UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > The Misc

Old 06-27-2014, 01:52 PM   #2701
Mercutio
Banned

EDIT: OK I'm just terrible at BBCode today.
Mercutio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 02:11 PM   #2702
DaveTheFishGuy
Primordial Fishbeast

Send a message via Skype™ to DaveTheFishGuy
Space Raiders cost more than 10p and it makes me sad.
DaveTheFishGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 02:18 PM   #2703
Mercutio
Banned

What? Fuck my life.
Old 06-27-2014, 07:14 PM   #2704
Akanjão
Boulder Badge

Restaurant. Mexicans. Happy-happy guys. One whole day cooking and no sleep at all.
I hate the world cup. Totally.
Old 06-28-2014, 06:40 AM   #2705
SoS
Ducks gonna duck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercutio View Post
The fact that Freddos cost more than 25p is an outrage.
Rise up! Take to the streets! Destroy the conservatives! New world order! New world order!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Son_of_Shadows View Post
Because I look damn good in a dress.
Fizzy Bubbles Team
PASBL
Wild Future
SoS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 09:18 PM   #2706
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
I had a 15 mile marathon (not a real marathon) today and I'm exhausted.

I went to the zoo.

I wanted to pick some fights with the gorilla and lions, but they weren't interested.

The biggest event was when I went to see the elephants. There were two elephants, one noticeably larger than the other. The smaller elephant was obsessed with jerking off the bigger one; the larger elephant never got a full erection, but his tip did poke out of the foreskin and the smaller elephant was all over that with his trunk.

Constantly.

The parents at the scene were noticeably embarrassed, and I kept yelling "PG-13! PG-13!" even though that rating should be bumped. I had assumed that the smaller elephant was female but looking at my brochure it said it was an all-male elephant troop.

Oops!
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 02:10 PM   #2707
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
When your dad trades you for a camel

I was once told that in Afghanistan I am worth 100 goats and 4 donkeys. I'm not kidding.
My SO was once told she was worth all the camels in Egpyt. I am a lucky man, awwww yeah.
I am picturing one seriously smooth motherfucker dropping that line. "I would trade all the camels in Egypt just to see your face again."
Arab pick up lines are ridic dramatic and awesome. 'I would die a happy man if she sat on my grave,' 'I would slaughter anyone who says your name with no respect' etc. They're a passionate people!
Source

That sitting on my grave one is pretty awesome.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 01:21 AM   #2708
Talon87
時の彼方へ

So ... apparently in one of the earlier drafts of The Lion King's script, Scar and Zazu held a conversation which ultimately led Scar to want to find a queen. And then when Nala walks in on them ... well, you can see it here for yourself.

I think the most striking thing about this video is how much more of a pathetic joke Scar seems to be taken for by everybody. In the finished product, people resent Scar but they also fear him. Zazu is much more fidgety about his derogatory remarks having been overheard, Nala comes to Simba being all, "Simba! ;_; You gotta help us! Scar's ruining Pride Rock and we can't drive him out!", etc. But here in this video, Scar seems a lot more like ... how to put it ... he seems like a guy whom no one can take seriously. ^^; I mean, the part where Nala quite literally tells him, "You can't be serious " when he tries to touch her and then he dopily replies, "I've never been more serious. >3" Maybe it's the primitive storyboard art. Maybe it's the rough draft voice acting. But whatever it is, this Scar feels more like Michael from the American version of The Office and less like ... well, like the Scar we know from the final Lion King script. I mean ... even the musical number feels Vaudevillian, the impressiveness of the original "Be Prepared" number lost.

The second most interesting thing to me is that it shows how early Disney begins recording voices for their films. It is clear from this scene that the writers / animators had not thought far enough ahead yet for anyone to catch the obvious plot hole: you can't have Nala be a teenager/young adult already (as she is animated) but at the same time expect us to believe that Scar hadn't invited the hyenas onto Pride Rock until then. The final product glosses over a lot of this courtesy of how we meet Timon and Pumbaa (and how time skips forward during the "Hakuna Matata" musical number) so that by the time we return to Pride Rock we've already got a pridelands in ruin and hyenas everywhere. But yeah ... it's interesting to see how the animators were thinking, "Well clearly she's an adult by the time this scene happens! ... Right? " whereas the writers would've obviously been like, "Uhh, no? Scar isn't gonna keep the hyenas in the elephant graveyard for the next several years. He's going to give them their promised rewards before they feel cheated and betray him. As their betrayal is kinda sorta the point of his downfall at the end of the film, no? So if this scene is happening around the same time that Scar invites the hyenas to Pride Rock, then clearly Nala would still have to be as young as Simba was when he met Timon and ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh shit. " lolol
Old 07-03-2014, 04:32 AM   #2709
Mercutio
Banned

Yeah if you watch the stage show he does try and get in her pants, based on the original script. It's pretty weird.
Old 07-03-2014, 01:46 PM   #2710
Shuckle
Problematic Fave

WHAT IS THIS IMAGE CALLED

I always have trouble finding it again but it brings me joy to use it in a relevant context.
Old 07-03-2014, 01:53 PM   #2711
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I don't know its name, but I learned yesterday that the woman in the picture is distraught over the picture's repeated use (understandable) and has filed a $500 million lawsuit against Flickr or Instagram or whichever site it was that she originally uploaded the picture to (leeeeeeeeess understandable ^^; ), thus Streisand Effect-ing herself. Figured I would pass that along in case it informs your decision to use the picture more, less, or as much as before.
Old 07-03-2014, 02:25 PM   #2712
Mercutio
Banned

Yes Stephen Merchant.
Old 07-03-2014, 04:39 PM   #2713
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

http://screamer.deadspin.com/the-rea...m-i-1599068912

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercutio View Post
The sad part is, I didn't find his accent convincing at all at first, but after hearing it the second time I couldn't tell him apart from my neighbours.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 07-05-2014, 12:52 AM   #2714
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Apparently in the now non-canon Star Wars Expanded Universe, the Jedi had an official symbol representing The Force:

Spoiler: show

I shouldn't have to say it, Lucas, but that's actually the Triforce.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 07-05-2014, 02:21 AM   #2715
Sneaze
Mrow?

At first thought... Wow. Beyond that, why would you have the symbol for something that has two sides needing to be in constant balance as several triangles?

Daisy wins at life for making this Battle Cut
Sneaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 04:54 AM   #2716
Mercutio
Banned

Yeah but in the always was non canon EU Lando makes battle droids that trash talk so it balances out.
Old 07-05-2014, 08:23 AM   #2717
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneezey12 View Post
At first thought... Wow. Beyond that, why would you have the symbol for something that has two sides needing to be in constant balance as several triangles?
EU version of "The Force" from what I read is different from the movie canon. In the movies, I believe, it's a contrast of earthly emotion (the dark side) and personal detachment from the material to initiate moksha (the light side). This created a bit of a question where the dark side isn't evil, it is clearly the yang component to the yin that makes for a complete human experience and fits in with the so called "balance" to the Force. So, why does completely eliminating the Sith and promoting disinterest in the present somehow restore "balance" to the Force?

According to the wiki, though, it's refined so that the Force is divided into 4 quadrants, hence the four triangles.

But still, it's a 'clever' move. Picking a symbol to represent The Force that is already associated with a "force" among most audiences.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 07-05-2014, 09:54 AM   #2718
OkikuMew
Droppin' CDs and beats

*le facepalm* Wow, really? They could've done their research a little bit better...

To be fair, I know that Jedis with the force is closely related to samurais with Japan ("jedi" likely comes from the japanese word "jidaigeki"), and the "Triforce" is based on the emblem/mon of the Hojo Clan... but geez, shoudn't that take more research to find something as resent and known (although admittedly not known to the general public) as the Triforce in Zelda? ^^;

Art || FB || WF || Tumblr
OkikuMew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 04:08 PM   #2719
Sneaze
Mrow?

Yeah Star Wars was very heavily based off of works by Akira Kurosawa, predominately The Hidden Fortress.

Daisy wins at life for making this Battle Cut
Sneaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 06:36 PM   #2720
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

So, I'm sure you all heard about the latest V-Jump leak that Misty will be returning to the main cast for Pokemon XY as (presumably) a love rival. What Nintendo failed to mention, however, is that in her time away from the camera, she...

Spoiler: show

...started lifting.

あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 07-06-2014, 01:05 AM   #2721
Tyranidos
beebooboobopbooboobop

Send a message via AIM to Tyranidos Send a message via MSN to Tyranidos
Get Mario Karted.
Old 07-06-2014, 11:31 AM   #2722
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Quote:
Man, it's frustrating as hell when you are trying to convey a word you don't know in a foreign language. Once I was trying to convey an encounter I had with an owl in Spanish and the closest I could do was describe it as "the big pigeon of the night".
Pigeon of the night sounds way better.

Búho

Or La Paloma de la Noche?
"That sounds awesome! " I said.

Quote:
Since "paloma" is also slang for "dick," this sounds like the nickname of a serial rapist.
"THAT'S TERRIBLE! XD" I said.

Source
Old 07-06-2014, 11:38 AM   #2723
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Too bad you didn't post that last week, I would have tried to talk to the zoo owls in Spanish.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 07-06-2014, 10:43 PM   #2724
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Everyone remember how "The Octomom", that Iraqi lady who had eight kids at once via in-vitro fertilization, but was on welfare and had like no way to raise money to take care of them?

Well, life found a way...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
In Summer 2012, Suleman appeared in the adult film Octomom Home Alone produced by Wicked Pictures. The film is solely of Nadya Suleman in solo scenes with the aid of sex toys; there are no male actors. The film was released on June 20, 2012. In December 2012, Home Alone received four AVN Award nominations, and won for Best Celebrity Video.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 07-09-2014, 01:49 AM   #2725
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Click the picture for the full details. The full, hilarious details.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > The Misc