UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON

Old 11-14-2014, 09:57 AM   #3551
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Xerneas's one pitfall. (Random Battle, 20 turns)

Spoiler: show
Recently, I've been in more games than usual where either I win by 4+ or I lose by 4+. Like, if normal is (say) 5%, recently it's been like 10% to 15%. Not sure what is causing it. Probably just randomness doing its random thing. But yeah. Been in quite a few games where either the winning party had the perfect antidote to the losing party's team or else the losing party had an exploitable type weakness on 3+ of their creatures and no defensive Pokémon to facilitate safe switches. (I was in a game like that just today where I had four Pokémon weak to Ice, nobody resistant to it, one of the weak guys was 4x weak to it, and my opponent had a Regice. Great.)

So anyway, this game. A 5-0 win that pretty well illustrates what I am saying. Normally this guy had Pokémon who range from decent in Random Battle (Stantler, Giratina-O) all the way up to broken (Xerneas). But because of the flow of the match and our respective teams, I was able to keep control of the match on my side of the court almost the entire time, and as he would lose his answers to various of my creatures his loss became more and more assured.

But there was one point in the match where he threatened to up-end everything. Xerneas. He sends out that monster and I'm like, "Gee. Great. " Or I would have been but for the fact that I already had Aurorus out and a trick up my sleeve I hadn't revealed to him yet:

Encore.

A turn-1 Geomancy is par for the course with Xerneas. (This is what the title references: the fact that Xerneas is super predictable for the Turn-1 Geomancy.) You know you outspeed the specially-aligned Aurorus and you go for the +2 to SpDef (along with the other buffs) instantly. Why not? But then I encore him and he's locked in for three turns. (Two if you scratch off the turn where I have to switch.) So what do I do? I switch out to Sudowoodo. The hope is to either land two Stone Edges and a Sucker Punch or else two Stone Edges, one of which crits. Well, I don't get my crit but I don't have to worry about Sucker Punch either: Sudowoodo lands both Stone Edges (odds: 64%) and Xerneas is down. Had I missed, I won't lie: it would have been pretty awful and he would have almost definitely won. But that's what Xerneas does: he's a broken fucker who turns certain victories into certain defeats for your enemies and vice versa for yourself. So really, to even be assured of a 64% chance of victory against him is great.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 05:32 AM   #3552
Emi
Barghest Barghest Barghe-

Send a message via Skype™ to Emi
Smogon considering a Quick Ban against Mega Salamence

They haven't decided whether to quick-ban it or not, but I think the general idea coming off is that for those who have been playing on the ORAS OU ladder, Mega Salamence is immensely powerful, really hard to revenge kill, and extremely difficult to work around. I can't say I disagree with them either; I don't have much experience with the new meta but I can see how people would have a serious issue with this Pokemon.

If I may say one thing: This is not Mega Pinsir. Saying the meta is balanced around Mega Pinsir is not the same. There are obvious differences for Mega Salamance: Good secondary STAB, massive physical bulk with Intimidate, the ability to go mixed with Fire Blast / Draco Meteor and Double-Edge without losing coverage.
Old 11-22-2014, 07:28 AM   #3553
Heather
Naga's Voice

I saw this coming. MegaMence has one good way around it, and that's having MegaSwampy be able to tank something before slugging it with Ice Punch. But once it has one DD set up, Aerilate Return smashes ANYTHING that doesn't resust flying or that isn't named Blissey. Unless you're running an egregious physically defensive set on something that really shouldn't run it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTheFishGuy View Post
Quoth the Honchkrow (nevermore!).
Fizzy Member Post: Catherine Park
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 07:45 AM   #3554
Emi

Well to be fair, Mega Salamence can switch in on Mega Swampert. I mean that's part of the issue: Mega Salamence's bulk is absolutely massive. He can take a LO Ice Shard from Mamoswine ffs. This is without intimidate as well. A physical pokemon is often set-up bait for Salamence sadly.
Old 11-22-2014, 11:19 AM   #3555
Heather
Naga's Voice

That can happen too, yes. I didn't say it was an absolutely solid counter, its the closest thing that exists to one that I know of. Plus most of the things that can afford to run defensive sets that can wall MegaMence hard often can't hit back vene if you were to combine defense investment with offensive. A troll Scyther set a friend of mine thought up can tank admirably from calcs that he did with mega stats and ability and all that, but its Scyther, what's that going to do to actually kill Mence? Nada. This is one quickban I'm in line with, a Dragon Typed Mega Pinsir with insane speed, bulk, and attack is too good.

Quote:
Old 11-22-2014, 03:52 PM   #3556
Heather
Naga's Voice

Psrry for the double post but I urgently need someone to teach me how to competitively use Chatot in some way

I just caught a shiny one and I'm ecstatic right now

Quote:
Old 11-22-2014, 03:54 PM   #3557
Emi

How to Use Chatot:

Step 1: Chatter
Step 2: Sub on the confusion till it sticks
Step 3: Nasty Plot
Step 4: Boomburst the motherfucking everything

*Disclaimer Step: Try not to die at any of these steps. Chatot dies very quickly.
Old 11-22-2014, 03:59 PM   #3558
Heather
Naga's Voice

And then the vital portion of that was only possible by egg move, and the Trainer lamented, for it would not be possible.

No really, Work up is only TM-able on it in Gen 5 and gahhhhh

Quote:
Old 11-22-2014, 04:01 PM   #3559
Emi

Well I mean you can use a Sub + 3 attacks set. But its kinda difficult to ignore that Chatot is not great in anyway.
Old 11-22-2014, 04:02 PM   #3560
Heather
Naga's Voice

Its just that a Gen 6 Wild Chatot has no way to raise its Special Attack without breeding.

Actually, let's make this thing my Se JUN Mascot and talk Doubles.

This Chatot was blessed with Tangled Feet. This means that the use of Flatter gives it a Special attack doubler and a temporary evasion hike that should help prolong its longevity. And Flatter is readily available on the Goth line, which is found on the Kalos Dex and thus hopefully VGC 2015 viable. If not, Sableye can get the move through careful breeding.

Quote:

Last edited by Heather; 11-22-2014 at 05:27 PM.
Old 11-22-2014, 08:42 PM   #3561
Shuckle
Problematic Fave

Flatter raises special attack by 1 stage, not 2.
Old 11-22-2014, 10:56 PM   #3562
Heather
Naga's Voice

It works still! Even if its half as good!

Quote:
Old 11-22-2014, 11:02 PM   #3563
Kyro12
Fallen from the Stars

Send a message via Skype™ to Kyro12
...what about its IVs? Nature?

Credit to Daisy for this glorious Battle Cut :3
Kyro12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 11:06 PM   #3564
Heather
Naga's Voice

Rash Nature, IVs unknown as of yet, though its wild caught so not strings of 31s to be sure.

Quote:
Old 11-22-2014, 11:18 PM   #3565
Kyro12
Fallen from the Stars

Send a message via Skype™ to Kyro12
Oh good your Nature actually boosts a stat you want! Of course it makes you even more frail, but now you're just a slightly more damp piece of paper. Having bad IVs sucks, but hey, Shinies are rad. Go forth and beat people up with a loud bird!

Credit to Daisy for this glorious Battle Cut :3
Kyro12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 11:20 PM   #3566
Heather
Naga's Voice

*goes to make Chatter extremely loud while still making s Godspell reference&

Quote:
Old 11-23-2014, 11:07 PM   #3567
Heather
Naga's Voice

So I used my phone's handy dandy IV calculator to calc Shiny Chatot's IVs. The results...ugh.
It's special Attack is anywhere from 9-12. It's Attack, defense, and speed are likewise crappy range. Then Special defense is near perfect being in the upper 20s, which sucks because RASH NATURE and the HP stat which I didn't EV train is also in the 20s. Urgh. I mean Okay at least it's not like that time I hatched a 0 HP Mawile with NO PRECEDENT FOR IT WHATSOEVER but still.

Quote:
Old 11-24-2014, 10:25 AM   #3568
Shuckle
Problematic Fave

I got a Chatot in XY and trained it up to level 100 and went around slaying things going "WHO'S THE WEAK ONE NOW?" You can have fun without beating people in competitive battling.

I'm pretty sure Chatot is supposed to be some sort of wallbreaker anyway. Chatter to confuse and then Boomburst them down.
Old 11-24-2014, 03:41 PM   #3569
Heather
Naga's Voice

Best I can do is Hyper Voice because wild caught shiny

Quote:
Old 11-24-2014, 04:48 PM   #3570
Shuckle
Problematic Fave

oh, I thought I got it from levelling up. Whoops. My memory must be faulty about boombursting chatots then.

Chatot is not a great pokemon. I like it. I wish it was better. It would need stat changes to be viable.
Old 11-24-2014, 06:43 PM   #3571
Heather
Naga's Voice

It's base special attack and speed are in respectable percentiles for a single stage.

Quote:
Old 11-26-2014, 02:04 PM   #3572
Talon87
時の彼方へ

So, as Fate would have it, the ladder server of Pokémon Showdown's suffered problems shortly before ORAS's release and consequently all of the scores were wiped. It's still pretty shaky right now (it often throws up a corruption error message) but it's nominally back in service, making now the prime opportunity to get a clean slate and try to ladder in an environment relatively free of a bajillion alts clogging up the ranking ladders.

I was last logged into Juisho, my original account, and so that's where I've decided to start off with my reladdering attempts. It's been pretty rough going to be honest: the first few days have seen everyone of all skill levels mixed together, meaning:
  1. you can't deduce plays based on where you currently are in the ladder
  2. even though your scores are all really low it doesn't keep you from being paired up with players of or beyond your skill level
Consequently, I've suffered the worst opening record in my entire history with PS: 18 wins to 13 losses, with an earlier score at one point of 5 wins to 9 losses.

Sharing replays seems to be impossible right now. I hadn't tried until the past few minutes, but right now there was a match I wanted to show you guys -- because it contained my first-ever encounter with Hoopa! -- and so I've been trying to generate a replay but ... it doesn't look like it wants to cooperate. :\ Anyway, the Hoopa was in its Unbound form and ... (spoiler boxing in case you want to be surprised)

Spoiler: show
... had Magician for its ability, was holding Life Orb, and its moves were Shadow Ball, Thunderbolt, Focus Blast, and Psychic.

I'm not sure if they're ORAS changes or PS glitches or what, but there are a few changes players have noticed. One that stands out to me was a match where I froze an enemy Magcargo who had one of the two hot body abilities. Furthermore, he was ordered to use one of the melts-ice-when-frozen Fire attacks but it didn't thaw him out.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 02:54 PM   #3573
Heather
Naga's Voice

I thoght all fire attacks were an instant thaw, but apparently Flamethrower of all things doesnt do that. ANyway, I'm upset at this because I wanted to try the team I would use to use Chatot in the VGC format but I'm always on when the corruption error happens (i came to this thread to inquire about it and then saw Talon's post LOL). To give you a general idea of what the team looks like...

Chatot (with only level up/tm moves)
Lightningrod Manectric (not mega, draw electricity off Chatot)
Sylveon with Baton Pass/Calm Mind (you know why)
Greninja, Expert belt, just less U-Turn and more extrasensory
Burn shifter Sigilyph
And standard Mega Mawile.

This is what I've put together and for the most part I like it because basically all of my team besides mega mawile can take Sylveon's baton pass gifts in case things are dicey for Chatot. Also do substitutes Baton Pass?

Quote:
Old 11-26-2014, 02:55 PM   #3574
phoopes
Double Dragon

Yes, Baton Pass passes Subs.
Old 11-26-2014, 02:55 PM   #3575
Emi

Subs can be Baton Passed, but that's kinda useless in VGC.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON