Go Back   UPNetwork > Independent Forums > Fizzy Bubbles > FB Time Out
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 03-04-2013, 06:39 PM   #26226
EpicSquirtle
Adrift in a sea of dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by jolteonjak View Post
Does anyone know if a Gen V Ghost Curse affects a Normal Type? I haven't tested it yet...mostly because I don't have any Ghost types with Curse.
Curse is a status move so it will affect normal types.
Old 03-04-2013, 06:43 PM   #26227
jolteonjak
Volcano Badge

Perfect. Just what I was hoping for! I need an artist now.
Old 03-04-2013, 06:51 PM   #26228
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicSquirtle View Post
That's not quite right. Thunder Wave is a status move too yet it obviously has no effect on Ground types. Toxic is a status move but it has no effect against Steel types. Etc. So I wouldn't say that it's being a status move is what explains why it works the way that it does.

Curse is strange though in that if it targeted the user then it ought not to work on Normal types in Gen 5, but it does, and if it targeted the opponent then a Ghost type shouldn't be able to use Curse against a Normal type, but I'm pretty sure they can. So rather than thinking of Curse as a move which targets the user or the opponent, I guess instead we should think of it as a move programmed with some very specific and special circumstances. *shrug*

Anyway, to answer jolteonjak's question, Curse does still work when a Normal type uses it. I've had a Curselax on Pokémon-Online for well over a year now and they tend to only allow legal movesets, so ...
Old 03-04-2013, 07:31 PM   #26229
jolteonjak
Volcano Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicSquirtle View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
That's not quite right. Thunder Wave is a status move too yet it obviously has no effect on Ground types. Toxic is a status move but it has no effect against Steel types. Etc. So I wouldn't say that it's being a status move is what explains why it works the way that it does.

Curse is strange though in that if it targeted the user then it ought not to work on Normal types in Gen 5, but it does, and if it targeted the opponent then a Ghost type shouldn't be able to use Curse against a Normal type, but I'm pretty sure they can. So rather than thinking of Curse as a move which targets the user or the opponent, I guess instead we should think of it as a move programmed with some very specific and special circumstances. *shrug*

Anyway, to answer jolteonjak's question, Curse does still work when a Normal type uses it. I've had a Curselax on Pokémon-Online for well over a year now and they tend to only allow legal movesets, so ...

Are you both referring to the when a Ghost type uses Curse against a Normal type (takes half the ghost's HP to drain 1/4 the victim's HP)?
Old 03-04-2013, 07:35 PM   #26230
EpicSquirtle

Quote:
Are you both referring to the when a Ghost type uses Curse against a Normal type (takes half the ghost's HP to drain 1/4 the victim's HP)?
Yes I am referring to the ghost version of curse.
Old 03-04-2013, 07:38 PM   #26231
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I don't think I could have been any clearer. In Paragraph 2, I am talking about both scenarios. I am talking about a Gen 5 Ghost using Curse against a Gen 5 Normal-type target, and I am also talking about a Gen 5 Normal type using Curse to boost its own stats. In Paragraph 3, I am talking just about Gen 5 Normal types using Curse to boost their own stats.
Old 03-04-2013, 08:00 PM   #26232
Escalion
Getting married! :D

Send a message via Skype™ to Escalion
How about keeping it simple?
Ghost-curse works on Normal-types because it has always been a ???-type move.
In Gen V they only changed the type of the move. Not the mechanics, none of them.
And that's why Normal-types are not immune.

So basically, the move is like hidden-power or struggle, which also hit Ghost Pokémon even though the moves are officially Normal.
Old 03-04-2013, 08:05 PM   #26233
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Escalion View Post
How about keeping it simple?
Ghost-curse works on Normal-types because it has always been a ???-type move.
In Gen V they only changed the type of the move. Not the mechanics, none of them.
And that's why Normal-types are not immune.
The problem is, your "keeping it simple" has instead produced a wrong conclusion. According to you, in Gen 2 it was a ???-type move (correct); and that this typing was the reason it hit Normals (Assumption #1); and that none of the mechanics were changed when it came to Gen 5 (Assumption #2). But we know that both of these assumptions cannot be correct. It has to be only one or the other. Either the mechanics were changed, or else you're wrong for thinking that the ??? typing of the move had anything to do with why it hit Normals.
Old 03-04-2013, 08:07 PM   #26234
jolteonjak
Volcano Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
I don't think I could have been any clearer. In Paragraph 2, I am talking about both scenarios. I am talking about a Gen 5 Ghost using Curse against a Gen 5 Normal-type target, and I am also talking about a Gen 5 Normal type using Curse to boost its own stats. In Paragraph 3, I am talking just about Gen 5 Normal types using Curse to boost their own stats.
I followed up until you mentioned your own Curselax. And that's where I got confused. =\
Old 03-04-2013, 08:13 PM   #26235
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
I followed up until you mentioned your own Curselax. And that's where I got confused. =\
That was where I got confused myself: I was writing the reply by phone and got a bit lost in my own thoughts, forgetting that you were asking about B and not A. Still, when you asked me what I was talking about, I think it was pretty clear. ^^; Both A and B in Par 2, and then A in Par 3.
Old 03-04-2013, 08:16 PM   #26236
jolteonjak
Volcano Badge

Sorry about that. Thank you Talon. Thank you EpicSquirtle.
Old 03-04-2013, 08:31 PM   #26237
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Lil' Bluey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marion Ette View Post
Battles have always been my RP kryptonite, whether I'm writing updates involving a Pokemon battle or participating in one myself. I'm not sure why it's so hard for me to conceptualize battles as opposed to every other RP situation I've encountered, but I've avoided PASBL for precisely this reason (and because I'm not much of a battler). That said, I'm hoping to overcome that weakness in my upcoming battle with lilblue.
I find describing Attacks themselves tend to get pretty tedious, so I focus more on the reactions to them, if that helps. I'm not much of a Battler either. Bringing Waffle (Rotom-H) and Blue (Drifloon) along also gives me more opportunity to bounce off them.

Oh, and to answer the earlier question about having trouble RPing my trainer, my character used to be a goodie-two-shoes who literally wore a Corsola gown... I found her difficult/tiresome to portray though so I changed her to be more realistic (i.e. myself).
Old 03-04-2013, 08:58 PM   #26238
Marion Ette
Blades and Butterflies

You should do what I do! Turn your starter into a trainer character and give her one of the most insane storylines in FB history! On second thought, maybe that's a terrible idea. XD Eh, I love RPing Coselle anyway, even if she's a complete loon. After all, I'M a complete loon, myself... I just hide it better.

FB Member Post
FB Memakyu
FB Affinity Avenue

Credit to Pengyzu for my user bar. Thank you!
Old 03-04-2013, 09:05 PM   #26239
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Lil' Bluey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marion Ette View Post
You should do what I do! Turn your starter into a trainer character and give her one of the most insane storylines in FB history! On second thought, maybe that's a terrible idea. XD Eh, I love RPing Coselle anyway, even if she's a complete loon. After all, I'M a complete loon, myself... I just hide it better.
I can't imagine Custard as a human... Heck, I don't think I could stand to hear his complaints if he could talk.

>v> *throws Icy Rock*

Last edited by lilboocorsola; 03-04-2013 at 09:29 PM.
Old 03-04-2013, 09:12 PM   #26240
Marion Ette
Blades and Butterflies

I imagine Custard looking exactly like Santa Claus, only with a really pointy nose. XD

FB Member Post
FB Memakyu
FB Affinity Avenue

Old 03-04-2013, 09:13 PM   #26241
OkikuMew
Droppin' CDs and beats

Max as a human? Hmmm, that would be interesting... He would actually make a good boyfriend for Okiku, if Okiku was part Pokémon or Max turned fully human

In completely different news, I'm not a jewellery kind of person, but I think I found the perfect and most cutest ring for me... *-*

Art || FB || WF || Tumblr
Old 03-04-2013, 09:22 PM   #26242
uhhhhh
Beloved Mascot

Send a message via Skype™ to uhhhhh
>human Gaspard

Eh... it would be interesting I suppose. I can imagine him as a little kid tagging along with Connor. XD
Old 03-04-2013, 09:27 PM   #26243
Missingno. Master
An actual game I made!

Gemini as a human... The only thing I know about a human version of a Weezing is that he would have two heads. It's pretty tough to imagine.
Old 03-04-2013, 09:31 PM   #26244
Balmund
'Munds of fun

Send a message via Skype™ to Balmund
Human Orchrist. *points to art thread*

I'm not sure how differently she would be if she actually transformed. It would probably be ridiculously awkward since she has spent the entirety of her life without limbs at all. Arms and legs are alien to her, and I can easily imagine her struggling to effectively move as her spine just isn't the same anymore and the rest just gets in the way, which would be incredibly irritating.

That, and stuff like the need to wear clothes (really humans, why *do* you wear them?), human language, feeding (I have to actually chew my food now? Can't I just dislodge my jaw and swallow it whole like I always do?), and other stuff. I'm not sure I'll find myself RPing all of that, but I guess that's an idea for sometime. I had this adventure idea where I would effectively have the Trainer become the Pokémon and the Pokémon become the Trainer, and then see what happens from there. Would be interesting to see how would something like that develop.

::FB::WF::

Last edited by Balmund; 03-04-2013 at 09:39 PM.
Old 03-04-2013, 10:33 PM   #26245
EpicSquirtle

Sparky as a human..... Quite interesting. I could imagine him being a small kid who's very timid and hangs with Jake because he looks up to him and likes adventures.
Old 03-04-2013, 10:44 PM   #26246
Sneaze
Mrow?

Joe as a human... would probably look very similar to my character and be even more of a prick.

Daisy wins at life for making this Battle Cut
Old 03-04-2013, 10:52 PM   #26247
CyberBlastoise
Team Mother?

Silver as a human...honestly, I'd imagine him as a sort of monk who prefers to wait and strike at the right time. And he'd probably try to convince Bill to think things more through than just to charge head first like he's been doing in the past 3 areas.

Fizzy Bubbles

PASBL
Old 03-04-2013, 11:41 PM   #26248
jolteonjak
Volcano Badge

Astoria updates will be posted on Tuesday (my tomorrow)! I just want to take a few minutes and proofread.
Old 03-04-2013, 11:43 PM   #26249
Gemini Spark
Weavile Pillow

Send a message via Skype™ to Gemini Spark
Sera as a human... pretty frail looking, but beautiful beyond compare. Plus psychic powers! =D

Battlecut made by the crazy Daisy! *happy snek sounds*
Twitch | YouTube | Twitter | Wild Future
Old 03-05-2013, 12:59 AM   #26250
Marion Ette
Blades and Butterflies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemini Spark View Post
Sera as a human... pretty frail looking, but beautiful beyond compare. Plus psychic powers! =D
Y'know, Coselle could set you up with some humans and a needle and get that goin' for you in a jiffy... There's just one lit-tle thing you need to give in re-turn... *Holds palms beneath Hyrem's eyes*

> Starter Pokemon as a human

Coselle. There's your answer. XD

FB Member Post
FB Memakyu
FB Affinity Avenue

Closed Thread

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > Independent Forums > Fizzy Bubbles > FB Time Out