Star Wars 7 in 2015; Disney acquires Lucasfilm for $4B

http://thewaltdisneycompany.com/disn...-lucasfilm-ltd

Welp, can't say I didn't see it coming.

MAL - Fizzy Bubbles - Twitter

deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 03:55 PM   #2
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

Ugh. Will George Lucas never be happy with his original success?
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 04:03 PM   #3
deoxys
Fog Badge

George Lucas isn't directing, thank god.
Old 10-30-2012, 04:11 PM   #4
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Lucasfilm ... is now owned by Disney!? More importantly, 20th Century Fox decided that public confidence in George Lucas was so low that his studio was only worth $4 billion?

One has to wonder what this will mean for older films. Will Fox retain distribution rights on Star Wars (1-6)? Will Paramount retain distribution rights on Indiana Jones? I guess only time will tell.

The article is sadly sparse on details for the seventh film. Will it be Episode VII? When will it be set? Will it trample upon the sometimes great sometimes shitty Expanded Universe? What will the story be? Will it be mostly new faces or mostly old ones? Are we to assume Grandma Leia, Grandpa Han, and Old Luke Skywalker will be showing up? I have to say that my confidence in this film being any good has been shot to hell by the three prequels. Although I also felt that Episode 1 was by far the worst of the prequels so it's not like all hope for improvement is lost.

LOLOLOL STAR TOURS IS ACTUALLY A DISNEY-RELEVANT RIDE NOW!
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 04:12 PM   #5
Tyranidos
beebooboobopbooboobop

Send a message via AIM to Tyranidos Send a message via MSN to Tyranidos
I love how everyone hates George Lucas even though he made the shit people are crying over in the first place.
Old 10-30-2012, 04:16 PM   #6
deoxys
Fog Badge

@Talon -

No details yet, but people expect the Thrawn trilogy atm

@ T-dos -

No one is arguing he didn't make an amazing universe, he just blows at directing.
Old 10-30-2012, 04:21 PM   #7
deoxys
Fog Badge

Hold the phone!

Quote:
[Disney] also confirmed a long-term plan of releasing a new feature Star Wars film every two to three years — beyond the planned Episodes 7, 8, and 9.

source

This... this I don't know how to feel about.
Old 10-30-2012, 04:48 PM   #8
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by deoxys View Post
@Talon -

No details yet, but people expect the Thrawn trilogy atm
Aww, and here I was planning on re-reading those books some time in the near future too. Guess now I'll just have to wait so the films can be the ones to surprise me instead of the revisited novels. I would've read those books back in 1997 or thereabouts ... so it's been fifteen years since I read them. Forgive me if my memory's a little rusty on the details!

In before Disney's vision of the Noghri 99% doesn't line up with my own, the only thing they have in common being that they're black. (That was certainly the case with the artwork in the PC game Star Wars: Rebellion. Ugh.)
Old 10-30-2012, 05:06 PM   #9
deoxys
Fog Badge

BORKED
Old 10-30-2012, 05:16 PM   #10
DaveTheFishGuy
Primordial Fishbeast

Send a message via Skype™ to DaveTheFishGuy
Good grief.

Fizzy Bubbles - Cable Club Post - Wild Future

Spoiler: show

Various awesome artstuffs by DaisyInari

DaveTheFishGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 05:18 PM   #11
phoopes
Double Dragon

I think one of my buds on Smogon summed it up the best:

<shnen> next disney princess: princess leia

Yup, seems like a bad idea to me too.
Old 10-30-2012, 05:21 PM   #12
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Hold the phone!
This was in your original press release. I just don't think any of us had read that far initially.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney press release
The last Star Wars movie release was 2005's Revenge of the Sith – and we believe there's substantial pent up demand. In 2015, we're planning to release Star Wars Episode 7 – the first feature film under the "Disney-Lucasfilm" brand. That will be followed by Episodes 8 and 9 – and our long term plan is to release a new Star Wars feature film every two to three years.
A new film every two to three years sounds like it could be every Expanded Universe fan's wet dream ... or every franchise fan (Expanded Universe fans and non-fans alike)'s worst nightmare. A lot of it will depend on the answers Disney provides to questions like:
  • Are you able and willing to make a Star Wars film with minimal to zero focus on Jedi and Sith? And can you make it a film which will interest the public audience?
  • Can we expect more like Empire Strikes Back or more like Return of the Jedi? (Translation: lunar teddy bears. Yes or no?)
  • When it comes to alien races, will you be:
    1. rehashing old races? (C-3PO droids and R2-D2 droids everywhere, Wookies everywhere, Hutts everywhere, Mandalorian armor everywhere ...)
    2. coming up with novel races that people take to like fish to water? (Think Yoda in Episode V.) Or
    3. coming up with novel races that are total shit? (Think the prequels' Jedi Council, the Trade Federation race, the locust-like aliens in Episode 2, and so on.)
  • and much more!
Depending on their answers, I can easily see fans losing hope in these "once every 2-3 years" films being any good.

As for the Zahn trilogy, I'm still not sold. As a kid when I read those books I was certainly pleased with them but I never said to myself "Wow, these are just as good as the original films!" The villain, cool as he was in many ways, was really hindered by how Zahn wrote him in others. (I didn't care for the whole "there were twelve Grand Admirals and I was the only alien among them" racial angle. And I never felt like Thrawn was a villain who ranked up there with Vader. Never mind how lame I felt C'baoth was. >_>) Were Zahn's books the best of the Expanded Universe bunch? Yes No, I personally preferred Ann C. Crispin's Han Solo trilogy to just about any Star Wars book series I've ever read. But Zahn's books were definitely up there. Way better than Shadows of the Empire which to this day astonishes me for being the first fanfic Lucas gave permission to for being published as a Lucas-sanctioned Star Wars book. Way better than The Courtship of Princess Leia which I'm not even sure if I ever finished. ^^; Better, and more memorable, than some of the other books I'm sure I read but I've completely forgotten about. So yeah, it's the best of a weak bunch of books. But that's just the thing: they're all (in my opinion and experience combined) weak books. Not a fan of ...

(spoiler for the end of Zahn's books and beyond? Yeah I guess. Click only if you don't care period.)
Jaden and Jaina Solo. Definitely not a fan of Anakin Solo. Not really a fan of "lolol Luke's managed to make a Jedi Academy with hundreds of students in such little time even though he doesn't know the first thing about teaching others how to become Jedi." Not really a fan of the whole Mara Jade character, let alone her relationship with Luke. (I like her as she relates to Talon Karrde but once we start talking Palpatine and Luke her character makes me roll my eyes.)

If I had to pick anything Star Wars property to see turned into a film, tbh it would probably be BioWare's Knights of the Old Republic. Just tell the Light Side Best End version of the story and you've got yourself an awesome film everyone can enjoy. My second pick would be Crispin's Han Solo trilogy but I realize it's not for everyone and casting would be a bitch because you want a 20-year old Harrison Ford but you're not going to be able to get a 20-year old Harrison Ford. ^^;
Old 10-30-2012, 05:33 PM   #13
deoxys
Fog Badge

Ugh, you make a good point - if the movies starred Luke, Leia, and Han - who would play them?

Besides Shia LeBouf, Miley Cyrus, and Nick Jonas?

Part of me would love to see a reunion of the actors in their current ages, but that would mess with some canon in the EU wouldn't it?
Old 10-30-2012, 05:42 PM   #14
DaveTheFishGuy
Primordial Fishbeast

While I mostly agree with Talon's point, I for one liked the Geonosians. But then I'm a sucker for insects.

Honestly I've never dabbled much in the EU - could but never been arsed with it - so I have no idea how certain things go bar things like Leia becoming Force-sensitive and lots of children happening. I mean I love Clone Wars (the good one, not the 3D one) but that's literally it.

Anyway. Not sure how Episode VII would go down. Since both existing Trilogies occupy different time frames to each other, having it be set a good while in the future would seem to be the most logical choice. I agree that not having a Jedi/Sith focus would be good, mind.
Old 10-30-2012, 05:45 PM   #15
DaveTheFishGuy
Primordial Fishbeast

Also I've just noticed that the thread title says '$48'. Surely it wasn't that low :p
Old 10-30-2012, 06:01 PM   #16
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Oh God. D: Oh God no.

I see that Mickey and am reminded of this.
Old 10-30-2012, 06:16 PM   #17
deoxys
Fog Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTheFishGuy View Post
Also I've just noticed that the thread title says '$48'. Surely it wasn't that low :p
Check your eyes, bro, it says 4B, as in 4 Billion
Old 10-30-2012, 06:18 PM   #18
DaveTheFishGuy
Primordial Fishbeast

Ah yes, that's more like it.

Though my eyes being broken is hardly news.
Old 10-30-2012, 06:22 PM   #19
deoxys
Fog Badge

Talon's post made me sad.
Old 10-30-2012, 07:28 PM   #20
Shuckle
Problematic Fave

I absolutely luuuuurv Mara Jade. The concept of her character is one of my favorites. I'd have to say that she's one of the very, very few truly gray characters in the Star Wars universe. I find her complex and interesting, but I do realize there is no accounting for taste.

I'm not sure how I feel about Disney though...Talon's picture is making me fear the worst. Hopefully it's not going to be a bad film(s)! *crosses fingers*
Old 10-30-2012, 07:28 PM   #21
PikaGod
Marsh Badge

I don't know, I wouldn't mind seeing maybe a little short before the movie or something about Mickey Mouse Star Wars.

In regards to the actual buy out and seventh movie, I really couldn't care less. I have never really liked Star Wars, growing up it never appealed to me, with the exception of the racing game that was released on N64 that was based on the first prequel and was amazing. Though I would probably be interested in watching the seventh movie if it didn't focus on Jedis and Siths.
Old 10-30-2012, 07:34 PM   #22
DaveTheFishGuy
Primordial Fishbeast

Regarding people cacking themselves over it being Disney - they own Marvel now and The Avengers turned out alright.

>the racing game that was released on N64 that was based on the first prequel and was amazing

Star Wars Episode I: Racer? My god that was a terrible game.

The Rogue Squadron series, on the other hand...
Old 10-30-2012, 07:43 PM   #23
deoxys
Fog Badge

Star Wars Episode I: Racer was a GREAT game, what are you talking about!?

Oh God I loved the Rogue Squadron series, and the Battlefront series, too...

tfw Disney now owns the rights to Lucasarts and Indiana Jones, too.

Oh hey, also, let me remind everyone that Disney took over Marvel and the Avengers turned out alright, too, yes? (edit: DOH, Dave just pointed this out)

tfw Avengers + Star Wars crossover in Kingdom Hearts 3 is imminent

Last edited by deoxys; 10-30-2012 at 07:45 PM.
Old 10-30-2012, 07:55 PM   #24
phoopes
Double Dragon

Just popping in to say that Disney now owns Marvel too, and... oh wait, Dave stole my point. While I'm here though, I agree with Deo in that the Battlefront games were great, especially the second one.
Old 10-30-2012, 07:57 PM   #25
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

Quote:
tfw Avengers + Star Wars crossover in Kingdom Hearts 3 is imminent
Don't joke about that. Some KH fan will take it seriously and either joygasm out or rageout.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Entertainment