4v4 Doubles! 2 9.52%
6v6 Singles! 9 42.86%
Pants are the enemy! 10 47.62%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-07-2010, 03:25 PM   #1
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

Mudkip UPN Pokemon Tournament

With WiFi, we get to battle our friends from all over the globe.

We tried it once when D/P came out, and now it's been a decent amount of time since HG/SS came out, so let's try another tournament!

Post if you want to join. Or think it's a bad idea. Put in a poll too.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 03:36 PM   #2
The Morg
Trying to send Christmas cards

I'll join in. Perhaps I can earn some respect for my relatively less-used favourites.

Or maybe I'll give someone a bunch of laughs in addition to their quick win.

*munch munch* | FB Profile
The Morg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 03:46 PM   #3
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I would like to see different categories for entry. My original post went way overboard, so I'll just pick the format I'm most keen of, one which I do with pals IRL when one or the other of us is just way too good for the other guy to beat traditionally:

Have a format where switching is banned. (We call it "old school anime-style battling," but I don't want to confuse that with your guys' ASB , so I spelled it out for you.)

It shouldn't / cannot be the only format since some very suave competitive plays live on the switch. (e.g. Electivire? lol) But it'd be a fun alternative for folks looking to try something new. I can vouch for it personally that it makes things very fun for both players.

Last edited by Talon87; 05-07-2010 at 03:49 PM.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 04:00 PM   #4
The Morg

A double battle with no switching would be fun, although I'd also like to see a single battle that brings in all the strategiary and competition and stuff that ``pros'' are into these days.

Also would moves like Baton Pass and Roar be forbidden in a no-switching battle?
Old 05-07-2010, 04:09 PM   #5
Stlbk
taco...

Send a message via AIM to Stlbk
My guess is that is would not be allowed, just makes sense to me.

I like 6 v 6 singles with switching for some good old fashion kickassness.
We could post results/each team after the battles too for people to see how it went down.
Stlbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 04:13 PM   #6
Talon87
時の彼方へ

No, they're allowed when we (IRL friends) play. You just can't manually switch. We figure, "If you've invested 25% of your move pool on Roar/Whirlwind, we're not going to deny you the awesomeness that goes with." Think of it as when Ash's Butterfree whirlwinded Misty's Starmie (and then their fight got interrupted). We created the no-switch rule to try and emulate the difficulty of a Season 1 gym leader to win against the newbie known as Ash. They had every reason to beat him time and again until you consider just how often they'd call back their dude and send in a new one after successfully KO'ing one of Ash's and how, back in Season 1, this seemed to be considered as a point against them (i.e. it was as though the called-back Pokemon were as good as KO'd).

And so even if that made for some frustrated viewing at times ;D , we realized that it would really level the playing field. The problem (IRL) was that I wanted to find people to play with but they'd soon get discouraged after losing 0-3 to me. Then one day I proposed the "I don't get to switch rule" and one friend liked it, did it to himself too (by his request, so he didn't feel like he was being handed a win or something), and we both had way more fun. He had the satisfaction of taking down some of my elites, and I had the thrill of actually being about to lose and having to squeeze every ounce of strength out of my dudes to achieve victory.

The format, naturally, favors aggro playstyles over combo ones (like Swords Dance Baton Pass, or like switching in Gyarados and then calling him back deliberately to send out Electivire to soak up the Thunderbolt that had been meant for Gyarados), but most people I know IRL prefer pure aggro anyway. It's more fulfilling to punch a guy in the face than it is to slip poison into his tea which causes his teeth to fall out over the course of 3 days.

Last edited by Talon87; 05-07-2010 at 04:16 PM.
Old 05-07-2010, 04:52 PM   #7
Loki

Actually, I would assume bulky Pokemon are more powerful. Especially tanks like Snorlax and probably bulky Gyarados.
Old 05-07-2010, 08:53 PM   #8
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

I can vouch for the method Talon's talking about. It's quite easy to do, and rather fun. It really forces you to make sure all of your pokemon can deal with a variety of threats. Of course, it does have a downside. It often becomes a series of revenge kills, coming down to whoever has the type advantage over the final match-up.
People should watch what they enjoy regardless of what others think, even if it's a terribad guilty pleasure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
Though, I also dislike the concept of lamenting the current day while wishing to re-experience the past. At least, my modern attitude is to try and make each new day magical even if it's not, since exclusively reminiscing about the past is too pathetic.
Kindrindra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 03:03 AM   #9
Muyotwo
Dominator of Bike Levels

I will fight in this no matter the rules, but I want the rules laid out at least a week ahead of time.
Old 05-09-2010, 03:11 AM   #10
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

Agreeing with Muyo.
People should watch what they enjoy regardless of what others think, even if it's a terribad guilty pleasure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
Though, I also dislike the concept of lamenting the current day while wishing to re-experience the past. At least, my modern attitude is to try and make each new day magical even if it's not, since exclusively reminiscing about the past is too pathetic.
Kindrindra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 11:38 AM   #11
Loki

Rule 1: You can't wear pants while battling. If you are caught with pants, you will be disqualified.

EDIT: On a more serious note, I'm working on getting a possible reward. Like maybe give away my Deoxys or Celebi or a Jirachi. But I used to give those away (for free) from a long while back, so I'm not sure it is a good prize.

Last edited by Loki; 05-09-2010 at 11:45 AM.
Old 05-09-2010, 11:44 AM   #12
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Well that's okay: because I like shorts. They're comfy and easy to wear.
Old 05-09-2010, 01:02 PM   #13
Lady Kuno
The hostess with the mostess

Any prize won't really matter. Most anything can be hacked and the legitimacy of whatever will always come to question.

Worse comes to worse if you can't decide anything the prize can be a random 'mon from my game (just so it says Kuno, etc).

PROUD OWNER OF A MISSINGNO. IN FIZZY BUBBLES
Lady Kuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 01:48 PM   #14
Talon87
時の彼方へ

To be completely honest, if somebody wants to receive a hacked Pokémon, we could always oblige. Trainer name could be hacked to UPN2010 (for the 2010 UPNetwork Contest), creature could be something ridiculous (like a Master Ball-caught Bidoof), creature name could be the account name of the winner (e.g. Blastoise, Loki, Muyotwo, YourMom), and the item could be something useful to people who don't use hacks (like a rare berry or an expensive held item or some such).

As far as an honor system goes, shrug. I'm down with using zero-hacked as well as totally-hacked teams. Doesn't bother me any. Pearl and Heart Gold are my most up-to-date paks which have never seen the light of hacking day, whereas Diamond is my hack-pak. Whatever people want to do.
Old 05-09-2010, 03:21 PM   #15
Emp
Volcano Badge

Count me in. And I suggest 6 vs 6 singles since I simply can't be bothered to breed/train an entire new team geared around double battles >> as for prizes, I'd like a Jirachi for my Heartgold (for the Pokewalker Course), but there's nothing else I really need. I'm just happy taking part.
Emp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 05:05 PM   #16
Lonely Cubone
Gee, Brain...

Send a message via MSN to Lonely Cubone
I like the idea, but having no competitive HGSS team and no time to get one created, I'll have to observe only.

Of course, if anyone fancies being a lazy toad and doing it on Shoddy, I'd be well up for that.
Lonely Cubone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 07:08 PM   #17
Loki

I'd rather not do Shoddy Battles. It skips a lot of things. I would have to give away the Jirachi from the bonus disc of Colosseum. I don't know if that unlocks the special path for HG/SS's Pokewalker.
Old 05-09-2010, 08:51 PM   #18
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I'll say again: if people aren't against the use of made-from-thin-air creatures, I'd be more than happy to take requests (one at a time!!) and make them in PokéSav. If, on the other hand, we're going to have an iron-fisted "NO! >O" policy with regards to hackmons, then I guess you're s.o.l. as far as my ability to help you out is concerned, Lonely Cubone. ^^;

What are the rules with regards to statuses? Sleep? Freeze? Very Badly Poisoned? etc.

What's the verdict on Explosion? Selfdestruct?

What's the verdict on Choice Items? Limit to one of each kind? or limit to one Choice item period? Or a complete ban? Or zero restrictions?

Last edited by Talon87; 05-09-2010 at 08:55 PM.
Old 05-09-2010, 10:54 PM   #19
The Morg

Would rather not see any hacked mon.

Also don't worry about not having a ``competitive'' team as mine at least won't be made of super-powerful mon that everyone uses. :V

*munch munch* | FB Profile
Old 05-10-2010, 12:55 AM   #20
Loki

I'd also prefer non-hacked Pokemon. If you were using Pokesav Pokemon, we may as well be using Shoddy.

Personally, the rules I like are simple and fairly standard:

Sleep Clause. Item Clause. Species Clause. Self KO Clause. Evasion Moves Banned. OHKO Moves Banned. No Ubers. Garchomp is OK. Y/N to all that?

I don't think there's any way to enforce Freeze Clause without denying people the use of almost all the good Ice attacks and it's somewhat uncommon with all freezing attacks being a mere 10%.
Old 05-10-2010, 02:43 AM   #21
Rangeet
Foot, meet mouth.

Send a message via MSN to Rangeet Send a message via Skype™ to Rangeet
Since I don't have a DS, I can't enter, but I'll just say I'd be happy to participate if you guys chose Shoddy.
Old 05-10-2010, 03:45 AM   #22
Muyotwo
Dominator of Bike Levels

I've got a basic team for that apart from item clause, so if we fiddle with that I can be good to go in time.

I'll also volunteer a legit rare event Pokémon or a legit shiny as the prize. I have numerous ones to choose from from early days of D/P in the Serebii WiFi chatroom.
Old 05-10-2010, 12:56 PM   #23
Loki

Aside from Freeze Clause missing, it's pretty much the Nintendo Standard Rules.
Old 05-10-2010, 02:47 PM   #24
Emp
Volcano Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki View Post
Garchomp is OK. Y/N to all that?
N!

Although I'd love to use my old Chomp again, that thing is seriously broken. It's almost guaranteed to kill something once it comes in, just because of how hard to counter it is. I say we follow Smogon's tiers, banning ubers and Latias (since the whole Soul Dew clause is too difficult to enforce in wifi matches). As for hacks, I wouldn't be bothered if they're under legal bounds or if it was a one-off for something hard to obtain, such as a Raikou hacked with Hidden Power Ice, but it's up to what everyone else thinks. I don't have Pokesav so I won't be hacking myself anyways.
Emp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 05:52 PM   #25
Talon87
時の彼方へ

That was the idea, Empoleon. Not to create impossible-to-have creatures but to create possible-but-difficult-as-all-getout creatures. Like creating a Sceptile with exactly the right HP and Speed IVs and EVs instead of wasting 200 hours of one's life breeding and another 30 hours EV training. "Wait, you mean my Sceptile has the IVs for Hidden Power Ground? Neuuuuuuuuuuuuuu! D:"

But like Morg, I really don't care that much about losing with my faves so I'm not crushed about the community's phobia of hacking programs. *shrug*

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON