UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > Independent Forums > Fizzy Bubbles > FB Time Out > Hall of Records

Closed Thread

Old 09-30-2020, 07:37 PM   #1
Sandaa
Volcano Badge

Bulbasaur Pumpkasaur's Perplexing Patch

Pumpkasaur’s Perplexing Patch

A spine-tingling autumn wind howled through the air. The sky tinged purple as the moon pierced through the clouds. Pollen clouded the atmosphere like a dense fog. The Haunted Mansion stood both as magnificent and eerie as ever, but years of neglect had caused the landscaping to run wild across the premises as ivy shrouded the building like a cage. However, despite no one having dared step foot inside the structure in years, rumors swirled that something strange was happening beyond the once picturesque gardens. Something sinister.

The faint caw of a Murkrow could be heard in the distance from its perch in the Statue Garden while a few Pumpkaboo were spotted lingering around the entrance of the Maze of Shrubbery. They seemed on edge however, an unnatural occurrence in their natural habitat. As the wind howled again, one curious passerby who dared follow up on the creepy rumors skulked in the shadows. It was a man dressed in a white lab coat, curly hair messed by the wind and thick glasses framed his face. Once the gust died down, the man cupped his hands to his ears. It was barely audible, but he heard something. “Pump…ka… pump…ka…pump…ka…”

Swallowing his fear, the man crept forward into the gardens, a massive shadow cast by the imposing mansion making it hard to see. It was a thorny path, quite literally as vines snaked across the ground, but he could contain his curiosity no longer. The further he went, the closer he got to the sounds of the chanting. Once he came to the edge of the gardens, the man came to a halt. He hastily fumbled through his satchel and retrieved a camera. As he peered into the clearing before him, he focused his camera. Once the picture became clear in the viewfinder, he let out an audible gasp. “Pumpkaaa…” a cluster of voices growled behind him, causing him to drop the camera as he jumped. Vines thrashed through the air furiously as the man turned tail and ran out of fear for his safety.

Days later, a television program came on the air, titled ‘The Phenomena of Speciation: Uncovering Fizzytopia’s Hidden Cryptids.’ An energetic host sat in her chair as she presented the show. When it was time to introduce her guest, the mousy man nervously appeared on camera, adjusting his glasses. “Greetings,” he acknowledged the host quietly while taking peeks into the camera. The host smiled and encouraged him, “Now Professor Palm, you’ve told me you study variations in species of Pokemon that appear in different regions around the world? Would you kindly share with the audience you findings?”

Professor Palm nodded solemnly and cleared his throat. “Well, recently I followed up on a rumor about a secret ritual going on behind the Haunted Mansion…” “Some kind of cult worship?!” the host interjected, “This isn’t that kind of show, you know.” Professor Palm smiled and shook his head. “Let me clarify; a Pokemon ritual of sorts. Pumpkasaur have been spotted migrating to the area.” The host looked surprised. “Pumpkasaur? You mean that Bulbasaur hybrid that has only ever been observed once before?” The smile on Professor Palm’s face grew wider as he seemed to gain some confidence. “Exactly. But it’s not just a hybrid; it’s so much more. The reason why these species haven’t been observed in the wild more is because they are highly specialized to the environment they inhabit. You can’t just find one anywhere, because the conditions have to be exactly right. On the last full moon before the first frost of the season, the Pumpkasaur gather to pollinate. They are highly sensitive and will only congregate when those conditions are the most ideal.”

The TV host seemed genuinely interested as Professor Palm described his findings. “Were you able to record this gathering at all?” she asked excitedly. Professor Palm’s demeanor suddenly stiffened as his smile faced. “Yes and no… I caught them on camera as they were gathering around something larger… much larger… I was spotted and was chased away, losing my camera in the process.” The TV host’s enthusiasm suddenly began to fade as well, realizing that her ratings were going to plummet with Professor Palm’s lack of evidence. “Mmm…hmm… well, on the Hellen Show, we like to back up our facts with tangible evidence,” she added dismissively before turning to the camera and regaining her enthusiasm. “I’m afraid that’s all the time we have for Professor Palm, but thank you for coming! Coming up next, we have-” “I’m not lying, Hellen! I swear!” Professor Palm frantically interjected as the camera turned away from him. “I can prove it! I just need some Pokemon trainers to support me! Please! At the peak of the lunar cycle, meet me at the Haunted Mansio-” Professor Palm was cut off as the show went to a commercial break.

Later that week, Professor Palm was back at the Haunted Mansion as he pulled his lab coat around him for warmth. The weather conditions were largely the same as his previous excursion here. He was nervous, unsure if anyone had actually heard his message, but also believed in him. His research was at stake here, and he quickly paced back and forth for a few minutes until he mustered up his courage and turned to face the task alone. Leaves crunched on the ground behind him, causing Professor Palm to jump in fright. He whirled around to see who has snuck up behind him, but instantly relaxed as he spotted a couple of Pokemon trainers approaching the mansion.

“Phew! You guys sure scared me… thank you for coming,” he greeted them as the tension left his body. “You came in the nick of time; I was about to go back in there by myself! Come, I’ll show you where the Pumpkasaur are gathering. Be very quiet though- we don’t want to spook them!” Professor Palm took the trainers down the shadowy garden path up to the edge of the edge of the property where the foliage was densely overgrown. However, a massive wall of vines blocked the path completely. The professor’s old camera was still there, but it looked badly damaged as if it had been stomped on. “Oh no, they must have created a barrier to keep us out.” Some rustling could be heard in the distance, causing Professor Palm to put a finger to his lips. The faint echo of “Pumpkaa” could be heard from the other side of the vines.

“I think that some of you might be able to slip through the vines and scout things out, but the rest of us are going to have to split up and find another way around. Fortunately I know that the other side of the Maze of Shrubbery ends up in the same spot,” Professor Palm whispered as he took out a couple of sketch books from his satchel and some pencils. “I don’t think they take too kindly to cameras, so try your best to sketch what you see. The rest of us will meet you around the back, follow me!”

Professor Palm brought the remaining trainers to the entrance of the Maze of Shrubbery, an intimidating wall of impenetrable hedges, overgrown with roots and vines. Professor Palm eagerly entered the ominous garden as the trainers shuffled in behind him. “Don’t worry, I know the way. We just have to make sure we don’t get separated and all will be…” he said as he turned a corner before looking back to notice that no one was behind him. There was certainly something strange going on here as the garden was famous for playing with people’s perception of direction.

Meanwhile, those who remained at the barrier of vines attempted to quietly slip through the unforgiving underbrush and lay their eyes upon the clearing on the other side. A steep cliff overlooked an open meadow. Pollen clouded the air, giving the moonlight a bright purple tint. A massive pumpkin patch spread across the valley, but upon closer inspection, it was actually a swarm of Pumpkasaur. In the middle of the meadow rested a gargantuan hollowed-out pumpkin. Its stem connected to a tangle of vines and branches that pointed towards the sky. The Pumpkasaur continued their chanting, and soon enough, the ground started to shake. With a loud thump, something massive emerged from within the pumpkin. It bellowed a booming “SAAAUURRRR!!!” as the Pumpkasaur fell silent and slowly began to glow and evolve into something else…

Spoiler: show

~HAPPY FIZZYWEEN~
  • This event is an ART CONTEST but for those who are unable to participate, fear not. This event has been divided into two sections, so that those who are unable to enter the art contest may still participate. The winner as well as runners-up will receive a grand prize and consolation prizes respectively, but other than that, everyone will receive the same reward regardless of which path you take.
  • MAZE RULES: As you enter the maze, you will receive short, rapid-fire updates about various directions and forks in the road, and you will respond describing your choice as you attempt to make your way through the maze.
    - RPing your responses is encouraged, but not required.
    - You may collect Bond for RP responses of 250 words or greater, but money may not be claimed.
    - This is not a race or anything like that; just try your best to get to the end!
    - You have until October 31st to make it through the maze, when rewards will be given out!
  • ART CONTEST RULES: As you manage to squeeze through the barrier of vines and get a better look at what the Pumpkasaur are becoming, it’s time for you to capture what you see so that you can report it back to Professor Palm later.
    - The goal of this contest is to imagine what the evolutionary stages of Pumpkasaur will look like.
    - These evolutions will be considered Fizzytopian regional variants, so they must follow the basic anatomy of their counterparts Ivysaur and Venusaur.
    - Like Pumpkasaur, these evolutions will not have any changes to their level-up moveset. If you wish to change their evolutionary method that is fine, but they will evolve at lv.16 and lv.32 otherwise.
    - Pumpkasaur’s evolutions may be one of the following type combinations: Grass/Poison, Grass/Ghost, or Grass/Dark.
    - Feel free to come up with your own name for Pumpkasaur’s evolutions!
    - Artwork submitted must be your own creations or edits; any medium is allowed as long as it is your own work!
    - The deadline to submit your artwork is the end of Saturday, October 24th, to which community voting will commence.
    - The final results as well as prizes will be announced on October 31st!
Special thanks to Emp for the animated panorama and Missingno. Master for the Pumpkasaur image!
Old 09-30-2020, 07:37 PM   #2
Sandaa
Volcano Badge

Bulbasaur Pumpkasaur's Perplexing Patch

Contest Entrants:

Last edited by Sandaa; 10-24-2020 at 06:51 PM.
Old 09-30-2020, 08:34 PM   #3
Pearl's Perap
Ca-caw!

Loving the sound of all of this, time for spooky maze fun times with the latest addition to my squad

Many moons had passed since Zak had last visited the grounds of the Haunted Mansion with his Banette, Shane. During his last trip, Shane was just a baby Shuppet but he had found himself quite at home exploring the eerie locale. With that in mind, he decided it would be a good place for him to get to know one of his recent hatchlings; a Murkrow sired by his Taillow, Jaime.

Today, the man and his corvid companion found themselves arriving at the manor house with a mission in mind. Zak had recently seen a news report in which a one Professor Palm had claimed to have witnessed the evolution of the incredibly rare Pumpkasaur, a Pokémon native only to Fizzytopia. Despite the wonders this news held, the interviewer dismissed the man's claims due to him having no evidence. It did sound a bit suspicious but when the professor requested the help of Pokémon trainers, he could sense that this man believed what he was saying.

Upon arriving, the pair were quick to encounter the academic from the television. He continued to speak with such conviction of what he saw and it was quite clear that this was no con. As the professor led Zak, Murkrow and a host of other trainers who had come to offer their assistance, he spotted vines thicker than he had ever seen before, snaking here and there and strangling their surroundings. He even caught sight of the remains of Professor Palm's camera, the fragmented pieces littering the grass. Murkrow eyed this too, probably deliberating whether the twinkle coming from the broken glass was some sort of trinket.

With two options to assist set before him, Zak opted to leave the sketching to those more creatively adept and accompany the professor through the Maze of Shrubbery instead, setting foot into the heart of the unknown with his Murkrow hopping cheerfully alongside. As anticipated, the crow seemed more than happy with their spooky surroundings and the man smiled down at his new friend as the two pressed on, neither realising that they now found themselves alone within the tall hedges...
Old 09-30-2020, 09:44 PM   #4
TheKnightsFury
Volcano Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandaa View Post
[*] MAZE RULES: As you enter the maze, you will receive short, rapid-fire updates about various directions and forks in the road, and you will respond describing your choice as you attempt to make your way through the maze.
- You may collect Bond for RP responses of 250 words or greater, but money may not be claimed.
- This is not a race or anything like that; just try your best to get to the end!
- You have until October 31st to make it through the maze, when rewards will be given out!
Xander was beginning to think he'd made a big mistake. Sweat was already powering down his brow as he tried to keep pace with the rampaging beast. Pichu was getting a nice workout at least, the electric type zipping alongside him, easily keeping pace despite the vast difference in stride. Xander had hoped that having Dewpider provide Dracovish with a Water Bubble would help to control the strange fossil Pokemon, but it only seemed to make things worse. Dracovish charged wildly into the maze, Dewpider still attached to its back, leaving Xander to chase after it. He'd hoped to plan out his path through the maze, but it seemed that plan was out the window entirely.

There was no telling what awaited them within The Maze of Shubbery. While others seemed to be going off to investigate the Pumpkasaur, he was stuck trying to rein in his wild Dracovish, before they got so lost that they'd be trapped within the maze for eternity. "Dracovish stop!" Xander shouted, hoping to bring the abomination to a stop. "Arceus damn it, Pichu block the path with an Electroweb." The electric type leapt into the air, firing an electrical web ahead of the water/dragon type. It came to a skidding halt, mere inches from the electrified web. "Easy now big fella, I know you're excited but you can't just go running off like that. Know, where the hell are we and how do we get out of here?" Dracovish had managed to get them well and truly lost. Finding their way out wasn't going to be an easy task...

Old 09-30-2020, 11:29 PM   #5
SpinyShell
Cascade Badge

Quote:
[*] ART CONTEST RULES: As you manage to squeeze through the barrier of vines and get a better look at what the Pumpkasaur are becoming, it’s time for you to capture what you see so that you can report it back to Professor Palm later.
- The goal of this contest is to imagine what the evolutionary stages of Pumpkasaur will look like.
- These evolutions will be considered Fizzytopian regional variants, so they must follow the basic anatomy of their counterparts Ivysaur and Venusaur.
- Like Pumpkasaur, these evolutions will not have any changes to their level-up moveset. If you wish to change their evolutionary method that is fine, but they will evolve at lv.16 and lv.32 otherwise.
- Pumpkasaur’s evolutions may be one of the following type combinations: Grass/Poison, Grass/Ghost, or Grass/Dark.
- Feel free to come up with your own name for Pumpkasaur’s evolutions!
- Artwork submitted must be your own creations or edits; any medium is allowed as long as it is your own work!
- The deadline to submit your artwork is the end of Saturday, October 24th, to which community voting will commence.
- The final results as well as prizes will be announced on October 31st!
[/list]

Sil squeezed through the vines, feeling their thorns scape against her limbs. Grimacing with pain, she pushed through until, finally, she came to a cliff overlooking a meadow. Dotted all across the meadow were pumpkins, at least that’s what Sil thought, with one huge hollowed gourd in the center. Then, as she studied them, she realized they were Pumpkasaur.

THUMP! THUMP! THUMP!

Something was emerging from the pumpkin in the center.

Sil gasped as she saw a rather large Venasuar--no, a Pumpka-Venusaur!--walk out of the gigantic pumpkin. Unlike Kantonian Venusaur, this one had the grey skin of a Pumpkasaur with grey spots dotted across its thick skin, which looked even wartier than a normal Venusaur’s. Leaves sprouted from the pumpkin on its back, which had fully split open, resembling flower petals that curved upward. At the center was a tall candle, from which violet flames flickered. However, these flames appeared to be made of ectoplasm, rather than plasma--it seemed this Pokemon was Grass/Ghost rather than Grass/Poison. The top part of the pumpkin rested neatly on the Pumpka-Venusaur’s head, the stem looking like a Rapidash’s horn. The eyes of the Pumpka-Venusaur were like the red slits of the Pumpkasaur, but then began to glow yellow. It seemed that the Pumpka-Venusaur was so overwhelmed with energy from beyond the veil that it leaked from its eyes.

With a rolling grumble, the Pumpka-Venusaur stamped its feet and the Pumpkasaur began to evolve. Or, it seemed like they were evolving--perhaps the dark magic of some prankster Dark type was playing tricks on her. Perhaps it was all an illusion, even the Pumpka-Venusaur.

Irregardless, she whipped out a sheet of paper and began to hastily sketch as fast as she could. The second stage of Pumpkasaur looked almost like an Ivysaur, except with warty light grey skin similar to Pumpkasaur’s, with a few grey splotches as well. The pumpkin on its back had sprouted leaves and burst open at the top--though not to the degree of the Pumpka-Venusaur--ethereal purple flames flickering from the opening; it seemed this variant was Grass/Ghost rather than Grass/Poison. The top part of the pumpkin rested neatly on the evolution’s head. Its eyes were red like Pumpkasuar's, but also began to glow with yellow light like the Pumpka-Venusaur’s.

Once she was finished sketching, Sil hastily wrote down hypothetical names for the evolutions along with some other information.

Pumpkasaur --lvl. 16 at night--> Squashsaur (Grass/Ghost) --lvl. 32 at night--> Gourdasaur (Grass/Ghost)

Squashsaur: When their eyes glow yellow and the flame on their back burns brighter, it means that they are in contact with spirits from the afterlife.
Gourdasaur: The pumpkin on Squashsaur's back was so overwhelmed by the spirits that it burst open. The flames from Gourdasaur's candle do not produce heat and cannot burn.

She slowly backed out of the brush. It was time to report her findings.

The sketches (one is in color, the other is not). Note that the images are rather large, I was unable to shrink them down further--sorry. Imgur album link.

Last edited by SpinyShell; 10-01-2020 at 01:53 PM. Reason: Added some RP stuff
Old 10-01-2020, 12:33 AM   #6
Sandaa
Volcano Badge

Maze Entrance: (Pearl’s Perap, TheKnightsFury)
As you step foot into the Maze of Shrubbery, you experience a strange sensation that you can’t quite trust your sense of direction anymore. There are three paths to traverse; to the East, to the West, and to the North.
Old 10-01-2020, 12:59 AM   #7
TheKnightsFury
Volcano Badge

Quote:
As you step foot into the Maze of Shrubbery, you experience a strange sensation that you can’t quite trust your sense of direction anymore. There are three paths to traverse; to the East, to the West, and to the North.
It wasn't long until the wayward party came upon a split in the path. If Xander's senses were right, the had entered into the crossroads from the south, which meant they could either continue moving toward the north, or take a left and head west or a right and head east. This was all assuming his senses weren't completely thrown off by the strange sensation of the maze. A decision like this could only be solved in one way....

"Oi, you lot, cut it out!" While Xander had been busy getting his bearings, his Pokemon had split up. Dracovish wanted to continue trudging northward, while Dewpider had split off from the primordial fish beast and was urging them to take the western path. Pichu's cheeks sparked with electricity, the little mouse was determine to take the eastern path. "Guys there is only one way to fairly solve this, just be patient. Alright, how does it go again? Ah that's it...." Xander rose his right hand, pointing at Dewpider before he started to sing the rhyme his mother had taught him as a child.

"Eeny, meeny, miny moe, Catch a Incineroar by the toe. If he roars, let him go, Eeny, meeny, miny moe. Bellsprout you're out! Not because you're dirty, not because you're clean. Just because you sweet kissed the Kirlia behind the magazine!" His finger came to a stop on Pichu. "Well its settled then, to the east! Pichu cheered with delight, while Dracovish let out a primordial roar to express its disappointment. Dewpider merely scuttled over to Xander, climbing up his body to take its favourite position on his wrist. "No more sulking, we need to get a move on, I don't want to be here all night!"

Old 10-01-2020, 01:05 AM   #8
Sandaa
Volcano Badge

TheKnightsFury: You walk through the maze of shrubbery heading due east. However, after a few turns in the pathway, east becomes north, then east again before the trail u-turns a corner into… a dead end. It’s a short way back leading you to your previous location.

Old 10-01-2020, 01:13 AM   #9
myahoo
Soul Badge

Quote:
~HAPPY FIZZYWEEN~
  • MAZE RULES: As you enter the maze, you will receive short, rapid-fire updates about various directions and forks in the road, and you will respond describing your choice as you attempt to make your way through the maze.
Melissa peered up at the Haunted Mansion, pulling her jacket tighter around herself. "Why do I keep doing things like this?"

"Cyn da quil cynda," her starter said dryly.

She huffed out a laugh. "Yeah." Raising her voice, she called out for the other Pokémon who'd decided to accompany her. "C'mon, Spirit! We gotta find the professor!"

A hoot came from behind and above, making Melissa jump and spin around to see her Rowlet perched in a tree, looking amused. She took off, silent as an owl, and hooted again, leading the way to the professor's rendezvous point.

"At least she's enjoying herself," Melissa muttered, hurrying after Spirit, while Wildfire snickered at her.

The three of them met up with the professor and several other Trainers, most of whom Melissa recognized from various other Fizzytopian events and Raids, before being led along the professor's previous path. They hit a dead-end where the professor had been chased away and left part of the group there to sketch what they could see of the Pumpkasaur. The rest of them followed him to the Maze of Shrubbery and then, somehow, everyone promptly lost everyone else.

Melissa found herself standing alone somewhere inside the maze, her only companions the Pokémon she brought with her. "...I don't suppose you could fly up and guide us from there?"

Spirit hooted wryly. Wildfire winced at the thought.

"Fair." Melissa glanced around and then picked a direction at random. "Well, let's try this way and hope it leads...somewhere?"

Spirit shrugged and Wildfire muttered under his breath, but neither protested, so that way the trio went.
Old 10-01-2020, 01:17 AM   #10
TheKnightsFury
Volcano Badge

Quote:
TheKnightsFury: You walk through the maze of shrubbery heading due east. However, after a few turns in the pathway, east becomes north, then east again before the trail u-turns a corner into… a dead end. It’s a short way back leading you to your previous location.

This was turning out to be a real cardio workout. The maze seemed almost endless, bending, turning, it was almost impossible to work out which way they were heading. Finally they reached their destination, a dead end! "OH F***!" Xander spat, eliciting a hysterical reaction from Dracovish, he flopped his lobed fins in joy, he liked seeing his trainer frustrated. "Guess we're going back the way we came..." Dewpider glared up at him, if they'd gone west like the bell spider wanted, they wouldn't be in this position. The trek back was painful, but eventually they made it back to the crossroads.

"Alright so do we go west or north this time?" Last time it was a split decision since there was three of them, but with east eliminated, Pichu would have the deciding vote. The electric mouse was feeling the pressure though. Dewpider was flailing its little legs at him, while Dracovish just stared blankly, jaws wide open. Big, powerful, eat a Pichu in one bite jaws.....

Pichu quickly dashed over to stand with Dracovish, it was the safest option, for him at least. Dewpider was once again disappointed, although he had to admit that if he was in that position, he'd probably make the same choice. "Alright, so this time we head North, but if we hit another dead end, you both owe Dewpider an apology! They began their trek down the northern path, letting Dracovish lead the way. If anything dared to get in their way, they'd have to go through the big, scary fish beast!

Old 10-01-2020, 01:34 AM   #11
ChrisClark13
Cascade Badge

Quote:
MAZE RULES: As you enter the maze, you will receive short, rapid-fire updates about various directions and forks in the road, and you will respond describing your choice as you attempt to make your way through the maze.
Somehow, when Curtis had loudly asked all his Pokemon, "Who wants to go see the Pumpkasaurs?" he hadn't quite expected this turnout. Namely, that somehow only the more 'childlike' of his Pokemon would seem to actually be interested- with that interest only growing when he showed them all a picture of what the rare and elusive Pumpkasaur actually looked like!

So now, here he was stuck in a haunted maze with six frightened basic-stage Pokemon. Hopefully the spooky spirits of this place would be kind and let them all through unscathed and with a good story to tell their parents/more mature members of his team. After all, wasn't the holiday for this month about having fun and getting scared, but in a fun way?

Upon his shoulder, where his Ninetales herself once sat when she was a Vulpix, was her son- Jin the 'Alolapix'. Who was doing his best to bury himself into Curtis's hood, clearly overcome by the spookiness of the situation as he whined softly. Meanwhile his Buizel, Benny, had literally climbed down into Curtis's fursuit in fear as well- or maybe just in search of warmth considering that there was a chilly breeze in the air right now.

That left Helena, Mika, Alexander, and Sasha the Houndour, Poochyena, Riolu, and Litten, respectively, on the ground barking and mewing at eachother as they tried to figure out what was going on.

Alexander, the seemingly fearless little guy, was clearly in favor of charging ahead as he pointed down the path. Sasha wanted everyone to stop talking over each other. Mika was suggested that they should smell their way through, already sniffing around trying to catch a scent. While Helena simply wanted everyone to not split up- going so far as to keep Mika from wandering off.

Curtis sighed and snapped his fingers twice, "Guys, sit for a moment would you?" His training kicked in and all of them sat and looked at him.

Taking into account what they were just doing... Curtis came up with a plan, "Alright, Mika and Alexander, you're in the lead! Mika sniff a way out and Alexander look out for trouble! Sasha, you're up on my other shoulder, keep an eye out behind us. Jin, if you could do that do that'd be great- I know you're up to it, no matter now scared you are. And Helena, since you seem up to the job, you keep the others from wandering off you hear?"

"Now, give me a nod if you understood."

One by one, they all (save for Benny who seemed to be asleep) nodded.

Picking up Sasha and putting the Litten on his other shoulder, Curtis looked around- feeling much better about things now that he had a plan...
Old 10-01-2020, 05:43 AM   #12
Pearl's Perap
Ca-caw!

Quote:
Maze Entrance: (Pearl’s Perap)
It wasn't long at all before a familiar sense of dread started to kick in for Zak: they had found themselves lost within the Maze of Shrubbery almost as soon as they had entered. This wasn't helped by the fact that they had become separated from the very man they were here to help. Palm didn't seem too concerned about the maze, though; surely the man and his Murkrow would turn a corner and find their guide at some point.

"Murkrow, I want you to keep your wits about you, the grounds of this mansion may look idyllic but they don't take too kindly to unwanted guests."

Nodding up at his new trainer, the crow flew ahead slightly, scoping out their strange surroundings. Though he had only recently hatched, he was an inquisitive critter and found himself enchanted by the grounds of the Haunted Mansion. This made Zak smile as he sped up to catch up with the Darkness Pokémon who had recently come to a halt, tilting his head from one side to another in a confused manner. The path before them wasn't as clear cut as the one they had been following: they had the choice of three paths from this junction, one each to the East and the West and a third path heading off towards the North of the maze.

"Alright, we can't get any more lost than we are - let's press on and follow the path to the West. Stay close, though, little lad."

Old 10-01-2020, 09:37 AM   #13
CrazyCreeperKid
Rainbow Badge

Here are my entries, Spectresaur and Horrosaur. Grass/Ghost types. Evolves the same way, but Spectresaur can only be evolved into Horrosaur in the fall.

Spectresaur's spectral energy that grew from its Pumpkasaur stage has escaped from the bulb, breaking out. Its pupils have colored out, as its no longer in control - the ghost inside the bulb is.

Horrosaur has let the ghost inside grow to horrific sizes, causing two more pumpkins to sprout from the sides to try and contain it.

art (sorry for garbage quality)

Old 10-01-2020, 11:24 AM   #14
Emp
Volcano Badge

Quote:
[*] MAZE RULES: As you enter the maze, you will receive short, rapid-fire updates about various directions and forks in the road, and you will respond describing your choice as you attempt to make your way through the maze.
Emp patted down his pockets, went as far as spilling the entire contents of his backpack. Nothing, nada. The dope had left his drawing tablet and camcorder back at the trainer hostel, equipment placed on his bedside for the express purpose of remembering. It had taken him hours to make it out to the unkempt grounds of the Haunted Mansion on memory alone, the eerie estate having disappeared off the maps a decade ago. It would serve nothing to turn back now, the moon would only hold its position for so long. Sure he could observe the evolutionary ritual empty handed, but he’d be kicking himself all the while – adding nothing but another crazy eyewitness account to the event. While the trainer had inadvertently made a name for himself in the science world, discovering two unique species of Pokemon on his travels, it looked like he wouldn’t be adding a third one to that record – not today at least.

Feeling somewhat deflated, he decided a mooch around the familiar grounds might be his best shot at salvaging the wasted night. The ancient wrought-iron gates emitted a low groan as he wrestled against their rusted joints, breaking through to a garden possibly more unkempt than before. The trails were choked in weeds and creepers to a point they were unpassable, the mansion at the other end moss-laden and weathered. The moonlight glistened against its fixtures, uncovering a few stray Pokemon hiding between the rafters. Gnarled trees hunched over most of the expanse, plunging the rest in shadow. The place echoed with painful grief and the emptiness of heartfelt loss; the story went that the estate was gutted of its eccentric inhabitants a century ago, the family falling victim to a hysteric mob. Even in its continued collapse however, the mansion felt anything but vacant.

The trespasser decided it best to give the spooky structure wide berth, following the barbed fence down to its Maze of Shrubbery. It was here more than a decade ago that he ventured with Ventress – just a Lileep at the time, unruly in her recent resurrection. They had grown immeasurably since then, the opportunity to share a trip down memory lane with his prehistoric poke too much to resist. With a rummage of his pockets he brandished a Pumpkin and Heal Ball, the aptness of the former not lost on the trainer. He lobbed them ahead allowing a pair of juxtaposed grass-types to enter the scene. Ventress craned her neck high as she scanned the gardens, the loamy soil and gust of pheromones coming with a ring of familiarity; Loom bobbed to Emp’s shoulder with an affectionate coo, the Morelull’s bioluminescence lighting the way as they trudged off into the unknown.

FB PASBL TL 4

26-4-0 KO74 TP208
B Ref SP 2

Last edited by Emp; 10-01-2020 at 05:47 PM.
Old 10-01-2020, 12:15 PM   #15
Sandaa
Volcano Badge

TheKnightsFury: You head north from the maze’s entrance as the path quickly turns east and then north again. After a short walk, you come up on another split in the path…

Pearl’s Perap: You head west from the entrance, immediately turning north around a corner into a… dead end. It takes no time at all to return to your original position.

Maze Entrance: (Pearl’s Perap, myahoo, ChrisClark13, Emp)
Spooky Tree: (TheKnightsFury)
As you enter the clearing, you are greeted by a rather sinister looking tree. Your options are East, West, or South back the way you came. It almost feels as if the tree is watching you, waiting to see your decision.
Old 10-01-2020, 01:28 PM   #16
Pearl's Perap
Ca-caw!

Quote:
Pearl’s Perap: You head west from the entrance, immediately turning north around a corner into a… dead end. It takes no time at all to return to your original position.

Maze Entrance: (Pearl’s Perap)
Pressing on to the West, it wasn't long at all before the Murkrow who was still confidently leading the way for his new trainer stopped in his tracks once more. After a swift turn towards the North from their chosen path, Zak and the Darkness Pokémon were met with a dead end and quickly realised they would need to retrace their steps.

Though the man wasn't always the biggest fan of mazes, his newly acquired Murkrow seemed to be unfazed by their need to double back as he got the chance to look at the way they had just come with a fresh, reversed view. This eased the man as he watched the Murkrow hopping along the path once again, his annoyance at their situation subsiding.

Finding themselves back where they had started, Zak noticed a man stood at the same crossroads he had found himself with his Murkrow mere moments before. At a first glance, Zak assumed he had come upon Professor Palm once again but the face he was greeted with was different and far more familiar.

"Well, what do you know - if it isn't my old friend Emp." The man hadn't seen Emphyr Costeau in a good few years but he recognised him in a heartbeat. Though the two hadn't seen each other in a while, they each shared fond memories of the adventures of their youth and the time they spent exploring the primordial Volcanic Mountain region. Emp wasn't alone in the Maze of Shrubbery either, joined by his Cradily and a newly hatched Morelull, both of which were positively captivating to the curious young Murkrow.

"I take it as you're here helping that Palm dude out? We've just been West and found ourselves having to head back here so I'd like to follow the Northern path now and see where that takes us. We could buddy up like old times as well if you like?"
Old 10-01-2020, 01:29 PM   #17
King Ghidorah
Rainbow Badge

Hugo approached the Maze of Shrubbery with a bit of trepidation. Each year around Halloween, the land of Fizzy Bubbles always seemed to have some odd goings-on, and this year was no different.

“A labyrinth,” Hugo said, to no one in particular, “fantastic. Well, it can’t be any worse than that Halloween a few years back when they turned Rhyhorn orange…”

Hugo stopped in his tracks after a few paces, startled.

“…or could it?!”

No matter; he shrugged and headed in toward the maze.

“But maybe I can use a bit a help. Someone smart. Someone who can figure out complex puzzles.”

He pulled a Pokeball from his belt and released Oranguru to the ground next to him; the wise ape quickly taking in her surroundings and quickly sketching a rudimentary maze in the dirt in front of her, looking to Hugo for confirmation.

“Yeah, it’s a maze. We’ve got to find our way through. This seems like it’s right up your alley, right? You love these things.”

The ape shrugged as if to say “yeah, sure, why not?”, fanning herself with her ever-present bundle of leaves. Oranguru looked around a bit, and started slowly walking deeper into the maze, Hugo following behind her.

“Sure, let’s just see what this is all about, I guess. Why not? It’s Halloween! OOOOOH SO SPOOOOOOKY!”

Oranguru stopped and looked back at Hugo; “really?” her expression read. Hugo flushed with embarrassment.

“Yeah, uh…sorry about that. Let’s uh…let’s keep going.”

And so they kept moving.
Old 10-01-2020, 01:55 PM   #18
Lil'twick
Insanity

Send a message via Skype™ to Lil'twick
Alrighty, here's my entry into the contest for our Fizzytopian Bulbasaur Evos! Spent about two hours total with design, sketching, and coloring. Bit of a rush job I know ^^;

First of all is Fizzytopian Ivysaur. For clarity sakes, both Ivysaur and Venusaur are Grass/Ghosts.

When originally approaching the challenge, I had three ideas in mind. First, incorporate pumpkin vines in some way. THe leaves are really pretty, and they are a core part of the pumpkin. Second, I wanted to keep the Jack-o-Lanturn theme intact, and have it start to corrupt the line in some way. For Pumpkasaur, it simple starts out as its plant, but as it evolves the spirit leaves the plant and goes after main body. You can start to see the spirit starting to take over Ivysaur's head. And lastly, I wanted to incorporate different kinds of Pumpkins. For Ivysaur, I went with the Fairytale Pumpkin. The greens and oranges fit well into the grass typing while keeping with the theme.

And now for Venusaur. I hope the head isn't too out of line here. I will redesing if needed.

So, for Venusaur, I really wanted to incorporate my favorite pumpkin, the Baby Boo Pumpkin. I just love these white pumpkins, and at the same time I was also inspired by the Legend of Cinderella. It could easily be said that in the Arcane Realm, the Legend of Cinderella was told with a Fizzytopian Venusaur being used instead of a normal pumpkin carriage to take Cinderella to the ball. Obviously the Pumpkin is purely cosmetic and can't be used, but those legends shaped the designed choice to make it look like a carriage fit for a princess. As for the head, the jack o lanturn spirit has fully taken over, but it is in the best interest of protecting the carriage on its back. I really hope my creative liberties haven't overstepped, and that people enjoy this potential take! Happy All Hallow's Eve!

I fill my lungs with everything
You want someone that I can't be
You say it's insanity, but
I say that's my life

Fizzy Bubbles

Last edited by Lil'twick; 10-01-2020 at 02:01 PM.
Old 10-01-2020, 02:08 PM   #19
sixdragons_in_atrenchcoat
Thunder Badge

Quote:

Cy absentmindedly pet Wurmple as he approached the maze. He wasn't much of an artist - that was Dracen's forte - but a maze was a puzzle, and he loved puzzles. Staring it down was another matter altogether, however. The maze loomed over him, vines stretching far over his head, and shadows crept along the ground, too long and dark to be natural in the moonlight. He felt a slithering feeling as he stepped into the shadows. Wurmple gave a small shudder and Cy felt tempted to do the same. He felt much less confident in the face of this death trap straight out of a horror film. He took a deep breath and stepped into the maze, wondering if he'd come back out alive.

This will certainly be an experiment for the ages, one way or the other... Wurmple thought grimly.

Cy, Bug Trainer

FB Profile
Old 10-01-2020, 03:22 PM   #20
Emp
Volcano Badge

Quote:
Maze Entrance: (Pearl’s Perap, myahoo, ChrisClark13, Emp)
The maze was shabby twisting hedgerows, all of them twice as tall as Emp. Following the shadowy shrubbery as far as his eyes could muster, flashes of his last bid to reach its centre played on in his mind like a movie reel – a failure on all accounts. This time it would be different, ahead were more hours of moonlight than he could have hoped for, not to mention he would have his trusty nightlight Illuminating the way. Throwing caution to the wind, the fearsome throuple traded the linearity of the unkempt garden for a path of infinite outcomes. They were swallowed whole by its wild walls from there, Loom in the lead with her caps flickering like tiny homing beacons. Ventress fell to the back, her sluggish steps barely audible above the howling wind. While at ease with his company, he couldn’t help shaking the feeling he was being watched...

Soon enough they reached a fork in the road, choiced between west, north and east. The trainer was inclined to make a left, until the Morelull went to veer west – the Cradily was set on the path of least resistance waddling straight ahead. They had reached an impasse, bickering in their own tongues and no closer to a resolution. It looked like they wouldn’t need one, a rustle from the west interrupting their squabble and sending them on high alert. It was a familiar face that emerged from the shadow, forcing Emp to do a double take – not sure if the maze had manifested the old friend as a sort of cruel trick. He wouldn’t let such suspicions fester, embracing Zak in a hug giving their Pokemon reason to stand down and exchange pleasantries of their own.

“Yours is a face I thought I would never see again.” Emp grinned, goosebumps subsiding along with his fear, “Of course I’d be happy to buddy up – if we could make it out of that prehistoric pandemonium alive then I’m sure making it through this maze will be a piece of cake!” The trainer fell behind Zak as they branched North, the Murkrow coming to roost on Cradily when not fluttering inquisitively around Morelull. Emp did his best to ignore the air of smugness emanating from the Pangaean plant as her choice of direction was proven right all along.

FB PASBL TL 4

26-4-0 KO74 TP208
B Ref SP 2

Last edited by Emp; 10-01-2020 at 05:26 PM.
Old 10-01-2020, 03:39 PM   #21
Connor
Flashbacker

Quote:
MAZE RULES: As you enter the maze, you will receive short, rapid-fire updates about various directions and forks in the road, and you will respond describing your choice as you attempt to make your way through the maze.

Sweeney looked around his surroundings. He was aghast. When it was announced that a mysterious maze had been discovered, he did everything within his power to ensure certain members of his team heard nothing. Marco and Julia topped that list, but to keep the news from Joss and Cain was especially trying, the two Flying types always eager to instigate the major troublemakers just to satiate their own amusement. Despite this, Sweeney was lost. Completely and utterly. No matter which way he turned, the hedges all merged into one. Normally endowed with an above average sense of direction, The Bartender found himself figuratively at sea.

Admitting momentary defeat, Sweeney decides to call upon assistance. Reaching into his pack, he releases Itsy and Bitsy, the pair cocking their heads inquisitively as they relish in the fresh air. They were newer additions to the squad, and were still largely insulated from the absurdity that accompanied the others - at times more like a bad smell than anything else. Though stubborn, Itsy had excellent instincts, and their string could come in handy for marking paths they had already tread in the event they had to backtrack. Unfortunately, their young age meant they could be a little unruly. Finding a third ball, Sweeney allows Branch out, the Oddish shaking dew from her leaves as she materialises. Immediately, both Itsy and Bitsy run to the Grass type, merrily greeting her. Branch returns the gesture in kind, the maternal plant having forged a fast bond with the duo. Fortunately, Branch was also particularly good at interpreting the atmosphere, and quickly had the Bug types falling into line. With that done, the group begin the arduous task of navigating the Shrubbery Maze.
Old 10-01-2020, 04:31 PM   #22
TheKnightsFury
Volcano Badge

Quote:
TheKnightsFury: You head north from the maze’s entrance as the path quickly turns east and then north again. After a short walk, you come up on another split in the path…

Spooky Tree: (TheKnightsFury)
As you enter the clearing, you are greeted by a rather sinister looking tree. Your options are East, West, or South back the way you came. It almost feels as if the tree is watching you, waiting to see your decision.
Finally they were seeing some progress. After a short walk they found themselves at another intersection, much better than another dead end! A large spooky tree leaned over them, why did it feel like the tree was watching them. "Is that a Trevenant? Or an Ent? Either way, that tree is creeping me out, let's get moving...." Xander looked at their options. They could go back the way they came, but what would the point of that be? South wasn't an option. That left two choices, right or left, west or east. Once again, his Pokemon were torn.

Pichu was eager to head to the west, while Dewpider had climbed back down to the ground and was tugging on his pant legs, trying helplessly to drag him towards the eastern path. Dracovish was locked in a staring contest with the tree. The prehistoric abomination was flapping his lobed fins and letting out strange calls as he tried to get the trees attention. "Man, you're an absolute weirdo Dracovish", Xander laughed before turning to the east. "We haven't listened to Dewpider yet, seems only fair that we head east this time." The bell spider cheered, while Pichu dragged his feet as he made his way back towards his trainer. "Dracovish, cut it out, we're going down the east path", Xander almost had to pull the monster away from the tree. Knowing their luck, they'd be back there shortly anyway. More people were starting to tackle the maze, hopefully at least one of them would manage to make it out.....

Old 10-01-2020, 04:32 PM   #23
Ironthunder
The Uncultured One

Send a message via Skype™ to Ironthunder
Quote:
As the moon rose, Liawe walked over to the overgrown tangle of thorns and vines. The pollen in the air turned the moonlight purple, providing a twisted, eerie gleam to everything. It was beautiful, in its own terrible way. As she approached a gap in the vines that could serve as an entrance, she realised that she wasn't alone: Something was following her, slipping through the shadows in her trail. Shuddering, she forced herself to move into the mesmerising maze, beckoning to the shadowy creatures following her, both invited and not. But then again, waiting on an invitation wasn't exactly Hope's style, and Modryn had refused to stay behind anyway, and so she led her demented duo deeper into the overgrown tangle.

Supposedly within this twisted labyrinth lay a secret meadow and a horde of mysterious, mutated Bulbasaurs that had jack-o-lanterns instead of bulbs. It sounded like a hallucinated fairy-tale, and yet... The maze felt deliberately deceptive, as if it were protecting a great secret. Maybe the myth of the Pumpkasaurs would be solved. Perhaps, but not this night. And not by this one, either: Hope would be as likely to celebrate the solving of the mystery as she would be to attempt to return them to mythos, and Modryn was an unknown at the best of times. With a duo like this, Liawe wished some of her more sane Pokemon had accompanied her, but they were all back at camp on the outskirts. Besides, most of them were asleep when she left anyway. Coming to a stop at a junction, she waited for her troublemakers to catch up as they usually did, which wasn't that long a wait: Hope materialised in front of her face almost immediately, at almost the exact same time as Modryn hopped into the back of her legs, sending her tumbling to the floor and causing her to lose track of both her train of thought and which way she'd come from. Truly, a Liawe classic. Stumbling to her feet, she looked around, taking stock of her options.
Old 10-01-2020, 04:35 PM   #24
Maskerade
Rainbow Badge

Ray tipped his hat lower, in an attempt to cover his face. It was more of a habit than anything these days – nobody in their right mind would feel adequately concealed by a cap. Fortunately, he had other means of remaining unnoticed.

“Zoroark.”

The black and red fox growled almost immediately in response. It could tell Ray was up to something – and that was always fun.

“Too many people there for my liking. There’s no reason for any of them to know me, but we can never rule out a police mole. Gonna need your help with that,” Ray added with a faint smirk. Zoroark nodded, smiling as well.

“I only came here to grab one of those pumpkin mutants. Should fetch a decent price in the… right market. But seems we have to mingle with all those idiots to actually make it through that maze, if we want our prize. Their research be damned... come on, let’s do this quick.”

In an instant, Ray was transformed – to the eyes of any onlookers – into a man ten years older, with flowing blonde hair, glasses and a classy white suit. He rolled his eyes; Zoroark sure liked to make its own fun. Oh well, at least it wasn’t a demeaning illusion this time around. The black fox itself was no longer the same either – to anyone who looked, it was in fact an unassuming Ralts.

“Off we go then,” said Ray, resisting the temptation of adjusting his cap one more time. For all intents and purposes, it wasn’t there.

It’s the dead of night and the moon is full. Zoroark is in its element, if anything goes awry. Well then… let’s see if we can hit the jackpot in that maze.
Old 10-01-2020, 05:12 PM   #25
Sandaa
Volcano Badge

Pearl’s Perap, Emp: You head north from the maze’s entrance as the path quickly turns east and then north again. After a short walk, you come up on another split in the path…

TheKnightsFury: You head east from the spooky tree, walking straight for a short ways before the path curves north. It does not run north for very long however, and as you near the corner you hear some faint chanting… “Pumpka… pumpka… pumpka…” Could this be… the exit already? As you round the corner you are taken aback as a small round creature jumps out at you. “BOO!” The ghost incessantly giggles as you recoil before disappearing into the thick of the hedges. All that remains is a dead end. Best to turn back…

Maze Entrance: (myahoo, ChrisClark13, King Ghidorah, sixdragons, Connor, Ironthunder, Maskerade)

Spooky Tree: (Pearl’s Perap, Emp)
Closed Thread

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > Independent Forums > Fizzy Bubbles > FB Time Out > Hall of Records