UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Video Games

Old 06-13-2019, 10:30 PM   #551
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Lil' Bluey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
So what's going on between these two? Is there attraction? I can't really tell through the censored dialogue...would help if I had the original Japanese to look at. But, Locke clearly has his obligations to Ms. Dead Body in Kohlingen. I also think that the swoon is more from Celes toward Locke than the other way around. He was spending most of his time trying to atone - from his perspective he can't do enough. But from Celes' POV, Locke has been her knight in shining armour.

Ultimately, I think the story has gotten a lot better since Scooby Doo opened the chest of demons. It's moved out of cringeworthy territory and into an "interesting" borough.
Locke and Celes definitely have the best chemistry. (Although Edgar is bae. <3 *shot*) The story overall does take a huge shift in the second part, and kinda goes the "VN" route of letting you choose which characters' paths to focus on. They might not be anything novel nowadays, but I think what it comes down to is that for many people, it was their first exposure to these kinds of tales/tropes. I know Locke's "treasure hunter" persona heavily influenced a lot of my RP characters' creation. His relationship with Celes is again one of the strongest/most memorable parts of the plot, and the opera scene was iconic for its time. As much as I myself hold nostalgic fondness for it, it's admittedly a dated title at this point and likely held in the same high regard by older fans as those who grew up with FF7 do towards it (and after watching the remake trailer for the latter, I'd love to see FF6 get the same royal treatment someday). Or to use a Zelda example, while I wasn't really impressed by ALttP when I got around to trying it after OoT, I can appreciate how it was a groundbreaker for its genre. Meanwhile Link's Awakening was actually my first Zelda game I played a ton as a kid, and am super-stoked for the remake even though I'm aware it by itself is likely nothing special by today's standards, but still was a fresh and unique take at the time that introduced a lot of staples for the series. I imagine new players probably won't get the same innovative experience, but I'm just glad it's not a forgotten entry either. (Incidentally, I watched an informative history video on the "making of" LA, and was surprised to learn just how much of a "passion project" it started out as: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfvk6CJ3v34)

On that note...

GET: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Two years late to the party, but better now than never. ='D What timing too, with the sequel just being announced. \o/ (Avoiding all spoilers such as watching the trailer until I actually finish the first game though. ^^; ) Normally I wait until the next generation console for the price to go down, but with LA + Sword&Shield coming out soon, I caved and tried again to persuade my mom to get a Switch over the weekend (as an early Birthday present), and lo she actually agreed to it this time. =O Haven't gotten a chance to play much beyond the intro (which I've already done in demos), but now that the weekend's here again I can finally mess around with it to my heart's content. X3 Watch out Hyrule, here I come~ *cackles madly and sets grass ablaze*
lilboocorsola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 04:47 AM   #552
Naru
Known Leafeon Enthusiast

Get!:
- Persona Q2: New Cinema Labyrinth

Atlus shit the goddamn bed. I love the first PQ and lemme tell you this one is still good but there's some weird mistranslations in here. I've had to read some pieces of dialouge a few times hoping to actually gauge what they mean. At least the game is still fun? I have a long way to go but other than the translation issues it's been a good time.

Spoiler: show
I do, however, miss the split paths from the first Persona Q. In the first one you could choose to begin with Persona 3 or Persona 4 --- in this one you're forced to start with 5 for story reasons. It's not a dealbreaker by any means, but I wanted my Narukami earlier man.

- Octopath Traveler

I'M LATE. I know. I got my Switch a little late and other more pressing games came out for consoles that I had had longer. I'm excited to start this after all the good things I've heard.

- Collection of Mana

Literally did not want to buy Secret of Mana again but GODDAMMIT. Seiken Densetsu 3 (Trials of Mana) made me weak and having it on the go is worth it. (I know there's a remake coming out but like... them pixel graphics man).
Old 06-15-2019, 12:53 AM   #553
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbluecorsola View Post

Locke and Celes definitely have the best chemistry. (Although Edgar is bae. <3 *shot*) The story overall does take a huge shift in the second part, and kinda goes the "VN" route of letting you choose which characters' paths to focus on. They might not be anything novel nowadays, but I think what it comes down to is that for many people, it was their first exposure to these kinds of tales/tropes. I know Locke's "treasure hunter" persona heavily influenced a lot of my RP characters' creation. His relationship with Celes is again one of the strongest/most memorable parts of the plot, and the opera scene was iconic for its time. As much as I myself hold nostalgic fondness for it, it's admittedly a dated title at this point and likely held in the same high regard by older fans as those who grew up with FF7 do towards it (and after watching the remake trailer for the latter, I'd love to see FF6 get the same royal treatment someday). Or to use a Zelda example, while I wasn't really impressed by ALttP when I got around to trying it after OoT, I can appreciate how it was a groundbreaker for its genre. Meanwhile Link's Awakening was actually my first Zelda game I played a ton as a kid, and am super-stoked for the remake even though I'm aware it by itself is likely nothing special by today's standards, but still was a fresh and unique take at the time that introduced a lot of staples for the series. I imagine new players probably won't get the same innovative experience, but I'm just glad it's not a forgotten entry either. (Incidentally, I watched an informative history video on the "making of" LA, and was surprised to learn just how much of a "passion project" it started out as: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfvk6CJ3v34)
LA still has a powerful and unique story that hasn't been microwaved to death. Some might say a facelift would make it palatable to modern audiences, but I don't agree...the game was made for a specific platform and the script takes this into account. I'd argue that of all the Zelda games, the gameboy games and Majora do not get weaker with time.

Here's a personal quest, find Zelda's diary in BOTW. I think it'll be worth your time.

Final Fantasy VI
FINAL VERDICT: Good

After clearing out DKC3, I didn't know what I wanted to do with my SNES emulator, but BPK was bugging me for a while to try "the greatest RPG ever" so I gave it a shot. And as you all know I HATED it early on.

It got better, and I can definitely see how this game made an impact on people. While I felt good at the end, there are some severe flaws with this game that keeps me well from calling this a masterpiece. And the problem is, a lot of those problems are what people like about the game.

#1...

TOO MANY CHARACTERS

I get that this game tried to do something different with an "ensemble cast", but it's a horrible creative decision to have characters drop out of the main party from time time, then pick up RIGHT where they left off.

A VN does it better, with "routes", because VN writers recognize that relationships are not as on/off as answering/hanging up a telephone. Yes, we don't spend 100% of our lives in the presence of others, but we also don't act like nothing happened during the time apart. It was time apart and became a part of our lives.

In trying to juggle all these characters, not everyone had good or original development. For example, I find it hard to find Setzer a compelling character. Aside from his happy-go-lucky attitude, he has nothing to him except the death of Daryll. Compare that to Cyan, whose story beats went from:

-Introduction as an honourable man
-Tragedy caused by dishonourable means
-Immediate grief and loss for what to do
-Confronted by his failure (Phantom Train)
-Trying to cope with his past (Lola letters)
-Overcoming his demons (dreams in Doma)

I don't even think Cyan's development went in a good direction - the Cyan Soul stuff was unnecessary even if the Phantom Train bit in them was creepier than the real thing - but the boxes were there to check.

Compare to Gau, who is basically: a wild boy. That's it. When Gau was first introduced, it seemed like Cyan might adopt him to replace his recently deceased son, since they are the complete opposite in personality. But nope, that didn't go anywhere.

And it was a problem because the game made room for quantity over quality. Five of the first seven characters (Terra, Locke, Sabin, Celes, Shadow, Cyan) had the strongest storylines of all the characters. None of the characters at the back-end (Gau, Setzer, Strago, Relm, Mog, Umaro and especially Gogo) really had any compelling reason to invest in them as characters, coming late in the story and having no plot payoffs.

I also feel like Terra/Celes were at some point the same character. There's a ton of overlap between them and they actually don't interact much with each other. What they found in development was what was missing from the other. I feel like rather than splitting the two plotlines into two characters Square could have created two mains in Celes and Locke out of that material.

BAD PACING

As mentioned above, having characters drop out was really annoying. The sharp perspective shifts were jarring. But ultimately, the major issue with this is the pacing. Having randbats to slow down the release of the story made it tedious and had me focus on the gameplay elements and trying to survive the overworld, rather than focus on the story.

But the big issue to me was there was like five climaxes.

1. Releasing the Espers from the seal and watching them destroy Vector
2. Gestahl raising the floating continent
3. Destruction of the World of Balance
4. Defeat of the Warring Triad in Kefka's Tower
5. Defeat of Kefka himself

I thought I had entered the World of Ruin after #1, but no, it took like two more climaxes to get to the real deal. So it was hard to get worked up over the final battle against Kefka, which leads me to the final point...

Kefka is a bad main villain

My main beef with Kefka is his backstory says he's brain damaged. That means that for all his psychosis, all his immorality and evil deeds, he's not fully in control of himself. He's ultimately a victim like Celes and Terra.

In the final scene on the floating continent, he doesn't betray Gestahl until Celes stabs him, and he's in a desperate delirium when he calls on the Triad's power. He very quickly loses control of himself, leading to Gestahl's death and the Triad destroying the world.

Outside of Cyan, and maybe Terra, who in the story has personal stakes in killing Kefka?

-not Edgar or Sabin, as Figaro is fine
-Relm, Strago only helped out of obligation for saving Relm's life
-Gau, Umaro, Mog are almost unaligned third parties

I don't care what anyone says - Gestahl is the clear villain of this story, as he has the most blood on his hands and everything to the story builds to him as the boss. His death at Kefka's hands makes for an awkward transition into the World of Ruin, since Kefka flip-flops between wanting to be a god and wanting to destroy everything.

Now. Kefka is a solid antagonist. He and Gestahl compliment each other remarkably well, like a Harvey Dent and Joker combo. That dichotomy is why it seemed weird for Kefka to be the main villain instead of merely the final one.

I thought the final battle was creepy but a little overdone too. The Christian imagery didn't really belong in here, it was really random. It was more fitting in FFVII.

Overall, I think FFVI is a solid title that does not quite hold-up. The RPG system is better served in a mechanics-focused, frame tale story like FFI. The story had enough elements and gradual release schedule that they could have been good, but it was ruined by persistent perspective shifts, party changes, unequal focus and late additions.

I had fun! It was a good way to spend time.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 11:22 AM   #554
Lindz
Kuno's Wife

Dopples posts have convinced me to not give FF6 another try. If I didn't like it the first 3 attempts why would I be dumb enough ta try a 4th after being reminded how much the game sucks?

- Beat!
Tekken 3
Time: 00:13:58
Tekkens weird control-wise! I dun get! Like even less so than other fighting games! Sure I beat it all the same via an easy mode arcade run but still like can ya even jump in this? I didn't figured that out or any special moves or nothing. Oh an for being the 3rd game in the series it sure has a tiny roster! Whats up with that?

Project X Zone 2: Brave New World
Time: 47:08:09
This long overdue replay took place in New Game+ set to Advanced (hard) mode! It still wasn't very hard but ya know thats cool with me! Had a really good time going through this again an now I'm 100% onboard with saying its better than the first one in every single way. I still really wish this series could continue!
Lindz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 10:00 PM   #555
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Lil' Bluey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
Here's a personal quest, find Zelda's diary in BOTW. I think it'll be worth your time.
I was spoiled on one thing in the diary before which breaks my heart, so I'll definitely be keeping an eye out for that. ;( Currently made it to Kakariko (lovin' the new aesthetic) and Hateno Village. Got my first horse: a blue-and-white colored one I named Cloud (and whom I let eat someone's entire carefully tended carrot garden *shot*). As much as I miss Epona, I am pretty happy with my first pick. =3=b

One thing I do appreciate is how there are many multiple ways to acheive the same goal, as there's a lot of freedom of choice when it comes to playstyle. I've seen plenty of people trying out "unconventional" tactics with the game, including this classic "no climbing" vid. (The first five minutes - specifically starting around the 1:20 mark - are a true journey.) I got stuck on one particular puzzle because I was unknowingly making it much harder for myself by utilizing a method different from the one the devs obviously intended, but could've feabily worked had I gotten it right. Meanwhile I found an easy "cheat"/workaround solution for another challenge that involved tilting the controller (although it probably only works when the controller is detached and not when using the mobile Switch screen).

As for FF, I agree the cast is supremely large and not everyone gets the same amount of good development. Perhaps if there ever is a remake someday they'll flesh the neglected ones out some more. Kefka was a fun villain, but I honestly don't remember what his deal was so I guess that speaks to his lack of compelling motivation.
lilboocorsola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 10:53 PM   #556
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Reading up on the Pokemon S&S "faux DLC" by artificially restricting the National Dex, I reminisced about Diablo and how nobody can have that gaming experience again.

Diablo cost $10. After playing through the game proper, you could take your finished character through another round of the game, facing new monsters, Quests and harder difficulty. Once you got sick of single player, you could take Diablo online to Battle.net to play the game with people across the globe, facing even higher difficulty and much richer reward and treasure.

Gamers today think 48 hours is an awful lot of game for $60. I got three years out of Diablo for a paltry $10.

</games where better when I was young>
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 07-09-2019, 02:06 PM   #557
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

Send a message via Skype™ to Concept
Get:

Hitman 2
Slay the Spire
Darkest Dungeon
Wargroove
Shenmue I & II

Steam sale, about Ł50 all told. Held off on Sekiro because as much as I want to play it, it was only 20% off and I was already hitting my self-imposed spending limit.

Only one I've played so far is Slay the Spire. My god I am bad at this game (1 win with each character at the moment out of maybe ~8-10 attempts with each character) but it is so so addictive. My first win came with a Shiv-based Silent deck, the second a Claw-based Defect deck and the third a Demon Form based Ironclad deck. Yet to get a win in Ascension 1 with any of the three haha. Like I said, I'm pretty bad at it. It's just so easy to knock out a run when you're at a loose end for an hour or two.
Concept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 12:46 AM   #558
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I'm playing SMW2: Yoshi's Island and the roulette is RIGGED.

I've done 100 trials and ZERO gave me a positive life. ABSOLUTELY NONE! The game cheats, it has 3 ticks if you're going to land on a 1, 2 or 3, but 2 ticks if you've landed on a 0. It won't let you win at all!
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 08-28-2019, 04:03 PM   #559
Lindz
Kuno's Wife

- Get!
Shenmue 1 & 2 Collection
This time as a gift. Since it seems they've long since given up patching it up any further there was no sense in sitting on rebuying it any longer.

Team Sonic Racing
Also a gift. An from the "World 1" worth of game I played its not fun.

- Beat!
Ni no Kuni 2: Revenant Kingdom
Time: 42:29:46
In alot of ways this was similiar to the original and in alot of ways different. One thing that remained the same was how it hooked me. I was loving just about every moment of playing an finding the game hard to set down! The big downside of this one is the soundtrack, like its just kinda there. Nothing memorable like the first one had or that rpgs in general tend to have. They layers of rewards for clearing quests is back again an I still love that concept! Story and characters were alright, combat was mashy but one of those things ya can turn your brain off for, and town building & skirmishes were great diversions from the regular rpg'ing stuffs!

Resident Evil 4
Time: 11:27:05
After playing RE2 earlier in the year it was only natural that I wanted to revisit this after such a long time away and... can we please have a version of this game with insta-death QTEs removed? That stuffs the worst an drug my fun levels down a few points. Naturally I used my NG++ file an had fully powered up weapons, loads of healing, an of course the infinite rocket launcher! Despite being well equipped the same was still super tense an when I wasn't dying to QTEs I was dying from my own rockets >_>;

Dead or Alive 5: Last Round
Time: 00:08:10
Not the baffling story mode this time! Just a quick & cheap arcade mode run which is always fun! Really love this series stages. Best in fighting games? Prolly!

Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker 2
Time: 29:36:10
I got the urge to catch an train monsters an so I decided to revisit this! Took more time to beat than in my original playthrough cause I really got into the whole synthesizing stronger monsters aspect. As a whole DQMJ2 is just really great ya know? Soundtracks fantastic. Immersion levels are high. Monsters being onscreen encounters insread of invisible random ones added to both the gameplay and immersion. And its just plain fun leveling, synthing, and releveling and resynthing... seeing numbers going up basically!

Kirby Super Star
Time: 01:41:21
This time instead of calling it quits after Spring Breeze's credits I went through everything up through Revenge of Metaknight. Did not get to Milky Way Wishes cause the unlock conditions was something I didn't wanna do. As a whole this is one of the weaker Kirby games I've played but I still have some fun with it.
Old 09-02-2019, 10:02 AM   #560
Heather
Naga's Voice

Got/Beat: GRIS (Devolver Digital)

A short, but very engaging and absolutely visually stunning game. It's short enough to play the whole story in a morning, but it's engaging nonetheless. I find it very reminiscent of Celeste, though GRIS isn't fraught with death. It's a nice experience for a very low price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTheFishGuy View Post
Quoth the Honchkrow (nevermore!).
Fizzy Member Post: Catherine Park
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 02:42 PM   #561
Blastoise
We deny our creators.

Not Playing Because It Doesn't Come Out On PC For Three Months For Some Goddamn Reason: Monster Hunter World: Iceborne

Because even Capcom at its best is still Capcom.

Sad Robot Existentialism: Nier: Automata (40 hours)
  • This one took me a while to get into, mostly because combat involving black-clothed protagonists fighting brown robots in brown environments (sometimes using fixed camera angles zoomed out into low orbit) is really hard for me to track visually due to being Get Off My Lawn years old. The fact that the first two story paths cover mostly the same ground without meaningfully diverging until the very end didn't help matters.

• This is a surprise dark horse game that's been out for two years, everyone who cares has already discussed the plot and themes in detail and I don't have any unique insight to contribute. So, have this instead:

BORKED

Beat: The Surge (40 hours with both DLC)

Because I've had this from PS+ forever and was looking to kill time while waiting for BL3. It's surprisingly good!
  • Game where even the chump trash mobs can two-shot you if you don't show them respect? Large levels that emphasize exploration in order to discover numerous shortcuts that allow you to travel through the level and back to your safe zone quickly? Enemies that attack you around blind corners? Friendly NPCs are either mostly unhhelpful and/or even bigger sadsacks than you are? Spilling all your spaghetti out of your pockets and having to go collect it if you die? Yep, it's Dark Souls.

• The Surge also takes the oblique storytelling angle from the Soulsborne games, but it's more comprehensible if only because "tech company moving fast and breaking things, but with the Earth" is more relatable than "fallen gods trying to prolong the life of a dying world" or "city gone mad from shooting up Cthulhu's blood to get high."

• As you travel through the levels you can stop to watch internal PR videos where a tech bro in a zany t-shirt spouts buzzwords and talks about how they're building a "new Eden", which in our modern narrative parlance is thinly-veiled foreshadowing for the reveal that the company's C-suite skeet shoots puppies and thinks Weyland-Yutani is run by hippies.

• The game makes some smart additions to the Soulsborne risk/reward formula. You get multipliers for the amount of scrap (your not-souls currency) the longer you explore without returning to an Ops Center (your bonfire/Hunter's Dream equivalent) and you can target specific parts on most enemies you fight: you do more damage to unarmored areas, but attacking (and then severing) armored areas is your main method of farming new equipment and materials, so you have to find a balance between loot and surviving long enough to find the next shortcut.

• But there's only one song that plays while you're in the Ops Center, and it's fucking this.

• The combat is pretty good, but the bosses are iffy at best. There are some imaginative ideas there (one of the bosses is an automated construction platform that has gone haywire, and involves multiple phases of fighting through its various robot arms to attack its core), but none of them are particularly difficult or memorable beyond dying once or twice to determine what your (sometimes unclear) win condition is. You get special weapons if you beat each boss a certain way, but chances are the only way you'd know this is because you're reading this or you saw it on the wiki.

• The DLC is completely tonally batshit compared to the rest of the game: one DLC involves exploring the theme park inexplicably attached to the corporate complex you're in and fighting rogue mascots that have donuts for heads. The other DLC has you playing the role of a cowboy for an obsessive fan of a cheesy western who has taken over the skunkworks section of the facility in order to create more episodes after the show was cancelled. I am oddly okay with this shift, even if the rest of the game loses some of its impact when you beat a security robot to pieces with a coffin strapped to your arm.
Old 09-15-2019, 12:52 PM   #562
Blastoise
We deny our creators.

I Have Brain Problems: Borderlands 3 (uh, too many hours for three days)

Unlocked Thursday afternoon after I got home from work, so I've been on the sauce. Haven't hit cap yet, but beat the main campaign:
  • It's more Borderlands, which is both a reviewer cop-out and more or less the truth. That said, I'm enjoying it and the evolutionary changes they made feel pretty good: my only real complaint so far is that Maliwan guns (my favorite manufacturer from the first two games) feel kinda jank in 3.

• The writing is as Borderlands as it has ever been, and if you have played the games you know what that means to you: I have always been neutral/leaning towards like on this front, so that doesn't bother me. That said, at least one of the writers thought the phrase "turd farmer" was the pinnacle of hilarity, and they drive it right into the fucking ground.

• Actually there's a lot of poop jokes in general, culminating in a quest reward that is a rocket launcher that shoots turds. Anyone who reads the E3 threads knows that I am not above lowbrow humor, but I'm pretty sure there are coprophiliacs who are less obsessed with poop.

• Somebody was clearly cribbing notes from Diablo 3. Badass ranks from 2 now work like the Paragon ranks from Diablo (i.e. earn EXP to rank up), and there's Torment levels with the serial numbers filed off that work in a similar way.
Old 09-26-2019, 11:07 AM   #563
phoopes
Double Dragon

So I'm finally at the point where I'm going to pick up a Switch plus a few games. Over the past few years, my gaming purchases have pretty much exclusively been a game here or there for the 3DS so I never broke the bank too much. Now, I completely skipped out on the last generation of consoles so I never picked up a Wii U, PS4, or XBone, and... I have to say that I'm kind of getting sticker shock with everything that I want to pick up x_x

MUST HAVES:
Switch..... $300
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate...... $60 + $25 DLC
Fire Emblem: Three Houses...... $60 + $25 DLC
Breath of the Wild..... $60
Super Mario Odyssey....... $60
Dragon Quest XI....... $60
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe....... $60
Pokemon Sword........ $60
Octopath Traveler....... $60
Mario Maker 2...... $60
Nintendo Switch Online account...... $20

Total..... $910

BIG WANTS:
Link's Awakening remake..... $60
Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee....... $60
NBA 2K20......... $60
Luigi's Mansion 3....... $60
Hyrule/Fire Emblem Warriors....... $60 (one or the other)
Collection of Mana...... $40
Celeste........... $20
Gamecube adapter..... $70 (are you fucking kidding)
2 Gamecube controllers..... $50 (prices vary but yeah)
Breath of the Wild DLC...... $20

Total...... $500

OTHER WANTS:
Hyrule/FE Warriors......... $60 (the other one)
Splatoon 2.......... $60
Mario Tennis Aces......... $60
Super Mario Party.......... $60
Pokken Tournament....... $60
New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe....... $60
Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze.......... $60
Civilization VI.......... $60
Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate........ $50
TWEWY Final Mix.......... $50
Cadence of Hyrule.........$25
Ori and the Blind Forest........$25
Untitled Goose Game.........$20 (lol)

Total.......$650

and this is only the games that I really got a noticeably strong urge for that are out right now/coming soon. Doesn't even include games I will absolutely want (Xenoblade, Animal Crossing) that aren't coming out for awhile yet or other games that I've heard good things about to pique my interest but not quite on this level yet (Ni No Kuni, Yooka-Laylee, Resident Evil, etc.).

Basically, fuck. I don't have a ton of money to spend but I want a lot of things. I think my initial purchase might just be Switch, Smash, and Fire Emblem but I'm weak so we'll see. Props to Nintendo for putting out a solid lineup of games but man they're expensive ;_;
Old 09-29-2019, 11:38 AM   #564
Emi
Barghest Barghest Barghe-

Send a message via Skype™ to Emi
Beat: Kirby's Adventure (Switch, NES)

There's not much to really say here except this game is the first memory I have (asking my mother to defeat Nightmare for me because I was like 4). I ended up playing Nightmare in Dreamland later on in life, which is a remake of this game (and is just strictly better imo, this game is too unresponsive at times) but I had a lot of fun. It's nostalgic.

Took me 20 years to beat this game. Longest run ever.
Old 09-29-2019, 01:01 PM   #565
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I asked my mother to help me with Yobi's Magic Spelling Tricks because I couldn't get a special trinket. I'd always get eaten by the tiger. She managed to do it and from that day onward I knew she had a hidden potential for technology if she put her mind to it.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 09-30-2019, 04:14 PM   #566
Lindz
Kuno's Wife

- Get!
Tokyo Xanadu eX+
Been hearing this ones pretty alright an from the first 4 or so hours I've played over the weekend, ya that seems about right. Tons of familar elements here from many other rpgs with nothing new of its own ta stand out with as of yet but its fun enough.

- Beat!
Kirby: Triple Deluxe
Time: 5:35:00
Felt like playing better Kirby games than Super Star so I went about replaying the 3DS duo starting with this one! An hey its still very fun with gimmicks that don't suck an aren't overused. The usage of foreground/background is still top notch!

Kirby: Planet Robobot
Time: 4:41:00
An then of course comes this one which takes most of the ideas the last one used an throws in a mech for Kirby to occasionally make use of with its own gimmicks! Once again its really good an fun! It has more levels than TD yet took less time ta beat... somehow?
Old 12-01-2019, 02:59 PM   #567
Lindz
Kuno's Wife

- Get!
Shenmue III
It sucks!!

- Beat!
Tokyo Xanadu eX+
Time: 26:28:44
I'd describe this as "generic modern jrpg". Also as a romhack of Trails of Cold Steel. Its a game ya pick up an play an its fine. No real high or low points. Characters, setting, music, gameplay are all whatever. Falcoms A-team certainly weren't on this one. May sound like I'm almost talking about Blue Reflection again but this isn't a shell of a game, its got a full set of locations ya actually visit and on easy the battlings at least dumb fun. But just like that game, ya got another secret highschool superhero life, duckin' into some alternate dimension to help peoples personal problems more or less. That coupled with the assets & systems reused from the ToCS games just makes it feel llike a game I'd already played before.

Shenmue
Time: 16:08:56
The kung fu revenge story starts here an in terms of kung fu action I spent more time training moves then actually using 'em! I encountered just 11 proper non-qte fights this whole game, an at least one of 'em was optional! Which ya know imo is good cause the combat sucks anyhow. You're fighting 3 things at any given time: the camera, the controls, and the baddies! For half the game you're kneecapped by your starting money an pitiful daily allowance so goofin around buying stuff or hanging at the arcades on limited time. The other half when you're raking in money from the job your time ta use its limited! Bah! So why take your time? Just blow through it I say! Its short an fun an after having not played it for maaaaaany years I still had a good time!

Shenmue II
Time: 23:06:04
This improves on the first game in many ways, just like a good sequel should! After savescamming gambling near the start of the game, money and times no object so you can goof around doing whatever at your leisure waaay more than in the original. Hong Kong & Kowloon are much more fully realized towns than Yamanose. Theres tons of building you can enter which serve no real purpose or reason other than to say "hey: fake doors/buildings in games is dumb" or something like that. I find because of this its much more immersive than the first game. Combat still sucks an in some cases the cameras even worse ~_~; but again with only 18 mandatory fights and 11 optional (cause I messed up qte's) it can again be brushed off as yeah its bad but w/e. Really fun game!
Old 12-25-2019, 07:28 PM   #568
Lindz
Kuno's Wife

- Get!
Sega Genesis Mini
Darn this things cute!! But darn Segac for tossing in the terrible 3 button controller in with the non-JP releases for this! Gotta get one of them 6 button ones before I can really love on this thing!
Old 01-02-2020, 02:20 AM   #569
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

Mega Dunsparce

Picked Up:

Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age - Remake of my favorite Final Fantasy game. Albeit I don't like many, I do love this one. Also, believe it or not, it inspired a large portion of The UPN Game 2: The Regamening with hunts and certain wacky boss spawn mechanics and crazy weird drops. Picked it up at half price on STEAM.

Doom (2016) - I find it hard to believe this game is 3 years old, but that's probably why it was cheap enough for me to buy.

Graveyard Keeper - The messed up version of Stardew Valley set in a medieval setting with some black humor. It's definitely more complicated that SDV and the tone is really wacky at times but also pretty fucked up, but it's great.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 10:28 PM   #570
chelovek
Pokemon Trainer

i want to see RDO
chelovek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 01:20 AM   #571
phoopes
Double Dragon

Get/Beat: Dragon Quest XI S: Echoes of an Elusive Age - Definitive Edition (143:17)

Holy shit. I am playing this as a completionist and... wow. Some stuff is admittedly a little tedious (casino accolades) but overall this game is fantastic. I just finished up the main story and I’m ready to dive into the postgame. I may post more thoughts later but for now all I’ll say is if you’re a fan of JRPGs you are doing yourself a disservice by not playing this game. I think it’s my favorite game of all time. That’s how good it is.
Old 02-13-2020, 08:47 PM   #572
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki View Post
Doom (2016) - I find it hard to believe this game is 3 years old, but that's probably why it was cheap enough for me to buy.
Do games not fall to $10 after a year anymore? I remember I got Diablo for $10 back in 1999 after it fell from...$30-$50 at launch in 1996. But I still haven't been able to afford old-arse Skyrim. I had assumed this was a unique Bethesda issue, though - I'd wager id Software would be a different animal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoopes View Post
Get/Beat: Dragon Quest XI S: Echoes of an Elusive Age - Definitive Edition (143:17)

Holy shit. I am playing this as a completionist and... wow. Some stuff is admittedly a little tedious (casino accolades) but overall this game is fantastic. I just finished up the main story and I’m ready to dive into the postgame. I may post more thoughts later but for now all I’ll say is if you’re a fan of JRPGs you are doing yourself a disservice by not playing this game. I think it’s my favorite game of all time. That’s how good it is.
UPN the Game II is better.

Why watch drunken phoopes play an RPG, when you can play as drunken phoopes in an RPG?
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 02-14-2020, 03:33 PM   #573
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

Bethesda has a hard on for rereleasing Skyrim about 9 different times. This keeps it's price inflated a bit around $30 off-sale. And price drops depend on the game. Call of Duty being a yearly title drops in price pretty quickly, about 6 or so months in. Titles that are slower to come out could take a year or two before they drop, typically only halving in price at a time. Some games retain their price if they keep up a popular online aspect (i.e. GTAV).

Also, Diablo was released 97, so that's a 23 year difference in the times Doppel. I know I act like a grandpa sometimes, but cool yourself off boomer.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 12:06 PM   #574
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

Send a message via Skype™ to Concept
My PC died in like November, so I picked up a second hand Ps4 and have been playing through the stuff I missed by being on PC for so long. So far beat:

God of War
Hollow Knight
Persona 5

All incredible. Only one I can't see myself replaying is Hollow Knight, because it was also frustrating (due to my own lack of skill at that kinda game). Persona 5 Royal comes out in my part of the world at the end of March and yeah, I'm almost certainly gonna sink another 100+ hours into the remake.

Recommendations for other things I should pick up? Sekiro or Bloodborne are my main temptations right now. Monster Hunter World has also been strongly recommended to me, as has Outer Wilds.
Concept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 06:15 AM   #575
Lunar Delta
Cascade Badge

Send a message via AIM to Lunar Delta
Been on a Metroidvania binge lately. Beat Hollow Knight a shit ton of times, easily my favorite ever. Bloodstained was awesome. Also went back and played SotN, Aria of Sorrow and Super Metroid. All awesome. Going to buy Ori 2 and Silksong when it comes out. Can't wait. Been trying to play Dawn of Sorrow but it runs like shit on Desmume. Going to try MelonDS and see how that works out.

Last edited by Lunar Delta; 05-09-2020 at 10:14 PM.
Lunar Delta is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Video Games