UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime

Old 07-11-2016, 04:39 PM   #26
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
So I'm at Episode 13 or something. I need to double check.

I don't think Subaru is in love with Emilia. I mean he acts infatuated with her, but it doesn't come across as love. More like she made a good first impression on him and became someone important. It's more substantial than just shallow physical attraction, but lacks that physical attraction element too.

By contrast hooooly crack has Ram done a heel-faced-turn with her attitude toward Subaru. This is Muv-Luv tier bubbles right here. I ship this. I ship it hard and am really going to get invested in this as the official boat. I will stand by this boat so long I might as well be Guts.

Also, the fantasy world Subaru is in is completely uninteresting. Among the "slider" slash "iisekai" series, the top ones have always had a different focus:

Muv-Luv Alternative: world-building
Konosuba - comedy/sex appeal
Overlord - main cast
Re:Zero - reincarnation plot

That's good. For all the hate iisekai gets these days in the LN scene, on the VN/anime level the major ones sell different fruit, so you're always comparing apples and oranges.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 07:44 AM   #27
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

EPISODE 13

How can people enjoy this?

This is so cringe-worthy. I don't get it.

I feel like the only person in the world who doesn't get off to this kind of shaming. I'm barely invested with the characters, having known them for a GRAND TOTAL of maybe 24 hours, and this kind of stuff is just awful to sit through.

It's intensely painful to watch and embarrassing.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 07-12-2016, 01:53 PM   #28
deoxys
Fog Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
EPISODE 13

How can people enjoy this?

This is so cringe-worthy. I don't get it.

I feel like the only person in the world who doesn't get off to this kind of shaming. I'm barely invested with the characters, having known them for a GRAND TOTAL of maybe 24 hours, and this kind of stuff is just awful to sit through.

It's intensely painful to watch and embarrassing.

Yep.

Episode 13 was incredibly difficult to get through. It wasn't even entertaining or fun to watch. It just hurt and was painful from start to finish.

Wait until you see the newest (15) for a completely different kind of "this is incredibly difficult to get through".

Also did you mean Ram (red hair) or Rem (blue)?
deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 11:29 PM   #29
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

REM, she is best girl.

Actually Episode 15 was not that bad. As I've mentioned before, this is kind of similar to Muv-Luv Alternative's psychology debates but anything is easier to take than the malefaction of social suicide.

Actually let me discuss Episode 13-14 more.

Spoiler: show
Both Subaru and Emilia are right and wrong.

Emilia was spot on pointing out that Subaru's actions were selfish. He was very jealous of other people trying to take a part in Emilia's life, and so was willing to risk his pride (and health) just to be near her. It isn't his pride exactly, but his obsession with her, that is driving his bravado.

However, Emilia was also ignorant of Subaru's true nature. He's not her friend, he's not her lover - he's her worshiper. Subaru's obsession with her is fanatical, not unlike an otaku with his idol. She did not understand him as a worshipper and so was unable to successfully manipulate his behaviour. Likely, because she wouldn't believe someone like him would end up like that.

Similarly, while Subaru incorrectly surmises the intentions of others, like Cszech (sp?), his obsession drives him in the right direction. Nobody knows Subaru reincarnates and so his view of the world is going to go up against the conventional wisdom. Episode 14 made him seem like everything he thinks is wrong and reckless, but upon returning to the mansion we learn that his paranoia is justified and he gained information (if trauma) from his experience returning there.

It's an odd sensation. Everyone tells you you are wrong, but you know you are right, and you only get to prove it to yourself. Nobody else knows.

What's clear to me is Episode 15 wasn't what broke Subaru permanently. Rather, it was Rem killing him the first time that really did the most damage. That betrayal, the first in the series, is what cost him the ability to trust anyone deeply.

I think Emilia would be flattered to have a worshiper like Subaru, once she realizes what he is. He likes her not for her looks, but for who she is. In the Re:Zero world, that's a view unbiased by prejudice. In our world that's true love.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて

Last edited by Doppleganger; 07-12-2016 at 11:47 PM.
Old 07-13-2016, 12:02 AM   #30
deoxys
Fog Badge

You make a lot of very good points.

I'll need to look more into Muv-Luv then, you have me curious. How do you feel about the show at this point in time I'm glad you took the plunge and came this far. Do you regret it? Do you enjoy it?
Old 07-13-2016, 12:42 AM   #31
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I don't regret this at all, if the Episode 13 faux paus remains the only "piss myself in public" moment.

I do worry though about where the series direction is going. Subaru wouldn't be nearly as interesting if his character developed suddenly into a super mature macho man. Nor would it be sustainable if he's a wimp for the entire series.

The Episode 15 hint suggested we're watching something akin to a broken man's Breaking Bad. Mr. Chips going Frito-Lay. Which would be refreshing, if a bit of a retread with the popular, recent iisekai series where the main guy is the bad guy.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 07-13-2016, 10:58 PM   #32
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deoxys View Post
I'll need to look more into Muv-Luv then, you have me curious.
I've been a different person ever since I finished Muv-Luv Alternative. It was literally a transformation experience. I always speak about it in the same glowing English I do with Baldur's Gate and Tie Fighter.

You gotta start with Muv-Luv first though. That makes it all the more powerful.

Anyway, why I'm posting here is "rem best girl" is now, apparently, a meme. If you Google it you get over a million hits (all Re:Zero related) for that phrase exactly.

I agree with the meme.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 07-18-2016, 10:24 PM   #33
Crys
seems theres a case aclaw

well episode 16 was certainly...something.
Crys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 03:34 AM   #34
Chiko
Chiko Chiko Chi

Location: To the world, to the world, to the world, to the world where you live
I could not have said it any better, Crys.
Old 07-19-2016, 11:19 PM   #35
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I hate living.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 07-20-2016, 08:25 PM   #36
deoxys
Fog Badge

Quote:
I hate living.
Old 07-20-2016, 11:35 PM   #37
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

You guys aren't very fun with discussion, so imma dust off an old skill I haven't used in like 7 years - episode review. Brace your butts, most of you were probably not born before the last time I did one of these.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 07-20-2016, 11:58 PM   #38
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
You guys aren't very fun with discussion
FEEL MY PAIN.

CURSE SKYPE CHATS.

No, but seriously, so much effort just to talk into thin air (at worst) or get a one-line "I like! MOAR!" (at best). orz
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 11:35 AM   #39
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Re:Zero Episode 16

This episode doesn't hold anything back, opening with an H-scene to immediately shock the viewer.

NSFW:

Ruined for marriage!

Then Subaru does some smart things. Realizing that the situation in the previous episode is completely untenable, he decides to ask the other royal candidates for help (+1), as they certainly have the man power to help Emilia. He feels the closest to Crusch, the lady who named herself after the orange soda, so she seems the most willing to work with Emilia (+1).

She dumps him. Given how Crusch tried to seduce Subaru in a previous timeline, I would have wagered asking for a bang right here would have been more successful.

Crusch gives a couple reasonable arguments for why she shouldn't help Subaru:

1. If Emilia dies, she benefits. There's no benefit to her either.
2. Roswaal's peasants dying isn't her problem, because it's Emilia's job to protect them.
3. Subaru has nothing of value to Crusch so there's nothing he can offer her.

Subaru then explodes about the Witch's Cult and gets further roasted by Crusch, and it's pretty painful to watch (even more than the footjob later):

It looks really bad from her POV!

That said I disagree with her logic. She says, "if you can't tell me how you know the Witch's Cult movements, you must be a spy for them". That's not true, that only presumes you know all the possible ways Subaru could have obtained that knowledge. It's a dangerous leap of logic for someone as intelligent as her, and either reflects her own immaturity or an intent to deliberately unsettle Subaru.

The latter doesn't require a lot of provocation so I would wager that's it.

Now comes the hammer:

We've seen this theme before, even before last week's episode with Beetlejuice. People are insisting that Subaru has lost direction, and is acting in his own interest and not in the interest of Emilia. Subaru rejects that and in some cases they're right, but I do think it's more a matter of miscommunication.

It is true that in this case, Subaru wanted revenge on the Witch's Cult, for what they did to Rem, Ram and the villagers. He hasn't seen Emilia dead yet after-all (although it's implied). But it's pretty dumb to say that a guy negotiating for his superior's life isn't doing so in good faith. Even if his motives are impure, the action is the same.

Also, this scene basically cements Re:Zero as spiritual kin to Muv-Luv Unlimited in my mind. What Crusch was asking of Subaru is basically the generic shounen hero speech.

It really frames the expectations the series characters have of him - they need an Emiya Shirou, or a Shiki Tohno, to come in and save the day with super powers, and instead they get a Hikigaya Hachiman or Kakeru Kurosawa. They don't know they want a super-hero, but need one. They don't recognize that Subaru isn't super-hero.

This is a big contrast from the other isekai shows Overlord and Konosuba, as I've mentioned. Even in Konosuba, the lead has super-natural powers. In Steins;Gate, Kyouma doesn't have to go through the pain of death and his friends are all fully capable of helping him work through the problems.

Instead, we have a superficially fun MMORPG-style fantasy world that ends up turning into Berserk because neither Emilia's camp, nor Subaru, have the power to stop the supernatural or political threats to their existence.

Muv-Luv Unlimited received praise back in the day for a similar reason. You go in thinking you're Kira Yamato in Mobile Suite Gundam SEED and are doused with a cold dose of reality that the world is, frankly, beyond your control. And you're helpless to do anything but let the world decide things for you, like you're on a train that never makes a stop.

Anyway, Subaru leaves and we get the foot scene.

It ends pretty predictably. I was hoping it wouldn't. But it do.

My only take away from this is that Aldebaran is a bro. Priscilla was completely incomprehensible from her dialogue. I don't understand what was going through her head so this scene only wasted time. At least we knew that Subaru thought about Emilia before he went greed pig.

Next, Subaru unsurprisingly runs into Anastasia's camp. I think she was watching him since she has a large network of soldiers and it's obvious he was visiting the other candidates. Subaru petitions her for a carriage (having given up and wanting to again fail to save Emilia).

Anastasia gets Subaru to leak information about Crusch, and Subaru gets mad about it. Which doesn't make sense to me. What's the source of the anger?

Is it because he thought this:

And then was proven wrong? That's just arrogance, or perhaps vanity. He clearly wasn't thinking about Crusch and was likely still steamed after the falling out earlier, so that must have been the cause.

The episode (and presumably timeline) ends with everyone getting eaten by Judgment Dragon.

-1000 LP

It is my hope that Subaru learns from the Anastasia con to gather information for Crusch. Crusch is obviously more willing to help Emilia than Priscilla or Anastasia. But Subaru is clearly too mentally unstable to reason like that - with the money he has, he could buy a bunch of opiates or something and OD the night of Emilia's death, and keep looping until he gathers enough intel to help Crusch.

The reasoning would be, Emilia is the weakest candidate and the least threat to Crusch. Meanwhile, Subaru has valuable intel on the other, more dangerous candidates. Help out Emilia to help you win against the stronger candidates. Subaru would basically be following the Donald Trump model of primary politicking.

BUT WE ALL KNOW THIS IS A HOPELESS DREAM.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 07-24-2016, 09:24 PM   #40
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I need some emotional support.

Noreally guys.

really

あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 07-24-2016, 09:51 PM   #41
Crys

disgusting.

absolutely disgusting.
Old 07-24-2016, 11:08 PM   #42
deoxys
Fog Badge

I wanted to take some time to reply properly to one of Dopple's legendary posts, but I haven't had the time yet.

For now, I need to just leave a brief comment -

I want to keep watching, but I also want to stop. Seriously. This show is just fucked up at this point. I feel like watching this show should come with a warning at the beginning "WATCH AT YOUR OWN RISK - THERAPY MAY BE REQUIRED. VIEWER DISCRETION ADVISED."

If you think I'm joking I'm fucking not.

I don't know what to do.
Old 07-25-2016, 12:13 AM   #43
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Would hating on Emilia be victim blaming?

I don't hate her, but I've seen angry boys on the internet do it.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 07-31-2016, 02:17 PM   #44
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

The only way I could survive Episode 18 was pretending Rem is the main character. Which, at this point, isn't much of a stretch.

I still intend to write up some more episode summaries, hopefully that comes later this week.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 07-31-2016, 07:58 PM   #45
Midgeorge
Marsh Badge

Episode 18:
Y'know, as much as this show has been painful to watch for the last few episodes, it makes me feel like no other show has done. You see the main character fall to the lowest point, and all I want is for something good to happen. Personally the reason I find it painful to watch is because it's hard seeing such a light hearted character fall to such depths.

I've never wished for a happy ending so hard watching a show before. This episode gave us some hope that things will get better, and although I didn't really care for the method of how he got there, I'm ecstatic that he eventually did.
Old 08-01-2016, 01:19 AM   #46
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I'm sort-of similar. I'm not cheering for a happy end because it's contrary to the series objective.

Subaru in this episode pretty much outlined a happy end for both himself and Rem. Emilia's circumstances are a bit different - could she be happy if she fails to become the Lugunica ruler? She underestimates the danger and difficulty of accomplishing what she wants to do, so how resolved she is to risk her life for this chance isn't clear.

I just want Subaru and Rem to go as far as they can.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 08-01-2016, 06:41 PM   #47
deoxys
Fog Badge

Quote:
The only way I could survive Episode 18 was pretending Rem is the main character.
Old 08-01-2016, 10:26 PM   #48
Crys

i'm waiting for when he dies and has to go through that conversation again.
Old 08-04-2016, 01:50 AM   #49
Chiko
Chiko Chiko Chi

Location: To the world, to the world, to the world, to the world where you live
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crys View Post
i'm waiting for when he dies and has to go through that conversation again.
You evil man.
Old 08-04-2016, 04:40 AM   #50
Connor
Flashbacker

More than anything, fuck the White Whale. Fuck it into the deepest pits of hell and let it never return to my memory. That thing is fucked man.

Last edited by deoxys; 08-04-2016 at 08:50 AM. Reason: Fixed broken color tags
Connor is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime