UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime

Old 02-02-2015, 04:54 PM   #51
deoxys
Fog Badge

Monty Oum has passed away

http://roosterteeth.com/members/jour...php?id=3302319

Rest in peace Monty. Thank you for sharing your amazing talents with the world.

MAL - Fizzy Bubbles - Twitter

deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 10:56 PM   #52
Muyotwo
Dominator of Bike Levels

I was very sad to hear about his passing, although I've never watched RWBY, I did meet Monty at a convention down here and he seemed like a very good and kind man.
Old 04-21-2015, 08:36 AM   #53
SW!FT
Pokemon Trainer

I really enjoyed this series. In true RT fashion, the episodes were short and sweet, usually falling between 10 to 15 minutes. Very easy to watch, not very overwhelming, and I cried with the rest of the RT family when Monty was taken from us far too soon. I think I may have appreciated his animation in RvB a little more, but RWBY's animation style is still unique and I can respect that. All in all, a must watch, and I'm glad it will get a lot more views now that it's on Crunchyroll.

Rest in peace Monty, you will be sorely missed.

SW!FT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 12:39 PM   #54
biggggg5
Volcano Badge

Rwby is getting a game and it is looking to be greenlit on steam. I'm very excited for it and volume 3 coming out very soon. Go help get it greenlit here: http://rwbygame.com

Last edited by biggggg5; 10-14-2015 at 02:00 PM.
biggggg5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 01:53 PM   #55
Crys
seems theres a case aclaw

lol yes please
Old 10-14-2015, 03:44 PM   #56
PikaGod
Marsh Badge

Are they going to make the game look horrible by also using Poser for it?
Old 10-16-2015, 04:45 PM   #57
biggggg5
Volcano Badge

I meant to post this yesterday but new opening opening sequence and theme. Not sure what i think, a little heavy compared to the first two. It might grow on me though.

Old 10-17-2015, 12:41 AM   #58
deoxys
Fog Badge

That was pretty heavy. I should probably get around to watching Volume 2...

(mostly for Weiss...)
deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 12:46 AM   #59
biggggg5
Volcano Badge

Volume two is pretty good. seems to improve on a lot of the complaints ive seen in this thread imho

Old 10-17-2015, 11:51 AM   #60
Lady Kuno
The hostess with the mostess

Didn't like the 3rd opening. I thought the 2nd one was the best. Either way, they showed a lot of stuff at the RWBY panel at RTX so I'm already extremely hyped up.

PROUD OWNER OF A MISSINGNO. IN FIZZY BUBBLES
Lady Kuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 04:09 PM   #61
Crys

S3 First episode reactions
Spoiler: show
skreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Old 12-03-2015, 01:08 AM   #62
biggggg5
Volcano Badge

oh yeah so the game is on steam now in early access

Old 02-07-2016, 12:13 PM   #63
biggggg5
Volcano Badge

Holy crap in a hand basket

Old 02-07-2016, 12:23 PM   #64
Lady Kuno

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggggg5 View Post
Last week we went from 0-100 real quick. This week skyrocketed off into the center of the universe. I can't imagine what the finale will bring.

Old 02-14-2016, 11:34 AM   #65
Lady Kuno

So... when does season 4 come out?

Old 02-14-2016, 02:20 PM   #66
biggggg5
Volcano Badge

Quote:
^

Old 02-17-2016, 04:26 PM   #67
gmoyes
Thunder Badge

Send a message via Skype™ to gmoyes
Yeah RWBY has gotten darker and it has improved each season. There are still various bugs, but do you know what the best thing about RWBY is? Seeing the interactions between RT and the fandom. Here is probably the most heartwarming and meta reaction video ever. Of all time. (V3E9 spoilers)
gmoyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 12:50 AM   #68
Crys

Having just seen the finale on YT, since the RT website is too much of an effort for me:

Holy shit.
Old 05-13-2016, 06:09 PM   #69
gmoyes
Thunder Badge

An Open Letter to All Who Treasured Monty Oum. I found this linked from another forum I'm on. In it is a rather lengthy letter written by RWBY ex-animator Shane Newville about the state of RWBY post Monty. About how RWBY is moving away from Monty's dream and how it lead to him being fired from Roosterteeth. It's kinda heartwrenching reading as he admits that he is suffering from depression and you can see this throughout the letter. I felt like I should share this here.
Old 05-13-2016, 10:37 PM   #70
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmoyes View Post
An Open Letter to All Who Treasured Monty Oum. I found this linked from another forum I'm on. In it is a rather lengthy letter written by RWBY ex-animator Shane Newville about the state of RWBY post Monty. About how RWBY is moving away from Monty's dream and how it lead to him being fired from Roosterteeth. It's kinda heartwrenching reading as he admits that he is suffering from depression and you can see this throughout the letter. I felt like I should share this here.
I quickly read about 60% of the letter. So ... some questions for you and our other UPNers who are fans of RWBY ...

Q1. How much do you trust that Mr. Newville's word is undeniable truth vs. his version of the events that may contrast very differently from others' version of the events? Because the way he tells the story, it's clear that the Rooster Teeth producers are terrible people. But I'm wondering whether I'd feel just as strongly that Mr. Newville is a terrible employee suffering from delusions of grandeur and white knight syndrome if I were to read a 36-page open letter from the production staff.

Q2. Did you see noticeable differences between the Monty seasons and the post-Monty seasons? Without spoiling the story, what sorts of differences were they?

Q3. Did you enjoy Season 3 the same, more, or less than you enjoyed Season 2?

Q4. If you are aware of specific scenes that Shane Newville animated as the primary or sole animator, and likewise if you are aware of specific scenes animated by other animators, whose work would you say you prefer? Why?

Q5. Do you think people might have confused Mr. Newville's relationship with Monty's widow for something amorous? And if so, do you think that that might have played into why people at Rooster Teeth wanted the two of them off the project? (This is the big one for me. Shane writes the story as "We're clearly not having an affair and we're clearly Monty's two biggest allies," but even I was raising eyebrows throughout the story at how much time this guy spent with Monty's widow, and I have to think ... if people who loved Monty just as much as Shane did suspected that Shane and Monty's widow were having relations, then mightn't they think, "THOSE TWO ARE BETRAYING MONTY! FUCK, THEM! We're not going to let them, who are so disloyal to Monty Oum as to make out behind his dead back, have any hand in his legacy. We're going to force them out pronto.")

Q6. I don't really know how Rooster Teeth works, so tell me: when he talks about these "producers," are these people who are as ancient to Rooster Teeth as Monty was? Are any of these people the people you hear in the Let's Plays that they put up on YouTube, like Michael, Ray, Gavin, Ryan, and so on? Are they any of the people you see on the YouTube video game news channel The Know? Mr. Newville goes out of his way to never identify a single one of his villains by name, but I am quite curious to know if it's clear as day to the RWBY fandom who, specifically, he is calling out in his open letter -- and who they are, if they happen to be people I've been off and on seeing again on YouTube over the years.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 08:02 AM   #71
JustAnotherUser
Only Mostly Lurking

Send a message via Skype™ to JustAnotherUser
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
I quickly read about 60% of the letter. So ... some questions for you and our other UPNers who are fans of RWBY ...

Q1. How much do you trust that Mr. Newville's word is undeniable truth vs. his version of the events that may contrast very differently from others' version of the events? Because the way he tells the story, it's clear that the Rooster Teeth producers are terrible people. But I'm wondering whether I'd feel just as strongly that Mr. Newville is a terrible employee suffering from delusions of grandeur and white knight syndrome if I were to read a 36-page open letter from the production staff.

Q2. Did you see noticeable differences between the Monty seasons and the post-Monty seasons? Without spoiling the story, what sorts of differences were they?

Q3. Did you enjoy Season 3 the same, more, or less than you enjoyed Season 2?

Q4. If you are aware of specific scenes that Shane Newville animated as the primary or sole animator, and likewise if you are aware of specific scenes animated by other animators, whose work would you say you prefer? Why?

Q5. Do you think people might have confused Mr. Newville's relationship with Monty's widow for something amorous? And if so, do you think that that might have played into why people at Rooster Teeth wanted the two of them off the project? (This is the big one for me. Shane writes the story as "We're clearly not having an affair and we're clearly Monty's two biggest allies," but even I was raising eyebrows throughout the story at how much time this guy spent with Monty's widow, and I have to think ... if people who loved Monty just as much as Shane did suspected that Shane and Monty's widow were having relations, then mightn't they think, "THOSE TWO ARE BETRAYING MONTY! FUCK, THEM! We're not going to let them, who are so disloyal to Monty Oum as to make out behind his dead back, have any hand in his legacy. We're going to force them out pronto.")

Q6. I don't really know how Rooster Teeth works, so tell me: when he talks about these "producers," are these people who are as ancient to Rooster Teeth as Monty was? Are any of these people the people you hear in the Let's Plays that they put up on YouTube, like Michael, Ray, Gavin, Ryan, and so on? Are they any of the people you see on the YouTube video game news channel The Know? Mr. Newville goes out of his way to never identify a single one of his villains by name, but I am quite curious to know if it's clear as day to the RWBY fandom who, specifically, he is calling out in his open letter -- and who they are, if they happen to be people I've been off and on seeing again on YouTube over the years.
I'll try to answer some of this as best I can;

1) I don't doubt that there is at least some truth in what the letter puts forth - as other former RT staff and Monty's widow reblogged/retweeted/etc the letter, and especially considering one of RT's current staff put out this tweet - but I've seen many accounts that make me think there's more to the situation, and that Shane's emotional bias is skewing the perception of events in the letter. I would think RT have indeed made mistakes in regard to this situation, but I want to hear a statement out of them before I get off of my on-the-fence position

2) This is kind of difficult to answer, as Monty's died while season 3 was in production. I'm not certain how far in, sorry. I will say that I personally thought that the writing and "casual" animation were the best they've ever been (although the writing has never been the show's strong suit...), but the fight animation was all either equal or slightly lower quality. Everything else was about even.

3) Volume 3 is, at present, my favourite, followed by Volume 1 and then Volume 2. The second half of Volume 2 features, in my opinion, very inconsistant animation - some of it being just flat bad - and utterly garbage writing.

4) I don't know enough about the individual breakdown of "who animated what" to answer this one, sorry.

5) I've seen no statement of this in fan reaction to the letter on the RWBY subreddit and tumblr, and honestly I would also believe that he is being honest when he says there isn't and wasn't any romantic interaction between him and Monty's widow. The two seem close, but I would think it's in the same way Shane was close to Monty - a close friendship.

6) Most of the people involved in putting out Let's Plays under the RT banner are completely uninvolved with the production of their animation media outside of maybe the odd bit of VA; when he's talking about the "producers", he's probably referring to Grey Haddock (animation producer), Kerry Shawcross (one of the show's two writers and V3's director) and Miles Luna (the other writer); those three are the "face" of the production team to the community at present, as it were, and though there are other members those three are who the community knows best. He may also be indicating some of RT's other, higher-up staff in that description, but I don't know enough about their corporate structure to talk about that in detail.
Old 05-14-2016, 08:21 AM   #72
gmoyes
Thunder Badge

Q1: Well as I said, he mentioned that he was suffering from depression and you can tell. He was obviously close to Monty and his death was really felt by him. While I don't know why RT would estrange Monty's widow Sheena, but I understand why Shane didn't fit in after Monty. Monty was a one man army and Shane tried to pick up his mantle, but RWBY has outgrown that. While Monty and Shane had their own system, there were many other animators to consider and Shane couldn't adapt to the new system. I gather that much of what he experienced with the higher-up was clouded by his depression and took things to be personal attacks. The RT are usually a great bunch and I really don't see them to be as cruel as Shane portrays them to be.

Q2: The thing is, RWBY is steadily improving, so it's hard to tell what difference Monty would have made. I noticed that the fight animations took a bit of a hit in quality, but otherwise I'm not sure. The thing is, RWBY may be Monty's idea, but he's an animator, not a writer. Even in earlier seasons things have deviated from Monty's plans. Monty sneaked in stuff that was against what the writers wanted (Penny's fight at the end of season 1 being the prime example).

Q3: As I've said before, RWBY continues to improve. The quality of the animation has improved, the quality of the voice actors have improved and the lengths of the episodes have increased. However, this season is much darker than the previous ones, characters have died and the villains have had a major win. I enjoyed it and will continue watching it in the future. (note: RWBY Chibi is currently being shown)

Q4: According to the letter Shane did Blake vs Resse (a small part of a larger fight), Yang vs Mercury (whose tail end kickstarts the season's darkness) and Pyrrha vs Cinder. I'm not sure if I could pick out who animated what so *shrug*. He also talk about what Monty envisioned for Pyrrha vs Cinder, Blake/Yang vs Adam, and Ruby vs Neo/Torchwick. Truth be told, I think I prefer what ended up in the show as opposed what Shane said what Monty wanted. As I said before, Monty was an animator who wanted to make awesome fight scenes. However, if that is the main focus, the story may end up lacking.

Q5: RT is very understanding of relationships. Several employees have ended up dating and some have even been married. And I don't think they would have minded much if Shane was in a relationship with Sheena, romantic or not as long as it was respectful. Of course there is Shane's ex-wife to consider, but that sort of stuff is personal matters and RT shouldn't have much say on that. I truly think that Shane and Sheena have Monty's best interests at heart, but those interests might not be what's best for RWBY. Monty was very close to both of them and they shared his dream.

Q6: The current leaders and faces of RWBY are Kerry Shawcross and Miles Luna, director/writer/voice of Neptune and writer/voice of Jaune respectively. RT CEO Matt Hullum may have also been a factor and a bunch of others who run the company behind the scenes. Whoever Shane is accusing, they aren't bad people. I think the thing is that even though RT started as a half a dozen guys in a spare bedroom, it is still a business. Even though the community and friendships of RT are a focal point, they still need to make money like any other business.

I feel for Shane and he's had a rough time, but I understand why RT would let him go. RWBY is much bigger than Monty even if it's his dream. Shane quoted Monty with 'Keep moving forward', but he was stuck trying to fulfill Monty's wishes and not moving on. It's a sad story and I hope RT's reputation isn't effected much by this.
Old 10-22-2016, 04:05 PM   #73
biggggg5
Volcano Badge

So. How about that premiere?

Old 10-22-2016, 07:42 PM   #74
Heather
Naga's Voice

Oh right I need to resume catching up to this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTheFishGuy View Post
Quoth the Honchkrow (nevermore!).
Fizzy Member Post: Catherine Park
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 01:21 AM   #75
Lucario188
Thank you Daisy!

Quote:
So. How about that premiere?
I was not disappointed!! I like Ren's redesign the best.

More of my thoughts/reactions but also episode spoilers:
Spoiler: show

I think the kid who was doing farm work could be Spring. Otherwise I do not know what that part was about.

The team name should be RNGR xP

Jaune getting Pyrrah's armor integrated his weapon was pretty emotional. I love how the design at the bottom of the shield is her crown. Also he's wearing her sash~

I think the people that look like Blake in the credits could be her family.

In conclusion, I'm hyped for next week!

--
--
Quote:
[1/19/14] Kit Kat: Oh please, you can't do Emo.
[1/19/14] Kit Kat: You're like happy and shit.
Lucario188 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime