UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Entertainment

Old 05-06-2013, 12:21 AM   #526
swampert28
#009: Blastoise

I really did enjoy Iron man 3. Like Deoxys, I do hope that they discontinue the milking, because it's getting a bit much (this could be part of my jealousy to Tony Stark though...).

On the other hand, the movie has made me want to do something that I have always wanted to do. Make an Iron man MKIII or MKIV suit.
Old 05-06-2013, 08:09 AM   #527
Mercutio
Banned

I've not yet seen it. Bearing in mind that I could not care less about spoilers, will this film make me care more about Tony Stark as a character? Because I really don't care about Tony Stark as a character.
Mercutio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 04:11 PM   #528
Amras.MG
Not sure if gone...

Saw Hot Fuzz last night. Brits are weird.
Amras.MG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 04:13 PM   #529
Mercutio
Banned

Hot Fuzz is fucking A, possibly my favourite film.
Old 05-06-2013, 04:16 PM   #530
DaveTheFishGuy
Primordial Fishbeast

Send a message via Skype™ to DaveTheFishGuy
Relicanth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercutio View Post
I've not yet seen it. Bearing in mind that I could not care less about spoilers, will this film make me care more about Tony Stark as a character? Because I really don't care about Tony Stark as a character.
If you don't care about spoilers: Stark spends significantly less time suited up in this film. I found that made him a much more sympathetic character.

Also make sure you stay until the end of the credits for awesome.

Also regarding the future of the franchise:

Spoiler: show
The next few Marvel films are related to Thor, Captain America, Guardians of the Galaxy, Avengers and Ant-Man, so it doesn't look like we'll be getting another Iron Man one. At least, not for about four years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amras.MG View Post
Saw Hot Fuzz last night. Brits are weird.
Given that one of my friends saw Hot Fuzz in Australia and said that the Aussies were only laughing half the times he was, I'm not surprised that an American finds it more weird than funny, since Aussies are a little more in touch with British humour than Yanks.

It's a great film though. Like Shaun of the Dead, there's so many things you pick up on even on the fifth viewing that you didn't before.
DaveTheFishGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 04:43 PM   #531
Mercutio
Banned

I was told the credits are like 10 minutes and then there's no extra clip?
Old 05-06-2013, 04:49 PM   #532
DaveTheFishGuy
Primordial Fishbeast

It is right at the end of the credits, but there is one.

It's a Marvel film. There's always one.
Old 05-07-2013, 06:42 AM   #533
Mercutio
Banned

Is the credits scene worth me waiting for when I can just look for it on youtube?
Old 05-07-2013, 06:53 AM   #534
DaveTheFishGuy
Primordial Fishbeast

Well I thought so.

Plus it doesn't appear to be on youtube just yet.
Old 05-07-2013, 07:29 AM   #535
Mercutio
Banned

Hmm. Perhaps. To be honest it's essay season so I'm pinned to a computer for the forseeable future. That and the insane number of books and journals I've got in front of me and at home.
Old 05-08-2013, 05:49 PM   #536
deoxys
Fog Badge

Hot Fuzz was hilarious.

Anyway, Mercutio - the after credits scene was... not what I was expecting, I guess... but certainly worth the wait.
deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 07:40 PM   #537
Mercutio
Banned

Cool, will give it a look, ta.

I just watched Burt Wonderstone. It was fantastic, only gripe being that it was a little too long. But even though certain elements of it were incredibly predictable it was brilliant the whole way through.
Old 05-08-2013, 09:03 PM   #538
DaveTheFishGuy
Primordial Fishbeast

Just been to see Olympus has Fallen.

Putting the ludicrous plot aside, not that bad a movie, pretty much exactly what I was expecting - Gerard Butler kicking ass. But my god he needs to stop trying to do accents. It's Sean Connery Syndrome -everything ends up sounding Scottish.

This was immediately followed by Star Trek Into Darkness, since we were leaving and saw a midnight screening about to start and thought 'what the hell?'. More details about that later, but it was gooooooooooooood.
Old 05-08-2013, 11:11 PM   #539
Fallen Icarus
Confident in the present

Send a message via AIM to Fallen Icarus Send a message via Skype™ to Fallen Icarus
Watched the Star wars where they get dem clone armies n'stuff

Honestly, I can't give a decent review cause I was rubbing my eyes half the time, and I'm tired. Still it was a good movie, just not making my top 10.
Old 05-08-2013, 11:12 PM   #540
Amras.MG
Not sure if gone...

Attack of the Clones is the worst Star Wars movie.

/truth
Old 05-08-2013, 11:23 PM   #541
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I remember when I came fresh out of the theaters for that one and I told a boy who asked me how I thought they ranked, "Episode 2 is my second favorite of the five, only behind Episode 5." Not really sure what the hell I was thinking. ^^; But I felt much the same way about Episode 3 shortly after seeing it. "This one was genuinely great! Lucas finally gives us something on par with the original trilogy!" It took some time away from it before I realized that, yeah no, even Episode 3 is a bit of a turd compared with Episode 4. (That stated, and I haven't seen either film in quite a while so please do bear with me, but ... I think that I might rank Episode 3 about on par with Episode 6. Really not a big fan of Jabba's palace, and as an older fan the magic of the entire subplot on Endor's moon is no longer for me what it once was when I was a child. ^^; )
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 11:26 PM   #542
Amras.MG
Not sure if gone...

For me it goes 5 > 4 > 6 = 3 > 1 > 2. My ranking of 3 is surprisingly on par with 6 mainly because of the Order 66 scene and because the dual fights are so well choreographed. 6 used to be my favorite, but now Endor takes away from it too much.
Old 05-09-2013, 12:31 AM   #543
Talon87
時の彼方へ

For me today, it's 5 > 4 > 6 = 3 > 2 > 1. So pretty much your list except I feel that 2 was better than 1. (And I felt that way when I saw them, too.)

For me in high school (listing original trilogy only), it was 5 > 4 = 6, with that transition from "4 is the worst" towards "6 is the worst" taking place. But 5 was already the clear winner.

For me as a child first discovering Star Wars, it was definitely 6 > 5 > 4. Everything builds up to Episode 6, so of course as a kid I loved the culmination film the best. I also loved it for being the film with the green lightsaber. And of course I loved the entire subplot on Endor. The speeder bikes, the Ewoks, all of it.
Old 05-09-2013, 12:42 AM   #544
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
My experience was similar to Talon. I liked Return of the Jedi and its happy end the most as a child. When I was a bit older (and a Tie Fighter fan) I found I liked A New Hope best, since it had the best space fight of the whole trilogy. But as an adult, Empire is way better than everything else, and it's been that way for a while.

You wanna know what the prequels remind me of? SAO. If I were to describe that convoluted romance with a complex background, SAO and especially the latter two movies in that set all feel similar.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 01:22 AM   #545
McSweeney
Soul Badge

I hated Phantom Menace and never want to watch it again. Attack of the Clones was underwhelming but an improvement, and I really liked Revenge of the Sith. I haven't watched it since it came out though, so I don't know if it still holds up.

I see a lot of people trashing Return of the Jedi these days, but I think it's great! The throne room drama in particular was incredible. I get huge nerd chills every time Vader goes to pick up Palpatine! I have a built in bias for Empire Strikes Back, because I had a taped VHS of it as a kid, and I literally watched it about a hundred times. Some years later I saw Return of the Jedi, and I never saw the original Star Wars until I was like, 12. I have a similar story about Super Mario Bros. When I first got a NES, I had Gyromite and Duck Hunt, and Mario was this mythical game that I heard so much about, but never managed to play until way later!

Smoking Gary sez:
"Stay in school kidz"
McSweeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 01:46 AM   #546
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

What burns me about Return now isn't the happy end or anything, it's how the focus of the movie is another Death Star but it's only been 3 years since the last Death Star was built. A derivative concept. So the Empire created a Death Star that's x10 the size of the first, more powerful with none of its flaws, and did it in 3 years after the original took two decades?

Also the Ewoks and Endor adventure. The bit with Yoda was great. The return to Tatooine was good too, as was the sequence with Palpatine, Vader and Luke.

The Alliance should also have been crushed by that Imperial Fleet. On paper, it's a mass slaughter even without the Death Star. Later materials hand-waved the rebels wiping out imperials by saying Palpatine was mind-controlling them and when he died, they couldn't think for themselves, so they all sat around and died.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 05-09-2013, 02:04 AM   #547
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I'm not familiar with Mark II's scale being ten times that of Mark I's, and as a kid I didn't think anything of the three years logistical problems, but the one thing you said which has ALWAYS bothered me about Episode VI is the "been there, done that *yaaaaaawn*" feel of a second Death Star.
Old 05-09-2013, 03:18 AM   #548
Mercutio
Banned

See I didn't dislike any of the prequel trilogy, though I is objectively abad film. But the original trilogy is just not that good when you actually think about it so this whole "the prequels are terrible" thing is just not fly with me.
Old 05-09-2013, 03:39 AM   #549
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercutio View Post
See I didn't dislike any of the prequel trilogy, though I is objectively abad film. But the original trilogy is just not that good when you actually think about it so this whole "the prequels are terrible" thing is just not fly with me.
A lot of people are influenced by the RLM reviews, so it's tough to separate original opinion from that critique, but I can tell you that when I watched the original trilogy, I understood it as a child (in the order I mentioned), but I had a very difficult time grasping the plots of the first two movies as a middle schooler. This being almost 6-7 years after my SW phase first blossomed, so I consider having had an advantage of expanded universe material going into those films.

Revenge I understood better, but it was a simpler film overall by virtue of where it was in the plot - way less political with a lot of visible violence. So, my conclusion is the first two films are bad. They fail as coherent narratives and even if one isn't a fan of the original trilogy, it's not hipster or ironic to call them awful.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 05-09-2013, 05:10 AM   #550
Mercutio
Banned

I agree. There are obvious pros to all of the original trilogy, but I view it in the same way as the expanded universe. Some of the expanded universe is absolutely amazing, with brilliant writing, brilliant characters and far more depth than George Lucas is even capable of conceiving. And then some of it is worse than Twilight.

It's much the same as this new Clone Wars animated series. I quite enjoy watching clips or episodes, since some of it is quite well done, but they've jumped the shark quite spectacularly.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Entertainment