UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Entertainment

Old 10-16-2011, 09:32 PM   #1
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

Froslass AMC's Walking Dead

Not really Robert Kirkman's work due to so many television changes, but it's still very enjoyable.

In a world where zombies walk the streets, Rick Grimms awakes from a coma to find the world in shambles. He finds his way out and eventually regroups with his family outside of Atlanta along with other survivors. Now they work to survive this apocalyptic nightmare.

The season season premiere just ended and wow it was rather exciting. Aside from some small dumb argument from people, it was a pretty good episode. Anyone else catch it?
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 08:45 PM   #2
Trepie
Cascade Badge

Send a message via AIM to Trepie Send a message via MSN to Trepie
The season 2 premiere was better than the whole first season. I'm looking forward to much more crazy zombie filled face stomping.
Trepie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 08:54 PM   #3
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
My vice-kage in Billy vs. SNAKEMAN is a huge fangirl of this show. Interesting premise but I doubt I could find the time for this.

There's a new show premiering soon that's interesting too, I saw a commercial but forgot the name...
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 10:12 PM   #4
Loki

Probably Hell on Wheels.

If you don't think you have time for the TV series, you might consider the source material, Robert Kirkman's Walking Dead comics.

Unfortunately, I have to say that all the women of the TV series have thus far shown themselves to be dumb... When the whole world is dead and you need supplies, don't complain that this area is virtually a graveyard. THE WHOLE WORLD IS ONE.
Old 10-17-2011, 10:28 PM   #5
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
All I remember is it's from the creators of Lost, so I suspected J.J. was involved with it. I though it "cool" and remembered the date, but nothing else.

It's Once Upon a Time.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 10:58 PM   #6
Loki

Okay.... Totally off topic.

Back on topic: The church scene was also dumb.
Old 10-18-2011, 12:53 AM   #7
Trepie
Cascade Badge

Send a message via AIM to Trepie Send a message via MSN to Trepie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor Jesus View Post
Okay.... Totally off topic.

Back on topic: The church scene was also dumb.
Yeah they're running out of ways for Rick to talk to himself. I like him better when he's quiet. When he talks I start to feel like the group would be better off if he was still in a coma.
Trepie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 10:08 PM   #8
Loki

Shane is a motherfucking bastard.
Old 11-06-2011, 11:17 PM   #9
Dark Magic
Cascade Badge

Send a message via AIM to Dark Magic
shane should be dead not otis >.< at least we got to see glenn score after all the crap he's gone through.
Dark Magic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 11:29 AM   #10
Silver Wind
breezy metallics~

Season 2 was disappointing. I think we all knew Sophia's fate around episode three.

Spoiler: show

Fizzy Bubbles
° ° ° °
° ° ° °
Silver Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 09:17 PM   #11
Dark Magic
Cascade Badge

Send a message via AIM to Dark Magic
dont worry it will get much more crazy in season 3, if they follow the comics at all
Dark Magic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 09:19 PM   #12
deoxys
Fog Badge

Just finished Season 1.

I really appreciate a few of the the spoilers for Season 2 in here that are not tagged :/

Anyway. It's a pretty good show. I didn't find myself as interested in it as much as I was in BrBa, which was pulse pounding pretty much non-stop and eventually found myself starting to get a bit distracted from the episodes as they were playing and I just didn't feel as enveloped into it as I did in other shows, by far my most recent being Breaking Bad. I get that it's a different story and a different type of show, but I just... I'll watch Season 2 before Season 3 debuts next month, for sure, but I think one of my problems with it is that, aside from Rick and his family, I really had a hard time giving a shit about any of the other characters, save maybe Glenn. Most of the characters just didn't seem well rounded or anything great, I don't know, it just put me off for some reason.

•
• • • • • • • •
• • • • • • •

MAL - Fizzy Bubbles - Twitter

deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 09:59 PM   #13
Loki

I stopped watching myself. While it's good (and I heard the newest finale was amazing), I stopped watching because, like the comic, it was like I was watching people get tortured. And the worst part was, there is no happy ending after all that suffering. No "suffer now and work hard and we'll get through this." No- It's just more suffering because the world is filled with zombies!
Old 09-08-2015, 05:51 PM   #14
Talon87
時の彼方へ

AK2 brought this series up today in conversation, and after years of putting it on hold and doing my best to avoid spoilers, I wondered if now's the time to finally watch/read/play it or not.

"Watch/read/play" being operative here ... ^^;

So tell me: if I were to want to ... "consume", The Walking Dead ... which version would I do best to consume first? And taking it one step further ...
  1. assuming it's the only version I ever consume, which?
  2. assuming it's only the first of several versions I consume, which?
Answer away.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 05:52 PM   #15
deoxys
Fog Badge

First off: My opinion has not changed much since my post here three years ago, for the record. That said... my family is full of the biggest Walking Dead fans I know. My dad has probably rewatched the entire series twenty times over - and quite frankly, I don't understand it, but I will definitely share with you my experience with the franchise and the knowledge I have based on that and what I have come to know from them over the years.

I want to preface the rest of this by saying I don't enjoy the Walking Dead and only made it to the end of Season 2 on the TV show and haven't touched the comics.

But I played Telltale's The Walking Dead, which is a separate story based in the same universe as the comics - between the narrative, the memorable characters (both likable and unlikable), and overall story, do yourself a favor and give it a playthrough, at least the first season, and do not let yourself be spoiled by anything in regards to season two.

I have a feeling that based on some of your tastes, Talon, you would enjoy certain aspects of the game's narrative, and in particular probably certain characters over time.

The TV show is something I have been meaning to pick back up again, but man I just can't find the motivation after watching the most utterly boring and uninteresting season in television history that is TWD S2. Evidently a lot of the issues that made the second season of the TV show so god awful were solved for future seasons (it should be noted every time someone in my family re-watches the show now, they skip almost all of S2 for this reason)... but there was sour taste left in my mouth from what essentially felt like a giant waste of time due to how purely uninteresting it was, and the lack of interest in any of the characters outside of Daryl, and from time to time Rick and Glenn. On top of that, I felt as though Daryl was the only character on the show who has any semblance of interesting and well written development.

Maybe I'm just super cynical, I'm not sure, and perhaps I am also a bit turned off in general by the idea of a zombie apocalypse, not only because it's been done to death in recent times (though TWD by far master-crafted it), but because there never seems to be a super clear goal or endgame in mind; what kind of journey and ending can you expect in a world that is overrun with billions of zombies and an incredibly small portion of the human race left? I absolutely realize how ignorant/cynical that view is, but it doesn't change the fact that it's a view I still can't shake off regardless.

Personal opinions aside, sorry - as far as comics go, it's definitely the story and everything about The Walking Dead in its purest and most unadulterated form, but reading them will require a lot of time and effort due to being a 12-year old series with 147 issues, and unlike other adaptations, the comic, despite featuring (most) of the same characters and many of the same story elements and plot arcs, is still overall vastly different from the TV show. On top of this, the creator has already said the show will almost certainly have a unique and different ending than the comic series will as he sees the comic's lifespan vastly outliving the show's.

So, all of that said from someone who, not being a huge TWD fan and is biased and probably shouldn't have left an opinion on those principles alone...

At least play Telltale's TWD Season One and go in as information blind and open minded to it as you can. It will probably take you a around a little under ten hours in total to experience.

•
• • • • • • • •
• • • • • • •

MAL - Fizzy Bubbles - Twitter

deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 10:51 AM   #16
Loki

147 issues isn't that hard to blaze through... It's not like each issue MUST BE SEEN in 45 minutes instances like an episode of the show, each one goes at your own reading speed. Boring sections and be quickly speed read and panels without much text can also be read through quickly.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Entertainment