UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > Independent Forums > Fizzy Bubbles > FB Development

Old 04-25-2017, 11:39 AM   #26
OkikuMew
Droppin' CDs and beats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schala View Post
Resets:
Specific thread is good. No forced resets (barring a possible currency reset if people feel it is necessary for the economy). People can choose what parts to reset. Pokemon can be dropped off at the Adoption Center by the person resetting if they want.
Yeah, I agree a new thread for this should be done. Although I want to add my little two cents: I think Pokémon can also be traded off too (if, say, the "resetter" wants to give back a specific Pokémon in its full form) but I think it goes without saying.

A bit out of the subject but still related to Starters a bit, should we just remove the rule that you can't trade off/put to adoption your starter? I don't think a lot of people will do that anyway (I mean come on, it is your starter) but I don't see why it should be unforced, especially since it can be done in the games. I think the only rule that should be upheld is that everyone has to have minimum 1 Pokémon. (Although it would be funny/cool on an RP standpoint to see someone play without a Pokémon, somehow.)

Art || FB || WF || Tumblr
OkikuMew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 12:24 PM   #27
Emi
Barghest Barghest Barghe-

Send a message via Skype™ to Emi
So let's see if we can try to knock out some kind of proposal at the moment:

Registration: -Minimal effort, RP test for approval, possibility to use RP test as a zone intro
Starters: Minimal restrictions, no evolution except in specific cases, no ultra rare pokemon
Reset: Reset thread to log changes, dropped Pokemon go into the AC, no real restrictions on resetting since its always a net negative
Old 04-28-2017, 01:43 PM   #28
Missingno. Master
An actual game I made!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emi View Post

Registration: -Minimal effort, RP test for approval, possibility to use RP test as a zone intro
Starters: Minimal restrictions, no evolution except in specific cases, no ultra rare pokemon
Reset: Reset thread to log changes, dropped Pokemon go into the AC, no real restrictions on resetting since its always a net negative
This sounds pretty good to me.
Old 04-29-2017, 10:19 PM   #29
PikaGod
Marsh Badge

Quote:
Is it optional for the dropped pokemon to go to the AC, cause I have certain pokemon that I don't want anyone else to have after I reset?
Old 05-01-2017, 02:14 AM   #30
Schala
Savior of Pokemon-kind

Quote:
I think at the moment the best thing for us to do Schala is agree to disagree. I do think you bring up good points, and regardless if I agree with them or not I think the community should keep them in mind.
(Apologies for not replying earlier, helping move from two different places in one week has kept me busy.) Sure, we'll agree to disagree on starters.

Quote:
This is a good idea but I do have one concern on this: what if the zone they want to write an intro to is full? Let's say they really like Phantom Isle, but none of the updators in Phantom Isle have any spots open? This could be an issue in that they would probably have to write an entire intro again. A minor one, but I think if we want to do this its one we should address. It might be a good idea to mention in the registration test which zones are open, and allow to newcomer to either A) make an intro to a zone that's open or B) make an intro to a zone that's closed if they really wish. We could even potentially allow reservations, but that might introduce a kettle of worms.
I think as long as it is made clear that making an intro for a full zone means you won't be able to start in that zone immediately, it would work. Given that the zones are currently archived, I'm not sure if I am remembering incorrectly, or the posts are just buried in some cases, so please correct me if I am wrong, but didn't at least some of them have a list of the currently active updaters in the first or second post? If one of the ZAs jobs was to maintain the list of active updaters in a zone and whether they had spots open, it would be fairly easy for either the person sending the test to list zones with spots open, or to tell the test taker to check the zone before they make an intro post.

I definitely wouldn't want to restrict them to only making intro posts to zones with open spots. If a person has a really good idea for an intro to a full Phantom Isle and would prefer to write that for their test rather than an intro to another open zone, as long as they understand that they can't start that adventure immediately, I wouldn't stop them. Intro posts don't really expire, so even if they can't use it right then, there's nothing stopping them from using it when spots become available.

Basically, as long as it is made clear that intros can't be posted to full zones, I believe the test taker should be able to use an intro for the RPing part of the test. Worst case, they can't use it until a spot opens up, but they still have it. And best case, they can post the intro they wrote for the test as soon as they are notified that they passed the test, and immediately start adventuring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkikuMew View Post
Yeah, I agree a new thread for this should be done. Although I want to add my little two cents: I think Pokémon can also be traded off too (if, say, the "resetter" wants to give back a specific Pokémon in its full form) but I think it goes without saying.

A bit out of the subject but still related to Starters a bit, should we just remove the rule that you can't trade off/put to adoption your starter? I don't think a lot of people will do that anyway (I mean come on, it is your starter) but I don't see why it should be unforced, especially since it can be done in the games. I think the only rule that should be upheld is that everyone has to have minimum 1 Pokémon. (Although it would be funny/cool on an RP standpoint to see someone play without a Pokémon, somehow.)
(I actually was just agreeing with having a thread dedicated to keeping track of resets, but a separate thread to discuss the particulars of resetting is fine as well!)

I think people resetting should have the option to trade away, release (unless we are completely getting rid of releasing), or send to the adoption center whatever Pokemon they want, yes.

It seemed to me that people were discussing being able to reset their starter and pick a new one, so in that case their original starter would have to be released. I'm not sure how I feel about lifting restrictions on trading a starter, because from my point of view, I wouldn't do it. I suppose unless people fear that it would be abused (and I could think of a few ways it could technically be), there's nothing really stopping us from lifting the restriction. If people want to completely redo their character and their starter no longer fits, at the very least allowing people to "reset" their starter, even if we keep them untradable otherwise, is acceptable to me.

Quote:

I think it might be worth discussing the ability of people resetting to choose releasing versus putting all Pokemon into the AC, but other than that, I generally agree.
Schala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 02:05 PM   #31
Emi

Personally I don't really feel that releasing serves much of a purpose. You could probably just archive the Pokemon if you really felt you didn't want anyone else to have it.

Are there any more opinions on this? This is one of those things I feel like we could wrap up and get finished very soon.
Old 05-02-2017, 02:21 PM   #32
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Personally I don't really feel that releasing serves much of a purpose. You could probably just archive the Pokemon if you really felt you didn't want anyone else to have it.
The only way that releasing has ever made any sense to me is:
  1. You want to release the Pokémon from your team, for whatever reason(s).
  2. Simply ceasing using the Pokémon (while it stays on your squad) doesn't achieve the desired effect(s): it has to be a full release.
  3. Nobody wants to trade for the Pokémon OR somebody does want to trade for it but you don't want to hand it over to them, for whatever reason(s).
The second half of #3 is why I think people release. For some, it might be, "If I trade it away, then it isn't really released into the wild. I want the Pokémon to be truly released into the wild, to enjoy a happy life out there. I specifically don't want for them to wind up with some other trainer." For others, it might be personal: they specifically don't want so-and-so to scoop up their old teammate, and no one else wants it. I dunno. It could even be other reasons than these two. The point is, for some reason they can't just do with a simple trade-away or PC deposit: it has to be a full-blown release to emotionally satisfy.

So the question really only boils down to, "Do you respect that emotional satisfaction more than you do the competing emotional satisfaction that would come from people who wanted to scoop up the Pokémon?" Because I can guarantee you that in the vast majority of cases when something gets released there is someone else who would have been happy to have owned it. So it's that competition of satisfactions there.

I feel there's an easy compromise here, if I have in fact hit the nail on the head. And that compromise is this:
  • on the one hand, the released Pokémon truly is released into the wild. Good-bye, levels. Good-bye, history. Good-bye, everything. He's released and, barring staff intervention, he's never coming back. So if you're the original trainer and you wanted this for story-based reasons, then congrats: you got it.
  • on the other hand, the staff can announce that a Lv.1 baby, canonically unrelated to the released Pokémon, has been dropped off at the Adoption Center (if we're keeping the AC) / has been spotted on a street near downtown City Name (if we're scrapping the AC, and would make this an RP-based raffle instead). Interested players can report in to the AC / to the event thread (whichever applies) to have a shot at getting the Lv.1 Pokémon. In the interests of politeness / UPN's central tenet, the new owner of the Level 1 is prohibited from retconning a backstory for this Pokémon that would in any way, shape, or form directly relate it to the released Pokémon. (For example, you can't say your Gible is the reincarnation of the Garchomp, or that it's his son, or that it's him and he drank a youth potion, or whatever else. Sorry -- he's a different, entirely unrelated Gible.)
This ensures that people who want a chance to play with the species aren't being trolled by releasers, while at the same time ensures that releasers coming from a good place aren't told "No. Sorry. Disallowed" by staff.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 02:55 PM   #33
Schala
Savior of Pokemon-kind

Quote:

Are there any more opinions on this? This is one of those things I feel like we could wrap up and get finished very soon.
I see it as having a use for people planning to reset. Maybe they want to start over and are okay with trading away or sending to the AC most Pokemon, but have some that are special to them. Maybe their starter, or maybe just a handful of Pokemon that they spent years crafting a story for and they have a specific way they want it to end and they don't want those Pokemon to be picked up by someone else because they want that story to have a nice, definitive, finish.

Obviously, if all of the people planning to start over are fine with their Pokemon going to the AC, then it isn't really an issue. But if some of them have special Pokemon that they would rather be permanently retired, I think they should be able to release them.

Talon's idea would solve people releasing rare Pokemon that people want. Though my personal opinion on it is that it is their Pokemon, so it is their choice on whether someone else gets a shot at it, if people fear abuse of some kind, then it could alleviate some of that.

Sure, people could just "archive" a Pokemon and not do anything with it, especially if we no longer have PC slots, but I'm not positive that would be sufficient closure for everyone. Again, if everyone who is resetting is happy with the current options and feels that they don't need to release any Pokemon, then it is a non issue. I just want to make sure that it is discussed as an option for those people if they want it.
Old 05-02-2017, 03:54 PM   #34
Emi

I think the second option you gave Talon is a good compromise and would be happy to implement that.
Old 05-03-2017, 09:00 PM   #35
Emi

The reset thread has been implemented, and registration will be soon to follow. If there are any more opinions on registration, please post them here.
Old 05-04-2017, 09:24 AM   #36
Emi

Welcome to Fizzy Bubbles!

Welcome to the wonderful world of Fizzy Bubbles! We would be very pleased if you would join our humble RP. In order to join, the process is very simple! To join, simply sign out the form below.

Code:
Trainer Name: 
Starter Pokemon: 
Background:
After you have filled out the form, we will send you a brief registration test, making sure that you can RP well enough to keep your head above the water, so to speak. If you pass, you will be able to join Fizzy Bubbles, making a Member Post and picking up the following Startwe Pack for all adventurers!

Fizzy Bubbles Starter Pack:
x1 Backpack
x1 Pokedex
x1 Fishing Rod
x1 Berry Bag
x1 Pokeblock Case
x5 Pokeballs
x5 Rare Candies
x1 TM Return / Frustration
$3000 Pokedollars

Starter Pokemon Rules: While the starter rules in FB were more strict in the past, currently they will allow you to pick up any non-evolved Pokemon in the game. The only exception to this is Pikachu, because its like popular or something. There are only a few Pokemon which are considered so rare that they can be starter Pokemon:

-Legendaries, Fossil Pokemon, Spiritomb, Type: Null, Phione, Porygon, Rotom, and Zorua.

Starters can be shiny if you wish as well!

would this be acceptable for a registration thread op folks? probably needs some cleaning up / fleshing out.
Old 05-04-2017, 09:32 AM   #37
Missingno. Master
An actual game I made!

Over in the economy thread, the idea's been voiced about including a Key Stone and Z-Ring in starter packs, as well as 3,000 coins. Perhaps those could be added to this? Other than that, this looks pretty good.
Old 05-04-2017, 09:34 AM   #38
Emi

Coins are not to be added at the moment because we really don't know how they are going to work.

Keystones and Z-rings will be given to you when you get your first Mega Stone / Z Crystal, if people are fine with that. Personally it just makes more sense to me.
Old 05-04-2017, 09:35 AM   #39
Raves
a quick fly cuppa

Location: Life and love make fools of us all. Gods reject the existence of love and life.
Send a message via Skype™ to Raves
Quote:

Welcome to the wonderful world of Fizzy Bubbles! We would be very pleased if you would join our humble RP. In order to join, the process is very simple! To join, simply sign out the form below.

Code:
Trainer Name: 
Starter Pokemon: 
Background:
After you have filled out the form, we will send you a brief registration test, making sure that you can RP well enough to keep your head above the water, so to speak. If you pass, you will be able to join Fizzy Bubbles, making a Member Post and picking up the following Startweer Pack for all adventurers!

x1 Backpack
x1 Pokedex
x1 Fishing Rod
x1 Berry Bag
x1 Pokeblock Case
x5 Pokeballs
x5 Rare Candies
$3000 Pokedollars

Starter Pokemon Rules: While the starter rules in FB were more strict in the past, currently they will allow you to pick up any non-evolved Pokemon in the game. The only exception to this is Pikachu, because its like popular or somethingdue to its position as official mascot of Pokemon. Each starter will come at level 5. There are only a few Pokemon which are considered so rare that they can't be starter Pokemon:

-Legendaries, Fossil Pokemon, Spiritomb, Type: Null, Phione, Porygon, Rotom, and Zorua.

would this be acceptable for a registration thread op folks? probably needs some cleaning up / fleshing out.
I've gave a bit of a tidy up on my end, with one or two small things, mostly typoes.

Red indicates things I'd remove, green for things to add, and blue for things I have discrepancies about.

Discrepancies:

-5 candies seems a bit much to begin with, is there any reason for this, or is it due to the fact that someone may adopt a pokemon and wish to uplevel it? If so, then 4 candies would bring that adopted mon to level 5 like the starter.

-On a similar vein, I feel the newcomer should have a choice of either a TM for Return/Frustration, or one of their starter pokemon's type, so long as said TM has a base power of 60 or lower.

-Pikachu would need a more canon explanation for it being a starter, and my suggestion seems more formal.

If I could ask a question though, what would the registration test curtail, exactly?

Aside from, these nuances, things look fine.

Unruly Premonition.
Raves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 09:37 AM   #40
Emi

5 Rare Candies because I like the number 5 better than 4 and because it gives new people more of a cushion to sit on when they first start.

That was supposed to be an or, whoops. You can only claim one of the two TMs. Also I don't like the other idea, there are some types (Ghost iirc?) which don't have below 60 power moves as TMs and we'd have to make compromises.
Old 05-04-2017, 09:38 AM   #41
Raves
a quick fly cuppa

Location: Life and love make fools of us all. Gods reject the existence of love and life.
Send a message via Skype™ to Raves
That's fine, it was merely a suggestion, and what you've proposed makes sense.

Unruly Premonition.
Raves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 10:32 AM   #42
Nerd Violence
Sayonara Bye Bye

Quote:

Code:
Trainer Name: 
Starter Pokemon: 
Background:
After you have filled out the form, we will send you a brief registration test, making sure that you can RP well enough to keep your head above the water, so to speak. If you pass, you will be able to join Fizzy Bubbles, making a Member Post and picking up the following Startwe Pack for all adventurers!

x1 Backpack
x1 Pokedex
x1 Fishing Rod
x1 Berry Bag
x1 Pokeblock Case
x5 Pokeballs
x5 Rare Candies
$3000 Pokedollars

Starter Pokemon Rules: While the starter rules in FB were more strict in the past, currently they will allow you to pick up any non-evolved Pokemon in the game. The only exception to this is Pikachu, because its like popular or something. There are only a few Pokemon which are considered so rare that they can be starter Pokemon:

:P Can I retcon Kai t be shiny then?

Also, that's way better than the starter pack I got, do older members get four free rare candies and a free TM Return? :P :P :P

K I'm done shitposting now.

Meet me at
Spirit ★ World

!!!

Nerd Violence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 04:40 PM   #43
Emi

There have been three changes discussed so far:

-Removing all restrictions except for legends, Type: Null, and Phione
-Making it so starters can't be shiny
-Allowing starters to have an Egg or MT move at the start

I plan on having registration up later today, but any more opinions are helpful.
Old 05-04-2017, 04:44 PM   #44
Missingno. Master
An actual game I made!

Quote:

I plan on having registration up later today, but any more opinions are helpful.
1: So we'd be removing the restriction on starting with fossil Pokémon? Not sure how I feel about that, considering we're talking species of Pokémon largely considered to be extinct.

2: I got no problem allowing people to have Shiny starters, but I'm also cool with not allowing it. Either one works, IMO.

3: Now that I like, allowing starters to have a free Egg/MT move to start with.
Old 05-04-2017, 04:55 PM   #45
Altocharizard55
The Scientist

I'm personally not in favor of allowing Fossil Pokemon to be acquirable as starters. Having said that, I have a more restrictive viewpoint than I believe a lot of people taking part in this discussion.
Old 05-04-2017, 07:10 PM   #46
Emi

There is the concern that its drawing a line in the sand that doesn't need to be in there. It's not something I really agree with, but I will say that erring on the side of letting people have what they want is probably a better idea.
Old 05-04-2017, 09:22 PM   #47
Schala
Savior of Pokemon-kind

Quote:

Restrictions: I'm generally in favor of less restricted species. I don't have particularly strong feelings either way on fossil Pokemon. The fact that they are only available as fossils in game means that I think you could easily argue making them restricted. Whatever the majority wants on fossils. I believe Type: Null and Phione should be restricted given their unique properties, along with legendaries. (I do ask that, even if we aren't using one criteria to decide what is allowed, it is as clearly stated as possible why a Pokemon is considered too rare to be a starter. For clarity and transparency.)

Shiny starters: If this is going to be a thing, either every member who is not restarting/picking a new starter needs to be okay with not having a shiny starter, or there needs to be a grace period or ability for them to retcon their starter to shiny if they want to. Otherwise, I worry about people being upset about not getting the chance to start with a shiny. I think it'd be less messy to just not allow it, personally. If it is allowed, I'd be a lot more heavily in favor of starters remaining untradable as well.

MT/Egg moves: I say go for it. It helps them have a better movepool to start with for RPing, and unless people speak up saying it is unfair for them to miss out on (given that MT/EMs can be obtained easily enough, I don't see that as too likely) I don't have a problem with it at all.
Old 05-04-2017, 10:54 PM   #48
Gemini Spark
Weavile Pillow

Send a message via Skype™ to Gemini Spark
Quote:

I don't think it makes sense for trainers to start with Fossil Pokemon, especially from an RP perspective without it seeming contrived in some way. The other two things I'm totally fine with, especially the bonus move. I speak from experience, having only a Pokemon that needed a candy just to get a damage move was not particularly fun.

Battlecut made by the crazy Daisy! *happy snek sounds*
Twitch | YouTube | Twitter | Wild Future
Gemini Spark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 03:31 AM   #49
Ironthunder
The Uncultured One

Send a message via Skype™ to Ironthunder
Quote:

Code:
Trainer Name: 
Starter Pokemon: 
Background:

x1 Backpack
x1 Pokedex
x1 Fishing Rod
x1 Berry Bag
x1 Pokeblock Case
x5 Pokeballs
x5 Rare Candies
$3000 Pokedollars

Quick nitpick, but the bolded sentence is implying that these are starters, but the discussion implies it they aren't. This should probably be fixed before it goes live.
Old 05-05-2017, 07:14 AM   #50
Emi

The mods and I have discussed the potential changes and decided that although it can be viewed as arbitrary, we would like to make it so fossils cannot be starter Pokemon. They're an extinct species, it shouldn't be that easy and any attempt to make it gated by background (i.e. you have to be a scientist) is really contrived.

With this, I feel the issue has been resolved. It's been great to hear your opinions everyone and get something definitive done. This thread will remain open if people have any further suggestions any of the topics, but as for right now we have a working registration OP and we'd like to get it set up.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > Independent Forums > Fizzy Bubbles > FB Development