UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > Independent Forums > Fizzy Bubbles > FB Time Out
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 05:04 AM   #26
Skrusti
Boulder Badge

Re: The Secret Time Out Files Part 3

oO I haven't gotten any IMs since I got home.

D: Nobody likes me

*ponders who to use in CG adventure* Choices...choices...
Old 02-23-2008, 05:20 AM   #27
thed3
Pokemon Trainer

Are we being naughty or something?

Cuz this is the third time in a row we're being sent to Time Out... %;

Go-On Yellow!
*farts*
The Eh No Make Li'Dat Crew
Old 02-23-2008, 07:15 AM   #28
SulcataIxlude
Cascade Badge

Send a message via AIM to SulcataIxlude Send a message via MSN to SulcataIxlude Send a message via Yahoo to SulcataIxlude

http://youtube.com/watch?v=g08JvFDWq4Q
http://youtube.com/watch?v=4DCsBLg0V8E
Old 02-23-2008, 07:32 AM   #29
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Good luck with that, Horikoi. We had a young man of about 26 years of age named "John" (for sake of anonymity) who had a chain-mail and gauntlet-like tattaoo all over his arms and upper body and the Japanese senseis were always uneasy around him. Even though they know he's a white goofy American and not a Japanese member of the yakuza. And the other thing was, eeeeeeeeevery time the word "yakuza" got brought up when I was in the same class as John, the sensei (no matter who it was) would always make a point of (re-)informing the group that John would never, ever be able to go to Japan because of "what he's done" to his arms unless he were to somehow ensure that they were completely covered up by non-seethrough clothing.

The other point which the senseis made (and which makes me think that Horikoi is living in a fantasy world) is that if a young teenage punk decides he wants to "look cool" and go get a full-body tattoo, he's a dead man the moment the yakuza find out. Because more or less the yakuza have "laid claim" to horimono or irezumi in Japan; and so as a consequence of that claim, they will beat up or possibly kill any punk who they catch with a full-body tattoo because:
a) he gives people the false impression that he's part of the yakuza and then, being the dumb teenage punk that he is, he does stupid things or says stupid things that give the local yakuza a bad name
b) he gives people the false impression that he's part of the yakuza and then reaps the benefits that come with it (e.g. people giving you space on the train or in the hot springs) without any of the pain (e.g. criminal activities, cutting off a finger, etc.).

I had several senseis of various age groups (20s, 30s, 50s) and various regions of Japan (Tokyo in the east, Nagoya in the west) say the same thing, so ... like I said: I'm convinced that Horikoi is living in a dream world and that his hope for public acceptance of horimono and the yakuza permitting commoners to enjoy horimono is not going to happen.
Old 02-23-2008, 08:07 AM   #30
SulcataIxlude
Cascade Badge

Send a message via AIM to SulcataIxlude Send a message via MSN to SulcataIxlude Send a message via Yahoo to SulcataIxlude

http://youtube.com/watch?v=oi01gY8DLiA

These guys are from someplace in Nusa Tenggara Timur (the islands east of Bali, for example flores, sumbawa, etc.) In the past these guys used real spears, and the blood shed from the ritual used to appease spirits. Nowadays the Indonesian government says they can't use actual spears, but folks still get hurt, and in a few cases die during this ceremony.

*SI still thinks Indonesia is the most bad ass nation ever.* ;)
Old 02-23-2008, 08:19 AM   #31
Tyranidos
beebooboobopbooboobop

Send a message via AIM to Tyranidos Send a message via MSN to Tyranidos

Woo. New TO. Didn't realize this. I wanted to be on the first page
Old 02-23-2008, 08:24 AM   #32
Talon87
時の彼方へ

That's what happens with the Brits and Aussies outnumber the Yanks -- they give us the shaft while we're sleeping.

Oh well. Outside of FB, I think they get the shaft every other time at our expense , so I can live with that. Enjoy your first-page posts while I enjoy SSBB. :P

Zora: I don't like you. -.-
Old 02-23-2008, 09:24 AM   #33
S_M
Volcano Badge

Send a message via AIM to S_M

Does anyone have a Dragon Ball? :P I want one.

Yay for second page post?
156 KOs - 376 TP - 10.75 SP
Old 02-23-2008, 10:39 AM   #34
ZoraJolteon
BBCode Master

I had one, but I lent it to Spike. He said he needed it for a movie or something.

Superior Christmas Banner is Superior.
Also still looking for ref with brain, although not just now due to Tyranidos running in fear.
Old 02-23-2008, 10:44 AM   #35
Betagold
Pokemon Trainer

Good... whatever time it is where you live, everybody. How is everyone?
Old 02-23-2008, 01:26 PM   #36
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

Humans should start developing a universal astronomical unit of time that has no relation to the Earth-Sun/Moon connection, as once we start traveling the vastness of space, we will no longer be capable of using such units as an accurate description of time.
Old 02-23-2008, 01:35 PM   #37
Arnold
Just call me sir

Yes

Old 02-23-2008, 02:15 PM   #38
Another Fan
Boulder Badge

Man, TO went fast with new person here. Anyway, congrats Skrusti. That's great.

Hello again, Demoonica. If it makes you feel better, I wasn't able to tell who you were. And still don't know.

Also, Talon, you mentioned a nickname of mine as an example of giving pokemon mundane human sounding names, and you know, that's not exactly what happened.

I give pokemon names based on puns or references to stuff. My pokemon are named after stuff really,

Archer(fish), also a real name
Batteries, unisex-sounding object that both references the pokemon and sort of rolls off the tongue.
Bo(w), also a real name
(Wobbe)lina, named after the only word I knew for a certain type of toy, Lina being a real nickname.

The other two pokemon were sort of odd examples really. Wallace, the mundane human name, came from Trick. I wanted to name him, Olly. As in, Olly olly oxenfree. Just a silly silly name. But, Trick, rather bluntly said he thought that was stupid. Since, the spinda was originally Trick's (by the name of Misfit), I wanted us to be in agreement about the name. I saw that Wallace means "lost", which made sense given the pokemon, and I could still make the pun with "Wally Wally Oxenfree". It wasn't like, designed to be mundane. Eventually, I decided just to have a mundane first name and a funny last name, being "Wallace Q. Oxenfree", which I know you think is dumb. Eh, still, you can't blame me for not trying to be creative, right?

Oh, and emotone sucks. Heh. Nah. Well, it does, but I didn't name it. Emotone was a joke by, I dunno, Stu or Gary or Joe or something. Aeris was what Skrusti named it, originally.

I like to think I'm creative with the nicknames I give.

Edit: Also, hey, Demoonica, it'd be easier to talk a bit or maybe join us in an FB convo if you have MSN. Do you? If not, it is cool, but it would be convenient.

Fizzy Bubbles Information[/center:ac83b]
Old 02-23-2008, 03:06 PM   #39
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Wallace Q. Oxenfree is ... a character name that reminds me of the names that me and every other kid I knew who was trying to write stories when we were 12 years old came up with.

Waldo P. Flapjacks.
Ebeneezer K. Periwinkle.
Wallace Q. Oxenfree
Booker T. Washington
Augustus R. Vulnificus
Abraham G. Moneybags

Only one of those is a real name. And I think even it stands out as "a sore thumb of reality" amidst a sea of ludicrous-sounding names.

If you want a ludicrous-sounding name, you've succeeded. If you want people to respect the name, that's an unreasonable request in my opinion. And in at least one person's opinion, if you were trying to go for a name that a Pokemon might actually have ...

Then again, your Pokemon act like people (or at least Wallace does), so I guess it doesn't matter one way or the other.
Old 02-23-2008, 03:29 PM   #40
Another Fan
Boulder Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xuande
Wallace Q. Oxenfree is ... a character name that reminds me of the names that me and every other kid I knew who was trying to write stories when we were 12 years old came up with.

Waldo P. Flapjacks.
Ebeneezer K. Periwinkle.
Wallace Q. Oxenfree
Booker T. Washington
Augustus R. Vulnificus
Abraham G. Moneybags

Only one of those is a real name. And I think even it stands out as "a sore thumb of reality" amidst a sea of ludicrous-sounding names.

If you want a ludicrous-sounding name, you've succeeded. If you want people to respect the name, that's an unreasonable request in my opinion. And in at least one person's opinion, if you were trying to go for a name that a Pokemon might actually have ...

Then again, your Pokemon act like people (or at least Wallace does), so I guess it doesn't matter one way or the other.
Glad we see eye to eye. That's pretty much what I was going for. Wallace's name isn't his real name. It is the one he got from my character, who was delirious at the time.

Yeah, ended up with three human pokemon. Didn't mean to, and they are designed to be oddballs, my more animal like pokemon are the norm for me. Really.

Names aren't really things I see to be respected. I mean, what's in a name? My name is Peter Olegovich Burnyshev, soon to be Peter Burnyshev Matre. Just some fun weird sounding words. Eh.

The real name is Booker T. Washington, right?

Fizzy Bubbles Information[/center:ac83b]
Old 02-23-2008, 03:31 PM   #41
enchantress
Queen of the Night

One of my kittens just hiccuped. I'm sitting here typing away and heard what I thought was a sneeze. I'm like, "Aww, that's sooo cuuuuute!" and looked over at him and the next second he releases this, "Hiiiiiic!" sound, so loud that even Arn heard it (talking on the phone), and we're both cacking ourselves. Funny shit.

Anyway... yeah... *wanders off to do stuff*
Old 02-23-2008, 03:58 PM   #42
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

The only pet I've ever had were fish. Boring, stupid fish. "Oh wow! Look at that fish swim. And eat. And poo. Wow, let's see it do that again!"

Fish make awful pets. They're more living decorations than pets.
Old 02-23-2008, 04:08 PM   #43
enchantress
Queen of the Night

Oh well, if you're getting a little peckish you can always fry one up with a few chips...
Old 02-23-2008, 05:20 PM   #44
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki
Fish make awful pets. They're more living decorations than pets.
Truer words were never spoken.
Old 02-23-2008, 06:02 PM   #45
Rabid Squirrel
Better than Tyranidos

lol Loki, you had added the description for Ice Beam two posts up. Whoever told you that you skipped it must not have used Ctrl + F.

Lv.100 ~ Lv.7 ~ Lv.30 ~ Lv.100 ~ Lv.19 ~ Lv.30 ~ Lv.29
Saruki Doushi Hakusa Vincent Lotus Kumori Boribori

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Bibuki Deidoki Himawari Kakatsu Isuta Isai
Lv.53 ~ Lv.30 ~ Lv.11 ~ Lv.36 ~ Lv.4 ~ Lv.2
Old 02-23-2008, 06:15 PM   #46
enchantress
Queen of the Night

Oops. I told him that, and I did CTRL + F. Probably didn't turn up because I typed in "Ice Beam" and not "IceBeam" *shrugs* Doesn't matter, at least it's there :p
Old 02-23-2008, 06:22 PM   #47
Demoonica
Pokemon Trainer

My computer freezes with IM's of any kind, so forums are as fast as I get.

Being a country girl, I have the space to house a petting zoo, I have owned at one time, 59 rabbits (51 babies and 8 adults, only one being a show rabbit (he was a retired prize winning New Zealand Red), 14 cats, 1 dog, and around 30 'prize' goldfish. (it was either I take them or my male friends were going to have a live goldfish eating contest to see who would do the most.... teenage boys can be so stupid...) Also 4-5 male betas, but only one at a time. And at one time a fawn for a few days.

I feel lonely right now, all I have is inside 2 cats, and 2-5 outside cats depending on who's at my house and who is over the hill bothering the couple that lives there.
Lv.22 - Lv.4 - Lv.9 - Lv.1 - Lv.1[/center:1zld1yr2]
Old 02-23-2008, 06:26 PM   #48
Sneasel12
Boulder Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoonica
My computer freezes with IM's of any kind, so forums are as fast as I get.

Being a country girl, I have the space to house a petting zoo, I have owned at one time, 59 rabbits (51 babies and 8 adults, only one being a show rabbit (he was a retired prize winning New Zealand Red), 14 cats, 1 dog, and around 30 'prize' goldfish. (it was either I take them or my male friends were going to have a live goldfish eating contest to see who would do the most.... teenage boys can be so stupid...) Also 4-5 male betas, but only one at a time. And at one time a fawn for a few days.

I feel lonely right now, all I have is inside 2 cats, and 2-5 outside cats depending on who's at my house and who is over the hill bothering the couple that lives there.
I have 5 adult cats and 13 kittens running around my house right now, it's CHAOS.
Old 02-23-2008, 06:29 PM   #49
Demoonica
Pokemon Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneasel12
I have 5 adult cats and 13 kittens running around my house right now, it's CHAOS.
I'd love being at your house, I'm a cat person, I get along with cats that are known to constantly attack people, even their owners.
Lv.22 - Lv.4 - Lv.9 - Lv.1 - Lv.1[/center:1zld1yr2]
Old 02-23-2008, 06:34 PM   #50
Sneasel12
Boulder Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoonica
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneasel12
I'd love being at your house, I'm a cat person, I get along with cats that are known to constantly attack people, even their owners.
The only bad part is that the adults don't really get along too well. The kittens are great. One of them has actually been sleeping on top of my computer for warmth for the past half an hour. I have no idea where the other 12 are. Chances are the adults are roaming the woods out back, and will be until an hour from now when they get fed. At that point, I'll be lucky if I don't need about twenty band-aids for all the cuts I'll get when they attack me so that they can be first to the food. But they're good cats, just not when they're hungry.
Closed Thread

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > Independent Forums > Fizzy Bubbles > FB Time Out