UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime

Old 09-30-2010, 10:43 PM   #1301
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I don't recommend Youtube for watching anime, but since you seem to be okay with it / that's what you've been doing, it sounds like, then try out this guy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ht5-_x_38tM

He's uploaded the entire series as subbed by SS-Eclipse. You said you were halfway through? This is the second half of Episode 12. Go forwards or backwards as necessary to get to where you are. But it looks like he's got 'em all up.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 10:44 PM   #1302
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Sowwy... I knew once I'd read it that I shouldn't have. x.X

What's the third thing you shouldn't spoil?

I'm not too fussed about quality unless it's a series I really enjoy/plan to make videos with. Unless there's a better place you recommend?

Last edited by lilboocorsola; 09-30-2010 at 10:49 PM.
lilboocorsola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 10:58 PM   #1303
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I've been thinking about that. lol

There are a lot of things one shouldn't spoil, but few things rank up there as highly as Tsukimiya Ayu. I think a good general rule of thumb is that the more the show relies on the element of mystery, the worse the spoiler is. Where the ending is predictable, like with Kaiji or Chobits, spoiling how it ends isn't the end of the world. It's not preferable! But it's not the end of the world. These programs tend to rely more heavily on the adventure and less heavily on the destination.

That isn't to say that Kanon is vapid; but it certainly relies very heavily on mystery for Makoto's, Mai's, and Ayu's story arcs. In particular, the show is structured around the mystery surrounding Ayu. There are a lot of things I'd like to discuss with you once you finish, but at least one question I'll ask if you've considered (now that you've been spoilered a bit anyways) is, "If Ayu was such a good friend of Yuuichi's, how come he forgot all about her?" It's not like we can say, "Well maybe Yuuichi has a bad memory," because he remembered his cousin Nayuki's name, after all, in the opening scene to the show. This was his very best friend in the entire town. How could he possibly have forgotten all about her? Could you forget a face that adorable?

This was one observation I would have asked you to make, but it's not the visual ones I've been alluding to. Those have included symbolic things (like the backpack), but also some not-so-obvious ones which you've still not been spoilered on, thankfully, so keep your eyes peeled and all should make sense when you reach the destination at Episode 24.

So, back to the topic. Things which shouldn't be spoilered. Hmm ... I can think of a long list of events I wouldn't want to spoiler for people, things from Haruhi, things from Fullmetal Alchemist, things from Naruto ... but it's hard to say what I'd rank as being as high up there as Kanon's or Planetes's.

Then again, most people will probably say I'm being silly about the Planetes one since the spoiler (the answer) is delivered in Episode 25, only one episode after the question is raised (in the final minutes of Episode 24). But I feel like that window of uncertainty between 24 and 25 was the tensest 25 minutes of my life.
Old 09-30-2010, 11:07 PM   #1304
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
This was one observation I would have asked you to make, but it's not the visual ones I've been alluding to. Those have included symbolic things (like the backpack), but also some not-so-obvious ones which you've still not been spoilered on, thankfully, so keep your eyes peeled and all should make sense when you reach the destination at Episode 24.
Spoiler: show
Well, I think I understand the wings now that I've seen the "crane game" scene. I had an inkling from the beginning... Is Ayu an angel?

As for spoilers... I definitely hate spoiling the plot of Haruhi. But then I always have to warn people not to judge the series by the first episode. XP (I make them watch in original air order.)

What's Planetes, by the way? I've never heard of it. =.
Old 09-30-2010, 11:20 PM   #1305
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

Blech, I was gone all day and a Kanon discussion starts. I'm hurt god damnit!

Anyway, when I watch stuff, I don't try to figure things out unless it's a mystery like Higurashi or they don't give an answer at the end. It makes things more surprising when everything's revealed. This is my answer to the spoiler box directed at me btw, so yes, I was clueless.

Makoto's path spoiler
For Makoto's path, at the end of the episode where Mishio explains to Yuuichi that Makoto is a fox that is slowly dieing, I started bawwing the entire episode as she kept degenerating. Makoto's behavior was really sweet, but god damn was the result sad.

Last edited by big bad birtha; 09-30-2010 at 11:24 PM.
big bad birtha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 11:22 PM   #1306
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
Quote:
So, back to the topic. Things which shouldn't be spoilered. Hmm ... I can think of a long list of events I wouldn't want to spoiler for people, things from Haruhi, things from Fullmetal Alchemist, things from Naruto ... but it's hard to say what I'd rank as being as high up there as Kanon's or Planetes's.
*nudge nudge* :P

I'm shocked to hear Planetes is so prone to spoiling. It's amazing I've lasted this long. I think tonight...I must finish something. Gain my resolve back. I caught a sickness not too long ago and have been lethargic since. I just came back from my first run in two and a half weeks, it's time for CHANGE.

Quote:
Then again, most people will probably say I'm being silly about the Planetes one since the spoiler (the answer) is delivered in Episode 25, only one episode after the question is raised (in the final minutes of Episode 24). But I feel like that window of uncertainty between 24 and 25 was the tensest 25 minutes of my life.
Gonna forget I read that. This hand of mine burns with an awesome MOTIVATION.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 11:26 PM   #1307
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Not answering ANY questions pertaining to Ayu's identity. You'll just have to get to 21, and then to 22, and then to 23, and then to 24 to see!

"What's Planetes?" you ask? Quoting my old web page ...
Quote:
PlanetES is the story of a group of men and women who spend their lives primarily aboard a space station orbiting Earth, and how they come to terms with their memories from the past and their dreams for the future. Through the eyes of the newest member, Ai Tanabe, we meet the members of the Han Section whose responsibility is to retrieve the most dangerous or difficult of space debris.

What makes the Han Section cut out for the challenge? Perhaps the energetic Hachirota "Hachimaki" Hoshino whom Tanabe labels as her senpai? Maybe it's thanks to the unparalleled piloting skills of the pilot of the ToyBox, Fee Carmichael, a chain-smoking woman who prides herself on getting the job done? Then there's Yuri Mihairokoh to consider, the calm and collected Russian astronaut who is responsible for taking care of the animals and assisting Hachimaki? The answer would be that it's thanks to all of these talented people working together that the spat-upon Han Section can rise to the occasion and do great things. And with Ai Tanabe on the crew, they have a new attribute added to the list ... an undying sense of moral righteousness. lol You have to see it to believe it!

Interested? Well, you should be! PlanetES is a lot more than meets the eye. Sit back and prepare for an exhilarating drama like no other -- a drama about space garbage and the men and women who collect it. A story for the history books, a story for the 21st Century at hand.
Planetes is the story of garbagemen in space.

I'm dead serious. Why aren't you excited? You should be excited.

Planetes is way more awesome than its peculiar promise may sound. It is an incredibly moving human drama.

NOT a spoiler. Being used to condense text. Please do click.
It looks like the license holder's done a great job of keeping the content off of Youtube -- shoot -- but you can still check out the awesome opening, "Dive in the Sky", by clicking here .

Wiki writes of the two main characters:

Hachirota Hoshino is the protagonist of the series. Everyone simply calls him "Hachi" (Japanese for "eight" or "eighth") or "Hachimaki" (ハチマキ?), "headband", because he wears one during his EVAs. His dream has always been to own his own spaceship, but between the cost of purchasing one and his low-paying, seemingly dead-end job, Hachi struggles with even deciding whether or not to pursue his dream. Hachi's father is a renowned engineer, a source of much ambivalence to Hachimaki. Much of Hachi's drive is summed up in "bigger, faster, and further". However, this drive makes him conflicted about his own relationship with space. Loud and brash, Hachi has difficulty expressing himself adequately, especially in romantic matters.

Ai Tanabe is the newest member of the Debris Section. She is the adopted daughter of a death metal band leader turned engineer and an elementary school teacher. Tanabe did not speak until she was three years old. She is bright and earnest, but mostly unsure of herself. As a newcomer to space, the Debris Section and to extra-vehicular activity all at the same time, she has to slowly learn the ropes from everyone else. She believes that love, or "ai" (possibly a pun intended on her name being the Japanese word for love) is the solution to every problem. Kind and sweet, she is willing to do almost anything to help others. However, her kind spirit also masks a drive to become better than she is.
Old 10-01-2010, 11:22 AM   #1308
Talon87
時の彼方へ

It's official. I'm re-watching Planetes. I'm halfway through Episode 1 right now. God, this show is magnificent! So, so glad I own the entire thing on DVD!

I just wish that they will some day make a live-action J-drama version of this anime. It'll require a really high budget to pull off the zero gravity scenes right, not to mention high-quality actors, but good God would it be internationally popular. It's such a shame that so many adults in our world can't appreciate a good story just because it's been told in cartoon form!
Old 10-01-2010, 11:45 AM   #1309
McSweeney
Soul Badge

Is the dub good? If so I'd be interested in rewatching it myself that way.

Smoking Gary sez:
"Stay in school kidz"
McSweeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 11:53 AM   #1310
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I couldn't stomach it. Not even my dad could. My dad is a slow reader and can't keep up with subtitles, so when he expressed interest in Planetes, I was stoked but I realized we'd need to try out the dub. We got through like 10 minutes of Episode 1 and I was like, "Dad, trust me. This isn't what it's supposed to be like. -.-;" So he was a good sport and watched the entire first episode with me in Japanese. He enjoyed it very much, but in the end he said that since he couldn't keep up with the subtitles, there was ultimately not much point in us going any further.

I dream of an American live-action Planetes for people like my dad.

Here's the Bandai trailer for the English dub. While it can be a bit unfair to judge an entire dub by just two minutes, check it out and see for yourself just how bad the voice acting is for Hachi. Fee also sounds pretty bad: she sounds like she's reading a script (SURPRISE! SHE IS!) instead of actually being Fee Carmichael. Her badassery all sounds so forced. But man, Hachi's god-awful.

I know this is a weeaboo gripe, but I really can't stand how Tanabe mispronounces her own name in the dub. "I'm TA-na-be!" No. No, you're not. Fucking ignorant voice actress. -_-; You're supposed to be ta-NA-be. Get it right!

Last edited by Talon87; 10-01-2010 at 12:01 PM.
Old 10-01-2010, 10:45 PM   #1311
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Finished Kanon!

Thank goodness you didn't spoil the entire ending for me, Talon. ^^; You were right about the lull, but I kept holding out for some extra clever twist at the end... And was not disappointed. It hit me right before the big reveal that the only explanation that would tie together "death" and "dreaming" would be that Ayu's in a coma. Didn't cry much since Makoto's path, but the second half of the final episode brought back the waterworks. ;.;

Just to confirm, did the real Ayu wake up at the end? So it was a happy conclusion?
Old 10-01-2010, 10:47 PM   #1312
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

'tis the start of the fall season! Not much has started today, but I watched the first episodes of Panty & Stocking with Garter belt and Sora no Otoshimono: Forte. First impressions follow!

When I started the first episode of Sora no Otoshimono: Forte, I was greeted by it's beyond excellent opening. The rest of the episode was alright. It seems they've introduced a new gag involving Sohara. I just hope they don't overuse it (It's funny, but I don't want to see it used too much.) This show can be really hit & miss. The attempts at comedy are so hyperactive that it can either be really funny or annoying. One plus about this series is that even if things get annoying, this title is excellent eye candy.

The first episode of Panty & Stocking wasn't bad at all. The OP sucked giant donkey balls, and it was too hyperactive at times, but other than that, no complaints. I saw alot of this as poking fun at American cartoons, and I'm able to laugh at a good joke directed at me. The over the top animation was really fun to watch. I also liked the main characters. I look forward to continuing this.

EDIT: A post was made while I was posting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbluecorsola View Post
Finished Kanon!

Thank goodness you didn't spoil the entire ending for me, Talon. ^^; You were right about the lull, but I kept holding out for some extra clever twist at the end... And was not disappointed. It hit me right before the big reveal that the only explanation that would tie together "death" and "dreaming" would be that Ayu's in a coma. Didn't cry much since Makoto's path, but the second half of the final episode brought back the waterworks. ;.;

Just to confirm, did the real Ayu wake up at the end? So it was a happy conclusion?
Yes, the Ayu that was wearing the suspenders and the cap was the real one.

Last edited by big bad birtha; 10-01-2010 at 10:53 PM.
Old 10-01-2010, 10:57 PM   #1313
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I saw P&S as well. Unlike BBB, I didn't like it. Mindless action with a deliberately sloppy artstyle, sort of like adult Powerpuff Girls. And when I say adult, I mean it - Panty is looser than her name sounds. Rance would hate her, both because she looks loli and because of what she says.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 10-01-2010, 10:58 PM   #1314
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Quote:
Originally Posted by big bad birtha View Post
Yes, the Ayu that was wearing the suspenders and the cap was the real one.
Ah, okay. That's good~

By the way, why does Ayu use masculine self-referencing? I didn't catch any specific reason for it. o.O;

Last edited by lilboocorsola; 10-01-2010 at 11:22 PM.
Old 10-01-2010, 11:13 PM   #1315
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

(Kanon spoiler)
Remember when Suigin (I think he was the one who said it?) said that the only girls who typically use boku are tomboys and children? Her usage of boku could be seen as a hint for her identity. She's been in a coma since she was a child, and she hasn't been able to learn how to speak more properly, so she talks the same way she did when she was 10.
Old 10-01-2010, 11:24 PM   #1316
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

I see now. Thank you. ^^
Old 10-02-2010, 02:49 PM   #1317
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Hahaha, I beat the Demon King Route!!! After what, TWO MONTHS of preparation?! It wasn't as impressive as I thought, because I was playing five star and my units were all way more powerful. But...

I couldn't kill Miki. Xavier had a 6000 unit troop, which I killed without trouble. But Miki is a single unit like Mouri, and has the trademark invulnerability of demons. She also does 9000 damage to a unit when she attacks (six action flags), but since I had 9999 in each unit, she'd rarely kill everything. Supposedly, assassination could do her in, but none of my assassins, even the all powerful Isoroku, could do any damage.

Not as impressive a challenge as I expected. Battle of Bunroku and Russo-Japanese War in FFA were much tougher, since I had less time to pump up my numbers.

There was some interesting developments -

Miki and Kentarou disappear suddenly when Rance is about to kill Kentarou and rape Miki. Rance then says to himself he'll "take over their world", which I guess implies that after the events foretold in Kichikuou Rance, Rance is gonna go adventure among the stars and in other dimensions. Interesting twist, to say the least.

I'm going to backup my saves the say goodbye to Rance for now. Amazing, fantastic game, it's monopolized nearly a year of my time now (I started playing last year), but it's time to move on to the stuff I've put off.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 10-02-2010, 11:46 PM   #1318
Talon87
時の彼方へ

So, I saw Episode 10 ...

Didn't cry. Wanted to, but I suppose I've cried enough through this episode over the years that all I can muster now is appreciation for how sad this story is. Yuri! You're the best!

Then I made my way onward to Episode 12 ...

I don't know if people will still be smoking in 2075, but if they are, I hope they're as awesome as Fee Carmichael.

And I also watched the classic episode 13, in which Tanabe meets Hachi's mother and little brother Kyuutaro.

Halfway through! And the best is yet to come!

EDIT: Just to clarify, I've not skipped one single minute of one single episode. Didn't mean to make it sound like I hopped over 11 by going from 10 to 12. I just didn't want to bother uploading pictures of all the other episodes.

Last edited by Talon87; 10-03-2010 at 12:01 AM.
Old 10-03-2010, 12:06 AM   #1319
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Hey Talon, this is a good time! Now that I've deleted Rance, my computer is running very smoothly, so I can catch up on Planetes and talk to you (can't tomorrow, wedding and work to do >_>).

I deleted all episodes I was done with, so I'm going to start on...

*checks*

I'm on Episode 9. Tooh!
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 10-03-2010, 12:37 AM   #1320
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

Today I checked out MM! To sum it up, MM! is basically Baka Test with different characters. The retardedly annoying hyperactivity, from Baka Test is here. The massively overused gags are here. Haah, it even has the same cute art that makes me forgive its annoying points. If this title actually calmed down and didn't repeat jokes so much, I bet MM! would be really good. This show has potential, so I'll keep an eye on it.
Old 10-03-2010, 12:56 AM   #1321
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Does it have BT's massive homolust? Because that was just as prominent as the hyper and grounded gags.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 10-03-2010, 01:05 AM   #1322
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

Yes it does! The main character starts off in love with a girl, and guess what, it was his best friend cross dressing!

EDIT: I forgot another similarity. The main character's family is EXTREMELY clingy to him. His mom and sister are always clinging on him, and I'm sure they're gonna make some incest jokes about it later on in the series.

Last edited by big bad birtha; 10-03-2010 at 01:29 AM.
Old 10-03-2010, 03:34 AM   #1323
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Too tired to do much more watching...gotta rest, big day tomorrow and this week.

Of note: UBW Movie subs are out. It's not Eclipse, it's another group, but they're out...ugh, sleeps...
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 10-03-2010, 11:09 AM   #1324
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Mcsweeney: I was reading back through the Kanon thread from 2007, and I came across this link in one of BBB's posts: Eternal Fighter Zero finisher moves compilation. I was intrigued by your comment -- "That special attack looks like one big Air spoiler!" -- and so I watched patiently, waiting for Misuzu's finisher to show up. Of course, it showed up very last -- but perhaps because it was the very best, in both the right and the wrong ways.

And so I wanted to say to you ...

"Goal. ^-^"

;____________________;

"I finally reached my goal."

"Goal" photo album
Old 10-03-2010, 05:45 PM   #1325
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I'm through the first 15 minutes of the UBW movie. FRIENDLY DISCLAIMER: you shouldn't treat the film as a substitute for playing the UBW path in the game. Judging from the first 15 minutes, I'm not going to enjoy this film as much as I would like to: the reason being, it is super fast-paced, cutting out a ridiculous amount of footage for the sake of being able to cram an 8+ hour path into a 2-hour film.

The film is remarkably pretty. However, its physics sometimes feels more animated than the physics of the television series. It's almost like the animation team for cinema cartoons are given too much money and, not knowing what else to do with it, they use it to make the characters' bodies jump to and fro like human beings made from liquid paint and not like the solid, meaty creatures we are. I don't know how else to explain it other than to say that the film looks best when it's not moving. Motion constantly reminds me of Pokémon: the First Movie while static scenes make me think, "The artwork from the Fate / Stay Night visual novel on steroids. This is gooooooood stuff. "

I can't easily show you the Pokémon: the Movie motion I wrote about since it'd require, well, motion. However, the pictures I've uploaded above do a good job of:
(1) showing just how pretty this film can get at times, and
(2) showing what I meant about the "in-game art on steroids". The last two are literally ripped right from the pages of the visual novel!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime