UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > The Misc

Old 05-15-2016, 07:46 PM   #176
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerichi View Post
It is generally advisable to have at least one recovery day per week to lessen the chance of injury.
But he does have that though. Monday is Arm Day. He is doing leg stuff the other six days of the week.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 10:03 PM   #177
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
Since I cycle through different exercises each day, I'm largely unafraid of any injury chance. With the exception of the runs, I tend to abandon ship on lifts if I struggle just a little bit. I don't train until failure - if the form breaks down I stop.

Both runs, at the moment, are half run, half walk - eventually I'd like to run the whole way, but that's something to work up to. But for 3 miles I'm running at 12 mph, and 15 miles is at 6 mph. I have experienced strains, cramps, chafing and all sorts of nasties on those that don't go away after a day of rest. More like months of rest. I'm going to investigate extensive stretching to limit the damage done on those days.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 10:10 PM   #178
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Results from the first run:

2 miles, 17 minutes

I got delayed a bunch and ended up stopping, but extrapolated to 3 miles, it's 25 minutes, 30 seconds.

I don't know how to feel about this. First, I didn't run the whole 3 miles, so that's a thing. But this run ended up only being a mere 7 mph, which is barely better than a slow jog (6 mph).

Goal: 3 miles, < 18 minutes

I have a laaaaawng way to go. Even at my peak, with interval training allowing me to sprint portions of the race, my best was about 21 minutes for 3 miles (7 minutes a mile). I suspect that after the super long distance training I might have shaved that down to 20 minutes, but still.

I'm glad I have the foundation from last year, doing this from scratch with the time pressure would be beyond awful.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 05-20-2016, 05:23 AM   #179
Lunar Delta
Cascade Badge

Send a message via AIM to Lunar Delta
I recently totally quit drinking soda and most fruit juice, as well as most sugary foods. Been walking around 4-5 miles per day, trying to work my way up to jogging again. I might go back to DDR too. I used to play so much I'd burn hundreds of calories per session.
Lunar Delta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 02:35 PM   #180
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

183 lbs. I've dropped 7 since May 1. That's close to 2.85 lbs per week (normal safe drop is 2 lbs/week), which is close to my projection. I should thus be 180 by the start of June.

I'm going to kick up the exercise a bit, with more cardio. I find I'm thirsty way more now. I cut out even my beloved diet soda so it's a constant war on thirst here.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 05-21-2016, 03:51 PM   #181
Mercutio
Banned

Doppel you really really shouldn't be exercising like that every day. Be careful. But it sounds like impressive progress!
Mercutio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 04:16 PM   #182
Shuckle
Problematic Fave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerichi View Post
It is generally advisable to have at least one recovery day per week to lessen the chance of injury.
Cardio operates under different rules from lifting - it's why most athletic programs have daily practices. The reason lifting requires rest days is because muscles are "torn" during lifting (microtears, which is basically the same as stretching out a shirt until you hear the stitches pop) and your body dedicates protein and calories towards rebuilding and strengthening the muscle tissue.

In cardiovascular activity, however, you aren't training movement muscles, you're training your heart and lungs. Stronger and more efficient tissue there allows for more efficient pathways for oxygen which means better muscular endurance, better removal of lactic acid buildup, more time spent in efficient aerobic processes etc. etc. (the body's energy system is very complicated and while it is fairly well-understood, it's not easy to explain succinctly).

While yes, he is technically causing mild damage to his legs, it's not to the same degree as Leg Day at the gym. Resistance training is a lot different from muscle usage just in the style of exercise performed, and while he may run into issues with soreness, he's not risking injury at all.
Old 05-21-2016, 06:19 PM   #183
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I actually have taken the past two days off due to scheduling. I got home way too late to do the running I normally would have done, since I'm too scared to run late at night, given the mosquitoes and cars. The aerobic/anaerobic alternates definitely help build up endurance but they vaporize my sugars and water really badly.

The most challenging and intensive exercise so far has been that 3-mile run, since I'm trying to aim for 18:00 and that is VERY hard. I've done fast 3-mile runs in the past - my personal best was 21:00 - but that was a combination of 6 mph jogging and 18-20 mph interval sprints.

A constant 12 mph is probably the most challenging thing I've ever done.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 05-22-2016, 06:08 PM   #184
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I damn near completed a marathon. I am a WRECK.

A big part of the problem was I underestimated this area. It's literally a jungle. It's dangerous. You have to watch out for predators, and for insects and the sun.

Back home in California, I did a super-long run that, it turns out, amounted to 12 miles round trip. For some reason in my head I remember it taking 4 hours that I ran consecutively, so my brain made the logical jump that 4 hours consecutive @ 6 mph = 24 miles run. Wrong.

I ran that in two hours. I mis-remembered it being 4 hours because I walked the first four or so times I did it. Which would take four hours when you halve the speed (walking speed = 3 mph).

So I believed I could run marathons, and dared to try and go to a bar that's 15.7 miles away, eat some food, and walk back. But my calculations were all off. It would take me 2+ hours to run that, and 4+ hours to walk back. Assuming I could even run the first leg of the 15.7 mile run.

Turns out I couldn't. I burned out after 7 miles, and when I tried to start again, I got cramps.

One of the major problems with a low calorie diet is you don't get enough water. Even if you drink it, because you're not eating enough food, you can't get water from there, either. The body takes water from everywhere thus to cool the skin during a run - from the kidneys, from your small intestine, from your blood plasma. The cramps happened because I got dehydrated, despite downing a quart of milk to begin with. Once the cramps hit, I lost all my speed, and had to walk just to avoid my legs turning into painful stilts.

I had to abort the journey at 10.8 miles - meaning by coming back home I went a total of 21.6. Very close. But the journey back was beyond terrifying, because not only was I tired, dehydrated, and hurting, but I was walking into the wind and it was hurling ticks from the long grass into the air, and they were landing on me.

I wasn't even on the grass - I was adjacent to it on the pavement. But I felt a bug under my knee and was terrified to see a gigantic "DOG TICK" was making ready to take a bloodmeal. I panicked - if you remove the tick while it's feeding, it'll regurgitate whatever infection it has into your bloodstream. And I know from the local epidemiology we have reservoirs of Borrelia and Babesia. I tried to remove it anyway and managed to knock it off - I don't think the tick had enough time to actually bite me, as I saw no blood, just some torn skin that turned red a little later.

Not long after that I looked at my socks and saw two more dog ticks trying to find exposed skin. I had a heck of a time removing them, and encountered no more ticks after that, but I was still traumatized the whole trip.

Did I mention the extreme sunburn?

I did this run for endurance, not as weight-loss method, but walking the entire distance I did is -1991 calories. And, I did not walk the entire way, I ran about 35% of the way.

I ate two chicken breasts with some other stuff that came out to be 700 calories. My caloric intake for the day is 1200. I'm not sure if I should go out and drink another protein shake or something, because losing this many calories is TOO fast.

My BMR is 1854. Over a week, that means I need 12978 calories to maintain weight. My weekly calorie intake is 7700 and it's about 3500 calories to a pound. So I lose 5278 based on diet alone, and since I'm losing 2.8 lbs per week, that means my exercise consumes another 4522. Honestly, that seems a bit much given I work out arms twice, legs twice, and run twice, I suspect my protein shakes have less calories than I give them (500). But still. Just from today alone, I lost an additional half pound. Losing 3.3 lbs per week is more than a little terrifying.

So, not sure if I should eat and undo this. I definitely want to sleep. I also want to wash my clothes to get rid of any hiding ticks - I checked 'em, but I'm scared.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 05-27-2016, 07:23 AM   #185
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I'm still at 183 lbs after a week. This is pretty typical as I remarked last year that I had some odd issues not losing weight after some time. So it looks like I have to kick up the intensity a bit. I had that 24 mile run tomorrow as well.

I've worked my way up to lifting (arms) once every two days, although it's tiring. I'll try to add some hill intervals each day. Those intervals are basically sprinting up a steep hill and then jogging down, 10 times.

Here's a Going to Heck joke: What do lolis and bodybuilders have in common?

Spoiler: show
They want bigger chests.

Visually, my arms look pretty good from my lay perspective. My legs are powerful. My chest is pathetic. Need to do more core too.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 05-27-2016, 07:34 AM   #186
Shuckle
Problematic Fave

2 possible sources of that weight.

1. you're gaining muscle weight
2. thyroid issues

Try taking pictures and see if your body fat is noticeably different.

Running works your core so if your core is still weak then you probably need to work on your running form ;o

Also ewwwww lolis. Gross.
Old 05-27-2016, 07:52 AM   #187
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I doubt it's gains. There's an overall loss going on so any gains are antagonistically affected by the calorie deficit. In reality, my efforts to push harder on anerobic and cardio are just means to keep the metabolism boosted. Most of my pull-ups gains for example are actually due to losing the weight, not necessarily strength increase in the upper arms.

It's most likely last week I had water weight that's not reflected now. There's a mass fluctuation of 3-5 lbs daily depending on water weight.

I eat low carbs, so I tend to have less water. Immediately after the run on Sunday I weighed 179-180 lbs, reflecting just how much water I lost.

I'm not running enough, since I can't find the time for it. Needs to be done early morning or late evening and I can't find the hours atm. But the holiday offers some opportunity for me.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 05-27-2016, 08:08 PM   #188
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I've figured out the problem. Overestimating my daily consumption.

BMR = 1854 (185 lbs)

Burger Day: 590 (protein shake) + x2 Extra Long Hamburgers (760) = 1350 calories
Turkey Day: 590 (protein shake) + Foot-long Turkey (650) = 1240 calories
Chicken Day: 590 (protein shake) + Foot-long Chicken (650) = 1240 calories
Chicken Burger Day: 590 (protein shake) + x2 Chicken Burgers (700) = 1290

Today is May 27, and I've rotated this almost 7 times.

34,550 - 50,058 = 15,508 = 4.4 lbs

Now, my BMR was higher when I was at 190. But I also exercise and work-out, so there's definitely some under-performance in there.

However, while I'm tempted to cut even further on this diet, I can function with this many calories. I'd prefer to kick up the exercise because more muscle and more need will put more stress and working full-time it's too hard for me to do that right now. I might do it towards the end a bit (cutting the meals in half, drinking more x2 protein shakes).

The GOOD news is, if I keep this up, I will continue to lose weight even until I'm at 165 lbs. The bad news is that will take almost a year to accomplish.

So I might just cut the food and amp up the exercise anyway. I can't really wait.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 05-28-2016, 06:11 PM   #189
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I did that run again.

I left at 8:45 and came back at 5:45. 22.5 miles. But it's weird. If you divide 22/8, you get 2.75 miles per hour average.

I ran good chunk of that marathon - about 8 miles, at 6 mph and 12 mph., then walked the rest, presumably at 3 mph. So I should have come in a LOT faster than that. Weird.

No ticks today. But something gross did happen. I sweated a lot, and because of the dead skin from being sunburned, the water diffused out of the live cells, but found themselves trapped under dead skin.

The result is my arms, legs and neck are scaly, creating a situation similar to a boil. Where my arms aren't shedding, it looks like it's bubbling.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 05-30-2016, 09:22 PM   #190
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

In an effort to cut calories further, I'm downgrading my whole milk down to some low fat variety.

Skim is useless, with very little nutritional value - it's basically water and sugar, a cousin to carbonated sodas. But as you progress up toward whole fat milk, the percentage of sugar decreases while fats increase (since fats displace both water and sugar in solution). Calories are higher since fats are more calorie dense than sugar, but it's metabolized more slowly, increases satiety, and there are health benefits to saturated fats.

If I were bodybuilding, whole fat all the way. But from a diet POV I think I'll take the lower fat variety. I was shocked at how little caloric value I'd be saving, though.

Whole milk (3.25%) - 150 calories/cup
Low fat (2%) - 130 calories/cup
Low fat (1%) - 110 calories/cup
Skim - 90 calories/cup

16 cups to a gallon. 2400 calories in whole, 2080 calories in 2%, 1760 in 1%, and 1440 in skim.

320 calories saved going from whole to 2%, in my mind, is pretty much nothing, and the satiety/nutritional factor makes whole more appealing at this point.

It takes me 5 days to polish off a gallon of milk - over a whole month, that's 1920 additional calories lost. For comparison, I burned that much in the 22 mile run/walk. It's nothing really significant, just a bit more than a half pound.

Going down to 1% though, that's 3840 - a full pound. That's much more appealing because I'm losing weight twice as fast using 1%. I think at this point the calorie loss outweighs the satiety factor.

That's what I went with. I'll alternate between 1%, mixing, and whole until I use up the last of my whole. June I'll try to cut calories further, and increase exercise intensity.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 06-04-2016, 03:32 PM   #191
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

So it's been a week since I said "I was at 183" and really it was more like 180, which I've stayed at since then. It's really frustrating, so I wonder if I have to cut calories even more. I might be able to.

I just did a halfsie run, 5.7 miles in 52 minutes (6.5 mph). I took it easy today so I could build up to double that (11.4 miles) and eventually be able to run 4 hours non-stop at that speed. It's not PFT speed, but it helps a lot with PFT speed.

However, I think this run was undone by the waitress at the restaurant I ate at giving me regular Pepsi instead of diet (even though I told them twice what I wanted). Screw ups like this are pretty common up North, in virtually everything. The low quality of service is intensely frustrating, and I was so parched I didn't notice the taste difference until I saw the lady fill it.

Regular soda is a softer taste akin to diluting a diet soda heavily. In fact, heavily diluted diet and regular aren't much different because diet has the stronger taste. So I taste it and like an idiot, rather than assume it was regular, I thought it was dilute.

Aside from today, a cheat day, I'm 100% on a bro diet now. It's protein shakes + chicken breast + ground beef from now on.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 06-08-2016, 07:41 PM   #192
Shuckle
Problematic Fave

This is pathetic for anyone who actually lifts actual weights, but I hit a new PR for deadlift last night! 175lb/80kg

I'm aiming to d-lift about double my body weight which will come out to around 500lb once all is said and done - so I'm only halfway there to being halfway there. But it's nice to be making progress!
Old 06-08-2016, 07:51 PM   #193
Crys
seems theres a case aclaw

Oh yo this is a thing cool.

Not sure if this goes here, but for the past few days I've been attempting to learn / practice parkour. I've managed a few wall runs, but it's been a struggle because I'm incredibly out of shape ha ha. Also having issues getting my other leg to actually move when I have the first on the wall, but when I do get it it's an incredibly satisfying feeling. Certainly feels like a workout.
Old 06-09-2016, 04:42 PM   #194
Samayouru
Pokemon Trainer

I'll be brutally honest - a few weeks ago I was almost 18 and a half stone (I don't know what that is in American weight), and for someone of my stature and gender, that's not a good thing at all. So I've begun dieting and getting more exercise. So far I've shed about seven or eight pounds, so that's a pretty good start. I also found out how to make a wonderful prawn salad with light, low-fat mayonnaise, so I'm feeling pretty good about that too!
Samayouru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 06:06 PM   #195
DaveTheFishGuy
Primordial Fishbeast

Send a message via Skype™ to DaveTheFishGuy
Just for reference, 18 and a half stone is about 260 pounds (14 pounds in a stone). Or just under 120kg, making you a bit lighter than me. But I would wager that I'm taller than you.

I really need to lose weight too, mind.
DaveTheFishGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 10:52 PM   #196
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I'm at 174-173 lbs now.

Don't know what happened. I was plateaued at 180 for weeks and even yesterday I weighed in at 180, but for a couple days I've been doing "cheat days", i.e. eating above my calorie restriction a bit, and it seems to have worked.

Working on 5 miles per day run. Really intimidated to lift because I have to 12 mph to my gym, and that's the toughest exercise I do. The combo of length + speed makes it tough.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 06-15-2016, 05:52 PM   #197
Amras.MG
Not sure if gone...

Congrats to everyone finding success!

Check in time?

I've been at 168-174 for about a month now, which is good since I'm not trying to lose weight. I've also upped my calories to around 1500-1800 a day, and have not gained any back. My theory is that my metabolism has finally started to catch up to my new standard-ish weight. Metabolism seems to putter out if you don't eat enough for a really long time. (maybe this happened to you, Dopple?)

Still in an awkward-ish inbetween zone when it comes to clothes. I'm a 31 waist (or 30 or 32 depending on the brand) - needless to say this is not a standard size that many stores carry. Small shirts are tight (with minor exceptions based on brand) and mediums are a bit airy. Whatevs. Skin still an issue, but I think it's glacially getting better? Maybe? Super hard for me to tell. Considered actually getting surgery for it, but I'm not all that concerned with physical attractiveness, so decided it wasn't worth it.

I don't really exercise that much since I avoid the department like crazy during the summer, but will be walking significantly more once I move into my new place since there is no convenient busline - so we'll see how that goes. Have thought about yoga, lifting, etc. but eh, don't really care about looking decent. Need a better reason.
Amras.MG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 05:08 AM   #198
McSweeney
Soul Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amras.MG View Post
but eh, don't really care about looking decent. Need a better reason.
But why? Appearance gets you everywhere in life.

Smoking Gary sez:
"Stay in school kidz"
McSweeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 09:34 PM   #199
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I had a lipid panel done. I'm disappointed with the results!

Triglycerides - 82 mg/dL
Total Cholesterol - 141 mg/dL
HDL - 45 mg/dL
LDL - 80 mg/dL

And just for kicks,

Glucose - 85 mg/dL

The numbers look good except the HDL. I've fallen from something like 60-75 HDL last year to almost terrible HDL numbers. The problem is, I know doctors would look at that HDL and shake their heads, but given the intensely depressed numbers of everything else, it's hard for me to logically agree with them. That's the source of the anguish. The raw numbers look bad but in context it looks really good.

My family has a history of diabetes and I have an extreme risk toward CHD. Every member of my family on both sides developed CHD. So these numbers are pleasing, and while the glucose isn't hypoglycemic it's pretty low for a fat guy.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 07-12-2016, 07:19 AM   #200
Samayouru
Pokemon Trainer

Well so far I've lost a stone (14 pounds) and I'm feeling pretty good about myself! I found a really good diet that really helps trim back weight and lowers the risk of developing diabetes so I'm probably going to have the odd week or two where I use this diet to help trim back weight, but I'm not going to deny myself some of the nicer things in life either!
Samayouru is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > The Misc