UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Debate

Old 05-11-2016, 08:36 PM   #1476
Muyotwo
Dominator of Bike Levels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangeetsuper View Post
Honestly, what I'm drawing an analogy to is the forced prayer I had to do at school. I knew it was strictly un-optional to actually do the prayer, but I still got plenty of weird looks and short talkings-to from teachers because I didn't pray.
This is about what my experience was with the pledge- We had one kid who wouldn't do the pledge when I was young and everyone else tended to look at him queerly and ostracize him a bit. I suppose the reaction is a bit more pronounced in the south where the cult of being "a patriot" is seemingly omnipresent, but I definitely agree with Kush that it's a symptom rather than a cause.
Old 05-11-2016, 11:13 PM   #1477
deoxys
Fog Badge

When I got to high school, I started becoming more self-aware of the pledge of allegiance and what it was, and it started to creep me out, looking around the room and seeing everyone robotically recite the words ingrained into their mind since we were in kindergarten. Doing it every morning before class started, at some point it just became second nature, you never really stopped to consider what you were saying or what it meant, or why you said it.

Eventually I became that guy and stopped doing it. Sometimes, I would feel awkward being one of the few two or three kids who didn't and would stand up with everyone else, but I wouldn't recite the message. And it isn't a 'fuck you' to the man or anything - it just really made me uncomfortable. And as I got a bit older, some other classmates joined, though I think it was more because they stopped giving a shit and didn't feel like standing up to do it anymore. The kind of nationalistic message the pledge sends when you actually think about it was just too creepy for me to feel comfortable with doing any longer (of course, it took me 11 years to get to that point).

Like everyone else is basically saying though, I don't believe the pledge of allegiance is any more than a symptom of nationalistic and patriotic tendencies of some Americans. I just simply don't see it being a cause for any of it, though it can definitely be argued that it is one of many, many forms of subtle (an not-so-subtle) indoctrination that we write off as normal day-to-day life experiences.

Last edited by deoxys; 05-11-2016 at 11:18 PM.
deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 04:55 PM   #1478
deoxys
Fog Badge

http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/...ut-third-party

Old 05-14-2016, 11:54 PM   #1479
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
I was reading up an obituary of Charlie Wilson by a US Army Major, which essentially blames Wilson for creating the Taliban, empowering Osama bin Laden, and causing 9/11.

That latter bit isn't as important as some other stuff I took to it, since it's well-treaded fact. The major suggests that either out of laziness, blood-hate or else, the US could have taken a nobler approach to walling communism or other threatening regimes instead of rolling back freedoms and employing expensive, covert black-ops. Notably:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Registan
The blueprint mentioned above was NSC-68, penned in theory by George Kennan in the Long Telegram and implemented by Paul Nitze in policy. Echoing Shoeless Joe in the movie Field of Dreams, Nitze described a “Build it and they will come” strategy; America maintains its most credible influence and intrinsic power when it acknowledges and reinforces the “strength and appeal of its idea, and feels no compulsion sooner or later to bring all societies into conformity with it.” Proxy wars such as those which Mr. Wilson and the CIA enabled in 1979 and even what we are doing today in Afghanistan is directly contrary to this advice. Furthermore, Nitze says that only by leveraging the “moral and material strength of the free world” and “building a successfully functioning political and economic system” can we defeat the threat. In other words, only by ensuring our own house is in order and living up to the ideals which first made us a great nation can we “truly frustrate” the designs of our enemies, be they the Taliban or al-Qaeda of today or the Soviets of yesterday. Only then can we convince authoritarian regimes and the disenfranchised groups who become insurgents of the “falsity of [their] assumptions.”
This is pretty similar to something someone advocated earlier in this thread. But, it's probably too late to make this work, since China has already demonstrated that democracy is not "superior" to their communism blend. Not that the US really cares about stopping communism anymore anyway, we just hate Russia. We still hate Russia.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 12:46 AM   #1480
Shuckle
Problematic Fave

I think it's time to step back and take an unbiased look at the candidates. Please remember that I'm not a political analyst and thus can't give you any kind of professional opinion or analysis. If you have anything else to add, please do!

Everything in this post is correct, to my knowledge. I avoided controversial statements and made safe bets when it came to my predictions. This does mean that my post isn't complete, though, and you may need to do your own research to come to a conclusion that is meaningful to you.

Astute Sanders supporters may notice that I forgot him. It is bedtime, and I spent 2 fucking hours on this damn post, and I promised myself I wouldn't let myself get dragged into this shit anymore. I didn't forget him; he's just coming soon(tm).

Hillary Rodham Clinton

Clinton is the socially liberal, fiscally conservative "moderate." A key thing to remember is that those concepts do NOT actually average out; she is not a moderate.Her network of large corporations and wealthy campaign donors and other supporters includes powerful connections in media, finance, and politics. Her husband, Bill Clinton, managed a successful presidency in financial terms, using trade deals and overseas agreements to provide huge, short-live bursts of life to the US economy.

Why vote Clinton?

Clinton may be a bit of a two-faced bitch, but this time it seems she's making promises for real. Her extensive connections and resources have given her all the social buttons to push, and she's pushing them with all her might, setting herself as a shining example of progress. Her campaign promises so far have all been hugely attractive, with racial and economic equality featuring hugely.

Main points:

1. Racial equality programs, including police, education, and workplace reforms
2. LGBT equality programs
3. Women's rights programs
4. Health care improvements

Candidates have been shown to keep about 60-80% of their campaign promises, or at least putting up a fight, but I'm not as sure about Hillary - she's got entanglements and baggage to deal with, and a Republican Congress may not want to play nice. Still, expect to see a great deal of emphasis put on her rallying cries of social progressivism. If you are looking for Obama 2.0, social justice, and health care, Hillary is your gal.

Hillary also supports other egalitarian policies, such as upping the minimum wage and reducing the effect of campaign contributions. However, I can't in good conscience assure anyone that these things will come to pass. She's rising to power on the backs of these campaign contributions, and the financial reforms that she's promising on her site will make her donors very uncomfortable! Even if she does try to follow through, the laws won't have teeth and change will remain minimal.

Why vote literally anyone else?

Hillary's main weakness is that she stalls horribly. Her time spent in other positions of power has not been stellar; she has mostly succeeded in creating waste and not much else. With no major accomplishments as First Lady, Secretary of State or Senator of New York besides a lot of extra money going nowhere, it's going to be difficult for her to convince everyone that she's gonna be the real deal this time. A HRC presidency runs the risk of spinning its wheels at the cost of several trillion dollars in taxpayer money.

The other side of the coin is a curse in disguise. Hillary's political strengths and fiscal conservatism would make it easy for her to make compromises with the usually-recalcitrant Republican-controlled Congress that caused so much of a headache with the gridlock and shutdown in late 2013. However, these compromises would most likely be a double-edged sword; those attractive policies that she's campaigning on might end up less potent than what is needed, with much more insidious legislation (such as SOPA or PIPA) being pushed through in the spirit of compromise.

She also has significant issues with foreign policy, and it seems that though she fancies herself a diplomat, she seems to lack the ability to understand and negotiate with other cultures. Though I can't tell you much about this, because when she was given the opportunity to show off her foreign policy skills, all she did was create multiple scandals.

Speaking of which, those scandals may not seem like much to the layperson. She did the wrong thing with classified information. Whatever, right? Well, not whatever. Saying that she should be in jail is not an exaggeration when it comes to State Department stuff. At the very least, she should not be working in politics. Yet, here we are, so I guess we'll just overlook that for now.

She will likely follow her husband's strategy of making massively lucrative trade deals...which sounds like a good thing, and will bring money into the economy, but could get hairy for domestic job prospects, especially if the minimum wage is increased. This one is mostly guesswork, and can't reliably be held against her, but the chance exists.

Should I vote for Hillary?

The bottom line for most of you is that none of the other candidates are nearly as socially liberal as Clinton is, and if you're mostly concerned with fairness and equality for all citizens, regardless of sexuality, gender, or race, then Clinton is the gal who will try to put it in the Constitution.

If you are anti-establishment, I strongly recommend that you do not vote for Hillary, even if you are socially liberal. Hillary is very strongly an establishment candidate - she IS the establishment. Even more so than Trump, who is an actual billionaire. She seeks to strongly expand the powers of the national government, which is why she is gunning so strongly for social reforms, but this could lead to unsavory outcomes in other areas of government (lobbying, waste, overreach). While Hillary does give the greatest chance of those tasty liberal reforms you crave, you'll still get a fighting chance under a Sanders or even a Trump presidency. Don't panic vote Hillary just because she promises to help out gay kids in Alabama - there are other things that come along in that package, and you need to be sure you support at least half of them.

Personally, I can't get over the scandals and corruption that plague her and Bill. Electing her would send a message to the world that we're okay with the gay, but it would also send the message that we're okay with a lot of other stuff too, like criminal activity and corruption. I like that about as much as you guys like the message sent by a Trump election.

I also dislike her manufactured image. She feels like Hillarytron the Vote Collecting Robot who exists for no other purpose than to collect votes, and that leads me to wonder about why she wants to be president so damn much, especially since as stated I think she could do more good as Speaker or Majority Leader. I don't trust it and I don't trust her or Bill in the oval office.

However, as I said, she's not a horrible candidate, and she does support a lot of progressive reforms and policies. The country would indeed be better with a continued Clinton dynasty. The issue is that it wouldn't be better than a Trump presidency, in my opinion.

Donald J Trump

Hoooo boy. Where to begin? Trump is a billionaire who runs several businesses, though he has given most over to his children to run while he makes his bid for the presidency. He has a yuuuge personality and is a bit of a blowhard, which has sent a hail of criticism and outrage his direction - he's weathered this mostly unscathed, though. His caustic wit and free-flowing insults have given him a severe reputation among Democrats and Republicans alike. While Trump is much nicer than the media would have you believe, he is devastatingly blunt and his cult of persona can be unsavory at times. Trump frequently comes under fire for offensive sound bites, all of which are unscripted, which has also earned him a reputation as a bigot and a liar.

Underneath the "alpha-male" personality, though, is something a lot more dangerous; reasonable political opinions. Despite his flip-floppy and widely publicized smart-aleck remarks, Trump's policies are pretty generally agreeable, and with the exception of his widely publicized xenophobic sentiments, which push him to the right, he's a fairly moderate candidate on social issues and even financial issues, too.

However, Trump is also a huge anomaly and the biggest wild-card candidate since Reagan. His campaign site displays 5 issues at a time, and you'd be hard-pressed to find out what exactly his promises actually are. Trump plays more to public opinion than to policymaking, and his strategy is a play-by-ear Presidency that relies on experts and analysts to make decisions for him.

Why vote Trump?

The biggest reason? His yuuuuge personality. Trump's strong-arm negotiation style could be what this country needs to truly be "made great again." I'm fairly confident that Trump, despite his anti-establishment leanings, is capable of expertly playing hardball with Congress to get things moving again.

Trump's lack of policy can be a blessing as well as a curse. A play-by-ear Presidency may make him unpredictable and scary, but it also strengthens his appeal; the worry with Sanders and Clinton is that they lack the expert opinions and analysis that is necessary to effect real, lasting change. Trump has had plenty of experience dealing with the yes-men and incompetent leadership that drove several of his ventures into the ground. If he says "We're going to get the smartest guys to figure out what to do," I believe him! The US government sorely needs, for example, LGBT experts to explain to Trump that unisex restrooms are way better than gendered restrooms when it comes to transgender people.

Trump represents freshness and revitalization in a government that has become very stale and locked up with establishment interests. Despite his unpredictability and lack of specific campaign promises, it's likely that a Trump presidency would be good for the country.

From what I know of Trump's existing policy promises, I can tell you things like "Trump believes that America should be competing directly with other governments and does not wish ill will against the individual citizens of those governments" or "Trump opposes illegal immigration because he wants Mexico to sort its own shit out instead of sending people over to America in search of a better life." But it's all really just details, and Trump is so unpredictable that it could change at any time if he and his team discover a better way to achieve those goals.

Trump's also known for his America-First foreign policy stance, which is pretty good for the US and eliminates many of the unfavorable trade deals and entangling alliances that drag the US down. As an anti-establishment candidate, Trump will most likely seek to drag jobs and cash flow back into the country, using strong negotiations with countries like China, India, and the Philippines to keep American corporations from outsourcing to those countries. Perhaps imposing the American minimum wage on people who work for or sell to American-owned companies? Oh my god PLEASE.

Why not vote Trump?

No amount of minority support in America can excuse the fact that he is rather viciously xenophobic. With outlandish suggestions to combat ISIS like "committing genocide" and "imposing blanket anti-Muslim travel bans," Trump stands on thin ice among socially liberal advocates.

His brutal bluntness could cause serious snarls when it comes to negotiations. Politics is petty, and many of the NeverTrump crowd can and will stand in his way and threaten another gridlock if he doesn't cooperate with what THEY want. While Trump may actually be capable of overcoming these challenges due to his strong personality and keen negotiation sense, it will be a lot of time and effort spent just to get to a neutral point and could even cripple the entire first year of his presidency.

Trump's main reason for the US-Mexico border wall is economic in nature, but it also represents some ugly and sort of racist opinions about illegal immigrants, many of whom are more like refugees than immigrants. A major justification for the wall is crime, which paints illegal immigrants in a HORRIBLE light, making them out to be criminals and thugs (which is the opposite of true; illegal immigrants commit LESS crime than other groups, according to police reports. Even though it's possible that all the crime is committed against illegal immigrants, but that would be ridiculous).

When it comes to other countries, particularly the European/Western world, Trump is seen as a very unsavory character. A Trump election could seriously damage our relationships with those countries and lead to a lot of issues globally. Trump isn't taken seriously on the global scale, and he would need to put up a lot of fight to make any kind of headway against that much negative public opinion - even if he is a wunderkind and all of his negatives are just lies and falsehoods, which honestly is not the case.

Trump's unpredictability and reliance on a strong cabinet could easily fall flat, and he could easily fuck up and send the country in the wrong direction. Just having expert analysis doesn't guarantee that he'll always make the right decisions, or that the right decisions will always result in the correct outcome. While Hillary's failure chance is a total lack of anything happening (except a lot more spending), Trump's failure chance is even worse; that he takes risks that don't pan out and the country takes a nosedive. His reputation on the world stage is delicate, and if he can't make strong, successful moves right out of the gate he'll be blasted by every Western government and probably take fire from the media as well.

Should I vote Trump?

Trump is a nationalist and anti-establishment candidate, and depending on your leanings you may find that to be good or bad. Despite his negative reputation and that attitudes of his supporters, Trump isn't a racist, and his policies are pretty favorable for racial minorities who would stand to benefit the most from Trump's support of affirmative action, job creation, and a reduction of illegal immigration (which leads to fewer entry-level jobs available, which leads to fewer jobs for racial minorities because of discrimination, etc.).

If foreign policy matters to you, I recommend Trump. Whether you like his other policies or not, whether you think xenophobia and nationalism make him Hitler or not, he can do a lot better of a job than Hillary and Bernie could. Trump is a powerful negotiator, and I have little doubt that America's standing on the world stage would skyrocket. He's promised to make America great again, after all!

Beyond that, though, is a matter of contention. He toes the party line pretty spectacularly; tax reform, second amendment rights, immigration, ending unfavorable trade deals, veteran assistance, AND health care! The same bombastic, devil-may-care attitude that makes him feel like such a bigot is also a key piece of his political stance - he doesn't care what the Republican party line is, he cares about what the correct way forward is. It's up to you whether you like him or not!

I strongly recommend that you do NOT enter the NeverTrump camp. Like it or not, Trump is a legitimate candidate with strengths and weaknesses who has made an excellent showing in the campaign so far, and he won the nomination fairly and without issue (despite his unconventional strategies). I don't care how much you hate racism. I don't care that it "sends the wrong message." People whined about Obama too, claiming that "we elected a monkey/Muslim atheist/the Anti-Christ." If they can suck it up and deal with the fact that Obama was good for the country, you can suck it up and deal with the fact that the Annoying Orange: Blond Toupee Edition is actually a pretty decent candidate with a great shot at winning and a great chance of setting up positive, lasting change while in office.

Personally, I like Trump. I am a strong moderate, and though Trump is definitely rightwards of where I stand, we're close enough that I have no issues supporting him. To me, he has the best presidential strategy out of all 3 major candidates, and I also like that he has the force of personality on his side. The intangibles of an American presidency CANNOT be understated; part of the reason I loved Obama's presidency so much was that he was a genuinely funny guy, an amazing communicator, and a black man. Well. Half-black, but it counts. These things have nothing to do with policy, and could describe any candidate at any point on the political spectrum!

These intangibles may not be attractive to you, and that's okay. I like his bluntness, his pettiness, his quick wit, and his strong-armed style. You may not. I support Clinton's policies, too, and I would not throw a tantrum if she gets elected, which makes me a better person than everyone who is NeverTrump*. However, I dislike her intangibles, and that on top of policies of hers that I DON'T support leads me to the Trump camp.

*I CAN FEEL THE SHITSTORM BREWING FROM ALL THE WAY OVER HERE

THERE IS A SWIRLING MASS OF UNRESTRAINED HATRED HEADED MY WAY FOR THIS OFFHAND COMMENT

IT'S A FUCKING JOKE CALM THE FUCK DOWN

IT'S FUNNY BECAUSE NEVERTRUMP IS SO STUPID
Old 05-15-2016, 03:25 AM   #1481
Rangeet
Foot, meet mouth.

Send a message via MSN to Rangeet Send a message via Skype™ to Rangeet
Sanders: Vote for him because he's not crazy or corrupt.
Old 05-15-2016, 05:19 AM   #1482
Muyotwo
Dominator of Bike Levels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuckle View Post
>I think it's time to step back and take an unbiased look at the candidates.

>I avoided controversial statements

>Clinton may be a bit of a two-faced bitch
Checks out.
Old 05-15-2016, 05:48 AM   #1483
Rangeet
Foot, meet mouth.

Also lol comparing Obama being called a monkey/muslim/antichrist to Trump being called a racist.
Old 05-15-2016, 06:15 AM   #1484
Mercutio
Banned

Shuckle with all due respect no-one here will take you seriously as a neutral political commentator (and whether you actually are capable of doing this has little bearing on that perception).

Next time spend two hours in the sun
Mercutio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 07:42 PM   #1485
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

Campaigning pretty strongly for a specific candidate that is a part of your analysis is basically the one thing that guarantees your disqualification from being unbiased.

私のことを消して本気で愛さないで 恋なんてただのゲーム 楽しめばそれでいい
閉ざした心を飾る 派手なドレスも靴も 孤独の友達

asbwffb

[jerichi]
Jerichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 10:10 PM   #1486
deoxys
Fog Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuckle
>I think it's time to step back and take an unbiased look at the candidates.

>I strongly recommend that you do NOT enter the NeverTrump camp. Like it or not, Trump is a legitimate candidate with strengths and weaknesses who has made an excellent showing in the campaign so far, and he won the nomination fairly and without issue (despite his unconventional strategies). I don't care how much you hate racism. I don't care that it "sends the wrong message." People whined about Obama too, claiming that "we elected a monkey/Muslim atheist/the Anti-Christ." If they can suck it up and deal with the fact that Obama was good for the country, you can suck it up and deal with the fact that the Annoying Orange: Blond Toupee Edition is actually a pretty decent candidate with a great shot at winning and a great chance of setting up positive, lasting change while in office.
Old 05-16-2016, 12:07 AM   #1487
Shuckle
Problematic Fave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerichi View Post
Campaigning pretty strongly for a specific candidate that is a part of your analysis is basically the one thing that guarantees your disqualification from being unbiased.
Well it is true that I didn't give Hillary enough credit. I reviewed some of her stances in depth today and they seem consistent with the Hillary I know. For example, her "campaign finance reform" is nonexistent, as expected, but her minimum wage efforts are definitely sincere, most likely because of the equality they'll bring.

I'll simplify so that I don't come across as campaigning. This is the bare bones pros and cons that led me to support Trump.

Trump positives: Big personality, promises to hire expert cabinet, foreign policy, anti-establishment moderate
Clinton positives: Woman, highly progressive, experienced politician, good public image, establishment "moderate"
Sanders positives: Progressive, amazing political history, effective politician, anti-establishment liberal

Trump negatives: ATROCIOUS public image, xenophobic/nationalist, overbearing, has a cult following of allies AND enemies
Clinton negatives: ATROCIOUS political history, weak diplomacy, crowd-pleaser
Sanders negatives: Old, not well-known, has to get through Hillary and then Trump (both of whom are well-connected in the media), platform feels a little outdated and disorganized, socialist

Ultimately? Social issues aren't as important to me as they probably are to you. If that's the case, and all you really care about is making sure that everyone has the equality of opportunity that they need, PLEASE! vote hillary. She is going to do that, and probably nothing but that, and might fuck up everything but that, but she's gonna get that done. Sanders will do it, too, but not as well - he's more concerned with the financial side of things.

In addition you should probably not vote Trump. Trump doesn't consider social issues a priority. At all. He's not regressive, he just doesn't care. About the worst that could possibly happen under a Trump presidency is nothing; the most that can be hoped for is that he might have "sexuality, gender identity, or sex" added to the 13th Amendment.
Old 05-16-2016, 06:40 AM   #1488
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

Send a message via Skype™ to Concept
>Trump foreign policy a positive

Every foreign policy speech he's given so far has been universally panned by everyone who has any idea what they're talking about. It's arguably his biggest weakness, even more so than his xenophobic outbursts. Foreign policy-wise he's incoherent at best. He's also successfully alienated a number of world leaders already, without even taking office.

What Trump does deserve credit for is his progressive stance towards LGBT rights (which he was very open about long before it was popular - and while Clinton was still defending DOMA and DADA). Credit where credit is due, he's probably the most openly progressive major presidential candidate on that particular topic that the US has ever had. Unfortunately it's not enough for me to overlook the "let's deliberately murder innocent wives and children of militants" or "let's discriminate based on religion and bar a sixth of the worlds population from entering the country".

Hilary reminds me of 2012 Romney insofar as she's varied her positions to play to the crowd a lot on most every issue during her career and is a heavily establishment, high-earner friendly candidate. I was... not a fan of 2012 Romney. She's playing her gender for all it's worth and tbh Trump's right about this one, if she were male she probably wouldn't be where she is right now.

Last edited by Concept; 05-16-2016 at 08:29 AM.
Concept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 06:30 PM   #1489
Shuckle
Problematic Fave

Quote:
Or, as Kuwaiti twitter user Mohammed al-Ammar wrote: "Some of his speech is correct and logical, but the problem is, he's still #Trump."
His foreign policy is actually MORE coherent than previous administrations; although you may not like the direction of the coherence. European leaders are criticizing him for being isolationist and nationalist.

I also MENTIONED this in my attempt at UNBIASED POLITICAL ANALYSIS so it is PRETTY CLEAR that I UNDERSTAND THE IMPORTANCE OF INTERNATIONAL PERCEPTION ON A POTENTIAL TRUMP PRESIDENCY ;p

Unfortunately I disagree that America's forays into the world stage have been anything but a net negative ever since they were introduced. Iraq isn't even the biggest problem I have with my country's history of foreign politics. We have a loooooong history of protecting our corporate interests in the name of "democracy", and I think that Trump is a little better suited to reversing or altering that trend than Clinton is.

I don't take issue with Hillary using her gender as a rallying point. A first female president would be unbelievably historic, especially since it's packed with progressive reforms and policies. While I'm not a Clinton supporter and think she's unsuited to other areas of the job, it would be LESS effective for her if she DIDN'T try to use her gender to rally her voter base of support. That's not a problem, that's just another part of a progressive platform.
Old 05-16-2016, 07:20 PM   #1490
Toyo
hail

debate thread minigame: identify the keywords and phrases!

Quote:
I also MENTIONED this in my attempt at UNBIASED POLITICAL ANALYSIS so it is PRETTY CLEAR that I UNDERSTAND THE IMPORTANCE OF INTERNATIONAL PERCEPTION ON A POTENTIAL TRUMP PRESIDENCY ;p
did you guess correctly?

Quote:
you did it!

(anyways my feelings are at 1:30, clinton is a war criminal but at least she'll pretend to be progressive. we can't afford somebody as unknown as trump to potentially select 4 supreme court justices)
Toyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 07:37 PM   #1491
Snorby
Snackin'

Toy sums it up nicely. With Clinton and Trump what it comes down to for me is two main things:

1. I simply would not be able to, in good conscience, support someone as Xenophobic as Trump. Clinton may be corrupt, be she has not yet supported doing things anywhere near as racist or as damaging to the population as Trump.

2. Even if I could throw my conscience out the window, it would be a matter of preferring to have someone consistently mediocre than someone who ranges from abhorrent to slightly less mediocre depending on what day it is.

Click on Fawful for my ASB squad summary. Other links coming soon.
Snorby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 11:54 AM   #1492
Zelphon
Caffeinated

Send a message via Skype™ to Zelphon
I haven't been watching the news.

Has American Hitler been assassinated yet?

Zelphon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 10:23 PM   #1493
deoxys
Fog Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelphon View Post
I haven't been watching the news.

Has American Hitler been assassinated yet?
I know you're joking, but let's not go there, okay?
Old 05-17-2016, 10:41 PM   #1494
Zelphon
Caffeinated

"There" as in assassination or "There" as in him being literal Hitler?

Old 05-17-2016, 10:54 PM   #1495
Sparkbeat
I make cryin' babies weep

Both. This is a thread for debate not shitposting.
Old 05-17-2016, 11:00 PM   #1496
Zelphon
Caffeinated

I hereby debate he's our Hitler equivalent and should be denied the right to run for presidency followed by charges for shitting on the world's view of America.

Old 05-17-2016, 11:05 PM   #1497
phoopes
Double Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelphon View Post
I hereby debate he's our Hitler equivalent and should be denied the right to run for presidency followed by charges for shitting on the world's view of America.
If you're being serious: Hitler did terribly racist things while in a position of power, whereas Trump has just said racist things while not in a position of power.

If you're not: stop trolling.
Old 05-17-2016, 11:10 PM   #1498
satosere
Cascade Badge

Trump is a pathetic piece of crap
Old 05-17-2016, 11:18 PM   #1499
Zelphon
Caffeinated

His campaign is practically an act of terrorism against Muslim communities in our country.

But yeah I'm fairly serious about his Hitleryness. Although I'll shut up about it for now.

Old 05-17-2016, 11:18 PM   #1500
Rangeet
Foot, meet mouth.

Quite frankly looking at the history of how Hitler was elected and then looking back at Trump there's more than enough reason to worry. All he needs to do now is to blame a huge fire on Communists.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Debate