UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Entertainment

Old 12-15-2013, 12:13 PM   #1876
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Lil' Bluey

Episode 05:

Spoiler: show
New song yay! I'LL MAKE A HORSE OUT OF YOU.

Also RD is rapidly rising in my pony rankings.
lilboocorsola is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 12:15 PM   #1877
RaichuRocks
My Thoughts Protect You

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbluecorsola View Post
I liked episode 04.

Despite it being a Dash-centric episode, it was pretty fun. Daring Do was a cool character (loved her voice). And I could relate to Dash in a few ways.
I liked it too

Chiara Zanni did her voice. Inuyasha voices of Yura of the Demon Hair and Hakudoshi
Old 12-23-2013, 06:57 PM   #1878
Razor Raven
Lonely Demon Slayer

A bunch of TwilightxTrixie shipping fanart has popped up suddenly during the Christmas Season. I weep for humanity. Also for poor Twilight.

I still haven't watched the latest episodes. I didn't particularly enjoy Season 3, which is why I hesitate. Still, if it's the entirety of the Mane Six together, that's promising.

Quote:

Did you read all the way to the end?
....Absolutely, of course I did *Liarjack face*
Razor Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 02:30 AM   #1879
RaichuRocks
My Thoughts Protect You

something someone pointed out from the last eppy:

Old 02-03-2014, 11:04 AM   #1880
Razor Raven
Lonely Demon Slayer

Welp, I still haven't watched Season 4, but I fairly recently got some inspiration, but before I do that, I'm giving my Initial Impressions from what little I know.

Princess Twilight Sparkle: On one hand, i'm hopeful Hasbro will actually go somewhere with the whole "Alicorn Princess thing". On the other hand, "Good" Discord is present, and I've heard Celestia and Luna get worfed again. I'll maintain a neutral stance.

Castle-mania: I can't find anything about this episode that do not appear to be major spoilers, so maintaining neutrality for now.

Daring Don't: So Daring Do is real AND the author of her own stories? Will the episode itself be Strike Three? I'm not very hopeful regarding this one.

Flight to the Finish: Sounds like a Rainbow Dash episode, or is it the episode that addresses Scootaloo's flying that I've heard so little about? *Crosses fingers*

Power Ponies: Is this some sort of Power Rangers parody? This could be fun. I'm in two minds about Megan Mcarthy, she's written some great episodes, but she's also responsible for what I think are some of the biggest pitfalls in the show, and "Canterlot Wedding" really hurt my faith in this show. I'm willing to give her the benefit of a doubt though, and if memory serves, I tend to like Charlotte Fullerton episodes.

Bats!: I give Merriwether Williams more credit than most do, ESPECIALLY as she's not the only one who has ever written a bad MLP episode. I'm cautiously optimistic.

Rarity Takes Manhattan: I'm not the biggest fan of Dave Polsky's episodes, but by no means am I pessimistic, I'm actually rather curious.

Pinkie Apple Pie: Pinkie MAY be related to Applejack? On one hand, two of the Mane Six being related adds some interesting depth. On the other hand...I really don't know, maybe this will work.

Rainbow Falls: I haven't really heard anything about this episode, so I have no idea what to think. Yes, I'm doing my best to avoid spoilers.

Threes a Crowd: ...I have no idea what's going on here.

Those are the episodes that have aired at the time of this post, as for future episodes:

Pinkie Pride: ...I tend to be unhappy with Pinkie Pie focused episodes written by Amy Keeting Rogers, so I can't say I'm looking forward to this one.

Simple Ways: Rarity tries to act like Applejack? On one hand this sounds hilarious, on the other, it sounds like a standard: "Be yourself!" episode which you'd think would be in Season 1

Filli Vanilli: Umm, something about Fluttershy and extreme measures? I have no idea.

Twilight Time: An episode focusing on Twilight's friendship with the Cutie Mark Crusaders? Sold!

It Ain't Easy Being Breezies: I have heard approximately nothing about this episode, so I honestly have no clue how to feel.
Old 02-03-2014, 11:32 PM   #1881
Muyotwo
Dominator of Bike Levels

Bats! is probably the best ep Merriwether had done, as though there were some fairly out-of-character moments that typify a Williams episode there wasn't anything so egregious that it warranted her being banished and then thrown in a dungeon in the place that she was banished to. She's still on average the worst writer on the show by miles, but she may be improving.

Overall it's been a fairly solid season so far, there have been a couple of episodes I didn't really care for, but even they're worth another viewing now and again.

Current pony power rankings:
1. Pinkie Pie
2. Fluttershy
3. Rarity
4. Applejack
5. Twilight Sparkle
6. Rainbow Dash

Only minor changes, but congrats to Twilight for getting out of the basement. Sorry Dashie, even ignoring s2 Merriwether eps as I do I can't justify keeping you at #5.
Old 02-05-2014, 11:14 AM   #1882
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Lil' Bluey

One thing I've noticed about the new season's songs is that the lyrics seem kinda... Weak? Anyone else feel that way?

Pinkie Apple Pie and Pinkie Pride's in particular. (Funny how they're both Pinkie eps. Although the first one focused more on the Apple family.)
Old 02-09-2014, 02:06 AM   #1883
Slash
Silver LO

Send a message via Yahoo to Slash Send a message via Skype™ to Slash
So, I finally watched Equestria Girls. I was actually impressed. I found it pretty solid.
Slash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 05:06 PM   #1884
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Lil' Bluey

Equestria Girls sequel preview:

BORKED
Old 02-16-2014, 03:08 AM   #1885
AshsBabyLapras
reason for my life

Lapras

So we just watched Filli Vanilli... I can't stop squeeing. It was very nearly perfect. I may actually have a new favourite episode. <3
AshsBabyLapras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 02:56 PM   #1886
Razor Raven
Lonely Demon Slayer

Man, I am the biggest procrastinator, I've only watched three episodes of Season 4 x.x;

Oh well, time for a couple reviews:

Princess Twilight Sparkle

Princess Twilight: First off, I really like the new opening theme. Mainly including the Apples, Mayor Mare, Sweetie Belle, Scootaloo, Zecora, and the Cakes, though Snips and Snails were a surprise, plus having Luna standing next to Celestia and the both of them looking at Twilight’s letter, very nice touch. As for the episode itself: The first half had those “little” moments that really make the show, such as Twilight saying she feels like she’s missing something and immediately getting a letter from Pinkie saying she’s not missing anything. Also Celestia saying she’ll always be there if Twilight needs her, and adding that she hopes Twilight will be there if Celestia needs her and then nuzzling Twilight. D’awwwww. I’m also really happy we got to see flashbacks of Celestia vs Luna/Nightmare Moon and Celestia and Luna vs Discord. I had a few issues: First off, Twilight kind of came off as a Distressed Damsel a couple times, but the first time happened really quickly, and even when she was a badass in the past she had moments of uncertainty, so I’ll chalk it down to her not having her wits about her yet, and the second time actually made sense. No matter how powerful a sorceress you are, you can’t concentrate on your magic if you can’t breath, and they DID seem to catch her off guard, so no big deal here. I heard Celestia and Luna were worfed, but since it was the Tree of Harmony, I suppose it was a power beyond even them, so that’s not a major issue. My major complaint is with Discord, his presence her was rather pointless except as mean-spirited comic relief. He’s not as funny as he was before, and Pinkie works much better as a comic relief character because unlike Discord she’s not an asshole. Overall, I thought this was a really good start to the new season: It was dark and epic, it had those special little moments, Luna got screen time, and we got some backstory. Granted, Discord was responsible for this whole mess, which was nicely foreshadowed, but I’m sure they could have come up with another way.
My only real issue Discord, and admittedly Megan McCarthy was working with elements already present. Other than that, this is the happiest I’ve been with an episode since Mid-Season 2.

Castle-Mania

Castlemania: Other than Twilight’s tactless behavior toward Spike (Would have liked to see her trademark kindness a couple times) this was probably the most enjoyable episode I’ve seen in a long time, and the “keeping a journal” thing wasn’t as bad as I had heard it was, although I do hope this isn’t an excuse to give Celestia less screen time. I also love that not only was Angel nice to Fluttershy, the one other pony he’s nice to is Twilight. Characterization was mostly spot on, I think, and it was really funny to watch.

Quote:
Equestria Girls sequel preview:

BORKED
As long as there's no Twilight x Flash Sentry, I'm on board with this.

I see they're using the unnamed characters from the first movie two, interesting. I recognize Unnamed Girl #2 (The Fashonista with the blue hair and the glasses on her head)
Old 02-22-2014, 02:49 PM   #1887
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Lil' Bluey

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshsBabyLapras View Post
So we just watched Filli Vanilli... I can't stop squeeing. It was very nearly perfect. I may actually have a new favourite episode. <3
Big Mac should sing more often.
Old 03-02-2014, 11:11 AM   #1888
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Lil' Bluey

Yesterday's episode was pretty good. Probably my favorite of the season so far.

The ending almost made me a bit emotional. It's rare I get feels for the series, and not since season 3's finale. D'aw at the baby Breezey.
Old 03-12-2014, 04:51 PM   #1889
Razor Raven
Lonely Demon Slayer

Bah, I am still so far behind, I keep losing my inspiration to sit through 22 minutes of cuteness for some reason >>

I might as well do some reviews:

Daring Don't:

I...can't say I cared for this episode. The first half was too slow for my tastes, and too much Fluttershy being forced into Rainbow Dash's company. In the second half...well, Daring Do herself. I was pretty into the idea of Twilight's mom being the writer of the Daring Do series, so the author being the real life Daring Do herself didn't sit well with me

From the "Crowning Moment of Awesome" Page: "AK Yearling really is Daring Do, writing books based on her real exploits while Clark Kenting as your everyday author. This leads to as much awesomeness as you'd expect."

No, you know what would have been awesome? Introducing a Mane Six parent and giving them depth and personality. Not to mention that if Twilight really is an aristocrat like many of us suspect, this would mean that Twilight's mom is an aristocrat who, wait for it, contributes to society! Instead we get what is basically a Rainbow Dash clone without the in-depth personality that makes Dash an interesting character. A one note character without much depth can work just fine, provided they aren't a copy of an already existing character. Granted, Pinkie painting a line where they were going was funny, as was Rainbow out-geeking Twilight, plus the fight scene at the end was fairly cool. However, much like: "The Last Roundup", a few good moments does not a good episode make. Plus, why would Daring Do write about her exploits and possibly give her enemies a clue on how to find her?

Flight to the Finish:

Not the most entertaining episode, but I'd still say a great one, due to the character development. Seeing the Crusaders shrugging of DT and SS's insults was pretty awesome, and I loved how the Crusaders thought the best way to represent Ponyville was to show the harmony between the three pony tribes, not to mention Scootaloo saying: "Us!" instead of "Me!" like the other kids. Also, seeing DT and SS pretty much admit they don't have much ammo against the Crusaders was pretty nifty.

Plus the revelation that Scootaloo is NOT homeless alone was worth the episode. On the downside, seeing only one of the Mane Six was pretty jarring after the previous four episodes, and I was disappointed when Apple Bloom turned against Scootaloo. I was hoping it was reverse psychology or something to that effect, and once Scootaloo rejoined just to prove her wrong, Apple Bloom would say something like: "Thank Celestia you said that, I wasn't sure how long I could keep talking like a jerk." At least she changed her mind almost immediately afterwards.

Power Ponies

I think Twilight was less awesome than she deserved to be, but this was otherwise a great episode. The big sister / mother behavior by Twilight toward Spike in the beginning was wonderful, and hopefully episodes like this one remind the Overzealous Spike fans that just because they don't fawn over him every episode doesn't mean they don't appreciate him. I didn't find Mane-iac to be that memorable a villain, but then she does come from a cheesy comic book. I don't think we've had a good villain since the Flim Flam Brothers....

Bats

Hmm, I don't really think this episode was anything special, but it wasn't bad. Honestly, I find myself more unhappy with Dave Polksy's episode than Merriwether Williams
Old 03-15-2014, 04:44 PM   #1890
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Lil' Bluey

Today's episode rocked. Maud is a cutie pie. <333

Last edited by lilboocorsola; 03-15-2014 at 10:25 PM.
Old 03-16-2014, 08:06 PM   #1891
Muyotwo
Dominator of Bike Levels

I was a big fan of Saturday's episode as well, I thought it had a nice message and Maud was very amusing.
Old 03-19-2014, 10:04 AM   #1892
ajnrules
Boulder Badge

Glurp

Whoo! I decided to come visit my first online community for the first time in almost four years, and boy am I glad I did because it's great to see that the bronies are well represented here at UPNetwork. I've been bronying it up for a while now, but after reading through all 76 pages worth of posts, I can safely say that many of you out-brony me. But oh well. Considering I've made only one post since 2009, and that was before the show even debuted, might as well go through some stuff about me as a fan. Hopefully this can generate some more excitement in this thread. Of course I'm probably going to talk about a whole lot of topics so a lot of it will be in spoiler mode. And you'll have to forgive if a lot of what I'm writing is incoherent, considering I'm writing this with very little sleep. (Ah, gotta love intern year.)

Who am I again?
Hmm. I guess it's been so long that I've been here that this may be necessary. I was very active on Jaxel's first UPNetwork forums way back in 1999-2000, posting as both ajnrules and irlanalri2. I was best known for my love of Misty and my namesake AJN along with my escapades with Tea (Misty's TeaR) and halloweenjack. For some reason I was named the president of the Misty Lover's Club, although I acted only as a figurehead because the last thing I wanted to do was get involved with the drama. My most famous post may have been "Do you think Ash like Misty?" My typo in leaving off the "s" still bothers me almost 15 years later. Since the original UPNetwork forums died my activity dried up as well as I moved away from the Pokemon fandom, but I still came around some in Lindsay and Kuno's forums until I eventually stopped coming after 2010.

Obligatory Brony Story
I watched G1 as a kid, but never really became a big fan and was completely out of the loop for My Little Pony Tales and G3, and when I first heard about Friendship is Magic I was surprised they were still making the new show. I had some friends that were fans, but never really got into it until the hiatus between Season 2 and Season 3 (so yes, I got into the fandom pretty late) when I saw it was on Netflix and decided to watch it while playing The Sims 3. I started watching it and soon I was focusing on the episodes because it was just so gosh darned entertaining. I ended up finishing the first two episodes in four days and I was essentially hooked. I initially thought I would eventually lose interest like many of the other fads I've gotten into, but it's been a year and a half now and my fascination is still growing strong.

Mane Six
6. Pinkie Pie - I guess she's kind of grown on me, but I couldn't stand her personality when I first watched the show. However, I've learned to appreciate a lot of the versatility in her character when it comes to storytelling, how she's become the go-to pony for a lot of the more slapstick Looney Tunes-like humor, but there are still moments that bug me, like when she repeatedly went against her manta in tormenting poor Fluttershy in Filli Vanilli

5. Rarity - I initially disliked Rarity as well, as I couldn't stand her vanity, but then on rewatching I got a kick out of her over the top, drama queen moments like in Suited for Success and Lesson Zero. I also learned to appreciate how she managed to reach the fine line between narcissism and generosity. I still don't quite like her like Spike does, although I will admit that Rarispike / Sparity is my favorite ship.

4. Twilight Sparkle - She usually switches places with Fluttershy, but at the moment she occupies #4 on the list, not for any fault of her own but just because she isn't quite as interesting to me as the other three. I guess she's like Chiyo in Azumanga Daioh. She already wins in life but still strives to become better.

3. Fluttershy - If anything Fluttershy is the pony I identify with the most. Usually incredibly shy and demure, but does have that fiery side of her buried within. She keeps it under much better control than I do.

2. Applejack - If I had to pick a best pony it would be Applejack. Yes, Twilight Sparkle's got the right to be the newest alicorn princess and has matured a lot since freaking out in Lesson Zero, and Applejack does have an intense stubborn streak that has caused some problems at times, but in my opinion Applejack does seem to be the most well balanced of the ponies. She's selfless, hard-working, caring, wise and mature beyond her years, and also pretty danged awesome. And this says it better than I ever could.

1. Rainbow Dash - Yes, Rainbow Dash is not only my favorite among the Mane Six, but she's my favorite pony of all (more on that later.) Interestingly enough when I watched the show the first time through she was closer to the bottom than to the top. Her egotistical ways and bravado really bugged me, especially in the Mysterious Mare Do Well episode. However, upon rewatching I gradually grew to like her. Sure, she does have more of an ego than Rarity, but she can actually back it up with her amazing flight abilities. And maybe because I find the badass types of characters more appealing, but I do find Rainbow Dash to be the prettiest pony of them all, not that she'd ever admit to it. At any rate, she jumped Applejack to become my favorite pony about a month after I became a fan and has held tight to that top spot ever since. And since she I essentially decided to focus on Rainbow Dash for my collection so as to not overwhelm myself, but as you should quickly see it really hasn't saved me much. Oh, and Rainbow Dash did do what I thought was nigh impossible: She got me to get over Misty.

Ten Favorite Characters (Overall)
10. Derpy - Octavia and Lyra have surpassed Derpy as my favorite background pony, but I still like Derpy. Her character still resonates with me, and I like the fanon depiction of her as a hard worker and a dedicated mother. I just wish the fandom doesn't fangasm over her all the time.

9. Spike - I was originally going to do "ten favorite ponies" but then that meant I would have had to leave out Spike, who already gets left out enough. He's a versatile character that can serve as the straight man or comic relief, but no matter what he's always out there busting his balls being the best assistant he can possibly be. Also, Sparity / Rarispike forever!

8. Big Macintosh - The most prominent stallion in the series, I've liked Big Macintosh for his quiet but rock-steady dependability. His classic one-word statement belies a deep line of thinking, one that was perfectly captured in the third arc in the comic strip. Plus I loved the many wonderful surprising moments with him, from the switcheroo with Applejack in Ponyville Confidential to his role in the Ponytones in Filli Vanilli. Doesn't hurt that I was able to have a fairly deep conversation with Peter New about the nature of ethnicity and humanity.

7. Twilight Sparkle - see above
6. Fluttershy - see above

5. Octavia - A lot of people seem to like DJ-Pon3 among the musical ponies, but I personally prefer Octavia, with her air of elegance combined with a sense of mystery.

4. Lyra - I liked Derpy when I first got into the fandom, but after seeing the fanon character I soon gravitated to her more. It helps that Anthropology is one of my favorite fanfics. Plus I really like her mint green color scheme, and her milkshake guzzling appearance in Magic Duel.

3. Scootaloo - I guess it ties into me liking all things awesome, but Scootaloo is clearly the most awesome of the Cutie Mark Crusaders what with her daring scooter antics. I will admit that most awesome does not necessarily mean best, but I will say that I feel that her inability to fly in spite of her hero worship of Rainbow Dash as well as her yet unexplored family situation makes her one of the most sympathetic characters in the fanon.

2. Applejack - see above
1. Rainbow Dash - see above

Ten Favorite Episodes
10. Party of One - This episode was great for watching Pinkie Pie expose her dark side. It was a bit painful to see the other characters' evasion and watching Pinkie ensnare herself with her own biases in the Spike interrogation scene, but the Pinkamena party scene is a masterpiece. I just love the splatter backgrounds and the tilting cameras as she gets more psychologically unhinged. I'm not sure how they got serial killer Pinkamena from this but it's still a great episode.

9. Pinkie Apple Pie - It's more of an Apple family episode, but Pinkie Pie's got the best moments from her scrapbooking to her selfies (duck face) to her seeming obliviousness (but really...she knows all.) The episode flows with a spontaneity that never quite gets out of hand, and the lesson about being a family is presented very well. Plus, Apples to the Core.

8. Read It and Weep - I guess this is ranked here in the top ten because I'm such a Rainbow Dash fanboy, and this is Rainbow Dash at her most interesting. I just love how she is torn between keeping up with her public persona, one that she holds so dear to her, to her burgeoning love of the Daring Do series. (I'm still not convinced that she reads anything unrelated to Daring Do.) The action-packed Daring Do sequence are a nice diversion, but really it's Rainbow's antics that keep my attention through this episode.

7. Dragonshy - If anything this is the episode that really convinced me that I'll like the show. The first six episodes were nice, but I really found myself enjoying Dragonshy, particularly the A-team homage scene. Fluttershy was great with the way she asserted herself to the dragon, I wonder why she doesn't do it more often (like after Mane-iac hurts her friends in Power Ponies).

6. May the Best Pet Win - Rainbow Dash may be a bit aggressive in this one, and it seems like she didn't really learn the right lesson (Tank won not because he was tenacious, even though he was. He won because he stopped to help Rainbow Dash, which I felt should have been the lesson there, kind of like a Good Samaritan story type of deal.) Nevertheless, I still get a kick out of watching how things turn out. And Tank is best pet.

5. Friendship is Magic Part 1 - Dragonshy may have been the episode that got me hooked, but I love going back to watch this episode more. I loved the way the episode is written, how each character is introduced and all of the witty lines.

4. Sleepless in Ponyville - Yes, those slapstick moments and Rarity's treatment of Sweetie Belle and the added ending after the inspirational Rainbow Falls scenes were kind of meh, but the thrust of the episode more than makes up for that. It was about time for some Scootalove, and the episode really delivers by showing off her longings for acceptance by her hero and her struggles in admitting to her fears while maintaining her persona. Rainbow Dash also gets to show off a more mature and gentle side of her in the reassurance and acceptance scene. And Luna is great in her limited role.

3. Cutie Mark Chronicles - This probably gets my vote for best episode, even if it may not be my favorite (gee, where have we seen that before.) I just love how the episode was able to show off the back-stories of our beloved Mane Six and dig deeper into their lives; to see the events that molded their characters. The structuring of the episode with the Cutie Mark Crusaders as a bridge is also very nice.

2. Suited for Success - This is the episode that really warmed me up to Rarity, at least on re-watch. The portrayal of her struggle with the dissonance of her vision and trying to please her friends really lends depth to her character, and her freakout scene really shows off her over the top nature, which I really like about her. Art of the Dress is still my favorite song in the entire show, and the final fashion show sequence is one of the most exhilarating. I really love the gala fashions (especially Rainbow Dash's, thus my avatar) and it's a damned shame they get destroyed in the season finale. Still really love this episode, though.

1. Lesson Zero - Okay, I know there's a divided opinion on this episode, with Talon being on the side that really despises it and all that it stands for. I always respect his opinion, but I will be on the opposite side this time. I love this episode precisely because it pushes Twilight to the limit, and her reactions are just golden. It reminds me of my sister, who even though she's a straight A student also freaks out about meeting her high expectations when it comes to school. Needless to say, I've shown this episode to her a couple of times. But it's not just Twilight that I love in this. Everypony is just so outlandishly outrageous that it's a pleasure at every corner: from Rarity's drama to Rainbow Dash's rainbow mushroom cloud to Fluttershy doing OMM on Harry the Bear. (As a DO I really appreciate that joke.) A lot of the self-referential visual gags are great as well. There's just a lot of fun to be had through and through.

Five Favorite Songs
5. Opening Theme - Yes, I know the opinion is torn on the theme. I too didn't really like it when I first saw it, but the more I heard it the more and more it grew on me until now it's one of my five favorite songs. Perhaps it's a microcosm of my growth as a brony.

4. Raise This Barn - Applejack never had but bit parts in songs previously, which was strange because Ashleigh Ball is quite an accomplished musician. And then came her big debut, which may hit all the southern stereotypes in the book, but is also highly fun and catchy tune. Racist barn!

3. Find a Pet - I initially didn't really like the song, since I found the lyrics to be pretty forced, but the song later grew on me, possibly because I played the Gameloft game too damned much (more on that later) and this song figured prominent in the BGM. Now I enjoy the back and forth between Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash, and I find myself singing along.

2. Becoming Popular (The Pony Everypony Should Know) - I'll admit that even though Rarity may not be one of my favorite ponies, I do love her songs. (Except Generosity. That never clicked with me.) I love the way this song unfolds and how well it ties in with the action onscreen. The only issue I have is that it ended a bit too abruptly.

1. Art of the Dress - Okay, a lot of what makes the song great is the strength of the original song from Sunday in the Park with George, but Daniel Ingram's treatment really fits Rarity. I love the differences between the light and easy first part and her desperation in the reprise. And it's got the immortal "20% cooler" line, which probably drops the song down a notch in most people's eyes, but as a Rainbow Dash fanboy I love it!

Ten Favorite Fan Videos
One of my favorite things about the fandom is the unbridled creativity, especially in the field of fan-made music videos and animations. One of the first things I did after finishing the series was watch Pony: The Anthology, and since then I've been a big fan of fan animation. I used to like voting in TheMovieBrony / jhaller's top 10 videos list, although I haven't had much time to do so lately. Still, I like watching fan videos. Here are my ten favorite, in no particular order.

[PMV] Dork - This was one that popped up shortly after I became a fan, and I love the slick design. Sure, a lot of it was taken from another animation, but the way it was merged with the ponies and the representation of their cutie marks really wowed me.

Rainbow Dash Stole the 20% Cooler Thing - A Touhou + Pony mashup. I love this video because if anything this was the video that drove me to become a Rainbow Dash fan. I loved how they used actual voice samples, and the images used in the video really showed me just how awesome and pretty Rainbow Dash can be.

Derpy's Perfect Math Class - Another Touhou + Pony mashup. The way they animated everything to fit in with the pony theme was great, even if a lot of it was inspired by the original video. The video also seemed to capture the essence of the drama revolving around Derpy from two years ago.

Dash's Determination - Most of my favorite videos were original animation, but as far as pony music videos go I think this is one of the best, although that may be just the Rainbow Dash fanboy in me talking. I love how the video starts out with showing Rainbow Dash being a badass, awesome flyer before its sudden shift to address her underlying insecurities and ultimate redemption. In that way it plays out like a story. The editing is top-notch, and I love the music as well.

Picture Perfect Pony Official Music Video Animation - This was posted earlier in the thread, but I still love the video. The song is great, and of course JanAnimation is fantastic. He captures the style and feel of the show so well.

My Little Pony in The Sims - Episode 1 - the Hooves Family - I love these videos because it takes me back to ten years ago when I'd spend hours upon hours playing The Sims. I haven't played the original Sims since I got The Sims 3 five years ago (June 3, 2009) but I'd love to play a pony version of the Sims. The videos really captured the chaos of taking care of your Sims.

My Little Pony in The Sims - Episode 2 - Octavia and Vinyl Scratch - see above

A Tropical Octav3 Animation (Instrumental) - I'm not sure how Octavia and DJ-Pon3 got paired together, but they're a cute couple. The original Tropical Octav3 video with dancing ponies came out shortly after I became a fan and was cute. So when I saw the video by AnimatedJames that turned their cast away adventure into a full animation I was hooked. Unfortunately the original video had the hip-hop version which I didn't really like, but good thing somebody combined it with the original instrumental version.

Pokemon Re-enacted by Ponies - Pokemon and My Little Pony. What more could you ask for? Great gags all around.

Two Best Sisters Play - PKMN Snap - The Two Sisters play videos have gained quite a following, but the first three videos in the series kind of left me in the dark. It seemed like they just animated Luna and Celestia in with the screenshots. However, I felt this video really transcended the source by transporting the characters into the Pokemon Snap world with hilarious additions such as using Apple products and lots of great original cutaways. Plus it's Pokemon Snap! One of the most classic games for the Nintendo SIXTY FOOOOOUR!

Collection
As I said earlier, my love for Rainbow Dash has led me to focus my collection of Rainbow Dash items. I thought that it may cut down on the things I have to collect, but as one of the most popular ponies Rainbow Dash has a loooooot of merchandise. I don't think I'll ever have a complete collection, but I've probably spent more on ponies than I have on any other interests of mine, video games included. To date I've spent at least $2,000 if you consider collectables as well as costs for conventions (more on that later.)

Well, this is the the majority of my collection. As you can clearly tell it's heavy on the Rainbow. Blind bags, official Hasbro toys, Enterplay cards, Funko POP, IDW comic stuff, and plushies (Aurora, Funrise, NICI, Welovefine, Build-a-Bear, and fanmade). That painting is probably the best sign that I'm a helpless Rainbow Dash fanboy and cosumer whore. It was part of the IDW Limited comic release of the Return of Queen Chrysalis arc last fall, and the super-exclusive Blue Label included an exclusive painting by Sara Richard. They had an album of all the paintings and when I saw they had one of Rainbow Dash in her gala dress, I knew I had to have it as long as it was <$1,000. When I saw the cost was $650, I didn't hesitate to buy it and send an e-mail to IDW requesting that particular painting. And now it figures prominently in my collection.

More stuff. There's the IDW comic itself, more enterplay cards, that weird Funko cupcake figurine, a shadowbox of Rainbow Dash Gala (of course) by Paper-Ponies that I got at Nightmare Night Dallas, and an autographed pic of Rainbow Dash that a friend got for me. Some other non-Rainbow Dash stuff included a barf bag autographed by "Wootie" Wootton from the Nightmare Night Dallas auction, and a Japanese copy of Layton vs. Wright I have yet to open.

Even more stuff because it won't fit on the other places anymore: a Twinkle Star Lights plushie by Funrise, and a couple of Funko figurines. Yes, I had to get both the regular and the transparent figures, and had to get both the regular and the black Funko Minis.

It's not all Rainbow Dash for me. I really like the Funko figurines and have gotten the complete collection so far. I once tried to do a comic series with these figurines, but I got lazy and it never went anywhere.

Autographs

I have been and will always be an autograph whore, whether it's baseball or My Little Pony voice actors. So far I've gotten Peter New, Michelle Creber, Brenda Crichlow (Zecora), Matt Hill (Soarin), Kelly Metzger (Spitfire), Sam Vincent (Flim), Trevor Devall (Hoity Toity / Fancypants / Iron Will), as well as show staff "Wootie Wootton", Jayson Thiessen, MA Larson, and Big Jim Miller. I do have Cathy Weseluck, but a friend got that for me because I was down in Houston during A-kon getting Tom Glavine's autograph. Like I said, autograph whore.

This is probably my pride and joy: my collection of Mane Six voice actresses, one the Dark Mansion poster (because it is so amazingly adorable.) So far I've only gotten Ashleigh Ball, Tabitha St. Germaine, and Andrea Libman. I'm hoping to get Tara Strong at Babscon. Once I get that I'll frame this and put it up over my bed.

Comics
So...I noticed that the comics by IDW was brought up only...maybe once...in this entire thread, which is too bad because I really like the IDW comics. It's the first time that I've actually gone to the comic book store to get comics every single month. I've got every single issue so far. I like how we get to explore the world of Equestria or on the lives of some of the more secondary characters in a little more depth with these comics. Yeah, the comic strips kind of bucks canon at some points, but I do like watching the characters interact. Plus I also like how the comic artists can slip some more risque references into the comics compared to the show. I mean the Rainbow Dash Micro-series issue has that Blade Runner reference! Anyways, the two concurrent series does seem to allow for storylines that allow for both character-centered and group-centered dynamics, something that was pretty heavily discussed in the past. Obviously the group-focused storylines, but there are some great stories to be had in the Microseries / Friends Forever series. For example, the latest Friends Forever issue with Spike and Celestia is very well done, kind of going deeper into Celestia's story and explores why she lets Twilight do all the work.

Anyways, more pictures where I show off my collection

The main issues.

And yes, I have almost as many alternate covers as I do of the main issues, including every single cover of the Rainbow Dash micro-series, because I'm that much of a Rainbow Dash fanboy. The Larry's Comics exclusive of #1 portraying Rainbow Dash as a superhero is probably my favorite, although I really like the Hot Topic exclusive of #4 with Irish Lyra.

Gameloft Game
Also noticed the complete lack of conversation about the Gameloft game, which is fair because the game is a money-grubbing collaboration between a soulless corporation and a cookie-cutter game developer. Nevertheless, I've been playing since the game first came out in November 2012, and not even several resets of my data could stop me. I am such a sellout! I even have two accounts, one on iOS and one on my Android phone, because what better way to get hearts than to send it to myself? (It actually kind of sucks)

ajnrules: This is my primary account, the one I've been playing since November of 2012. I've pretty much brought all that I can with bits (at least as far as ponies and stores go) and have maxed out most of my ponies on five stars so I've gone a while without playing it. I still have almost 10 million bits.

Jephtha266: This is the other account. I've had pretty bad luck on this one. Since it's on my Android phone, every time my phone breaks (which sadly is more than once), my data gets erased, and that means shelling money for gems (because I am a consumer whore) so I can buy Rainbow Dash (because I am an RD fanboy.) That really should have been a sign for me to stop playing this damned game, but I'm still forging on.

Conventions
Ah yes, cons: the chance for fans of a common interest to come together and celebrate their love for that fandom for one fun-filled weekend. I've been to anime and gaming cons and I've felt completely out of place at anime cons (since I've come to realize the only anime that I really love are the films by Studio Ghibli) and have no longer been able to go to the gaming con since I moved away, and I haven't kept up with gaming since I started med school. I was a little bit hesitant before my first pony convention, but it was a blast. I felt accepted because I actually had a working knowledge about ponies. I've been to several and will plan on going as much as my schedule permits me.

PAST CONVENTIONS: Brony-Fest 2013, Fiesta Equestria 2013, Brony Fan Fair 2013, Nightmare Nights Dallas 2013, Comicpalooza 2013

Brony-Fest was my first convention. It was a rather modest affair, with less than 1,000 attendants and whose only major guests were Matt Hill (Soarin') and animator Rich Arons. Still I decided to splurge and brough the VIP tickets, which allowed me to go on a night out in Grapevine at the Rainforest Cafe and got to tour the aquarium in the Grapevine Mills mall. Furthermore I got a chance to eat Pie with Matt Hill. Unfortunately I had to leave Sunday morning, mostly because I was driving down to Houston to watch Opening Day and the first Astros game with them in the American League. It was still a blast.

Fiesta Equestria came next. It was tough because it was in the middle of my orientation for residency, and Houston was three and a half hours away. And they stopped giving passes after 5 pm. However, they were releasing them early on Thursday, so I had to leave orientation as soon as it ended and drove down to Thursday to pick up my badge. Then I had to drive back to go to the last day of orientation, and then left on Friday to drive down again. Why the hurry? Because Friday was the only day the Ashleigh Ball would be present! The voice actress of my two favorite ponies! I've been wanting to see them in concert (well, mostly for Ashleigh Ball) since March, when her band was scheduled to be in Dallas, but for some reason cancelled. I even bought tickets for a performance in Akron, OH in April, but then I couldn't make it to Akron in time. Unfortunately, by the time I arrived in Houston her panel and autograph session had ended, although she still had her concert later that night with her band Hey Ocean!. I decided to check out the concert, where Michelle Creber preformed first. And then there was a break after Creber's performance before Hey Ocean! came on to perform, and most people left the room even though it wasn't necessary. I made my way to front and center, and got to be a few feet from her as she was performing. Then after the concert she was signing autographs so I was able to get my Christmas poster signed. Yeah, that was an awesome night!

Brony Fan Fair was another more modest affair. I took a week off to go down to Austin to visit a brony friend who was supposed to go to the convention with me, but she had to work that weekend so I had to go by myself. It was still fun, as I was able to hang out some more with Matt Hill and Sam Vincent (Flim). Rina-chan was also there and I got her to say her classic line from Apple.mov. And I got to meet MysteryBen (animator of the Rhythm is Magic series) and Jacob Kitts (animator of the Re-encted by Ponies series.) Good fun. It was also the first time I got to go to all three days of a convention.

Nightmare Nights Dallas was another bigger affair. This was the first time I got to go to a convention with friends. Unfortunately, I missed the first day because of work, but got to attend on Saturday and Sunday. I had a few Taiwan bronies make pieces of art that I gave as gifts to Andrea Libman, Peter New, Brenda Crichlow, and the DHX staff. I splurged once again and bought a VIP ticket where I was able to enjoy all-you-can-eat meat while discussing behind the scene stuff with Jayson Thiessen and Big Jim Miller. Later on Sunday I splurged once again in the charity auction. I had my sights on an absolutely adorable canvas painting by John Joseco of Pinkie and Fluttershy in the teacup ride. Unfortunately, somebody else had their sights on that painting and he had more disposable income than I did. I got the bidding up to $1,000, but he got the painting and a hug from Andrea Libman, while I got a handshake. I consoled myself by beating out FoalPapers' girlfriend for a series of propaganda posters by kefkafloyd, whom interestingly enough I knew on a Powerpuff Girls online community back in 2002.

And even though it's not technically a pony convention, I went to Comicpalooza down in Houston this past year, where I got to meet Andrea Libman for the first time as well as Tabitha. I hung out a lot with the Houston Bronies in all of the pony panels (which means it's very likely that I've met Raichu Rocks before in one of these conventions, considering we went to the same ones.) I partook in two trivia games. I got my ass handed to me in Jeopardy, but I did do well in the Brony Power of Ten game. I beat the person who pretended to be the voice actress for Friendship is Witchcraft, and got through the 1 cent, 10 cents, $1, and $10 categories. And then I was stupid and decided to go for the $100 grand prize, which required me to name the percentage on the dot. I took that 10 to 1 shot and lost, but I met the host again at Nightmare Nights Dallas and he said that was the best memories he's had at one of those trivia games.

UPCOMING CONVENTIONS: Animation Celebration 2014, Babscon 2014, Fiesta Equestria 2014

Yeah, I'll be going to these conventions. Animation Celebration is the result of the people that ran Brony-Fest trying to be more ambitious and making it more of a general animation convention, complete with non-pony guests such as Kevin Conroy, Linda Ballentyne, Steve Cardenas and more. They're still going to have pony guests such as Matt Hill, Sam Vincent, Trevor Devall, and Claire Corlett (Sweetie Belle). It's still going to be a good time. So if Raichu Rocks sees this message before the con in a week and a half, I hope we get to meet up.

Babscon is either going to be another Bronycon / EQLA, or another Las Pegasus Unicon. I hope to Celestia it's not the latter, because I actually get to go thanks to a schedule change that left me that weekend off. Sure, I have to miss Friday because I have to work, but it would be nice to get to meet Tara Strong and Nicole Oliver and Meghan McCarthy.

And I have no idea who the guests are going to be for Fiesta Equestria, but if it's anything like last year it'll be well worth it! I won't be able to go to Bronycon, which is a shame, because I know somebody flying all the way from Taiwan that would be going, and it seems like we have somebody here on staff. Alas, I would be going to Cooperstown the weekend before to watch Greg Maddux get inducted to the Hall of Fame, and I can't possibly take two weeks off. Well, I guess I can, but I probably shouldn't.

Ponies in the News
Finally, this doesn't apply to me, but it is something worth bringing up. A few incidents involving a young child's love of ponies have hit the nationals news and brought the issue of bullying front and center. The first is related to the tragic story of Michael Morones, the 11 year old boy who was bullied incessantly and that eventually led him to attempt suicide by hanging. Thankfully he was found before he was completely anoxic and is recovering slowly but surely. There was some mumblings of how the bullying isn't the sole event that led to the suicide attempt, and that some other factors may have precipitated it. But that's like a 50-pack-year smoker with a heart attack refusing to address the role his smoking played in his near-death experience.

The other news is something that isn't quite as tragic but still as shocking. It also happened in the great state of North Carolina. A boy named Grayson Bruce was bringing his Rainbow Dash backpack to school, and that made him the target of some vicious bullying that included physical action and cries to tell him to do what Michael Morones did. When the school board got word of the bullying, their solution was to tell Grayson to stop bringing his backpack. The news leaked and incited outrage over the message to suppress individualism to placate aggressors. The incident soon spread and eventually even Glenn Beck had come on the air to show his support for Grayson. I can probably see where the school was coming from. I personally got in trouble with my program director after I was caught bringing my Rainbow Dash plushie to a showing of Equestria Girls and he told me not to bring my pony items out in public anymore. Still, as somebody that's been bullied in the past, I know that it's not going to solve the root problem. Once you've become a target of bullies, little is going to get you off their list.

Bullying is a tragic part of modern society. And unfortunately it's a multi-factorial issue where there are multiple causes of which the bullies themselves are only a factor. As long as we live in a world where people try to assert their dominance over others it will never disappear. However, there is hope that by getting the issue out in public awareness we can at least improve our response to the topic of bullying. And here's hoping that these two incidents can lead to this change.

Yeah...just wanted to throw that out.

Last edited by ajnrules; 03-19-2014 at 10:44 AM.
ajnrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 12:09 PM   #1893
ajnrules
Boulder Badge

So yeah apparently nobody bothered to read my 6,000-word bragfest. I don't blame you.

Anyways, this happened. This comes at quite a shock because as far as fan movies go JanAnimations is pretty tame in content. However, he does has one of the most show accurate animation styles so maybe that singled him out by Hasbro's Legal Department? Either way it's a disappointing loss to the fandom. Even if Mike Vogel at Hasbro is looking into the matter, it really puts a damper to this week's episode, which was frankly pretty awesome.

The episode seemed to have started out going along the Sisterhooves Social path with bickering sisters, but then came the haunting dream sequence, which is one of the best sequences to appear in any episode both visually and thematically. Plus Tabitha was terrific the entire episode as both Rarity and Luna!

Also this:
Old 03-22-2014, 09:59 PM   #1894
Char
Banned

I read part of it but I'm not even that into MLP so :x
Old 03-23-2014, 03:03 PM   #1895
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
I can't believe ajnrules is still alive. Welcome back and I'll read whatever monstrosity you gave birth to right there.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 01:03 AM   #1896
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajnrules View Post
So yeah apparently nobody bothered to read my 6,000-word bragfest. I don't blame you.
Jokingly, I have little to say to someone whose favorite episode is my least favorite episode and who ranks Twilight Sparkle as low as he does.

In all seriousness, I didn't reply to your post because, from what I read and saw, I got the impression that your post was written for bronies by a brony. And I'm no brony. ^^; I enjoy the show just fine but it isn't something that has affected my identity in any discernible way. I don't own MLP:FiM merchandise nor do I wish to. I don't post on brony message boards or image boards nor do I wish to. I have very, very little in the way of brony fanart on my computer. Heck: I still haven't watched Season 4 yet. I got the impression that you wrote your post for the Muyotwos and the Razor Ravens of this thread, not for people like me. Sorry if you felt ignored. Hopefully the bigger MLP:FiM fans will be excited by your post and respond in due time.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 02:11 AM   #1897
Muyotwo
Dominator of Bike Levels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
for the Muyotwos
Old 03-25-2014, 02:56 AM   #1898
ajnrules
Boulder Badge

Eh it's ok. I guess the person I was really hoping would read this is Raichu Rocks since we may be going to the same convention this weekend. I guess I can send him a PM.
Old 03-26-2014, 04:02 AM   #1899
RaichuRocks
My Thoughts Protect You

hey! hows it going. sad to say, Bronyfest is no longer that. its Animation Celebration

and they blew it. Matt Hill, Sam Vincent, Trevor Devall wont be coming due to a fallout with the Convention staff and their agent group: One Man Posse.

Kelly Metzker had movie obligations too. oh well. Sweetie Belle, Keven Conroy and The 2nd Red Ranger will be there.

I will be there all 3 days. using up work vacation.

Nightmare Nights was the best last year and only getting better. So glad they got Tabitha. She's my absolute favorite. she also voices my fav anime character(girl in my sig). I plan on getting the top ticket package and a room for Fri/Sat
Old 03-26-2014, 12:01 PM   #1900
ajnrules
Boulder Badge

Yeah, so they announced that Claire Corlett (Sweetie Belle) was also backing out so we'll only be left with community guests like Drawponies. (Rina-chan dropped out too apparently.) Better than nothing, but it's too bad about the pony guests. Trevor Devall was hilarious and is a very cool guy. And Matt Hill is pretty awesome. It would have been great to eat pie with him, but now we won't get any pie.

Oh well. At least we'll have brony vendors, like I heard the UNT Bronies group would still be there with their buttons and their blind bags and their Fighting is Magic booth.

I'm excited about Nightmare Nights. I'll do my darndest to get time off at around that time, but my schedule isn't as flexible as I'd like it to be so I can't be certain I'd be able to go, so I'll likely pass on the top ticket package.

Anyways, hope to see you at the con this weekend. I shouldn't be too hard to spot. I'm the morbidly obese person wearing a Rainbow Dash shirt and the Rainbow Dash backpack with the Rainbow Dash cap and carrying around a Rainbow Dash Build-a-bear plushie. XP

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Entertainment