UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON > Rate My Team

Old 07-08-2012, 01:29 AM   #1
Emi
Barghest Barghest Barghe-

Send a message via Skype™ to Emi
My Venusaur team

Hey guys! I want to see what you guys think of this team here!

I created this team because Venusaur needs more love. I think he is a really great sweeper.

Ninetales (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Drought
EVs: 136 HP / 212 SAtk / 120 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Sunny Day
- SolarBeam
- Fire Blast
- Will-O-Wisp

This Ninetales is meant to counter other weather inducers by using Sunny Day. It may seem a bit redundant, but, it allows Ninetales to have a better chance at beating Politoed and Tyranitar. The given EV's allow Ninetales to outspeed Politoed, Tyranitar, and Hippowdon. Solarbeam is there for the extra power it has over Energy Ball, plus the fact that Sun with almost undoubtedly be up. This allows it to inflict very big damage to all three of the most common weather inducers. Fire Blast is for the occasional Abomasnow and for catching Steel types who might think they are going to get a free switch in off guard. Will-O-Wisp makes setting up on Hippodowdon and Tyranitar easier, allowing it to take more than one Earthquake from both of them.

I have had mixed results with this Ninetales. Despite a Modest nature, it lacks quite a bit of power, and, if Politoed has Toxic, it can switch in and out and stall Ninetales out. It also is outsped by much of the OU metagame, which leads to trouble in keeping it alive.

Venusaur (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
- Growth
- Energy Ball
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Fighting]

For some reason PO refuses to see that Giga Drain is a tutor move. This is your standard Special Growth Venusaur, capable of setting up with Growth and sweeping. I use Hidden Power Fighting over Hidden Power Fire because it allows Venusaur to beat Heatran, since that it usually the most common counter.

When this guy sets up he steamrolls through teams. My only difficulty is actually setting him up, and he can be KO'ed somewhat easily.

Latios (M) @ Choice Specs
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Draco Meteor
- Thunderbolt
- Psychic

I wanted to use this Latios to get rid of the other weather inducers, mainly Politoed. Choice Specs gives it the extra power to take down a weakened Tyranitar before it can KO it with Crunch, though, I have to be careful around it. Draco Meteor is STAB and hits Tyranitar hard on the switch, allowing it to be beat later on. Thunderbolt gets rid of Politoed and generally is a bit of a surprise factor. Psychic is a more reliable STAB, though, it does nothing against Tyranitar. HP fighting is obviously for getting rid off Tyranitar.

He has worked well facing all types of Pokemon, though, because Choice Scarf users are really common right now, he has a little trouble getting rid of some threats he would have little problem dealing with otherwise.

Heatran (F) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- Dragon Pulse
- SolarBeam

Speaking of Choice Scarf users, look at what the D/P universe brought in. Somewhat. This allows me to outspeed and get rid off many threats, including Heatran, Lucario, the Lati twins, and Salamence. The moves are designed to hit certain Pokemon. Fire Blast hits like a truck in Sun, giving Heatran dangerous power. Earth Power is for other Heatran and weakened Tyranitar. Dragon Pulse is for Salamence who threatens my team otherwise, as well as the Lati twins, and Solarbeam is for Water types, provided that Sun is up.

Bisharp (F) @ Life Orb
Trait: Defiant
EVs: 132 HP / 172 Atk / 204 SDef
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Thunder Wave
- Pursuit
- Sucker Punch
- Brick Break

I chose Bisharp to get rid of the pesky "pink blob" problem that runs around. It can switch in on Toxic, and gets quite the surprise factor with a powerful Brick Break. Then, use Pursuit when they switch and hopefully seal the deal. Thunder Wave allows it to disable threats like the Lati twins if need be.

While I haven't had to use it with Blissey, he works well on Choiced Pokemon who have been weakened due to his high Attack and STAB Sucker Punch. Works well when he can get in.

Volcarona (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Flame Body
EVs: 240 HP / 216 Def / 52 Spd
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Quiver Dance
- Fiery Dance
- Bug Buzz
- Morning Sun

The MVP of the team, despite it being about Venusaur. While Venusaur can usually only boost once, this Volcarona can easily boost up multiple times. This Volcarona is my best Gengar counter, as it fears nothing from it except the occasional Crit SB. Quiver Dance as far as you can go, then, go hog wild with Fiery Dance. At +3 or higher, it destroys things that resist it. Bug Buzz is for those "just in case moments. Morning Sun heals a lot of HP under Sun, and allows it to boost a lot.

Like I said, he is amazing. The ability to just ignore an opponent and boost in its face cannot be ignored at all. He can turn complete disadvantages into complete wins.

Does anyone see anywhere where I can improved here? I have had moderate success with this team in OU, but would like to do better. Also, it would be good to know if there is any Pokemon that this is horribly weak to at all.
Old 07-08-2012, 08:35 AM   #2
Rangeet
Foot, meet mouth.

Send a message via MSN to Rangeet Send a message via Skype™ to Rangeet
There isn't a pokemon that I can see that this is weak to. However, holy crap this team is entry hazards weak :P

I don't really play anymore but you got two choice users and volcarana and ninetales so you might think about that.
Old 07-08-2012, 08:55 AM   #3
Slash
Silver LO

Send a message via Yahoo to Slash Send a message via Skype™ to Slash
Depending on the speed investment, Chandy could be problematic for your team, with the possibility of neutering your Bisharp with a well-placed burn. He would likely have trouble with little else except maybe a set up Volcarona, but even then, if he's running Flash Fire, who knows?

As well, if you're going fast Ninetales, I would think you'd need Energy Ball over SolarBeam, because, iirc, slowest speed gets weather, and SolarBeam does not like Rain or Sand.

Keep in mind I'm not really a comp guy, just trying to be constructive here
KAIRNE I WILL RIP OFF YOUR SCROTUM AND FEED IT TO YOU THROUGH A FUCKING SWIRLY STRAW.

Slash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 03:27 PM   #4
Emi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangeetsuper View Post
There isn't a pokemon that I can see that this is weak to. However, holy crap this team is entry hazards weak :P

I don't really play anymore but you got two choice users and volcarana and ninetales so you might think about that.
I couldn't find a Rapid Spinner that I liked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kairne View Post
Depending on the speed investment, Chandy could be problematic for your team, with the possibility of neutering your Bisharp with a well-placed burn. He would likely have trouble with little else except maybe a set up Volcarona, but even then, if he's running Flash Fire, who knows?

As well, if you're going fast Ninetales, I would think you'd need Energy Ball over SolarBeam, because, iirc, slowest speed gets weather, and SolarBeam does not like Rain or Sand.

Keep in mind I'm not really a comp guy, just trying to be constructive here
The only Chandy that would give problems is Choiced Chandy. Which is countered by Heatran. Set up Volcarona can possibly do the job without SR.

I've tried Energy Ball, an it does not have the power that i am looking for. Ninetales is too weak without it.
Old 07-08-2012, 04:37 PM   #5
Talon87
時の彼方へ

So why do you run it on Venusaur? ^_^; Go big or go home: OU Venusaur is all about the sunlight. You're gonna get outsped and 2HKO'd in the absence of sun so you might as well bank on the sun being up for Venusaur to be of any use sweeping -- and thus SolarBeam is the better choice over Energy Ball.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 01:50 AM   #6
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
So why do you run it on Venusaur? ^_^; Go big or go home: OU Venusaur is all about the sunlight. You're gonna get outsped and 2HKO'd in the absence of sun so you might as well bank on the sun being up for Venusaur to be of any use sweeping -- and thus SolarBeam is the better choice over Energy Ball.
I think he just defaulted to Energy Ball since PO wouldn't let him have Giga Drain, which would allow for some nice bulky sweeping. But I have to agree- if you can't get Giga Drain, go with SolarBeam. ^_^
People should watch what they enjoy regardless of what others think, even if it's a terribad guilty pleasure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
Though, I also dislike the concept of lamenting the current day while wishing to re-experience the past. At least, my modern attitude is to try and make each new day magical even if it's not, since exclusively reminiscing about the past is too pathetic.
Kindrindra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 01:54 AM   #7
Emi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
The problem is where do I fit it in? I guess I could get rid off Sludge Bomb since Solarbeam will be more possible. I think that is a good plan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindrindra View Post
I think he just defaulted to Energy Ball since PO wouldn't let him have Giga Drain, which would allow for some nice bulky sweeping. But I have to agree- if you can't get Giga Drain, go with SolarBeam. ^_^
Planning on doing just that. But, you guys are the experts here! Is there anything else I could do?
Old 07-09-2012, 03:29 AM   #8
Slash
Silver LO

Send a message via Yahoo to Slash Send a message via Skype™ to Slash
Since HP Fighting is to dissuade Heatran, wouldn't HP Ground do the job better, while also threatening any other (non-Zard) Fires from switching in? It would also help against defensive Poisons hoping to set up on the switch.

I know f-a about IVs, though, so if HP Ground significantly reduces SpA IVs, feel free to disregard this.

Also, was going to point out Sludge Bomb's shite coverage, but there are few other options in the shallow movepool, and the "meh" alternatives all have a bit of a flaw (Sleep Powder: accuracy, Sleep Clause, provides no offense; Leaf Storm: lowers SpA, inefficient long-term...). Synthesis falls into the trap of providing no offense in itself, but may be worth it in trials, deoending on the meta you're facing.
KAIRNE I WILL RIP OFF YOUR SCROTUM AND FEED IT TO YOU THROUGH A FUCKING SWIRLY STRAW.

Slash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 03:35 AM   #9
Emi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kairne View Post
Since HP Fighting is to dissuade Heatran, wouldn't HP Ground do the job better, while also threatening any other (non-Zard) Fires from switching in? It would also help against defensive Poisons hoping to set up on the switch.

Skarmory then completely walls this set. As well as Ferrothorn.

I know f-a about IVs, though, so if HP Ground significantly reduces SpA IVs, feel free to disregard this.

Also, was going to point out Sludge Bomb's shite coverage, but there are few other options in the shallow movepool, and the "meh" alternatives all have a bit of a flaw (Sleep Powder: accuracy, Sleep Clause, provides no offense; Leaf Storm: lowers SpA, inefficient long-term...). Synthesis falls into the trap of providing no offense in itself, but may be worth it in trials, deoending on the meta you're facing.
I've used Sleep Powder, but, it needs a slot. When PO finally decides to allow Giga Drain, there is no point for Synthesis.
Old 07-09-2012, 08:49 AM   #10
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Why are you mentioning deleting Sludge Bomb for SolarBeam? We were saying get rid of Energy Ball for SolarBeam.

Sludge Bomb is honestly a pretty decent move, all the more so if he's planning on using Growth. More things resist Grass than are immune to or resist Poison -- Steel is a problem for both, so is Bug, and the only other thing in Poison's way is fellow Poison whereas Grass still has to worry about Fire, Dragon, and Flying. Sure, Steel is immune to Poison, but just think of all the things which 4x resist Grass. Some of them, like Skarmory and Heatran, are also part-Steel; but some of them, like Dragonite and Volcarona, are not and would at least take somewhat more damage (Volcarona) if not a hell of a lot more damage (Dragonite) from Sludge Bomb. Obviously, though, you always want to go with SolarBeam over Sludge Bomb provided (1) you have the sun up and (2) the enemy is as weak to or weaker to Grass than they are Poison.

Like Kairne, I'm not sure why you'd go for Fighting over Ground if your reasoning is "Must kill Heatran." The Hidden Powers tend to be pretty weak outside of hitting things that are 4x weak to them (see: the wild success of HP:Ice) and I'm having a hard time believing that you're going to successfully call a Heatran switch-in and HP:Fighting when you otherwise would have SolarBeamed or Sludge Bombed. Even with you going first, is HP:Fighting really going to be enough to OHKO Heatran? Assuming it doesn't, he then Overheats (or whatever other Fire move) you for the certain one-hit kill and out you go. Now, I do realize that you probably intend to do this:
  1. switch Venusaur in against something he can wall and maul
  2. Growth on their all-but-certain switch out
  3. hit Heatran with a singly Growth'd HP:Fighting
But I guess I still wonder if that can be enough to OHKO.

One reason not to pursue HP:Ground after all is the fact that Heatran might carry a Shuca Berry but he's rarely going to be carrying a Chople Berry. So there's that.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 07:55 PM   #11
Emi

It's been a while since this team has been in the field, but, I found a new version which I think is better.

Belle (Ninetales) (F) @ Life Orb
Trait: Drought
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Modest Nature (+Sp. Atk, -Atk)
- Nasty Plot
- Fire Blast
- Energy Ball

I tried this set out after I saw it on Smogon, and I have to say, so much better than Sunny Day Tales. With a +2 Energy Ball, I have a really large chance of OHKOing SpecsToed without Stealth Rock, and also physically defensive Toed. Specially defensive Toed needs a little more support in, but an Energy Ball before hand can usually seal the deal later on. +2 HP fighting OHKOs all Tyranitar, even the Bulkiers ones, in Sun. while in Sanstorm, the specially Bulky ones need Stealth Rock and a little damage to seal the deal, but that is not hard at all. +2 Fire Blast roasts even the most specially defensive Hippowdon. Abomasnow is KOed anways. ^.^ so good at getting surprise KOes on offensive Tran, while Specially Defensive Tran has to tread carefully. So much better for the team.

Raffle (Venusaur) (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Chlorophyll
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
- Growth
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Hey look, standard Venusaur. Well, with giga Drain, it can set up on Blissey and Chansey, something only a few other Special Pokemon, like Hydreigon and Thundurus-T can boast. Once sun is up, he tears through teams. It is actually easier to set him up than it was before.

Susan (Lucario) (M) @ Focus Sash
Trait: Steadfast
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Bullet Punch
- Ice Punch

I LOVE SUSAN!!!! <3 She is my best answer to Terrakion, though, I can't switch her in. Nobody expects Sash, which has led to so many surprise sweeps even without SD. Bullet Punch deals with Terrakion easier.

Cannonbolt (Donphan) (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Ice Shard
- Earthquake
- Rapid Spin
- Stealth Rock

He is so-so. Can defeat something like Garchomp one on one, since very few people are using SD, because everyone wants to use ScarfOrus and ScarfGon to beat him. So, I can tank hits well. Rapid Spin makes it easier for susan, and Stealth Rock helps Belle.

Spindry (Rotom-W) @ Choice Specs
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Hydro Pump
- Trick

Hydro pump in the SUN? Yep. Politoed is often paired with Thundurus-T, so, a Quick Hydro Pump blasts him out forever. Then, it is a game of cat and mouse with Volt Switch, putting pressure on the Rain team till it breaks.

FW Bane (Heatran) (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Mild Nature (+SAtk, -Def)
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- Dragon Pulse
- Flame Charge

So straightfoward, but so good. This thing has an odd damage output on blissey with flame Charge. If its is Tricked, consider it gone. (29.14 - 34.5%) A +1 Tran that can switch moves. YES PLEASE!

I think this has done better than the other versions, which has used Arcanine, Scizor, and Forretress.
Old 10-25-2018, 12:36 PM   #12
Psilo
Pokemon Trainer

Hey, Emi, this team is awesome. And it reminds me of a team I gave you back when we used to play more together back on Serebii. I'm really glad you were inspired by that, and I'm very flattered, if that's what you were inspired by. This team really impressed me, and even made and makes me want to use it on the ladder myself because it's so good, and there's nothing wrong with it at all. So much so that, I don't even see how one could make suggestions to it.
-Psilo
Psilo is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON > Rate My Team