UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON

Old 12-20-2012, 10:43 PM   #1
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Monotype a Pokemon

As fans, we often talk about Pokémon whose types we think GameFreak got wrong. The most common complaints that I see are that the designers got a secondary typing wrong or that a monotyped Pokémon should have had a particular secondary typing. Occasionally you'll also see fans argue that someone's type (or types) are just completely wrong. But how often do we as fans argue that a specific dual typed Pokémon should've been a monotype? Here's your chance to challenge yourself with that question. If you could turn any Pokémon with two types into a Pokémon with only one type, who would it be, what type would you make it, and why?

For example, you might argue that Girafarig should never have been Psychic/Normal because there's nothing normal about him! Or you might argue that Gyarados should've just been plain Water because he doesn't really do anything aerial to earn that Flying typing. Maybe you'd make Onix lose his secondary Ground typing because you hate the weaknesses it incurs for him and his evolution Steelix and you don't feel like the added STAB on Earthquake is worth it. There are loads of possible answers to choose from, but it'll depend on you to find the one Pokémon you most badly want to turn into a monotype.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 12:30 AM   #2
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

Aggron because Rock just straight up cripples it.

It's a pretty awesome Pokemon who is held back by its pretty shitty defensive typing, which is really sad because Steel is so awesome. I guess it would lose some valuable Rock-typed STAB, but it's a small price to pay for some much-needed staying power.

私のことを消して本気で愛さないで 恋なんてただのゲーム 楽しめばそれでいい
閉ざした心を飾る 派手なドレスも靴も 孤独の友達

asbwffb

[jerichi]
Jerichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 01:20 AM   #3
Slash
Silver LO

Send a message via Yahoo to Slash Send a message via Skype™ to Slash
Aggron, of course.

The Geodude line should have been something like Rock/Fighting, but, failing that, Pure Rock is still great, much better than Rock/Ground.

Delibird to pure Ice.

I also don't think Archen should be part Flying, but the jury's out on Archeops, for me.
KAIRNE I WILL RIP OFF YOUR SCROTUM AND FEED IT TO YOU THROUGH A FUCKING SWIRLY STRAW.

Slash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 01:35 AM   #4
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

The problem is, for the most part, most of the Pokemon and their types match. Even if we do complain about it, they're for the most part accurate. If we would ever change something, it's usually an additional type, not a type removal.

Cloyster is one on my list. Aesthetically, there's nothing Ice about it. We don't look at Cloyster and think "Yeah, he's totally an Ice type!" where so many others are.

Roselia (and her pre/evolutions) should be pure grass since roses have no poison whatsoever not counting allergens. And if we did count that, then like everything could potentially be considered poison type.

Beyond that, nothing really.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 01:56 PM   #5
Shuckle
Problematic Fave

Nidoking/queen are randomly poison/ground? I mean, STAB ground is nice, but they don't have anything to do with it...?

Weedle and Kakuna. Why are they poison anyway when Caterpie and Metapod are not?

Emboar whyyyyyy

Venusaur. Victreebell.
Old 12-21-2012, 03:50 PM   #6
XanderKetsu
Rainbow Badge

Send a message via AIM to XanderKetsu Send a message via Skype™ to XanderKetsu
Aggron, as said. Gyarados, as also said. New to the table, Jirachi and Lucario. Why the frick are they Steel?

DAMMIT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Char View Post
Or...do you?
XanderKetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 06:13 PM   #7
Mercutio
Banned

Every Normal/Flying type except the Togekiss line.
Mercutio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 06:21 PM   #8
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Wait, what? A fairy egg baby is more "normal" to you than a pigeon, a sparrow, or a starling? If you want to de-Normalize the birds, believe me, I am a-okay with that given the continued existence of "Flying" as a typing; but to suggest that Togekiss is the only "normal" Flyer of the bunch strikes me as peculiar.
Old 12-21-2012, 06:35 PM   #9
Emp
Volcano Badge

I don't think the Normal type is synonymous with ordinary. Whilst a lot of common species are normal (Rattata, Herdier etc.) a lot of normal types are fairy-like such as Clefairy, Audino and Togetic.

Whilst I wouldn't want to change Tropius' typing, being part flying really doesn't make sense. It should've just been a Grass type that could learn Fly.

FB PASBL TL 4

26-4-0 KO74 TP208
B Ref SP 2

Emp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 06:52 PM   #10
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by empoleon dynamite View Post
I don't think the Normal type is synonymous with ordinary. Whilst a lot of common species are normal (Rattata, Herdier etc.) a lot of normal types are fairy-like such as Clefairy, Audino and Togetic.
True about the Clefairies and the Jigglies, but still. This is the type associated with domesticated dogs (Granbull) vs. wolves (Dark's Poochyena), the type associated with domesticated cats (Delcatty, Persian) vs. wild cats (Electric's Luxray, Dark's Liepard), with farm animals like cattle (Tauros, Miltank, Afrobull), it's definitely got a lot of normalness to it. But you're absolutely right that Lickitung isn't exactly a "normal" critter, and he's Gen 1. Likewise for Chansey. Anyway, I just find it odd that he would want to leave Togekiss as Normal but not any of the others. If it's on the basis of "Normal == Faerie in my headcanon" then one might as well save that rhetoric for another day when we discuss creating new types or cannibalizing old types into rechristened types. ;D

I mean, I don't think it's an oversight on their part that they went and made all of the non-legendary birds in Gen 1 part-Normal. That was their way of clearly saying, "These are ordinary birds. They are not exotic. If you want exotic, check out Articuno, Zapdos, and Moltres." It's just that as we moved forward, and we finally started getting non-legendary fliers who were typed non-Normal, that the old Normal/Flying Pokémon seemed forgotten by time.

Kush: My point exactly. Retype them. Bring them into the here and now.

*shrug*, like I said, I'm not against the retyping all the other birds. It just struck me as very strange to leave Togekiss of all things in there. ^^;

Quote:
Originally Posted by empoleon dynamite View Post
Whilst I wouldn't want to change Tropius' typing, being part flying really doesn't make sense. It should've just been a Grass type that could learn Fly.
IIRC, in Colosseum Tropius is depicted as preferring to fly in the air in between turns rather than wait on the ground. So he's pretty aerial. Tropius is such a weird Pokémon anyway though. "Hey, look at me! I'm a chocolate brown brontosaurus with bananas for a gullet and palm fronds for wings!" So strange. ^^;
Old 12-22-2012, 12:01 AM   #11
Emi
Barghest Barghest Barghe-

Send a message via Skype™ to Emi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuckle View Post
Nidoking/queen are randomly poison/ground? I mean, STAB ground is nice, but they don't have anything to do with it...?

Weedle and Kakuna. Why are they poison anyway when Caterpie and Metapod are not?

Emboar whyyyyyy

Venusaur. Victreebell.
The weedle and Kakuna one makes no sense. Of course there are some larvae that are poisonous and some that are not.

Victreebell makes no sense either because of the whole acid thing.

The one I would probably want to see monotyped would be Rhydon. Other than a rather thick exoskeleton, there really is not too much rocky about him.
Old 12-22-2012, 12:13 AM   #12
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I think people might have gotten the wrong idea. The thread title says Monotype a Pokémon, not Monotype ten Pokémon. ^^; Now, you guys are having fun, so if you want to list 3-4 things and not just one, be my guest. But retyping things? C'mon, guys, let's at least stay on topic. I even say in the opening post, "Occasionally you'll also see fans argue that someone's type (or types) are just completely wrong," indicating we as a fandom do this far too often as is and we don't need to be doing it yet again in this thread.

Some have told me that this thread poses a challenging problem. Well, yes, I realize it does! But that was why I wanted to explore it. And I suspect it's also the reason why we as a fandom so rarely explore it. It's so much easier to turn a monotype into a dual type. Or to argue that someone's typing is wrong. But to reduce a dual type to a monotype, without arguing for a complete type change? That's pretty unheard of. But challenge yourself! See if there's some Pokémon you feel should not have been made a dual type, and state your reasons why.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON