UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > The Misc

Old 10-02-2014, 09:50 PM   #26
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

Isn't the idea that Introvert VS Extrovert being about sociability a myth, though? From what I understand, an introvert is someone who draws energy from quiet introverted time while and extrovert gets energy from socializing with others. Like, personally I'm now very capable at socializing with strangers, but everything calls me and introvert and I'd call myself an introvert because, if given the choice, I'd much rather just hole up by myself and disregard the rest of the world. Which is an extremely radical variant of the split, but the basic principle is still there- Introverts can socialize, and Extroverts can have quiet time, but the one you find yourself naturally 'healed' by is the one which indicates which side of the split you're on.

Online VS irl is an interesting and good example.
People should watch what they enjoy regardless of what others think, even if it's a terribad guilty pleasure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
Though, I also dislike the concept of lamenting the current day while wishing to re-experience the past. At least, my modern attitude is to try and make each new day magical even if it's not, since exclusively reminiscing about the past is too pathetic.
Kindrindra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 09:54 PM   #27
RealMrGame10
CAN'T BELIEVE KH3 IS HERE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuckle View Post
Also where are all my extroverts at ;_; pls I can't be the only one
Dude. I said I'm ENFP already. Up top. *high fives*

WHEN YOU WALK AWAY

D- Ref on PASBL
(PASBL squad!)
Let's go WILD
I will battle for cheap

lol who knows
RealMrGame10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 10:07 PM   #28
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindrindra View Post
An introvert is someone who draws energy from quiet introverted time
I do this.

Quote:
while and extrovert gets energy from socializing with others.
I do this too.

Quote:
Introverts can socialize, and Extroverts can have quiet time, but the one you find yourself naturally 'healed' by is the one which indicates which side of the split you're on.
It doesn't work that easily though. I am basically what you'd call "a shy extrovert" as well as "someone who wants to be left alone often but not always" all rolled into one. I enjoy conversing with others, but not all of the time. I would much rather be home than socializing outside ... yet at home I spend countless hours every day socializing here, on Skype, or elsewhere. How do you classify this? "He's an e-extrovert but an IRL-introvert?"

Think of cats. People accuse cats of being antisocial creatures because they're not emotional doormats like dogs. Cats get cranky if you shower them with too much attention and they tend to prefer the members of the family who give them space. But they do value spending time with members of the family. They get very lonely and depressed if they're kept segregated from the rest of the family. They don't handle being left home alone with zero humans in the house for days on end, even if you leave them plenty of food and water. Cats are social creatures, as evidenced by their own feline social structure as well as by their interactions with humans. And yet everyone understands that, as pets go, they are "antisocial," "like to be left alone," etc.

For the purposes of this conversation, we'll simplify things and say, "I am the human cat." You can't ask me, "Which one completes you? Which one makes you happiest and healthiest? Being alone or being with others?" It's like asking me to choose between water and oxygen.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 10:09 PM   #29
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
My personality is Lawful Evil.

That's way more descriptive than a 4-letter acronym!
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 11:14 AM   #30
Shuckle
Problematic Fave

HI FIVE FOR DA REAL MISTER GAME ALRIGHT YEAH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dream Breaker View Post
That's not entirely correct. The entire point of Myers-Brigg is determining the various "vectors" of your personality and where your energy goes; there's a difference between Fe (external Feeling) and Fi (internal Feeling), so the "F" isn't going to be the same in every personality type. While you can "pick and choose" the letters to your liking, that's a very surface level way of looking at things. At least, this is how I understand it.
Feeling and Intuitive Feeling are terrible words for the MBTI and I prefer "Concrete vs. Abstract" over "Sensing vs. Feeling".

Myers-Briggs does try to analyze which way each part of your personality goes, but it is far more interesting to see what interactions of these parts focus on. Don't worry too much about individual differences between what F means for different people. It's more of a group where multiple different methods of intuitively making decisions are combined due to similarity and the need for simplicity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazeVA View Post
People are inherently biased and often incapable of objectively judging themselves. Hence tests try to rule personal bias out...somewhat.
The Myers-Briggs Type Indicator is a test of personal biases. Any personal bias you bring only adds to the accuracy of the result.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
I almost always get a different thing every time, and this time's no exception: I am pretty sure this is the first time in my life the test's ever told me I am an INFP.

Two of the scores, historically, are always really close to the center and are prone to fluctuations. I believe it's the bottom two (the T/F pair and the J/P pair), but it could also be the center two. All I can really offer is, my I/E score tends to always be "strongly" I (it's not that strong, but it's by far my strongest score), and yet that's the one that often surprises friends most of all.

But yeah. I've taken all sorts of personality tests in life (including the hardcore version of the Myers-Briggs) and all of the Myers-Briggs ones have been pretty weak for me personally.

I've never seen the fifth axis which is present in this test -- Assertive vs. Turbulent -- but I can say that that score is probably more a product of my life right now and would likely be very different were you to look several years in either direction.
MENTI is pretty good too. I'm not enthusiastic about a test that is based on your mood rather than your lifestyle.

As for "On the cusp," this is a problem unique to personality tests. In general, you should just be asking yourself which letter describes you better. Tests have to work around the possibility that the taker did not understand the question properly. This means that "Has trouble introducing self to other people" can mean either that they are an introvert or that they are shy and a ST who took the question too literally. So what ends up happening over multiple questions filled with strange answers based on how you interpreted them (S vs N) and how you answered them (T vs F) is a hodgepodge of confusing and often contradictory answers that puts you in strange places along the spectrum.

Quote:
Part of the problem I have with the Myers-Briggs is just how much it's like a horoscope. Many of the personality articles will sound like they 80% describe you, and none of them -- not even the one assigned to you -- will feel like they're better than a 90% match. You'll find the article saying things about you and you're like, "But that's not what I'm like. " Or you'll find other people's articles saying things about them and you're like, "Hey! I do that! How come my article didn't mention that? "
It's actually quite easy to explain. Unlike your slight rant below which describes precisely why other, more confusing tests have come into favor in the psychological world (interestingly enough, these confusing tests are extremely difficult to interpret and everyone has difficulty understanding their results), the MBTI is meant to be more of a therapeutic or professional tool, not a predictive research indicator.

Yes, overlap does occur, and you can feel bad sometimes that your personality "Rap sheet" on this one specific site does not mention a specific trait that you yourself have. That's not what the MBTI is for. It is a categorization tool to help others understand how you learn and what kinds of relationships you form.

If you find yourself reading through your personality results going "Hm, I don't think this is right." and "Yeah that's not really me at all." for AT LEAST TWO MAIN STATEMENTS, then you probably didn't get the right result. Best to look through each type and determine which one describes you best. Remember, individual variation does exist, and you don't have to be conscious of tradition to be an ISFJ as long as you match the main ideas, like "takes relationships and responsibilities very seriously."

>online vs. IRL

I would place less weight on e-extroversion because of other factors that influence communication. Introverts as a rule tend to want to wait their turn during larger conversations and do not like to talk while others are talking. This means that online communication is very easy for them and they can thrive on this social contact without being an actual extrovert. In addition, introverts usually find it somewhat exhausting to be involved in conversation and enjoy the ability to take short breaks in between sentences.
Old 10-04-2014, 01:09 PM   #31
Char
Banned

I follow Talon's viewpoints mostly on this subject.
Old 10-04-2014, 05:01 PM   #32
Charminions
Your reality is mine

Got ISFP from the test, though I don't see myself as a trendsetter, or unpredictable, or particularly skilled in artistic expression.
Old 10-04-2014, 05:14 PM   #33
Shuckle
Problematic Fave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charminions View Post
Got ISFP from the test, though I don't see myself as a trendsetter, or unpredictable, or particularly skilled in artistic expression.
ISFPs tend to be artists because they deal in images. The S means that they take in information in the form of images, and the P means they are constantly taking in new information and processing it as it happens, rather than creating and executing plans. Combine with the I love of spending lots of time devoted to a single project and the F which allows the individual to present information in ways that appeal to emotion and you have a pretty good recipe for an artist - taking the causes literally and interpreting the effects creatively.

Not sure where trendsetter comes from...oh. That's perceived. Comes from creativity and constant inspiration. If you aren't a very creative person, chances are you aren't an FP, as that combination is usually defined as being exceptionally good at spontaneously coming up with new ideas.

If you don't consider yourself unpredictable, artistic, or creative, it's likely you're a T instead of an F. Check out ISTP and see if that fits better.
Old 10-05-2014, 10:25 PM   #34
Rangeet
Foot, meet mouth.

Send a message via MSN to Rangeet Send a message via Skype™ to Rangeet
I think this entire concept is ridiculous because trying to put seven billion people's minds into categories that number less than seven billion is not possible.

Maybe that's just me though.
Old 10-05-2014, 10:34 PM   #35
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangeetsuper View Post
I think this entire concept is ridiculous because trying to put seven billion people's minds into categories that number less than seven billion is not possible.

Maybe that's just me though.
Yes. Maybe that is just you. Maybe no one else has posted in this thread saying that exact same thing.

Quote:
Another problem I have with them is that they try to categorize the vast spectrum of personalities on this planet into just sixteen archetypes. It's pretty nuts.

Oh.
Old 10-05-2014, 11:04 PM   #36
Shuckle
Problematic Fave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuckle View Post
THE MYERS-BRIGGS TYPE INDICATOR IS USED AS A METHOD OF GROUPING PERSONALITIES AND I LIKE IT BECAUSE IT IS BROAD ENOUGH TO INCLUDE ALL PERSONALITY TYPES AND FOCUSED ENOUGH TO BE RELEVANT TO THE GROUPS OF PERSONALITY TYPES THAT IT INCLUDES. MANY OTHER INDICATORS ATTEMPT TO COME CLOSE WITH THINGS LIKE PERCENTAGE POINTS AND VAGUE WORDS BUT THEY ARE JUST NOT GOOD SO WE WILL IGNORE THEM. MBTI MASTER RACE.

IF THE MBTI WERE ABLE TO CATEGORIZE YOU AS A PERSON IT WOULD BE FAR TOO LONG AND NOBODY WOULD EVER SIT THROUGH IT BECAUSE IT WOULD HAVE LIKE 20 LETTERS AND THOUSANDS OF POSSIBLE PERSONALITY TYPES WHICH IS ACTUALLY EXTREMELY DUMB. THIS SITE WILL GIVE YOU A ROUGH GUIDE TO EACH PERSONALITY TYPE EVEN THOUGH IT CAN BE SLIGHTLY INACCURATE AND DOES NOT EXACTLY ACCOUNT FOR INTERNAL VARIATION WITHIN THE TYPES.

PLEASE BE AWARE THAT NO PERSONALITY TEST IS GOING TO ACCURATELY JUDGE YOUR M-B PERSONALITY TYPE AND THE ONLY BENEFIT OF TAKING A TEST IS THAT IT DOES NOT REQUIRE YOU TO UNDERSTAND WHAT EACH LETTER MEANS BUT YOU CAN FIND THAT EASILY BY CLICKING THIS. REMEMBER THAT IF YOU DON'T LIKE THE MBTI THAT YOU HAVE DETERMINED FOR YOURSELF IT IS PROBABLY NOT THE RIGHT ONE AS THE MBTI IS DESIGNED TO GIVE YOU THE PERSONALITY TYPE THAT YOU LIKE THE MOST
Yes, you're very smart. Shut up.

The reason we put people into categories based on personality is because there ARE categories. The correlation between people who identify as I or E is based on a genetic sensitivity to social contact. People above a certain threshold are "Introverts" and people below that threshold are "Extroverts." You don't get to be a special snowflake "ambivert" - it just means you aren't as strong an introvert as other people are. Of all the criticisms the MBTI gets, "I'm special! I deserve my own category and I DIDN'T GET IT" is one of the most easily deflected. We're studying interaction between various facets of personality and this is what we have discovered.

1. How you deal with others. (interaction) - social
2. How you see the world. (perception) - input
3. How you act on what you know. (action) - output
4. How you manage your time. (decision) - order

I had trouble with number 4 so if you have a better word than "decision" that would be great.

If you can come up with any more that are not just combinations or derivatives of those four questions, I'm sure the MBTI people would be fascinated to learn of your discovery. Some tried with "Assertive vs. Turbulent", again showing an unparallelled command of the English language and brilliant word choice, but unfortunately it seems that's really easily predicted by the answer to just number 1 and further distinguished by numbers 3 and 4.

You are probably protesting "DON'T PUT ME IN A BOX" and that probably makes you ISFP. Mayyyybe INTP. I don't have the literature in front of me right now. The fact of the matter is that it is an extremely huge box. It's not a tiny box that says "you have to be like this or else >:c) it's a very big box that says "you process the world in this sort of way." And ultimately, that's what personality is. There's a reason most reputable people call them "types" or "categories" and not try to say there are only 16 personalities full stop that are randomly distributed across people.

For that matter, the MBTI is a purely American invention and may not be quite as accurate in other cultures. I would be extremely interested in seeing a Chinese personality indicator, for example, just because of the culture differences. I'd also be interested in seeing people from other cultures performing on the test - what if Koreans all test S? That would give some pretty significant insight into a lot of different concepts. It's probably already been done, but I'm procrastinating so I can't research that right now.

Last edited by Shuckle; 10-05-2014 at 11:20 PM.
Shuckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 01:01 AM   #37
Rangeet
Foot, meet mouth.

Sure Talon but you have other problems with it while that one problem is large enough for me to discount MBTI as bullshit pseudoscience entirely. That this is a significant difference to me should be a good example of how even large categories don't work out.

Because they don't, Shuckle. The fact that you're trying to class me as something based on the fact that I think it's ridiculous feels to me like something out of a stage magician show. It doesn't matter how large the box is. Because it's too large. Unless there are seven billion of them. It doesn't matter to me how much you generalise, because the more you generalise, the more pointless it becomes. If it's a large box, it's useless because the people in them vary too much. If it's small enough that the people in them don't vary too much, then it contains one person.
Old 10-06-2014, 01:21 AM   #38
Zelphon
Caffeinated

Send a message via Skype™ to Zelphon
Wait...we're taking this seriously?

Zelphon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 01:28 AM   #39
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelphon View Post
No one but the OP.
Old 10-06-2014, 01:29 AM   #40
Rangeet
Foot, meet mouth.

But. But guys. It's the internet. How can it not be srs bsns? Is my life a lie? Am I really an INTJ instead of an INTP? I think I have to go think about everything.
Old 10-06-2014, 02:03 AM   #41
Shuckle
Problematic Fave

Quote:
Sure Talon but you have other problems with it while that one problem is large enough for me to discount MBTI as bullshit pseudoscience entirely. That this is a significant difference to me should be a good example of how even large categories don't work out.

Because they don't, Shuckle. The fact that you're trying to class me as something based on the fact that I think it's ridiculous feels to me like something out of a stage magician show. It doesn't matter how large the box is. Because it's too large. Unless there are seven billion of them. It doesn't matter to me how much you generalise, because the more you generalise, the more pointless it becomes. If it's a large box, it's useless because the people in them vary too much. If it's small enough that the people in them don't vary too much, then it contains one person.
The MBTI straddles the point where the too-big box meets the too-small box, at least in my opinion. I've said this from the very beginning. It's not an all-or-nothing problem like you're making it out to be - there is such thing as reasonable compromise. :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelphon View Post
Quote:
No one but the OP.

I get it, psychological research doesn't seem like a hard science like chemistry or physics does. Water doesn't get mad at you because you called it a universal "solvent" and it just doesn't feel like that term applies to it. Nobody complains that current models of human biology don't take their own core temperature of 98.8F into account and considers the standard of 98.7 to be way too arbitrary.

I'm not looking for that much validation here but a little less condescension would be nice, ok?

Quote:
But. But guys. It's the internet. How can it not be srs bsns? Is my life a lie? Am I really an INTJ instead of an INTP? I think I have to go think about everything.
Old 10-06-2014, 12:08 PM   #42
Mercutio
Banned

Originally I ignored this thread because lololol personality tests and also ALCAPS immediately makes me assume the author is an idiot as with constant emoticons or text speak. But since we seem to be going off track I'll bring it back a little with:

ENFP
Extravert(78%) iNtuitive(50%) Feeling(12%) Perceiving(22%)
You have strong preference of Extraversion over Introversion (78%)
You have moderate preference of Intuition over Sensing (50%)
You have slight preference of Feeling over Thinking (12%)
You have slight preference of Perceiving over Judging (22%)

(?)

I tried to put what I actually do over what I would like to do, was able the majority of questions without having to think, one or two you can interpret in different ways or are dependent on the situation so I tried to go with the typical response as directed.
Mercutio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 12:26 PM   #43
RealMrGame10

Mercutio is me! YAY! I think. Actually....

WHEN YOU WALK AWAY

D- Ref on PASBL
(PASBL squad!)
Let's go WILD
I will battle for cheap

lol who knows
Old 10-06-2014, 12:28 PM   #44
Mercutio
Banned

Sure why not.
Old 10-06-2014, 01:48 PM   #45
DaveTheFishGuy
Primordial Fishbeast

Send a message via Skype™ to DaveTheFishGuy
>Kush complete opposite of me

Everything's starting to make sense...
DaveTheFishGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 02:05 PM   #46
Emi
Barghest Barghest Barghe-

Send a message via Skype™ to Emi
They got his personality thing wrong.

It's not HATE.
Old 10-06-2014, 03:47 PM   #47
RealMrGame10

I don't feel special anymore...

WHEN YOU WALK AWAY

D- Ref on PASBL
(PASBL squad!)
Let's go WILD
I will battle for cheap

lol who knows
Old 10-06-2014, 05:53 PM   #48
Mercutio
Banned

Well I mean there's the caveat that I think this entire thread is complete idiocy because personality tests are fundamentally flawed from multiple viewpoints. So really you can interpret my results as you will.
Old 10-06-2014, 07:48 PM   #49
Heather
Naga's Voice

I recall Shuckle associating the "Dont put me in a box! " being INTP. I tested INTP and I actually dislike being defined under categories, I don't really like Myers-Briggs, its interesting but...inaccurate. Sorely so.

However, that's not to say some things don't match up on occassion, like what I just pointed out.

Basically, The Myers-Briggs can get some general characteristics, but their attempt to balance between overgeneralizing and overspecification ultimately fails in areas in a direct proportion to areas in which it is successful, hence Talon's specified effect of "This description is 80% me but 20% not." Of course, its not always 80 to 20, but it will usually present some definite ratio for people to that effect. For example, when I take the test, the end result's description is usually about 75% accurate, while about 25% I'd be leery on.

Feel free to ignore this wall of what is most likely largely inaccurate babble poorly constructed of personal experience and correlation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTheFishGuy View Post
Quoth the Honchkrow (nevermore!).
Fizzy Member Post: Catherine Park
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 08:04 PM   #50
RealMrGame10

I dunno, it was pretty spot-on with me. For example this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENFP
They believe that everyone should take the time to recognize and express their feelings, and their empathy and sociability make that a natural conversation topic.
It probably doesn't come out as much over the Internet, but this is very much like me, frankly. I think that the main problem with this system is that it exaggerates certain aspects of people's personalities, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's wrong. I think my English teacher last year put it best when he said "People who don't really know who they are benefit the most from this test, as it gives them an extreme version of who they are, so they can get a better idea than what they currently have."

WHEN YOU WALK AWAY

D- Ref on PASBL
(PASBL squad!)
Let's go WILD
I will battle for cheap

lol who knows

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > The Misc