UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON

Old 06-24-2014, 03:29 PM   #2451
Heather
Naga's Voice

But it has everything to do with laddering, does it not? You all want to see me ladder before you even acknowledge me and I tell uou why I don't ladder, then you chsnge the subject. I know you all have been TRYING to be delicate, but its working about as well as me TRYING to be good in comp: terribly.

Basically what I'm saying os that if you can't give some advice as well ss you ladder suggests, then I suggest you leave this topic alone before something blows up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTheFishGuy View Post
Quoth the Honchkrow (nevermore!).
Fizzy Member Post: Catherine Park
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 03:42 PM   #2452
Fallen Icarus
Confident in the present

Send a message via AIM to Fallen Icarus Send a message via Skype™ to Fallen Icarus
Hey what's wrong with CB Accelgor? :p
Old 06-24-2014, 03:58 PM   #2453
Shuckle
Problematic Fave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myles Fowl II View Post
Basically what I'm saying os that if you can't give some advice as well ss you ladder suggests, then I suggest you leave this topic alone before something blows up.
Here's my advice: Listen to advice.
Old 06-24-2014, 04:04 PM   #2454
Heather
Naga's Voice

I see no advice here. Advice isnt saying "X sucks and yiure stupid for thinking X and even if it holds some degree of truth it doesn't mean anything because you don't win enough"

If that's not what you mean to be saying, you're miscommunicating quite severely.

Quote:
Old 06-24-2014, 04:15 PM   #2455
Shuckle
Problematic Fave

Quote:
Deo-D is one of the best hazard setters in the game. It reliably sets up hazards, Taunts other Pokemon so they can't, and uses its massive bulk to tank enemy attacks. That's how to correctly use Deo-D.
Old 06-24-2014, 04:17 PM   #2456
Heather
Naga's Voice

If you quoted the rest of that paragraph you'd see why I disregard it. What I just said above doesn't become any less bad if you throw in a quick "oh and y is better."

Quote:
Old 06-24-2014, 04:20 PM   #2457
Emi
Barghest Barghest Barghe-

Send a message via Skype™ to Emi
It's funny because the rest of the paragraph is true. I'm telling you my own personal experience, since you want to quote your own like its the gospel. I'm telling you what i've discovered by using it. I'm not saying its bad without having tried it, I wanted to try NP Deo-D ever since it was announced. You don't seem to get that. If you want to try it for yourself, go ahead. But you are being deliberately one-sided in your arguments and its pissing me off.
Old 06-24-2014, 04:24 PM   #2458
Shuckle
Problematic Fave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myles Fowl II View Post
If you quoted the rest of that paragraph you'd see why I disregard it. What I just said above doesn't become any less bad if you throw in a quick "oh and y is better."
Quote:
Here's my advice: Listen to advice.
Old 06-24-2014, 04:26 PM   #2459
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoopes View Post
This thread frustrates me sometimes.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 04:26 PM   #2460
Cloneblazer12
somewhat temporarily back

Send a message via Skype™ to Cloneblazer12
Jesus Christ this thread has blown up. I'm gonna say one thing about the ladder and one thing only: W/L and Ladder Decay mean jack shit. I have an alt on PS (TehBigBang - go look it up) that I haven't played on in months. When I stopped, I was at 1359 ELO with a 16/2 W/L. Right now, 4 months later, it's at 1359 ELO with a 16/2 W/L. Decay doesn't mean shit at the lower ladder (only happens at ~1500 IIRC).

Secondly, I have three active accounts that I play on a daily basis, rotating through them daily. They are: DisIsA_Name, LTI Clone, and DD Clone. The former two are in the 1600 ELO range and the latter is getting there. Look them up. Now that you've seen both, compare the W/L. One is 32-5. The other: 90something - 40something. In the case of the former, I simply laddered over the course of a few days with a team I made that was almost undefeated, proof by the W/L. The latter is my main account. I test all my teams on that account, and many of them aren't that great. The W/L isn't that great, yet the ELO is pretty good. Why? Because W/L isn't directly correlated to the ELO. I can go from 1450 to 1650 just by simply winning 10 matches in a row. It's why many of the accounts that are at the top of the ladder don't even have 2/1 W/L ratios.

Now, why bring this up you ask? It's because this is directed at everyone arguing about ladder rankings. Myles, your W/L can be shit, but you can still have a decent ELO rating if you win consistently, even if your account had a shit W/L to start.
Old 06-24-2014, 04:31 PM   #2461
Cloneblazer12
somewhat temporarily back

Send a message via Skype™ to Cloneblazer12
In regards to Deo-D: Blaze is right. The fast Hazard Spiker is hands down the best set for it. You should ONLY be SLIGHTLY variations from that set. Maybe instead of Seismic Toss yu want. T-Wave. Use T-Wave. Maybe yu want to beat Aeogislash. Use Mirror Coat and SpDef investment. Now, if you want a true attacking move, use Superpower. With minimal attack investment, it OHKOes Bisharp. That is the single handedly only reason to use a true attacking move on Deo D. No exceptions. Anything else is a gimmick. Sorry if it hurts your feelings, but it's true.
Old 06-24-2014, 04:36 PM   #2462
Emi

To be fair, the bulky set is probably just as good since even with no investment, 90 base speed is ridiculously fast for Taunt. My set is usually:

Deo-D @ Red Card
252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Bolt Nature
-Stealth Rock
-Spikes
-Magic Coat
-Seismic Toss

Magic Coat I've found works better than Taunt as people tend to bring out anti-leads that use it.
Old 06-24-2014, 04:37 PM   #2463
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloneblazer12 View Post
Jesus Christ this thread has blown up. I'm gonna say one thing about the ladder and one thing only: W/L and Ladder Decay mean jack shit. I have an alt on PS (TehBigBang - go look it up) that I haven't played on in months. When I stopped, I was at 1359 ELO with a 16/2 W/L. Right now, 4 months later, it's at 1359 ELO with a 16/2 W/L. Decay doesn't mean shit at the lower ladder (only happens at ~1500 IIRC).

Secondly, I have three active accounts that I play on a daily basis, rotating through them daily. They are: DisIsA_Name, LTI Clone, and DD Clone. The former two are in the 1600 ELO range and the latter is getting there. Look them up. Now that you've seen both, compare the W/L. One is 32-5. The other: 90something - 40something. In the case of the former, I simply laddered over the course of a few days with a team I made that was almost undefeated, proof by the W/L. The latter is my main account. I test all my teams on that account, and many of them aren't that great. The W/L isn't that great, yet the ELO is pretty good. Why? Because W/L isn't directly correlated to the ELO. I can go from 1450 to 1650 just by simply winning 10 matches in a row. It's why many of the accounts that are at the top of the ladder don't even have 2/1 W/L ratios.

Now, why bring this up you ask? It's because this is directed at everyone arguing about ladder rankings. Myles, your W/L can be shit, but you can still have a decent ELO rating if you win consistently, even if your account had a shit W/L to start.
When I've brought up the W:L ratio, I haven't been focused on the ratio itself, i.e. the fraction. I've been using it as a simple means to reference the general tally of wins and losses. Look, I don't need you to tell me that 32:5 is less impressive than 190:140. The only reason I brought up the W:L for Myles to look at is because it is the simplest score for him to understand. People understand total wins and losses. People don't necessarily understand a Glicko or a GXE. And the only reason I've referred to it as "the W:L ratio" over and over is because that is what it is and it is a lot shorter than saying "the total wins, losses, and tallies" over and over or trying to popularize some made-up technical term or acronym like "the twoss score" or "the WLT".

Yes, you're right that a W:L can be shit but the Elo good. But that's a reason why not to trust the Elo too much, not the other way around. As for the other way around, the only concern there is that ladder decay can cause a skilled player's Elo to be artificially low. His W:L may be 190:33 but his Elo might only be 1200 if he hasn't played a single game in ages. That's not terribly important here though as we're not concerned with Elo-W:L mismatch -- I just wanted to show him that his W:L ratio:
  1. does not decay over time, so he needs to quit bringing up ladder decay as a shield for his poor scores
  2. is much worse than most other people's in this thread
If I try to show him this with any score which decays, he'll just blame it on ladder decay. So I've pointed him to the simplest, easiest-to-understand number that has no decay involved: the simple tally of total wins and losses.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 05:01 PM   #2464
Heather
Naga's Voice

I think I need to go make a clone of this thread and let this one become your damn Victory Road at this point. I've literally come to just telling you to to at least not regard it as stupid, and you have failed in that regard.

Quote:
Old 06-24-2014, 05:08 PM   #2465
Emi

Quote:
I still remember the conversation that started this thread. XD
Old 06-24-2014, 05:38 PM   #2466
Red Panda
head head bitch

Quote:
Red Panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 05:49 PM   #2467
DaisyInari
Sarasaland represent!

Send a message via MSN to DaisyInari
Altaria *shies away from the comp talk*

Gotta love Contrary Serperior!

I took a risk at the end, and it paid off! Don't look at my ladder score though- I'm in a slump right now xd;

Hi, I'm Daisy!

Spoiler: show
W(DQ)- 22(3) L(DQ)-14(0)
KO-55
TP-131 SP- 64.5/96.5 (5SP to Deh, 5SP to FW, 5SP to Desert Spirit, 8.5SP to Fallen Icarus, 10SP to Kyro12, 8SP to Charminions, 10 to aposteriori)
SHUCKS I GOTTA FIX THIS SOMETIME
~TL3~

~Fizzy Bubbles~

Credits to Charm for making this!

Come, my birdies!!!! Mwahahahaha!!!!!!

Thanks Pingu for being so nice and making me this~

Credit to TheKnightsFury for the sprite!

Fear my abnormally large signature~

Be Positive Ref~ I <3 you, Lonely Cubone and those who eval'd me~
DaisyInari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 05:59 PM   #2468
Heather
Naga's Voice

Luckily for this thread hearing Serperior's name not associated eith sucking has greatly helped my mood.

Edit: Aaaaaaaaaaaaand Blaze decides to try to spoil it.

Ok I know you're probably joking but lets lay off those touchy subjects

Quote:

Last edited by Heather; 06-24-2014 at 06:05 PM.
Old 06-24-2014, 06:04 PM   #2469
Emi

Serperior sucks!

...actually with NU still being in Alpha I really can't see if it won't make something of itself. It was really mediocre last gen but this is a new generation after all.
Old 06-24-2014, 06:08 PM   #2470
rotomotorz
Think ye can take me?

Serperior will always be bad
{======|_|""T""|_|""r""|_|""a""|_|""i""|_|""n""|
/o--000'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'
Squad Summary

rotomotorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 06:09 PM   #2471
Emi

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotomotorz View Post
Serperior will always be bad
It's SubSeed set in NU was actually pretty decent. Then the RU drops happened and lolnope.
Old 06-24-2014, 06:14 PM   #2472
Heather
Naga's Voice

If you play your cards right you might be able to stick in Dragon Tail to throw counters away or use Giga Drain for extra heals. If you're already using Giga Drain, try Leaf Blade to hit pokemon with weak defense stats.

Or be generic and use SubSeed.

Edit: before something blows up again, I've had a lot of fun using these options I just proposed other than SubSeed with my WhiteClone team. Theyre not perfect, but it is fun annoying people by keeping their Heatran off the field.

Quote:

Last edited by Heather; 06-24-2014 at 06:22 PM.
Old 06-24-2014, 06:21 PM   #2473
Emi

I see where you are coming from, but I don't see the value in a mixed set. It's offensive stats aren't that good, even in NU, and the stuff you'd want to hit on a weaker defensive stat i.e. Munsharna are still really bulky on that end as well so it doesn't end up making a difference.

Not to say offensive sets can't work. It does have access to two great boosting moves and has a very nice speed to back it up. Thanks to the lack of good special walls in NU, Calm Mind is also (sorta) viable.
Old 06-24-2014, 06:25 PM   #2474
Heather
Naga's Voice

I've got to be going soon (evening program, dance party tonight yeah) so ill be back later. I've played with friends running mixed Serperior, and they can play their cards well enough to make me want an Emboar. ;/

Quote:
Old 06-24-2014, 06:25 PM   #2475
Emi

http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads...s-2-0.3484121/

Okay so I thought I remembered Serperior being highish but I did not remember Mid A.

Looks like his SubSeed set really is that good.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON