UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON

Old 10-15-2014, 11:26 AM   #3476
Rangeet
Foot, meet mouth.

Send a message via MSN to Rangeet Send a message via Skype™ to Rangeet
I'll be honest, Smogon is the largest collection of simulator-using competitive Pokemon players by far. To completely shrug them off is to be a fool, if you ask me.
Old 10-15-2014, 11:36 AM   #3477
Shuckle
Problematic Fave

Also they are doing dumb things and that makes us angry.
Old 10-15-2014, 06:18 PM   #3478
Mercutio
Banned

So create your own league.
Mercutio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 06:32 PM   #3479
Emi
Barghest Barghest Barghe-

Send a message via Skype™ to Emi
UPN is far too uncommitted to do that.

So while that probably voids our right to do complain, I'm still going to.
Old 10-15-2014, 09:20 PM   #3480
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Wherein my opponent has a nasty supwise in store for me. (Random Battle, 26 turns)

Spoiler: show
That Spinda, I swear. If I hadn't've battled as I did with the Tyranitar-now-Leafeon switch, I probably would've been swept by his team. Absolutely could not let Tyranitar die. Thank goodness I didn't.

I think my Elo of 1850 is a personal best. :o Not sure, but I have no memory of ever getting a score that high since the Great Smogon Score Reset. I definitely had scores this high before the reset, but back then laddering worked differently.

Will probably hop over to another account so as to not lose this beautiful baby so soon, but here's hoping I can push one of the accounts over the 1900 hump and join Daisy and Red in the 1900s Club.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 10:56 PM   #3481
Shuckle
Problematic Fave

You're welcome for defeating that horrible supwise!
Old 10-16-2014, 11:44 AM   #3482
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Wherein rhapsodeus sends out Asmodeus. (Random Battle, 26 turns)

Sharing this battle for two reasons mostly. First, yay me! Suisho's now at 1850. With Juisho at 1846 and Zuisho at 1783, the three accounts are collectively right where I want 'em (and beyond!). Will hop over to Zuisho next, I guess, since that's the most logical choice in need of score improvement.

But second, and more importantly, sharing this battle because I thought the team I was randomly assigned was fun and body-colors colorful. I don't know how well they'd do you in a standard tier battle, but give 'em a try if you like. I'll share their moves for you now:

Magmortar @ Focus Sash: Fire Blast, Will-o-Wisp, Thunderbolt, HP:Ice
Galvantula @ Choice Specs: Thunder, Bug Buzz, HP:Ice, Energy Ball
Lucario @ Lucarionite: ExtremeSpeed, Aura Sphere, Flash Cannon, Close Combat
Chandelure @ I forget: Fire Blast, Shadow Ball, HP:something (Ground, I think), I forget
Fearow @ Choice Band: Double Edge, Quick Attack, two things I forget
Whimsicott @ Leftovers iirc: Tailwind, Memento, Leech Seed, Toxic

The Chandelure had Flame Body; I was surprised when Shadow Tag didn't work and then remembered that Chandelure doesn't have Shadow Tag anymore in Gen VI. -.-

Magmortar ended up being the offensive MVP of the match; Whimsicott was probably the MVP overall for the final third of the game given what it gave my team and what it denied his; and Lucario proved clutch with his ability to 2HKO Bronzong and outspeed it despite paralysis. (Obviously you can't run Mega Lucario in the normal Smogon tiers but still you can give this a try with regular Lucario.)

Wherein I take on a 2000! (Random Battle, 29 turns)

And I win! :o Zuisho's Elo now sits at 1855 while gamer123, who had been at the incredibly impressive score of 2013, is brought down to 1983. I apologized to him for the huge drop in his score, the result of losing to a player officially ranked so far beneath him. Small comfort, I'm sure, but I hope it's the thought that counts. 2013 would have seen him be at 7th place on the Random Battle ladder, an amazing position. 1983 sees him fall to 10th place, still remarkable. As for me, an 1855 only puts me at 179th place. ^^; For comparison, the lowest score on the ladder currently, at 500th place, is 1780. So competition has gotten pretty fierce to make Top 500 these days -- only the best of the best will make it into the Top 100. :o

That or we regulars just have a crapton of alts. -.- ^^;

Comments for this match? Hmm ...
  • I was really proud of my Wobbuffet plays all game. The first one with his Spinda stood out the most. But another good one was the time with Meowstic-M where I simultaneously wore down the Light Screen clock and trapped him into dying to his burns. And I was also quite pleased with the Air Slash prediction on Shaymin-S + Mirror Coat for the KO. And the similar case of Knock Off + Counter against Beedrill. (Hooray for no Mega Beedrill X-Scissor there! \o/ )
  • I was worried all game he'd try to put me in a corner where he had a free opportunity to Dragon Dance up with Tyrantrum. Either he lacked the move or else he never went for it. He didn't get many chances at it though.
  • I had an Exeggutor waiting in the wings. Wouldn't have been a great matchup for his team, really. Especially not once the only Trick Room he ever gifted me went away.
  • I was willing to lose Mega Abomasnow as I did specifically because I knew I could fall back on Vanilluxe later.

NEVER SURRENDER. (Random Battle, 23 turns)

Ever wanted to watch a game go from 6-6 to 3-6 to 2-4 to 1-0? Well now's your chance!

Man, this was one hell of a come-from-behind win, not so much in terms of performance as in terms of odds. To be 3-6 (and for your active guy to be badly injured) only to still end up winning, it doesn't happen very often. But to be 2-4 and still win? That's really rare. I was especially scared because:
  • Stunfisk's movepool was awful for this situation (Stealth Rock, Rest, Toxic, and Earth Power. So basically "Please laugh at me, Flying types!" if he had had any.)
  • Heatran wasn't much prettier. (Roar, Substitute, Fire Blast, and Earth Power.)
  • And he had a Florges, a Special Defense wall that typically comes with Aromatherapy.
Luckily for me, his Florges was just as crappy as my Stunfisk -- its set was Moonblast, Psychic, Calm Mind, and Toxic! This meant that it had no means of recovery (no Wish or Rest) and no means of ridding itself of Toxic (no Aromatherapy or Rest).

Lumineon fans will enjoy the first third of this match, even if I'm the one on the receiving end of its terror spree.

And goddammit, Crawdaunt! I ask you to do one thing -- be faster than a Lumineon after a Dragon Dance -- and you can't even do that for me!

I've mentioned the power of Tailwind and Taunt on Gebebo's Aerodactyl before. Here's some more evidence of this for you. (VGC 2014, 8 turns)

Technically seven, I guess? He forfeits on Turn 8. But it also would have ended on Turn 8, so ...

A Tailwind on Turn 1, a Focus Sash, and a Tailwind on Turn 5 see me at 2x speed for the entirety of this match. With no Tailwind on his side of the field to match, and no priority attacks, he's placed on the defensive the entire time. And as you can see, his team isn't really designed to be on the defensive.

"How about now?" (VGC 2014, 6 turns)

One reason for sharing it was because of the brief conversation that took place. :p

Another is because this battle sees Juisho making the 1500 cutoff with a final score of 1517.

And a third is to expound upon the second: it was definitely my old team holding me back, it seems, given how quickly I managed to get Juisho up to 1500 following on the heels of doing the same for Zuisho. This despite the fact that for six months I'd never been able to keep any account in the 1400s for very long, much less reach the 1500s. If anyone who does much VGCing wants to give Gebebo's team a try, then by all means, take it for a test spin. I'll probably try to retire from using it soon since it still doesn't feel 100% like the team meant for me, but I can't deny that the team has done me right this past week.

Wherein Espeon shows off its magic tricks. (Random Battle, 15 turns)

I win 5-3 by forfeit thanks to the amazing powers of an Espeon with Wish, Substitute, Psyshock, and Shadow Ball. It doesn't hurt that I had a Genesect as well. :p

Random Battle Elo score of 1871. A personal best under the current system. Just a few steps away from 1900 potentially! My current score puts me in 139th place on the ladder.

Wherein Noctowl is given a chance. (Random Battle, 27 turns)

Turn 25, my opponent grows impatient and just wants to end it with Dragalge's Thunderbolt. This impatience is what cost him/her the match. I felt bad for them, but I was happy for myself to have achieved a personal record score of 1885. Still though: anyone who watches this match can see as well as I can that it was a close game right on up 'til the very end and then when it was 1-2 it was pretty much my opponent's victory.

Wherein Ledian Ledi-can. (Random Battle, 15 turns)

Win by forfeit, 5-4, with two layers of spikes on his side of the field and a Light Screen on my side. Keldeo and Substitute are like bread and jam; I was honestly surprised when he hit me with Icy Wind instead of subbing straight away. Encoring him into Substitute broke his spirit and that was game. ^^;

Current scores.

Last edited by Talon87; 10-17-2014 at 06:14 PM.
Old 10-18-2014, 03:43 AM   #3483
hen da man
Rainbow Badge

Send a message via MSN to hen da man
JUMPLUFF THOUGH

In a Random Battle, turn 12 send in Jumpluff with 4 left for each side. Jumpluff sweeps a Steelix, Minun, Wormadom-S and Klefki through stalling with Leech Seed, Synthesis, Giga Drain, Encore and Leftovers. Not that impressive considering the Pokemon it was up against but I don't stall ever so it was fun :P

Also just used a Mega Swampert against a Mega Metagross in a Random Battle so they have already included the new mega evo's.

Daisy is just the best for making the battlecut!

I am now a C+ ref!!

PASBL 2.0 Test Squad

FB
Fizzy Bubbles
- Houndour - Lv. 12
- Heracross - Lv. 12
- Murkrow - Lv. 5

A great quote from Tdos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyranidos View Post
I think i catch my typos but i keep typoing my typos so then i just dont even bother trying toc rrecty them because i will jeust keep typoing forever

edit: also any kids reading this dont drink it fucks u pyour brannreal bad

Last edited by hen da man; 10-18-2014 at 05:29 AM.
hen da man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 05:39 AM   #3484
hen da man
Rainbow Badge

Send a message via MSN to hen da man
Mega Rayquaza hahaha

Umbreon saves the day!

More stalling but this time from Umbreon. Last man left and he takes out a Cresselia and Darkrai by himself. It was beautiful.

Daisy is just the best for making the battlecut!

I am now a C+ ref!!

PASBL 2.0 Test Squad

FB
Fizzy Bubbles
- Houndour - Lv. 12
- Heracross - Lv. 12
- Murkrow - Lv. 5

A great quote from Tdos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyranidos View Post
I think i catch my typos but i keep typoing my typos so then i just dont even bother trying toc rrecty them because i will jeust keep typoing forever

edit: also any kids reading this dont drink it fucks u pyour brannreal bad

Last edited by hen da man; 10-18-2014 at 06:12 AM.
hen da man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 12:03 PM   #3485
Heather
Naga's Voice

Umbreon has so much stall potential its not even funny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTheFishGuy View Post
Quoth the Honchkrow (nevermore!).
Fizzy Member Post: Catherine Park
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 12:13 PM   #3486
DaisyInari
Sarasaland represent!

Send a message via MSN to DaisyInari
Altaria

I need a lucky cat to help with those unlucky flinches \o/

My opponent shed a tear because I knocked them out of 2000 xd; Sucks to be them!

Hi, I'm Daisy!

W(DQ)- 22(3) L(DQ)-14(0)
KO-55
TP-131 SP- 64.5/96.5 (5SP to Deh, 5SP to FW, 5SP to Desert Spirit, 8.5SP to Fallen Icarus, 10SP to Kyro12, 8SP to Charminions, 10 to aposteriori)
SHUCKS I GOTTA FIX THIS SOMETIME
~TL3~

~Fizzy Bubbles~

Credits to Charm for making this!

Come, my birdies!!!! Mwahahahaha!!!!!!

Thanks Pingu for being so nice and making me this~

Credit to TheKnightsFury for the sprite!

Fear my abnormally large signature~

Be Positive Ref~ I <3 you, Lonely Cubone and those who eval'd me~
DaisyInari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 12:20 PM   #3487
Emi

WAS THAT SOME MEGA SALAMENCE I SAW THAR
Old 10-18-2014, 01:47 PM   #3488
Raves
a quick fly cuppa

Location: Life and love make fools of us all. Gods reject the existence of love and life.
Send a message via Skype™ to Raves
Oh god those new mega sprites

Unruly Premonition.
Raves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 03:09 PM   #3489
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by seakittenyfool View Post
Oh god those new mega sprites
The laughter.

Sprite artist who is probably also a very nice person:
Talon: I'm sorry.
^^; It's just that static, frontward-facing sprites look terrible compared with what we've been used to now for the past nine months.

If I didn't know any better, I'd think it was a humpy sprite torn out of the ORAS demo. But there shouldn't be any humpy sprites of mega evolutions, so this has to be something made for use outside the game(s).
Old 10-18-2014, 03:12 PM   #3490
Emi

>shouldn't be humpy sprites of mega evolutions

Wait, what happens if you mega evolve and then look at the party?
Old 10-18-2014, 03:20 PM   #3491
DaisyInari
Sarasaland represent!

Altaria

So far I've seen Mega Salamence and Mega Sableye, and both times I've been "whoa :o"

Also! Jolteon saves the day~

Hi, I'm Daisy!

W(DQ)- 22(3) L(DQ)-14(0)
KO-55
TP-131 SP- 64.5/96.5 (5SP to Deh, 5SP to FW, 5SP to Desert Spirit, 8.5SP to Fallen Icarus, 10SP to Kyro12, 8SP to Charminions, 10 to aposteriori)
~TL3~

~Fizzy Bubbles~

Old 10-18-2014, 03:27 PM   #3492
Emi

I'm confused on why you used Crunch again on Gigalith? Did you have nothing else?
Old 10-18-2014, 03:30 PM   #3493
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I was more confused by opting for Zen Headbutt over Drain Punch but attribute it to lack of Drain Punch. Still though: I can't believe he left Lapras out to die like that when he had Slowbro waiting in the wings.
Old 10-18-2014, 10:21 PM   #3494
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Wherein Loki sends his trusted partner to help me take care of business. (Random Battle, 61 turns)

This match starts off kind of rough with some bullshit luck on my opponent's part. He gets Tornadus-T? And Arceus? And just when I think I'm out of the woods with Arceus having been slain, Lanturn arrives to rain all over my parade with Heal Bell.

The match ends up being saved by Dunsparce. He's able to paralyze everybody left standing, give Togekiss a taste of its own flinchhax medicine, withstand Tornadus's assault, and even outmaneuver a rival Recover user in Kecleon. I was fortunate that Kecleon is slower than Dunsparce else I'd have been a goner. I was furthermore fortunate that paralysis hax went pretty easy on me. (Thank you!)

This win puts Juisho at a score of 1878. 1878 is pretty good. Hopefully I can reach 1900!
Old 10-18-2014, 10:33 PM   #3495
DaisyInari
Sarasaland represent!

Altaria

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazeVA View Post
I'm confused on why you used Crunch again on Gigalith? Did you have nothing else?
Aqua Jet, Zen Headbutt, Crunch, and Protect :'D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
I was more confused by opting for Zen Headbutt over Drain Punch but attribute it to lack of Drain Punch. Still though: I can't believe he left Lapras out to die like that when he had Slowbro waiting in the wings.
Bullet Punch, Zen Headbutt, Fire and Ice Punch :'D

Hi, I'm Daisy!

W(DQ)- 22(3) L(DQ)-14(0)
KO-55
~TL3~

~Fizzy Bubbles~

Old 10-19-2014, 11:27 AM   #3496
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Wherein Mega Audino and Mega Latios make their Random Battle debuts for me. (Random Battle, 19 turns)

1889! \o/ One more win and I can hopefully make it to 1900 or above! *crosses fingers*

Leaving Rapidash in like that would have been a much harder decision if I had felt that my team lacked other ways to hit hard while taking hits (e.g. Regice) or to hit hard fast (e.g. Latios). But since I had other options available to me, I opted to feint a switch while staying put for a Drill Run. It worked better than expected thanks to the critical hit, and since he chose to leave Corsola out to die it meant that I was able to remove any possibility of Regenerator shenanigans from his side of the field.

Zekrom lacked Hone Claws, for the record.

Was very happy that he went for Wish rather than Moonblast or some other Fairy-type attack to punish my Outrage. Wish wasn't a terrible choice, but allowing my Zekrom to live like that was one of the things which later on ensured that he had lost the match. (Even if Simisear could have killed Mega Latios, I'd still have had Zekrom to send in for the easy win.)

My other Pokémon were Clawitzer (so slow ;_; ) and Aurorus (also slow, and very fragile ^^; ).

1904! (Random Battle, 25 turns)

The gods handed me an easy win on a silver platter. Weeeeeeeeeeeell ... it didn't quite start off that way. ^^; Dugtrio vs. Sigilyph is hardly what I'd call an ideal lead situation. But I got lucky that my opponent didn't appreciate that Stone Edge has a high critical hit ratio and that he opted to not PP stall me out of it. I got him to around 51% HP or so, I prayed for a critical, and I received. From there on, it really was smooth sailing.

Dugtrio vs. Delcatty was kind of stupid on my opponent's part. And he asked a dumb question too: "how come it attacked? :\" What the heck do you mean, "How come it attacked?" What am I supposed to do? Just keep spamming Substitute forever? You've seen me do nothing but Stone Edge except for Turn 1. Why would you expect me to do a non-attack move now? Weird.

He sends out Samurott and I call Dugtrio back for Water Absorb Lapras to eat the predicted Aqua Jet. And hey look: Aqua Jet.

The battle carries on from here. Nothing really worth noting until we reach Arbok vs. Gourgeist. I expected Gunk Shot to OHKO and so I opted to do an Explosion (even if it was weakened) rather than bother with a Shadow Sneak, Leech Seed, or whatever else it was that I had. I was disappointed to lose Gourgeist the way I did when I saw how little damage Gunk Shot did to him, but I knew I still had a reliable anti-Samurott in Huntail waiting in the wings so I wasn't worried.

Dugtrio vs. Arbok. I fish for either Sucker Punch or a Gunk Shot miss by opting into Substitute. And I get the former. Perfect. He then surprises me by resting, but all it's going to do is cost me my sub, nothing more. Or is it? Surprisingly, I fail to OHKO him with Earthquake. But yeah, Leech Seed finishes the job and indeed all I've lost for this exchange is my substitute. I'm happy with that.

Samurott vs. Dugtrio, I'm ready to let Dugtrio go (rather than risking damage to the others).

Huntail vs. Samurott. He switches out. I Shell Smash.

Huntail vs. Gardevoir. I Return. Barely miss the OHKO.

I Return again. He's down to a 10% HP Samurott. But I lose Huntail to poison damage, and so I'm down to my choice of two: Darmanitan or Swellow.

Not wanting to risk that he had a surprise Rest, I opted to send in Swellow immediately and just finish the job with Quick Attack. Had I lacked Quick Attack, I probably would have done the opposite: sent out Darmanitan to bait him into either losing to his own Life Orb recoil or else bait him into Resting such that I can Earthquake/Superpower him. Would've been less ideal than the Quick Attack scenario though, so I'm grateful that I didn't have to risk it.

Swellow uses Quick Attack and that's game! A somewhat close win of 2-0 but one that felt very much in my control from pretty much Turn 6 onward.

And with this, my Elo score has broken 1900 for the first time since the new points system went into effect! A 1900 by current scoring standards would've been like a 2200 or 2300 under the old system iirc. It's an analogous personal best, thus, and is certainly my personal best in 2014. It puts me in 94th place which is not a personal best for Random Battle under the new system iirc -- we were breaking Top 50 pretty frequently in early 2014 if I recall correctly -- but it's certainly a heck of a place to be making in the current environment. The current highest score on the ladder is 2034, for future reference. The cutoff for 2000 is between 8th and 9th place, with 8th having exactly 2000 points right now and 9th having 1995.

My Glicko right now is 1793 ± 39 which is likewise not a personal best. I forget whether it was Juisho or Suisho, but one of the two accounts had had an established Glicko of greater than 1800 but I lost it after a run of many lost games. It'd be nice if I could get Juisho back above 1800 for the Glicko score but I doubt that even if I could do it temporarily that I could do so for very long. Everyone has winning streaks and everyone has losing streaks; the latter don't have to tank an Elo score forever but they sure do get in the way of a pristine Glicko score. Oh well. We'll see. ^^;

GXE of 83 is pretty awesome. :o

Happy to have accomplished my goal. I guess the next goal is to prove that this wasn't an accident -- by getting Suisho and Zuisho up past 1900 as well.

Wherein I just about have a heart attack. (Random Battle, 19 turns)

I accidentally requested a new battle on impulse minutes after editing in the report above. Before I could cancel, it was too late: I was into a new game. @_@ And that's only the beginning of the horrors that awaited me ...

So, our respective leads are Lickilicky (me) vs. Machamp (him). Greaaaaaaaaaaaaat. -_-;

So I call back Lickilicky and send out Mawile. This should be good, right? Intimidate, neutral to Fighting ... we can save this!

CRITICAL HIT. -_-; Just like that, I have lost my mega evolution for the match. Wonderful. The score is 5-6 and I am feeling so so screwed.

As the match proceeded, this guy managed to throw all manner of threats at me. Choice Specs Palkia ... Aegislash ... Dodrio >_< ... It really is a miracle I didn't lose.

In the end, with the score 2-2, it was his Dodrio out on the field and me having to choose whether I wanted to send out my Lickilicky or my Garbodor. I figured Lickilicky would be better since:
  1. Dodrio might use Roost; if it did, it'd outspeed both of my guys anyway; and that would render Garbodor's Rock Blast pretty moot
  2. Dodrio might use Brave Bird again; if it did, I'd rather have Garbodor at higher health than Lickilicky going into the final fight against Machamp
I think my choice, coupled with his decision to indeed Brave Bird a second time, is what gave me the match. He was low enough on HP at that point that Knock Off was able to cleanly KO him; and Machamp thank the Maker was slower than Lickilicky, meaning that my STAB Explosion got to go off before his DynamicPunch did. I manage to OHKO him (amazing) and that's game.

My Elo is now 1920. O_O My Glicko is 1797 ± 39. GXE is still 83. 422 wins, 322 losses, and 2 ties. Puts me at 64th place on the ladder currently.

*logs out of Juisho immediately*

So Juisho may be doing really hot, but poor Suisho ... I had had all three accounts in the mid-1800s, but Suisho had three or four genuinely unlucky match-ups in a row that plummeted him (err, me) down to the mid-1700s; and from there he got caught in the typical "win one, lose one" cycle of the mid-to-low 1700s. It's been rough.

Wherein I see my first ever Mega Beedrill. (Random Battle, 25 turns)

This match illustrates two things about Mega Beedrill:
  1. that he's going to be a solid Pokémon in Random Battle
  2. that he's going to be kept in check by priority attacks
The problem Mega Beedrill faces is that he will almost never go first on the turn he actually mega evolves (because of how speed works); and thus he has to survive both a first-turn attack and a second-turn priority attack. That priority attack can come on any "second turn," be it the immediate next turn, be it ten turns later, or be it the final turn of the game. So long as he's hit once (the turn he megas) and then hit once again via priority, he's pretty much dead.

One thing Smogon may want to consider for his Random Battle set is to give him a non-direct damage attack for a fourth slot. The reason is simple: Sucker Punch. I banked on him having nothing but direct damage attacks and it looks like I was correct. But this match could have gone very differently had he had something like Toxic or Substitute. He won't be able to do much against the likes of Gale Wings Brave Bird or ExtremeSpeed, but at least letting him outmaneuver Sucker Punch would be something.

I dunno. We'll see. I know that if it were me, I too would put four direct damage attacks on Beedrill for maximum coverage and call it a day. I'm only saying that Smogon may want to consider this since it feels like Sucker Punch is a lot more common in Random Battle than one might think. (Furret, Toxicroak, Bisharp, Yveltal, Spinda, Golem, Honchkrow ...)

This one is just best understood with a picture. (Random Battle, 6 turns)

My first time getting to see a Mega Altaria. I was disappointed when he disconnected the moment I sent it out. But then he came back! And I got to use one attack -- before he disconnected again, this time with a forfeit! ^^;

Is no one going to bump this thread ever again? >_> You're giving me very bad feelings about this short-lived experiment with editing the old post rather than bumping with a new one. Anyway ... Suisho breaks 1900, making the second account to have done so. But with a score of only 1901, it'll decay under 1900 pretty quickly. If I want to be able to claim that I have three concurrent accounts in the 1900s, I'll probably have to play at least one more game on the account to do it.

Decided to risk it. It payed off. Suisho now sits comfortably at 1920, 68th place on the ladder. The guy I was playing, Shiratama, was someone I had played earlier today and had the happy circumstance of winning easily against when I made some bold plays that swung the momentum heavily in my favor. When he saw that that had happened, he forfeit on Turn 3 or 6 of that game, not even willing to try seeing if he could turn things around. And so I knew that if I could do that again, then victory would be mine. I didn't make reckless plays here, but I took advantage of free opportunities to do the unexpected. One such turn came on Turn 9. He had sent in his Pyroar and I had my Bronzong out. Because Bronzong had Earthquake; because I suffered Stealth Rock on my side of the field; and because my team consisted of Bronzong, Mega Aerodactyl, Snorlax, Rotom (regular), and Sawsbuck; I ended up deciding to leave Bronzong out, both as a dual bluff of my own as well as to twice in a row call what I perceived to be his own bluff. And it worked. Turn 1 he Sunny Days rather than going for an immediate fire attack, allowing me to get in the first of two Earthquakes necessary to KO him. Turn 2 I accepted that Bronzong might die to a Fire Blast but was willing to chance that he went for Hyper Voice or some other move instead. Sure enough, he went for Solarbeam: his eyes had been on the Aerodactyl prize with Snorlax as a consolation gift had I switched him in instead. But Bronzong eats up the Solarbeam effortlessly, KOs Pyroar, and that deflates my opponent's motivation so completely that, after one lazy attempt with Parasect, he forfeits the match on Turn 12. Like I said: this play wasn't reckless so much as it was tactical. I didn't have a sure safe switch-in for Rotom (sunny Fire), Aerodactyl (any surprise), Snorlax (any surprise), or Sawsbuck (sunny Fire). And I wasn't willing to lose any of them over losing Bronzong, who had already done his job. Had he lacked Earthquake might I have switched? Maybe. But because he had Earthquake, it was an easy decision to leave him in. "If he dies, better him than any of the other four; and if he lives, then all the better."

So yeah. Juisho's at 1904, Suisho's at 1920, and Zuisho's at 1880. An 1880's respectable, but as it's the lowest of the three that makes the choice clear: back on over to Zuisho I go, attempting to pull off the grand slam of getting all three alts above 1900.

Last edited by Talon87; 10-21-2014 at 12:32 PM.
Old 10-21-2014, 02:51 PM   #3497
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Tired of editing the old post. :p

I achieved an Elo of 1900 in the Random Battle format on all three alts at the same time. Suisho has an Elo of 1920, Juisho has one of 1904, and Zuisho has a score of 1902. This places them at 70th, 92nd, and 96th places on the Random Battle ladder. So I can say ... I have three different accounts in the Top 100!

The bad thing about this is, it's an example of the problem of alts hogging the ladder. There are probably only fifty unique people in the Top 100 right now, maybe even fewer. And I'd easily bet that there are fewer than 250 unique people in the top 500. When skilled players juggle between alts for fear of their best-scoring accounts' scores getting wrecked by a random loss, it means that it's that much harder for still-skilled-but-slightly-less-skilled players to make it onto the ladder.

The good thing about this though is, it demonstrates that it wasn't just a fluke. It's not like I was only able to get one account to 1900 and then that was it. I've managed to get all three of my alts up past 1900. So I'm pleased with that.
Old 10-21-2014, 05:54 PM   #3498
Heather
Naga's Voice

I saw something about Lanturn with Heal Bell ruining your day. Just be glad it didn't have Stockpile and a specially defensive spread. You better have something that can hit hard with Grass to get rid of it or youll be stuck for a long time, and that set can run Scald no issue. My Greninja with 31 in SpAtk (which i got through a trade, althogh it was Timid, not Modest) had to get 3 Dark Pulse CRITS to take one of those out(no HP Grass for me, so...), Aqua Ring and Stockpile with nothing that removes Stockpile is a daunting combo. Add Leftovers...Oh boy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTheFishGuy View Post
Quoth the Honchkrow (nevermore!).
Fizzy Member Post: Catherine Park
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 04:25 AM   #3499
Mercutio
Banned

Can I just say that no-one cares about double or triple posting on UPN, it's not Serebii
Mercutio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 03:42 PM   #3500
Talon87
時の彼方へ

If I've been enjoying success and good fortune in Random Battle recently, in VGC 2014 I've hit a bit of a rough patch. I had had a score of 1509 this morning, but I now have fallen down to the low 1400s. It's a score range I'd have been very happy to have been in only a few months prior, but now that I've managed to reach 1500, the drop to the 1420s does sting.

I've had a few strong losses, but this one in particular stood out to me as one worth sharing with you guys. I'm used to shutting down Trick Room teams with Aerodactyl's Taunt; and I'm used to shutting down Fake Out users with a double Protect (or at least an Aero Protect since he's the target of Fake Out 70% of the time); but against this guy's dual leads of Hariyama and Slowking, I knew I was in trouble before the match even began. "He'll probably Fake Out Aerodactyl; but I'm pretty sure Charizard won't be able to OHKO Slowking with Solarbeam. :\" I had to chance it -- I had to go for Rock Slide + Solarbeam, as neither Protecting nor getting Faked Out would make any difference to the damage Slowking would be taking. Sure enough, he fakes out Aerodactyl. And sure enough, Charizard can't OHKO Slowking.

But I've bounced back from Trick Rooms plenty of times. One of the most successful strategies I know is simply stalling out the clock. But this guy's team was very adequately prepared for even that. There was pretty much nothing I could do to reverse the momentum of the match. From Turn 1 to the final turn, the ball was in his court. A very commanding win by my opponent.

Sharing this one for those of you who are interested in making a Trick Room team that works. I'm sure it's something we've all flirted with from time to time. Well, here's one guy with a Trick Room team that, at least against the team I brought, had an overwhelming advantage.

Gebebo's team (the team I'm using here) lacks anything that is especially physically or specially defensive. From Garchomp and Hydreigon to Aerodactyl and even Mawile, none of them really enjoy taking hits. Mawile's probably the closest thing the team has to a damage sponge but even she would probably be 2HKOed by a Hariyama's Close Combat if not OHKOed. If I had had an Amoongus or something else that walls Fighting and Water well and is a very reliable damage sponge, then maybe. Perhaps it's something to look into. *shrug*

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON