UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Video Games

Old 05-15-2009, 03:12 PM   #26
Weebos
TOO SLOW! LOL

Send a message via AIM to Weebos Send a message via MSN to Weebos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vran View Post
^ On any other webforum, this would be considered spam.
Weebos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 03:41 PM   #27
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

I thought everything we said was spam :P
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 04:17 PM   #28
Emp
Volcano Badge

VRAN4MOD2K9!
Emp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 06:48 PM   #29
Vran
Cascade Badge

I finally got my hands on Mojipittan DS and it's incredibly cute. In fact, it's the closest thing I have now to owning my very own real-life set of living tiles with cute little arms and legs, cute little smiley faces, all cutely shuffling around the board as I play Japanese Scrabble with them.

The grumpy kitty recommends this very cute game to you. 2:25 for the cute dancing tiles.
Old 06-03-2009, 07:15 AM   #30
Mr. XXXXXXXX
Uncooperative Artist

Hrmm.... A good long addicting game that is fun would be Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker. Not like the old DQIV etc. you get to synth monz instead of just fighting. And then there's a
Wifi connection.
Old 06-10-2009, 11:18 AM   #31
Vran
Cascade Badge

I bought it almost a year ago to the day, but I finally got around to playing Hotel Dusk: Room 215 and it's been enjoyable so far. It's a detective mystery story with a little camp and a lot of flavor.

To compare it with Phoenix Wright, I'd say that Hotel Dusk is less child-friendly. It's also less flashy. It plays like a Dirty Harry film minus the action scenes turned into a Phoenix Wright-style video game. Kyle Hyde, the protagonist, is an ex-cop who reminds you of Spike Spiegel from Cowboy Bebop. Hyde's Vicious is a man named Bradley, his former partner on the NYPD, and a man he's been hunting down for the last three years since turning in his badge for reasons we still don't fully understand.

This brings us to titular room, No.215. The hotel manager tells us that he's named each of the rooms after something -- "Love," "Angel," "Success," and so forth. The name he gave Room 215 was "Wish." And he's been told by several guests who spent the night in Room 215 that the room granted their wish. Kyle thinks it's a bunch of nonsense, but given his deep-seeded wish to find Bradley and exact vengeance upon him, it does make one wonder ...

I'd recommend looking into it, Muyotwo. Here's some sample gameplay, here's the Wikipedia page, and here's some more sample gameplay.
Old 06-10-2009, 11:37 AM   #32
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

Send a message via Skype™ to Concept
I've got Hotel Dusk myself; I've not got very far through it, but it's good so far.
Concept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 10:03 AM   #33
Amras.MG
Not sure if gone...

Final Fantasy Tactics Advance 2 is amazing. I've beaten all 301 missions and still play it a ton.

If you don't have the DSi, I suggest getting the GBA Fire Emblem (original or Sacred Stones).

Advance Wars: Days of Ruin was pretty fun, too.

I bought Lego Star Wars: The Complete Saga for s's and g's, and had a great time with it.

Those are pretty much the games I play on DS (not including teh pogeymanz).

FFTA2 > FFTA

Amras.MG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 10:25 AM   #34
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amras.MG View Post
FFTA2 > FFTA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blastoise View Post
You're wrong. Stop being wrong.
Old 06-11-2009, 01:39 PM   #35
Lady Kuno
The hostess with the mostess

How about we agree both FFTA sucked. The original and the PSP remake are great, the advance ones are annoying and suck.

PROUD OWNER OF A MISSINGNO. IN FIZZY BUBBLES
Lady Kuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 01:47 PM   #36
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

I wouldn't say either of them suck; I quite like both of them, just prefer FFTA to FFTA2. I'll agree that the original FFT was great though.
Old 06-11-2009, 05:05 PM   #37
Amras.MG
Not sure if gone...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Concept View Post
I wouldn't say either of them suck; I quite like both of them, just prefer FFTA to FFTA2. I'll agree that the original FFT was great though.
I've never been able to play the original although I'd really like to.
Amras.MG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 02:30 PM   #38
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

> I bought it almost a year ago to the day, but I finally got around to playing Hotel Dusk: Room 215 and it's been enjoyable so far. It's a detective mystery story with a little camp and a lot of flavor.

A friend told me about this game and now all I can think is that the main character totally has the hots for the guy that's missing.

I may buy it eventually. ;D

私のことを消して本気で愛さないで 恋なんてただのゲーム 楽しめばそれでいい
閉ざした心を飾る 派手なドレスも靴も 孤独の友達

asbwffb

[jerichi]
Jerichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 03:24 PM   #39
Vran
Cascade Badge

LOL! Perhaps! ;) But I would compare Kyle Hyde and Brian Bradley to Phoenix Wright and Miles Edgeworth or, even more accurately, to Spike Spiegel and Vicious. Is there room for fans to rib one another about a possible romance between Feenie and Edgey? Yes, definitely. Or between Spike and Vicious? I suppose. O_o But is it likely? Or ever explicitly hinted at? Nah, not once. Not for PW, not for Bebop, and not for Hotel Dusk's primary protagonist and antagonist.

There is one character in the game who it was strongly hinted at as being gay. You find an item of his which reads, "To [male name], with love." You later learn that [male name] is the dude's former best friend -- and I mean best best friend, like ... they both felt like the world had rejected them except they had one another ... yeah ... yeaaaaaaaaaaah XD -- and so it's strongly implied through the course of the conversation that our conversation partner purchased this item as a gift for [male name]. And with a message like "To [male name], with love", it's pretty damn hard to NOT argue that the dude is gay for his ex-friend. It doesn't hurt that there are some stereotypical tidbits about this fellow which lend themselves handsomely to his being gay:
Spoiler: show
He's an artist. Stereotypical, yes, but there you have it. Specifically, he's a writer.

Also, his novels are incredibly popular with the ladies. So he's a dude who writes for women ... interesting. ;) All by itself, it's nothing, but taken together with the other evidence ...

It gets better. He's that classic potbellied beared glasses-wearing man of middle class stature. Don't mean he's gay, but ...

He always smiled at Kyle in a rather ... warm way. That's how I'd describe it: very warm. Like how a grandma smiles at her grandson. Adoringly. Warmly. Now it makes sense why. XD

So it's not like the game is homophobic. It definitely has at least one GLBT character. But I don't think Kyle's on the list.

The reason we don't for sure if the one dude is gay or not, I think, has more to do with the localized version of the game than with the game itself.

Spoiler: show
There's a specific point in the conversation, very shortly after you learn that Martin got the pen for Alan, where you confront Martin with this statement: "I know your secret." And you're given two options to choose from. One is that he copied Alan's book. But we'd already established that by then! The other was a wrong answer. When you pick the right answer, Martin gets all red and embarrassed. Not smilingly so. More like "P-P-PrePOSTerous!" Like an old windbag who's at a loss for words. But that sort of reaction, once again, don't fit with accusing him of copying a manuscript that he'd moments earlier admitted to. So I think it's a localization issue: I think the original question might have been about Martin's sexuality (and hence why it followed on the heels of the pen discussion)(and also hence why he was worried you were going to report him to the press), and they wanted to avoid that to avoid soccer moms complaining here in the States.
Old 06-12-2009, 03:48 PM   #40
Vran
Cascade Badge

How about a review with no spoilers for Mr. Muyotwo?

I'm through Chapter 05 of Hotel Dusk. It's okay, but I'll confess it seems to drag on compared with the Phoenix Wright games. I think it's mostly because of cabin fever: you're stuck inside this one hotel with two stories. The rooftop is pretty bare and you've explored almost every single room in the building by this point. A lot of the game's mechanic has now become running errands for people. I'll give you an example. A kid is lying to me and I have the evidence to prove it: a newspaper in the lobby. But if I try to pick up the newspaper, it won't let me. Instead, what I have to do first is talk to the kid. He'll then challenge me to show proof, and I'll fail. Only then can I go back to the lobby and successfully add the newspaper to my inventory. I knock on the kid's door but he won't open up. I have to go get something else out of my suitcase. So I do. Now he opens up. If I show him the something else first, he goes "HA HA! YOU DID IT!" I have to show him the paper first. So I do. THEN I show him the something-else and he starts to talk.

It's sort of like if PW combined its courtroom with its crime scene investigations. And I have to admit, I'm glad it doesn't.

To give Muyotwo a feel for the characters in the hotel:
  • Kyle Hyde, Room 215, a door-to-door salesman from Los Angeles who "retired" (was canned) from the NYPD three years ago after shooting his ex-partner Brian Bradley on a dock near the Hudson River
  • Dunning Smith, a mid-50s unpleasant rascal of a man. In his wifebeater (thin white shirt) and suspenders, he looks like someone you'd expect to find in a 1950s barbershop. He is the manager of Hotel Dusk.
  • Rosa, a woman in her mid-40s or mid-50s. She's the big, burly maid and cook for Hotel Dusk. A woman of many talents, but neither delicacy nor beauty are on the list. She warms up to Kyle after he helps her with a few errands.
  • Iris, a woman staying in Room 216 opposite Kyle. She is a beautiful woman in her 30s. Kyle believes her to be a Hollywood actress on retreat (given her story for being at Hotel Dusk) and calls her "Princess" because of how pampered he thinks she must be given her behavior towards the other guests.
  • Jeff Angel, a teenage punk who doesn't have much to say to anybody. He's staying in Room 213.
  • Kevin and Melissa, an L.A. surgeon and his 10-year old daughter. Kevin's not exactly what you'd call the world's greatest dad. Melissa's mom left them about a year ago and they haven't seen her since. They came to Hotel Dusk, according to Melissa, because Kevin told his daughter that they'd find her mother here.
  • Helen, an elderly woman with a cane and a prominent black eyepatch over her right eye. She arrived at Hotel Dusk mere moments after Kyle and came specifically to request Room 215. Dunning informs her that Kyle has just taken it. She seems upset but then doesn't show this side of her ever again. (Not yet, anyway.) She seems like a simpering old lady. Like ... Senator Palpatine if he had been a woman. I don't trust her. I don't know whether Kyle does, either, but for the time being he has an appointment to drink with her tonight at the bar.
  • Martin Summer, a famous writer staying in Room 212. He's an odd fellow who at times seems jolly and amicable but at others seems to be quite brusque and defensive. He both loves to and hates talking about himself, and it falls to Kyle to figure out why.
  • Louis deNonno, a.k.a. Louie, a pickpocket from NYC who Kyle busted on numerous occasions. Louie moved to L.A. three years ago after his buddy Danny was killed by Bradley during the same sting/operation in which Kyle believes Bradley betrayed the police force. The two become unlikely partners in sleuthing. Louie is an idiot, though, and a coward, so Kyle can only rely on Louie for the things Louie does best: taking things without getting caught by others and being a nuisance during times Kyle needs to keep a particular guest distracted from what he's about to do.
  • Mila, a mysterious girl who doesn't speak but does write. She has a bracelet that says "Mila" on it. Kyle remembers seeing that very same bracelet in connection with Bradley and wonders if Mila might be Bradley's sister. However, Mila tells Kyle that she got the bracelet from PaPa, whose name she tells Kyle is Robert Evans. If true, this is puzzling. If false, why is Mila lying to Kyle?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Video Games