UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON

Old 11-11-2015, 08:59 PM   #1
Talon87
時の彼方へ

CoroCoro December 2015

Since regular users can't make news forum threads, guess we'll have to do this the old-fashioned way!

PokéJungle has a scan of the December 2015 CoroCoro up. Not sure if it's real or what. If it is, it's incredibly underwhelming. But it also shares just enough new information to have gotten fans speculating about the identity behind the next game in the main series. (Spoilers follow. Safe if you've seen the purported December 2015 page in question and if you're through the first episode of the XY&Z anime season.)

Spoiler: show

The issue mostly rehashes what we already saw last time: Shiny Xerneas, Shiny Yveltal, and regular-colored Zygarde. Big whoop. It also publishes the promo codes that were secret until they were revealed a few weeks ago during weekly episode broadcasts of XY.

But what fans are noticing is a small picture off on the far left which shows a Zygarde Core with a blue belly. The thing is, the Zygarde Core that's traveling with Ash & Co. has a red belly. Furthermore, we know that there are exactly two Zygarde cores in the anime. (In fact, this was something that bothered me when I watched Episode 001. Wrote about it at some length. ) Furthermore, we know that Zygarde 100% Forme's wingtips/tassels have blue on one side and red on the other. So ...! Fans are speculating that:
  • the next game is going to be to XZ and YZ: a paired set, similar to Black 2 and White 2
  • in the XZ version, you'll get the Zygarde Core with one belly color; in the YZ version, you'll get the other
  • Neither XZ nor YZ will have 100% of the Zygarde Cells in them. Each game will have exactly 50%.
  • In order to obtain the Zygarde 100% Forme that has been shown off in CoroCoro, you'll have to complete both XZ and YZ.
    • Presumably, this will only be possible once per save file for either game -- requiring you to own a copy of both games if you want to obtain Zygarde 100% Forme.
We'll have to see. I have not purchased both versions of the game since Gen 2. And I haven't felt like I needed to purchase both since Gen 4, with the world the GTS opened up for us. I don't think missing out on Zygarde 100% Forme will be enough to make me get both an XZ and a YZ. But it might be enough to motivate anyone with a bad case of gottacatchemallitis. The sort of person who would've bought both X for Xerneas (or mega stones) and Y for Yveltal (or mega stones) is probably going to be torn somewhat over the inability to get Zygarde into his 100% forme.

This does all beg a question though: what if Game Freak is suddenly going The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages/Seasons on us and has decided to include a True Ending hidden within the game's code that can only be unlocked if you link your XZ and YZ save files together? What I mean is, Oracle of Ages had a default ending on it and so did Oracle of Seasons, but if you owned both games and beat one of them, you got a code that you could then input into the other game which would allow you to fight the true final boss (spoiler: who do you think ). Obviously times are different now and a passcode system like that would be helping Game Freak's sales zero. But maybe a save file linkage system that works with the 3DS's architecture could accomplish the same goal. Have the kid buy XZ, he gets the default ending. Have the kid buy YZ, he gets that game's default ending too. (The same default ending, even!) But have him link his two save files together and now he gains access to Kalos's equivalent of the Delta Episode from ORAS. Basically I'm asking, what if Game Freak is trying to cash in even more on the popularity of the Delta Episode? What if they saw how much people liked it and they said, "Well okay then: what if we gave you that but locked it behind a $40 paywall? What then? Would you pay it? Or would you go without the satisfaction of having unlocked the games' True End yourself?" If Game Freak is planning to do this ... it might be time to (re-)abandon ship. 'Cause this is a really scummy business practice that takes advantage of the franchise's loyalest fans, the ones who have stuck with Pokémon all this time even when both the series and the console it calls home have been bleeding gamers left and right for other franchises (like Yo-Kai Watch) or other platforms (like smartphones and tablets). Locking story content behind a pay wall, and especially one as steep as $39.99, is just not cool.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 11:40 PM   #2
rotomotorz
Think ye can take me?

Isn't this November's issue?
{======|_|""T""|_|""r""|_|""a""|_|""i""|_|""n""|
/o--000'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'
Squad Summary

rotomotorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 09:34 AM   #3
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotomotorz View Post
Isn't this November's issue?
I checked before posting. They're very similar looking but different. Points to either 1) this being a doctored photo or else 2) the December CoroCoro release giving us the breadcrumbs of breadcrumbs. I've gone with 2 for now but it might prove to be 1 in the coming days. We'll see.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 01:04 PM   #4
deoxys
Fog Badge

With the way the industry as a whole as going none of what you're speculating would surprise me at all. Would be disappointed to see them stoop to that, though. Hopefully they never go full microtransactions - I can see it now "Need a Master Ball to catch that elusive legendary? For only $4.99 each, you can get as many as you need with the new PokeMart™ - just enter any in-game PokeMart and convert real dollars to Pokemon Dollars!"

I definitely want more end-game material to actually keep me playing and interested, but not like this
deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON