UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime

Old 05-09-2012, 04:52 PM   #3951
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Tried to look into watching Anyamaru Tantei Kiruminzoo but was unable to find anyone who actually had the show. The subbers themselves only have 29-50 listed on their torrent tracker and they appear to have been the only people to sub it. As for the raws, just like the subs they seem to be pretty much dead 'n' seedless. So I thought I'd ask you directly, bbb, ... just how did you manage to watch this? ^^; I'll watch it raw or subbed, either way, but I can't even find a way to do either short of, *ugh*, watching it on a site like Veoh or DailyMotion. Would rather not have to do that. I think what I may do is bank on these guys getting out the batch as they've promised ... although if their laggart is anything like other groups' slowpokes, I may be waiting indefinitely for that batch. -.-; ^_^;

In other news, have almost finished the original Rozen Maiden manga. Post incoming. Will then finish it off and probably make a second post.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 05:12 PM   #3952
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

Yeah, finding the first few episodes was a bitch, and I had to rely on DDL sites for them. Though this was before the whole megaupload thing happened, so it wasn't so difficult. This site is what I used to download them up until I got to the torrents that were actually seeded.

In before Riko pisses you off. Though I thought her annoying squawking voice was kinda amusing (I totally did not catch her as Madoka's VA). I should rewatch this show sometime.
big bad birtha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 05:54 PM   #3953
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by big bad birtha View Post
Yeah, finding the first few episodes was a bitch, and I had to rely on DDL sites for them. Though this was before the whole megaupload thing happened, so it wasn't so difficult. This site is what I used to download them up until I got to the torrents that were actually seeded.
Watched the first 5 minutes and 27 seconds of the first episode. It looks cute so far, from what little I've seen. Unfortunately, I think I may have to wait for the batch after all: because even though I was able to get 01 and 02 just fine, all of the DDLs for 03 are dead and even the torrent tracker for the torrent is dead, so never mind not having any seeds -- I can't even load up a torrent to hunt for seeds on! I may continue to watch 01 (and move on to 02) later, I may not. Depends on whether I want to risk the torture of waiting for the batch should I like the show or not.
Old 05-09-2012, 10:37 PM   #3954
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

I'm 6 episodes into most of the shows of this season. I guess I'll talk about what I've watched so far.

Accel World
This show had great potential, and I was excited when going into it, because the main guy had a high potential for growth. The concept seemed pretty good too. However, I'm getting kinda tired of the main guy bawling so much. I want to complain how the main guy even having a harem makes no sense, but I'll hold back on that. This show is certainly very nice looking and exciting. However, it's getting to be on the level of a regular old shounen. I'm still going to watch it. The main guy MIGHT man up, and the fights might be more than the main guy getting the shit beat out of him, only for him to somehow end up winning.

Acchi Kocchi
Nothing much has changed since I started. It's still a heartwarming slice-of-life comedy. Some of the jokes are great (Valentine's day chocolates with frog meat in them), and some are just meh (none of them have pissed me off, thankfully). Once again, don't touch this if you didn't like Lucky Star. It's not as obnoxious, but it's still very similar.

Unofficial Sentai Akibaranger
I'm gonna post this here, since I don't really want to bother making an entirely new topic in the entertainment board just for something no-one else will get/watch. This show kicks so much ass. I love it. Most of the jokes are about Sentai cliches, and others are about otaku (of many different kinds). Hopefully this show will keep it up.

Fate/Zero
I might talk about this in the appropriate thread if I feel like it.

Haiyore! Nyarlko
Should I even bother talking about this? Like Acchi Kocchi, it's another show that only I'll like. So far, I've really liked this show. Yes, it makes no sense, but it's a fucking hyperactive comedy anime. If I had a problem with that, I might as well complain about Berserk not being kid-friendly. I've liked the jokes so far, and Nyarlko's a fucking awesome character. The boy that was just introduced is HNNNNGtastic (and voiced by Rie, which I didn't even catch).

Hyouka

Jewelpet Kiraceco
This is a really cute and funny show. It doesn't make much sense, and doesn't exactly teach good values to kids, but it's still entertaining. Also, all of the characters are so entertaining and unique that I can't help but enjoy watching this.

Moretsu Pirates
Yes, I'm still watching this. Nothing has really changed for me since I last talked about it. Though some of the latest episodes gave birth to outbursts of joy from an obnoxious fanbase I've been sick of in the Precure fanbase. Thank god I don't interact with any of them!

Polar Bear Cafe

Saint Seiya Omega
This is disappointing. Episodes 2,3, and 4 were kinda entertaining. Sadly, this show is diving into brain-dead retarded shounen territory really quickly. The last two episodes were really bad. I pretty much cringed the entire time. I'm still going to watch because it's Umakoshi, but I've lost my enthusiasm.

Saki Side A
EXPLODING MAHJONG TILES! EXPLODING FOOTSTEPS! EVIL ALIEN FINAL BOSS CHARACTERS! LITTLE GIRLS! THIS IS MOE MAHJONG DIRECTED BY MICHAEL BAY! In all seriousness, this show is fucking rushed. It goes through 10 years worth of stuff in just 5 episodes, and gives very little development or depth to the characters, which the first season atleast halfass did. What this season had in common with the first season is overdramatic bawling. "I lost a match! I'm gonna start bawling for no reason and cut myself! WAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!" It's a meh title for me, but nothing bad enough for me to drop.

Space Brothers
A fairly entertaining show that's nice to relax to and watch, but not much else. I can't think of much to say about this, to be honest.

Tasogare Otome x Amnesia
I'm pretty much just watching this for the VAs at this point. The main girl pretty much screaming "LOOK AT MY TITTIES!" the entire time followed by the main guy spazzing out is infuriating. There goes my enthusiasm for this show.

Tsuritama
Even though I picked this up on a whim, this show has been surprisingly good so far, and it's probably my favorite of the season. At first glance, it's just a silly random show about fishing. Surprisingly, there has been a pretty good amount of character depth and development in this show. It has a similar lesson shounens have, such as "man up and fish like you promised to do!". I also like how in the community they live in, despite how eccentric the main characters are, no-one in town really judges them as strange. Like when the Indian with the duck transfers into the school, he goes "I'm 25 years old, but please take care of me." and everyone responds "Welcome!", "Your duck's so cute!", and stuff like that.

Zetman
This show's badass, but that's about it. There really isn't much to say about this.
Old 05-10-2012, 11:21 AM   #3955
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Watched Episode 01 of Kiruminzoo last night. It was cute. Would like a proper thread to post in. *nudge nudge*

bbb: I'm not doing it. >_>

Well either you do it or else I'm going to. But I don't want to. A, I always make the threads. B, you know the show a lot better than I do so you can create a much more informed first post. C, you care about the franchise much more than I do, so it's best you champion the thread instead of me.

In any event, from what I saw last night, the series looks like it has potential. It's still way too early to tell whether it'll live up to that potential or not. Every possible outcome is still fair game.
Old 05-10-2012, 02:16 PM   #3956
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Double post. Watched Episode 02. Thoughts in brief:

The girl I fell in love with from the doujin = the girl I thought would be my favorite in the show = the girl who is in fact so far my favorite in the show. Oh, preferences. But yeah, I like Nagisa best out of any of the characters we've met so far.

Nagisa's voice actress's performance here strikes me as sounding remarkably similar to Noto Mamiko's standard voice. Perhaps that's what they were going for? I see that this girl hasn't done many voice acting jobs yet. She would have been around 18 years old when she started work on this series. Perhaps the folks who animated this series scouted for a Noto Mamiko sound-alike who they could pay peanuts b/c she isn't an established voice actress? In any event, she does a good job and I really love the voice. Not to mention the character design. Not to mention the character overall.

I have never seen a cat's genitals animated so large and in your face in my entire life, let alone in a children's television series. When I saw them in the first pic, I obviously noticed them. When the camera then zoomed in on the cat's posterior in the second pic, how could you not notice them? And then in the third and fourth pics, when she tried to play cute, all I could think was, "She gonna get raped. [/meme]" Am I a bad person?
Old 05-10-2012, 09:23 PM   #3957
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
Am I a bad person?
For now. I'd rather say you're an adult person.

If you keep watching, you will have the heart of an innocent maiden.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 11:40 PM   #3958
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

I'd rather not make a topic about something only I'd really like, but I'll start on one if you want me to. Right now, however, I feel like shit.

For that episode itself, I appreciated how it resolved itself. I liked how the cat just gave up on her after she transformed into a cat and he realized she was just a child. Despite being a kid's show, Kiruminzoo doesn't treat its audience like they're retarded, unlike a certain show I'm currently watching. It's surprisingly down-to-Earth, while still having some supernatural (or whatever the fuck you call it) stuff in the mix.

Speaking of unkidsshowlike moments in kid's shows, here's one from Jewelpet Kira Deco's latest episode!
Old 05-10-2012, 11:52 PM   #3959
Talon87
時の彼方へ

What you just described is actually the end to Episode 03, not 02, but it's okay: I was holding off on mentioning my thoughts on that episode earlier today because I didn't want to make three posts in a row. ^^; But yeah, I've seen through 03 now, so I know what you're talking about.

From the three episodes I've seen so far, I too feel like Kiruminzoo is a strange hybrid of "for kids" and "for maturer minds" entertainment. The plot with the clown facepaint mom from overseas, which is starting to be fleshed out more in the end of Episode 03 and the beginning scene I glimpsed in Episode 04, isn't the sort of thing you'd usually expect to find in a kid's show. But it's still interesting and it actually makes for a believable villain. It'll be interesting to see how Nagisa pairs off then with that family's beau of a son. (Well, I'm assuming he's their son.)

While I was watching Episode 03, it suddenly struck me why I felt the redhead's voice was so familiar: she's Iris from Pokémon B&W: Best Wishes, isn't she!? Is that why you said I would hate her? Well, I have to admit that ever since I've realized she's Iris, my attitude towards the redhead has dipped slightly ^^; ; however! I actually don't have a problem with her. Her and her same-age sister are okay in my book for now. They're not awesome or anything but they're not bad either. Nagisa and the bat girl are really the only two characters I care about so far. Ken (the more aggressive of the two boys) and his buddy are interesting to me too but they haven't gotten much development yet. I'm also curious to see if that turtle ...

Spoiler: show
... is the girls' grandfather or not and, if he is, how long until the writers are going to reveal this to us. They seemed to have been hinting at it since the very first episode but it's curious that, unlike the Kirumin girls, the turtle seems to be an actual turtle except for his cap and glasses. In other words, he doesn't seem to be capable of or willing to engage in telepathic communication the way the girls do when they're in their full animal forms. So maybe he really is just some turtle, I dunno. But my hunch is that he's their grandfather.
Old 05-12-2012, 05:24 PM   #3960
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Tasogare Otome x Amnesia:
I happened to have Episode 04 on hand so I said, "I will watch this and then officially drop this series." Well, the show is still crappy -- I'm still giving it a "4 - Bad" on MyAnimeList -- but I'm not certain if I'll drop it yet or not. I probably will, but I'm not going to rule out a rogue spell of boredom and curiosity leading me to watch Episodes 05 and 06 and then deciding, "Oh, hell with it: I'll finish the show off since it's only a 12-episode series anyway." But for now, I'm leaning towards dropped. It's a terrible show. A lot of the unique spins it takes with ghost stories are retarded imo, making it inferior in my book to even the most cliche of ghost stories. A great novel ghost story it is not.

The iDOLM@STER:
Well surprise, surprise. Doki finally got Episode 22 out. I put the series down circa Episode 20 because I could tell shit was about to get real and I didn't want to get caught in the middle of an epic cliffhanger. It turned out my decision was right since Doki then put the show on hold for over half a year. -_-; Well, they finally got 22 out. I'm still not watching the show yet -- 26 or bust, Doki! -- but now that they've shown some life, I figure I'll hold out for them rather than investigate UTW's version.

Recorder to Randsell ~ Re:
Was lazy but I finally got around to watching the raw for Episode 06. Fun but for some inexplicable reason I didn't find it as fun as previous episodes this season.

Polar Bear's Cafe:
See thread. Thru Ep05.

Anyamal Tantei Kiruminzoo:
See thread. Thru Ep12. Have encountered an obstacle to seeing Episodes 33 thru 39, possibly more. Shouldn't matter just yet but I'd like to overcome it before I actually run out of episodes to watch.

Rozen Maiden:
See thread. Finished original manga. Moving on to the second series.
Old 05-16-2012, 11:10 AM   #3961
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Despite a recent push for activity, I'm getting really frustrated with the lack of posting. This is completely unacceptable. I can understand when one person doesn't want to respond to one thread. I can understand when one person doesn't want to respond to all threads. And I can even understand when all threads gets neglected by multiple people, with each individual neglecting only a subset of them. But when every single person except me is not posting ... about ANYTHING ... when the only posts out of bbb are in this thread and the only posts out of Doppel and Yuki have trickled off into non-existence ... -.-;

This isn't really a new problem. I've felt like I've been keeping this board alive on life support for quite a while. bbb and I have very little common ground in what we watch so, from where I'm standing, that's one member down that I can count on to reply to topics I want to discuss. Then there's Doppel, who for whatever inexplicable reason has really dropped off of watching anime starting around some time last fall (when he blamed it on being busy with applications) and continues to not be very active. All of our older regulars have long since disappeared. Morg is infrequent in posting on UPN period but when he does it's never here. Mcsweeney, when he does show up, will try to make at least one post here, bless 'im, but he shows up even more infrequently on UPN than Morgoth does, busy with work or League of Legends or StarCraft II or RoTK, I don't know, but too busy to post on UPN all the same. And finally we have Yuki, our newest addition to the regular posters team, who has gone home for the summer break and, as such, can't really watch or comment on anything new. Even when she does get a chance to watch new stuff, she gets her discussion itch scratched on Skype and then leaves the forum proper devoid of feedback.

The consequence of all of this is that the index for this forum looks like a joke right now. To someone who didn't know better, it would look like some member named "Talon87" has had to have the last word on every single thread. Only a closer look reveals how wrong this is. "He was the last to post in the Bunny Drop thread ... but oh, what's this? He's posted about some contest! This should be interesting. I wonder why nobody responded? " "Hmm, he was the last person to respond to this thread labeled 'Hyouka' too ... but what's this? He started the thread? Posted in it twice? And then never posted in it again? You mean that thread's been sitting there, waiting for replies ... for eight days!? " "Hey look, Polar Bear's Cafe! That's a popular one, right? Like, ten different people on UPN are watching this one, right? Right? ..... right? ^^; OTL APPARENTLY NOT, because Talon was the first person to even squeak about the episode from two Thursdays ago and four days later there still hasn't been ANY reply from ANYBODY." Sure, some of these threads are self-serving -- I don't expect anyone to reply to the Rozen Maiden thread anymore than bbb expects me to respond to the Pretty Cure thread, I'm just posting there as more of a diary than anything else -- but most of these threads are intended grounds for discussion, for expressing views and sharing ideas with fellow fans. When I pour in hours and hours, days and days, weeks and weeks' worth of discussion into these threads and get nothing back out, "frustrating" is the simplest and kindest word I can use to describe the situation.

I'm just throwing it out there, and I'm throwing it out there publically since I think it effects everybody here. I'm getting fed up with the one-sided relationship and I'm pretty close to saying, "Fuck it, I'll just watch these shows on my own and use the time that would have been spent writing up posts doing way more constructive things instead."
Old 05-16-2012, 01:29 PM   #3962
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

I haven't begun posting again since exams ended because:

a. I have other priorities to catch up on.
b. I haven't felt engaged enough in recent shows to write anything substantial.
c. Pretty much anything I have to say I can say directly to Talon via Skype, since after all no one else seems really interested in (discussing) the topics where we have common ground.
d. Laziness.

At any rate, I was thinking of making a summary post soon at least, so now's good timing.

A Dog of Flanders

Watched this movie after a discussion with Talon a couple weeks ago. Sad story, though it didn't make me cry. Reminded me of the tale of Stone Fox, if everything that could have possibly gone wrong in the end did.

Fate/Zero

Second season's been borderline ridiculousilly IMO, and episode 18 pretty much pushed the series over the edge for me. Having a hard time taking the show seriously anymore, but hopefully next week things will return to normal.

Hyouka

Refuse to post anymore about this since I have no good things to say about it, and Talon won't tell me the big (obvious) secret that's keeping me watching (for now). >> I did sit through episode 04 though. By God this show is boring...

Recorder to Randsell ~ Re

Second season is definitely a lot better than the first. Enjoyed the latest episode. Poor Atsushi's partner. x.X I didn't quite understand why his parents faked injury when he asked for permission to participate though. '~' Did they expect to have to play with him?

Polar Bear's Café

Might make a post on the newer episode(s) after I potentially stream this weekend so everyone's had a chance to see it. Though I usually don't have much to say about this show other than "SQUEE~"

Hunter x Hunter

I've kept quiet in the thread since I'm not sure if Dopple's still watching or not. I've been trying to only respond to first-time viewers' comments rather than influencing initial perceptions with my own experience.

That being said, I apologize for misdirecting the recent discussion regarding "raw ability". ^^; It has been a while since I've seen the series, so feel free to take whatever I say with a grain of salt.

Usagi Drop

May as well say I watched all the BD specials, and enjoyed them. I saw the post about the contest, but have little interest in entering. I'm not committed enough to the series to think of a relevant question, let alone care to win a script of the show. That kind of prize seems like it'd only be attractive to die-hard fans. ^^; If it were a Lop-Ear plushie, then maybe...

Katawa Shoujo

I 100% beat the game yesterday. ...In all, I feel this was kind of a waste of my time. None of the paths really touched me, and the ones that did were in a way that's too personal and vague for me to talk about.

And now for stuff no one else really cares about...

Sankarea

The "made for 15-year-old boys" warning label I apparently missed has been wagging its tongue at me recently, but I'm dealing with it. At least the series has made F/Z's recent developments all the more hilarious. For a minute during 18 I thought I was watching this show instead, minus the boobies. XP

Kimi to Boku

A string of "meh" episodes, which have improved again in the last two weeks. This week was great, with some major development for both the series' secretly introspective narrators.

Biggest surprises:

Spoiler: show
Shun looking serious for once? Whoamg.

Oh, and the confession, obviously. XP Though the dream in the beginning was actually even more surprising. ^^; Didn't expect a soft Shoujo series like this to even go there. XD

Though the production values for this show are clearly low, it's nice to see they put some actual effort into the animation of this episode... At times. ^^;

After a plot movement like this, I'm a bit saddened by the news that sales for S1 were so poor that a S3 seems unlikely, but who knows. Maybe things will wrap up by the season's end.

Poyopoyo Kansatsu Nikki

I've barely spoken about this, but just thought I'd mention I'm still watching it. What can I say, it's a cute five-minute filler. Poyo poyo~
lilboocorsola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 01:38 PM   #3963
Talon87
時の彼方へ

For what it's worth, the thing I noticed in Episodes 2 and 3 of Hyouka showed up again in Episode 4. [/major clue to what will LOL probably end up being a minor matter] I still haven't looked deeper into the matter myself, content to know the connection exists with a previous literary work and to know that someone apparently considered it such a big deal that he himself didn't want to blog too extensively about said connection.
Old 05-16-2012, 02:07 PM   #3964
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

I haven't really posted because I've been spending alot of my time on video games. I read everything you said in the Kiruminzoo thread, but I can't think of anything to respond to it. For Polar Bear Cafe, I'm watching it and keeping up with it regularly, but I'd rather not post in the thread. I have my (probably dumb) reasons. For F/Z, I'm expected to contribute more time and effort into discussion than I'm willing to put in.

I guess I have a few noteworthy things to mention.

Yu-Gi-Oh
I figured I'd try reading the original manga to this, where children's cardgames weren't introduced yet. I read the first 10 chapters, and this has potential to be awesome, but it's so god damn rushed. Like, the chapter Kaiba is introduced, they just dashed into the game they were playing without even getting into what he did, or why they're even playing the game (they mentioned it a few times in the game, but that doesn't count). Hopefully we'll get to see some more Kaiji level crazy ass games and Yugi burning people to death.

AKB0048
This so effing overdramatic. This show does get good at times, and I still like the premise, but I really wish the show doesn't go in the "I'm gonna cry about fucking everything!" direction. Sadly, from what the opening has shown (the last 30 seconds of the video is nothing but girls crying), I shouldn't expect anything different.
Old 05-17-2012, 02:18 PM   #3965
unownmew
Banned

Send a message via MSN to unownmew
I've been rather inactive here for a couple reasons.

1. As I had expected, once I got back into YGO dueling, it would take over my life, and probably the only way to stop it is to cold turkey into another dueling hiatus. (My first dueling craze occurred before I found this forum)
2. The amount of Anime I've been interested in watching has dropped dramatically.
3. I was never much of a discusser anyway.

Anyway, I'm still Watching Moretsu Pirates. Still fully enjoying it. The world built is beautiful, and while some of the incidents are not exceptionally epicly compelling, the feel is wonderfully old-school. Like a Good book put into visual form (which differs from movies which are all about the on-screen action), I have to say the writer and artists are doing exceptional work. I haven't read the Manga (anyone know where I can find it translated?), but it seems like it would follow well.

Also picked up Sankarea, out of boredom, and the promo pic was fanservicey.
Seems to have a fair premise. The Zombie concept still makes me rather queasy, but it is so far a well constructed story.

Polished off a 6-ep series I'd never seen before as well. Ozuma. Quite the premise- long in the future, Earth is become a desert, and genetically 'superior' humans hold a loose rule. Sand-marines are a new form of military transport, and the story follows a boy on his hunt to capture the Giant Sand Whale, Ozuma, when he meets and rescues a girl being chased on the sands by a military sand-tank.
It's short and to the point, not much time for world or character building, and the whole thing probably spans the length of 3 days, but I found it fairly entertaining. Had potential to be a good longer-series if they drew things out and added more details, but the ending is absolute. For it's length, it's worth the time watching, IMO.
Though, it was a rude awakening when I saw the characters, most of their faces grated my nerves with how they're drawn until just accepted it.

Last edited by unownmew; 05-17-2012 at 02:33 PM.
unownmew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 03:16 AM   #3966
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

Monmusu Quest part 2
I finally decided I'd give this a shot. This doesn't betray what I've expected since playing the first one. I'm still very surprised by this title. I expected a brainless nukige and nothing more. While it does get very retarded in the nukige department, it still has a pretty good plot, and the internal conflict within the main character is done very well. I like how the main character walks forward with a goal that conflicts with his religious beliefs, and keeps internally struggling with himself as to what is the right thing to do. I've already played halfway through this title, and I started playing yesterday. Needless to say, I'm hooked like I was with part 1. Also, the humor can get pretty great at times. In this latest quest I completed, I fought against a bunch of succubi who wanted to take over a town and make a paradise of male livestock where they could live without having to conceal themselves. After I beat most of the succubi, they told their sob story, and all the male soldiers were all "I support your dream! We'll gladly be your livestock! Lets make this a village of succubus and hum- no. Succubi and male livestock!"

What a surprising gem I found simply from curiously digging through a CG gallery.
Old 05-18-2012, 03:55 AM   #3967
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Quote:
This isn't really a new problem. I've felt like I've been keeping this board alive on life support for quite a while. bbb and I have very little common ground in what we watch so, from where I'm standing, that's one member down that I can count on to reply to topics I want to discuss. Then there's Doppel, who for whatever inexplicable reason has really dropped off of watching anime starting around some time last fall (when he blamed it on being busy with applications) and continues to not be very active. All of our older regulars have long since disappeared. Morg is infrequent in posting on UPN period but when he does it's never here. Mcsweeney, when he does show up, will try to make at least one post here, bless 'im, but he shows up even more infrequently on UPN than Morgoth does, busy with work or League of Legends or StarCraft II or RoTK, I don't know, but too busy to post on UPN all the same. And finally we have Yuki, our newest addition to the regular posters team, who has gone home for the summer break and, as such, can't really watch or comment on anything new. Even when she does get a chance to watch new stuff, she gets her discussion itch scratched on Skype and then leaves the forum proper devoid of feedback.
I've been reading the active topics. As for the lack of activity... ever since sometime early in the year, I had a really bad itch to play a game, but I didn't have any games to play. That got me to try Daibanchou - Big Bang Age despite the gang-rape warning labels. And I played it twice. When the YGO bug bit everyone, I got on that and I'm still stuck on it. BBB is too, except he's not playing DN, but the DS game Over the Nexus.

I haven't watched much anime because most of the season isn't really that (relatively*) interesting to me, and I'm dealing with a shoulder injury that's been chronic since last year. I only learned two days ago it was a shoulder injury, as I'd told my physician it was an elbow/pectoral pain whenever I'd sit up straight for more than 30 minutes (I'd often go into searing pain sitting in the back of my parents' minivan). Only after prolonged bus rides on Monday and practicing driving two days ago did I finally discover that the pain from my pectorals was actually from my shoulder.

Granted, I must apologize because what anime I am following for the season I've been putting off not out of boredom, or even due to being squeamish, but because I budget my time poorly, listening to anime music or writing posts on other subjects that I never actually post (like this one). With so many interesting activities competing for attention, I've been very poor at time efficiency. I need to practice improving that.

Recently, the webmaster of Billy vs. SNAKEMAN decided to get off his arse and talk about stuff each day. I'll do the same...it'll at least remind me when I'm making excuses about not watching things!

(too bad you weren't here in circa 2007ish Talon, when BBB's pure soul was stolen Mabinogi and I literally was the only one here!)
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 05-18-2012, 08:46 AM   #3968
McSweeney
Soul Badge

Quote:
Mcsweeney, when he does show up, will try to make at least one post here, bless 'im, but he shows up even more infrequently on UPN than Morgoth does, busy with work or League of Legends or StarCraft II or RoTK, I don't know, but too busy to post on UPN all the same.
I retired from League of Legends a month ago. I haven't played Starcraft II in forever, but I'll pick it up again when the expansion comes out. I haven't watched anime since I re-watched Golden Boy for the hell of it. Last new thing I saw was Evangelion.

So what have I been doing with all my free time? A sudden fixation on physical fitness and weight training. I've always been in pretty good shape; I've been going to the gym for 10 years now, but for some reason I recently had an overwhelming desire to attain a truly godly physique. I estimated that 20 more pounds of muscle was necessary. So when I'm not working out, I'm doing research. This runs the gamut from studying which exercises are best, how to perform them properly, how many reps/sets are optimal for increasing strength and stimulating hypertrophy, nutrition, watching YouTube videos of a random guy clean & jerking 435 lbs, to watching the 1970s movie "Pumping Iron" which follows Arnold Schwarzenegger. Not that I want to become a body builder myself, but it's still a good movie. Body builders actually looked really good back then, not gross like now. And Arnold says the most hilarious shit in it. So instead of leveling up my hero in League of Legends, I'm leveling up MYSELF.

On top of the weight lifting, biking, and studying, the most time consuming thing of them all is the eating. Much more than I'm used to. I'll make a huge plate of food when I'm not even hungry, then I'll sit there and nurse it for an hour and a half. Why don't I watch anime during this time? Because I refuse to watch something important while eating. I might miss dialogue over the sound of my own chewing, or get distracted by some juicy sausage morsel or something. I'm not one of those people who can read a book while listening to the news at the same time, I need to focus and give the story my complete attention. That's why the only thing I can watch while eating is baseball, or some trashy show that doesn't matter like Pawn Stars.

Once I bulk up to my goal weight of 170 lbs (currently 160), I won't have to try so hard to eat, and the need for research will dry up, after I know everything there is to know. When I achieve that, I'll make finishing Romance of the Three Kingdoms my #1 priority, then I'm thinking Legend of the Legendary Heroes. After that, maybe Karei Naru Ichizoku (it's been on the back burner for a long time, it deserves its due). But who knows, I might find a new obsession along the way. Learning to cook might be next (I've already picked up a few things out of necessity for Project Bulk).

Smoking Gary sez:
"Stay in school kidz"
McSweeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 09:00 AM   #3969
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcsweeney View Post
I've always been in pretty good shape; I've been going to the gym for 10 years now, but for some reason I recently had an overwhelming desire to attain a truly godly physique.
Quote:
But who knows, I might find a new obsession along the way. Learning to cook might be next.
HOOOOOOSAKA! That's pretty funny and cool, actually. With Hosaka for a role model, you're shooting for the stars! That's great.
Quote:
So instead of leveling up my hero in League of Legends, I'm leveling up MYSELF.
This should be the tag line for one of the White House's fitness program posters. I'm serious, this is pretty awesome. hahaha "Instead of leveling up my video game characters, I'm leveling up myself. >3" Appeal to the nerd kids' desire to level up and combine it with their desire to be healthy, be attractive, and be strong. I like it!
Quote:
Once I bulk up to my goal weight of 170 lbs
I'm trying to get below 170 and you're trying to get above it. OTL
Old 05-18-2012, 09:30 AM   #3970
McSweeney
Soul Badge

Actually you know what's funny? So many people blame anime for their problems in life, because they become a fat shut-in and start doing nothing but watch cartoons all day, but for me, it's been nothing but a positive influence. Anime has taught me what it means to be a man, it gave me the desire to be powerful and beautiful, to go out and explore life, to be ambitious ... without the various things I've been inspired by, I'd be a complete loser. I even remember getting jealous of Link when I played Ocarina of Time back in the day. I mean, at least he's doing something with his life.

And yeah, that epiphany of leveling up myself suddenly came to me after a grueling workout session and I really had THE PUMP going. The exact same feeling of satisfaction people get by leveling up their characters in RPGs, and thus becoming addicted to World of Warcraft and the like, I was experiencing right now. Except it's a million times better, because it's actually real, and it's me.
Quote:
I'm trying to get below 170 and you're trying to get above it. OTL
If you ever want some tips on working out, just talk to me. I've accumulated loads of knowledge. It'd be so much better if we knew each other in rl so I could show you exactly what to do and how to perform the exercises, but I could still help you out.

Smoking Gary sez:
"Stay in school kidz"
McSweeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 10:27 AM   #3971
Muyotwo
Dominator of Bike Levels

Don't watch/read Nana. It's awesome, funny, engaging and... then it stops due to the creator going to the hospital and just not writing anymore in the years she's been out- and she left it at a super frustrating place. If she ever comes back to it you would be well advised to check it out, but as it is now save yourself the frustration.
Old 05-18-2012, 10:51 AM   #3972
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Duly noted. I meant to check it out back in the day ('07? '08? whenever the live-action stuff was coming out) but never got around to it.
Old 05-18-2012, 12:33 PM   #3973
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Well this is interesting. And shows what a small world we live in.

1. Was reading about Frogger on Wikipedia.
2. The article mentioned that Frogger's theme song comes from the first verse of the opening theme song to Rascal the Raccoon, an anime from the 1970s.
3. So then I read that article ... and discovered that that anime is apparently, and even according to the Wiki article on raccoons, single-handedly responsible for the introduction of raccoons to Japan ...
4. ... which is what Anyamal Tantei Kiruminzoo talked about in Episode 22.

You can listen to the song here. First verse at around 0m23s. Compare against the video game.
Old 05-18-2012, 01:49 PM   #3974
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I heard bad things about Nana back in the day, but that was from the shounen clique who slub super heavy shoujo.

Quote:
If you ever want some tips on working out, just talk to me. I've accumulated loads of knowledge. It'd be so much better if we knew each other in rl so I could show you exactly what to do and how to perform the exercises, but I could still help you out.
I'll take you up on this, though you have to sign on MSN more often. The physical therapist I saw today who checked out my shoulder + knee said my chronic knee problem was likely due to not doing squats properly, so I wasn't getting full extension and stretching the tendons in that knee.

I don't know if it's true yet, but 1) when I squat I definitely feel that muscle stretch, and 2) I have a history of injury due to improper supervision. I remember telling Mozz warning me about that right before I got wrist damage.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 05-18-2012, 06:03 PM   #3975
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Quote:
I even remember getting jealous of Link when I played Ocarina of Time back in the day. I mean, at least he's doing something with his life.
Same here! ...Only for me it was three years ago. ^^;
lilboocorsola is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime