UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON

Old 06-22-2014, 12:28 AM   #2401
Firewater
Volcano Badge

Send a message via Skype™ to Firewater
given the tip to watch Daisy's latest video, along with boredom I also went back to randoms. So far, this has been the best one i've had so far.
Old 06-22-2014, 09:57 AM   #2402
Mercutio
Banned

Any suggestions on a check or counter for a max speed Durant (beneficial nature, 31 and full EVs)? My brother has managed to get his 3DS back from the festival he lost it at (about two hours after opening the one I bought him for his birthday) and this means that the Durant he continually uses to sweep his idiot friends is now something I'll need to worry about. His team in general is usually not all OU, we tend to be pretty relaxed and just use stuff because it looks badass as opposed to because it's actually good.
Mercutio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 10:17 AM   #2403
Shuckle
Problematic Fave

Charizard eats basically anything Durant can throw at it, has fire attacks, and looks really badass.

*checks moveset*

wtf durant

Pretty much any Steel will wall out Durant, especially if it has some neutral-damaging move like Earthquake or Rock Slide. Steelix would work well. Fire will also do well and have the bonus of being more threatening, but he'll accuse you of trying to counter him and that's no bueno. Be subtle.
Old 06-22-2014, 10:40 AM   #2404
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercutio View Post
Any suggestions on a check or counter for a max speed Durant (beneficial nature, 31 and full EVs)? My brother has managed to get his 3DS back from the festival he lost it at (about two hours after opening the one I bought him for his birthday) and this means that the Durant he continually uses to sweep his idiot friends is now something I'll need to worry about. His team in general is usually not all OU, we tend to be pretty relaxed and just use stuff because it looks badass as opposed to because it's actually good.
Durant loves the attacks Iron Head, Stone Edge, and to a slightly lesser extent X-Scissor. Things which resist those types will be ideal though not strictly necessary. Smogon disagrees with my RandBats-biased list and actually indicates Superpower and Thunder Fang over the wildly-inaccurate Stone Edge. But Rock-type attacks prove to be Durant's best defense against enemy Fire types, so I'd caution you to be prepared for them regardless of what Smogon says. If you know your brother to not run Rock-type attacks on his Durant, then factor that into your decision-making process.

Durant can't usually afford to run a Focus Sash, meaning he is prime OHKO material for any Fire-wielding Pokémon.

In a more casual setting, Hustle w/ Hone Claws will be his game, just as it is in Random Battle on Pokémon Showdown where he's one of the fastest in the format. In OU, though, Durant can't waste time setting up as he's just barely too slow (a base speed of 109) and much too fragile. (Smogon recommends the Hone Claws set still as Durant's best option in OU but admits that actually getting the accuracy boost set up and then reaping the rewards proves to be difficult.)

Putting those three factors together, I'd say typical counters include:
  • defensive Steels who laugh at his attack options
  • fast Fires or Fires who can be gifted speed via items or allies' attacks
  • Gliscor (defensive wall w/o weakness to Steel, Rock, Bug, Fighting, or Electric; can stall the ant out on misses while Earthquaking it every so often)
Consider:
  • Heatran doesn't like Stone Edge and hates Superpower but will otherwise OHKO the ant
  • Skarmory has to worry about Thunder Fang but otherwise laughs at Durant; can even Whirlwind him away if he keeps trying to set up boosts!
  • Aegislash should roar with laughter at Durant, I would think
Another option you have available to you is crippling the ant with Will-o-Wisp. If you time it right, you can burn him before he gets in his first attack against you. He's free to boost from there to try and remedy the situation -- but good luck with that. You can easily 2HKO or 3HKO him during that time. And the burn will shave off a considerable amount of health each turn he's trying this too. A bulky Dusclops (@ Eviolite) or Dusknoir packing Will-o-Wisp should do the trick. At worst, you force him to switch out. At best, you burn his sweeper, ruining it.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 11:52 AM   #2405
Mew The Gato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercutio View Post
Aegislash will take any hit and OHKO back with something like Shadow Ball, but note that some Durant carry Crunch, which will 2HKO unless King's Shield intervenes. (And has the possibility to 2HKO even with King's Shield unless you halve its Attack twice.)

Gliscor can sponge pretty much anything from unboosted Durant while 3HKOing back with Earthquake. If not for Toxic Orb's healing, Gliscor would have probably lost, however.

Unless Durant is boosted, Skarmory will take even Thunder Fang. Counter / Whirlwind Skarmory can usually deal with it.

Unaware physically defensive Quagsire will almost never be 2HKOed, and can fish for a Scald Burn.

Physically defensive Landorus-T will probably be able to beat it, but cannot switch in, because it is 3HKOed, and its Earthquake only 2HKOes.

Mega Scizor is not 2HKOed by Durant unless the latter gets a critical hit, and is free to Roost/Knock Off its way to victory.

Of course, these are just defensive counters. There are a lot of ways to beat Durant offensively. Talonflame, Greninja, Latios, or basically anything faster that has a powerful Special attack will beat it.
Mew The Gato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 11:52 AM   #2406
Talon87
時の彼方へ

FUCKING HEAT WAVE. (VGC 2014, 8 turns)

Spoiler: show
I had this one won provided Heat Wave didn't miss its marks. 10% chance of missing either target. OH LOOK IT MISSES BOTH TARGETS. HOW UNEXPECTED.
Old 06-22-2014, 04:35 PM   #2407
DaisyInari
Sarasaland represent!

Send a message via MSN to DaisyInari
Altaria

If my opponent can crit, so can I :u

My last pokemon was a Fearow, just so you guys know =3=

Hi, I'm Daisy!

W(DQ)- 22(3) L(DQ)-14(0)
KO-55
TP-131 SP- 64.5/96.5 (5SP to Deh, 5SP to FW, 5SP to Desert Spirit, 8.5SP to Fallen Icarus, 10SP to Kyro12, 8SP to Charminions, 10 to aposteriori)
SHUCKS I GOTTA FIX THIS SOMETIME
~TL3~

~Fizzy Bubbles~

Credits to Charm for making this!

Come, my birdies!!!! Mwahahahaha!!!!!!

Thanks Pingu for being so nice and making me this~

Credit to TheKnightsFury for the sprite!

Fear my abnormally large signature~

Be Positive Ref~ I <3 you, Lonely Cubone and those who eval'd me~
DaisyInari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 04:50 PM   #2408
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaisyInari View Post
But ... but you were the first one to get a crit in the game. *pseudo-OCD annoyed that the title suggests the opposite* Turn 8. ^^; And you had more crits than he did overall. If anyone should be angry about crits, it's him! ^^;;

You got hosed in the opening turn of the game though, so condolences there.

You earned the win once you made the score 3-2 ... and then out comes Xerneas from him and it's like "Seriously!? " ^^;;; Fucking Xerneas. A guaranteed-loss-to-guaranteed-win if ever I saw one ...

... In competent hands, that is. Your opponent both was ignorant and greedy, a combination which proved fatal for him in this game. One Geomancy was enough, but the fucker was too greedy and forged ahead for a second -- and cost himself the game by placing himself precisely one turn behind Shaymin. Had he instead gone straight for Moonblast, that probably would've been your loss. A frustrating loss, but still a loss. Thankfully for everyone here on Team Daisy, the guy dropped his insta-win button off the side of the boat like Rose's diamond in Titantic.
Old 06-22-2014, 04:57 PM   #2409
Heather
Naga's Voice

Let me say again, Talon, I feel with Rock Slide what you feel with Heat Wave.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTheFishGuy View Post
Quoth the Honchkrow (nevermore!).
Fizzy Member Post: Catherine Park
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 05:07 PM   #2410
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Let me bite my tongue again on the two-page rant of why I really wish you'd quit lumping my situation in with yours. ^^; I appreciate the commiseration, but ...

Bah, since I've said this much and to leave it at only this would sound really callous, I'll just say these two sentences: I don't think you are weighing misses and hits equally but rather that you feel the pain of the misses a lot more heavily and thus they stand out to you more; I, on the other hand, am confident in my ability to objectively assess a situation, removing myself from it, and I am truly noticing that this move misses far more than it should.

For what it's worth, a third sentence: I've already had two opponents remark on this as well, uninvited by me, saying that they've noticed that the server was changed recently (was it? how recently is "recently"?) and that Heat Wave misses much more than it used to.
Old 06-22-2014, 05:18 PM   #2411
rotomotorz
Think ye can take me?

Talonflame kills Durant in one hit. So does anything faster than it that gets a decent fire type move
{======|_|""T""|_|""r""|_|""a""|_|""i""|_|""n""|
/o--000'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'
Squad Summary

rotomotorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 06:51 PM   #2412
Mercutio
Banned

Thanks all. He does indeed use Hone Claws to counter the insanity that is Hustle Stone Edge. He claims to have never lost a ramdom wi fi battle with it. I'll struggle to acquire Heatran but I might ask for a decent Skarmory fot breeding stock. He doesn't run Thunder Fang.
Old 06-22-2014, 06:56 PM   #2413
rotomotorz
Think ye can take me?

Alternatively, Imposter Ditto!
Squad Summary

Old 06-22-2014, 07:09 PM   #2414
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Yeah, given the presence of Stone Edge I'm not entirely sure how hot the Fire/Flying or Fire/Bug options are. Talonflame ordinarily outspeeds ... but emphasis on ordinarily. If your brother somehow Baton Passes Durant a speed boost ... if he runs Tailwind ... whatever it takes to get the ant faster than the bird, the dragon, and the moth, then yeah, it's not going to be pretty. (Yes, Talonflame still has priority Brave Bird. No, I don't think he's gonna OHKO a 100%HP Durant with it. Too lazy to crunch the calcs. Call it gut instinct.)

Skarmory can be good as not only an anti-Durant but also as a supporter for your own team. You can have him lay Spikes of your own ... you can have him set up Stealth Rock ... you can give him Defog to rid both sides of the field of hazards, further screwing over your brother's anti-anti-Durant strategies somewhat ... there are options. Common moves on Skarmory include:
  • Spikes
  • Stealth Rock
  • Whirlwind
  • Roost
  • Brave Bird
  • Defog
Less common though still solid:
  • Toxic (which Smogon no longer lists)
  • Taunt (which they do)
Skarmory typically functions best as a defensive pivot for teams. He's switched in to absorb a hit from an enemy physical attacker. (In our case that'd be Durant.) While that trainer switches out for an anti-Skarmory, Skarmory takes a free turn to do something. (Set up entry hazards, attack, phaze, what have you.) Knowing what they've sent out now, you then call Skarmory back for your anti-that.

He can be used offensively decently well though, as is testified to by the fact that Brave Bird is found on most if not nearly all modern sets. Given Durant's own frail defenses and 1x type resistance to Flying-type attacks, Skarmory's STAB Brave Birds should help out with the anti-ant duty.
Old 06-22-2014, 07:39 PM   #2415
Cloneblazer12
somewhat temporarily back

Send a message via Skype™ to Cloneblazer12
Someone say Skarmory? I have quite a few 4IV ones that are leftovers from my quest to breed a 5IV one. Even has the Egg moves Stealth Rock, Whirlwind, and Brave Bird. If you want one, let me know. Also, Stealth Rock is a transfer egg move, so yeah.

Anyways, have a battle I played a week ago.

Dont Talk Shit if you Cant Back it up (OU, 31 Turns)

The replay in itself is okay I guess. I played well, and was finally able to reveal my trump card against his Skarmory, it being my mixed Megachomp set that I love to use. But the real reason I posted this is the background about it. I doubt many of you care, but Im in Dragons Den, a Guild on Serebii. Anyways, this guy came to our Xat and decided to start talking shit about us, and me in general. I called him out on it, and everyone there wanted to see us fight, so naturally, me being the cocky asshole I am, I said "challenge if real." When I said that, he lolled at me and said hed be ready in a few and to wait on Smogtours. The thing is, though, he decided to make a semi stall team that took him about an hour, as we kept asking him what was taking so long, and he said "Im just getting ready.." Fast forward to the battle, he talked shit before it started, including "Fuck Talonflame", something I get a LOT.

Anyways, onto the battle itself. Heatran was a bitch. He had protect, and Keldeo was Specs so I had to switch yadda yadda ya. Lando was also a problem since he could U-Turn the switch in and also had intimidate, which prevented an Excadrill sweep. Aside from that, nothing of note happens (I lost Talonflame, but ehh, he wasnt needed that much tbh) untill Turn 22, which was Deja Vu from earlier. Then I sprung my trap. Garchomp is usually walled by Skarmory, and Mega Garchomp is fairly uncommon, even on sand. I used this to my advantage, and BOOM. Roasted Skarmory alive with Fire Blast. Broke the Skarm Bliss completely turn 26, and from there, it was gg. Venu was crippled beyond repair, Azu was severely weakened, and Keldeo rekt his entire team from there. Afterwards, he continued to call me a scrub even though everyone there said I rekt him so

Old 06-22-2014, 07:57 PM   #2416
rotomotorz
Think ye can take me?

God dammit TMC what the fuck are you doing
Squad Summary

Old 06-22-2014, 08:05 PM   #2417
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloneblazer12 View Post
Dont Talk Shit if you Cant Back it up (OU, 31 Turns)

The replay in itself is okay I guess. I played well, and was finally able to reveal my trump card against his Skarmory, it being my mixed Megachomp set that I love to use. But the real reason I posted this is the background about it. I doubt many of you care, but Im in Dragons Den, a Guild on Serebii. Anyways, this guy came to our Xat and decided to start talking shit about us, and me in general. I called him out on it, and everyone there wanted to see us fight, so naturally, me being the cocky asshole I am, I said "challenge if real." When I said that, he lolled at me and said hed be ready in a few and to wait on Smogtours. The thing is, though, he decided to make a semi stall team that took him about an hour, as we kept asking him what was taking so long, and he said "Im just getting ready.." Fast forward to the battle, he talked shit before it started, including "Fuck Talonflame", something I get a LOT.

Anyways, onto the battle itself. Heatran was a bitch. He had protect, and Keldeo was Specs so I had to switch yadda yadda ya. Lando was also a problem since he could U-Turn the switch in and also had intimidate, which prevented an Excadrill sweep. Aside from that, nothing of note happens (I lost Talonflame, but ehh, he wasnt needed that much tbh) untill Turn 22, which was Deja Vu from earlier. Then I sprung my trap. Garchomp is usually walled by Skarmory, and Mega Garchomp is fairly uncommon, even on sand. I used this to my advantage, and BOOM. Roasted Skarmory alive with Fire Blast. Broke the Skarm Bliss completely turn 26, and from there, it was gg. Venu was crippled beyond repair, Azu was severely weakened, and Keldeo rekt his entire team from there. Afterwards, he continued to call me a scrub even though everyone there said I rekt him so

It kills me when people type out !data [name] instead of typing /data [name]. The former is a broadcast, and technically only voiced or higher members on the server should be capable of broadcasting messages. The latter is a private request for information that only you can see. What I've noticed is, it's always these clan-obsessed idiots with stars in front of their names who use the ! command rather than the / command when pulling up Pokémon info. Always. It's like ...
  1. were you really so ignorant that you were on the server for as many months/years as it took you to earn voice and yet during that time you never learned how to look up information using the /data or /rank commands?
  2. how does someone as fucking stupid as yourself manage to get voice when so many more deserving people do not?
  3. why the fuck hasn't your clan taught you the proper way!? Like, seriously. This is the one that kills me the most. Wouldn't you think ... that it would be in your clan's best interests ... to have the highest W:L record possible? And wouldn't you think ... that you are hurting your chances of winning ... EVERY SINGLE FUCKING TIME YOU BROADCAST TO THE ENEMY THE DEPTHS OF YOUR OWN IGNORANCE!?
Seriously. People. It's not that hard. Don't be an idiot 12-year old who uses ! commands to show off that he somehow got voiced. Even if you're voiced, continue to use / commands. Give your opponent as little information to use against you in battle as possible.

Anyway, that stated ... I watched the entire game and I was looking for examples of smacktalking. Never saw any. I guess by "talking shit" you just meant "insulting," but I think he was just expressing his personal dislike of Talonflame.
Old 06-22-2014, 08:09 PM   #2418
Emi
Barghest Barghest Barghe-

Send a message via Skype™ to Emi
>don't talk shit if you can't back it up

Now seriously, you didn't wreck him. He made one bad misplay but if he hadn't switched Chansey in (whyyyyyyy) he could have come back from that. He played well.
Old 06-22-2014, 09:37 PM   #2419
Cloneblazer12
somewhat temporarily back

Send a message via Skype™ to Cloneblazer12
>Talon

He shitalking was on the Xat. It wasn't present in the battle (it would have been if Smogtours didn't prevent spectators from talking. Though I do see why it's disallowed). Idk if what I typed was clear enough On that or not.

>Blaze
Those were the word of everyone else on the Xat. I personally felt like I won with a good margin, but idk if I truly 'rekt' him (probably not and it was just shitalking afterwards). Anyways, the play with Chansey didn't matter /that/ much, as I still had Keldeo to take her on. If he had brought in Lando instead, I would've switched to TTar as a sac probably. Idk. Either way he was better than some opponents I've faced.

Old 06-23-2014, 04:38 AM   #2420
Mercutio
Banned

I would be interested in one of those Skarmory, yes. I'm sure I can find something vaguely decent to trade you in exchange, though outside of a shiny Piloswine and the Pokérus I'm not sure what I have worth the swap lol. We'll talk later.
Old 06-23-2014, 07:33 AM   #2421
Heather
Naga's Voice

> /data instead of !data

I had no idea that /data was a thing and I admit to using the latter because it was the only one I knew. But its usually just to compare base speeds in a wire match, at that wire stage.

> Clone's match

Good on you for putting him down. I can't stand those people.

> Rock Slide

I know, I know Talon. But really, I know it gets its fair share of hits, but I feel like at least for me it misses a bit more than 10% of the time. Considering how much my White Clone team used Dig to bait out Birds for a Rock Slide, I have plenty of experience with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTheFishGuy View Post
Quoth the Honchkrow (nevermore!).
Fizzy Member Post: Catherine Park
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 02:45 PM   #2422
DaisyInari
Sarasaland represent!

Send a message via MSN to DaisyInari
Altaria

tfw Swords Dancing, Extremespeed Normal Arceus is on the opponents team

It's a short battle since my opponent forfeits on the 16th turn, but when you're on turn 7 and you don't realize you have a Will-o-Wisp Spiritomb on your team you kind of have a mini heart attack!

Hi, I'm Daisy!

W(DQ)- 22(3) L(DQ)-14(0)
KO-55
TP-131 SP- 64.5/96.5 (5SP to Deh, 5SP to FW, 5SP to Desert Spirit, 8.5SP to Fallen Icarus, 10SP to Kyro12, 8SP to Charminions, 10 to aposteriori)
SHUCKS I GOTTA FIX THIS SOMETIME
~TL3~

~Fizzy Bubbles~

Credits to Charm for making this!

Come, my birdies!!!! Mwahahahaha!!!!!!

Thanks Pingu for being so nice and making me this~

Credit to TheKnightsFury for the sprite!

Fear my abnormally large signature~

Be Positive Ref~ I <3 you, Lonely Cubone and those who eval'd me~
DaisyInari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 06:31 PM   #2423
rotomotorz
Think ye can take me?

Suddenly AncientPower(VGC 2014)
So on my quest to regain my place in the 1450s I decided to switch FOcus Blast on my Charizard for the more useful AncientPower, which hits Talonflame and other Charizard hard and hit Rotom-H for the same as Focus Miss. Good thing too, because if I didn't have it and instead used Heat Wave, Talonflame could've gotten Ferrothorn, roosted up and KOed charizard, and then roost all over Noivern.
Squad Summary

Old 06-23-2014, 08:20 PM   #2424
Red Panda
head head bitch

ALL the Ubers!

So, enter this match, see Dialga. Okay, I can work with this. After seeing Giratina-O, I was scared, because I only had Toxi-stalling Registeel and Golurk to actually hit it without resisted coverage. The latter died early on. Luckily, though, I played my cards right and had Giratina gone and Zangoose set up. When I saw Xerneas... well, I was glad I had Sticky Web. But seriously, 2 defensive Uber behemoths and a Randbats God?

Now, I realize that Dialga and Giratina-O are not great by Randbat standards, but you rarely find more than two "ubers" on a single team. They do have a lot of defensive potential though.

Oh well, win is a win.
Red Panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 10:57 PM   #2425
rotomotorz
Think ye can take me?

Total bullshit(VGC 2014:45 turns)
Squad Summary

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON