UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Video Games

Old 12-21-2013, 02:03 PM   #151
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneezey12 View Post
Beat 100%: Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds
The words "This was the most disappointing Zelda game I have ever played" would about sum this up best. It had so much potential, for a lot of the reasons birtha already gave. But frankly, it is not even remotely a challenge to get everything in the game done. It just THROWS things at you in the most obvious fashion possible. And even if you don't have any freaking clue how to play Zelda, you get the Hint Glasses early as all hell in the game (which I never had to touch, but still), and there is literally a Hint Ghost for everything. It's like they just didn't even try to make things difficult.
I would expect nothing less from the studio that's given us White Tanooki Mario / White Raccoon Mario. Three games in three years they've done it. (Super Mario Land 3D in 2011, NSMB 2 in 2012, and Super Mario 3D World this year.) Given how Easy Mode Pokémon XY turned out to be, I'm not the least bit surprised to hear that the same thing befell Zelda. Perhaps it's a good thing that they're letting Metroid's fields lay fallow for a while? Don't even want to imagine a Metroid game made during the Year of Luigi.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 05:18 PM   #152
SoS
Ducks gonna duck

Beat: Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons.

Holy. Shit. THIS GAME. I kid you not, this game could be the last twenty minutes alone, nothing else and still be my GOTY. It is a wonderful experience from start to finish, and deserves to be played through in one sitting (it's like 2 1/2 hours) and thoroughly digested afterwards.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Son_of_Shadows View Post
Because I look damn good in a dress.
Fizzy Bubbles Team
PASBL
Wild Future
SoS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 08:00 PM   #153
DaveTheFishGuy
Primordial Fishbeast

Send a message via Skype™ to DaveTheFishGuy
Beat: Mario & Luigi: Dream Team Bros. - 39hrs

Dave posting in this thread what

Excellent game in one of my favourite series. Not as good as Bowser's Inside Story but definitely great. Still has the right balance of drama and comedy, though the last boss was a complete bitch.
DaveTheFishGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 10:46 PM   #154
Red Panda
head head bitch

Never been here before.

Just got my last Star Coin in New Super Mario Bros. U. Was a pretty fun game, but frustrating when playing with other people. Not all too different from New Super Mario Bros. but whatever, the game is still fun.

Today I got Super Luigi U, which IMO is a much better version than its Mario counterpart. Shorter levels, less time, and Nabbit (who is extremely cheap). Not sure if I'll be as excited to play since I know everything that happens in the game (for the most part) but it's still something to pass time with.

I also got A Link Between Worlds, though the reviews you guys gave it scare me.

And Super Mario 3D World. I'm a huge fan of the character diversity, and the Cat Mario power up, but the fact that all the lives are connected is bad. And the whole depth thing is a bitch. I've lost 4 or 5 lives from missing a platform like that.

Last edited by Red Panda; 12-26-2013 at 12:29 AM.
Red Panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 11:17 PM   #155
Amras.MG
Not sure if gone...

So you got Super Mario 3D World.

Also, I wouldn't worry about UPN's reviews of Link Between Worlds: it seems like they just didn't like that it wasn't as hard as A Link to the Past. Game difficulty is incredibly subjective.
Amras.MG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 11:37 PM   #156
phoopes
Double Dragon

>Sneezey

I'm finding a Link Between Worlds fairly challenging ;;
Old 12-25-2013, 11:45 PM   #157
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

I specifically said A Link Between Worlds was good. It's just that it could have easily been great if they spent more time on it. That's why I was a bit disappointed in it. It's still an enjoyable game.

The difficulty didn't bother me. I spent most of the game with 3 hearts left, even though that's because I mindlessly rush through dungeons until I get low on health, then I start being careful.
big bad birtha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 07:22 AM   #158
OkikuMew
Droppin' CDs and beats

While I'm around...

Beat: Phoenix Wright Dual Destinies' DLC Turnabout Reclaimed:

I finished it a good while ago, but better late than never XP I found it pretty enjoyable and worth the 6$ bucks for it (Well, considering the game being worth 30$ and having 5 chapters...) Lots of jokes around, and a pretty high concentration of references from past games for a fan of the series to enjoy. The awesome anime cutscenes is a nice touch too

Get:

Pokemon X:
It's about time I get this XP So far lovin it ^^

Zelda: Link Between Worlds:
Haven't played it yet, buy I'll eventually see what I think about it I'm slightly nervous as I didn't quite enjoy the previous non-remake Zelda games on DS/3DS (mostly cuz of the touch screen control) but took a chance on this one since it looks like a game that want to go back to its roots.

Mario & Luigi: Dream Team:
I love that sub-series of the Mario games, but I admit shamefully that I only completed the first one, for some reason ^^; Hopefully I'll complete that one!

Pokemon Mystery Dungeon - Gates to Infinity:
I've tried the demo before, and fell in love again on how you're actually a Pokemon But now, after less than a minute playing the actual game, I realized they removed the option of being a girl/female Pokemon (edit: which I swear they had it on the demo), therefore I'm stuck being referenced as a 'he' the whole game even though the game supposed to let you "be the human in a Pokemon's body". And I also discovered after searching that the Japanese version has the option in the full game, while other regions does not. Great job breaking the feeling of immersion because of laziness and/or shitty thinking, Nintendo.

Art || FB || WF || Tumblr

Last edited by OkikuMew; 12-26-2013 at 09:43 AM.
OkikuMew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 03:26 PM   #159
Red Panda
head head bitch

I also picked up Pokemon Mystery Dungeon- Gates to Infinity since I've played Red Rescue Team and Explorers of Darkness, so I felt the need to buy it. Kind of sad that there are so few choices, but at least I can use Snivy.
Red Panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 04:15 PM   #160
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

Beat

The Legend of Zelda Oracle of Seasons/Ages
I beat both of them. I originally only beat Ages, so I didn't get the full experience. For older games, they were enjoyable. Seasons was a more satisfying game, but Ages wasn't bad either, especially since it seemed more plot focused than Seasons. Well also Nayru/Mako tree from ages > Din/Mako tree from seasons. Seasons was more difficult, even having rooms that give instant death if you don't escape fast enough. My only beef with these games is something that can be said about all older Zelda games, and that's the tedious item changing. I know it's inevitable, but I couldn't help but get annoyed by it. After looking, it's a shame they couldn't make the third game, or one that combines these two. That'd actually kick ass.

Also any word on Bravely Default? I see some people loving on it, and I thought I MIGHT check it out. The only thing stopping me is that big "SQUARE ENIX" on the box. Like Capcom, it's difficult to trust them nowadays.
Old 01-14-2014, 11:41 AM   #161
Selena
Aroma Lady

Playing Bravely Default right now and I like it. However it does slow down in the middle, and only picks up again in the end. Also if you like a hard game this might not be a game for you, at least early and mid game. I hardly play RPG's (outside of pokemon), but I had no difficulty starting this on hard mode save for some cheap haxy total party kills, which you really couldn't do anything about.

B- grade ref.
Quote:
Originally Posted by empoleon dynamite View Post
Shouldn’t the Hoff be doing something if he’s still around? I have strict rules about leaving the pool, and I’m sure vanishing the pool out of existence breaks those rules in some way :P
Selena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 05:14 AM   #162
Rangeet
Foot, meet mouth.

Send a message via MSN to Rangeet Send a message via Skype™ to Rangeet
GET: Metal Gear Rising Revengeance

Initial thoughts: My God, this has to be one of the worst games I've played. Ever.

Edit: Okay so, after the initial shock of how hilariously it manages to fuck up telling you its mechanics(A "Parrying is your greatest tool" loading tip would be good enough, god dammit) it's...not that bad. It's not too awesome so far, though.

Last edited by Rangeet; 01-15-2014 at 06:03 AM.
Rangeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 05:08 PM   #163
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

Rebeat:

The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
It has been the N64 days since I've played and beat this, so I decided to pick this back up and play it. Though admittedly I haven't beaten the final boss. I decided to go ahead and just watch the final scene on youtube, since I did a bunch of shit on the time period I intended on finishing it with all the masks, and the game decided to freeze (fuck doing all that shit again!). Besides being insanely tedious at times, it was a fun game, and had some really nice side stories. I spent alot of time trying to dig around for reactions or backstory for things, which is rare for me to even give a shit. I did this most for the Kafei & Anju sidequest. For negatives...I hated the save system. The game had a habit of freezing every now and then (well it actually only froze twice), which wipe any progress I did on that timeline. Both times it froze, I did alot on those timelines. First time it froze I did everything again, second time I decided "fuck this shit". Also I'm not crazy with the recycled character models. That was pretty lazy, to be honest.

I think I might replay Ocarina of Time Masterquest next. That is unless I can find something else to do. I WAS playing Dark Souls, but my PS3 decided to go shitty on me!
Old 01-15-2014, 06:19 PM   #164
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

Been Playing:

Sleeping Dogs - It was free for XBL Gold members this month so I tried it out. It has some good and bad things for what is essentially a GTA clone with elements of Max Payne and Batman.

Good:
-Driving is amazing. Which is weird to say, but GTA actual had some weird things about car handling. Sleeping Dogs doesn't have this as much especially at normal driving speeds. At higher driving speeds where you're expected to have handling issues, it does, which is fine. Motorcycles are especially well done.
-Spoken Cantonese is awesome. The English subtitles are pretty much perfect. As I've listened to Cantonese all my life, I can stamp my seal of approval that thus far, none of the words spoken are wrong. Some have been localized (i.e. the Cantonese term for jerk is directly translated as "Fall on the street," as in "I hope that jerk trips/falls down"). Some words are changed to FUCK when there are probably less profane translations, but it matches enough in how it's used that it's perfectly fine by my standards. It's certainly not as bad as this.
-Story is well written, as are characters. It honestly feels like whoever made this game watched the movie Infernal Affairs (American version being The Departed) a thousand times and turned it into a game. It really does well in portraying a deep cover agent rising in the criminal underworld.

Bad:
-Combat is stolen from Batman Arkham Asylum/City/Origins game, but is considerably less fluid. The game also has a huge focus on using melee combat over guns due to accurate portray of Hong Kong's strict gun laws (inherited from UK gun laws), so it can get annoying. It feels much choppier than Batman's combat, especially when it comes to breaking a combo with a counter (due to the nine guys fighting you all the time). Batman can flawlessly do combo attacks into counter back into combos and such with little complication. When Shen does a combo and gets attacked by someone else, there's a 50% chance the counter works properly or you get hit, breaking your combo either way. And worse off is if you do get hit while hitting the counter button, you then follow up the recovery by going into the counter stance for a full second and being unable to do any other actions until someone foolishly attacks you or you wait it out until you can attack again. This can be a huge break in the pace of the fight and really hurts at times.
-Chains and chains and chains of gang attacks are fucking annoying. "Hey Shen! Let's go on a mission to steal stuff!" Okay! Then you get there and fight the five guards. Then after you beat like three of them, 5 more show up. Then two more show up. Compound this with the last complaint, this is fucking insane. You're always fighting an uphill battle and you're almost always alone. It ends up being quite repetitive when all you do is punch, kick, and grapple against 9 assholes each mission.
-Poor friend/girlfriend system which feels incomplete. Like GTA, you have friends, you have girlfriends, and you have a cellphone to call people. Unfortunately you can't use it for that... Every time you do certain quests in the game, you'll meet a girl and then get one date with them. Then you may or may not get lucky with them. Then you never see them again.... This is really silly despite the excuse they kind of threw in that the MC feels like his life is too unstable for a relationship. The problem is that later on, you get a quest where one of the girls you boned is cheating on you and you basically call her out on it, in which she calls out on your dating another girl. Well, this whole thing would have made more sense if that date wasn't me showing her how to hack a camera followed by never finding our what her actual name is... There's also another girl who during your date states that some 'cute guy' bought her the dress she's wearing and heavily implying it was you. This never happened while I was in control, so what the fuck did that mean. It really felt like the game was supposed to have more of a dating system but they dropped it for whatever reason.
-What the hell am I going to do with all this money? Seriously, this game gives you stacks and stacks of cash, but you hardly ever get a chance to use it. Even when I do find stores with really nice costumes or fancy cars, I can't buy them until I get enough FACE points. Face points is basically your prestige. You gain it from going on a few dates and some side quests. Since when do stores care if I'm popular enough for these buying clothes. If I have the money, unless I'm covered in stink and hobo, they'll let me buy their stuff. Maybe HK doesn't allow that? Fuck it's dumb.
-The crazy streets and GPS system. I guess this game is being accurate to Hong Kong's highway system, but JESUS FuCK WHY AM I S LOOPING AROUND THIS PLACE WHEN SOMEONE SHOULD HAVE JUST BUILT A STRAIGHT UP HIGHWAY. In addition to that, the GPS seems to always somehow point me to drive into alleyways which look like they should be human pedestrian paths instead of driving paths. The stairs are a huge clue. Also, cutting through a middle divider of a 4 lane street just to go into a tiny thin alleyway to drive up some stairs so I can reach the Take-Out Restaurant seems like a driving path no sane human would use. Silly GPS. I will not take a left into the corn field.

Overall though, I do think it's a good game, it's just a bit unpolished.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 08:25 AM   #165
akaFila
Boulder Badge

Been Playing:

Skyrim - Finally decide to pick it up for a play through after my saves were demolished sometime last summer. Good game is good.

LoZ: Link Between Worlds - Figured I should considering everyone else was grabbing it. So far, the game has delivered as a quality game, and my only issue so far are the bosses. In my opinion, all of the boss fights have been much easier than they should be.

Looking to Get:

Borderlands 2: GOTY - Still have yet to play BL2 after giving the series a try last year with BL.

akaFila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 09:47 AM   #166
Vye
Cascade Badge

Skyrim, I've played it on and off mostly, never completed the game. Just play it to check in on my family... Getting a gaming computer in less than 6 days now, so I'll be able to play and enjoy Skyrim soon

games I am looking forward to play are

South park, the Stick of Truth
Dragon Age Inquisition
Witcher III

I also just started playing the 3ds harvest moon game, fun and relaxing, I'm very anal on where to put the buildings though
Old 01-19-2014, 01:04 PM   #167
DaveTheFishGuy
Primordial Fishbeast

Send a message via Skype™ to DaveTheFishGuy
Beat: Luigi's Mansion 2: Dark Moon - 14hrs

Oh my god so good.
DaveTheFishGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 08:38 PM   #168
Tyranidos
beebooboobopbooboobop

Send a message via AIM to Tyranidos Send a message via MSN to Tyranidos
Beat: BioShock Infinite

Great game. Also played part one of the DLC, looking forward to part 2.
Old 01-20-2014, 08:03 PM   #169
Loki

Got:
-Fire Emblem Awakening
-Ace Attorney Phoenix Wright Dual Destinies

Games I'll likely never play because of Monster Hunter....
Old 01-20-2014, 09:56 PM   #170
OkikuMew
Droppin' CDs and beats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki View Post
Got:
-Fire Emblem Awakening
-Ace Attorney Phoenix Wright Dual Destinies

Games I'll likely never play because of Monster Hunter....
Which is sad, as both are great games

Art || FB || WF || Tumblr
OkikuMew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 01:25 AM   #171
Loki

Haha it's a joke. I have been playing FE:A a bit with great frustration (playing on Classic and characters DYING IN THE PROLOGUE WTF), but PWD is still on backlog cuz of Apollo Justice being incomplete for me ATM. It's in the cartridge slot, just not been inspired to play it right now.
Old 01-21-2014, 07:21 AM   #172
SoS
Ducks gonna duck

One wonders why we haven't updated this thread to 2014 yet :3
Quote:
Fizzy Bubbles Team
PASBL
Wild Future
Old 01-21-2014, 10:42 AM   #173
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I figured Lindsay would want to do it. IIRC she was a little disappointed when Deo got the jump on her last year since it has kind of been her traditional thread to post each year. I could be wrong, but ... *shrug*
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 04:20 PM   #174
SoS
Ducks gonna duck

Beat: Professor Layton and the Azran Legacies

I'd give one word to describe this game: satisfying, with special regards to the ending (see the spoiler box for details). There is a distinct feeling of satisfaction every time you complete one of the many puzzles, and the plot, while positively ridiculous and nonsensical if you think about it at all, is entertaining and keeps you engaged while making you care about the characters immensely. If you've beaten Miracle Mask, you'll also get one of the game's biggest reveals hours in advance, which is very disappointing for the player, but makes sense for Layton at least. I recommend it, it's a satisfying and challenging experience for the 3DS. Great for public transport. It's either that or buying puzzle books... Or both!

This below spoiler is all plot discussion, so yeah. MAJOR SPOILERS FOR THE ENTIRE LAYTON FRANCHISE.

Spoiler: show
The plot thread I alluded to above that is easily guessed if you beat Miracle Mask? Sycamore's true identity as Descolé, since he keeps his butler from the post-credits scene. Granted, I didn't catch on immediately having not picked up Miracle Mask since I beat it a year ago, but I still caught on very quickly.

However, the other reveals come from so far out of left field, that I was left open-mouthed, especially with how thick and fast they come. I feel this is actually to the game's disadvantage, as it started getting difficult to keep track of everything from my perspective. Surprise! Emmy's a Targent mole! Surprise! Layton and Descolé are brothers! Surprise! Layton's real name isn't Hershel, that's Descolé! Surprise! Bronev is their father! Surprise! Aurora's not actually human! Surprise! The Azran are dicks, and are going to destroy the world! Surprise! The only way to stop it is to sacrifice the heroes and Bronev! Surprise! They're back to life because Aurora made a wish! (Ok, that one wasn't so surprising.) Surprise! Layton's real name is Theodore! This is all from the final hour of the game, and it's just so much that my head hurt. Don't get me wrong, I actually liked quite a few of the reveals and the way they were handled - Layton and Descolé's past especially, but they were just too much too fast.

However, it's the credits that gave me the most satisfaction, especially with the final scene being the Curious Village opening - thus tying the trilogies together in a beautiful way. Also liked the juxtaposition of Layton and Bronev lecturing on the Azran. Like father like son I guess.

As a final note - that big hug between Layton and Emmy. D'awwwwwwww <3
Quote:
Fizzy Bubbles Team
PASBL
Wild Future
Old 01-21-2014, 07:39 PM   #175
Loki

Quote:
One wonders why we haven't updated this thread to 2014 yet :3
I think laziness is the top reason things are not done.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Video Games