UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Entertainment

Old 04-12-2013, 10:30 PM   #51
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

Saddens me when people say they love DS9 but don't know of or like Babylon 5.

What I kind of hate about Jazdia was that she was almost entirely a sex appeal character. When they saw the original Odan ridge on her forehead, everyone hated it and just gave her Kriosian spots that Famke Janssen had (who by the way, was probably the sexiest woman on TNG). Then they sloppily made it canon by claiming it Odan's head was due to Trills being introduced to a Klingon mutation virus and no one bothering to cure it to restore Trill features. Bullshit.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 10:32 PM   #52
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Dr. Crusher the character was okay, but whenever we were given Crusher-heavy scenes, it was almost always of her either being 1) the brat's mom or 2) the captain's love interest. As an individual, Beverly rarely did shit outside of waving a magical stick over people's bodies (tricorder) or occasionally sticking them with another one (hypospray). If you wanted more than this, you had to go to the Dr. Crusher episodes. And those, by and large, were "once you've seen one, you've seen 'em all" episodes where Beverly falls in love with some Handsome Hunk Alien of the Week. Whether it was the Trill ambassador that one time, whether it was that one ghost that had a fling with her mother that second time, ...

However, one of my favorite TNG episodes of all time is a Dr. Crusher episode. I'm having trouble remembering for certainty which one it is (it's been many years), but I believe it's "Remember Me" (S4E05). All I remember myself is "an episode where Dr. Crusher is all alone aboard the Enterprise", but reading the plot synopsis for the linked episode doesn't seem to indicate to me that it'd be a personal favorite. (For starters, it stars Wesley and the Traveler. Ugh. )

XFD @ this excerpt from Wikipedia though!
Quote:
During the second season, the Crusher character was written out of the show and replaced by the louder, more outgoing Dr. Katherine Pulaski (Diana Muldaur). Patrick Stewart was upset by McFadden's departure from the show and played a large part in bringing about her return.
I'll bet he was! What an epic downgrade from Gates McFadden to that ugly old bag! [/rude] Seriously, I didn't mind Pulaski nearly as much as most fans seem to have, but even I agree that Dr. Crusher was much better on the ears, the eyes, and the brain.

As for Gates McFadden, I'd say she's easy on the eyes, sure, but I wouldn't call her hot, that's going way too far. As stated previously, I don't think TNG had any women in the main cast who were hot. Not Gates McFadden, not Marina Sirtis, not Denise Crosby (Tasha Yar) ... they were all pleasant-looking women, yes, but they weren't women I'd ~~~~~~~ to if I had only ever seen them on the street and hadn't seen them in connection with a show I was deeply invested in. (And even with said investment, I can't say as I've ever ~~~~~~~d to any of them. [/tmi] ) Different strokes for different folks, I guess.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 10:50 PM   #53
Amras.MG
Not sure if gone...

I use the bisquadrangular backstroke and I think Gates was very attractive. Certainly the most appealing woman on TNG (at least of what I've seen).

The sexiest character in TNG is far and away Cpt. Picard though.

Also that episode always makes my heart seize up a little bit Talon, just because of the isolation she starts to experience at the end. Terrifying.
Amras.MG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 11:01 PM   #54
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I seem to recall that being one thing that really grabbed me about {phantom episode}, so if {phantom episode} is in fact the one I linked, then there you go. Perhaps I enjoyed it for it science fiction horror vibe so, so much that it overcame any problems it might have had what with being a Wesley & the Traveler episode.
Old 04-13-2013, 06:12 AM   #55
Emp
Volcano Badge

As unqualified as I am to talk about the sexiest females from the series ;) I don’t really agree with all the Jazdia love. She’s hot but she just didn’t seem very “Star Trek” to me. I just felt like she belonged on a different show, and despite her being probably one of the most interesting species she just seemed so plain. I actually used to forget she was an alien.

The TNG girls kind of fall under the same bracket for me, they’re human – or as good as – limiting their appeal. Crusher is too ‘mumsy’ and doesn’t give off the slightest hint of sex appeal and I personally find Troi to be the most annoying character in any Star Trek series. It could be her horrible accent or her incredibly dated hairstyles/outfits but yeah, I’m surprised she even ranks on anyone’s lists.

Unsurprisingly my favourite Star Trek babe is Seven of Nine, no contest. Say what you want about Voyager, I think even they knew it had its flaws, Seven was really a great character that brought a lot to the show, but I think some Trek fans didn't like that once she came on she was a key character and also that the character development of some of characters like Harry Kim, Chikotay and Kes (who was written out, thankfully) and their personal storylines diminished. I like that we didn't have to spend a lot of time on that. I think it saved the show – which wasn’t that great up until then and I loved the fact that every episode pretty much either focused on her or the Doctor who were my two favourite characters.

Besides being incredibly sexy, having an interesting backstory and being one of the best actresses from any Star Trek series, the thing that appeals to me about Seven is her comedy value. I love her dry sense of humour, and whilst the miscommunication of social queues has been done with Data I feel like Seven pulled it off really well. The chemistry she had with the Doctor was great too, it’s just a shame they never got together, I’m still angry with the writers for who they set her up with in the finale.

Seven of Nine - Funny Moments

I’m probably going to be the only one who feels this way, but I like Star Trek a lot more for its sort of space "soap opera" appeal than I do for the action – which is probably why my opinion differs with Talon on which Star Trek series is the best.

Back on topic, I haven’t seen much of Enterprise or TAS but I think T’Pol and Uhura deserve an honourable mention. T’Pol was as naturally beautiful as Jeri Ryan, and from what I did see she seemed like the second most interesting Vulcan we’ve seen in the series. There’s not much I can say for Uhara, other than that she’s a hell of a lot sexier than any of the TNG females – especially in the reboot.

FB PASBL TL 4

26-4-0 KO74 TP208
B Ref SP 2

Emp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 09:20 AM   #56
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Uhhhhhhhhhh ... except if any Star Trek is akin to a soap opera, it's gotta be DS9. It was the least episodic, the most "last week's episode blends into this week's", and the most concerned with interpersonal relationships rather than futuristic technology or abstract concepts like non-interference (the Prime Directive) or ... yeah, I dunno, man. Saying you didn't like DS9 best is one thing, but saying you didn't like it best because it was the least like a soap opera in space is a very strange reason indeed. ^^;

As for Seven of Nine and the EMH, I completely agree. The writers fucked that one up big time in the end, wtf. One of my favorite Voyager scenes of all time is when they sing "You Are My Sunshine". Possibly linked this already but screw it, I'mma link it again. The scene builds so wonderfully up to that moment at 2m56s. And then it's like HRNNNGH CAN'T NOT SHIP. Un-fucking-believable what they pulled out of their ass for her in the end.

Spoiler: show
Fuck Chakotay. The worst first mate Trek's ever had.

Last edited by Talon87; 04-13-2013 at 09:30 AM.
Old 04-13-2013, 10:25 AM   #57
Mercutio
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
Dr. Crusher the character was okay, but whenever we were given Crusher-heavy scenes, it was almost always of her either being 1) the brat's mom or 2) the captain's love interest. As an individual, Beverly rarely did shit outside of waving a magical stick over people's bodies (tricorder) or occasionally sticking them with another one (hypospray). If you wanted more than this, you had to go to the Dr. Crusher episodes. And those, by and large, were "once you've seen one, you've seen 'em all" episodes where Beverly falls in love with some Handsome Hunk Alien of the Week. Whether it was the Trill ambassador that one time, whether it was that one ghost that had a fling with her mother that second time, ...
I disagree, somewhat. I think that Crusher's status as a capable commander (even though it was basically invented to make Troi appear even more useless) and the fact that she didn't always go with the love interest lend her a little integrity. Additionally, while it's true that she's just waving magic sticks at people, she is still fulfilling a critical role in the ship's function. Alright, Doctor is a bit of a stereotypically feminine role compared to, say, Chief Engineer, but it's a step up from the Nurse in TOS. The fact that she eventually gets her own ship is pretty fun, too, whereas as far as I know Troi basically spends her later years doing exactly the same as her previous role but for Riker (who incidentally is ridiculous).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor Jesus View Post
Saddens me when people say they love DS9 but don't know of or like Babylon 5.
I'm aware of it but have seen only bits. It does look like I would enjoy it immensely.
Quote:
What I kind of hate about Jazdia was that she was almost entirely a sex appeal character. When they saw the original Odan ridge on her forehead, everyone hated it and just gave her Kriosian spots that Famke Janssen had (who by the way, was probably the sexiest woman on TNG). Then they sloppily made it canon by claiming it Odan's head was due to Trills being introduced to a Klingon mutation virus and no one bothering to cure it to restore Trill features. Bullshit.
Well yes, but imo the forehead looked rubbish so I'll deal with it. I don't think that Jadzia was entirely a sex appeal character, in that they created her in order to make use of the idea of a being with multiple lifetimes and thus have great wisdom at plot convenient moments, but I'll go with it more than I'll go with Troi. Whereas Troi is basically terrible at everything, Jadzia Dax is the second officer of the station for a good amount of time, followed by a stint as XO and Flight Controller of the Defiant (for some reason). Additionally, I thought that her relationship with Worf was one of the better ones in the show, and I personally prefer it to Paris/Torres because I'm not a huge fan of Paris.

> Chakotay

Apparently the actor playing him was a huge dick so they stopped rewarding him with good storylines.
Mercutio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 10:29 AM   #58
Amras.MG
Not sure if gone...

I personally dislike the action in Star Trek because it is lame. I like Star Trek (aka TNG) because of its presentation of humanity in the future, showing how human nature has remained the same but they have learned to deal with it better. Etc.
Amras.MG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 02:18 PM   #59
DaveTheFishGuy
Primordial Fishbeast

Send a message via Skype™ to DaveTheFishGuy
Guinan is the sexiest TNG female, duh.
DaveTheFishGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 12:38 PM   #60
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Replying here (though the Star Trek: Into Darkness thread might have worked too) since my reply mostly concerns the first Abrams Star Trek film as well as the film franchise as a whole.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercutio View Post
Well I won't spoil anything related. But to speculate, if we assume that it's Khan, it should probably be noted that Khan is meant to be Indian and the guy playing him is not doing that. So Cumberbatch doing it would have been fine. But I'll leave you to speculate on the villain's identity.

Anyway, on the plus side it was full of action, largely well acted and was absolutely rammed full of references to things. My personal favourite being the model NX class on an Admiral's desk. A decent enough premise. It looks beautiful and the music is pretty great.

Negative side, it's basically a forgettable action flick. I mean it's got plenty of colo moments and stuff but the story, while a lovely idea, is convoluted and poorly executed. I get the feeling that a lot of exposition was cut post production. Also they continuously put trust in James Kirk despite him being an utterly crap officer (which is funny as they specifically point this out at one point). Also aside from the token alien cameos it's very homiocentric, which is in keeping with TOS but is just not believeable in my opinion. Fine, there aren;t many Vulcans flyign about the alternate reality, but where are my Andorians and Tellarites mannign the battle stations?

*sigh*
Yeah, getting to see Andorians so prominently was one of the highlights of Enterprise for me. Really enjoyed Coombs' Shran, really loved the concept for the race. Back before Kuno even had a UPN to call his own, I used to read all up on the Andorians and be fascinated by their anatomy & physiology, on their culture, on their role in the Federation, all of it. It's certainly disappointing to hear from you that, cameos aside, Abrams' Trek continues to be the Homo sapiens Express. That stated, even many of Abrams' humans (Chekhov, Sulu, Scotty) are reduced to comic relief that one normally would see in a Lucas film being handed over to an alien or an android, so I don't have the greatest confidence anyway in Abrams' ability to give a sweet treatment to an alien character.

Regarding the forgetability of the film, that's sadly the first Abrams Trek film's problem too, for me. I mean, it's memorable enough in that I can remember it. But it's not really the sort of film that gets people talking outside of "Remember the part when ...? "shared experiences. Older Star Trek films had those too ("Remember the part where Scotty picks up the mouse? " "Remember the part when Khan puts the worms in their ears? " "Remember the time when Christopher Lloyd played a Klingon? "), but the better ones also tended to have solid-enough stories to them. Abrams Trek 1's story, I am honestly hard pressed to remember the details which connects the dots. Like ...

I remember Nero destroying Vulcan ... and I remember Spock leaving Kirk behind on an ice world ... and I remember Kirk meeting both Scotty and Roddenberry Spock there ... and I remember Kirk somehow getting back on the Enterprise with Scotty's and/or Roddenberry Spock's help ... and I remember them finally going to take down Nero ... but like ... I don't remember the specific flow between these events, and I [i]don't/i] remember exactly why they had to stop Nero (other than Spock wanting revenge? Did Nero have a next stated target? Was it Earth? ), and I don't remember why the Enterprise crew accepted Kirk as their captain (though I do remember why they rejected Spock as their captain -- that loss of control he exhibited when Kirk baited him), and like ... I dunno, but doesn't the plot sound really short when you think about it? ^^;
  1. Abrams Kirk, Spock, and Bones are posted to the Enterprise.
  2. Nero destroys Vulcan.
  3. Spock abandons Kirk on an ice world.
  4. Kirk makes his way back.
  5. Together they take on Nero.
~Fin~

I dunno. If we're being really honest with ourselves, none of the Star Trek films have ever topped the best of any of the television series. The best of TNG, the best of DS9, even the best of the other three I like the least, ... none of these have really been outdone by the likes of Star Trek: First Contact, Star Trek II: the Wrath of Khan, or Abrams' Star Trek.

At the same time though, that doesn't mean that Abrams' first Star Trek film was bad. In fact (though this may just show how low the bar was set? ^^; ) in many ways it exceeded our expectations and surpassed over 50% of the previous films. Hell, personally I'm tempted to say that it was the most enjoyable or the least cringeworthy-when-rewatching-for-the-third-or-fourth-time film of them all. (I used to enjoy First Contact, Wrath of Khan, and The Undiscovered Country a heck of a lot more than I do now. ^^; ) It was fun. It was pretty. It didn't insult the audience's intelligence too much but neither did it go all technobabbly constantly. And it dealt with some pretty major things in the Trek mythos, like Kirk's graduation from Star Fleet Academy as well as the Abrams' universe's destruction of {you know}. So I did like it, honest. But would I call it super memorable? Not really.

And that's why I'm none too surprised to hear that Star Trek: Into Darkness, which looks from the trailers to be even more of a mindless action summer blockbuster than the first one did, is being labeled by you as somewhat forgettable. I imagine I'll feel the same way as you when I walk out of it.
Old 05-22-2013, 12:48 PM   #61
Mercutio
Banned

Oddly I really liked the TNG era Star Trek films... possibly excepting Generations. First Contact is flawed but good, Insurrection is great if you ignore the fact that Dougherty is totally in the right. Nemesis was pretty good.

I also love Enterprise era Adorians. I mean actually I love pretty much everything except the Xindi (who are ridiculous). Sure it sort of pisses on a little bit of existing canon but it does it in an intelligent way. Good show.

EDIT: It should be noted that I am very cynical and critical when it comes to films. For example, I thought The Avengers was rubbish. However, I have come to the conclusion that my opinion is too harsh, so I wouldn't want to stop you seeing this film. Also, mild spoilers, Kirk has sex with two Caitians, which is fairly hot. So you should see it for that.

Last edited by Mercutio; 05-22-2013 at 12:56 PM.
Old 05-22-2013, 04:40 PM   #62
DaveTheFishGuy
Primordial Fishbeast

Send a message via Skype™ to DaveTheFishGuy
I want to post regarding the new film but I'm afraid I'll spoil everything.
DaveTheFishGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 04:47 PM   #63
Talon87
時の彼方へ

So you do this:
Star Trek: Into Darkness:

Like so.
Easy.
Old 05-22-2013, 04:48 PM   #64
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

The problem with TNG movies was that they were all action films and none of the cast members aside from possibly Worf and maybe Data were really combatants.

This was especially made clear during Insurrection.

The other problem was how out of character all of it was. Picard was a brooding, thinking man. Not a war monger. I could almost understand his attitude in First Contact, but it was pretty ridiculous in all the other films.

Also, so much of it didn't even keep within the context of TNG. There are so many scenes in the various movies where the characters do something the polar opposite of what their counterparts did in the series.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 05:01 PM   #65
Mercutio
Banned

So put it in a spoiler tag. Or just post it anyway and remind people who haven't seen a film to stay out of a thread about said film. Boom.
Old 05-22-2013, 05:36 PM   #66
Emp
Volcano Badge

Put it in a spoiler tag. That way I can read the TNG posts without having to worry about spoiler Into Darkness for myself :P

FB PASBL TL 4

26-4-0 KO74 TP208
B Ref SP 2

Last edited by Emp; 05-22-2013 at 05:55 PM.
Emp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 05:43 PM   #67
Talon87
時の彼方へ

We do have a separate thread for the movie, guys. ^^; This really shouldn't be an issue.

Want to say you went to the cinema? Post in the Movies I Saw Recently thread.
Want to discuss ST:ID? Post in the ST:ID thread.
Want to discuss ST:ID as it relates to other Treks? Could post here, but should use spoiler tags. (This is what I did, since my post mostly had to do with the first Abrams Trek.)
Want to discuss Trek in general? Here's your thread.

Glass half empty, you can complain that we have three eligible threads for discussion about one movie to go in. Glass half full, you can cherrypick the perfect thread for your particular posting needs.
Old 12-15-2013, 08:57 PM   #68
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTheFishGuy View Post
I really need to get around to watching The Undiscovered Country. From what I've heard it's the second best movie after Wrath of Khan.

As said, the only series I've watched all of are DS9 and Voyager. The former is glorious and my Deep Space Nine and Defiant models have pride of place.
What I'd suggest is:
  1. Either:
    1. Finding a copy of Klingon Academy, a computer game by Interplay from the early 2000s, installing it on your computer, getting a joystick for the computer (as it's a keyboard + joystick flight simulator), and playing it.
    2. Barring A, finding a non-obnoxious (preferably a mute player!) playthrough of the game on YouTube.
  2. Then watching Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country
Why? Well, here's the thing ...

One, Klingon Academy was a fun game. And the more you love Star Trek (and particularly the Klingon Empire's 23rd century history), the more fun it was.

Two, the story and characters were both excellent. I can honestly say that I vastly, vastly prefer the game's plot to the film's, though they play off of one another.

Three, the game climacticly ends ... with the film's opening events. If you don't know it's coming (which I didn't), it's WOW. And since you play an active part in it too, it's fucking amazing and emotional as all hell. I can't imagine the experience with the film would've been anywhere near the same (had I seen the film first, that is) since there it's nothing more than a macguffin to get the ball rolling for the remainder of the film's plot. But in the game ...

Four:

BORKED
link

Yes: the opening five minutes are the game's introduction. They are what you would see when you double-clicked the icon on your desktop to play the game. Unbelievable. Every time my dad would watch me play this game, he just couldn't believe how much Paramount cinematic scenes it had in it. He constantly wished that they would have made it into a film instead of a game (since he did not play computer games). To this day I agree that it's a tragedy that this was never turned into a film proper. It would have beaten the pants so far off of shitty Insurrection and Nemesis that they would have wound up in some washing machine three blocks away.

Anyway, the choice is yours. You obviously needn't play the game to watch the film -- millions haven't -- but I think your appreciation of Chancellor Gorkon and General Chang (the two main Klingon characters in the film) would be much greater if you played the game first.
Old 12-15-2013, 09:12 PM   #69
Mercutio
Banned

Not a bad idea.

Currently watching Worf get it on with Mrs Worf the first. Much hilarity ensues.
Old 12-08-2014, 12:42 AM   #70
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Looking through my list o' YouTube favorites, I came upon this classic gem from Voyager where 7 of 9 and the Doctor sing "You Are My Sunshine" together. I think this commenter says it best:

(actual spoilers for series finale)

Quote:
I'd love to know what idiot decided to hook Seven up with Chakotay at the 11th hour, mostly so I could kick them in the genitals.
Iiiiiiiiiiiiindeed.

I'm sure I've gushed about it before but it's such a great scene it deserves another mention. Star Trek has been blessed by many talented actors over the years, but goddamn if Robert Picardo wasn't one of the best.
Old 06-18-2015, 07:09 PM   #71
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Watched a heavily-cropped, grossly filtered episode of TNG on YouTube the other night while falling asleep, the result of a desperate YouTube search and even more desperate willingness to accept such shoddy video. Well, YouTube now thinks that I want to see all the poorly-cropped videos it has to offer, so it recommended me S6E13, "Aquiel." Intrigued by the title, I clicked. Watched. It was a decent episode. Starts off fairly boring and very confusing -- you're just sort of dropped off into it -- but crescendos into a semi-great climax by episode's end. I could tell you what happens in the episode, but if you want to figure it out yourself, this YouTube comment has you covered in just four words:

"BITCHES LOVE READING RAINBOW"

Made me laugh.
Old 06-19-2015, 05:43 AM   #72
Mercutio
Banned

Yeah that episode is weird. I love Geordi but he is so creepy with women.
Old 06-19-2015, 09:09 AM   #73
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercutio View Post
I love Geordi but he is so creepy with women.
Yes.
Old 06-27-2015, 09:53 PM   #74
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

I just watched the clip that Talon posted and I have been reminded of how much I love Voyager and it's campy undercurrent.
Jerichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 11:56 PM   #75
Mercutio
Banned

I prefer DS9 with its repeated attempts to make us like people who commit war crimes.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Entertainment