Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quickly ducking in to say,
  • still haven't read anything in this thread since the last time I posted
  • didn't really get to play much for two weeks after that
  • have slowly started to play again
  • current progress is:
    Spoiler: show
    I recently beat Olivia. I've been told to go to a grand resort. I arrived at the grand resort. But I hate how the game plays inferior music at night vs. what it plays during the day; so, sensing that a big scene is about to play out, I opted to not press further until tomorrow when it's daylight.

Z-Power stones: four "Gym Badge" ones, two "Elite Four" ones, and then a random Pikachu one

Relevant plot points bookmarking where I am:
    * just met the female Skull admin for the first time (not counting the demo)
    * have met Kukui's wife and been introduced to the idea of a dimensional rift
    * "Ultra Beasts" or some such has been namedropped, and there's the heavy hinting that Nebby is probably one of these Ultra Beasts or else is at the very least a Pokémon from another world
I suppose there is one major thing I owe it to Kuno you guys to comment on, so I'll do that real fast and then submit this post. Pretty effing huge spoiler, but it's shortly after you finish with a certain "Can you spot the differences?" session so I very strongly doubt anyone reading this thread this week is at risk of getting spoiled by clicking the box :

Colress: Let me just say, my reaction when I saw this two weeks ago (shortly before having to put the game down) was ...

HO

LY

SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII-!!!!!

Pretty amazing plot development. Pretty amazing out-of-left-field cameo. Never in a million years would I have pegged Colress for a return visit to the franchise. As much as I and so many others praise BW2, I feel like it's a regrettable black sheep of the family, and I feel like even for as great a story as it had Colress really wasn't what lent it any of its greatness. :s He was a pretty silly/strange villain and the real emotional focus in that game was on Hugh, N, and Ghetsis. Even Rood and Zinzolin I would list before mentioning Colress. That isn't to say that he wasn't an interesting character, 'cause he was/coulda been. Just that he felt kinda strangely stapled on to BW2's package. It's for this reason that I am really, really surprised they brought him back at all, let alone in such a major fashion.

IS HE A FRIEND?

IS HE AN ADVERSARY?

It's really hard to tell. One thing's clear though: HE HASN'T CHANGED. In however many years it's been since the events of BW2, he hasn't changed one bit -- he's still spouting that mantra of his about "want[ing] to draw out the full potential of Pokémon". Is he gonna do it in a nice guy way this time? Or is he back to his usual "the ends justify the means" cruelties? Only time will tell.

Even before Colress was revealed, I had a bad vibe about the Aether Foundation. Something about the name, it just ... it just sounds like an evil organization fronting as a good guy organization, y'know? ^^; I may be way barking up the wrong tree with this one, but I am ruling nothing out at this juncture. They could be good guys (as evidenced by Sycamore's assistants' involvement with the group). They could be villains (as evidenced by Colress's). We'll just have to wait and see.

My starter's at Level 37, going on 38. Still a Rowlet. It makes the game unintentionally challenging ... or at least, it did until the game decided to gift me Eviolite. Now the game's laughably easy again. ^^;;
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 02:16 PM   #177
deoxys
Fog Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
My starter's at Level 37, going on 38. Still a Rowlet. It makes the game unintentionally challenging ... or at least, it did until the game decided to gift me Eviolite. Now the game's laughably easy again. ^^;;
Are you planning on keeping it unevolved? I mean I guess I can't exactly blame you if you do because Rowlett is a soft and warm like mashed potato (though I have become QUITE fond of his evolutions now too), but I guess I'm just curious.
deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 03:56 PM   #178
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by deoxys View Post
Are you planning on keeping it unevolved? I mean I guess I can't exactly blame you if you do because Rowlett is a soft and warm like mashed potato (though I have become QUITE fond of his evolutions now too), but I guess I'm just curious.
Since I'm not using this thread (and I'm not writing a separate journal the way I did with XY), I asked the Internet what Rowlet's level-up moveset is. A generally unwelcome spoiler, but in this case the lesser of two evils for precisely the matter I hoped to avoid -- Rowlet learns a great move at 43 that his final form doesn't learn until 50-something. It's the difference between having that great move from Gym 6 onward and not having it until the Elite Four (in any other generation).

The original plan was to evolve Rowlet no later than Olivia, to have the middle stage for Island 3, and to have the final stage for Island 4. As it stands, I'm not too far off that goal. My current location is the tea garden (you know the one) and because the game is trolling me with a certain Gen 7 Bug type I want to catch but can't, I have already made it to Level 41. Each Ledian gives like 600 EXP, each unintentionally slayed Gen 7 Bug type 700. I'm making fast gains in this ridiculous {non-Hawaiian} tea garden.
Old 12-12-2016, 05:11 PM   #179
deoxys
Fog Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
Since I'm not using this thread (and I'm not writing a separate journal the way I did with XY), I asked the Internet what Rowlet's level-up moveset is. A generally unwelcome spoiler, but in this case the lesser of two evils for precisely the matter I hoped to avoid -- Rowlet learns a great move at 43 that his final form doesn't learn until 50-something. It's the difference between having that great move from Gym 6 onward and not having it until the Elite Four (in any other generation).

The original plan was to evolve Rowlet no later than Olivia, to have the middle stage for Island 3, and to have the final stage for Island 4. As it stands, I'm not too far off that goal. My current location is the tea garden (you know the one) and because the game is trolling me with a certain Gen 7 Bug type I want to catch but can't, I have already made it to Level 41. Each Ledian gives like 600 EXP, each unintentionally slayed Gen 7 Bug type 700. I'm making fast gains in this ridiculous {non-Hawaiian} tea garden.

Yeah, based on where you are, it's safe to say your Rowlett is pretty over-leveled as far as progression goes. I'm a little shocked but eh. What's the rest of your current team look like?

Can you tell us what the bug type you're trying to catch is? I'm curious which one you're talking about, though I have one of two guesses.
Old 12-12-2016, 05:52 PM   #180
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Yeah, based on where you are, it's safe to say your Rowlett is pretty over-leveled as far as progression goes. I'm a little shocked but eh. What's the rest of your current team look like?
My current team is:
  • Level 41 Rowlet
  • Level 34 Ribombee
  • three Level 30s who don't count (34 Gumshoos, 33 Wishiwashi, 33 Lycanroc)
  • Level 24 Sandygast who probably won't count but is Sassy and that seems to be a good nature given what I see of the in-game stats?
My current location is the R_____ing P___t where you have the surprisingly long scene for what amounts to two 1-Pokémon fights and a hold item reward. I actually just finished that area and am about to double back for Route 10. Basically, I've just arrived on the third island. Really not too far removed from goal of Rowlet evo @ Island 3 start.

While I agree with the masses that exp is harder to come by here than it was in Gen 6, I've always, always up leveled better than 95% of UPNers, it seems. Don't know how much of it is Repel use / lack thereof, how much of it is running / not running from wild battles, how much of it is skipping / never skipping NPC trainers, etc. All I can say is, my Rowlet is going to be literally unstoppable by most game threats once he evolves. (Current set is Leaf Blade, Pluck, Shadow Claw, and Swords Dance. Leaf Blade unboosted just barely fails to OHKO evolved neutrals. So once he evolves, it'll OHKO even those.)

His current attack stat is 84. Compare: Lv.34 Gumshoos is 93, Lv.34 Rimbombee is 73 (SpAtk), Lv.33 Lycanroc is 91. None are EV trained. Meaning a baby starter is holding his own with crappy fully evolveds through sheer force of levels and naturally decent stats, and is going to obliterate them once he evolves.

Quote:
Can you tell us what the bug type you're trying to catch is? I'm curious which one you're talking about, though I have one of two guesses.
It's the:

Water/Bug spider, Araquanid iirc. I don't like the look of it to be perfectly honest. :\ But the typing is rad and long overdue. Boxed mine because it was Hardy. Might re-try later.
Old 12-12-2016, 08:54 PM   #181
Talon87
時の彼方へ

So, a couple of other things to write in on before I advance further with the plot ...

(Safe to click if you've already read books inside a building with a bronze-skinned familiar face ...)

Lusamine: I get the feeling she's a villain who means well and is going to end up being redeemed and rejoining the light. Her whole schtick seems to be, she cares too much. She loves Pokémon so very, very much that she's resorting to some rather drastic measures to ensure their safety. We'll have to see.

I initially was of the impression that she was Lillie's older sister, forming a trio with Lillie and Gideon. But once it was revealed that she's over 40, it became a pretty easy slam dunk to theorize that she's Lillie's mother. Will be very surprised if she's not. Like, "Put down $100 on Lillie's mother" certain that she's Lillie's mother.

The part where she mentions that children would be okay if only they listened to adults ... sounds like something a mother whose daughter is disobeying her might say. Gives the impression that Lillie has gone against Lusamine's wishes and Lusamine is saddened and/or angered by this.

It is interesting to see how both Lusamine and Lillie care about the well-being of the Ultra Beasts but seem to have opposite aims. Lillie tells us she's trying to get Nebby "home", which with the information we have now seems to suggest she's trying to find a way to open the portal and return Nebby to the other dimension. Lusamine, meanwhile, indicates that she requires Cosmog in order to keep the Ultra Beasts anchored in our realm; otherwise, they can't maintain their presence here and they automatically teleport back to the realm from whence they came. Why this is a problem, I don't know, but Lusamine seems to think it is.

Evil Aether Dude with the Four-Letter Name: So yeah. Not a terribly memorable name for me at this moment. ^^; And I can't risk looking it up for fear of downstream spoilers. But yeah ... you know the guy I'm talking about. The one we rescued shortly before Olivia's challenge. The one with the two tufts of green-yellow hair on an otherwise bald head. This guy seems like he's going to be the Ultimate / the True Villain of the game. Whereas Lusamine will be "evil" but not really, this guy will be evil and will actually be evil. What his relation with Colress and Lusamine is, we'll have to see, but yeah ... I don't trust this guy worth a damn. In typical Game Freak fashion, I feel like his evilness is telegraphed by how quickly he foists us off to someone else (Wicke) to be our tour guide, meanwhile he goes away to attend to "important business". In stark contrast to Wicke's attractiveness and friendly demeanor, this guy is ugly and cold.

Wicke: She's got that whole "sexy dorky" thing going on. Like a Velma (live-action Scooby Doo movies) only slightly less sexy than that, a little more dorky and less likely to be experienced in, say, "bedroom affairs." Anyway ... Wicke seems like a nice lady. Like a lot of the people we've met in the Aether Foundation, honestly. :o I'm increasingly getting the impression that the Aether Foundation is Team Plasma all over again -- nice underlings joining an evil organization, unaware that it's evil, duped by the evil superiors in the organization, attracted by a seemingly noble goal. In Plasma's case, it was the liberation of all Pokémon. In the Aether Foundation's case, it's ensuring their well-being. Anyway, when the shit hits the fan and it's revealed that the Aether Foundation isn't all it's cracked up to be [/talon theories], I imagine that Wicke will have a leading role in providing us assistance from within the organization.

Samson Oak: So! :o Professor Oak! ............. Yes? No? I don't know. XD It's hard to say. Clearly, he's meant to make you think he's Professor Oak. He identifies as a professor. Rotom is familiar with him, a nod to the anime (in which Oak caught a Rotom during the events of Gen 5 and then it was in the PokéCorner with him at the end of every episode for like three years). Facially he looks identical to Professor Oak. But then there's his name ... Samson, rather than Samuel. And there's his bronze skin color, intense Alola suntan or no. And then of course there's his long white hair, something Oak has never been seen with in any of his appearances in other games. So is this his brother? An identical twin, maybe? Or is it the actual Professor Oak? Or maybe ... is it Professor Oak from another dimension? o.o Is that where we're going with this plot here? "Samson Oak" is the Professor Oak of the Sun and Moon dimension whereas "Samuel Oak" is the Professor Oak of the RBYGSCRSEDPPt universe? Only time will tell. I really hope we're not Legend of Zelda'ing the Pokémon timeline 'cause I really don't want to have to deal with that headache. But if we are, we are, and it'll be a crazy ride.

The Princess in Rags: So we meet a girl who identifies as royalty, saying her dad was the former king (lol what) and I guess then that would make her a princess. She explains that the monarchy is no more, but like ... If Alola is meant to be anything like Hawaii in real life, then wouldn't the last monarch have to have ruled some 150-200 years ago? I mean ... Is she a ghost? XD 'Cause that was my first impression when I first saw her -- "Ghost-type Gym Leader." Maybe she's a ghost. I dunno. Regardless, I feel like she'll end up tying in somehow to any possible crossovers between this game's plot and XY's.

The book in the library: Pretty interesting. It's an alien concept to me to think of "Pokémon that aren't really Pokémon" / "Pokémon from another dimension/reality", but it looks like that's what we're dealing with here now in our canon. The Tapus appear to be creatures from another dimension ... and the box cover legendaries, I'm not sure on the interpretation there, whether they're wormhole aliens too or whether they're locals who just so happened to pwn the Tapus. But regardless, we've got this weird thing going on where the Tapus fight the box covers and then the box covers, despite emerging victorious/undefeated, decide to gift the Tapus with god-like powers, or something. I dunno. I'm still really early into this plot development.
Old 12-13-2016, 03:07 AM   #182
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

(Spoilered due to image size)

There! I just made everyone's life so much better.
big bad birtha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 05:40 AM   #183
Ironthunder
The Uncultured One

Send a message via Skype™ to Ironthunder
Regarding Talon's stuff (No actual plot spoilers, just some pre-release info to clarify):
Samson Oak is Professor Oak's cousin.
Old 12-13-2016, 09:53 AM   #184
deoxys
Fog Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironthunder View Post
Regarding Talon's stuff (No actual plot spoilers, just some pre-release info to clarify):
Samson Oak is Professor Oak's cousin.
Talon, I would read this. It's something the game will never actually divulge to you and you would only know about it if you had kept up with pre-release promotions prior to the game's launch, and it will clear up a misconception you currently have.
Old 12-13-2016, 05:24 PM   #185
Lady Kuno
The hostess with the mostess

Quote:
Talon, I would read this. It's something the game will never actually divulge to you and you would only know about it if you had kept up with pre-release promotions prior to the game's launch, and it will clear up a misconception you currently have.
It says it in the game somewhere, cause I avoided all spoilers but learned that in the game. I forgot where, though.

PROUD OWNER OF A MISSINGNO. IN FIZZY BUBBLES
Lady Kuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 05:25 PM   #186
deoxys
Fog Badge

BORKED

Have you guys seen what Pokemon looks like in HD? Holy shit. This is just an example video I found, but there are TONS on YouTube. If this isn't evidence the game is going to be ported to Switch, I don't know what it.
Old 12-13-2016, 05:31 PM   #187
Lady Kuno

There's a bit of code you can do on cfw 3dses to get rid of the black lines around characters. It makes the game look waaaay better.

Old 12-14-2016, 03:46 AM   #188
Escalion
Getting married! :D

Send a message via Skype™ to Escalion
@deoxys: I like that you used a shofu video to make your point cause he's definitely my favorite Pokétuber.

It's quite clear that the games are capable of being of much better quality than what the 3DS is capable of showing. And while I'm not sure if I want to buy a Switch, if there will be a big flagship Pokémon game at release I might just do it.

As for my own progress, I'm one trial ahead of Talon by the looks of it, which made reading his recent posts all the more enjoyable to read as I just have that tad bit more information. I'm quite happy I managed to avoid any plot spoilers so far though, which I didn't with X/Y. I notice I enjoy the game a lot more.

I'm also thinking of bringing my 2DS and 3DS with me on my holiday, even if I don't use it much, I'm sure the kids will enjoy it there and if I switch the games around that are in it now (X in the 2DS and Sun in the 3DS) I keep my own progress and I can let the kids mess around on their own. And if I can stay that one trail ahead of Talon I can enjoy reading his posts too :P

Leveling stays a point for me though. My team is at par with those of the trainers I meet, being around level 34 on average now. And I got my ass handed to me not once but twice by a certain Totem Pokémon. But that's quite fun too, I have to be more tactical than usual even in AI battles. I can't wait fr my Slowpoke to hit level 37 though, she's not really pulling her weight at the moment. I do have a Golisopod in rotation, but I only really use when I need it specifically because else I have too many physical attackers, and Flying / Rock weaknesses on the team.

My team so far in short:
Decidueye
Crabrawler
Lycanroc
Slowpoke
Ribombee
Magneton

In rotation:
Golisopod

I'm thinking of adding a good Poison-type in the mix too. Any suggestions that fit the team?
Old 12-14-2016, 06:10 AM   #189
Missingno. Master
An actual game I made!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Escalion View Post
I'm thinking of adding a good Poison-type in the mix too. Any suggestions that fit the team?
Speaking as someone who's used both Toxapex and Salazzle ingame, I personally say you can't go wrong with either of those. Salazzle in particular would also be a decent Fire-type for your team.
Old 12-14-2016, 06:24 AM   #190
Ironthunder
The Uncultured One

Send a message via Skype™ to Ironthunder
Salazzle is an absolute demon. Would wholeheartedly recommend.
Old 12-14-2016, 03:41 PM   #191
Torkoal Stu
This

I've been progressing super slowly with this game and I just arrived on Island 3.

But I just caught a Komala and it is honestly the star of my team. I love it D:

It makes up for my dissapointment regarding Lycanroc (Midnight) and Toucannon~
Torkoal Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 03:51 PM   #192
PikaGod
Marsh Badge

Komala is surprisingly good, as well as being pretty versatile.
Old 12-14-2016, 09:10 PM   #193
Lady Kuno

I can 100% envision Stu as a Komala person.

Old 12-15-2016, 02:20 PM   #194
Torkoal Stu
This

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Kuno View Post
I can 100% envision Stu as a Komala person.
It might actually be my favourite Gen 7 Pokémon now, followed by Mimikyu~
Old 12-16-2016, 02:09 AM   #195
Escalion
Getting married! :D

Send a message via Skype™ to Escalion
I just got to the fourth island. But in that whole story episode before it I was like "What the fuck, didn't see that coming" pretty much the whole time. Very interesting story so far, wonder where it will go next.

But before I do anything on the last island I'll first train some Pokémon to the required level of roughly 40 like the rest of my team.
Old 12-18-2016, 09:33 AM   #196
Torkoal Stu
This

I finally beat the Ghost trial and caught a Mimikyu~

So now my team is:

Mimikyu (Lv. 32)
Komala (Lv. 41)
Lycanroc (Lv. 41)
Toucannon (Lv. 41)
Salazzle (Lv. 42)
Primarina (Lv. 42)

Still tempted to replace Lycanroc but I feel like I'm so far in now I'm better off holding onto him until the post-game.

The rainy dark route (14?) is my favourite looking route in this game so far, it was just so atmospheric. It reminded me of the creepy ghost forest route in X&Y~
Old 12-19-2016, 01:50 PM   #197
Selena
Aroma Lady

Finished Sun, no to get the battle tree going. I'm dissapointed that there are no special wallpares available for the ingame pc after beating the E4, always used those to mark my comp boxes from dex filler.

B- grade ref.
Quote:
Originally Posted by empoleon dynamite View Post
Shouldn’t the Hoff be doing something if he’s still around? I have strict rules about leaving the pool, and I’m sure vanishing the pool out of existence breaks those rules in some way :P
Selena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 10:33 AM   #198
Torkoal Stu
This

Finished.

Spoilered thoughts of the game:

Story: The story I think actually turned out to be pretty weak, it had quite a nice build all the way through and then when it got to the big climax it felt a little...lacking? I thought it was silly (in true Pokemon fashion) how Lusamine fuses with that ultra beast and instead of just tearing you apart with her 7 tentacles decides to engage with you in a Pokemon battle xd; but whatever. The character designs were cool though.

Team Skull were a bit silly, but I liked the bit of the game where you go to Po Town and fight them. I think I liked that more than the actual game endgame.

Pokemon: The new Pokemon are such a mixed bag. Lots of really cool new designs (Komala, Mimikyu) and I can see why they are adding fewer and fewer to these new games. I can't believe the Pokemon total is now over 800, to prevent over stuffing we are probably only ever going to get 50-80 new Pokemon per generation from here on out. The new Pokemon regional forms are pretty cool though in the end, I loathed most of them during the pre-release but actually Ninetales, Marowak and Raichu all aesthetically and thematically really work. I'm less fussed on Golem and Exeggutor but whatever. Shame that mostly they aren't much of an improvement for the actual Pokemon.

I regret not choosing Rowlet though D:

Region: At first I was really overwhelmed by the look of the region. It had such a strong flavour, and felt like a really well thought out. I found certain elements to be half-baked though, like lots of areas were small or only a few intractable elements in them. Not to mention there are some towns and cities they have very few buildings. But everything looked really beautiful. I adored the dark rainy Ghost trial route with the abandoned shop and the snowy mountain route.

Other: No HMs is the best~
Z moves aren't as obnoxious as I thought they would be to be fair.
Not to mention collecting Zygarde cores and cells ended up being quite a fun little side challenge.

Overall I enjoyed it more than B/W and X/Y.

I think I'm going to play through it again and explore even deeper. There are lots more of new Pokemon I want to take the time to search out and catch and train up.
Old 12-21-2016, 12:05 PM   #199
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

Actually (major plot spoilers)
when I saw Lusamine transform, I was hoping I would directly fight her. I was thinking "OH SHIT! IMMA GONNA KICK HER ASS!". Sadly her transformation was just for show. Would have been super nice if I could have caught her. I would have so much fun with her in Refresh.

I was going to replay the game with some imported 'mons, but Pokebank won't work with Sun/Moon until next month. Sending over all those Abra will make nature hunting so much easier.
big bad birtha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 04:22 PM   #200
Shuckle
Problematic Fave

I really liked how I felt like I could stock a team completely of cool Alola pokemon and still have more to discover, especially thanks to the regional variants. XY and BW both gave you really lackluster options for the early game (meowstic, diggersby, florges, musharna, unfezant, etc.) and SM has stuff like Wishiwashi and Wimpod available fairly early so I always felt like I had access to something that was reasonably powerful and interesting and new, as well as the option of picking up something like Abra or Drowzee if I wanted to.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON