UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > The Misc

Old 06-14-2009, 01:42 PM   #1
Vran
Cascade Badge

BBC reports humorous Fr/En mistakes

Quote:
My father once returned from a trip to France complaining bitterly that the French had just laughed at him when he had tried to ask for directions to the railway station.

A few probing questions revealed that he had not asked for la gare at all - he had asked for la guerre (the war) - and the locals were simply hysterical at the idea of this white-haired, would-be combatant showing up for duty 65 years too late.
Quote:
In English, looking and watching are two different things. In French, one word - regarder - will cover you for both.

My American friend Janet, on holiday in Montana with her French husband Eddy, suggested he wandered around the shops while she tried on her zillionth pair of shoes.

After a few minutes spent in a bed linen store he was a approached by the female assistant who asked him if he needed any help.

"No thanks, I am just watching," he smiled, and was puzzled as she backed off slowly, desperately fumbling for her phone.
Quote:
Madame de Gaulle was said to have been lunching with the American ambassador at the time of her husband's retirement when she was asked what she was most looking forward to in the years ahead.

She thought for a moment before announcing boldly: "A penis". A startled hush fell over the table until the former president leant over and said: "My dear, I think it's pronounced 'happiness'."
I saved the best one in the story for last. You can read the original article in full here.
Old 06-18-2009, 02:26 PM   #2
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
Marvelous. Absolutely marvelous.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 04:53 PM   #3
Hanatori
Skippy.

Jumpluff

Oh man, I forgot about this thread. I was going to reply and everything. ;; Those mistakes were funny...

My French I teacher once said that French is a dangerous language. I think she was justified in saying so, given that students had some creative pronunciations for words like "dix" and "crĂŞpe."
Old 06-18-2009, 05:53 PM   #4
Tyranidos
beebooboobopbooboobop

Send a message via AIM to Tyranidos Send a message via MSN to Tyranidos
Graveler

Va te faire feutre!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > The Misc