UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-23-2011, 12:47 PM   #101
Torkoal Stu
This

People hate Zebstrika? Wait, what?

Zebstrika is easily one of the best Pokémon designs (at least Gen V-wise). Like this franchise has thrown a lot of bad Pokémon designs our way but Zebstrika is nowhere near one of them. And it shocks me that people can hate it D:
Torkoal Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 12:48 PM   #102
Selena
Aroma Lady

Whats with the ice-cream hate people? Everybody loves ice-cream. I don't have any problems with an icecream pokemon, except with the spoon sticking in Vaniluxe, thats just wrong...

Unownmew, you have something against easter island? Those statues are supposed to have said top hats, just no moustache. Which I think is a nice twist. Admittably they should have actual bodies as well, since the actual statues appear to be burried.

B- grade ref.
Quote:
Originally Posted by empoleon dynamite View Post
Shouldn’t the Hoff be doing something if he’s still around? I have strict rules about leaving the pool, and I’m sure vanishing the pool out of existence breaks those rules in some way :P
Selena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 12:57 PM   #103
unownmew
Banned

Send a message via MSN to unownmew
Quote:
Originally Posted by YUKI.N View Post

Just want to point out first gen already did this with Voltorb. =|
Good point! I forgot about that, and finding Voltorb around in the Rocket's hideout in Silver Version was pretty cool.

But at least Voltorb had a good reason for looking like a pokeball though: an unknown inorganic pokemon. Not much is know about them, and no one knows why it looks like a pokeball.

Where possible theories could be concocted like: it's a pokeball that came alive through electricity.
And it has a cool name.

Foongus Amoongus, have the stupidest names I've ever heard. (Already got sick of my dad making stupid fungus jokes with that phrase, years ago), and it has no real backstory or possible explanation for it's FAIL evolutionary traits available in the pokedex.
No wild pokemon in it's right mind would bother approaching a dropped pokeball, and pokeballs (being metal/plastic), won't magically somehow turn into a fungus like one could believe they could turn into a Voltorb by being exposed to electricity.
Besides, Fungi don't prey, they decompose already dead stuff.

make the Pokedex lore say:
it preys on unsuspecting trainers by pretending to be a lost item, stuns them with spore powders and then devours them/turns them into a host for incubating it's spores.
or
it is a strange fungus which decays lost items/pokeballs despite them having no organic materials. Where a dropped item is left and unfound for a long time, a Foongus appears, to decompose it back to the natural enviroment.

and then we can talk about it being a possible canon pokemon.

Last edited by unownmew; 08-23-2011 at 12:59 PM.
unownmew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 12:59 PM   #104
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Snow Globe Head = Snow Cone Head = Snowball Head = Peppermint Patty otter with baby bib for a belly = Oshawott. I love the one on Ash's team and he's single-handedly made me warm up to the line, but a terrible design remains terrible no matter how much we try to condition ourselves to like it. He looks like a Sanrio (makers of Hello Kitty) Mr. Potato Head, ffs.

Gothitelle is HIDEOUS. Oedipal gouging out of the eyes hideous.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 01:32 PM   #105
unownmew
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torkoal Stu View Post

Zebstrika is easily one of the best Pokémon designs (at least Gen V-wise). Like this franchise has thrown a lot of bad Pokémon designs our way but Zebstrika is nowhere near one of them. And it shocks me that people can hate it D:
I can't stand those black and white Zig-zaggy lightning bolts. If they had gone with a toned down stripe-set, or did something else entirely design-wise so it's only "vaguely" like a zebra, just like electabuzz is only vaguely like a tiger, then I wouldn't mind it so much. I dislike the typing a bit, because I think they're tossing electric on too many pokemon where it doesn't really fit, and it's starting to get overkill, where the base animal could be much better suited for a different type.
Electric squirrel, electric flying squirrel, electric bunnies (plusle and minun), electric mouse-lion-thing (Luxray), electric lion-thing (Manectric), etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by milotic111 View Post
Whats with the ice-cream hate people? Everybody loves ice-cream. I don't have any problems with an icecream pokemon, except with the spoon sticking in Vaniluxe, thats just wrong...
Don't forget the straw..

I don't hate Ice cream, I hate pokemon that look like food. What other pokemon look like a type of food? It's unnatural, not to mention it doesn't fit ancient pokemon lore (when ice cream could never have existed).
It's called the icicle pokemon, so, shouldn't it look more like an icicle, then having a food theme? If it was just a plain icicle, with maybe a better name, I wouldn't mind so much.

I just want to hope this isn't a sign of things to come. We have animals, plants, ghosts, and inanimate objects. Do we really need food pokemon? What's next? A Taco Pokemon? Or maybe it's a pancake. What if it's a beef stroganof or a cheesy ravioli?!
A riceball pokemon though.. I could maybe get behind that.

If they're so out of ideas that that have to resort to food items for concepts... they should maybe hire some new concept artists, and start thinking long and hard about their ideas and focusing on quality instead of tossing out whatever ones they can think of to make it to +100 more pokemon for the next game deadline.

I wouldn't mind one bit if they stopped adding 100s more pokemon each generation, and focused more on a compelling storyline and lots more things to do instead of it.

Based on the original premise of pokemon, pokemon should have been discovered only a few at a time, not with a whole new huge region full of them and people living together there for ages and we just now found them.

Quote:
Unownmew, you have something against easter island? Those statues are supposed to have said top hats, just no moustache. Which I think is a nice twist. Admittably they should have actual bodies as well, since the actual statues appear to be burried.
Nothing against it at all. In fact, I don't mind the top hat so much, I was just using it as an identifier. But, I really do not like the mustache, and the bulk nosepass puts on when it eloves. Nosepass was, kinda dumb, but fine, IMO.

Personally, I think they should not add evolutions after the fact, unless the concept is very, very, very well thought out, along with the method of evolution being simple and reusable. Simply adding items and locations and junk to evolve previously unevolveable pokemon is lame except in certain circumstances where it makes sense. (For example: Leafeon should have evolved with the Leaf stone instead of at mossy rock. And Gallade and Gardevoir should have had different lines from ralts restricted by gender, A male Gardevoir should not have ever existed. While giving a curious steel item and trading, makes sense to evolve some pokemon into a steel type. And they should increase that number instead of keeping it only for the original two (onix and scyther))

Last edited by unownmew; 08-23-2011 at 01:40 PM.
Old 08-23-2011, 02:10 PM   #106
Tyranidos
beebooboobopbooboobop

Send a message via AIM to Tyranidos Send a message via MSN to Tyranidos
Tyranitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torkoal Stu View Post

The Zebra part is cool, but I hate it because of Pokebowl. Same reason why Jeri doesn't like Starly (or at least he used to not like it).
Old 08-23-2011, 02:12 PM   #107
unownmew
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
Snow Globe Head = Snow Cone Head = Snowball Head = Peppermint Patty otter with baby bib for a belly = Oshawott. I love the one on Ash's team and he's single-handedly made me warm up to the line, but a terrible design remains terrible no matter how much we try to condition ourselves to like it. He looks like a Sanrio (makers of Hello Kitty) Mr. Potato Head, ffs.

Gothitelle is HIDEOUS. Oedipal gouging out of the eyes hideous.
Oh, Oshawott. Yeah, that baby otter isn't very cute, but it's evolution isn't too bad. I don't understand it's final evolution though, it doesn't look very otterish, and what's with it turning it's armor into a sword to wave around in one hand while standing on 3 legs?
I agree, bad design remains bad regardless of how much conditioning one gets.

I prefer the river-otter Buizel, but even that one had to take some getting used to.

Ehh, I don't find her half as hideous as some of the other ones I've mentioned previously in the thread. She has great potential in the "vagueity" of fan-art. At certain angles she looks really decent, but other angles, in her canon image, show off a bunch of flaws that make her unappealing.
If she had been given same type of grace as Gardevoir, I think she could have really come off as another great pokemon. Unfortunately, my bet is that she was designed by a wannabe concept artist trying to pull off a Gardevoir but hadn't the slightest clue how.

I wish I could take over GameFreak and do some redesignings, and then distribute a revised pokemon list and make the redesigns canon. As well as making the pokemon have much more "life" and connection with each other, and the lore.
Instead of redesigning lore, and adding new legendaries each generation, why can't they expound upon the original lore, and make everything interconnected and mystical? With a couple good independent side-stories.

Last edited by unownmew; 08-23-2011 at 02:17 PM.
Old 08-23-2011, 06:15 PM   #108
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Old 08-23-2011, 07:44 PM   #109
Ethereal
Creepy Hand Person

Send a message via AIM to Ethereal Send a message via MSN to Ethereal Send a message via Skype™ to Ethereal
Hey screw you Talon I like Gothitelle.
Some 'mon I've grown to hate:
Rotom W
Gliscor
Tyranitar
Excadrill
Scizor (quite a while now)
Skarmory

Skarmory and Gliscor were cool peeps before I explored into the Gen v OU, but with every tool out there running a sandstorm team having at least three of these six 'mon, they've been bastardized to me.
Old 08-23-2011, 07:46 PM   #110
Tyranidos
beebooboobopbooboobop

I had a Sandstorm team before it was cool to have one[/hipster].
Old 08-23-2011, 07:52 PM   #111
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
Hey screw you Talon I like Gothitelle.
Please leave my fandom.
Old 08-23-2011, 08:32 PM   #112
unownmew
Banned

Quote:
Ok, the mouth could have been designed better, but she's certainly not hideous as you put it.

Overall, I like Gothitelle.
Even if she leads me off a cliff with her hypnotic powers..
Old 08-23-2011, 08:33 PM   #113
Princess Ana
Barghest Barghest Barghe-

Send a message via Skype™ to Princess Ana
Quote:
Originally Posted by unownmew View Post
Ok, the mouth could have been designed better, but she's certainly not hideous as you put it.

Overall, I like Gothitelle.
Even if she leads me off a cliff with her hypnotic powers..
I liked Gothitelle a lot too. But, after time, my hangover passed.
Old 08-23-2011, 08:50 PM   #114
unownmew
Banned

Ha. Good thing I don't drink. ;)

My Gardevoir will protect me from Gothitelle's mind powers. And then she'll find she doesn't need them to be accepted.
Old 08-23-2011, 09:13 PM   #115
Tyranidos
beebooboobopbooboobop

I also don't like Vullaby because I played Black and it was fucking everywhere.

I also wanted Braviary and found out that it's a White exclusive after I started playing D:
Old 08-28-2011, 06:45 PM   #116
CyberBlastoise
Team Mother?

Quote:
Snover better looking than Abomasnow? Say what now?

The Garbodor thing may be cute, Stu, but don't let it fool you: I can copy and paste that exact same message and put it with art of any other parent/child Pokémon pairing (or, for those that don't evolve, brother and sister) and it'd be the same thing. "It's okay if people don't like us. Nobody has to. But I'm sure one day we'll find someone special -- someone who will like us for who we are. I'd like that more than anything, I think." Just copy and paste that quote above a picture of Purugly (mother) and Glameow (child), the Purugly licking the Glameow's head, the Glameow purring with eyes happily shut. (See sample. Yes, I realize that's not Glameow , but it's the best I could find in so little time. Original version here.) The Garbodor fan who made that is just trying to guilt you into liking Garbodor when really, if you deconstruct what he's saying ...

>someone who will like us for who we are
>for who we are
>who we are

You're trash, Garbodor. Literally: you're garbage 'mons. The fanart is saying, "Even trash needs love. Adopt some trash today." NO! You flush your poop down the toilet! You don't put a bow and collar on it and name it Poopsiekins! Is it Garbodor's fault it's made of stinky trash? No! But that doesn't mean I have to like it! >_>
HEY! I actually work with Trash, and the thing I hate about it is that people drench their bags in chlorine. You ever have to sit in a truck that smells like chlorine because you have it all over your gloves? Not a pleasant ride believe me. And I actually liked Trubbish when I first saw it, not so much Garbador at first...but I grew to love it.

Pokemon that I hate...hmm...

Well, I can't say much for Magikarp, I hate it, same goes for Blaziken and Prinplup. But I have to say that the number one pokemon in my hate list is...

Spoiler: show
SCRAFTY!!!!

The reason why I hate it mostly is because of its appearance. An orange lizard? I'll accept. And orange lizard with a mohawk, drooping pants that it keeps pulling up and a face that makes you wonder if it came from a mental institute? NO! That thing is just plain ugly, no two ways about it.

But I digress.....

Fizzy Bubbles

PASBL
CyberBlastoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 06:50 PM   #117
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberBlastoise View Post
the thing I hate about it is that people drench their bags in chlorine.
I have never heard of this before. Who sterilizes their trash? Who drenches trash bags in chlorine? Industry, maybe. Hospitals, maybe. But unless you're collecting from either of those two ...

Chlorine is a very strong odorant; and a little bleach can go a long way. Perhaps working with trash, assuming you work with it not on the pickup route but at the processing facility, you smell chlorine because of trace amounts of bleach from used bleach bottles? That's the only thing I can think of.

But I have never, ever heard of people "drenching their bags in chlorine." O_o
Old 08-28-2011, 06:55 PM   #118
CyberBlastoise
Team Mother?

Quote:
I have never heard of this before. Who sterilizes their trash? Who drenches trash bags in chlorine? Industry, maybe. Hospitals, maybe. But unless you're collecting from either of those two ...

Chlorine is a very strong odorant; and a little bleach can go a long way. Perhaps working with trash, assuming you work with it not on the pickup route but at the processing facility, you smell chlorine because of trace amounts of bleach from used bleach bottles? That's the only thing I can think of.

But I have never, ever heard of people "drenching their bags in chlorine." O_o
We pick up out in the woods...you know where there's more wild animals out there to get into the garbage than in the city. Where bears and stuff run free to get themselves a good meal? Yeah...they smell the food inside a lot of the garbage and attack it. And instead of putting the chlorine in the bags and on the food, people decide that it's a good idea to poor it on the outside of said bags. It works, but it smells. Not too many people do it, but the ones that do are on the route that I pick up...mostly where the culprits are the first bags I have to pick up. yeah...

EDIT: Oophs, I meant to put Chlorox not Chlorine...but it's pretty much the same difference.

Fizzy Bubbles

PASBL
CyberBlastoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 04:26 PM   #119
deoxys
Fog Badge

deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 05:04 PM   #120
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberBlastoise View Post
We pick up out in the woods...you know where there's more wild animals out there to get into the garbage than in the city. Where bears and stuff run free to get themselves a good meal? Yeah...they smell the food inside a lot of the garbage and attack it. And instead of putting the chlorine in the bags and on the food, people decide that it's a good idea to poor it on the outside of said bags. It works, but it smells. Not too many people do it, but the ones that do are on the route that I pick up...mostly where the culprits are the first bags I have to pick up. yeah...

EDIT: Oophs, I meant to put Chlorox not Chlorine...but it's pretty much the same difference.
Interesting! I never knew this. I have only ever lived in suburbia or in the city, never out in the woods, so this is the first I've heard of people using chlorine as a deterrent against wild animals foraging through their trash. Most people I know who have to worry about racoons, be it in the MidWest or Florida or wherever, have used bungee cords that they tie around their trash bins' lids. The cords are too powerful for the racoons to manipulate off but easy enough for humans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deoxys View Post
{Minezumi picture}
Reminds me of the comic "Who's watching the watchman?" from Rare Candy Treatment.
Old 08-31-2011, 03:04 PM   #121
deoxys
Fog Badge

I remember that comic. What a good one, too.

As for other Pokemon... Bidoof and Stunfisk could be written out of Pokemon history and I probably wouldn't even care. Bibarel, no. I'd say yes, but it has it's purpose. As an HM whore.
Old 08-31-2011, 03:26 PM   #122
Talon87
時の彼方へ

It's funny how they have a way of making me okay with Pokémon I've previously hated. The anime made me accept Oshawott via Ash's Oshawott because he's simply got the best personality of any Pokemon in the program since Ash's Chikorita back in 2000. The video games made me accept Bidoof via ChunSoft's heartfelt appeal to the masses in PMD2 where they basically made Bidoof out to be the buffoon of the squad (how befitting) but gave him this epic heart of gold and made him the kind of character who, even if he's a total loser, is giving things his all moreso than any other Pokemon on the team. You can't help but to love the guy by the end of the primary Story Mode. Do I still hate Bidoof jumping out everywhere in the 4th gen main games' grassy patches? Yes. Do I hate the creature himself though? I just can't. PMD2 made Bidoof awesome. lol

But I doubt they could ever make me accept Gothitelle.
Old 08-31-2011, 04:05 PM   #123
DaveTheFishGuy
Primordial Fishbeast

Send a message via Skype™ to DaveTheFishGuy
Hey leave Stunfisk alone ;;

Fizzy Bubbles - Cable Club Post - Wild Future

Various awesome artstuffs by DaisyInari

DaveTheFishGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 06:17 PM   #124
deoxys
Fog Badge

Quote:
It's funny how they have a way of making me okay with Pokémon I've previously hated. The anime made me accept Oshawott via Ash's Oshawott because he's simply got the best personality of any Pokemon in the program since Ash's Chikorita back in 2000. The video games made me accept Bidoof via ChunSoft's heartfelt appeal to the masses in PMD2 where they basically made Bidoof out to be the buffoon of the squad (how befitting) but gave him this epic heart of gold and made him the kind of character who, even if he's a total loser, is giving things his all moreso than any other Pokemon on the team. You can't help but to love the guy by the end of the primary Story Mode. Do I still hate Bidoof jumping out everywhere in the 4th gen main games' grassy patches? Yes. Do I hate the creature himself though? I just can't. PMD2 made Bidoof awesome. lol

But I doubt they could ever make me accept Gothitelle.
alright, I'll give that one to you. The Bidoof in PMD was the exception. In fact, he was one of the best characters in terms of growth and development and it was fantastic. I forgot about that, honestly. Thanks for the memory refresher.

Also, I don't care much for gothitelle either. I don't hate it, but.... Eh.

>>Leave Stunfisk alone!

...No.
Old 08-31-2011, 07:30 PM   #125
Tyranidos
beebooboobopbooboobop

>Leave Stunfisk alone

You're lucky he even battles for you bastards ;;

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON