UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > UPNetwork

Old 12-01-2012, 01:51 PM   #1
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Signature Max Height, Avatar Max Width

Not everybody is on the same page as far as signature and avatar etiquette goes. And since this has come up one time too many over the past year, I figured it might be a good idea to take the pulse of the situation. After all, if a super-majority of the current membership wants large-ass sigs, who am I to say no? So! Question for Kuno, but presented publicly so others can weigh in if they like: do we still want a max height for sigs and a max width for avatars on UPN or not? And if we do, what should those limits be?

The status quo has been avatars not to exceed a width of 200 pixels and signatures not to exceed a height of ??? pixels. I don't honestly recall what Dami's standard was for the latter but I seem to recall it was 450 or 500 pixels in combined text and imagery. Assuming these numbers are right, do we want to a) stick to them, b) allow larger avatars and/or signatures but still with limits, or c) remove all limitations?
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 02:19 PM   #2
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Luvdisc

What are you talking about? My signature is totally tiny. ;O
lilboocorsola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 02:44 PM   #3
kaisap112
Volcano Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilpinkcorsola View Post
What are you talking about? My signature is totally tiny. ;O
Yeah, right. I'm actually really bothered by huge signatures: if you insist on it being huge, can't you put it in a spoiler-box so I don't have to scroll through it every time and I can stop confusing signatures with picture content in a post?
Old 12-01-2012, 02:47 PM   #4
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

Aren't we a tight-knit enough community just to say "Have your sig be a reasonable size and spoiler things that get to big"?

私のことを消して本気で愛さないで 恋なんてただのゲーム 楽しめばそれでいい
閉ざした心を飾る 派手なドレスも靴も 孤独の友達

asbwffb

[jerichi]
Jerichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 02:57 PM   #5
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Luvdisc

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaisap112 View Post
Yeah, right. I'm actually really bothered by huge signatures: if you insist on it being huge, can't you put it in a spoiler-box so I don't have to scroll through it every time and I can stop confusing signatures with picture content in a post?
Sorry. I just made it larger to mess with Talon. ^^; I'll switch to the super-small version now.
Old 12-01-2012, 03:02 PM   #6
kaisap112
Volcano Badge

Quote:
Sorry. I just made it larger to mess with Talon. ^^; I'll switch to the super-small version now.
Not mad at you per se, I was directing that post to pretty much everybody. ^^'' I've seen plenty of big signatures that are not there as a joke (like I gathered yours was).
Old 12-01-2012, 03:12 PM   #7
The Morg
Trying to send Christmas cards

I like how everyone knew beforehand that Talon would be the one to complain. =3=

*munch munch* | FB Profile
The Morg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 03:20 PM   #8
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:

Your current signature is still so large that the only post I can see on a 900-pixel tall screen is yours, your sig alone accounting for over half of that, the remainder owed to browser borders, the Windows taskbar, and the text body portion of your post. If this is to be the new definition of a "small sig" on UPN, an official announcement is all I'm asking. The height of your "super small" picture alone, at over 400 pixels vertical height, on its own pushes (if not breaks) the old limit. Never mind the additional row beneath. But if this is the status quo Kuno wants to enshrine here -- "a post that fills the entire screen thanks mostly to its signature is a-okay" -- then I'll join the party and we'll see how long it lasts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerichi View Post
Aren't we a tight-knit enough community just to say "Have your sig be a reasonable size and spoiler things that get to big"?
What do you think I've been doing? Both the number of unique offenders being large as well as the presence of several repeat (3+) offenders forces this sort of thread into being. If asking nicely doesn't work, then either the policy has to be changed or else punishments have to be introduced. It's like you saying "Can't we just ask speeders to slow down nicely?" when people keep going 60 in a 35. At some point you either have to a) change the speed limit to suit people's demonstrated wants or else b) apply the law (meaning punishments) to send a message that enough is enough and to knock it off.

I haven't asked for punishments though nor do I plan to any time soon. I'm just saying: I'm tired of the "ask 'em to slow down once you see 'em speed but then let them go home" approach. Either punish people into complying ... or else change the rules to render their currently illegal behavior legal. The first, mild step in the former approach, and all that I have asked should it be decided we don't want to expand sig and avatar sizes past Dami's limits, is that Kuno officially declare the limits to be followed. That's all I ask today. If repeat offenders keep breaking that rule if and once it's clearly established, then we can talk punishment vs. changing the law.

Last edited by Talon87; 12-01-2012 at 03:24 PM.
Old 12-01-2012, 03:35 PM   #9
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Luvdisc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
Your current signature is still so large that the only post I can see on a 900-pixel tall screen is yours, your sig alone accounting for over half of that, the remainder owed to browser borders, the Windows taskbar, and the text body portion of your post. If this is to be the new definition of a "small sig" on UPN, an official announcement is all I'm asking. The height of your "super small" picture alone, at over 400 pixels vertical height, on its own pushes (if not breaks) the old limit. Never mind the additional row beneath. But if this is the status quo Kuno wants to enshrine here -- "a post that fills the entire screen thanks mostly to its signature is a-okay" -- then I'll join the party and we'll see how long it lasts.
Happy now? =3= Making me force Hon and my poor home internet to do all this work, I HOPE YOU'RE SATISFIED, MR. TALON.

(Maybe y'all should simply turn off images like I do on dial-up. ;O *shot*)
Old 12-01-2012, 06:47 PM   #10
Amras.MG
Not sure if gone...

I hate to be the Talon-supporter (that's a joke) but your sig is still really big lilblue...
Amras.MG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 06:52 PM   #11
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Luvdisc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amras.MG View Post
I hate to be the Talon-supporter (that's a joke) but your sig is still really big lilblue...
Gosh, you guys are such party poopers. =< PINK DESERVES TO BE BIG AND BOLD. (Meaning I'm not sacrificing more quality.)

Edit- There, I trimmed the top and bottom a little.

Last edited by lilboocorsola; 12-01-2012 at 07:07 PM.
Old 12-01-2012, 09:22 PM   #12
Rangeet
Foot, meet mouth.

Send a message via MSN to Rangeet Send a message via Skype™ to Rangeet
Avatar already has a limit of 200 x 200. As for sig, 1000p width, 500p height should be good to go.
Old 12-01-2012, 09:47 PM   #13
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangeetsuper View Post
Avatar already has a limit of 200 x 200. As for sig, 1000p width, 500p height should be good to go.
And that's where you'd be wrong. This is only the most recent example of an avatar larger than 200 pixels in width. (238 pixels in this case.)
Old 12-01-2012, 09:49 PM   #14
DaveTheFishGuy
Primordial Fishbeast

Send a message via Skype™ to DaveTheFishGuy
I think Daisy and a couple of others are exceptions. I mean I put this avatar in today and it was far larger at source, but it always shrinks down to this size.
DaveTheFishGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 10:12 PM   #15
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTheFishGuy View Post
I think Daisy and a couple of others are exceptions. I mean I put this avatar in today and it was far larger at source, but it always shrinks down to this size.
Why is it acceptable for some people to have table-breaking avatars but not others? The reason the 200 pixel limit was decided upon was because it was considered obscenely large by our old standards (back when we had a 100x100 avatar size limit) and was as large as we would allow the table column to be pushed over into the post column's space. Does anyone really need an avatar larger than 200 pixels? And if so, if that answer is "yes," then might there not be a time when everyone finds himself in need of such an avatar? Whatever the maximum acceptable size for avatars is considered to be, shouldn't everyone have equal access to it? And if you agree that it'd be off-putting were everyone to have super-sized avatars, then why turn a blind eye to it when one or two people do it?
Old 12-01-2012, 10:17 PM   #16
DaveTheFishGuy
Primordial Fishbeast

Send a message via Skype™ to DaveTheFishGuy
I wasn't defending it, merely pointing it out that only a few are able to use larger avatars.

A while back Daisy had one that was damn-near half the screen, which was really annoying.
DaveTheFishGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 10:31 PM   #17
Lady Kuno
The hostess with the mostess

I'm not home and wont be till tomorrow. Im on my phone. I cant tell how large Yukis sig is or give any numbers. All I can say is Rangeets sig is fucking huge sometimes. I think my sig, with spoiler box opened, is too large. That's why I put it there.

PROUD OWNER OF A MISSINGNO. IN FIZZY BUBBLES
Lady Kuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 10:37 PM   #18
Tyranidos
beebooboobopbooboobop

Send a message via AIM to Tyranidos Send a message via MSN to Tyranidos
Tyranitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
Why is it acceptable for some people to have table-breaking avatars but not others?
Can you draw as well as Daisy can?
Old 12-01-2012, 10:45 PM   #19
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyranidos View Post
Can you draw as well as Daisy can?
First, that has to be the shittiest excuse for special privileges on this forum I have ever heard. I can think of plenty of people who would deserve the privilege before Daisy if we're going to chalk it up to "positive and substantial contributions to the community."

But second, this isn't about Daisy and it isn't about saying certain people deserve special privileges. I'm saying that if an avatar is too big when one person uses it, it's too big when anyone uses it; and vice-versa that when an avatar is acceptably sized when one person uses it, then it is acceptably sized when anyone else uses it and thus anyone else should be permitted to use it.

Third, Daisy sure as fuck didn't draw the picture that is currently in her avatar, if that's what you were trying to suggest.

Fourth, see Point #2 again. It bears re-emphasizing as it is my entire point regarding the avatar situation. "What works for one works for all; what doesn't work for one should not be used by anyone else because the reasons for its not working are global concerns."
Old 12-01-2012, 10:50 PM   #20
Tyranidos
beebooboobopbooboobop

Send a message via AIM to Tyranidos Send a message via MSN to Tyranidos
IT. WAS. A. JOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOKE!
Old 12-01-2012, 10:55 PM   #21
Lady Kuno

As much as I like to dick around, this particular subforum isn't the best place for that. I also agree with Talon - avatars should be 200 or 175. The size I gave now I liked best. Cant check now phone.

Also Talon didnt reply to my comments. >O

Old 12-01-2012, 10:56 PM   #22
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Luvdisc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momo Hime-chan View Post
I'm not home and wont be till tomorrow. Im on my phone. I cant tell how large Yukis sig is or give any numbers.
The top image is currently 250 x 320 pixels. FB Banner is still the same height as before (52 pixels).
Old 12-01-2012, 11:00 PM   #23
Lady Kuno

Quote:

The top image is currently 250 x 320 pixels. FB Banner is still the same height as before (52 pixels).
Thanks. But that doesnt mean anything until I see it on an actual PC. Being on a phone is bad for judging imagee. I just posted to give my input.

Old 12-01-2012, 11:02 PM   #24
Lonely Cubone
Gee, Brain...

Send a message via MSN to Lonely Cubone
Talon, have you ever considered lying down for a bit and not getting quite as exercised about pointless things on the internet?
Lonely Cubone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 11:07 PM   #25
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I can't tell you how annoying it is that people keep saying this. That I care at all does not mean that I OMFG THE WORLD IS GOING TO FUCKING END I'MMA SLIT MY WRISTS RIGHT NOW IF PEOPLE DON'T SHRINK THEIR SIGS ;_; care. -.-;

'Cause I don't.

I just spoke up with about as much opposite of apathy "pathy" ;p as you do when you try to decide whether you want Fruit Loops or Apple Jacks for breakfast.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > UPNetwork