UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Video Games

Old 06-01-2011, 11:54 AM   #1
Bluejolteon
Boulder Badge

Nostalgia

What games do you feel nostalgia for, those ones you will remember for quite a while?

Pkmon firered: One of the first games i got, i still have the same gameboy advance and cartridge to this day, and yes they work

LOZ majoras mask/ocarina of time: Probably MM a bit more, but both of these games were among my favorite GCN games i owned, MM took a YT guide online to figure out(had to run between 2 rooms every few seconds ) but it was worth it

Super mario sunshine: Probably the very first game i ever played when i was very young, again took a LP/Guide to figure out the blue coins but again worth it

Pkmon Emerald: After fire red i was really exited to get this game and boy oh boy was it fun, i remember taking on lucys milotic and seviper with a Blaziken and attacked it with blaze kick then i got 1 or 2 shotted with Surf

And theres probably a lot more im not mentioning but those were the main ones and this is coming from someone who only had a DS(later a DSI) a GBA and a GCN until 2 years ago.

You talkin to me?

Last edited by Bluejolteon; 06-01-2011 at 01:13 PM.
Bluejolteon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 11:49 AM   #2
ObviousUser2010
Banned

For a second there, I thought you were going to post about the DS game. Then I read your post, and was let down that it wasn't about the DS game of the same name.
ObviousUser2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 10:03 AM   #3
tau
Cascade Badge

Send a message via Skype™ to tau
Nostalgia is a big part of gaming for me, really. I mean, I started out on the NES (we had an Atari 2600, but it was my fathers) and have been playing since, switching sides during console wars and generally being all over the place.

The biggest ones for me are definitely the Mega Man franchise (no way, really? I couldn't tell, mister Protoman avatar,) particularly the X series. Megaman X, the first, was and is to this day one of my all time favorites.

Going back to the NES, Super Mario Bros. 2- you know, the Doki Doki Panic one- was constantly plugged into my NES. I adored it. I got really sick once and spent the better part of a week playing only that one game, and everything from the feel to the music to the character designs just bring back that feeling you get as a kid when you're sitting on a couch, huddled under a blanket, clutching that little NES controller and tossing vegetables at birds.

It's an amazing feeling, and I still go back to it from time to time.

Also Shining Force II was the first SRPG I ever played and it was God damned glorious.
tau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 11:01 AM   #4
kaisap112
Volcano Badge

Nostalgic games? Aside from Pokémon...Final Fantasy 8.

Yes, as much as the rest of the Internet loves to hate it *pokes tau* I love the game from the story (minus Rinoa's existence) to the gameplay to the soundtrack and graphics. It was also the first game ever that I completed on my own without any help from guides or friends and family. My father couldn't even get to the first dungeon and I went through the game at age 11. The rush, my lord. The rush.

This started a love-relationship with Final Fantasies and RPGs in general.

Second nostalgia-favorite, still in the FF-series: Final Fantasy Tactics Advance. The first video game I bought with my very own money at age 12 and fell head-over-heels in love with as fast as with FF8. I even bought the official guide for it and spent years re-drawing the pictures of different races and job classes.

And now, years later, my younger brothers, ages 10 and 11, complain the game is too difficult. It breaks my heart, truly.

So this post doesn't become four pages long, here's a short list of other nostalgic games for me:

-Golden Sun, for GBA. I never got around to finishing the game, but damn it's amazing. I'd buy it if I could.

-Zeldas. I'm just sticking this here, but the biggest of the series for me were Ocarina of Time for N64 (frankly, is there anyone who doesn't adore this game?) and Minish Cap for GBA. MC I did go through with great enjoyment!

-Mario Kart and Diddy Kong Racing for N64. My brother and I had so many fights over these two I lost count, but somehow came back to them time and time again. I got my butt handed to me lots and the few times I won my dear brother (oldest of three, now age 18 ) saw it necessary to turn off the power before any permanent record came out of it. Oh, good times.
Old 08-20-2012, 11:28 AM   #5
tau
Cascade Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaisap112 View Post
Nostalgic games? Aside from Pokémon...Final Fantasy 8.

Yes, as much as the rest of the Internet loves to hate it *pokes tau* I love the game from the story (minus Rinoa's existence) to the gameplay to the soundtrack and graphics.
Hey now girlfriend

I might be a bit outspoken in my dislike for FF8, but I never gave anyone else grief for liking it! Not... not on purpose, anyway. The story just seems silly to me, and Irving is...

We're not getting into that.

In any event, I agree with your view on FFT? I never spent any significant amount of time playing Advance, but I loved the first one on PS1, despite the fact that it took me almost a year to beat it. I may have a love/hate thing going on with Squeenix, but even I'll admit when they get something right.

(Final Fantasy VI <3)
Old 08-20-2012, 01:47 PM   #6
Charminions
Your reality is mine

Excluding Pokemon, I feel pretty nostalgic for Kingdom Hearts. Especially because I've never finished the second game and I ended up selling my copy ;;.
Old 08-20-2012, 04:11 PM   #7
Amras.MG
Not sure if gone...

I feel nostalgia for all Pokemon games up to Ru/Sa, and HGSS. FFTA/FFTA2 and Fire Emblem/Path of Radiance/Radiant Dawn as well.

OH

And Animal Crossing.
Amras.MG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 04:12 PM   #8
DaveTheFishGuy
Primordial Fishbeast

Send a message via Skype™ to DaveTheFishGuy
Super.

Mario.

Land.
DaveTheFishGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 06:46 AM   #9
kaisap112
Volcano Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by tau View Post
Hey now girlfriend

I might be a bit outspoken in my dislike for FF8, but I never gave anyone else grief for liking it! Not... not on purpose, anyway. The story just seems silly to me, and Irvine is...

We're not getting into that.

In any event, I agree with your view on FFT? I never spent any significant amount of time playing Advance, but I loved the first one on PS1, despite the fact that it took me almost a year to beat it. I may have a love/hate thing going on with Squeenix, but even I'll admit when they get something right.

(Final Fantasy VI <3)
FFTA is an honest-to-god masterpiece. You need to play it right now. The whole thing. In one sitting. It's that awesome.

But do keep in mind to stay the hell away from FFTA2. I cannot put into words how extremely disappointed I was with the game in every single aspect. In fact, FFTA2 never happened. Period.
Old 08-22-2012, 06:52 AM   #10
Amras.MG
Not sure if gone...

FFTA2 is an excellent video game as well.

It probably goes FFTA = FFTA2 > FFT for me.
Old 08-22-2012, 07:26 AM   #11
phoopes
Double Dragon

N64:

Never owned one of these myself, but I was at a friends house playing Pokemon Stadium so much that it felt like I owned it.

Gameboy/GBA:

Hmm... I'll probably go with all the Pokemon games up until third gen, with third gen being the most nostalgic for me. Those were my first games, but I had been watching the anime since before I could remember, and had played a little bit of both second and first gen. Also, the first game that I ever had was some Power Rangers game. I forget exactly which title it was, but if I ever find it again, I'll be sure to pick it up. Two Mario games here as well- Super Mario World, and Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga. Had so much fun with them, and still play them occasionally. Finally, I had every Tony Hawk: Pro Skater that came out for GBA. Spent hours and hours on all of them.

Gamecube:

A few big standouts here. Super Smash Brothers Melee is probably the biggest one. Never did get around to unlocking all the characters, but it was wonderful. Mario Kart: Double Dash was another great game. As far as Pokemon games go, Colosseum and XD are some of my favorite games in the series ever. Sports games... Mario Power Tennis and Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour. <3 And finally, while completely different, Luigi's Mansion and Super Mario Sunshine are my favorite games from this system. Very unique, both of them, and it's nice to see Luigi's Mansion getting a sequel. However, the world needs more FLUDD!

PS2:

In addition to that, Sly Cooper, Jak and Daxter, and Rachet and Clank. Those three series for PS2 made up a large part of my childhood. For sports games, I'd say Madden 06 and NHL 08. I have an inside joke about Madden 06 with one of my friends ever after all these years, since we played it for hours and hours and hours. NHL 08 is pretty much the same way. In addition to this, Shadow of the Colossus. 'Nuff said. Finally, my first ever video game on a console system: some Bionicle game that I forget the exact title of.

EDIT: OMG HOW DID I FORGET SONIC HEROES I LOVED YOU.

I'd write stuff about DS, Wii, PS3, and 360, but those feel too new for me to really be nostalgic about them.

Last edited by phoopes; 08-22-2012 at 09:46 AM.
phoopes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 08:53 AM   #12
MarbleZone
Soul Badge

Sonic the Hedgehog, Golden Axe, Comix Zone and Streets of Rage. I loved my Genesis when I was a kid...

Other than that, Jade Cocoon for the PSX. That game was awesome, and probably the longest I've ever played any game in my life. Shame it went pretty much under the radar.
Old 08-22-2012, 09:49 AM   #13
kaisap112
Volcano Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amras.MG View Post
FFTA2 is an excellent video game as well.

It probably goes FFTA = FFTA2 > FFT for me.
I played through it and in the end had the feeling of "wait...was that really it?" since I had a hard time grasping any other motives or backstories for any of the characters in FFTA2 other than pure randomness, not to mention how short the game felt. To help demonstrate my point, here's my comparison of storylines between the two games:

FFTA:

Spoiler: show
Basic Dilemma: Marche is trying his darn hardest to bring the "real world" back, but finds that just about every friend of his he meets along the way - heck, even his own brother! - are very much against this. Which leads to several minor storylines that unravel as the story progresses. Marche ends up debating whether it really would be the right thing to bring the real world back after all...

Mewt: Alright, I admit, the bullied kid who makes himself pretty much king when given the chance sounds like a cliché, but I relate. Very, very heavily. And guess what, Mewt doesn't want to go back to the world where his mother is dead for good, his father is a no-good drunk and Mewt himself is bullied on a daily basis. Do ask yourself: would you?

Ritz: Another bullied kid in the game, which now brings the total to three - Marche is picked on for being the "new kid" in town, Mewt for just about anything and Ritz...because of her hair color. Hearing her say "I want to stay here so my hair stays red" sounds vain at first, but add in the bullying and her own guilt/sadness about her mother, who cried her eyes out dying her daughter's hair everyday for years and years...it makes a whole lot of sense.

Doned: Marche's brother. Going in and out of hospitals and confined to his wheelchair - has been all his life. After the world changes, he actually gets healthy and is able to walk and run around like everybody else. Now imagine the conflict this raises: is it really right to take away Doned's health in the "fake" world just to get him back in the real world, but also back to hospital circulation and his wheelchair? Because "it's the right thing to do"?

Marche: Yes, I've mentioned a couple of issues of his, but to top off the cake of misery, Marche and Doned's parents in the real world are less than an ideal couple or parents for that matter. The dad is alive and well, yes, but constantly at work - when he does come home he spends this time fighting with the mother. The mother is so absorbed in Doned and his problems that Marche is completely ignored and left alone at home. And even after mom and the boys move away from the dad, to Ivalice, Marche is still pretty much on his own. Somehow, despite the opportunity to leave things as they are in the FF-world and having everyone happy, Marche still decides to pursue bringing back the real world.

I personally would compare the setting of this game a problem with mental disorders: depressed and schizophrenic people locking themselves up in their homes and/or heads to escape the awfulness of reality. Health care's answer to this is to do their best to drag these individuals back to the "real world", full of misery and problems. Because "it's the right thing to do". Sound familiar?

And this is only a scratch at the surface, since other characters also have their own stories.

Wow, that's a long one.

FFTA2:

Spoiler: show
Luso: He has friends, a happy family and an overall fun life. Luso gets transported to Ivalica while, for the love of all, being punished for tardiness by *le gasp* the teacher having him clean the library! Can you believe the unfairness, ladies and gentlemen! Luso then tries to get back to the real world. The end.

Adelle: Has an internal conflict regarding her mysterious powers. Since she's from Ivalica herself, there's no plot to return her anywhere.

Cid: Backstory deals with his old ties to a criminal league that left him to die when he tried to get out. After being saved by a judge he realized the value of life and decided to form Clan Gully. Note that all this happens before Luso comes along and the game begins. After that Cid just tries to keep Luso from sticking his sword in his stomach by accident, to put it nicely.

Hurdy: All I could get out of this guy was that he hangs around Clan Gully for no other reason than not having other engagements.

Oh wow tau, I bet you to the villain's part!

I'm fully aware that the FFTA2-section doesn't make it seem like I loved the game, but this is one person's opinion. FFTA2 has neat graphics, I'll give it that, but story-wise? FFTA all the way.

Last edited by kaisap112; 08-22-2012 at 10:31 AM.
kaisap112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 09:55 AM   #14
Tyranidos
beebooboobopbooboobop

Send a message via AIM to Tyranidos Send a message via MSN to Tyranidos
Sonic 3 and Knuckles, various Backyard sports, and Crash Bandicoot.
Old 08-22-2012, 10:02 AM   #15
tau
Cascade Badge

Please do correct me if I'm mistaken, but isn't FFTA the game that introduced random rules that could make a battle un-winnable for you? Like if you have no ranged or magic based units yet, and the game's springing "No Melee Attacks" for that fight, leaving you unable to actually do anything?

I ask out of genuine curiosity, like I said I'm almost entirely unfamiliar with this one, I've just heard some nasty things.

Edit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyranidos View Post
Sonic 3 and Knuckles
(Also, this. So much this. ^^^)
Old 08-22-2012, 10:41 AM   #16
kaisap112
Volcano Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by tau View Post
Please do correct me if I'm mistaken, but isn't FFTA the game that introduced random rules that could make a battle un-winnable for you? Like if you have no ranged or magic based units yet, and the game's springing "No Melee Attacks" for that fight, leaving you unable to actually do anything?

I ask out of genuine curiosity, like I said I'm almost entirely unfamiliar with this one, I've just heard some nasty things.[/SIZE]
They're not actually random - you can check for yourself on the map screen which rules (laws) will be in effect in a battle in Location X on Day X. If you don't like those rules, go around somewhere else, then come back/check the laws again and the suggestions are different. All the laws aren't actually even available from the start of the game, more get added as you progress in the story. There's also anti-law cards, which are used to add and remove laws however you see fit.

Besides, with the job classes that you can change whenever you like (outside battle), combinations of abilities and equipment (also changable) and the rather large number of clan members you can recruit, you have to really work at making the game difficult for yourself. But that would be your fault, not the game's.
Old 08-22-2012, 10:44 AM   #17
tau
Cascade Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaisap112 View Post
words
See, that sounds much more interesting. I'd never heard of the anti-law cards or the fact that you could more or less game the system to get the laws you want in a particular battle.

Alright, well-played, well-played. I shall give this FFTA a shot, then.
Old 08-22-2012, 03:54 PM   #18
Haymez
Decidedly Epic

Send a message via Skype™ to Haymez
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyranidos View Post
Sonic 3 and Knuckles

This game was my favorite way back when. Now I really want to play it again.
Old 08-22-2012, 05:15 PM   #19
Amras.MG
Not sure if gone...

I thought that the jobs and skills, and overall combat mechanics were way better in FFTA2, though the plot is better (and really fucked up) in FFTA.
Old 08-22-2012, 06:40 PM   #20
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

Send a message via Skype™ to Concept
The original Deus Ex gives me a major nostalgia fest, as does FFX and KoTOR. Also Crystal, which I still consistently choose to play despite owning HeartGold.
Concept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 07:10 PM   #21
Slash
Silver LO

Send a message via Yahoo to Slash Send a message via Skype™ to Slash
Jet Set Radio Future on the Xbox. I'd say FFTA but I still regularly play it. PMD: Blue Rescue Team. Legend of Dragoon. Killer Instinct. Breath of Fire's pretty great, too. As well, Harvest Moon 64.
KAIRNE I WILL RIP OFF YOUR SCROTUM AND FEED IT TO YOU THROUGH A FUCKING SWIRLY STRAW.

Slash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 04:57 PM   #22
Sneaze
Mrow?

Pokemon Pinball. I still have and play it, but I'll be damned if I ever finish the Pokedex.

Daisy wins at life for making this Battle Cut
Sneaze is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Video Games