Pokemon Unite

Pokemon MOBA announced

BORKED

MAL - Fizzy Bubbles - Twitter

deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 08:58 AM   #2
deoxys
Fog Badge

>tfw your useless jungle Tsareena never ganks for you and your trash Intelleon/Blissey bot lane keeps feeding their AP bot Delphox and now their top Swampert is pushed in on the inhibitors

The year is 2021. You could have prevented Pokemon from becoming this soulless and you didn't stop it, and now you're typing 5 paragraphs on reddit calling someone a bitch because they think your main should be nerfed. You could have prevented all of this, but you let it get to this point. How do you feel knowing you are contributing to the slow-death of a franchise, and taking this post entirely too seriously?
deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 09:02 AM   #3
Lady Kuno
The hostess with the mostess

This game is the definition of soulless. To say it looks bad is an understatement. It's essentially a "generic league clone" with Pokemon models copied and pasted in. The maps look like they belong in any other generic moba game, they couldn't even make Viridian Forest or any notable Pokemon locations? The models are STILL the same XY ones. Everything about this is an absolute cashgrab.

No one wanted this. This is TPC's Diablo Immortal moment.

PROUD OWNER OF A MISSINGNO. IN FIZZY BUBBLES
Lady Kuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 09:23 AM   #4
Raves
a quick fly cuppa

Location: Life and love make fools of us all. Gods reject the existence of love and life.
Send a message via Skype™ to Raves
RAID: Marshadow Legends, developed by Tencent Media.

This was already an embarrassment, but the fact that those commie cunts are involved in its development only serves to ensure that it's going to end up stillborn. Seriously, fuck Ishihara for the direction he's shoved this franchise in

Unruly Premonition.
Raves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 09:58 AM   #5
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
Since the game is made by "Tencent" y'all think it'll be cheaper than the DLC?
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 11:43 AM   #6
Median Dia
Thankful For The Results

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
Since the game is made by "Tencent" y'all think it'll be cheaper than the DLC?
It's technically "Free to Start". so as far as immediate monetary value is concerned, yes. The real costs are more to do with purchasable skins and, more pressingly, data infringement, based on what I've heard about these guys.

Tangled Feet- "Only I have the right to hit me!"
Median Dia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 12:53 PM   #7
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I think the complaints are overblown.

→Sinnoh remakes (with Dynamax!) by GameFreak
→Let's Go Riolu, Let's Go Pachi by GameFreak
→Let's Go Johto by GameFreak
→Soulful Sword and Souless Shield by GameFreak

None of these look promising, at best they're a continuation of the Gen VIII trainwreck. And I doubt anyone wanted Tencent to direct a main series entry. So I think people are blindly looking to each game announcement as some kind of messianic saviour of the franchise™ which is so far removed from reality it's clinical delusion.

Once Tencent was announced, I think it was guaranteed we were getting either a moba OR a new gatcha to replace Masters. They're cheap to make and tasteless fans will gobble 'em up.

And as disgusted as fans are, S&S are on their way to being the best selling Pokemon game. DLC will bump the price tag but DLC bundles this December with Switch Lite will continue to bump up sales. People had a chance to vote with their wallets and didn't, so Gen VIII will continue.

At least the anime had the decency to mostly avoid Galar. We just revisited Kalos, not that new fans even know what Kalos is.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 06-25-2020, 05:37 AM   #8
Ironthunder
The Uncultured One

Send a message via Skype™ to Ironthunder
tbf the main reason SwSh are selling so well is because there's actually some decent promise in there. Yes they're more than a bit rushed and it does show, mostly in the utter lack of story and random level spike for the champion indicating cut data somewhere, but ultimately they're not bad games, and Isle of Armor's actually very good. Base SwSh alone is nowhere near the worst mainline title they've pushed out, especially including remakes.
Old 06-25-2020, 06:15 AM   #9
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I don't think that's the reason they're selling well. I'm more inclined to believe Pokemon has finally emerged as an identity brand and the game quality doesn't matter so much as the nameplate.

When you read the common criticisms of Ishihara in light of this announcement, they're consistently accusing him of being out of touch with the fanbase.

Who's out of touch? When Sword and Shield have almost 18M+ units sold despite nearly universal disdain online?

This is a silent majority effect and the internet communities need the reality check. Wallets have spoken and that means Generation VIII management is going to be the five-year plan with unlimited option for renewal.

I think on some level, the fans feel they're being disenfranchised, and they're lashing out without fully grasping why. They understand they're being existentially threatened but either don't want to acknowledge the unpleasant outcomes (either consume or quit) or don't understand them.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 06-25-2020, 11:09 AM   #10
Emi
Barghest Barghest Barghe-

Send a message via Skype™ to Emi
"Universal disdain" more people hate TLoU2 than SwSh
Old 06-25-2020, 12:21 PM   #11
Ironthunder
The Uncultured One

People hated SwSh but especially since Isle of Armor, that standpoint's lessened and is probably not a majority, even among Pokemon fans.
Old 06-25-2020, 02:32 PM   #12
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Yet, Unite exploded a powder keg, so I don't think Isle of Armour was that much of a healing balm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emi View Post
"Universal disdain" more people hate TLoU2 than SwSh
The only critics I saw who gave an overwhelming positive review for SS was IGN, who were notorious for shilling. Most of the other reviewers were far more restrained. Add this to the loud, angry fan reaction and I'd conclude reception was at best south of positive.

Pokemon being aimed at children and not making major changes to the core gameplay ensures there's at least some kind of floor for acceptance. Though, I'd argue the dexcut was a major change that dramatically reduced the free extended life of the game.

From what I've see of TLoU2, the critics are in full shill mode while the fans, responding to this, are even louder and angrier. The fire is hotter because TLoU2 brings politics into the game's meta discussion, while at least with SS it was about characteristics of the game itself.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 06-25-2020, 02:51 PM   #13
Ironthunder
The Uncultured One

See, things have changed since launch. The games are the same, but people have gotten over their raging hateboners and actually played the games, and they're not bad. Far from the greatest offerings, but with some of the crap they pushed to 3DS like SM and ORAS this is quality gameplay. And I don't think I've heard all that much bashing about Isle of Armor, it's generally accepted as being extremely solid and a step in the right direction for the series as a whole. SwSh had mistakes and unfinished bits, but what's actually there isn't that bad.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > UPN News