UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Entertainment

Old 02-27-2012, 10:47 AM   #26
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Was curious to know from where the saying "revenge is a dish best served cold" originated. Was surprised to find this, courtesy of Wikitionary:
Pierre Ambroise Francois Choderlos de Laclos (1741–1803) is often credited with the phrase's invention, with his 1782 book Les Liaisons Dangereuses being said to contain the line "La vengeance est un plat qui se mange froid." One of the first known English-language appearances is Kind Hearts and Coronets (1949): "Revenge is a dish which people of taste prefer to eat cold." It most famously appeared in its exact form in Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: "Ah, Kirk, my old friend. Do you know of the old Klingon proverb that revenge is a dish best served cold? It is very cold in space."
So certainly, it seems that the expression first appeared in French and very nearly identically to its current English form, to boot, but that it wasn't until The Wrath of Khan came along that the expression, in its present form, was popularized. That's very fascinating. Would have never in a million years suspected that this was anything other than Shakespeare.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 03:36 PM   #27
GrJackass
Night Man

have not read the thread yet, but i highly recommend deep space nine. its a really good series, i find it better than tng as a whole.

first season is kinda meh, but the same can doubly be said for tng, tng doesn't get truly good until mid season 4

”Fee, fie, foe, fum the End are Near at thou Bobbum. Time me open Bobbum Van trunk, for ruin Bobbum wif Equipmunk.”
GrJackass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 05:19 PM   #28
RaichuRocks
My Thoughts Protect You

I started out with TNG when I was little, but DS9 blew me away.

the best war battles Ive ever seen

Federation/Romulans/Klingons vs Dominion/Cardasians/Breen
Old 08-09-2012, 06:01 PM   #29
Amras.MG
Not sure if gone...

Yay necromancy.

I've been watching Star Trek: The Next Generation for a couple months now (since I broke my foot back in June). I absolutely love this show; it gets especially good after season 3 or so. I am now in the middle of season 5.

Anyone else here watch the show? What series should I watch after I finish TNG? Anyone want to chat about it?

Though no spoilers please =O
Amras.MG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 06:14 PM   #30
Talon87
時の彼方へ

When you ask what you should watch after TNG, if you're asking specifically about Star Trek television series, I would personally recommend DS9 because:
  1. I like it the most out of any of the Star Treks, but also
  2. it has the most tie-ins with TNG of any other Star Trek
I don't really want to give away more on that second point, and I want to stress that DS9 is very much its own show (as are all the Star Treks) and is not some sloppy half-sequel to TNG. But I just figure I'd nebulously mention Point #2 since you seem to like TNG so much.

However, you may not want to splurge on more Star Trek immediately. There are other science-fiction shows out there, popular ones, many of which I haven't seen. Some names you may want to investigate include Babylon 5 (to which DS9 is similar in many ways), Battlestar Galactica, and the 2000s Doctor Who. I'm not personally vouching for any of these, but they're all quite popular with their own legions of fans and are series you should probably look into if you're hungry for more serial science fiction.

If you don't want to say goodbye to Picard and the other crew members of the NCC-1701-D just yet, there's always the TNG Star Trek movies. They are 7 (Generations), 8 (First Contact), 9 (Insurrection), and 10 (Nemesis). Of these, the only one I'd really strongly recommend you watch is First Contact. Insurrection is pretty bad. Nemesis is pretty bad. (Probably one of the most disappointing films I've ever bought a movie ticket for.) And Generations is okay but it's kinda silly, has a plot that is about as strong/weak as a typical TNG episode (not an exceptional one, just a typical one), and may not appeal to you as much if you don't care for William Shatner or if you don't give two shits about Captain Kirk. But I wouldn't say that you need to have seen TOS to appreciate Generations: it's very much a TNG era film.
Old 08-09-2012, 06:18 PM   #31
DaveTheFishGuy
Primordial Fishbeast

Send a message via Skype™ to DaveTheFishGuy
I agree with most of what Talon's said. DS9 is by far my favourite Trek series, though I should really try to watch TNG all the way through.

Also Farscape is pretty good 'Trek-esque' sci-fi show if you feel like exploring other things, EmGee.
DaveTheFishGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 06:23 PM   #32
Amras.MG
Not sure if gone...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
When you ask what you should watch after TNG, if you're asking specifically about Star Trek television series, I would personally recommend DS9 because:
  1. I like it the most out of any of the Star Treks, but also
  2. it has the most tie-ins with TNG of any other Star Trek
I don't really want to give away more on that second point, and I want to stress that DS9 is very much its own show (as are all the Star Treks) and is not some sloppy half-sequel to TNG. But I just figure I'd nebulously mention Point #2 since you seem to like TNG so much.

However, you may not want to splurge on more Star Trek immediately. There are other science-fiction shows out there, popular ones, many of which I haven't seen. Some names you may want to investigate include Babylon 5 (to which DS9 is similar in many ways), Battlestar Galactica, and the 2000s Doctor Who. I'm not personally vouching for any of these, but they're all quite popular with their own legions of fans and are series you should probably look into if you're hungry for more serial science fiction.

If you don't want to say goodbye to Picard and the other crew members of the NCC-1701-D just yet, there's always the TNG Star Trek movies. They are 7 (Generations), 8 (First Contact), 9 (Insurrection), and 10 (Nemesis). Of these, the only one I'd really strongly recommend you watch is First Contact. Insurrection is pretty bad. Nemesis is pretty bad. (Probably one of the most disappointing films I've ever bought a movie ticket for.) And Generations is okay but it's kinda silly, has a plot that is about as strong/weak as a typical TNG episode (not an exceptional one, just a typical one), and may not appeal to you as much if you don't care for William Shatner or if you don't give two shits about Captain Kirk. But I wouldn't say that you need to have seen TOS to appreciate Generations: it's very much a TNG era film.
I should have been more specific - I was asking about specifically Star Trek stuff. I guess I'll finish the rest of TNG, then watch the TNG movies (strangely enough I've already seen First Contact with friends, so it'll be nice to rewatch it now that I'm a fan), and then move onto DS9. Battlestar Galactica and Dr. Who have both been recommended to me before, but... I dunno. Neither has really appealed to me that much. I've seen two episodes of the reboot of Dr. Who, and they were good, but not as good as something like TNG. I'll eventually end up watching that too, I suppose (especially since my friends keep pressuring me haha).

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTheFishGuy View Post
I agree with most of what Talon's said. DS9 is by far my favourite Trek series, though I should really try to watch TNG all the way through.

Also Farscape is pretty good 'Trek-esque' sci-fi show if you feel like exploring other things, EmGee.
I've never heard of Farscape before, though I think I've seen it on Netflix. I'll add it to my queue so I don't forget about it =O
Old 08-09-2012, 06:25 PM   #33
Emp
Volcano Badge

Once you finish with TNG I strongly suggest watching the movies Star Trek: Generations and First Contact. The latter is my favourite Star Trek movie by far, including the reboot. All the other TNG movies suck though. In terms of series, you have a choice between DS9 and Voyager. You will always hear trekkies dis Voyager whilst most casual watchers will say DS9 is the least interesting (source: my housemates, my brother and several friends). Voyager is panned mainly because

<Premise of show follows, although it might come as a minor spoiler>

Spoiler: show
You'd expect a show where a Starfleet crew and a group federation outlaws are lost in space together to be far more grittier, when what you actually get is nothing like that at all.

But I think Season's 4-8 of Voyager play host to some of my favourite episodes in the franchise. There are really fantastic characters like Janeway, The Doctor and Seven of Nine - however weaker characters like Chakotay (the commanding first officer) and Harry Kim make some episodes unwatchable.

I don’t think I’d have the patience to watch every episode, because some of them are pretty bad. I would suggest picking through the most acclaimed episodes, or skipping the ones rated the most poor (one thing I know is that the internet is flooded with lists like this on all the Star Trek series). I’ve not seen every episode of DS9, but whilst I’ll admit it probably had the better writing team, Voyager makes up for it with its comedy and action.

There's a lot more I'd be willing to say on the matter but a 12 hour shift has pretty much turned my brain to mush. I'd probably suggest moving onto DS9 from TNG as the most linear option - but you should definitely give Voyager a chance.

FB PASBL TL 4

26-4-0 KO74 TP208
B Ref SP 2

Emp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 06:29 PM   #34
DaveTheFishGuy
Primordial Fishbeast

I can agree that Voyager - while I like it due to nostalgia of coming home from school and watching it at like 6pm - is not great. I've seen every episode and some of them I was just like 'wait, it's been 45 minutes already? nothing happened!'.

I really need to watch new Galactica, saw the starting miniseries but not much else. I can recommend Doctor Who, but if you're not British a lot of the references/humour can be lost on you.

>The latter is my favourite Star Trek movie by far, including the reboot

Really? I don't much care for First Contact personally, I mean the Borg are awesome but they suffer some serious villian decay over the course of this movie. Then again my favourite's Wrath of Khan and I've not seen a single episode of TOS xd
Old 08-10-2012, 08:59 PM   #35
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

Star Trek: Generations was pretty bad. I know it's pretty much necessary to watch to understand the latter movies, but it was far from a good Star Trek movie.

Star Trek: First Contact was basically the new Star Trek 2: The Wrath of Khan. It was okay, but it lost all the appeal of Pichard's brooding nature in favor of a more action packed movie. Wrath of Khan was better because Kirk stayed in character.

Also, episodes that amount to nothing is exceedingly pretty common in all the Star Treks. Like when the DS9 crew crash landed on an future planet and then went back and time and undid/redid the events which led to the weird paradox.

Babylon 5 all the way!
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 10:29 PM   #36
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Everyone's of course familiar with the video compilation of all the times Worf gets physically pwned, but did you know that there was a second video which shows all the times Worf makes a suggestion and then gets ignored or turned down? I'd never seen the second one before tonight and am watching right now for the first time. It is priceless!
Old 04-11-2013, 10:59 PM   #37
Amras.MG
Not sure if gone...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
Everyone's of course familiar with the video compilation of all the times Worf gets physically pwned, but did you know that there was a second video which shows all the times Worf makes a suggestion and then gets ignored or turned down? I'd never seen the second one before tonight and am watching right now for the first time. It is priceless!
Hahaha wow he does get denied all the time. I wonder how often his advice is actually taken?
Old 04-12-2013, 10:48 AM   #38
Mercutio
Banned

Ah, Deep Space Nine. By far the best TV show to come out of the Star Trek franchise but pretty well pissing all over Gene Roddenbury's original idea.

Man I love Deep Space Nine.
Mercutio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 03:06 PM   #39
DaveTheFishGuy
Primordial Fishbeast

Relicanth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercutio View Post
Ah, Deep Space Nine. By far the best TV show to come out of the Star Trek franchise but pretty well pissing all over Gene Roddenbury's original idea.

Man I love Deep Space Nine.
{brofist}

Fizzy Bubbles - Cable Club Post - Wild Future

Various awesome artstuffs by DaisyInari

Old 04-12-2013, 04:04 PM   #40
Mercutio
Banned

Also I have definitely had... dreams... about Jadzia.
Old 04-12-2013, 04:08 PM   #41
DaveTheFishGuy
Primordial Fishbeast

Who hasn't?
Old 04-12-2013, 04:15 PM   #42
Mercutio
Banned

Well the spots do go all the way down.
Old 04-12-2013, 04:45 PM   #43
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Regarding Jadzia's beauty ...

(DS9 spoilers)

Spoilers for Season 7

Terry Farrell's reasons for leaving DS9 sadly ruined the sex appeal of her character, Jadzia Dax, for me. Before that, she was a light TV crush during my young teenage years. Very beautiful woman, probably the most beautiful that Star Trek has ever had in any of its main casts. Whereas TNG forced men to pick between the lesser of two evils in Gates McFadden and Marina Sirtis, DS9 offered an easy, easy choice in Terry Farrell over Nana Visitor. (Sorry, Nana.) Was not a fan of Blonde Shorthair Angelina Jolie (a.k.a. Jeri Ryan) nor Silicone Lips And Orange Tan Skin (a.k.a. Jolene Blalock), and Idon'tevenrememberherrealname (the lady who played Hoshi Sato) was just some lady. But yes, Terry Farrell was a very, very beautiful woman as Jadzia Dax on DS9.

I know a lot of men say that they prefer Nicole DeBoer, but she was physically far too babyfaced / girlie whereas Jadzia was physically "all woman", mature, ripe. Also, I thought Ezri was boring as fuck, whereas Jadzia was just so much fun. Jadzia not only was fun but seemed to have fun with the Dax symbiont, tapping into its past lives (mostly Curzon's) to relate to Benjamin and the others. Ezri, on the other hand, was just this hopelessly somber blah who seemed like she was in a permanent state of half-mourning for all her past lives.
Old 04-12-2013, 04:48 PM   #44
Mercutio
Banned

> Hoshi Sato not attractive

Ah, you have not seen In a Mirror Darkly.
Old 04-12-2013, 05:04 PM   #45
Talon87
時の彼方へ

"just some lady" =/= "not attractive". I'm just saying that she's par for the Hollywood course and could easily be found in any community in America with population greater than 15,000. But I would pick, did pick, Hoshi over T'Pol for the all of two seasons I watched Enterprise. It's just that Hoshi's personality was sort of like ... that girl who has a crush on you but you don't reciprocate because she has a huge forehead and plays soccer and isn't even very good at it and ... in fact, she's the type for whom no one's ever reciprocated her feelings, so this poor girl's never had a boyfriend before, was always picked last or second to last for sports teams at school, so on and so forth ... she's that sort of personality, and all the baggage that that entails, carried on over into the framework of what's meant to be an accomplished career woman who is the world's #1 xenolinguistics expert at such a young age and who is, ŕ la Jadzia's relationship with Sisko I think it was meant to be, an old-school friend of the captain's who is able to treat him like an old college buddy and not like the senior officer he really is. But unlike the sometimes surgical expertise with which DS9 was written, the trainwreck that was Enterprise, amongst many missteps, lost Hoshi's relationship with Jonathan in the messwork of his all-too-similar relationship with BFF Trip Tucker.

It's hard to rank Trek women because, frankly, some of them aged much better than others (for example, Marina Sirtis evolved into a smoking hot MILF by the time of Voyager ... or at least as close to a MILF as Trek's ever gotten), but if I had to rank them as they appeared in their debut series (and not in other Trek series nor in any of the films), I'd say that while Hoshi might be above average for me, she certainly isn't smoking hot.

That stated, no, I haven't seen the episode you're referring to. I assume from the title that it's an alternate universe episode; and I assume from your comment that Hoshi must be evil in it and very hot. Asian women, specifically Asian women who were the nice nerd of the group, tend to become much hotter when they undergo that corruption process. That was kinda-sorta the whole deal with Sailor Mercury in Sailor Moon. That stated, I've always hated the so-called "Mirror Universe" episodes of Star Trek. They were among my least favorite DS9 episodes, and I had to really resist the urge to skip right on past them every time they came up when I re-watched DS9 a couple of years ago. (In their defense, they were much more enjoyable than I remembered. In my defense, they were still among my least favorite. )
Old 04-12-2013, 05:11 PM   #46
Mercutio
Banned

Oh yeah the Mirror Universe in general was a weird idea that DS9 sort of did well but also not, but I share your total lack of any interest in said episodes. Yes. the episode in question is a Mirror episode (and is much more in tune with TOS kind of stuff but is still a bit... weird). But you should at least look for the various scenes where Mirror Hoshi is a sex god.

Also I get the Troi is hotter as she gets older thing but Troi in general just strikes me as everything that was wrong with TNG's usage of women.
Old 04-12-2013, 05:22 PM   #47
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Also I get the Troi is hotter as she gets older thing but Troi in general just strikes me as everything that was wrong with TNG's usage of women.
Very, very much so. As a man and as a ST:TNG fan, it's honestly embarrassing to look back on many of Troi's appearances. But at the very least, things got progressively better for Marina Sirtis as time went on. She eventually lost the leotard circa Season 5, graduating to a blue Star Fleet uniform. Then by the time we hit Voyager she was allowed to finally just let down her hair, unpermed and unstyled but still nicely combed.

But yeah, TNG has got some pretty egregiously chauvinistic clips in there, one of the most famous being that one cameltoe exercise scene. (I mean, even without the cameltoe it's still awful. Such a RIDICULOUS Barbie doll scene! >_<)
Old 04-12-2013, 05:34 PM   #48
Mercutio
Banned

You could probably write a book on Troi as a manifestation of everything feminism fights against. Ridiculous costume (even compared to first season TNG in general), basically exists to be sad about things/a damsel in distress/open her legs, uttely useless in any situation which is not directly related to being a counsellor or having inconsistent telepathic powers.

Now, Crusher, there was a good character. Also Gates is hot, what are you on about.
Old 04-12-2013, 05:38 PM   #49
Mercutio
Banned

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpKx7Oi0oeM

Ahahaha Data.
Old 04-12-2013, 10:03 PM   #50
Amras.MG
Not sure if gone...

Quote:
Now, Crusher, there was a good character. Also Gates is hot, what are you on about.
All of this. *brofist*

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Entertainment