UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > UPNetwork

Old 02-24-2008, 05:31 AM   #1
Skrusti
Boulder Badge

Color Tags

Recently, I noticed color tags messing up.

Like...

[color=limegreen]Using Limegreen for a bit, then trying to switch to White, it ends Limegreen instead of white like it should. What's causing this to happen?

(Yes, I have an appropriate (/color) tag after the word "White".)
Old 02-24-2008, 06:01 AM   #2
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Re: Color Tags

It looks like you are using lazy HTML (or BB Code, regardless) in that you're not closing off limegreen before attempting to open white. Your code needs to read like this:

Code:
All of these words are lime green while all of these words are white.
and not like this:

[code:21kc2h0b]Hey guys, how ya doin? I'm doin' pretty good myself.[/code]

As a demonstration that what I say ought to be true, observe:
[color=limegreen:21kc2h0b]The first
example
[color=limegreen]The second example
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 10:54 AM   #3
Skrusti
Boulder Badge

Ugh. That works on SPPfail, and that's such a shitty website.

Can it get changed so that works here too? xfd Because when doing certain things on here (ASB, FB), I tend to color Pokemon moves appropriately (White for Normal, green for grass, etc.) and if my reply has to be all one color (barring the moves), that's a LOT of typing to go through, depending on the situation.

I'm just being lazy, I know, but...eh. Simplicity.
Old 02-24-2008, 11:09 AM   #4
Talon87
時の彼方へ

It works on Serebii because either (a) Serebii-Joe himself uses poor coding habits or (b) Serebii-Joe's userbase is largely children who cannot or do not wish to understand how to code properly.

So long as {color}{/color}{color}{/color} would still work, I don't have any objections. (I certainly do have objections otherwise!)

The only thing in BB code (and even HTML) that I know of where you're not forced to close the tags is:
  1. When making lists. Ironic, huh? :P (i.e. nobody ever uses {li}{/li}, and BB doesn't even support closing lists' {*} tags as far as I know[/*3inmil27]
  2. When making line breaks (i.e. nobody ever writes {br}{/br})[/*3inmil27]
  3. When making paragraphs (i.e. everybody treats {p} as a 2-line {br} and not as a "paragraph tag" that incorporates all text sandwiched between {p} and {/p} as a paragraph[/*3inmil27]

Otherwise, HTML frowns on things like:
  • "I want it to go from bold to italics, and I just want to have to write {b}{i}{/i}"[/*3inmil27]
  • your color request, and any similar {font} tag-related request (size, font, etc.)[/*3inmil27]

I dunno. If somebody in a position to power to change it wants to change it, I don't see why I should argue against it. Only if they'd have to sack the proper way of doing things to institute your method.

If it's any consolation, we're always looking at the possibility of scrapping vBulletin for something better, so don't interpret the staff's cold response to this thread as refusal. There may be one or two people who can (and would like to) make you happy but just don't want to waste their time doing it on code that we may abandon in the next year or two.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 12:57 PM   #5
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

vB has an automatic close code when the same code is used twice. So even if you fail to place the [/color], the program automatically does it for you. Similarly, if you forget to put the close code on the end of your post, I believe it also does it for you.

Stop being lazy is the best way around it.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > UPNetwork