UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime

Old 01-22-2008, 01:17 AM   #51
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Re: Touhou

The video was so good I went through and saved a lot of the Walfas flash files. Most of them are a bit too "stupid crazy humor" for my tastes, but man, that MoF one you linked me to was excellent. I loved ...

- how long it was
- how many girls it included
- how many running gags it included
- how it played off of the whole "What personalities do the MoF girls have?" dilemma facing the Touhou community (and me as a confused Touhou newb!)

It was just so good. The only joke I really didn't get was Marisa's narcissism. (She never struck me as narcissistic in IaMP or MoF, but maybe I wasn't paying close enough attention.) Other than that ... Ran, check, Cirno, check, Sakuya, check, ... quite the video.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 02:34 AM   #52
The Morg
Trying to send Christmas cards

I don't know what's scarier, the fact that you guys are posting stuff that my RL friends have created, or the fact that my friends have created such things in the first place.

*munch munch* | FB Profile
The Morg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 03:31 AM   #53
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by dosuser
I don't know what's scarier, the fact that you guys are posting stuff that my RL friends have created, or the fact that my friends have created such things in the first place.
WHAT.

??????????????????o_o ???????????

Actually, rather than a signature, can I ask you to ask your friend to somehow include the word "Talon" (even if it is briefly pointing to like a hawk's talons or something, a hawk that Reimu sets on fire or something) in his next video? That would make ... my ... week.

Also pass along the word that one of your friends really, really likes his Yukari jokes (involving Ran, involving Yukari on her own ... Yukari rocks!). More [strike:1c89a13k]Ovaltine[/strike:1c89a13k] Yukari, please! :3
Old 01-22-2008, 03:37 AM   #54
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger

There's a lot of Touhou talk and I don't have time to read it all! So I'll just ask - Talon, BBB, what Touhou games are you two playing right now?
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 09:14 AM   #55
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger
There's a lot of Touhou talk and I don't have time to read it all! So I'll just ask - Talon, BBB, what Touhou games are you two playing right now?
I haven't played the games in a few days not for lack of interest but for lack of time. However, the games I have been playing and have been most interested in conquering are:
- Immaterial and Missing Power (Touhou 7.5 but released irl after
- Mountain of Faith (Touhou 10)

IaMP is a fighter created in part by Team Shanghai Alice and in part by Tasogare Frontier (the makers of BBB's Eternal Fighter Zero). I enjoy it namely because I enjoy fighters; it has a cute and diverse cast; and, surprisingly for a fighter, pretty much every character is usable and has a fairly unique set of moves. (People argue that there are tiers as found in other fighters, but I am of the same opinion as a lot of Touhou fans that the tiers, if they exist at all, are separated by such small gaps that they amount to nothing. For example, Youmu is said to be a lowest-tier character, yet big bad birtha kicked my ass with her handily and he's not even perfect with her (as one can tell comparing his fights with "Youmu masters" whose exploits can be viewed on Youtube). Yuyuko is said to be a higher-tier character, yet I've seen a Youmu x Yuyuko fight between two very skilled fighters and every single win (1-2 in the end, Yuyuko's triumph) was down to the last hit point. Immaterial and Missing Power requires approximately 2 GB of hard drive space after installing the v.1.11 patch.

Mountain of Faith is the newest of ZUN's traditional Touhou games. However, I understand from the fan community that the game is radically different from the previous installments and has much more in common with some of the older titles. That is to say, and indeed quoting one Touhou fan, "Mountain of Faith is a return to form and function [of the older Touhou titles]." It throws out a lot of the developments that slowly were added on generation by generation and takes the game in a radical new direction, establishing a link between firepower and how many potential bomb uses one has. (In previous games, the number of bombs one had was fewer but using them did not impact shooting power. In the new games, the more bombs you don't use, the stronger your regular firepower becomes, creating a sort of "Do I? Don't I?" dilemma for the player that healthily, imo, restricts the use of bombs and encourages players to overcome their cowardice and try to beat levels w/o ever using a single bomb. Mountain of Faith requires approximately 500 MB of hard drive space.
Old 01-22-2008, 12:18 PM   #56
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

Quote:
I am spending most of my time fighting my chat buddies in Immaterial and Missing Power. With a lag-free computer, people are more inclined to fight me. Doppel, you should play as well =3 I'll give you the downloads, updates, and caster if you wanna try it out.

Also, I saw the Tier list, and Youmu was in the middle, while Yuyu was at the bottom. Also, the three that were at the top were Marisa, Remi, and Sakuya (three characters I use ^_^; ) Anyway, even so, the tier list doesn't really matter, because anyone can compete with anyone. I should probably focus more on Youmu rather than try to be good with five characters >.> (I can use Youmu, Remi, Sakuya, Marisa, and Yuyu.)
big bad birtha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 01:21 PM   #57
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Defense 1. ShrineMaiden.org opinions
You saw a different list than I did, bub. ¬¬ Either that or you're in denial. Everyone at ShrineMaiden has said that Youmu is lower-tier. See? (More) (More) (Somebody who actually gives a solid reason for why Youmu "sucks", quote unquote)

Defense 2. Japanese tournament usages
Now, those are just people's mean opinions, of course. :x I'm not trying to rub salt in your wounds that a few nerds on ShrineMaiden dislike Youmu. Fuck them. You obviously kicked my ass with her. However, maybe you'll give more heed to what the Touhou diehards in Japan have to say? And claiming Yuyuko is lower-tier, well ... that's just not true based on the data. Yuyuko frequently placed 1st, 2nd, or 3rd in the various 2007 championships whereas Youmu never placed. See for yourself: http://iamp.mizuumi.net/index.php/Tourn ... sults#2007 (Yuyuko placed 4th, 1st, ---, 3rd, 1st, 4th, 3rd, ---, ---, ---, ---, ---, 1st, ---, ---, ---, and 1st)

Defense 3. WHO CARES!? LET'S TOUHOU!
Finally, as if you're not aware already ... Touhou fans are INCREDIBLY PROTECTIVE OF THEIR FAVORITES! (You and I seem to be falling victim to that curse already, oh no! X_x) Anyway, point is, if you go here -- http://iamp.mizuumi.net/index.php/Yuyuko_Saigyouji -- and read her essay or any of the other girls' strategy essays, you'll soon discover that pretty much every girl's page was written by somebody who thinks that she deserves to be in the "stronger characters" tier. So I guess, in the end, it really is pointless to argue about this.

(I especially love the articles on Remilia and Yukari where people make excuses for their weakened status in IaMP and say, "If this were the real Touhou games, they'd fuck you up." )
Old 01-22-2008, 01:47 PM   #58
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

I say something I saw and you attack me with Youmu insults. Here's the stinking tier list. Look at the bottom of it. Of course, the last time I looked, it was only A B and C. I guess they expanded it. Anyway, this time, Youmu is right beside Yuyu.

Besides, I'm sure those people don't even know how to use a damn melee attack.

Also, here's a really cute video I found. Here you go =D
Old 01-22-2008, 02:34 PM   #59
Talon87
時の彼方へ

What the fuck times 2. A, you attacked me, and I didn't even want to be so combattive as to say that (unlike you just now!), so I light-heartedly defended my views. Because you acted like I pulled them out of my ass when I did not. And you're damn right I was offended by that. B, by your own fucking link, Youmu is in the C tier. What the hell is going on here!? >_> This is CCS all over again.
Old 01-22-2008, 02:51 PM   #60
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

No, I did not attack you, nor did I act like you pulled them out of your ass. All I meant was "I saw a tier list and it wasn't that way at all."

Also...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suigin failed to read
the last time I looked, it was only A B and C. I guess they expanded it. Anyway, this time, Youmu is right beside Yuyu.
Now, I have been VERY forgiving with you. You have insulted the Touhou fanbase many times after I started, and you have implied that I am a pedophile almost as much. After you join in, you taunt me and say "Ha ha! I beat you to your goal!".

Then, I disagree with one little thing you say, and you go out and insult my favorite character. Lets weight in who should be more pissed, shall we?

What you did to me:
Insult the Touhou fanbase maybe 4 times.
Imply that I am a pedophile 3 times.
Taunt me 1 time.
Insult my favorite character.

What I did to you:
Forget that you had China 1 time
Disagree with you 1 time.

Now, am I pissed? No. I just took all of that and let it be (except for the Youmu insults.) I saw no reason to go and start something. Of course, if you didn't mark out that one post before I read it, I definitely would've started something.

Anyway, I don't want to go any deeper into this.
Old 01-26-2008, 03:47 PM   #61
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Embodiment of the Scarlet Devil is hard.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 01-27-2008, 12:18 AM   #62
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

Quote:
Embodiment of the Scarlet Devil is hard.
Yes it is @_@ How far have you gotten/How much have you accomplished?

I have tried several times to get to the extra stage, because I wanna meet Flandre. However, I still haven't unlocked it. I guess it requires beating it on normal mode without continues, which I can NOT do. I can get through the first few stages without using one. Then, Sakuya destroys me >.> Then Remi kills like two continues.
Old 01-27-2008, 06:40 PM   #63
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I almost beat the game without a continue on my third try on Normal with Marisa, I got to half-way through stage six. It's actually not as hard as I originally thought, the first few stages are just surprisingly tough compared with PCB but everything from stage three on is actually easier, in my view. Sakuya is a cinch to get through but she took me by surprise the first time I went against her.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 01-30-2008, 09:49 PM   #64
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

Here's a godly video =D Well, I doubt that anyone will actually watch this because you need a nicovideo account. This is mostly a placeholder for me. I wanna watch this a few more times ^o^
Old 04-21-2012, 01:02 AM   #65
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

SUUUUUUPA
NEEEEECROOOOO
BUUUUUUUUUMP
CHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEN

...Anyone have any advice for doing better against hard mode Chen in Perfect Sakura?
People should watch what they enjoy regardless of what others think, even if it's a terribad guilty pleasure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
Though, I also dislike the concept of lamenting the current day while wishing to re-experience the past. At least, my modern attitude is to try and make each new day magical even if it's not, since exclusively reminiscing about the past is too pathetic.
Kindrindra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 01:39 AM   #66
Talon87
時の彼方へ

You woke the slumbering Ancient, Kind. You dug too deep.

Translation: I've been working on the Touhou thread just for you off and on for the past ... four months now? You can see the beta version below. I envision posting it as four posts.

Spoiler: show
What is Touhou?
"The Touhou Project (東方Project) is a series of 2D (with 3D background) vertically-scrolling danmaku shooting games made by Team Shanghai Alice, with three fighting game spinoffs co-produced with Twilight Frontier." - Touhou Wiki

Touhou means different things to different people. To some fans, it's all about the original shoot 'em up (or shmup) video games for Windows. For others, Touhou is all about the fan community. The fan community produces hundreds of high-quality images daily, hundreds of comics and videos monthly, and is believed by some to be the most prolific fandom in the history of the world. But whatever it is that brings you to Touhou, fans are usually united about one thing: and that's their fandom for particular characters. With over thirty major characters to choose from and dozens more supporting characters, everyone has a favorite (or two ... or ten ) and fans enjoy conversing with one another about all manner of things -- from power levels and roles fulfilled within the land of Gensokyo to speculation about friendships and even romances.

Main Series Video Games:
The Windows games are what started it all. Touhou games are notorious for their incredible difficulty:

Yes, you read that right: this is set to Normal difficulty

But in part because of this insane difficulty level and in part because of the wonderfully beautiful patterns the bullets make and the music ZUN has composed for each stage, the Touhou games found their way into the hearts of tens of thousands of pioneering fans who trailblazed the way for the hundreds of thousands who would follow after them.

There are eight official games for PC which you can most easily play. These are:
Touhou 6 - Embodiment of Scarlet Devil
Touhou 7 - Perfect Cherry Blossom
Touhou 8 - Imperishable Night
Touhou 9 - Phantasmagoria of Flower View
Touhou 10 - Mountain of Faith
Touhou 11 - Subterranean Animism
Touhou 12 - UFO ~ Undefined Fantastic Object
Touhou 13 - Ten Desires

Side Games:
There are also numerous side games, both official and unofficial. Among the official side games is a popular line of fighters co-produced with Twilight Frontier.

There are three titles in the series. They are:
Touhou 7.5 - Immaterial and Missing Power
Touhou 10.5 - Scarlet Weather Rhapsody
Touhou 12.3 - Hisoutensoku
The numbering system reflects where the fighters occur chronologically between the games. (So, for example, Immaterial and Missing Power takes place before Touhou 8, Imperishable Night, but after Touhou 7, Perfect Cherry Blossom.)

Here are some sample video links to people playing the video games so that you can see what sorts of games the Touhou games are.
Shoot 'em ups:
Touhou 8 - Imperishable Night - Stage 1 - a good introductory video that showcases various mechanics
Touhou 6 - Embodiment of Scarlet Devil - Extra Stage boss - Flandre Scarlet - one of the hardest boss fights in the series
Touhou 10 - Mountain of Faith - Stage 4 - personal favorite

Fighters:
Touhou 12.3 - Hisoutensoku - Utsuho vs. Remilia (P1 vs. P2)
Tenshi as final boss in Touhou 10.5 - Scarlet Weather Rhapsody

Fanart and the Fandom:
Fanart is central to the Touhou fandom. Perhaps the most prolific fandom in the history of the world, there are literally millions of unique Touhou fanart images, thousands of Touhou fan comics and doujinshi, hundreds of professional-grade remixes of the in-game music, and hundreds of fan videos. There's even a fan-made anime, for God's sake.

Pixiv's Touhou results - warning! NSFW! 18+ only! Has worksafe contents too, but yeah.
Danbooru's Touhou page - warning! NSFW! 18+ only! Has worksafe content too, but yeah.

Videos:
Bad Apple! shadow art - perhaps the most famous Touhou fan video of all time; best viewed once you have an appreciation for who all the girls are

Community: -will edit suggestions into this list accordingly-
Touhou Wiki - a fan-made, fan-operated English-language wiki for all things Touhou
Pooshlmer - one of the oldest English-language imageboard channels for Touhou
Gensokyo.org - a large-ish fansite with an active webforum and everything

Other Fan Works:

Phoenix Wright-style Touhou game
Touhoumon

As you can see, the thread's all but done. I just need to put some polishing touches on it. A picture for the fanart section. A picture for the first post. Some more links in the fourth post. Cross-checking things with bbb. Making sure I'm linking to the correct Touhou fan wiki. (I always forget which one's the one that pissed off the fans and which isn't. Not my civil war. ^_^; ) In any event, I started writing this, like I said, when you showed interest in the PASBL. This would have been back when I was still reading that thread, which would have been before New Year's when you guys kicked me out, so ... over four months ago? ^^; In any event, I wanted the thread to be good, and so -- like a lot of Talon projects -- it stalled in Development Hell. But yes, you can see the beta version above.

As for your question, I've never played not played much of PCB. My focus has been on ...
  • Embodiment of Scarlet Devil (trying to beat it on Normal, have made it all the way to Remilia)
  • Mountain of Faith (trying to 1cc it on Normal, once upon a time 1cc-made it all the way to Kanako -____-; )
  • Subterranean Animism (trying to get past Stage 5 on Normal ... that damn cat! ^^; )
  • the fighters
And I don't play that much or that frequently either, so when I say "my focus," I simply mean "this is what I have done when I have done Touhou game stuff." So yeah. Can't really help answer your question.
Old 04-21-2012, 01:43 AM   #67
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindrindra View Post
...Anyone have any advice for doing better against hard mode Chen in Perfect Sakura?
You mean PCB? Who are you using?
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 05-01-2012, 01:32 AM   #68
Shuckle
Problematic Fave

Well, I just got Touhou. It's a very good game, I must say, even though I'm terrible at it and can't seem to get past the first stage without blowing all my lives. I just need practice ;_;

I'm starting on Embodiment of Scarlet Devil because I hear it's best to start there. Please confirm/deny.
Old 05-01-2012, 02:39 AM   #69
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

PCB is where most people start, and it's supposedly the easier game. I personally found PCB easier only at the lower levels, while EotSD's difficulty scaling isn't as dramatic on its Hard and Lunatic stages compared against Normal.

Most players use Reimu in both, but I'm a tied-and-true Marisa player, and Marisa is a lot better in EotSD than PCB. I got to like Stage 7 of EotSD Bonus (against Flandre) using her, while I've never beaten Extra or Phantasm in PCB. It's just too hard with Marisa, and ironically I struggle against the easiest spell, the swastika (lol manji).

I prefer EotSD in terms of gameplay because the bullets are more like gravity bombs, whereas they track better in PCB, meaning one has to graze more, which is harder over-all with Marisa (but easy with Reimu). In EotSD I could graze, but would usually move to a whole different area to avoid a barrage and then graze.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 05-02-2012, 04:56 PM   #70
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Prompted by Kindrindra's posts in the PASBL thread last year, I talked with big bad birtha about the possibility of making a new Touhou thread, of bumping the pre-existing one, or of asking Yuki to help us prune the pre-existing one into a better state. birtha indicated the best course of action would be to make a new thread. I asked if he wanted to do it, considering he is UPN's #1 authority on Touhou, but he declined and so that left me with the challenge.

Well, as you might imagine, it was daunting to try and talk about Touhou without scaring people away with walls of text. I'm afraid I've still probably done that anyway. ^^; But I worked on the post for about three or four nights and mostly got it done. And then? And then I shelved it indefinitely, like so many other projects. ^^;

Fast forward four or so months and Kindrindra bumps the old thread. It was kind of a shock for us. ^^; Here we were, making a thread primarily for him, and he goes and bumps the old thread that we didn't want to show him. ^^; Well, at least we knew he was definitely interested. And so I resolved to finish the thread.

And then I stalled again. ^^; So then Shuckle posts last night and I'm like "THAT'S IT! " and figure I have to get the thread out somehow. I spent last night looking for the final images and putting some finishing touches on the thread. It's still not quite done -- all of the Shoot the Bullet-related games are missing from the Main Series post as is Fairy Wars -- but I'll edit those and other things in eventually. But for now, without further ado ...

Here's the new home for Touhou chat. So please, let's take it there and let's have fun sharing videos, music, Let's Plays, fanart, discussion, and more.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime