UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > The Misc

Old 11-20-2012, 04:28 PM   #26
Shuckle
Problematic Fave

Twinkies will most likely be bought by some other company because of that consumer rush, lol.

This is actually pretty big news around here - I was surprised because everyone seemed to know.
Old 11-20-2012, 05:53 PM   #27
deoxys
Fog Badge

Oh yeah. Went to the local place the other day (spoilered for hugeass images) -

Spoiler: show

No more fruit pies
deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 06:00 PM   #28
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by deoxys View Post
Oh yeah. Went to the local place the other day (spoilered for hugeass images) -

Spoiler: show

No more fruit pies
So they do exist! Not sure if I've ever seen one of those before. Probably driven by tons of 'em and just not known it.

I do think it's funny how the focus nationwide is so heavily on Twinkies even though most of us admit we don't eat them while Wonder Bread, which I know a lot of families purchase, is now dead as well. Perhaps it reflects how in recent years more and more families have purchased store-brand loaves of bread rather than their more expensive corporate counterparts? Our family used to always mix and match indiscriminately (between store brand, Sunshine, and Wonder) but I've always purchased store-brand bread and I wonder if the media's utter lack of attention to Wonder Bread's disappearance is a reflection of the fact that so many other homes quit buying it too.

That, or nothing changed and Americans on the whole eat a hell of a lot more Twinkies than I realize they do.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 07:06 PM   #29
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
I stopped eating WonderBread for the reasons Blastoise pointed out - white bread is not just comparatively unhealthy, whole wheat bread kicks its arse in taste.

Granted, I should probably switch back, because I have this abnormal tendency to vacuum whole wheat foods in quantities they weren't intended. For example, upon buying two loaves of Costco whole wheat bread, I'd proceed to eat both in one day when paired with peanut butter. On the pasta side, I'd consume fourteen cups of whole wheat pasta when I'd normally only eat...four, six max? using the regular stuff.

Any nutritional benefit offered by those foods is greatly offset by the quantity I consume. I wonder if it's because the energy content is lower...? Regardless, the whole idea that "whole wheat makes you full" is FAKE. I am NEVER full when I eat whole wheat anything, I just consume more and more.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 07:16 PM   #30
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Was raised on ethnic and American white breads. Pita, naan, you name it, I grew up eating it and it was white. It wasn't until 2007 when I quit drinking soda cold turkey (still going strong; have only ever had four drinks since the fast began over five years ago and only two were my fault) that I decided to switch from white to wheat. At first, I really hated the taste of wheat bread. But with time, it grew on me. However, I still like white bread too and for the past 6-12 months have switched back to white just because, after eating 95%+ wheat bread for the previous four years, I was sick and tired of it and wanted to try white again.

Wheat bread has an overpowering flavor. As a result, depending on what you're eating the wheat bread with its flavor can either complement or corrupt the other tastes in the meal. In my experience, things wheat bread goes quite well with include:
  • tuna sandwiches
  • peanut butter sandwiches
  • buttered toast w/ breakfast meals like scrambled eggs or bacon
  • deli meat sandwiches
Whereas white bread, precisely because it doesn't overpower the other agents' flavors, is preferred for things like:
  • homemade burgers
  • jam on toast when all you want is to appreciate the taste of the jam
  • baked beans on toast
  • cheese and toast sandwiches when all you want to appreciate is the taste of the cheese
To be honest, the disagreement others were having the other day over brown rice vs. white rice strikes me as similar to this. Putting aside personal preferences (mine is for white rice), I feel like white rice is best for meals where it's meant only to add mass to the spoonful and you're supposed to be savoring the taste of the other ingredients whereas brown rice is best for meals where the distinct taste of brown rice is part of the meal's authentic taste.
Old 11-20-2012, 07:55 PM   #31
Slash
Silver LO

Send a message via Yahoo to Slash Send a message via Skype™ to Slash
Shockingly, again, I agree wholeheartedly with Talon here.

Am I in the Twilight Zone?
KAIRNE I WILL RIP OFF YOUR SCROTUM AND FEED IT TO YOU THROUGH A FUCKING SWIRLY STRAW.

Slash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 08:16 PM   #32
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
Any nutritional benefit offered by those foods is greatly offset by the quantity I consume. I wonder if it's because the energy content is lower...? Regardless, the whole idea that "whole wheat makes you full" is FAKE. I am NEVER full when I eat whole wheat anything, I just consume more and more.
Eating a lot of something doesn't really lower the nutritional benefit at all- you're still eating the same thing. However, there is a possibility of you getting too much- but on the flipside, there are many nutrients which are near impossible to have to much of. Never heard of a 'Vitamin C overdose'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kairne View Post
Shockingly, again, I agree wholeheartedly with Talon here.

Am I in the Twilight Zone?
Hey, Talon comes up with good ideas a lot!
People should watch what they enjoy regardless of what others think, even if it's a terribad guilty pleasure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
Though, I also dislike the concept of lamenting the current day while wishing to re-experience the past. At least, my modern attitude is to try and make each new day magical even if it's not, since exclusively reminiscing about the past is too pathetic.
Kindrindra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 01:26 AM   #33
deoxys
Fog Badge

Talon hit the nail on the head. I usually have a strong dislike of wheat bread due to it's overpowering taste, and, like him, grew up on ethnic/uncommon and white, but have had a lot more wheat in the cabinet in latter years. I prefer white to to wheat 100%, but also love pita, rye, pumpernickel, and cinnamon raisin.

And now I want hummus and pita.
deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 03:34 AM   #34
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

I also don't like the texture or dryness of wheat bread. Especially after toasting. White bread is what I grew up with, so it feels just right. And as Grilled Cheese Sandwiches are pretty much the only sandwich I make, the fact that wheat bread is drier pretty much requires me to throw more butter on it. And because the bread is now covered in twice the butter, I sincerely doubt the bread is in any way healthier.

My (theoretical) children will probably grow up on wheat bread though and feel that white is too bland or something.

Fuck the future and healthiness. What, you want to live forever? When food is in pill form, I should take a cyanide pill.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 03:40 AM   #35
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Your food pill comment reminds me of the old Garfield & Friends episode which dealt with this. Can't find it on YouTube so TV Tropes will have to do:
In a Garfield and Friends episode, Garfield falls asleep and wakes up in The Future where all food is in pill form, much to his chagrin. When he wakes up and sits down for his lunch, Jon serves him a pill on a plate causing him to run away in a panic.
Jon: What's wrong with taking a daily vitamin tablet?
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/FoodPills
Old 11-21-2012, 03:54 AM   #36
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

I think I remember that episode.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 08:40 AM   #37
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindrindra View Post
Eating a lot of something doesn't really lower the nutritional benefit at all- you're still eating the same thing.
Yes it does; not everything you eat has the chance to get fully digested before peristaltic movement carries it through your digestive system. The more food consumed at once, the less efficient the body will be at extracting it. Some things like carbohydrates are always digested, but more complex compounds are more likely to pass before they're absorbed.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 11-26-2012, 09:15 PM   #38
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I got my Hostess stuff. I can see why people were averse. The blueberry muffins are pretty good, but at $5.00 a box (wtf?) that's a pretty obnoxious price. And the portions really do fit in with Talon's assessment that Hostess was made for elementary school lunches. I definitely felt like I was eating kid's snacks.

The mini-bite cream filled chocolate cakes enraged me. Expensive, small, and ridiculously high HFC and other sugar. It's like since my childhood, Hostess has reduced the size of its baked goods but massively increased the sugar content. It didn't even taste that sweet to me, it tasted like maybe chocolate bread.

But the real enraging part was looking at the ingredients list. I feared that the cream was marshmallow (which I can't eat, since gelatin isn't kosher) but was equally horrified to discover that Hostess used hydrogenated soybean oil (bad) or animal shortening (!!?!) instead.

I don't like "bathing a calve in its mothers milk", i.e. eating meat of an animal in the same sitting as consuming that animal's products. I especially don't like the idea of meat as a "dessert" or "candy", leading me to eschew some candies that use beef bone extract to give a chewy texture (Mentos).

But man, here I don't even know what I'm eating. The label implies they could have used shortening OR hydrogenated soybean oil. There's no way to tell what machine it came from. And $5 a box!

At least the muffins are tasty.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 11-26-2012, 09:21 PM   #39
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Do you not mix meat and cheese? Why do you follow a kosher diet?
Old 11-26-2012, 09:46 PM   #40
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
Do you not mix meat and cheese?
Nope. I haven't for at least six years now. The last Taco Bell taco I ever had was in 2004.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
Why do you follow a kosher diet?
I don't know, exactly.

Given how I view Jesus, perhaps I'm becoming an assimilated Jew.

It began with a childhood disgust with pork. It just happened, and my parents came up with apocryphal explanations for it. But it's slowly, my diet has shaped around those laws without me knowing about it until I looked up the specific laws in 2005. By that time, I had

1) Not touched pork since 1992
2) Stopped eating shellfish
3) Never consumed blood vessels found in meat [not exactly a rule]
4) Stopped mixing meats (turkey/beef in one sitting) [not part of the kashrut]
5) Stopped mixing meat/animal products

I stopped with gelatin after 2005, and started eating mushrooms enthusiastically in 2008+. I moved away from cheese then moved back when I learned that microbial rennet is kosher, and is becoming the industry standard for financial purposes. Heck, normal rennet is disgusting. Yes, let's all coagulate our cheese with the stomach lining of baby calves!

My hypothesis is that kosher must be genetic, and that over the years I've been expressing proteins or hormones that make me predisposed toward Jewish Dietary Laws. I really have no words or any scientific/cultural/traditional defense for why I'm doing it.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 07-30-2013, 12:04 AM   #41
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Eight months. Nearly eight months later to the day, apparently, the Twinkie returned. Only just heard about this. Going to feel bad now for all those people who went out and bought boxes upon boxes of Twinkies thinking they'd be major antique items one day worth a lot of money ......................... only to now find themselves with a bunch of eight-month old hydrogenated soy oil.
Old 07-30-2013, 01:19 AM   #42
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

I forgot to post this in here, but not long after Hostess went out of business, I checked the hostess part of the grocery store I go to. It seems Little Debbie took most of the products Hostess left. Sadly they are still retardedly overpriced. So much for getting Hostess stuff at Little Debbie prices!
big bad birtha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 12:20 PM   #43
kaisap112
Volcano Badge

So people can still eat Twinkies, whatever name they're under now?

Was watching an episode of Suits yesterday and Twinkies got a mention.

"Who would eat Twinkies?!"
"Who wouldn't eat Twinkies?!"

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > The Misc