UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON

Old 03-10-2011, 09:03 PM   #51
Talon87
時の彼方へ

You're so right. *smack, smack @ self* Good save. My apologies, Doppel. It's similar to confusion but just as Concept says: if the attack fails, you just sit their "immobilized by love" doing nothing. Will edit post to correct it.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 09:12 PM   #52
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
OK, so why does the Attract allow for two moves in one round?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
2. Hyper Beam (special) and Giga Impact (physical). It's still here. What do you want to know? If you look at moves on your creatures (from the "POKEMON" menu option while on the overworld map), you can see symbols next to the moves. An orange explosion symbol is physical. A purple Third Eye is special. A white-and-gray symbol means that it is neither, usually because it's a status-inducing move or a healing move or something.
I see it now. But those attributes mean nothing to me, what Pokemon are resistant to Special/Physical moves? Is it type dependant?

Also, that Ouran Berry has got to be the most annoying game mechanic ever.

"10 Damage! Your Pokemon used Ouran Berry!"
"Opponent found Ouran Berry! Opponent regained 10 HP!"

[repeat ad infinitum]

I went through 10 minutes of this back and forth BS until my Lilipup got KO'd by crits. Ridiculous! -_-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
3. It was truer in RBY than it has been since Gen 3. You're probably going to confuse the younger kids here with what you're talking about; they won't remember Chris Pioli's Rhyhorn experiment in the patch of grass north of Pallet Town nor the other experiments which led to our primitive understanding of proto-EVs. Basically, back in Gen 1, you ran the real risk of not being able to max your creatures stats if you leveled it up too fast relative to the number of creatures you killed. That's more or less been a non-issue since Gen 3. You'd have to try very hard to get to Level 100 without getting the 508 EVs maximum. I'd say "do what you have to do to advance the team" is a good rule of thumb. In general, I'd keep a Pidgeotto I'd raised, Lvl 19, over capturing a wild one, Lvl 22; but I'd box that same Pidgeotto, Lvl 19, if I ran into and captured a wild one, Lvl 45. You know what I mean?
Speaking of that, what happened to Wrap?

The last time I played Red, I hacked it to give me a starter Dratini (for the stronger stats) who had Wrap. Wrap was incredibly broken in the early grounds around Pallet and it was still useful up through the Gym Leaders. But my Snivy learned it, and it was fudge awful. Did it get nerfed or something?

(I replaced Wrap with Growth. Good/bad move?)
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 09:21 PM   #53
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
OK, so why does the Attract allow for two moves in one round?
It doesn't.

Quote:
I see it now. But those attributes mean nothing to me, what Pokemon are resistant to Special/Physical moves? Is it type dependant?
Type determines resistance. Special/Physical merely checks whether the attack checks the user's Special Attack or Attack and the defender's Special Defense or Defense.

Quote:
Also, that Ouran Berry has got to be the most annoying game mechanic ever.

"10 Damage! Your Pokemon used Ouran Berry!"
"Opponent found Ouran Berry! Opponent regained 10 HP!"

[repeat ad infinitum]

I went through 10 minutes of this back and forth BS until my Lilipup got KO'd by crits. Ridiculous! -_-
Berries are one time use only. After it triggers, it is gone.

Quote:
Speaking of that, what happened to Wrap?

The last time I played Red, I hacked it to give me a starter Dratini (for the stronger stats) who had Wrap. Wrap was incredibly broken in the early grounds around Pallet and it was still useful up through the Gym Leaders. But my Snivy learned it, and it was fudge awful. Did it get nerfed or something?

(I replaced Wrap with Growth. Good/bad move?)
Wrap only prevents switching or running away. It doesn't cripple Pokemon like it did in Gen1. And Growth is totally worth it. +1 level of Attack or Special Attack. 1 level is +50% of your stat. 2 levels is +100%, doubling your stat. It goes up to 6 levels. So yeah, it's worth using over Wrap.

///

Anyway, it sounds like your ROM is all levels of messed up.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 09:28 PM   #54
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor Jesus View Post
It doesn't.
I'm certain I'm seeing that cat-thing (don't know the name yet) use Attract, then follow up with a Scratch or Tail Whip. It hasn't happened just once.

Quote:
Type determines resistance. Special/Physical merely checks whether the attack checks the user's Special Attack or Attack and the defender's Special Defense or Defense.
How's that different from the old days, then? From what I gathered, splitting of Hyper Beam into two 150 damage moves was supposed to be a big deal.

Quote:
Berries are one time use only. After it triggers, it is gone.
I figured the berries would be one-time, but in-battle, the opposing Pokemon picks up/finds a berry immediately after my Pokemon uses one. Then my Pokemon repeats the process after damaging the opponent.

I'm still holding Ouran Berries despite eating like a billion of them because they're picked up almost immediately after use. And for some reason, they don't always trigger.

Quote:
Wrap only prevents switching or running away. It doesn't cripple Pokemon like it did in Gen1. And Growth is totally worth it. +1 level of Attack or Special Attack. 1 level is +50% of your stat. 2 levels is +100%, doubling your stat. It goes up to 6 levels. So yeah, it's worth using over Wrap.
Cool. Sucks about the nerf though, isn't it useful for the elusive legendaries, though?

Quote:
Anyway, it sounds like your ROM is all levels of messed up.
Possible. I wouldn't know any better if it was or wasn't.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 03-10-2011, 09:40 PM   #55
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Let's look at one element, fire. In the old days, all fire attacks were special. This meant that if you got hit by fire, your only concern was how big your special defense stat, HP, and type were. So for example, even though HypotheteticalMon was 2x weak to fire, since it had a base special defense of 160 (huuuuuuge!), it really didn't care about fire.

Nowadays, all seventeen elements have both physical and special moves. So it's not good enough to have a good special defense against fire now: you have to have a good defense, too, or else you're going to get hurt pretty badly if you're weak to fire. Let's look at HypotheticalMon again. He's 2x weak to fire, and it turns out his regular defense (not his special defense) is base 30. This is terribly small. Fire Punch? A meager fire noogie might KO this guy with the right muscle behind it.

The reason the split was so big was because it made the game that much more aggressive and that much less stall-based or defensively-played. People thought Gen 4 would be the death of stall: it wasn't. They said the same for Gen 5, briefly, before laughing and realizing Gen 5 wouldn't be the death of stall either. And it hasn't been. But certainly stall's days were king in Gen 3 with the famous duo of Skarmory and Blissey ("SkarmBliss") as well as other contenders for top spots on teams.
Old 03-10-2011, 09:42 PM   #56
Loki

Quote:
I'm certain I'm seeing that cat-thing (don't know the name yet) use Attract, then follow up with a Scratch or Tail Whip. It hasn't happened just once.
Okay. That move is ASSIST. Not ATTRACT. Assist chooses a move on the user's team randomly and the user does it. So if the cat has a Geodude with Rock Throw and Tackle, it might choose Rock Throw or Tackle. It can choose non-damaging and self-KO moves too if you're unfortunate.

Quote:
How's that different from the old days, then? From what I gathered, splitting of Hyper Beam into two 150 damage moves was supposed to be a big deal.
This means that a bunch of Pokemon become less useful because of their statistical setup.

For example, Umbreon used to be a good Special Defense Wall thanks to it's high Special Defense. But now with Fighting special, which is super effective, it makes the Dark Eeveelution less usable.

Quote:
I figured the berries would be one-time, but in-battle, the opposing Pokemon picks up/finds a berry immediately after my Pokemon uses one. Then my Pokemon repeats the process after damaging the opponent.

I'm still holding Ouran Berries despite eating like a billion of them because they're picked up almost immediately after use. And for some reason, they don't always trigger.
Sounds like something is wrong with your game. The only way to bring back a berry is Recycle, but that requires a turn of action.

Apparently, the ability Pick Up has been changed. So... yeah. Only Pokemon with Pick Up do this.

Quote:
Cool. Sucks about the nerf though, isn't it useful for the elusive legendaries, though?
Not really because most of them use Roar.

Last edited by Loki; 03-10-2011 at 09:47 PM.
Old 03-10-2011, 09:49 PM   #57
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Actually I lied, none of my Pokemon are holding berries anymore. But they were certainly chugging them down like mad during this one battle after Cheron. In fact, my Snivy picked up his berry during that battle.

About CUT - I think I understand Talon's beef with it earlier. I too remember the horrible days of teaching my Bulbasaur Cut and realizing how painfully terrible a decision that was. So I caught some throw-away Patrat to use my cuts.

The question is, though, if I can still clear grass away with it. I'm using the Running Shoes right now and there doesn't appear to be a way to switch out of them, but IIRC I could cut grass like Link did in Zelda using a Pokemon with Cut. I just can't use it.

...and yeah, sorry about the Attract/Assist mix-up. That certainly confused some people for a couple rounds...
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 03-10-2011, 09:52 PM   #58
Lady Kuno
The hostess with the mostess

Quote:
The question is, though, if I can still clear grass away with it. I'm using the Running Shoes right now and there doesn't appear to be a way to switch out of them, but IIRC I could cut grass like Link did in Zelda using a Pokemon with Cut. I just can't use it.
That was removed a looong time ago.

PROUD OWNER OF A MISSINGNO. IN FIZZY BUBBLES
Lady Kuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 09:55 PM   #59
Talon87
時の彼方へ

You've never been able to mow grass with Cut. Not to my recollection, anyway. EDIT: Kuno ninja'd me and seems to remember it. I however have no memory of being able to cut tall grass with Cut.

The running shoes are always with you in Gens 3, 4, and 5 but you have the choice of whether to use them or not. I prefer HGSS's approach to the matter by letting you actually equip or unequip them, but unfortunately B/W has regressed to an earlier pattern of having the player manually press down B to run (and releasing it to walk at normal speed), giving them no option for always having the running shoes equipped (i.e. being able to run without pressing down any buttons besides the D-pad for your intended direction).

EDIT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulbapedia
In Generation I and Generation III, if Cut was used, the grass adjacent to the player would be totally erased; in Generation II, longer grass would be gradually cut shorter before disappearing. The ability to use Cut on grass was removed in Generation IV.
I'll be damned. That sounds pretty cool. But I guess I would have never missed it!

Last edited by Talon87; 03-10-2011 at 10:19 PM.
Old 03-10-2011, 11:01 PM   #60
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

This GameSynch stuff, I have no words. The explanation seems mixed, like it's half linking up Nintendo DS to each other over the internet and half plot related. Am I expected to learn how to use this thing, or can I just zone it out?
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 03-10-2011, 11:05 PM   #61
Lady Kuno
The hostess with the mostess

That's optional stuff.

PROUD OWNER OF A MISSINGNO. IN FIZZY BUBBLES
Lady Kuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 12:13 AM   #62
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Emperor View Post
That's optional stuff.
Yeah, and you'll really have no use for it if you're using a ROM, unfortunately
People should watch what they enjoy regardless of what others think, even if it's a terribad guilty pleasure.
Quote:
Though, I also dislike the concept of lamenting the current day while wishing to re-experience the past. At least, my modern attitude is to try and make each new day magical even if it's not, since exclusively reminiscing about the past is too pathetic.
Kindrindra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 12:26 AM   #63
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Snivy evolved into Servine. I hope there wasn't a move I was supposed to learn as a Snivy that was important for it later down the line.

I like N, the "rival". He doesn't seem like the typical arrogant, self-absorbed rivals of the past. Frankly, I'm having a hard time accepting him as a rival, there's almost nothing to hate him on. He's not even that powerful, so I feel like a bully pushing him around.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 03-11-2011, 12:37 AM   #64
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

Quote:
Snivy evolved into Servine. I hope there wasn't a move I was supposed to learn as a Snivy that was important for it later down the line.

I like N, the "rival". He doesn't seem like the typical arrogant, self-absorbed rivals of the past. Frankly, I'm having a hard time accepting him as a rival, there's almost nothing to hate him on. He's not even that powerful, so I feel like a bully pushing him around.
Technically, Biancia and Cherin are the Rivals. N... well, he could be considered a third rival, I suppose. He's unique, compared to previous pokemon characters.
People should watch what they enjoy regardless of what others think, even if it's a terribad guilty pleasure.
Quote:
Though, I also dislike the concept of lamenting the current day while wishing to re-experience the past. At least, my modern attitude is to try and make each new day magical even if it's not, since exclusively reminiscing about the past is too pathetic.
Kindrindra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 12:47 AM   #65
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Bianca registered in my brain as the childhood friend who'se destined to get overshadowed by a rival love interest. I'm probably expecting too much from this game, and am contaminated by the stuff I've played up to this point (plus TVTropes) but I have a hard time not seeing some kind of shipping pairing with the main character. I mean, the fact that the opposite sex trainer picked the weaker type is almost stereotypical with that kind of stock character.

Cherin kind of annoys me, he comes off as more villainous for some reason.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 03-11-2011, 12:54 AM   #66
Loki

For the most part, many Pokemon that evolve through level up don't lose many attacks through evolving early. If you evolve something through Evolution Stones, you it could potentially cripple the moves. i.e. Simipour does not learn most of the moves Panpour learns and is an evolution via Water Stone. Snivy learns Leaf Storm and Serperior (it's final form) also learns Leaf Storm, but Snivy learns it at level 43 while Serperior has it at 62.

Don't worry too much about evolving early, as the statistical increase to virtually all stats is typically well worth it.
Old 03-11-2011, 03:40 AM   #67
DaveTheFishGuy
Primordial Fishbeast

Send a message via Skype™ to DaveTheFishGuy
>I mean, the fact that the opposite sex trainer picked the weaker type is almost stereotypical with that kind of stock character.

If you choose the female player character, then Bianca still chooses the starter weak to yours. Just the way she rolls.

Fizzy Bubbles - Cable Club Post - Wild Future

Spoiler: show

Various awesome artstuffs by DaisyInari
Spoiler: show

DaveTheFishGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 07:11 PM   #68
Lindz
Kuno's Wife

Ya all is driving me crazier lol

What ya want added or changed in PKMN games is post-worthy but not in a SALES thread x_x; I mean the series still doesn't have character creation/customization but ya don't see me complaining about that in a PKMN music appreciation thread or w/e.
Lindz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 07:35 PM   #69
Loki

At least we are talking about Pokemon lol.
Old 03-16-2011, 04:41 PM   #70
Lindz
Kuno's Wife

Back on the subject of sales, NoA recently announced SoulSilver has sold 2 million in the US since release. For perspective in its first month it sold 1.02 million just under what B/W did in its first day. No word on what HG is sitting at. Clearly the SuperiorSilver meme had some effect!
Lindz is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON