UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON

Old 08-23-2012, 12:19 PM   #1
ChaoticHell83
Boulder Badge

Natures for Golett/Golurk

I'm not battling competitively yet, just making my way through the main story of White and I've noticed that I've had some really horrible nature's for my pokemon. Like really bad, my Archen had lowered speed but raised attack (okay maybe not really bad but still bad) Sawk had lowered attack and raised Sp. def. Darmanitan had lowered attack and raised sp atk. The only mon I've got with an actual beneficial nature has been my Jolly Axew.

So now I'm going after a Golett, and before I invest time into it I want it to not be hinderd by a bad nature. The whole nature system is cool but I feel its kind of dumb and unfair to other people like me and my gf who just want to play casually and not worry about getting a certain nature or stuff like that. I feel bad using certain mon just because I know their nature is bad. It really affected my archen until it evolved, but it seems to be doing oKay now. Still I'm worried about the E4. I've heard natures don't affect the main game very much so maybe im just paranoid, but I feel like it is.

So I've tried finding good natures for my golett but I don't really understand what nature would be most beneficial for it. All my searches turn up is stuff for online competitive battling

Last edited by ChaoticHell83; 08-23-2012 at 12:22 PM.
ChaoticHell83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 12:36 PM   #2
phoopes
Double Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChatoticHell83
So I've tried finding good natures for my golett but I don't really understand what nature would be most beneficial for it. All my searches turn up is stuff for online competitive battling
Well, online competitive battling sites can be great resources for finding beneficial natures and the like. Things like Smogon and other places can help you learn about battling, both competitive and casual.

As for Golett/Golurk, if you want a physical attacker, I'd suggest an Adamant nature, raising its attack and lowering its special attack. This would help capitalize on Golurk's great base attack stat of 124, while lowering its already bad base special attack stat of 55. It would help you maximize the power of Golurk's physical attacks, since you'd most likely want to be using them anyway. Alternatively here, if you want to use a Jolly nature, that wouldn't be bad either, since it would raise Golurk's speed while lowering its special attack. However, if you do get one with a Jolly nature, I'd recommend giving it Rock Polish, as even with a beneficial nature, Golurk won't be outspeeding much.

Alternatively, on the defensive side of things, a Golurk with either an Impish or Careful nature works as well. While not the greatest wall, Golurk still can take hits from either side of the spectrum well with its base 80 defenses and 89 HP, especially if it has a beneficial nature in either one of those. Impish would increase Golruk's defense while decreasing its special attack, while Careful would increase its special defense while decreasing special attack as well.

Even though Golurk isn't great competitively, in casual battling it's quite fun to use in my opinion. Hope I helped. Was hard for me not to go off on a purely competitive tangent here, haha.
Old 08-23-2012, 04:10 PM   #3
Haymez
Decidedly Epic

Send a message via Skype™ to Haymez
Low speed high attack Archen is bad bcos ability. Speed required.

As for Golurk, Adamant is you're best bet. I'd run EQ and shadow punch with Iron fist. Other two moves would be best if they were punching moves.
Old 08-23-2012, 04:30 PM   #4
Talon87
時の彼方へ

If you can allow it to not concern you, then honestly during Story Mode most of the natures don't impact you that that badly. An Archen with a -Spd nature who gets 252 EVs to the speed stat will probably do just as well as an Archen with a 0Spd or +Spd nature who gets 200 or 150 EVs to those same stats. [/made-up numbers, math may not come out exactly right] Natures take your final stats and then modify them by -10%, 0%, or +10%. During Story Mode, where your levels are usually beneath 50 for most of the adventure, if you can manage to max out the Speed EVs early enough, that Archen is going to be way faster than even a +Spd nature Archen would be as wielded by a child with no knowledge of EVs.

Of course, I can't allow it to not concern me. ^^; Drives me crazy to play with a Pokemon who has the wrong nature or who has the right nature but whose IVs are so low that they're visibly lower than some other member's of the same species whose own nature is a bad nature. (Like this one time I had a +SpAtt Pokemon and his -SpAtt friend, same species same level, had a higher SpAtt than he did. -.-; ) But if you can allow it to not concern you, then don't allow it to concern you, I would say. ^_^
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 06:39 PM   #5
ChaoticHell83
Boulder Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
If you can allow it to not concern you, then honestly during Story Mode most of the natures don't impact you that that badly. An Archen with a -Spd nature who gets 252 EVs to the speed stat will probably do just as well as an Archen with a 0Spd or +Spd nature who gets 200 or 150 EVs to those same stats. [/made-up numbers, math may not come out exactly right] Natures take your final stats and then modify them by -10%, 0%, or +10%. During Story Mode, where your levels are usually beneath 50 for most of the adventure, if you can manage to max out the Speed EVs early enough, that Archen is going to be way faster than even a +Spd nature Archen would be as wielded by a child with no knowledge of EVs.

Of course, I can't allow it to not concern me. ^^; Drives me crazy to play with a Pokemon who has the wrong nature or who has the right nature but whose IVs are so low that they're visibly lower than some other member's of the same species whose own nature is a bad nature. (Like this one time I had a +SpAtt Pokemon and his -SpAtt friend, same species same level, had a higher SpAtt than he did. -.-; ) But if you can allow it to not concern you, then don't allow it to concern you, I would say. ^_^
Haha, yes well unfortunately I'm exactly the same. I feel like I've got OCD or something it bothers me so much. I figured it wouldn't affect too much, but when my Archen was consistently being outsped every match I went into (albeit story mode matches) and being KO'd without much trouble I got pretty frustrated. Luckily once it evolved it sped up considerably, and I gave it a couple EVs in Speed. I don't have a clue how much, I just slapped on the macho brace and took out like 20 or so Joltiks. Didn't keep count, but it should have a bit, and thus far it's been outspeeding everything so I'm happy with it now.

As for my Golurk dilemma I, somehow, caught 4 Lax natured Goletts in a row, and then right after got a Quirky and a Docile one. Seeing a trend beginning to appear I decided to just run with the Quirky one. I'm pretty sure it's Quirky anyway, it doesn't appear to have any dominant stat, and I'd prefer to not try catching a tonne of Goletts like I did with my Axew (Nightmares of catching 40+ Axew's come to mind when I ponder it). So, the Quirky little robot is faring alright so far. Perhaps after I beat the story I'll try my hand at competitive battling. I always found the IV and EV things, coupled with the Natures to be kind of overwhelming. I remember trying to breed IVs for a Lucario and really had no idea what I was doing. I must've hatched a hundred of the damn things in Platinum with little to no visible increase in their stats.

Clearly, I'm doing it wrong. So I'll have to study it a bit more or something, see if my simple, dumb mind can make sense of it.

ChaoticHell83 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON