UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime

Old 05-30-2014, 02:30 PM   #6401
Talon87
時の彼方へ

"Six of one, half a dozen of the other," as they say. What happens when you schooch the nose and mouth too far up? You get big chins. Again, I think this was more a problem of Kyoto Animation and others exaggerating Key's art style in an attempt to ensure the audience acknowledged the art style's idiosyncracies had been preserved; but that doesn't change the fact that Misuzu's upper lip is almost level with the bottom of her eyes. These big chins you're talking about are a clear result of the nose+mouth placement. It's sort of a chicken and the egg situation. "Did they set out to draw huge chins and so they scooched the mouth and nose up? Or did they set out to draw the mouth and nose really close to the eyes and thus inadvertently produced big chins?" I imagine it's the latter, but it doesn't really matter whether I'm right or wrong. Big chins and scooted-up mouths are both characteristic of these early Key adaptations by KyoAni as they go hand in hand.

Compare & contrast with 2006's Suzumiya Haruhi. Objectively, you can tell that her eyes are kind of wide set too ... but they don't feel wide set. You don't notice the width until you go looking for it. Likewise, objectively we can see that the mouth isn't too far from the eyes ... but the space is, while only ever so slightly larger, significantly larger than the space in Kanon 2006 or in Air. There's enough room between the eyes and mouth that it feels "normal," normal for the anime style, anyway. If you look at the gap between her mouth and her left eye (the eye on our right), it's got to be at least half the height of her wide-open mouth. Balance-wise, this feels appropriate to the brain.

Of course, with Key licensing out their works to other studios and with Kyoto Animation having gone full K-On! with character designs these days, perhaps none of this matters anymore. Certainly J.C. Staff's Little Busters adaptation doesn't have Rabbit Eyes Syndrome nor Jay Leno Chin.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 03:32 PM   #6402
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
Natto, one of the moderators at McCovey Chronicles (the Giants blog I was almost banned from) did a fanpost that I found amusing. I want to ask him for networking since I have a vested interest in this kind of thing, but I don't want to reveal my true colours or divulge semi-personal (two degrees of fictional) information given the rep I've built up on that site already.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 03:49 PM   #6403
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I don't think I understand that visual novel's premise. She moves to Tokyo ... but there are American boys everywhere. (I see that it says it's an "international school," but isn't it a little strange to set the story in an international school in Tokyo if you want to try to justify how a half-Asian girl would wind up with a bunch of white boys? Wouldn't it be easier to place the story in San Francisco? ) The Tokyo school's team ... is called the Giants, apparently as an homage to the San Francisco Giants despite the fact that Tokyo is neither San Francisco nor would most cross-Pacific fans playing this game associate "Giants" in Tokyo with San Francisco before associating it with Yomiuri. Are the high school boys teenage-ified versions of actual San Francisco Giants players or are their names, appearances, and/or personalities made up?

Good for him though that he's got a pet project that he's working towards turning into a reality. I wish him the best of luck with it. It may not be the game for me, but I hope he finds his audience.

Has he seen or read any of the famous baseball anime or manga? Touch, Cross Game, anything else by Adachi Mitsuru , Moshidora, One Outs ... The only one of these I've seen myself is Moshidora, though a friend in college watched Touch and I believe Yuki's read or watched Cross Game.
Old 05-30-2014, 04:01 PM   #6404
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I presume the girl moved to Tokyo to make it a Japanese baseball thing, which functions differently from baseball clubs in America. The summary of the manager role is particularly pointed as that position doesn't exist in the US.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
Tokyo is neither San Francisco nor would most cross-Pacific fans playing this game associate "Giants" in Tokyo with San Francisco before associating it with Yomiuri.
This is true, but Yomiuri is named after the New York Giants (who became San Francisco) so the idea isn't necessarily city specific, but team specific.

Quote:
Are the high school boys teenage-ified versions of actual San Francisco Giants players or are their names, appearances, and/or personalities made up?
Since I'm too chicken to comment on the post directly, I'll confirm it here - it's a mix of anime stereotypes and legitimate traits of the players. Brandon Crawford for example is indeed a reserved person, so that was spun off into the "cool, handsome" type character. The glasses thing is funny because anyone who is good at defense using a key position is called a "wizard" or "professor".

Good for him though that he's got a pet project that he's working towards turning into a reality. I wish him the best of luck with it. It may not be the game for me, but I hope he finds his audience.

Quote:
Has he seen or read any of the famous baseball anime or manga? Touch, Cross Game, anything else by Adachi Mitsuru , Moshidora, One Outs ... The only one of these I've seen myself is Moshidora, though a friend in college watched Touch and I believe Yuki's read or watched Cross Game.
Natto probably watches more now than BBB used to in his prime. He's a graphic artist in San Francisco and for some reason I've noticed that a lot of artists tend to remain fervent anime fans as they age. There's a few comic book artists on Arlong Park who are much the same.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 05-31-2014, 03:20 AM   #6405
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

One amusing thing is that in Rewrite, Key makes fun of Hinoue's old art.

Eien no Aselia
I've been slowly reading through this at the request of Mr Doppel. Honestly, it's difficult to get into. It's so damn amateurish and sloppy. The main guy is irrational and stupid. The heroines are dull (though this apparently changes later on). Also the main guy's sword keeps demanding mana, when the main guy is constantly in situations that should feed the damn thing. I'm pretty sure it's just a way to force struggle out of him and support from the heroine. The gameplay elements are alright, but nothing special, so unlike Kamidori, the gameplay won't be a saving grace. Also the voices often sound like the VAs are talking with the microphone inside their mouths.

Air (VN)
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. Nothing going on here. Maybe it'll get interesting when I beat Kano's route and get into Wonder Boy Jun Maeda's writing, but until then, reading this is a freaking chore.
big bad birtha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 07:32 AM   #6406
McSweeney
Soul Badge

In the Air anime, I thought the side girl stories were rather boring myself, and I respect the story solely for the central plot with Yukito, Misuzu, and her aunt, so hopefully that part will be good. I hold the beach scene up there with the legendary Clannad After wheat field scene. I think highly of both because any hack can make a sad scene where somebody dies, but it takes real talent to make a tear jerker that doesn't involve somebody dying!

Smoking Gary sez:
"Stay in school kidz"
McSweeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 01:16 PM   #6407
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

New Haruhi coming!
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 05-31-2014, 01:27 PM   #6408
Akanjão
Boulder Badge

By the way, since you guys know more than me and I think we can ask for suggestions... What's a good comedy anime you guys would suggest? I'm searching, but I haven't attained much success in this search. Suggestions?
Old 05-31-2014, 01:54 PM   #6409
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akanjão View Post
By the way, since you guys know more than me and I think we can ask for suggestions... What's a good comedy anime you guys would suggest? I'm searching, but I haven't attained much success in this search. Suggestions?
Some school-heavy or slice of life ones that people have enjoyed:
  • Azumanga Daioh
  • Lucky Star
  • Pani Poni Dash
  • Minami-ke
  • Nichijou
  • School Rumble
Some long-running serials that people have enjoyed:
  • Gintama
  • Keroro Gunsou
  • Slayers
Other popular entries:
  • Love Hina
  • Golden Boy
  • Hetalia: Axis Powers
  • Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt
And some ones that I've liked that no one else talks about:
  • Doki Doki School Hours, a.k.a. Sensei no Ojikan
  • Kyou no Go no Ni, also written as Kyou no 5-2
  • Polar Bear Cafe
Disclaimer: tried to give you a list of truly popular entries, not just things I like. There are many shows listed I've not seen myself or have seen but disliked. Don't take the list as a personal endorsement. I also omitted some personal favorites that are parodies of other works as there's no point in directing you towards parodies before source material.

Disclaimer: personal favorites aren't always personal suggestions. I may love a show but not highly recommend it and vice versa. But as for my personal favorites, Minami-ke tops the list; for personal recommendations, that's harder since I don't know you. ^^;
Old 05-31-2014, 02:34 PM   #6410
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

Comedies eh? My favorite genre! I'll list a few:

Azumanga Daioh: Can't go wrong with this.
Baka to Test blah blah blah: I despise this show, but alot of people like this. If you despise it too, join us on the hate train!
Seto no Hanayome: A bit obnoxious at first, but overall a really funny show.
Yuru Yuri
Cuticle Tantei Inaba
Galaxy Angel: A bit hit-and-miss, with season 3 being the best.

I have more, but my mind is running a bit dry right now. Those are ones I recommend, but not my favorite. If you want to give the favorite comedies of someone with strange tastes a shot, then by all means try:

Sexy Commando Gaiden: Sugoiyo!! Masaru-san: My all-time favorite comedy. Can't beat this damn show!
Ichigo Mashimaro: This..umm....you'll have to get over how incredibly creepy it is. If you can do that, it's actually a very funny show.
Mitsudomoe: Similar to Ichigo Mashimaro, though not as creepy.
Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei
Dai Mahou Touge: Yes! YES! 1000x yes! This show is awesome in so many ways!
Cromartie High School: Amazing freaking show. Makes no damn sense, but who cares?!
Detroit Metal City: A bit low budget, but a really funny show about a metal band.
Old 05-31-2014, 03:20 PM   #6411
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Cromartie gets my approval since its humour is about observations and behaviour and not 'random crazy stuff' as some expect out of anime like FLCL.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 05-31-2014, 04:26 PM   #6412
McSweeney
Soul Badge

Golden Boy and Minami-ke I know are great. Cromartie is something I haven't seen, but I'm pretty sure it's awesome too.

Also, I've heard that Cromartie has a really good dub, is this true? Golden Boy definitely does, so if you decide to watch these two you should give the dub a chance.

Smoking Gary sez:
"Stay in school kidz"
McSweeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 04:39 PM   #6413
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Lil' Bluey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
New Haruhi coming!
Source?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akanjão View Post
Aside from the ones others have suggested... Maybe Hataraku Maou-sama!, Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai!, or Danshi Koukousei no Nichijou?

(Ouran is also a personal favorite of mine, if you care for Shoujo.)
lilboocorsola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 09:38 PM   #6414
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbluecorsola View Post

Source?
False alarm. It was a troll.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVroDBNMJLI
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 06-01-2014, 03:09 AM   #6415
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Re: Monster

Looks like an interesting new series. Basic premise: a powerful psychic is murdered by a stalker, and ends up reborn as a goblin in a parallel world. However, he retains all of his knowledge from his previous life, and so quickly adapts. Most of the story involves him living out a goblin's life with his human knowledge, intelligence and ambition.

Edit: I went further and it looks like the series is kind of like Pokemon. Goblins are weak and stupid, so they get killed fairly quickly, but the main guy has discovered that at a certain point of strength/skill creatures in this world "evolve" into a more powerful stage. After goblin is Hobgoblin, which are bigger, have hair and wear armour, but they're exceptionally rare and in this particular tribe no one has ever become a Hobgoblin.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて

Last edited by Doppleganger; 06-01-2014 at 03:51 AM.
Old 06-02-2014, 07:45 PM   #6416
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

I guess I could give an update on this season's shows.

Black Bullet
Nothing really different than what I said last post. Honestly, it's a miracle I'm still watching it.

Bokura wa Minna Kawaisou
My feelings for this show go two ways. For one, I am interested in the characters, and I like alot of the development. Unfortunately, the gags are really repetitive, and I can't stand how everyone flips the fuck out over everything. "OH MY GOD! A CENTIPEDE! *everyone flips the fuck out*" (this really happened). This show can hardly be called good, but it does catch my interest. I just wish the writing was less amateurish. The show looks fantastic though. The art for this show is great. I prefer No Game No Life's art, but Kawaisou's art doesn't lose to it.

Gochuumon wa Usagi Desu ka
Want a mindless SoL moefest? Look no further! Shows like this are all about the gags and cute moments. I can't say much for this show's moe level, but it does have some amusing gags, and the show's not obnoxious or repetitive about them. It's an alright show, but nothing special.

Hitsugi no Chaika
This show is....hmm. It's hard to describe. It doesn't offend me in any way, yet I don't have any really strong feelings for it. Despite not having any strong feelings for it, I still look forward to every episode, and I am still pretty interested. Maybe I like the show better than I think I do? Also the fight scenes are pretty cool.

Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei
Another okay show. I don't see the jingoism that other people claim, but I do see the amateurish writing that they also claim. Also the main guy's sister is annoying and creepy. Like, I get affectionate, but for some reason, she creeps me out. She looks nice though, so maybe that'll make up for it to him? I do like how other guys are there and are actual romantic targets for the female characters. So it's not a full-on harem atleast!

Pokemon XY 27
(episode 27 spoiler)
Spoiler: show
Meh. What a letdown. I thought this episode might be entertaining, but it did nothing for me. I thought with the mega evolution thing going on, we'd get a balls-to-the wall action extravaganza! Sadly it was just a meet-up with the champion and the usual Team Rocket being obnoxious. Episodes like this really make me wish Satoshi would stop starting over every season. I wonder if they'll give him his Lizardon and make it do the mega evolution thing. For a good thing? I found out why several people called Sirnight "Sana", so I atleast learned something?

I also decided to give Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon a shot. No clue if it'll be worth a damn, but Asama tells me to watch it! I was always under the impression that it was a braindead fanservice show, and I'm probably right.
Old 06-03-2014, 12:18 PM   #6417
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

Double post, because I'm worth it!

Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon
What the hell? I watched the first episode, and after that, I just had to watch the second, and after that, the third wasn't done downloading and I got pissed off. This show is alot more interesting than I thought it would be. I don't get alot of what is going on, and the fact that names are a big part of remembering what's going on will make it difficult for me. I'm also relived that mechs aren't part of the show. I saw those suits the characters wore, and I always assumed this was a mecha show. The main characters click really well, and when the show isn't being serious, I do enjoy seeing everyone interact with each other. The main guy is also a treat. You can't beat having a goofball main character! For criticisms? Too much bounce, I guess. Otherwise, no issues.
Old 06-07-2014, 06:14 AM   #6418
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Eien no Aselia

I suspect I like this more than BBB. While the humans are boring/annyoing as fudge (except Lesteena) the girls are great fun. Although I don't care for the profligate food scenes.

Aselia has some silly things that are good to mock, though. Aside from the food scenes.

[girl gets armed chopped off]

"Hey...are you OK?"

[girl reads information about territory from a combat manual]

"Wow...you really are knowledgeable".

Maybe the main guy is just a retard.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 06-07-2014, 05:36 PM   #6419
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Pokémon XY: I watched Episode 028 last week; as usual, AK2 was eager to discuss and I got everything out of my system then. I had thought that I had written my post up already about this episode but when I saw bbb's post I realized that I had not yet done so.

Overall I thought it was an okay episode. It pleasantly surprised me in some ways and let me down in others.

Going into the episode, I had low expectations about the character animation. The sneak peek had already reminded me that ShoPro can't draw Gardevoir to save their lives and past episodes had already confirmed that ShoPro has a very special knack at taking the beautiful female champions and downgrading them. (ShoPro Cynthia, I'm looking at you. Cynthia's Cynthia and you're still one of the anime's better sights for sore eyes but god damn if you aren't a gray-eyed downgrade from the beauty in the video games. ) So when you consider that Diantha / Carnet is already a significant step down from Cynthia in my book, you might imagine that I wasn't expecting much from ShoPro on the Diantha front.

Well, while I'm still no Diantha fanboy, I can at least say that ShoPro proved me wrong in the sense that they proved able to transpose Diantha from the video games to the television screen very nicely. She came across very well in this episode: elegant, pretty, etc. So that was good. If Diantha is going to feature in XY as much as Cynthia did in DP and BW, then it's a good thing for all of us that she's going to look this good.

If Diantha was a pleasant surprise, Gardevoir was an unpleasant no surprise. Good LORD can ShoPro not draw Gardevoir well. >_< I mean, it should not be that hard to draw well one of the most popular Pokémon in the history of the franchise, popular specifically for her elegant beauty. I mean, here, just look:

Fanart:

ShoPro art:

Unbelievable. I mean, at least she doesn't look as bad from the side as she does from the front ... but even from the side ShoPro Gardevoir doesn't look half as good as she does in either fanart or Game Freak official artwork. And from the front? She looks like a frickin' cyclops. >_< Just ugh. WTF IS WRONG WITH YOU, SHO PRO!? WHY DO YOU DRAW HER EYES SO FRICKIN' CLOSE TOGETHER LIKE THAT!? NO ONE ELSE DOES THAT! ONLY YOU!

Maybe all hope isn't lost. Maybe she looks wonderful as a Mega Gardevoir. Maybe--

... well ...

... at least she doesn't look like a cyclops anymore. -_-;

Diantha's manager amused me. I got some light lesbian vibes from her. Obviously not the sort of thing we could ever expect Sho Pro to seriously explore, but yeah: I think she likes her.

Regrettably, I think we're nearing the point for me where Citron's gag with his inventions is getting old for me. However, thankfully we're not quite there yet: nearing it, but not quite there. It helped that this week's episode saw a twist on the gag: for once, Citron's machine actually pulls through for the team and works flawlessly. I had honestly expected his device to ruin the piece of cake and for the characters to then lament that the one piece of cake they had been going to split amongst themselves was no more. For the machine to actually work was a welcome surprise. BEHOLD, THE POWER OF SCIENCE!

Comic Relief Team Rocket, oh how I despise thee. Gettin' to a point where if I don't quit watching the anime for other reasons first I may quit watching it for a while just to give myself some breathing space from these buffoons. They are single handedly the worst part of the vast majority of episodes they show up in. They corral the writing down very prescribed, very predictable paths. They're not funny. I just hate them at this point. Not the voice actors, even if it's their desires that are to blame for the Rocket Trio's return to comic relief. Just the bumbling trio themselves. Can't tell you for the life of me why Wobbuffet gets a special pass but he does. Love that guy and his simple pun to death.

We really didn't need the Rocket Trio this week. It was very obvious why the writers inserted them in the first place: an easy solution to the problem of how to resolve Ash's battle with Diantha. If you show Ash beating Diantha ... well, you can't possibly do that, that'd be ridiculous. But if you show Ash losing to Diantha, you risk angering all of the fans who are sick and tired of seeing Ash lose, who would take his defeat at this stage -- even at the Champion's hands -- as a sign that his Pikachu's power level has once again been reset. So what do you do? You have the fight get interrupted halfway. Oh look, we've shown Diantha kicking Ash's ass to please the one half of the fanbase. Oh look, we haven't explicitly declared that Ash lost, so as to please the other half of the fanbase. Oh shucks: Team Rocket's come along and soaked up the remaining time that Ash might've had to continue his fight with Diantha. Oh darn it: isn't that a shame that Diantha is on such a tight schedule because we made it so and that she has to leave now. ;(

Like ... this is obviously why the Rocket Trio was there this week. To give the writers an easy out to the Ash vs. Diantha problem. But that's all the more reason I resent their presence. Because the writers should be embarrassed about taking the easy outs at every opportunity. For Christ's sake: you love to write, don't you? You decided to make your living by being paid to write stories, didn't you? Well then show some professional maturity and welcome a writing challenge for once. It's not like this particular challenge would've even been all that hard to work around without the Rockets.

The Mega Evolution stones were pretty. I liked Gardevoir's. Fun little chicken and the egg there. (Did Diantha mirror her hairstyle after the stone? Or did the stone incidentally match Diantha's already-held hairstyle?)

Not much to say about Diantha's story about the time she got lost in the fog and Gardevoir was able to find her. I just liked the image of the two of them hugging after finding one another.

While I wasn't too thrilled with ShoPro's final product i.e. Mega Gardevoir's appearance, I had expected going into this episode that we'd get to see some pretty lights and lasers and such with regards to Mega Evolution. And I was not disappointed in this regard. I mean, just look:

Lights!

And lasers. Well, not so much "lasers" as energy arcs, but you know what I mean. If nothing else, this episode was pretty outside of Gardevoir and Mega Gardevoir. So that was nice.

bbb, I'm considering asking Yuki to duplicate our posts into a thread dedicated for the discussion of XY. Would you like her to copy your posts over as well? I haven't asked her yet (if she reads this post it'll likely be the first she's heard of it) so if you'd rather not then we can continue to post here. But I figure since we've been posting so long and since there are others besides us who check in to read our posts, we could probably make things easier on them by making a thread specifically for XY.
Old 06-07-2014, 06:45 PM   #6420
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Is Diantha the XY champion or the champion from BW2?
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 06-07-2014, 07:14 PM   #6421
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
Is Diantha the XY champion or the champion from BW2?
Diantha is the Champion from XY / Kalos / Gen 6.
Old 06-07-2014, 07:29 PM   #6422
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Okay then...

It doesn't make sense for people to be pissed at her beating Ash right now, then. Ash hasn't even cleared all the gyms in Kalos, it's ridiculous for him to beat the champion and then, say, trip up in the Pokemon League later in the series.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 06-07-2014, 09:19 PM   #6423
Talon87
時の彼方へ

In response ...

Speaking for myself, I was glad that Ash didn't beat Diantha. (I would have accepted a defeat or a prematurely-terminated match.) The anime has established on numerous occasions that the Champion is, bar none, the strongest / the most capable / the most accomplished trainer in the region. During the Sinnoh series, it was canonically established that none of the Elite Four is as good as the Champion -- at the very end of the series, Flint challenges Cynthia to a title match, not the usual exhibition material we see Champions engage in, and Cynthia accepts. The event is broadcast on regional (possibly national) television and Flint ends up losing to Cynthia; thus Cynthia retains her title as Sinnoh Champion while Flint remains "merely" a member of Sinnoh's Elite Four. During this same series, it was established that Flint is way, way ahead of Ash. Indeed, pulling us back to general talk, it's been established time and again in a number of the series that Ash is nowhere near at the level of any Elite Four members. So if Ash isn't able to beat Elite Four trainers in a serious fight, and if Elite Four members are not always (or even commonly) able to beat the reigning Champion in a serious fight, then it would be ludicrous for Ash to beat the Champion in a serious fight. Especially when it's a 1v1 fight and she's using her own hallmark Pokémon, no different to her in terms of emotional importance and experience than Pikachu is to Ash. When it's "the Champion's Pikachu" vs. Ash's Pikachu, you're damn right that I expect "the Champion's Pikachu" to win. Be it Diantha's Gardevoir, be it Lance's Dragonite, be it Cynthia's Garchomp, whomever: I expect them to be able to beat Ash's Pikachu in a fair fight.

That stated, not everyone in the fandom feels the same way as I do. A lot of people see Ash's defeat by powerful trainers (gym leaders, Elite Four, Champions, whomever) as signs that his power level has been reset. In the most recent case (the Unova-to-Kalos reset), while I personally don't feel like we've seen an obvious reset (past seasons have been a lot more obtuse about it), it is hard to deny that were there absolutely no power reset that Pikachu should not be losing some of the matches he's been losing. This is because, in Unova, Pikachu is shown to be an even match for one of Unova's deities. He takes on Tornadus 1v1, the latter in his therian form, and not only is he unharmed by an electrical attack from the thunder deity but he's actually gifted all of the electricity that Thundurus just hurtled at him. And he uses that energy to launch this attack at Giovanni:

It was a spectacular episode ... but one which got many fans' hopes up regarding Pikachu's power level. It more or less canonically stated, "Yes, Pikachu is as powerful as a god, can hold his own 1-on-1 against it while it's in its ultimate form, and can dish this kind of an attack out when called upon to do so (provided he has enough energy inside of him already when he does)." So when some of the fans see episodes like XY028, they get disappointed. "Pikachu isn't supposed to lose. If he does lose, then it means his power level has been reset again -- in which case UGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! ~___~"
Old 06-08-2014, 12:09 AM   #6424
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

Quote:
bbb, I'm considering asking Yuki to duplicate our posts into a thread dedicated for the discussion of XY. Would you like her to copy your posts over as well? I haven't asked her yet (if she reads this post it'll likely be the first she's heard of it) so if you'd rather not then we can continue to post here. But I figure since we've been posting so long and since there are others besides us who check in to read our posts, we could probably make things easier on them by making a thread specifically for XY.
I don't have a problem with a thread for XY. Honestly, I was surprised there wasn't a thread dedicated to the Pokemon anime already when I started Best Wishes.

For duplicating my posts, I don't mind that either, but that sounds like it'd be a giant pain in the ass to do. I mean, if she's willing to go through that, then I have no problems with that either.

I can hold off my thoughts for 29 until a thread is made (I haven't watched it yet, but it's downloaded).

Also, Royal Moon Gardevoir/Sirnight is HNNNGtastic.
Old 06-08-2014, 12:23 AM   #6425
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by big bad birtha View Post
For duplicating my posts, I don't mind that either, but that sounds like it'd be a giant pain in the ass to do. I mean, if she's willing to go through that, then I have no problems with that either.
Hadn't really thought of that, tbh. Dunno why, but my mindset was different regarding this thread than many of the others we've spun off from here. I still haven't asked Yuki; I may ask still just in case (who knows!), but I may not even bother her with the request. Either way, if copying the posts over doesn't happen, the next logical step is to simply make an ToC post near the start of the thread with links to all of our posts in this thread -- like I usually do.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime