UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON

Old 09-26-2018, 11:57 AM   #1
Shuckle
Problematic Fave

Okay, who here is high key hoping for new evolutions of existing Pokemon?

I've got a list of top 10 creatures I would LOVE to see iterated on. There are many, many pokemon who are very high quality character designs who lack the thematic "finality" of a finished evolutionary chain.

When researching, I did run into a few issues - evos only feel relevant when the pokemon in question is bad but not shit and moderately uncommon. Early route trash and stuff that would be good if not for one unfortunate stat (usually Speed) are pretty much excluded from the running, and stuff that's properly rare is often thematically final - hard to imagine an evolution for Lapras or Snorlax. Still, there's plenty of options for stuff that is good but not great, and feels underwhelming and underdesigned.

Here's my top 10 without further ado!

1. Torkoal
2. Jynx
3. Carnivine
4. Chatot
5. Tauros
6. Girafarig
7. Stantler
8. Cherrim
9. Lumineon
10. Hypno

If you look at some of the new-gen evolutions, like Roserade or Electivire, they add some sort of mutative finality to the line. Electivire takes Electabuzz's electrodes and turns them into an interconnected system. Roserade blooms. Magmortar takes Magmar's weird lava-duck concept and turns it into a lava duck ARTILLERY (shame it sucks competitively though).

Even gens are the retcon gens so it's not outside the realm of possibility that some or all of these will advance somehow. While I am more interested in GF making adjustments to base stats (they experimented with updates to stuff like Arbok and Dodrio, but not enough to bring those things into competitive viability), it's exciting to think that Tauros might get to become a totally bitchin' power-bull and Torkoal might get his Fire/Water tortoise evolution.

...Ah who am I kiddin', it's gonna be another generation of ten thousand fuckin legendaries except NO these aren't LEGENDARIES they're SUPER POKEMON it's DIFFERENT.
Old 09-26-2018, 12:18 PM   #2
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
Hypno, Jynx and Tauros top my list just because I'm terrified they're going to get Mega Evolutions. Cancer is continuous, don'tcha know.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 12:18 PM   #3
Median Dia
Thankful For The Results

I have my doubts that we'll be seeing any new evolutions being added to old lines outside of eevee for a while yet, personally. The above-mentioned Gen. 4 evolutions, while having a few popular entries, have been pretty poorly received by a rather vocal portion of the fanbase from what I've seen, especially things like lickilicki(?) and probopass. And really, how many people here can truly claim to not have forgotten about rhyperior's existence at some point?

Don't get me wrong, I personally enjoyed a large number of those guys and will be more than happy to see the concept return (I personally feel like they missed the opportunity to give farfetch'd an iaijutsu-themed evo when they gave it access to First Impression, ala tangrowth and yanmega's evolutions being triggered by Ancientpower, for example), but the end of the day, it kinda seems like GF's taken a 'the fans have spoken' stance even though it's been over a decade since Gen. 4 was released.

Tangled Feet- "Only I have the right to hit me!"
Median Dia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 03:17 PM   #4
ChampofPokemon
Cascade Badge

There should definitely be more Eeevelutions. They should make more types of Eevee, because Eevee needs more of them, and, the newer games would be so much better with them in it.

Last edited by ChampofPokemon; 09-27-2018 at 07:26 AM.
ChampofPokemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 07:37 PM   #5
Heather
Naga's Voice

I'm not hoping for more evolutions of old Pokémon period until GameFreak decides to put their big boy britches on and realize they're going to need to start retconning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTheFishGuy View Post
Quoth the Honchkrow (nevermore!).
Fizzy Member Post: Catherine Park
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 08:24 PM   #6
Missingno. Master
An actual game I made!

Jynx should have an evolution. Make that trio a thing again.

And of course, we need a Poison-type Eeveelution.

I've also had a few ideas in the past...
  • A split evolution for Vigoroth that gets even more hyper. Obviously would lack the broken stats of Slaking, but would still be respectable in battle. Sky-high Speed, naturally, and I was thinking an Ability that negates the charge turn of two-turn attacks and/or the recharge turn of Hyper Beam variants.
  • Psychic/Fighting split evolution for Abra called Hokus, which evolves into Pokus when traded. Hokus is basically Kadabra, but with actually functional and noticeable muscles, as well as a bit of a gut, holding a fork instead of a spoon. Pokus is an Alakazam with muscles, a belly, and holding a knife and fork. Same stats as their counterparts, just with swapped Attack and Sp. Atk.
  • An Ice/Flying Cryogonal evolution that's basically a snow cloud that houses its Cryogonal minions and summons them to attack.
  • A Water/Flying Luvdisc evolution with high Attack and Speed based on the arrows Cupid shoots at people to make them fall in love.
Old 09-27-2018, 07:41 AM   #7
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heather View Post
I'm not hoping for more evolutions of old Pokémon period until GameFreak decides to put their big boy britches on and realize they're going to need to start retconning.
Begged for Fire/Dragon retconned Charizard for years. Game Freak answered "Here you go ", gave me a fake evolution no one asked for, declared "Charizard has forever been and forever shall be Fire/Flying, now go away!", and that was that. I have no hope left that Game Freak is the team for the job when serious retconning is the job at hand.

Related, one of my newer retcon requests for them that they'll never do is to have them retcon Mega Mawile into a proper Mawile evolution. You can keep mega evolution if you must -- but whether you do or do not, please rebrand "Mega Mawile" as an actual Mawile evolution.

Jynx, I'd really like a proper evolution for. I wrote a post a few years ago exploring the various routes they could take with it. I'd really enjoy the agejou evolution, as it would both service to beautify Jynx while also fitting in very nicely as a natural evolution (because of the natural progression IRL from '90s ganguro fashion to '00s/'10s agejou fashion within the greater gyaru stage). 小悪魔ageha is a fashion magazine that caters to this demographic; if you're unfamiliar with agejou fashion and do a Google image search for 小悪魔ageha, you can get a better idea of what I'm talking about.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 07:12 PM   #8
Heather
Naga's Voice

Speaking of Evolutions and all that jazz, I just had an idea: What if, to make Alolan forms available to the likes of Cubone and Exeggcute outside of Alola without mandating any Ultra Wormhole nonsense, GameFreak elected to make the Strange Souvenir act as an additional condition to the normal one? i.e. to get Alolan Marowak, you would raise a Cubone to Level 28 whilst holding the strange Souvenir at night. All in all, I think it would be a cool idea, even if it technically does require a little retconning since the item apparently did exist in Gen 6, but it would give some cool lore to an otherwise useless item and remove the need for every region after Alola to suffer otherwise out of place ultra wormholes, because we [I[know[/I] we're going to want those forms accessible, if not for the design then for their competitive value-Alolan Marowak did a lot to keep Tapu Koko from breaking early SMOU over its knee, after all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTheFishGuy View Post
Quoth the Honchkrow (nevermore!).
Fizzy Member Post: Catherine Park
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 08:50 PM   #9
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

That's what we do in WF.

私のことを消して本気で愛さないで 恋なんてただのゲーム 楽しめばそれでいい
閉ざした心を飾る 派手なドレスも靴も 孤独の友達

asbwffb