Quote:
Originally Posted by deoxys View Post
Bronies confirmed to have no taste.

(I'm not sorry Muyo!)
Old 09-06-2013, 11:24 PM   #1852
Rangeet
Foot, meet mouth.

Send a message via MSN to Rangeet Send a message via Skype™ to Rangeet
Typical. Not giving the least bit of respect to the pony who gave them all their powers.
Old 09-07-2013, 04:17 PM   #1853
Razor Raven
Lonely Demon Slayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
As for the poll, eh, I wouldn't really worry about it. Given how the vote's split six (or more? Mane Six or all characters?) ways, I wouldn't really worry about it too much. So long as your favorite's not in last or second to last, it's a pretty good bet that most fans still like her. It's only if your favorite's in last place that you have to be kind of anxious and wonder "Does that mean she's the people's #6 favorite and they still do love her? Or does it mean she's the people's #1 least favorite and they all hate her? "
Wow, well said, Talon, that pretty much summons up my feelings on the matter =o

Quote:
Of course it feels nice to be "vindicated" by the court of public opinion when they line up with you
Exactly ;)

Quote:
It's the same thing here with Twilight. It makes me happy to hear that she's #1 or #2 in some popularity polls, it makes me a little disappointed in people that she's #5 or #6 in other popularity polls, but in the end I like Twilight best regardless of her popularity on UPN, on Reddit, on Facebook, on whatever.
Like the Fandom Wide survey back in the day where over 1,000 people participated, or TWO Polls over on Equestria Daily!

Granted, Equestria Daily isn't all it's cracked up to be, or what it makes itself out to be, but I still feel vindicated, as you so succinctly put, that Twilight tends to win the major polls ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muyotwo View Post
While an appropriate response, the image is...unsettling given the situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshsBabyLapras View Post

Hey there, lady-I'm-pretty-sure-I've-met-before-but-haven't-heard-from-in-a-long-time =o
Razor Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 04:24 PM   #1854
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor Raven View Post
Hey there, lady-I'm-pretty-sure-I've-met-before-but-haven't-heard-from-in-a-long-time =o
Wow, it wasn't until this comment that ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshsBabyLapras View Post
IvotedforFluttershy_zpse61d9ffc.png

... I realized that this is ABL's first post on UPN in nearly two years. :o
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 10:20 PM   #1855
Razor Raven
Lonely Demon Slayer

http://24.media.tumblr.com/5be783146...5uho1_1280.png

CUTIE MARK CRUSADER ROYAL GUARDS
Old 09-15-2013, 01:32 PM   #1856
RaichuRocks
My Thoughts Protect You

Quote:
Muyo ownage :O
Old 09-16-2013, 05:27 PM   #1857
Razor Raven
Lonely Demon Slayer

Alright everypony, so I finally got around to watching "Equestria Girl". What did I think?

Spoiler: show
It...wasn't bad, actually. Let me break down my thoughts

What I liked

- The Setup. I found the whole thing quite believable, as it was basically Motive and Opportunity as opposed to being completely random.

- The Plot. I've heard complaints that it's a typical High School scenario. Honestly? I saw more than that, I saw Twilight trying to protect two worlds but doing so in an honorable fashion. It just happened to take place in a High School setting is all. Yes, she needed to win what was essentially a prom, but there's clearly something deeper going on, what with two worlds at stake, and THAT is what got the focus, not the High School thing. I've heard complaints that this movie is a lot of "talking about boys" and whatnot. Honestly? The only "talking about boys" comes in like, the final 2 or 3 minutes of the movie.

- Twilight adjusting to her human body was funny, but more importantly, it was believable, as she's seen steadily getting more and more used to being human.

- The Songs. As expected of Daniel Ingram, the music was pure brilliance, I especially liked: "Helping Twilight Win The Crown"

- Several minor, but very noteworthy moments. Twilight standing up for Fluttershy against Sunset Shimmer, Twilight and Fluttershy's first meeting mirroring their first meeting...just without Twilight getting a flying lesson, Rainbow Dash pretending she would only help Twilight if Twilight beat her at sports...then helping her anyway. THAT'S our Jerk With A Heart Of Gold!

- Human Twilight was pretty adorable, must be the eyes.

- Twilight and Spike. Spike proved all over the place just why he is Twilight's Number One Assistant.

What I didn't like

- Sunset Shimmer. Twilight's evil counterpart as Celestia's previous student? Not exactly original, but given the amount of depth and characterization these ponies get, it could have worked. I was fully expecting her to be the Shishio Makoto to Twilight's Himura Kenshin. Intelligent and powerful, only evil. She ended up being pretty generic and not very interesting. It's sad, because we get to see her teleporting, something only Twilight has done in the past, so that implies that she IS in the same league as Twilight, in terms of magical ability. That, and the fact that she admits she was wrong, balked at physically injuring a puppy thus giving her standards, and apologizes places her above Trixie, at least. Than again, Trixie was pretty memorable, even if completely unsympathetic. Guess it's a tie.

- Flash Sentry. Megan Mcarthy wrote this, right? I feel she made the same mistake she did with Shining Armor. If my memory isn't failing me, I read an official statement that Shining Armor was meant to be a background character with little to no connection to Twilight. Her backstory suffers a retcon to give her a brother who we're supposed to sympathize with and like over the course of a 20 minute episode....where he disowns his own flesh and blood without even trying to reason with her. Twilight may have screwed up that episode, but she had nearly 50 episodes worth of being an Adorkable Humble Heroine Nice Girl to make it easy for us to forgive her. Shining had no previous behavior for us to forgive or condemn him. At least Shining Armor HAS some personality to make him somewhat interesting, whereas Flash Sentry is a Nice Guy type character done wrong, as that's ALL he has. Yes, he's an Adorkable Nice Guy, but Twilight has FAR more personality then that. Maybe if his Equestria counterpart was shown to be interested in her and she was not interested YET but willing to give him a chance, that would be fine. If he was given real, notable personality and Twilight falls for him near the end, that would be fine. Here's the breakdown of Twilight falling for him. She falls down near him, and he helps her up. Later, she spills a drink on him, they both go for the cup, and suddenly she's infatuated. I know Twilight has a loving personality and is always willing to accept someone into her heart, but her romantic interest shouldn't be so easy. Yes, he did bail Twilight out when she was framed, but that could easily have been done by another character. I'm honestly glad he's not returning for Season 4

- Nothing is really explained about this world or why it exists, or why everyone seems to have a counterpart there.

- I really don't understand why one of the Elements of Harmony would transform Sunset Shimmer into a demon, and this isn't explained.

- While I love the Elements of Harmony coming into play, they're supposed to be a "Seal Evil" or "Purify" type effect, not actual defensive magic to combat demon magic

- Spike being a dog. I get this is meant to symbolize his loyalty to Twilight, but there are enough people who are foggy on how much Twilight and Spike mean to each other, and could easily see this as symbolizing Spike as Twilight's pet as opposed to her surrogate little brother. It actually worked for the sake of the movie, but I'm uncomfortable with the potential symbolism here.

- Twilight's outfit. I'm complained about this before, I'm saying again that I intensely dislike the stereotypical nerd getup. I always imagined Twilight being sweaters, t-shirts, and button downs over jeans or slacks. Pajamas at night. The two-piece button down notch collar type.

Other Thoughts

- The designs. Most of the time I was able to ignore the Bratz like designs, though Macintosh looked awkward, and the outfits felt cookie-cutter to me, as they're ALL wearing skirts, though I'd have expected sweaters for Fluttershy instead of tank tops. I'm actually fine with the skin colors, as to each other, they probably DO look Caucasian, African-American, Asian, etc, but it prevents the fanbase from frothing at the mouth over the implied nationalities.

- I note with some irony that the way the Humane 5 stood by Twilight and helped her out when the whole school thought she was a joke, then tried to shield her from Sunset Shimmer's attack, risking their own lives, means that the Alternate Universe Mane 5 are better friends to Twilight than their canon counterparts. No, I'm not bitter bout "Canterlot Wedding" at all, why do you ask?

- Snips and Snails. They are CLEARLY attracted to girls with power, like with Trixie when they THOUGHT she was powerful, then appeared to switch to Twilight, who actually IS powerful, not to mention a LOT nicer than Trixie. No Twilight here, so naturally they throw their lot in with Sunset Shimmer

-The Humane 5 being friends. Given that a High School forces you to be in closer proximity to each other makes it more likely they'd be friends without Twilight's presence, although she's the one who truly intensified it, and made them True Companions, unlike in Equestria where they knew OF each other, but couldn't really claim friendships with each other until Twilight brought them together.

So! My final take? I give it One Hoof Up. Had the villain and love interest been more interesting, or if there hadn't been a love interest at all, and had more been explained, this could probably have gotten Two Hooves Up from me. As it is, One Hoof Up.

This doesn't redeem "Canterlot Wedding", but Megan Mcarthy showed that she can still write some pretty good stuff.
Old 10-04-2013, 06:50 PM   #1858
Mon1010
Pokemon Trainer

Location: In your thoughts! Can't find me? Well, think again!
Not much activity in this thread...

Rarity is best pony! 8D

Also, I saw Equestria Girls on Youtube. It wasn't bad, but it had it's flaws.

Fizzy Bubbles
Mon1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 06:57 PM   #1859
Muyotwo
Dominator of Bike Levels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mon1010 View Post
It's the offseason, things will pick up once season 4 rolls out.
Old 10-06-2013, 07:34 PM   #1860
RaichuRocks
My Thoughts Protect You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mon1010 View Post

Rarity is best pony! 8D

Also, I saw Equestria Girls on Youtube. It wasn't bad, but it had it's flaws.
love your avatar
Old 10-06-2013, 09:21 PM   #1861
Sneaze
Mrow?

>Rarity is best pony! 8D

I don't really know you that well but I like you already.

Daisy wins at life for making this Battle Cut
Sneaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 04:02 PM   #1862
Razor Raven
Lonely Demon Slayer

Welcome aboard, Mon1010 =)

As for the lack of activity, come on people, lets discuss fanfics and fanart. Here I was hoping for an analysis from anyone else who saw Equestria Girls

Oh well

Right now I'm tracking a whole bunch of stories, one standout is a story where Twilight returns to Ponyville after her coronation...with four Unicorn Stallions as Bodyguards, and four Earth Pony Mares as Hoofmaidens. Yes, hilarity does ensue, particularly with the guards who are quite overprotective of the multi-time national hero, top class sorceress and all around certified badass.

As for fanart:

http://th04.deviantart.net/fs71/PRE/...93-d6nfs92.png
http://th01.deviantart.net/fs70/PRE/...ar-d5yq8ua.jpg
http://th01.deviantart.net/fs70/PRE/...ri-d485rbe.jpg
Old 10-28-2013, 10:52 AM   #1863
Talon87
時の彼方へ

As seen on YouTube (somebody responding to somebody else in the comments section):
Quote:
Bronies aren't autistic, You douche potato! You're just jealous because they're 20% cooler than you.
"You douche potato" ... *sigh* Oh boy.

Still haven't watched the movie. Should probably get on that ball.

Season 4 premieres on November 23.

Wikipedia shares that "Hasbro's vice president for international distribution, Finn Arnesen, has stated that My Little Pony is currently a 'top-priority' brand for the company and expects the series to continue for some time." That's not necessarily a promise for a fifth season as four seasons should give Hasbro plenty of material for syndication, but it is at least something for super-fans to be optimistic about.

Did Hasbro ever release the series in 1080p on Blu-Ray? A quick Google search seems to suggest that the answer is no and that Hasbro's PR office claims there were some "roadblocks" that prevented them from releasing the series on Blu-Ray in the US. Kind of strange, then, that they apparently did release a Blu-Ray boxset in Germany. Can't imagine what roadblocks could be applying just to the American market but not also the German market.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 04:17 AM   #1864
Muyotwo
Dominator of Bike Levels

The new season is upon us!

Time to come out of hiding, guys!

Old 11-24-2013, 08:14 AM   #1865
Sneaze
Mrow?

Right then. Season Four spoilers ahead!

The first two episodes weren't that bad. Predictable to the very last second, but not that bad. The one thing that really irritates me is how they insist this is the first Summer Sun Celebration since Luna's return. ...yes, because everything that has happened has occured in the sum of time of one year. Doubt it. The fact that they didn't actually introduce a new villain is nice, and the time visions were very well done, though I wish they would have explained how the Elements turned to stone orbs and wound up where they did. Sadly though, both episodes ended up being one big filler sandwich in that they did nothing of purpose until the last little bit, and even then was a poor attempt at character development followed by an odd attempt at setting the theme for the future.

Some of the voices also sounded a little out of practice in the first episode (I'm looking at you Tabitha), but everything was back to normal by the second so that's good.

If I had to give the first two episodes a rating, I'd probably go 7/10. Not bad, but they could do much, much better.

Daisy wins at life for making this Battle Cut
Sneaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 07:35 PM   #1866
Whimsy
Dance till you're dead~

Send a message via Skype™ to Whimsy
Crap, Season 4?
I haven't even finished Season 3!
TIME FOR MARATHON EPISODE WATCHING TIME

Fizzy Bubbles Profile/Whimlist/ASB/Wild Future
Inactive Ref, laziness op~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost™ View Post
In Mother 3 Swampy was Flint and you were Hinawa. You two were a wonderful couple. Icarus was your dog, and Toy and I were your twin sons. Well, until a dinosaur impaled you through the heart. So yes, where is he!?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Panda View Post
#still
#fucking
#salty

Whimsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 08:24 AM   #1867
Muyotwo
Dominator of Bike Levels

Fluttershy came out in Build-a-Bear today, so ABL hit the road early in the morning to collect the next set of two ponies for our plush mane 6. Since I got the superior pony last time (Pinkie over Dash) she got to pick this time, so I got stuck with Twilight. Oh well, when Rarity/AJ come out it will be my turn to choose again- though there's no bad choice there.
Old 11-30-2013, 11:09 PM   #1868
RaichuRocks
My Thoughts Protect You

Quote:
Time to come out of hiding, guys!

that was awesome
Old 12-04-2013, 08:04 PM   #1869
Razor Raven
Lonely Demon Slayer

Quote:
so I got stuck with Twilight.
Oh no, truly the worst possible thing. [/Sarcasm]
Old 12-05-2013, 09:16 PM   #1870
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Lil' Bluey

If only Equestria Girls ended this way:

P.S. Where is everyone? o.O; Is no one else watching S4? (Granted I haven't had much to say either...)
lilboocorsola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 09:39 PM   #1871
Razor Raven
Lonely Demon Slayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbluecorsola View Post
If only Equestria Girls ended this way:

I strongly disagree with this -.-

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbluecorsola View Post
P.S. Where is everyone? o.O; Is no one else watching S4? (Granted I haven't had much to say either...)
...I really should get around to doing that, shouldn't I >.> Celestia, I'm so lazy >.>
Old 12-05-2013, 09:50 PM   #1872
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Lil' Bluey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor Raven View Post
I strongly disagree with this -.-
Did you read all the way to the end?

On the subject of EG, been listening to remixes of "Helping Twilight Win the Crown" and "A Friend for Life". If nothing else, the film produced some catchy tunes.
Old 12-06-2013, 07:55 AM   #1873
Muyotwo
Dominator of Bike Levels

Episode 3 was my favorite in quite a while- getting the group together in one place and letting them interact in a fun way is a formula for a good episode every time.
Old 12-09-2013, 01:01 PM   #1874
deoxys
Fog Badge

This season has been on a roll so far. I'd say we're getting back to the roots of what Season 1 was all about. Every episode thus far has featured the group together, not just singling out individual characters.
deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 06:23 PM   #1875
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Lil' Bluey

I liked episode 04.

Despite it being a Dash-centric episode, it was pretty fun. Daring Do was a cool character (loved her voice). And I could relate to Dash in a few ways.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Entertainment