UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON

Old 01-10-2012, 06:28 PM   #251
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

>Talon vs. quinto

oh wow.

>Elsie's last few battles

Valiantly fought, my good sir. Love the nicknames.

Spoiler: show
Also, why a Klang? Is that an error in the program or did you pick that specifically?

>Kin vs. Quinto

Daaaayyyuuuummmm that was LUCKY.

Also you're not too bad at this metagame thing.

私のことを消して本気で愛さないで 恋なんてただのゲーム 楽しめばそれでいい
閉ざした心を飾る 派手なドレスも靴も 孤独の友達

asbwffb

[jerichi]

Last edited by Jerichi; 01-10-2012 at 06:43 PM.
Jerichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 06:34 PM   #252
Lady Kuno
The hostess with the mostess

Evolite

PROUD OWNER OF A MISSINGNO. IN FIZZY BUBBLES
Lady Kuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 06:36 PM   #253
Lonely Cubone
Gee, Brain...

Send a message via MSN to Lonely Cubone
No no, I picked a Klang. I wanted to use the line and after trying a few set ups I thought I'd use Eviolite Klang as it's a pretty impressive wall, which (along with sub) lets it set up the Shift Gears more easily: Klang's main stat deficiency compared to big brother is that its speed is 50 rather than 90, but when I'm generally setting up at least two Shift Gears the base speed really doesn't matter- so I end up with a 'mon with base defences in the region of 140 set up to sweep. It's a bit gimmicky and don't think it would work in standard play, but it's paid off a few times already and with Gear Grind, it is fantastic against other Substituters.

Edit: Using it has made me fall in love with Klang a bit, so thought I'd see if there were any other viable set ups than the one I have. In short, no. The line has a higher attack and has a signature move which boosts its attack right? Lets list all it's physical attack options: Vice Grip, Gear Grind, Bind (Those 3 are all the ones it learns naturally) plus Frustration, Return, Facade and Rock Smash. Limited doesn't even begin to cover it. It seems like a Pokemon that could be overused in a heartbeat if Gray is kind to it.

Last edited by Lonely Cubone; 01-10-2012 at 06:40 PM.
Lonely Cubone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 06:45 PM   #254
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

Ah yeah I forgot about Eviolite. It's definitely served you well so far and it's a pretty fuckin' awesome Sub breaker.

私のことを消して本気で愛さないで 恋なんてただのゲーム 楽しめばそれでいい
閉ざした心を飾る 派手なドレスも靴も 孤独の友達

asbwffb

[jerichi]
Jerichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 08:31 PM   #255
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

As an outsider watching in, I noticed a lot of people seem to love using Toxic.
Loki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 08:34 PM   #256
Lady Kuno
The hostess with the mostess

Haha! I didn't use any Toxic on any of my dudes.

PROUD OWNER OF A MISSINGNO. IN FIZZY BUBBLES
Lady Kuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 08:36 PM   #257
DaveTheFishGuy
Primordial Fishbeast

Send a message via Skype™ to DaveTheFishGuy
Hell I'm running the Poison team and I don't have Toxic on anything.

Though I do have Toxic Spikes, don't get to set it up much though.
DaveTheFishGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 08:40 PM   #258
DaisyInari
Sarasaland represent!

Send a message via MSN to DaisyInari
Altaria

I have Toxic Spikes, but I barely use them xd

Which makes me wonder if having SR instead would make me win VS Kin and VS Concept...

Also! I rewatched all my vids that I had one against. The only battle that might've turned out differently due to the Life Orb thing was Yuki, I think. I rechallenged her with my changed team and won once more.

I rematched Concept, MM, and Kairne too, just for the heck of it~ Won against Concept and Kairne, but MM is still just out of my reach~

Hi, I'm Daisy!

W(DQ)- 22(3) L(DQ)-14(0)
KO-55
TP-131 SP- 64.5/96.5 (5SP to Deh, 5SP to FW, 5SP to Desert Spirit, 8.5SP to Fallen Icarus, 10SP to Kyro12, 8SP to Charminions, 10 to aposteriori)
SHUCKS I GOTTA FIX THIS SOMETIME
~TL3~

~Fizzy Bubbles~

Credits to Charm for making this!

Come, my birdies!!!! Mwahahahaha!!!!!!

Thanks Pingu for being so nice and making me this~

Credit to TheKnightsFury for the sprite!

Fear my abnormally large signature~

Be Positive Ref~ I <3 you, Lonely Cubone and those who eval'd me~
DaisyInari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 08:58 PM   #259
Talon87
時の彼方へ

The problem with Toxic Spikes is that it takes too long to set up, it's too easily removed (just by switching in a Poison-type w/o Levitate), and even if you can set it up and avoid it being swept off of the battlefield, Toxic itself takes a while to kill things. You'll kill most sweepers faster just with raw battle damage while most walls, precisely because they don't want to be taken out of commission by something as lol-easy as Toxic, will have Rest or status-healing moves or berries to try and deal with the threat.

That stated, people use it because all of the stuff I've said is obviously theory that doesn't necessarily carry over in practice. XP

Generally speaking, though, I would take Stealth Rock any day over Toxic Spikes. Stealth Rock is harder to get rid of and it does potentially much more damage on the switch-in than Toxic Spikes does. Specifically, threats that ordinarily might not be OHKO'able by some of the UUmons we're using suddenly become pseudo-OHKO'able thanks to Stealth Rock shaving off a quarter of their life totals. Also, there are some strategies you lock yourself out of by using Toxic Spikes that you don't lock yourself out of by using Stealth Rock. These include crippling an enemy sweeper by sacrificing one of your guys so that he Thunder Waves the sweeper and transforms him into a non-sweeper; paralyzing the enemy in the hopes that he won't get to go that turn (as already seen with a few Serene Grace @ King's Rock @ Iron Head (Jirachi) or Air Slash (Togekiss) strategies); or burning a physical enemy in order to halve his physical attack output (hello, Scald ^^; ).

Oh well. What's done is done. And Toxic Spikes aren't really terrible either. Nobody wants one of their Pokemon to be toxified, let alone an entire team's worth. Toxic Spikes can be the deal-breaker for would-be sweepers like Quiver Dance Volcarona.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 09:33 PM   #260
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

Send a message via Skype™ to Concept
SR + toxic spikes together worked reasonably well for me in your champions tournament, I found, but in that a lot of my team was set up specifically to stall and shuffle round so. It's also freaking annoying when something unexpected happens and you get one layer down.
Concept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 05:20 PM   #261
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I checked in yesterday and there were like 10+ people in the room. I check in today, at roughly the same times, and no one's there. Did everybody else already get in all of their battles except against me and Dragon?

I have yet to fight: Fire, Grass, Electric, Ice, Flying, Fighting, Ground, and Dragon.

EDIT: Save the streams for after the tournament, Daisy? XP You're stealing away my competition.
Old 01-11-2012, 05:47 PM   #262
phoopes
Double Dragon

Talon:

Nope, I've only done 9 of my battles so far...

Won: Kairne, FireWater, LC, Quintowill
Lost: DTFG, Daisy, Ethe, Emp, Kuno
Old 01-11-2012, 05:48 PM   #263
DaveTheFishGuy
Primordial Fishbeast

Still need to battle FW, Speevy, Yougi and Elsie, over here.
Old 01-11-2012, 05:51 PM   #264
phoopes
Double Dragon

Still need to battle Yuki, Yougi, MM007, Kin, Talon, Concept, and whoeverthefak Dragon is.

EDIT: Speevy
Old 01-11-2012, 05:52 PM   #265
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

Send a message via Skype™ to Concept
Yuki and I are sitting around in the channel.

Come join us.
Concept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 07:21 PM   #266
Talon87
時の彼方へ

This battle is rife with hax and durrrr moments.

And for once, the hax isn't on my side. -_-;

For LC: Electric won.
Also for LC: see next spoiler box for running totals.

So, this battle ... not a fan, obviously. ^^; You could probably figure that out from the chat log or, if you were there, just the general tension in the room. This was a battle where everything that should have worked didn't, and it all came down to one thing: the first four turns.

Rotom was meant to set up a Light Screen against Yuki's SpAtt-heavy team and then get the hell out of there. Maybe Toxic whatever came in next. Instead, he eats a Thunder Wave, and I decide to stay put and Toxic since, now that his speed's been cut in half, he's never going to put another screen up again. (Sigh.)

So Turn 2 comes, Yuki does Hidden Power ... and it does pathetic damage. 12% HP. I'm elated. Except ... I'm paralyzed, so I don't get to go.

Turn 3 comes ... same procedure. She HPs pitifully, but she's still doing boatloads more than me, who just sits there like a fucking idiot doing nothing. Paralysis hax with chances of one in four.

Turn 4 comes ... and I sit there again, paralyzed. Now I'm starting to get pissed off. The odds are only one in eight of that happening. You might think, "That's not too bad! Sometimes a move has a one in eight chance of missing and it misses! No big deal!" No big deal, huh? It's no big deal for a Focus Blast or Blizzard to occasionally miss because you're only down one turn. To have missed three turns in a row like this ... just imagine if I had been able to Toxic on Turn 2, huh? She'd have eaten three turns of Toxic damage by now if she'd stayed out. Even if she'd switched, I could have poisoned that guy too, maybe! Instead, no -- three turns of just doing nothing.

Usually, I'm on the dishing end of this, not the receiving end, so ... I can appreciate why it's frustrating to people. That stated, even right at my most pissed off, I wasn't so upset that I would just forfeit the match. That shit ain't right. Things can always turn around. Maybe. Possibly.

To be quite honest, once Rotom got his shitty little ass out of the way and the battle started going, things seemed to be looking a little up for me. I might take colossal damage from a hit of Yuki's but then I'd turn right around and OHKO her. It was starting to look like I might win this ...

... until the end, there, where ... I don't even remember what happened, all I remember is, things went downhill and with 'em went my chances of winning this match.

EDIT: Re-watching the match now, let's tally the list of bullshit hax things which happened to me ...
  • Turns 2-4: paralyzed three turns in a row
  • Turn 8: Blizzard misses.
  • Turn 9: After only doing 40% damage on Turn 8 -- and with no SpDef drop, I might add! -- Jolteon then does 60% damage on Turn 9 to 2HKO. What the hell.
  • Turn 19: Not really hax, just ... fucking frustrating that Mismagius came so close to KO'ing the Zapdos with one Power Gem but was just 5% HP shy of the mark. Would have been less upsetting if Zapdos had had 15% HP left. 5% is just ... rubbing salt in my wounds. >_>
  • Turn 22: Gengar brings Eelektross down to 1% HP. 1%. What the fuck is WITH this match? This allows Eelektross to bring Gengar down to 5% from the 100% he'd been previously sitting at. Given that he was set to 2HKO Rotom, that means that the 1% HP of Eelektross's pretty much decided this match.
Very frustrating. I can see why Yuki was all "GG ^.^" but to me ... this was not a good game. This was me time and time and time again being denied the hax she so enjoyed.

I guess you could say, it was a taste of my own medicine. XP

As for the retarded T-Wave/Earthquake double derp fiasco, that's on Turn 14, if you're interested. Had I Focus Punched there instead (as I do the very next turn), I'd have killed the Raichu in one hit and still had my sub (thanks to her own derp). I guess the other way of looking at it is, "Well what if you'd derped and she hadn't? XP" But I don't think that would changed much. Certainly not in the long run, considering she still won.

This match was more technically exciting than the last, though at one point T-Dos laments the boredom of having to watch a Taunting Jellicent square off against a RestCurse Waterfall Ice Sharding Lapras.

For LC: Ghost won by default.
Also for LC: my current standings are 6W, 4L. (W = Steel, Bug, Dark, Normal, Rock, Ice. L = Water, Psychic, Poison, Electric.)

This match would have left less of a sour taste in my mouth if Concept hadn't've disconnected. Internet connection problems can't be helped (except when you're torrenting while on P-O ... you weren't, were you, Concept? >_>) so I can't blame him for that, just ... nobody likes to win like this. It beats Concept demanding a rematch and then him winning when the hax gods decide to make Concept into Yuki v.2.0, but ... it's still pretty crappy to win by default.

Still, I think I did a pretty okay job in this battle, and I think you can see that from the video. This is one which starts off real boring and predictable ("So he brings his Fire Pokemon out against Concept's tree. Of course "), then begins to get a little less predictable ("Taunting Jellicent vs. CurseRest Lapras? :o"), and then by the end there, right around when Concept lost his internet connection, it gets edge-of-your-seat interesting ("What's Concept's last Pokemon!? :O Will Concept's Lapras kill Mismagius before Mismagius can 3HKO it? If Talon switches, what will he switch to? And can it weather the attacks spammed by either Lapras or the mystery mon?").

I felt I was going to win, but you never know. Concept conceded that he thought I had this one in the bag, though, so no rematch was done. Which, I have to confess, benefits me much more than it does him, even beyond the obvious "I get a win" aspect. Now that he knows to expect me to lead with Chandelure against Abomasnow, there's no way he'd lead with Abomasnow on turn 1 again. Maybe he'd lead with Lapras or Walrein instead. And to be quite honest, my counters for those aren't switch-in able, so if I had led with Chandelure again, I'd pretty much have had to forfeit a 'mon right then and there, setting me back one precious creature. So ... I dunno. It's just ...

... frustrating.

Not the best night for Team Ghost, I'm afraid. Our score now stands at 6W, 4L.

Last edited by Talon87; 01-11-2012 at 07:41 PM.
Old 01-11-2012, 07:56 PM   #267
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

KIN VS TALON ~ THE ETHERAL FLAME IS SNUFFED OUT BY THE HOWLING GALE!

Thoughts:
Godammit, Boeing! Stealing everyone's attention for yourself. You should be ashamed. This was supposed to be a match where I utilized the normal and ground secondary types to attempt to advoid Talon's offensive onslaught. Instead, Beoing happened. My psychic abilities telling me of the incoming burn was nice, but it didn't really make any difference. But I think Bomber helped quite a bit, surprisingly. GG, Talon. And interesting choice with the Tomu set.
People should watch what they enjoy regardless of what others think, even if it's a terribad guilty pleasure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
Though, I also dislike the concept of lamenting the current day while wishing to re-experience the past. At least, my modern attitude is to try and make each new day magical even if it's not, since exclusively reminiscing about the past is too pathetic.
Kindrindra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 08:03 PM   #268
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Like Ghost vs. Electric, this match has some retarded hax that screws over the other party. Unlike Ghost vs. Electric, the screwed-over party manages to turn things around with an OU-mon who is downright demi-über. ^^;

For LC: Flying won.
Also for LC: my current standings are 6W, 5L. (W = Steel, Bug, Dark, Normal, Rock, Ice. L = Water, Psychic, Poison, Electric, Flying.)

I thought that Kind would surely lead either with Gliscor or else with Skarmory. Was not expecting to see Togekiss. Did not realize that Kind stupidly (???, it seemed to work for him here >_>) put a Choice Scarf on his Togekiss. And you know it's Scarfed, dear readers, because with a base speed of 110, there's no way anything is getting past Froslass unless it has a base speed of 115 or higher which ... Togekiss decidedly does not.

So in any event, yeah. Choice Scarf Togekiss. Wow. Completely fucks over my Froslass with a successful Air Slash (5% chance to miss) that flinches. Desperately, I switch to Rotom to resist the part-flying nature of the attacks, but I know full well he's going to bring in Gliscor. And yet ... I don't counter-switch. Oh, how I wish I had. But no, I play it safe and put up Reflect instead. And lo, much to my surprise ... it pays off! As after I switch in Jellicent, Kind brings out Gyarados! Who I managed to scald-burn (the first hax of the match) in one shot! Who I thereby cripple! Who I taunt, denying him his Dragon Dances! Oh, sweet joy! I might actually win this one! Thank you, hax gods!

I use Scald on Skarmory, it has a Red Card, and in comes Chandelure of all things. Oh, what luck! Thinking he'd switch, I end up killing the steel turkey instead. Yes! I might win!

... no.

Because next he sends out Marvel Scale Dragonite, and from there it's pretty much gg noob.

I should have immediately switched to Gengar, but I didn't. Maybe then I could have still outraced him and iced his sorry ass. Instead, I sit there like an idiot and decide to Flamethrower, thinking he'd attack me. (Fuh! Please! Are you for real? ) This costs me one turn too many and by the time Gengar arrives, it's much too late to do anything about it. Dragonite now has 2x speed and 2x attack, not to mention Marvel Scale ensures that Gengar can't OHKO him anyway. (2HKO at best.) The game is pretty much over.
Old 01-11-2012, 10:04 PM   #269
Talon87
時の彼方へ

For LC: Fighting won.
Also for LC: my current standings are 6W, 6L. (W = Steel, Bug, Dark, Normal, Rock, Ice. L = Water, Psychic, Poison, Electric, Flying, Fighting.)

If it's one thing this tournament has taught us, it's that creature types mean nothing next to move types. It's the moves the creatures pack, not the creatures' types themselves, which serve as the greatest indicator as to whether they will come out on top or not in any given fight.

Basically, I opted to go defensive with this match, depositing both Chandelure and Froslass in exchange for Golurk and Cofagrigus (both of whom are Def-beefy), and I ended up paying the price big time when MM's Nasty Plot Toxicroak outsped everything I sent at it until my third-to-last (the pretty much already dead Rotom) and second-to-last (Mismagius) Pokémon went out. If I had known that he wasn't going to Sucker Punch, I'd have sent Gengar out immediately to Shadow Ball his froggy little butt. But I didn't, so there's no use in crying over spilled milk.

I think if I had had Froslass (who would have surely outsped Toxicroak, given that he wasn't Sucker Punching) instead of Cofagrigus (whose day in the sun was supposed to be this match, vs. Fighting, so he's pretty much dead to me now ), I might have fared at least a little better. But in the end, Toxicroak killed too many of my guys for me to be able to mount any kind of a comeback. Even if I could have lasted just one more Pokemon -- even if that second Focus Blast of Gengar's hadn't 've missed -- I still think MM would have won this match. The numbers were simply too greatly in his favor after what Toxicroak did.

EDIT: Probably should explain my logic on some of the choices I made in that battle ...

Rotom's Light Screen: I expected Rotom to be outsped by Toxicroak. But if he wasn't, I wanted him to get Light Screen up so that if Toxicroak outsped Mismagius, Mismagius would not be OHKO'd by Nasty Plot Dark Pulse and would be able to OHKO Toxicroak instead. I didn't have confidence in Rotom's ability to OHKO it using Volt Switch nor did I want to Volt Switch out to either of my two final bastions for hope, Mismagius and Gengar.

Mismagius's Staying Put: I left Mismagius out against Scrafty because I didn't see any point in switching out to Gengar or Golurk. In hindsight, I wish I'd switched to Golurk, allowed Golurk to eat a Crunch and be OHKO'd by it, and then send out Gengar to revenge kill with Focus Blast. Then I would have had both Gengar and Mismagius left. (I still don't think it would have made much difference though. He probably had Terrakion and Lucario waiting for me in the wings. Gengar would have still died to Conkeldurr and so, even if Mismagius had then been the one to finish it off, Mismagius would have died to either Terrakion or Lucario.)

Tonight has not been a good night for Team Ghost. x_x 3 losses and 1 win-by-default. Ugh. Before tonight, I was 5-3. After tonight, I'm 6-6. The only teams I have left to face are ...
  • Ground, who will rape my defense-fragile team with Sand Force Excadrill -.-
  • Fire, who will rape my team with Choice Scarf Darmanitan
  • Grass, who will stall my team with SpDef-rich 'mon and !@#$ Ferrothorn
  • Dragon, who will ... yeah.
Basically, I'm 6-6 tonight, but by the end of this tourney, I think we'll be looking at 6-10 for poor Team Ghost. Shitty monotype is shitty.

Last edited by Talon87; 01-11-2012 at 10:22 PM.
Old 01-12-2012, 05:31 AM   #270
Lonely Cubone
Gee, Brain...

Another sixteen matches on the table and it's looking a bit like we have a narrowing field of contenders: Kuno remains favourite, but Fighting and Flying are both putting up a damn good effort. Dragon remains the wildcard...where is Speevey?
Old 01-12-2012, 10:15 AM   #271
DaveTheFishGuy
Primordial Fishbeast

Dave (Poison) VS. Elsie (Steel)

Elsie should probably have won this after I blew my Nidoking. Figured that an Earth Power would KO 'gross, but typically I was wrong and should probably have sent out Weezing to get rid of it instead. Also got incredibly lucky with Scald burns, which I know Elsie hates something fierce. A close battle and I was fortunate to pull out ahead very narrowly.
Old 01-12-2012, 10:50 AM   #272
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTheFishGuy View Post
Dave (Poison) VS. Elsie (Steel)

Elsie should probably have won this after I blew my Nidoking. Figured that an Earth Power would KO 'gross, but typically I was wrong and should probably have sent out Weezing to get rid of it instead. Also got incredibly lucky with Scald burns, which I know Elsie hates something fierce. A close battle and I was fortunate to pull out ahead very narrowly.
Commentary on this match:

Turn 25 is where Elsie messed up. He should have engaged you in a stallwar. You would have likely run out of PP on Focus Punch before he would have run out of Rest. He had used Rest several times previously, yes, but I imagine he still had ~10 PP of it by the time you brought out Toxicroak for that second or third time and managed to set a sub up. With only 31 PP of Focus Punch remaining for you (since you had used it once before already) and with the cycle being a three-turn one of Rest-sleep-sleep and with Registeel outspeeding a Focus Punching Toxicroak, he'd have always been that one step ahead of you and would have, perhaps, eventually drained you completely of Focus Punch PP. At the very least, even if Toxicroak won that stall war, it would have been a Pyrrhic victory as he'd have no Focus Punches left, making him pretty worthless against a Steel team (as I imagine his two remaining offensive moves were the Dark-type Sucker Punch and either the poison-type Poison Jab or else some other move that doesn't really concern Steel all that much).

Turn 31's an error I might have made in the heat of the moment, too, but from earlier battles of Dave's, it's become clear that his Toxicroak has Dry Skin. Elsie really didn't have much say in this turn -- either he fell for the Dry Skin trick (which he did) and Scalded Toxicroak only to (lol irony?) heal the heat-sensitive frog because lol GameFreak; or else he switched out and Toxicroak got to Focus Punch whatever switched in anyway. I guess if Elsie had had remarkable foresight, he might have predicted that Dave would do this and he might have opted to use whatever other attacks Empoleon has got in an effort to deny Toxicroak what it wants -- which is a free chance to either Focus Punch or else to set up a sub to hide behind so it can Focus Punch. Unfortunately, the BRN status on Empoleon makes this strategy less likely to actually work: sure, it might break Toxicroaks' concentration, but it's probably not going to be able to break one of his subs. Maybe it could have. *shrug* I dunno. I don't know what all that Empoleon's got on it. But I doubt there was really much of anything Elsie could have done here. Still ... healing the enemy's the last thing any trainer wants to do, so I'm sure Elsie's upset with this turn as well.

Turns 32 through 36, I have no idea what Dave was thinking. Maybe he was hoping that Elsie was banking on Dave to call back the Toxicroak? and to start Cursing up? and so Dave was trying to be one step ahead of the game by not calling his Pokemon back? I dunno. That trick would have only worked once though, anyway, and once Steelix -- with its already colossal Defense -- had Cursed up at least once, Focus Punch wasn't likely to do more than 50% HP damage anyway. And of course from then on LC was just going to EQ away until the frog either ran away or died, so ... yeah. I dunno. Maybe Dave didn't have any better options here and so his hope was to force Steelix to burn through its limited PP on Earthquake. But at 16 PP, it's not likely that Steelix would run out of Earthquakes before dying to something else anyway (or else winning the match for LC), so ... I guess you could say that Steelix's arrival seemed to be the turn of the tide for LC. After some very bad luck with the Registeel-Toxicroak showdown and just Toxicroak in general, LC seems to have found his second wind here. Toxicroak is now dead and Steelix has got 75% HP. What could possibly go wrong?

Turn 37, that's what. In a heart-wrenching combination of factors, victory is ripped out of LC's hands:
  1. Tentacruel is faster, so even without the burn, he would have 2HKO'd Steelix before Steelix could have 2HKO'd it
  2. Tentacruel successfully burns Steelix, so now it only takes 24% HP damage instead of 48% HP damage.
Turn 38 comes and goes and so does Steelix.

Turn 39's mistake is the third and final big mistake of the match that LC makes and it arguably costs him. (I doubt he'd have won anyway at this point , but you never know.) He tries to make a sub but Tentacruel is faster and does enough damage to Klang that there's no way for it to make a substitute with what little energy it has left. If he had instead done his Gear Shift thing this turn, ramping up his speed and his attack, he might have then outsped Tentacruel on the next turn (maybe? I don't know LC's Klang's speed) and with a few lucky crits on Gear Grind been able to KO the jellyfish. Alternatively -- and hindsight bias's a bitch like this, I realize, but still -- if he had sent out Aggron instead of Klang, Aggron would have likely KO'd Tentacruel (so long as he still didn't get burned) and this would have then left Dave's Drapion to square off against Klang. Unfortunately, this is where even hindsight bias begins to lose its appeal since, as we know, Sniper Choice Band Drapion would have likely OHKO'd Klang anyway with one swift Earthquake.

In the end, you both tried your hardest. Dave proves in this match what tenacity he has. I'm confident that this is something he's probably known for in the PASBL as well. As for Lonely Cubone ... this match proves, once again, that it isn't so much the type vs. type that matters as it is the type vs. move-types the other guy has that matters. Dave simply had one too many fighting and ground-type moves to let you eke out a win.
Old 01-12-2012, 05:11 PM   #273
Talon87
時の彼方へ

ATTENTION, DUELISTS!!!

Some of you have been reporting difficulties getting battle logs to save properly. I believe this to be a problem with the newest version of the Pokemon-Online software. However, I also believe that we may have solved the problem, given an experiment with a positive result I just conducted with someone who was experiencing this very problem (Yougirasu). So if you're one of the people for whom battle logs haven't been saving, CLICK THE SPOILER BOX BELOW to read instructions on how to easily save logs. Everyone else, have a good day and disregard this post.

Step 1: Battle Options --> Save Battle Logs --> uncheck this

Step 2: Fight somebody.

Step 3: Check the checkbox that says "Save log".

Step 4: Have fun.

Step 5 (Optional?): After the battle, you be the one to close the window. (This may not be important, but it's what I told Yougi to do and so, if you don't do this and your logs still aren't showing up, then please do do this step.) This step is not optional. See update below.

Step 6: Go to the folder that P-O told you it was saving logs to. (The one you find by going to Battle Options --> Change log folder ...)

Step 7: Your log should be in there.

This method worked for Yougirasu. If it works for you, please confirm. If it does not work for you, please also confirm.

WARNING: If you have an older version of the Pokemon-Online software and decided to read this spoiler anyway, you probably should not do ANY of what I just said. Saving logs should work for you perfectly fine the old-fashioned way where you can have both the menu listing and the battle window listing checked off. Following these instructions if you have older P-O software may wind up making you not save your logs properly. So don't follow this advice unless you were already having problems in the first place.

EDIT-UPDATE: Yougirasu is reporting that Step 5 is not optional. Therefore, I'm going to strikeout the optional text above. It seems my second hunch was also right and that there's some glitchy stuff going on with the newest P-O's way of processing the end of battles. So ... yeah. You have to be the one to exit first or else it won't save on your end. This means that if you both have the newest P-O, unfortunately only one of you is going to get to have a copy of the log.

As for an explanation about what I think is going on ... (optional reading)
Old P-O:
You can have both settings checked. All it cares is, "Is it checked? Y/N?" Local checks (or unchecks) trump global ones, meaning ...
  • if menu is checked and box is checked, then it saves
  • if menu is checked and box is unchecked, then it does not save
  • if menu is unchecked and box is checked, then it saves
  • if both are unchecked, then it does not save
All the menu really does is to preemptively check (or not check) the checkbox in your battle windows. That's all.

New P-O:
It appears that for some reason the decision to save logs is calling both the global checkbox and the local checkbox and is multiplying their results together and doing a sign check. Meaning ... if we define Save = -1 and Do Not Save = +1 that ...
  • if both are checked off, ironically, it doesn't save (because -1 x -1 = +1)
  • if only one or the other is checked off, then it saves (because -1 x 1 = -1)
  • if neither is checked off, then of course it doesn't save (and incidentally +1 x +1 = +1)
So the only way to get it to save, it seems, is to tell the menu "NO!" but to tell the battle box "YES!". That's what we just did with you guys above.

Maybe I'm right, maybe I'm wrong. In any event, hopefully it gets sorted out in the inevitable next update to P-O.

EDIT: New information from Yougirasu. See the bottom of the first spoiler box for more details.

Last edited by Talon87; 01-12-2012 at 05:28 PM.
Old 01-12-2012, 05:33 PM   #274
Lonely Cubone
Gee, Brain...

Anyone seen/heard from Speevy?
Old 01-12-2012, 05:35 PM   #275
DaveTheFishGuy
Primordial Fishbeast

She said she hasn't made a team on Monday and was just lurking on PO a bit.

Aside from that, no. But if ASB is any indication she'll take a while.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON