Silver LO

Send a message via Yahoo to Slash Send a message via Skype™ to Slash
Oh, gods, now I'm seeing it, too.
And agreeing.
Old 09-23-2013, 09:13 PM   #2502
KratosAurion
Soul Badge

Send a message via Skype™ to KratosAurion
So, to add up to Muyo's point, I present you, KratosAurion VS FallenIcarus. Testing out Hieratics VS Stardust Toolbox.

Spoiler: show

So, the field doesn't really hint at how the Duel went. Fallen Icarus got out a Turn 2 Shooting Star Dragon, and a Catastor in addition to the field at hand to swing at me with after I opened with Pot of Avarice and Cardcar D (Look at my LP). Topdecked a Dark Hole, popped Shooting Star, then started the loop. Destroyed Shooting Star with Nebthet, more Summons, Red Eyes, Atum, Gaia, Shark, and GG. Of course, FallenIcarus played his Deck very well. A Turn 2 STD is still a scary field to look at.

I'd like to know, however, why doesn't Hieratics see more use these days, given how relatively easy they are to pilot. Guess other Decks just outclass it?

---

Also, I'm really excited for Ghostrick Mary. I really wanna try out that Deck now.

// PASBL // Wild Future //
Old 09-23-2013, 09:23 PM   #2503
Talon87
時の彼方へ

The problem I foresee with Ghostrick Mary is making room for her. There are already so many good Ghostrick offerings that not all Ghostrick users will run the same creatures in the same proportions. Mary doesn't seem to offer anything that makes her a must-have for all Ghostrick decks; rather, she strikes me as the sort of card that most owners will want to find an excuse to run but will be hardpressed justifying putting more than one copy of into their already-crammed decks.

The Gravekeeper's beatstick doesn't have that same problem. Not only because he's pretty much the only non-XYZ beatstick for Gravekeeper's but because there are already a few Gravekeeper's cards that people run just to have something with the name "Gravekeeper's" in it to target. The shittiest of those can easily be rotated out in favor of one or two of this big beefy guy.

EDIT: Keep this in mind -- with their new beatstick playtoy, Gravekeeper's decks can now extend their shutdown properties to XYZs as well. They can start running some anti-XYZ spells or traps which won't hurt them any since they won't be needing XYZs anyway.
Old 09-23-2013, 09:50 PM   #2504
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

Eh, I have to disagree- Ghostrick Mary is really useful due to the fact that, while I suppose you could play her in a pinch, she's really more like a spell card, being discarded from the hand when the player takes direct damage (something which, unlike other decks, happens a lot with Ghostrick due to the effects of Ghostrick House) to summon your choice of monster for free. For a deck that's as lockdown-based as Ghostrick, the ability to summon the one monster you need for any situation, or to complete your combo, is huge.

Saniwa, on the other hand... While he looks good (not just good- REALLY good) on paper, you're pretty much always going to be doing the 1-monster sacrifice, he's useful... But unfortunately rather weak. Removing set monsters (the fact that it's only set monsters, rather than all set cards, is unfortunate) is only going to help against... Ghostrick, really. The attack gain isn't terrible, but generally you're going to be tributing at best Level 4 monsters, meaning a total ATK of 2400, which is... Good enough for 1 Tribute, I guess, though it's kinda painfully average. Now, that leaves the last effect- and that one? That's probably the best one. Docking 2000ATK AND DEF from EVERY ONE of your opponent's currently controlled monsters?! That's an amazing boon! Unfortunately, it means that Saniwa will be on the field with a meager 2000ATK, which is... Easily revenged.

Probably the biggest shame about Saniwa is that it's One OR Three monsters. Two isn't an option- If it was, this card would be godly; 2700/2800ATK, and a 2000ATK/DEF debuff to all enemy monsters currently on the field? Fantastic! But, as it stands, for three monsters... Well, you could summon one of the God Cards, which are vastly superior to this guy.

Actually, writing that has made me think that he would have potential in some kind of hybrid deck. Gravekeeper/Dark World seems like it could work out, since there are quite a few Dark World cards who's effects target themselves.

DID YOU HEAR THAT, BLAZE?

I'M MAKING A DARK WORLD DECK
People should watch what they enjoy regardless of what others think, even if it's a terribad guilty pleasure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
Though, I also dislike the concept of lamenting the current day while wishing to re-experience the past. At least, my modern attitude is to try and make each new day magical even if it's not, since exclusively reminiscing about the past is too pathetic.
Old 09-23-2013, 09:50 PM   #2505
Emi
Barghest Barghest Barghe-

Send a message via Skype™ to Emi
They don't have much need for a Gravekeeper's beater though. They have so many other cards, like Malefics, Dark Armed Dragon etc. The average Gravekeeper deck doesn't even benefit from Saniwa.

Malefic Stardust Dragon probably beats Saniwa in usefulness.

Mary allows Ghostricks to maintain much needed field advantage, and allows for incredibly quick Alucards.

EDIT: Plus, Kin is right. Gravekeeper's run on one to two monsters really, often one of the them being Master Key Beetle. It's a lock deck, not a beater deck like Dark World. They need XYZs so running anti XYZ support(which really isn't hampering them) isn't the best idea.

EDIT 2: I think you can only use the ATK boosting effect if you tribute one monster from the looks of the card. I don't think the other two work unless you tribute three.

EDIT 3: >Kin making Dark Necroworld deck

BEEN THERE. DONE THAT.

Last edited by Emi; 09-23-2013 at 10:09 PM.
Old 09-23-2013, 10:11 PM   #2506
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindrindra View Post
Eh, I have to disagree- Ghostrick Mary is really useful due to the fact that, while I suppose you could play her in a pinch, she's really more like a spell card, being discarded from the hand when the player takes direct damage (something which, unlike other decks, happens a lot with Ghostrick due to the effects of Ghostrick House) to summon your choice of monster for free. For a deck that's as lockdown-based as Ghostrick, the ability to summon the one monster you need for any situation, or to complete your combo, is huge.
I'm not saying she wouldn't be useful, and I'm sure many players will experiment with adding her to their decks. I'm just saying that I don't think she's something that most will want to add more than one copy of. They may want to initially, but I think they'll find that they'd rather have Lantern in hand (and take no damage) or Specter on the field (and bring back out someone for free after the first Specter chump blocks) than have Mary in hand, who to be any good at all necessitates the player to deal potentially hefty damage to them. Ghostricks, from what we've seen already, both want to take and are very good at taking as little damage as possible. Mary asks them to go against that grain, just for the sake of getting someone out of the deck and onto the field for free.

I expect Mary's worth will be fully proven if we see that she makes getting Alucard out 2x to 3x easier than before. That's pretty much what I see her being about. Not about fetching specific monsters from the deck, as you seem to think, but about getting any ol' monster out onto the field in a bid to prepare to XYZ in Alucard the following turn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazeVA View Post
They don't have much need for a Gravekeeper's beater though. They have so many other cards, like Malefics, Dark Armed Dragon etc. The average Gravekeeper deck doesn't even benefit from Saniwa.
True about Malefic, but still. I see this card pretty much fulfilling a role similar to Malefic for them only potentially better thanks to the options he affords them. (For example, consider how useful he can be against a StallBurn deck with lots of face-down annoyances. Very niche, ordinarily not worth putting in your main deck, but with Saniwa you no longer have to worry about such matters.)

Quote:
EDIT 2: I think you can only use the ATK boosting effect if you tribute one monster from the looks of the card. I don't think the other two work unless you tribute three.
You have your choice of any of the three, but the only way to get all three is if you sacrifice three Gravekeeper's monsters.
Old 09-24-2013, 07:09 AM   #2507
Emi

Kin, you forgot Necrovalley. +500 ATK.

And after building a deck and having a couple of duels, Saniwa's most important role is not one of a beater. Very, very rarely does one get the chance to do a 3 tribute summon, so he tends to end up somewhat weak. His built-in shrink effect, however, is what makes him a decent pick since other, similar tech cards, like Gale the Whirlwind, are limited at one. But at the same time, other cards like Gagaga Cowboy, Ancient Fairie Dragon(who is freaking golden in this deck, dayum), and Utopia exist, so Saniwa might not get much use. It's situational, but on the upper end.
Old 09-24-2013, 12:37 PM   #2508
KratosAurion
Soul Badge

Are these new cards already up on DN, or are you using another service?Might as well check it out, if you are.

Also, I'm retiring all of my Decks except my newly made Hieratics so I can make more. Expect some fun times to be had. This means no Constellar, Evilswarm, and Thunder Family, or at least a new version of the latter.

Old 09-24-2013, 12:42 PM   #2509
Emi

I use YGOPro to test decks out when I'm not on DN. All the new LotV cards are on there.
Old 09-24-2013, 01:51 PM   #2510
KratosAurion
Soul Badge

Quote:
I use YGOPro to test decks out when I'm not on DN. All the new LotV cards are on there.
Wanna drop by on DN and have a friendly Duel?

Old 09-24-2013, 02:57 PM   #2511
Emi

So Lightsworns got three new cards. Not from Legacy of the Valiant, but they apparently from a new duelist set.

I see two new tuners and a Synchro. OH GOD.
Old 09-24-2013, 03:12 PM   #2512
Talon87
時の彼方へ

What I see there doesn't persuade me that Lightsworn decks won't continue being hugely impotent, but of course with the mystery of the synchro's abilities still unanswered, it's hard to say for certain what the final outcome will be. Clearly Minerva will be the tuner of choice. (I guess Raiden's there for any cases where you have a non-Tuner Level 3 out.) Minerva plus Lyla, Minerva plus that one white tiger guy, Minerva plus half the Lightsworn deck, really, should get you your Level 7 Synchro.

I would laugh though if he had some broken-ass ability like "When this card is Synchro Summoned, remove from play all other Level 7 creatures on the field and in both players' graveyards. Abilities that activate when a card is removed from play do not activate this turn." Duh, obviously way too broken, but a hilarious answer to all of this Dragon Rulers bullshit.
Old 09-24-2013, 03:19 PM   #2513
Emi

Lightsworns as a deck I agree aren't the greatest(but goddamn if Judgment Dragon isn't terrifying), but Lightsworn engines are found everywhere, especially in zombies. I've heard(from Kratos) that Raiden is actually quite good for milling the deck. I'm not sure how these new cards could impact the ability of the deck(Minerva searching out Eclipse is a thought, and in some versions of the Chaos/Disaster dragon decks I would imagine she would be nice), and that Synchro could be on Judgement Dragon level of powerful.
Old 09-24-2013, 05:13 PM   #2514
KratosAurion
Soul Badge

So, got about 5 Decks that require Testing (Hieratics, Bujin, Thunder Family, Gem Knights and Madolche) if anyone is up, either now or later.

EDIT: Tried Dueling on Match, a la Talon to see if I could find any good Opponents on DN... It only took 2 Duels for me to stop, based on the average intelligence and rule knowledge of my Opponents. Searching with Susanowo was "Drawing", Xyz were "Illegal", and other assorted fun occurrences. Where does one go to find the people who actually know what they're doing? You know, the ones that actually give the good Duels Talon posts from time to time.

Last edited by KratosAurion; 09-24-2013 at 06:04 PM.
Old 09-24-2013, 06:35 PM   #2515
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

Those are at higher ranks- Your rank climbs as you complete duels.

Also known as the reason I haven't dipped into the pool yet. ;^_^
People should watch what they enjoy regardless of what others think, even if it's a terribad guilty pleasure.
Quote:
Though, I also dislike the concept of lamenting the current day while wishing to re-experience the past. At least, my modern attitude is to try and make each new day magical even if it's not, since exclusively reminiscing about the past is too pathetic.
Old 09-24-2013, 07:07 PM   #2516
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Until you have around 20 or so wins in Match or Singles (with a Match rating of about 300 or higher and a Singles rating of about 400 or higher), you'll be mostly facing off against young children and total newcomers to the card game. Once you get these first twenty or so battles out of the way, you'll start to see people of the next level. Once you get more battles out of the way, you'll start to see people of the next level above that one. Eventually you'll plateau out at a point where it feels like half of your opponents are at your skill level while the other half are beyond it. I haven't had a ridiculously easy win in Singles in a long time, for example. I still get them in Match battles but only because I haven't played that many Match games.
Old 09-24-2013, 07:17 PM   #2517
Emi

Yeah once your Experience goes up, so does the skill of people you fight.

I completely hate Hieratics. That deck does way too much for its own good.
Old 09-25-2013, 03:31 AM   #2518
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

So today blaze swarmed me with a field of the strongest monsters in existence.

I think I need counseling.

Also, almost ready to try out the pool! A lot of my new decks are simple enough to play that they should be able to function in duels well enough even without using XYZs or Synchros, so no one will have anything to complain about~
Quote:
Old 09-25-2013, 10:45 AM   #2519
Emi

Kin, that was nothing.

Doomkaiser Assualt is awesome. This is a LEGIT field.

He summoned Thrasher and Neo-Galaxy Eyes and swung...only for me to pop a Mirror Force. Then all his goodies were mine. >: D
Old 09-25-2013, 10:51 AM   #2520
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
Was that a rated game?
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 09-25-2013, 10:51 AM   #2521
Emi

Quote:
Was that a rated game?
Yep, it was. Why is that important?
Old 09-25-2013, 01:19 PM   #2522
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
You normally don't get fields like that against rated players, since they're playing for real and/or are intelligent enough to prevent it from happening. It basically increases how impressive your feat was.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 09-25-2013, 01:55 PM   #2523
Emi

Quote:
You normally don't get fields like that against rated players, since they're playing for real and/or are intelligent enough to prevent it from happening. It basically increases how impressive your feat was.
Doomkaiser Assualt pretty much always do that though, its just more difficult to bring him to the field.

This deck does pretty well against other decks. I went against a Gravekeeper's deck and ended up beating it(tru fax, I beat Kin's deck 4-3 with no side deck), ended up losing to Dark World but I very nearly won it. Finally went up against Fire Kings and completely turned it around thanks to Solemn Judgment.
Old 09-25-2013, 03:45 PM   #2524
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

Speaking of, Gravekeeper is much better better at swarming than I thought.

I mean, if I can get out Alchemic Magician, Saniwa doesn't seem too obscure. Of course, with Saniwa you have to actually draw him/her...
Quote:
Old 09-25-2013, 05:13 PM   #2525
MarbleZone
Soul Badge

Tried out X-Sabers for the first time, and it was a little underwhelming. Without Faultroll on the field, who's absolutely amazing, the deck felt way too slow... Not to mention Hyunlei died as soon as it was summoned in every single duel. Being forced to run more backrow hate to pull off a Synchro that kills backrow feels a little silly :P

Gadgets remain my main deck, and Photon is a blast to play with. If only there were other useful Rank 8s beside Hieratic Overlord... Neo Galaxy and Tachyon are doing nothing for me, and I never go for Gimmick Puppets when I can go for Overlord. For such huge ass beasts, they really could use some actual protection...
I'll give Mecha Phantom Beasts and Geargia a go next.

Haven't tried any of the Tier 1 Decks yet, I never do; I always feel like if I win with those, it's my obligation, whereas if I lose with a top tier deck then I'm even worse than I thought. :P the downside is that, since I have no experience with those decks, I might as well scoop when I'm up against them; not only are they out of my league, it'd take me hours to understand the combos, so I kinda just sit back and watch the plays. :P

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Entertainment