Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 04:51 PM   #2752
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercutio View Post
Relatedly, Weird Al is still a thing.
Wow, I did not need to see this right now.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 05:52 PM   #2753
Shuckle
Problematic Fave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercutio View Post
The 1/8 Polish in me should probably feel bad for not speaking Polish but the 7/8 British Imperial Master Race makes me not feel so bad.
Don't worry, there was a Polska Genghis Khan about 200 years ago who impregnated literally 1/8 of European pani, so a duzy portion of people you know are in the same lodz.

>minimum income

There are problems like debt and inflation. It's not a good plan.
Old 07-19-2014, 09:24 PM   #2754
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHA4j66MCa0
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 10:27 PM   #2755
Talon87
時の彼方へ

This guy gets waaaaaaaaaaaaaay too excited over F.E.A.R. tactics.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 10:42 AM   #2756
Mercutio
Banned

Why Hoenn will suck.
Mercutio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 04:29 AM   #2757
Shuckle
Problematic Fave

BORKED
Old 07-23-2014, 08:16 AM   #2758
gmoyes
Thunder Badge

Send a message via Skype™ to gmoyes
http://espurr.net/
gmoyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 11:30 AM   #2759
Shuckle
Problematic Fave

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmoyes View Post
oh look it's kush's new avatar
Shuckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 03:04 PM   #2760
Charminions
Your reality is mine

BORKED
Old 07-24-2014, 06:49 AM   #2761
Mercutio
Banned

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...e-9625067.html

This is why I hate everything. That and tourists.
Mercutio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 07:35 AM   #2762
Rangeet
Foot, meet mouth.

Send a message via MSN to Rangeet Send a message via Skype™ to Rangeet
35C is nothing more than fairly warm and 45% humidity is quite dry. Silly Brits!
Old 07-24-2014, 07:38 AM   #2763
rotomotorz
Think ye can take me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangeetsuper View Post
35C is nothing more than fairly warm and 45% humidity is quite dry. Silly Brits!
{======|_|""T""|_|""r""|_|""a""|_|""i""|_|""n""|
/o--000'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'
Squad Summary

rotomotorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 09:22 AM   #2764
Shuckle
Problematic Fave

I dunno, 95F is a little bit more than just "fairly warm" in every part of the world.

I agree that most northerners are whiners and that 81F is not "dangerously hot" to my dog (no auntie really I mean it), but come on now, 95 is nothing but hot no matter which way you spin it.

Course, I can't talk, we've had a wonderfully mild summer so far with temperatures reliably in the high 80s and that is fine by me.

EDIT I just read the article like okay ya pansies 95 is something to complain about but not 86.
Old 07-24-2014, 09:31 AM   #2765
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

Send a message via Skype™ to Concept
People from different parts of the world in being adjusted to different temperatures shocker. I'm happy in a t-shirt in 5 degree weather, but 30+ is too hot for me. If you're from a warmer part of the world it'll be different for you.
Concept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 09:44 AM   #2766
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
If Mumbai, India adopted universal air conditioning for its inhabitants at American standards, the associated energy demand from this city alone would come to a quarter of the cooling demand for the entire U.S.
Source: http://physics.ucsd.edu/do-the-math/...ocking-the-ac/
Parent source: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/19/su...-quandary.html

India is just 1) that much hotter and 2) that much more populated. Still. Amazing. To think that one city would match a quarter of our country in energy demands just by matching our interiors' temperatures.
Old 07-24-2014, 11:39 AM   #2767
DaveTheFishGuy
Primordial Fishbeast

Send a message via Skype™ to DaveTheFishGuy
I've been on a fishing trip today and all I caught was sunburn.
DaveTheFishGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 01:10 PM   #2768
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Say what you will about the Queen, but I think moments like these are nice. I like seeing evidence of how similar we all are, regardless of race, religion, or creed, regardless of sex, ancestry, or station in life.
Old 07-24-2014, 02:52 PM   #2769
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
I think "discrete person" = "anyone". The section I took that from was contextually a discussion about the intended audience of Chaucer's manual, dedicated to a fictional son of his but more generally intended for anyone to build themselves an astrolabe.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
Well, that can't quite be it. You've still got that "every" in front to account for. And not only do we not say "every anyone" but every and any are partially antonymous.
To quickly get in on this, I think it's possible that 'discrete' might be being used in a similar way to 'distinct' in this example, considering that word meaning wasn't as clear cut back then. So, I think what the passage is saying is that he's not simply addressing all who read the passage, but is in fact individually addressing each and every person who reads it.
People should watch what they enjoy regardless of what others think, even if it's a terribad guilty pleasure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
Though, I also dislike the concept of lamenting the current day while wishing to re-experience the past. At least, my modern attitude is to try and make each new day magical even if it's not, since exclusively reminiscing about the past is too pathetic.
Kindrindra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 05:23 PM   #2770
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Heartbroken dog mourns owner.

Old 07-24-2014, 06:06 PM   #2771
Chalis
Activating Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangeetsuper View Post

"Meteor Jam!"

Chalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 07:34 PM   #2772
DaveTheFishGuy
Primordial Fishbeast

Old 07-27-2014, 07:47 PM   #2773
Talon87
時の彼方へ

This idea is beloved by many a science fiction writer. But boy does it drive me crazy! >_< The example that always comes to mind for me is Sliders (the Fox science fiction series from the early-to-mid '90s). But it's come up in all manner of places. (Though Star Trek is the only other one I'm confident of at the moment. Trying to remember all the others ...)

On topic, Episode 01 implies that Pikachu fights for Ash at the end there and that he begins to respect the boy and care about his well-being. Like, granted, he could've totally just been fighting for his own self-preservation. But the implication is that he's moved to action by witnessing Ash's self-sacrifice. That's as good a reason as any to say that Occam's razor supports the interpretation that Final Lightbulbachu is Ash's original Pikachu and not one of the Viridian City Pokémon Center's many Pikachu.
Old 07-27-2014, 07:49 PM   #2774
DaveTheFishGuy
Primordial Fishbeast

Oh yeah I totally agree that there was no great Pikachu mix-up, I just thought it was funny enough to be worth posting.
Old 07-28-2014, 11:06 AM   #2775
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Awkward moment at SGDQ 2014. For the full run, click here.

Spoiler: show
A little background information:

The moment where the runner shuts the guy down was a little after the 20' mark in the full run.

The moment where the guy in the green hoodie starts doing jumping jacks was at the climax of the game, about five minutes before the end of the full length video.

The guy in the green hoodie was not invited to sit on the couch. Recent GDQ events have had a policy of reserving the couch for the runner and two to three hand-picked commentators.

People say that the runner is normally very entertaining. But others say that the run "really began" after the runner silenced the hoodie guy, so whether the runner's behavior from that point onward is indicative of a normal run of his or not, I don't know.

It was the hoodie guy's birthday.

Equipped with that information, decide for yourself who was in the right here and who was in the wrong. Me personally ...

Spoiler: show
I think that the green hoodie guy needed to be asked to be quiet. He wasn't going to shut up otherwise and he was clearly making the runner uncomfortable. Whether or not you criticize the runner for getting uncomfortable, the fact remains that the runner should not be made uncomfortable. The environment both on the couch and in the room should be made optimal for each runner. Some runners love idle chitchat. Others despise it.

I think that the runner could have been more tactful. He bottled up his frustration, tried to telegraph it with looks, with how he replied (or didn't reply) in the first twenty minutes, etc. Then, when he could take it no more, he in polite language essentially told the hoodie guy to shut the fuck up. A more tactful response to the situation could have defused it happily for all. For example, GDQs have a concept known as "Serious Time". When a runner calls Serious Time, everyone in the room except the runner -- even couch commentators and the donations reader -- is expected to stop talking. If he had bluffed a Serious Time -- as clearly the hoodie guy lacked familiarity with the game -- he could've bought himself ten minutes of silence there. Similarly, without formally invoking the Serious Time clause, the runner could have shushed the hoodie guy with an "I need to concentrate here" or "Okay, this next part is tricky. I need silence, and then I'll explain afterward what just happened." Not everyone is talkative, but perhaps the best strategy he could have employed would have been to lock the hoodie guy out of making comments by a) talking much more himself or b) entreating his hand-picked couch crew to. That was one of the big failures of this situation, unfortunately: his two wingmen were quiet throughout most of the early run. They should have picked up on their friend's distress and come to his rescue with commentary that was on point and not forced attempts at humor like what the hoodie guy kept doing.

I think that this event will result in future GDQs having a more strictly enforced policy about who can sit on the couch with the runner and who cannot. Previous GDQ runs have been ruined by annoying, uninvited commentary from people in the audience. I've noticed that the past two GDQs have lacked this entirely, indicating that the event organizers responded to the community's feedback by instituting new policies on who can and cannot speak up during a run. More or less, the only people who can are the runner, the donations reader, and the couch crew. So, I think that we'll see a more strictly-enforced screening process of who is allowed to sit on the couch and who is not. Don't know the game? Don't know the runner? Weren't invited? Then take a common chair in the back with the rest of the crowd. Couch reserved for runners and chosen guests only.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > The Misc