UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Debate

Old 09-19-2012, 01:28 PM   #76
Mercutio
Banned

Partially, obviously. Not entirely. But this is Gove's argument.
Mercutio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 04:57 AM   #77
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

Send a message via Skype™ to Concept
Elsie posted this on facebook. Hilarious, but more to the point I for one do actually appreciate that he not only apologised but that he got the problem right. It was bloody stupid to make personal pledges.

Didn't vote for his party last time and probably won't next time but respect somewhat raised.
Concept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 07:41 AM   #78
kaisap112
Volcano Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Concept View Post
Elsie posted this on facebook. Hilarious, but more to the point I for one do actually appreciate that he not only apologised but that he got the problem right. It was bloody stupid to make personal pledges.

Didn't vote for his party last time and probably won't next time but respect somewhat raised.
I sort of wish all politicians who can't keep the promises they make during the elections would make formal apologies, but then we'd have hours on end of "apolomercials". How about you only make promises you can keep?

But wait, that's not exactly part of politics anymore, is it?
Old 09-20-2012, 01:36 PM   #79
Amras.MG
Not sure if gone...

Anymore?
Amras.MG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 01:43 PM   #80
deoxys
Fog Badge

Quote:

Wow, that's something you wouldn't see in America.

MAL - Fizzy Bubbles - Twitter

deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 01:49 PM   #81
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

A week ago I'd have said the same about the UK. The actual, non-musical version can be found here, although apparently the musical version is set to be somewhat more well known.

Last edited by Concept; 09-20-2012 at 01:52 PM.
Old 09-21-2012, 06:38 AM   #82
Mercutio
Banned

Yeah I did not see that coming, thought he'd wait until election year to do that. However, he's smart to do it, showing I will never be a professional politician. It was silly of them to promise it, really, but you can understand why they did (even though they never intended to keep it).
Old 09-21-2012, 06:43 AM   #83
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

>but you can understand why they did

Because most of the people who vote for them are young and overly idealistic students? :p

I was amused when they lost both my constituency (Oxford East by about 4000 to Labour) and one next door (Oxford West and Abingdon by about 100 to the Tories) despite having ridiculous numbers of students in each. Then again their candidate for Oxford East was a complete condescending jackass.
Old 09-21-2012, 07:37 AM   #84
Mercutio
Banned

Quote:
>but you can understand why they did

Because most of the people who vote for them are young and overly idealistic students? :p

I was amused when they lost both my constituency (Oxford East by about 4000 to Labour) and one next door (Oxford West and Abingdon by about 100 to the Tories) despite having ridiculous numbers of students in each. Then again their candidate for Oxford East was a complete condescending jackass.
No, because most people who like the Lib Dems as a party are short termist. Whatever they may say or think about themselves, they are fundamentally concerned with short term benefits, be those political or material.

Clegg may try and define British politics as a fight between Conservatism, Social Democracy and Liberalism but it isn't. Anyone who is truly a liberal in this country either sympathises with the Libs Dem because they see no other option or for the Tories.
Old 10-12-2012, 12:19 PM   #85
Mercutio
Banned

So the police are calling on Mitchell to resign. Opinions on this?

I think the idea is ridiculous.
Old 10-12-2012, 12:26 PM   #86
kaisap112
Volcano Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercutio View Post
So the police are calling on Mitchell to resign. Opinions on this?

I think the idea is ridiculous.
Who is this Mitchell?
Old 10-12-2012, 12:35 PM   #87
Mercutio
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaisap112 View Post
Who is this Mitchell?
Damn it, why doesn't everyone in the world know about obscure British political stories?

Link to one of the original stories. Basically, the Conservative Chief Whip (Chief Whip is basically the guy who ensures that MPs vote the way they're supposed to) called a police officer a pleb. This has become a bit of a farce. He recently met with the Police Federation and, apparently, pissed off every single person there.
Old 10-16-2012, 05:54 PM   #88
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

Wait wait wait. They haven't extraditied McKinnon? But the US asked us to! We always extradite to the US on the most tenuous of charges (see; the the Natwest 3).
Old 10-22-2012, 01:50 PM   #89
Mercutio
Banned

Being cynical about it, if you hypothetically believe what the US Gov believes about him, it's still unlikely that you'd see this coalition goverent sign that particular extradition off. The guy is mentally handicapped sob story waiting to make the tabloids, as opposed to Abu Hamza, who is also a vulnerable guy but might be a terrorist (though probably isn't).
Old 11-10-2012, 04:19 PM   #90
Mercutio
Banned

So this ridiculous implosion of the establishment has claimed the new DG of the Beeb. Entwhistle has gone. For some reason.

Any reactions? Mine is basically "fffffffffff"
Old 11-10-2012, 10:35 PM   #91
Lonely Cubone
Gee, Brain...

Send a message via MSN to Lonely Cubone
I think it's ridiculous that Entwhistle has resigned over this when Schofield/ITV got away with flashing a piece of paper with some names of potential Paedophiles that he read off the internet only last week and absolutely nobody from any newspaper resigned over much less subtly and entirely wrongly accusing Chris Jeffries of being a murderer last year.

That said, Entwhistle didn't really look cut out for the job from the start and I think he may have just realised that he's out of his depth and is trying to save Newsnight and get out at the same time.

That too said, whoever decided to broadcast that piece on Newsnight without running the proper checks in the wake of the beating they were already getting over Saville is flat out dumb. However, it clearly wasn't Entwhistle.
Lonely Cubone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:02 AM   #92
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

I'm... not entirely sure what's happening. The jist I got is that the Beeb is being blamed for someone lying to them, but the guy who actually falsey accused a man of molesting him doesn't seem to be coming up at all. Am confuse. Although I'm also not entirely sure why someone accusing someone else of being a child molester went straight through the Beeb rather than, y'know, the police and the Beeb then reporting on the case. That seems stupid on everyones part.

But yeah, what I got was that some utter dickbag blatantly made stuff up about a senior politician molesting him as a child and the Beeb is taking the blame because they were stupid enough to broadcast it rather than telling him to go to the bloody police like a non-retarded human being.

Last edited by Concept; 11-12-2012 at 09:09 AM.
Old 01-07-2013, 02:37 AM   #93
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Not sure if this is an ideal thread for the question but: is Channel 4 to you guys what Fox is to us? A channel enjoyed by many, sure, but stereotypically associated moreso with rednecks (and by extension from that we have xenophobes, racists, ultra-nationalists, etc)? I realize it may sound like a crazy question if the answer is "No," but the reason I ask is that I've noticed a disproportionate amount of xenophobic comments on YouTube uploads of modern Channel 4 programs vs. random English television irrespective of era or channel, and I was just wondering if it was a total coincidence or if Channel 4 indeed does disproportionately attract that sort of crowd.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 04:59 AM   #94
Spikkle
Cascade Badge

Send a message via MSN to Spikkle
C4 is the 'alternative' channel to the more mainstream BBC and ITV. Everyone already has their own opinion of the former, so I'm not touching it with a barge-pole. The latter likes to chase ratings with soaps and reality shows.

4's journalism in particular tends to be a bit more cynical and incisive, often presenting a counterpoint to the more pro-establishment reporting that goes on in the above two channels - good examples are Jon Snow and Charlie Brooker.

So, I can understand why it might attract people with a chip on their shoulder.

Spikkle ------ Hollo ------ Tyke ------ Kooky Monster ------ Blake ------ Rockon

PASBL Squad | Fizzy Bubbles | Winner of deo's Award for Least Intelligent Comment of All Time

Need refs for: vs. Copy (new match)

Bonus:
Spoiler: show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyranidos View Post
Pikachu is like me when I play tennis. If I play someone that sucks, I start to suck and lose. But if I play someone good, I play somewhat decently and still lose.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowshocker View Post
"One cross referee; one wayward pinch of banned narcotic substance, one RNG... AND KABLOOIE!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Emperor View Post
And the round starts off with both Pokemon pulling out a Monopoly Board and.. it seems to work! Relicanth starts things off by picking the Tophat. Vulpix seems to be upset, as he coveted that piece. Luckily for him he does just that! Vulpix uses Covet and gets to play with the Tophat piece. Relicanth looks quite upset by these turn of events, and decides to use the Car instead!

The round continues with Relicanth landing on Central Avenue! He decides to purchase the property.. it's super effective! Vulpix instead decides to use Imprison! Suddenly Relicanth finds himself in jail! What an exciting twist! The round ends with Relicanth unable to do anything else at the moment.

Last edited by Spikkle; 01-08-2013 at 02:48 PM. Reason: Old Charlie Brooker link was taken down, put in a new one
Spikkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:30 AM   #95
DaveTheFishGuy
Primordial Fishbeast

Send a message via Skype™ to DaveTheFishGuy
I like C4, but I wouldn't say it's comparable to Fox at all. I'm not sure any of the main channels over here are, there's probably some deeply-conservative one buried deep in the Sky list but I have Freeview and therefore don't care.

Like Spikkle said, you get a lot of cynicism on C4 (not that it's not present on the Beeb or ITV), the original comedy it produces tends to be a lot darker or outrageous than the more light-hearted sitcoms you get on the Beeb, and the drama programs it creates usually cross some kind of line too. But these are reasons that I like it.

inb4 Kush comes along and tells me I'm wrong.
DaveTheFishGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 01:33 PM   #96
Mercutio
Banned

Nah you guys have pretty much nailed it.

It's odd. I'm now working in parliament* (wooo) and we lowly grunts often use BBC as our source of background not particularly important news stories, largely because they have the largest capacity to pick up things that we're saying to them so we want to know their angle and because Democracy Live is more up to the minute than reading the briefings. But then my boss has Sky News on in his office all the time justfor a change of scenery.

I would usually choose to watch BBC news at home, but I do like Channel 4. They're often a little more in depth and a little more cynical. You have to remember that the Beeb is fairly pro establishment/status quo, whereas Channel 4 doesn't really give a shit.

ITN, like ITV itself, is garbage in my opinion.

*Yeah I keep going on about this, but it's exciting so bite me :p
Old 02-05-2013, 06:30 PM   #97
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

>Gay marriage bill passes the commons.

For the first time in quite some time I am proud of my country. What a great step for not only equality of sexual orientation, but freedom of religion too.
Old 02-05-2013, 06:34 PM   #98
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
>Gay marriage bill passes the commons.

For the first time in quite some time I am proud of my country. What a great step for not only equality of sexual orientation, but freedom of religion too.
I read that the conservatives who voted against it were thumping the numbers -- something like 132 for vs. 140 against? Something like that, I believe I read. And they were saying, "This means that those of us who voted against it are with the majority of our party. So there. " And I was like, "Geeeeeee, way to be on the losing side of history there, bub. ^^;"

Was surprised to hear Cameron spoke out so favorably about the result. I would've figured he'd be the sort to either keep his mouth shut until it passed both houses (has it?) or else the sort to not be too keen on huge liberal changes like this.

EDIT: Here's the article. 136 against vs. 127 for as far as conservatives went.
Old 02-05-2013, 06:39 PM   #99
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
I read that the conservatives who voted against it were thumping the numbers -- something like 132 for vs. 140 against? Something like that, I believe I read. And they were saying, "This means that those of us who voted against it are with the majority of our party. So there. " And I was like, "Geeeeeee, way to be on the losing side of history there, bub. ^^;"

Was surprised to hear Cameron spoke out so favorably about the result. I would've figured he'd be the sort to either keep his mouth shut until it passed both houses (has it?) or else the sort to not be too keen on huge liberal changes like this.
It hasn't gone to the Lords yet, but even if they decide to send it back it would be a futile gesture - if the Commons passes a bill three times the Lords can no longer block it, and with the numbers (400-175 in favour) it'll have no trouble passing the Commons three times if it has to I shouldn't think.

A bit surprised Cameron has done that too, though. I mean, he is more liberal that a good portion of his party - and this result and his reaction will help him keep Lib Dem support which has been a bit difficult to come by since the main thing they hoped to get out of the coalition (electoral reform) flopped, but with UKIP (UK Independence Party) polling at somewhere around 10-12% these days I'm surprised he seems so willing to alienate the exact sort of MPs and voters most likely to jump ship in that direction.

EDIT the first: Although he did recently promise an in-out referendum on the EU for after the next election, which may mitigate his alienation of those voters.

Last edited by Concept; 02-05-2013 at 06:45 PM.
Old 02-05-2013, 06:47 PM   #100
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Without meaning to Americanize every overseas discussion, I take it the UKIP are like your guys' equivalent of the Tea Party people we have over here? Incredibly zealous about patriotism, religion, small government, and overwhelmingly favored by white working class men vs. any other ethnic, income, or gender group?

Whatever they are, their party emblem screams "WONKA BAR" to me.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Debate