UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > Independent Forums > Fizzy Bubbles > FB Time Out > Hall of Records

Closed Thread

Old 04-25-2017, 05:33 PM   #1
Marion Ette
Blades and Butterflies

Squirtle FB Mod Elections - The Community Discussion Thread *WE NEED YOUR INPUT!*

EDIT: The nominees would appreciate hearing the community's choices for moderator teams, along with their reasoning. Bear in mind that this is not an official vote, and combinations proposed are not binding - however, we would like to hear from you to ensure that the combination we set forth will be one that the community as a whole will support. Thank you to all who have contributed and will contribute to this election process!

Hello everyone,

With Phase 2 of the Mod Elections underway, in the interest of allowing everyone in the community to have a say, the purpose of this thread is to encourage those with opinions on the election to voice them here.

Of course, you will all (hopefully) be speaking loud and proud in Phase 3, when the community either approves or disapproves the selections presented by nominee consensus; until then, however, please feel free to discuss the proceedings here.

Additionally, if there are any words of wisdom you would like to provide to future modship, or if you have any thoughts/opinions regarding FB leadership and how they should be working to serve the community, please present them here as well.

Thank you to all who have been supporting us thus far!

Last edited by Marion Ette; 04-28-2017 at 04:32 PM.
Old 04-26-2017, 03:34 PM   #2
Escalion
Getting married! :D

Send a message via Skype™ to Escalion
With this thread existing now, thanks Marion, there's something I've been wanting to speak my mind on for a while already but wasn't sure about doing, nor where if I would. I've been following the mod/nominee discussion closely and I do have some very strong opinions on a few things as well as some of the nominees. I'll keep that to myself for now, it's not the right time for that yet.

But what I've been wanting to say is this. I think that two things in this whole discussion are being grossly overrated. The first is the need for a nominee to have moderating experience. Looking at it from the practical moderating side (e.g. the being a forum moderator part), we really don't need three mods with moderating experience. One mod with experience on this board is more than enough for the sole reason that the new team won't have to bug Jeri about it. Learning the tools itself really isn't all that hard or time consuming.

The other thing that imho is overrated is leadership skills. Yeah sure it help, a bit, but aren't we planning on giving power to the community? We don't necessarily need mods to lead, we need mods to steer. That's a very distinct different. Mods don't have to pull the discussion. And if there's nothing to discuss at some point in time that's fine too.

The only thing mods need to be decisive about and really lead in, is problems with or between members, and even in that it should be team decision. Anyone of the nominees is capable of speaking their mind, and that's all that's needed for all of them. In the end you only need one to cut the knot and say "than that's how we're going to do it."

All in all, it basically comes down to this; We need a moderating team that between them check all the boxes, and most importantly, have a team that does not have the air about them that they stand above the community. Because that is where the previous team failed more than anything. A lack of communication and an air of being unapproachable has played a big part in us being where we are now.
Old 04-26-2017, 08:54 PM   #3
Altocharizard55
The Scientist

So, I'll begin by posing the following question to all of the moderators-to-be. Who do you work best with, in your eyes? That is, assuming you were elected, who would you chose to work with ideally?

-----------------------------------------------------------

Now, my personal feelings. First and foremost, I believe that Marion Ette is both the most obvious and best individual pick for a moderating position. This is for many reasons, including her fantastic temperament, open-mindedness, player-base familiarity, critical thinking skills, etc. She has been, and will no doubt continue to be, a guiding force in the community for a long time to come. I personally find her particular toolbox to be both entirely unique to her and irreplaceable.

From there, things get a little muddier, but I heavily suggest a pick two between Sneaze|Lit|Emi. It's been mentioned a few times, but both Emi and Lit have been essential as far as the innovation drive is concerned; if I'm not mistaken, I think it is safe to say that the two of them easily account for half of the new ideas that have been generated over the course of the last few weeks.

I think a lot of people are sleeping on how good of a pick Lit actually is. For anyone remotely concerned about his perceived temperament, I direct you to his most recent post in the election forum. Despite being overwhelmingly (IMO) pitted against Emi, he put his own self interest aside and backed her 100%. That is something that is 100% to be commended. Moreso than anyone else, I feel that Lit has been open to new ideas, and has both accepted and worked with criticism of his own ideas. That is a very powerful trait to have, especially in a setting in which we are gearing towards a more community-driven FB.

Emi also gets a major mention here, as she has been critical to the renovation process. She is very good at presenting alternative viewpoints to what is necessarily the majority train of thought, and is unafraid and unabashed when supporting those viewpoints. This characteristic is also essential in a functional moderating team, as a critical perspective is almost always needed to hone and rework "rough" ideas into ones that are overall great. There are few candidates that offer this, and fewer to the same degree. I fully support her.

Finally, Sneaze. Of everyone in the hat, this man has the best organizational abilities. We absolutely need someone like him on the team; his mindset is geared towards reasonable and timely implementation without sacrificing quality. There are a lot of ideas floating around, many vague and in perhaps infant stages. If we want to see them bloom, we need direction. Ultimately, I think direction is what Sneaze provides moreso than any other candidate, in addition to his excellent community-management skills/experience. I think that the importance of this quality has been understated by quite a large margin.

Anyway, these are just my own thoughts. Feel free to field questions if I've been unclear on anything, or if you'd like further comments!
Old 04-27-2017, 12:16 PM   #4
Escalion
Getting married! :D

Send a message via Skype™ to Escalion
On the topic of the mod election, there's something I wanted to ask all the nominees. Something that hasn't been talked about yet in the current Phase 2 discussion. So far I have only seen each and every one of you talk about everyone else. That is a good talk to have, but so far one question remains unanswered that in my opinion is important to ask for this phase, as well as the eventual voting round.

That question is this; What do you think of yourself? Why should YOU become moderator?
Old 04-27-2017, 01:39 PM   #5
Sneaze
Mrow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altocharizard55 View Post
So, I'll begin by posing the following question to all of the moderators-to-be. Who do you work best with, in your eyes? That is, assuming you were elected, who would you chose to work with ideally?
So when this question was originally posed to me I answered EAI and Emi, but after giving it a bit more thought I'd say Emi and Marion. I respect both of them to no end, and they both have viewpoints different enough from my own that it makes for better fleshing out of ideas. Beyond that, they both have shown time and again how to handle situations both with myself and with eachother when not agreeing on a point in a calm and effective manner. I just honestly feel like these two would best be able to handle my personality which can be somewhat... blunt?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Escalion View Post
On the topic of the mod election, there's something I wanted to ask all the nominees. Something that hasn't been talked about yet in the current Phase 2 discussion. So far I have only seen each and every one of you talk about everyone else. That is a good talk to have, but so far one question remains unanswered that in my opinion is important to ask for this phase, as well as the eventual voting round.

That question is this; What do you think of yourself? Why should YOU become moderator?
For the record we've all shied away from talking about ourselves due to the high likelihood of it turning into defending ourselves, I would imagine, which is unalloyed by the rules so as to allow a clear judgement free zone.

That said, I think I covered this a bit already in the nomination questions, I have no plans of running over the other mods, but I am absolutely not afraid to speak my mind or kick stagnation into gear so things can progress smoothly as we rebuild. Beyond the point of restructuring, I read pretty much everything, so if a member has a concern anywhere I'll likely see it and attempt to have it brought to light and rectified. I know I come off pig headed at times, but really I just want things done quickly and done right.

Daisy wins at life for making this Battle Cut
Old 04-27-2017, 02:02 PM   #6
Lil'twick
Insanity

Send a message via Skype™ to Lil'twick
This is a phone post so I am sorry if this isn't the prettiest looking response. Anywayd I want to quick say that we wanted to avoid the candidates talk about themselved in thr main thread for a couple of reasons. First of all it could potentially lead to people just defending themselves instead of constructive discussion on who is actually the most suited. Second of all, it would show their own vested interests and seem everything they could say to be self-promoted. It is something that should be adressed, so I do think responding here would be good. First Alto's question.

I honestly see myself working with any of Sneaze/Emi/Marion being compoletely honest. I know a lot of people have either voiced or thought both Emi and I together bring a rather quite volatile or radical combination. I do understand their concerns, but at the same time I do feel we'd be a really good power duo if we could work out our differences. Alto is right in the fact that she and I have both been major players in the padt few weeks, and have pushed for at leadt a few of the ideas suggested so far. I can see the two of us rapidly bouncing ideas off on a subject matter until we can both agree on something that works, and then develop to a point where we could propose it to the community. For me the thing is I do feel we could get a lot done in a short time frame, and have a good enough understanding of the other's limitations where things won't nust blow up.

I've worked with Sneaze and Marion before, and most of the logic behind Emi with them can apply to myself as well. I really don't have more to add that hasn't been said.

Now onto Esca's question.

The reason I want this is to prove myself to people. That I'm not a kid with anger issues anymore, but someone who could present a different perspective while keeping a level head. I know I have a lot of different, creative ideas in my mind and can easily see thr basis in proposals and offer my perspective due to this. Despite my infamy for demotivation and hotheadedness, I will see things through. I will stick through things until the end, or until I have reached my own personal limits and know I can pass things off into better hands. I make sure I know ehat's happening in terms of thr game and the community, and I try to help people when needed. I'm honestly tired of people holding me to my past mistakes. I've learned from them, and honestly it does hurt that people have been writing me off.

I see myself as someone who can offer a lot of advice in terms of ideas and proposals, and I do not tolerate bullshit. I know my weaknesses now, and I wont bite off more than I can chew now. I am forgetful, but a gentle nudge is generally what it takes to get going again. I feel I've mellowed out in terms of anger, and I know I still get passionate. I try to be blunt, and I wont let people try and silence me. I'm tired of being on the back end of costant jokes. I'm tired of no one taking me seriously. If I got this, then maybr just once people would consider me, instead of just writing me off. I understand if I don't get this, I most likely wont at this point. I just feel I have to prove myself... So I'm sorry if I'm sounding like a broken record. I'll try my best to do whatever it takes.

I fill my lungs with everything
You want someone that I can't be
You say it's insanity, but
I say that's my life

Fizzy Bubbles
Old 04-27-2017, 06:27 PM   #7
Marion Ette
Blades and Butterflies

"I can work well with any of our nominees" probably sounds like such a Miss America style cop-out answer, but it's honestly the one that comes to mind for me. Perhaps the better approach would be to describe my past experiences and opinions on working with the other nominees and explain why, for me, choosing only two of the five is such a difficult endeavor.

During the foundation of the UPN RP subforums a couple years back, we had formed a development Skype thread, in which Sneaze, Emi and Lit played integral roles brainstorming of subforum structure and the formulation of rules - Lit, in particular, put forth a lot of effort in brainstorming and organizing our thoughts in this venture, much to his credit. All three have been strong voices both on-forum and in the Discord development threads, and our discussions have been productive and helpful. I have been impressed with their passion and their dedication, as well as maintaining a practical, no-nonsense attitude toward getting things done and done right.

I consider MM and Rue both talented RPers and dear friends, and both have served as calm, reassuring presences in times of great chaos and uncertainty. They are consistent, dependable and reasonable people with a long FB track record. I have discussed a number of the changes FB has faced over the years with them, and I trust in their judgment. I would be happy to work with either or both of them, and indeed, I nominated Rue and supported the nomination of MM.

EAI is the candidate I have least experience with personally, but he strikes me as the type of person with whom I could have a respectful, productive working relationship. I don't have the same pile of evidence for this as I do with the other five candidates in question, but based on pure observation and instinct, I would argue this to be the case.

So, really, how do I choose? Well, objectively, I need a pair of mods who will really challenge me - who will get me thinking, and work hard - who can counteract my big-picture approach with the ability to consider the finer details. Emi, EAI and Sneaze all come to mind, here. So perhaps that's the best answer - two of the three.

As for me... I am a diplomat by nature. I choose my words very carefully. This post itself easily took me an hour to write, and was edited, re-edited, re-hashed, checked for subtleties... This is how I operate. I am careful and deliberate. Even so, many of the arguments regarding the strengths I would bring to the table as a mod have already been made for me, by the community and by the other nominees - this fact has truly humbled me and filled me with gratitude for the support and appreciation I have received, and I want to pay it forward. I want FB - the place that is home to so many crazy adventures and amazing memories for me and all the friends I've made here - to live up to its full potential, and for others to experience the same beautiful madness that I have seen unfold over the past 14 years.

I will foster that sense of community and creativity however I can. If it means being a mod, so be it. If it means assisting others in the creation of new zones, or creating one of my own, so be it. I intend to get to work - it simply depends on whether the community would prefer me to work as a moderator.

Regardless, I will provide my insights, opinions, creative input...

Old 04-28-2017, 12:19 PM   #8
Emi
Barghest Barghest Barghe-

Send a message via Skype™ to Emi
Quote:
It's difficult to answer this question, because I'm really of the opinion that no matter who I was paired up with, I would work to make that, for a lack of a better phrase, professional relationship sing. I would probably work best with people who are more mild-mannered and less likely to rub me the wrong way. But that's mostly because my mood tends to fluctuate and I don't want to bite back if I'm having a bad day. Ultimately though, I think I can make it work with any of the nominations made right now.

Quote:
I haven't actually considered this question because I've been approaching the moderation topic as if I was already out of the running, to reduce the bias in looking at the candidates. But I think at the moment, I have the ability to level-headedly run FB in a way that's going to make it more fun for everyone else. I know people are concerned about my mental health, but my situation is very unique and I think having something like FB, even if it is stressful, will give me something to take my mind off of my current situation. Ultimately, I love this game, I love the community, and I think that will keep me looking forwards.
Old 04-28-2017, 01:37 PM   #9
Ex-Admiral Insane
Marsh Badge

Send a message via Skype™ to Ex-Admiral Insane
Since the others have answered the question, it would be shameful of me to ignore them and not do the same.

Quote:
Who do you work best with, in your eyes? That is, assuming you were elected, who would you chose to work with ideally?
I haven’t worked with any of these members before on any projects so I can mostly only speculate. It might not be that I would get along swimmingly with everyone at first but I’m sure minor kinks and interpersonal relationships can be worked out to have a team that functions.
Rue and MM are obvious choices, but that’s mostly due to both of them getting along with practically everybody, and not so much because of me.
After that I’d have to say; Marion and then either Emi or Sneaze. Again, I have no real experience working with them so I’m basing this on subjective feelings mostly, which is something that can change over time. All three have on more than one occasion made it easier for me to convey a thought, without having to spend hours properly phrasing and re-phrasing it, or even forcing me to backtrack through what I said and trying a different approach, all because of a poor choice of words. It would be my fault of course that I can’t always properly convey a message – something I will have to continue working on - but having to not worry about it so much in individual communication would make it infinitely less stressful for me by not having to to (wastefully) quadruple my time wording out a single thought, which in turn would make me so much more efficient at any task I’d have to do. I think that would honestly apply for anyone working with them, Marion mostly.
As for Lit; I can still see myself working with him. He’s mentioned how we’ve occasionally butted heads, but it’s been peaceful so far and I think it could ultimately help in creating functional mechanics. We might have to spend a bit more time finding a so-called ‘sweet spot’ in interacting, but by no means would I discount him for it.

Quote:
What do you think of yourself? Why should YOU become moderator?
Honestly, I wasn’t thinking about going for a modship at first until I saw my name being mentioned a few times. At the start of this overhaul I was mostly just trying to get a discussion going on how to tackle the situation, and giving my input where possible - out of interest in FB, and not much else really. And that’s something I would continue doing in the future; working on making FB better where possible and trying my best to get the community to weigh in on its aspects.
As for how I see myself; I suppose I have some leadership skills like others mentioned though I haven’t thought much about it until they did. I don’t hold any illusions though; I’m aware I still have a lot of room for growth, as a person, a roleplayer, an updater but also as someone in a leadership position if that would happen, but I’m excited about getting the opportunity for that growth if I could. I’m usually a lot more calm and quiet, reserved even. It’s usually only when it concerns a topic I care for that I become resolute and headstrong – traits others have mentioned about me both IRL and in the nomination thread - and I firmly believe (haha) I can translate that to something good for FB.

Fizzy Bubbles Team:
Spoiler: show
Party:
Traitors:
Lost Souls:
Old 04-28-2017, 02:15 PM   #10
Altocharizard55
The Scientist

I feel as if neither Emi nor EAI have answered my question sufficiently. Both answers more or less amount to "I can work with anyone" and fail to express a narrow enough selection for the purpose of the question. (To be fair, EAI did give a lot more reasoning, but I'd like to see a little more discernment.) In this interest, I will rephrase.

Assume you have been elected a moderator. If you could pick precisely two people to work with you at this very moment, who would they be, and why them over any other candidates?

The point of this question was to be discretionary. You are building your ideal team, centered at you. I want to hear what your thought processes are for selecting this team. I feel Marion and Lit have more or less answered this with adequate precision. I'd like to hear perhaps a little more thought from Sneaze, although his answer is also acceptable.
Old 04-28-2017, 02:31 PM   #11
Ex-Admiral Insane
Marsh Badge

And my answer is Marion, and then either Sneaze or Emi. I don't have any strong feelings towards either of them because again; I have no real experience interacting with them on any building projects or similar, so it's really hard for me to provide any real justified reasoning.
If I had a gun to my head I suppose at this point (when having to discount MM and Rue) I'd say Marion and Emi. Marion because of the reasons mentioned before, and in the nominations thread, as well as the fact for how she can present herself. She strikes me as the type of person where if she had a large disagreement on something the discussion would remain polite and each response would bring something constructive to work with. Emi I would then pick over Sneaze largely because I think all of Sneaze's main assets would have been accounted for in this group of three, and Emi would provide a more opposing view on some matters which would make the group more constructive when working out some of the mechanics.

Fizzy Bubbles Team:
Party:
Traitors:
Lost Souls:

Last edited by Ex-Admiral Insane; 04-28-2017 at 02:37 PM.
Old 04-28-2017, 04:31 PM   #12
Marion Ette
Blades and Butterflies

ATTENTION:

The nominees would appreciate hearing the community's choices for moderator teams, along with their reasoning. Bear in mind that this is not an official vote, and combinations proposed are not binding - however, we would like to hear from you to ensure that the combination we set forth will be one that the community as a whole will support. Thank you to all who have contributed and will contribute to this election process!
Old 04-28-2017, 06:39 PM   #13
Altocharizard55
The Scientist

Still hoping to hear from MM and Rue, as well!
Old 04-28-2017, 07:10 PM   #14
Missingno. Master
An actual game I made!

Quote:
Still hoping to hear from MM and Rue, as well!
I'm working on answers to both questions. Hoping to post them sometime tonight.
Old 04-28-2017, 08:50 PM   #15
Missingno. Master
An actual game I made!

Quote:
Assume you have been elected a moderator. If you could pick precisely two people to work with you at this very moment, who would they be, and why them over any other candidates?
Marion and Emi both spring readily to mind. Marion and I have talked many times before about FB, and we tend to agree on a lot of the things FB could really use. And I feel like Emi and I have been working out a lot of good ideas and trying to get things done around here, and I just feel like I'd work well with her based on how things have been going so far. Honorable mention goes to Rue, as he and I share similar ideas on what we want FB to look like a year from now, though I chose Marion and Emi over him because the point's been made and pretty well agreed upon (including by me) that he and I would fulfill very similar roles as mods.

Quote:
What do you think of yourself? Why should YOU become moderator?
If I'm being honest, I've had no small amount of doubts about my involvement in this whole thing. I tend to think the community has more faith in me than I have in myself, and my main worry here is whether I would let everyone down. Now, that being said, as modest as I want to be, I can't deny some of the points that have been made about me- namely, that I care about FB and about this community, that I always like to help the new members feel welcome, and that I'm always willing to point someone in the right direction if they're not sure what to do about something. I did say I have my concerns about myself, and I'm not inclined to argue with those who agree with those concerns, but I will say that if I didn't consider the possibility that I might possibly be worrying too much about this, I wouldn't have accepted the nomination in the first place.
Old 04-28-2017, 09:22 PM   #16
Emi

Quote:
If I could, I would probably pick EAI and Marion. First of all, they're both really good mod candidates and great people to bounce ideas off of, and I trust both of them to be able to point out flaws in my own ideas respectfully. Secondly, I feel like the three of us would be able to make a cohesive team that can work together on issues without getting abrasive or indecisive. There's a lot of trust and respect in this team and that kind of environment is one that I would personally flourish in.
Old 04-29-2017, 09:06 AM   #17
Snorby
Snackin'

Okay, if no one minds me asking,
I've got a question...

For the candidates other than MM and Rue:
Let's say you get your preferred mod team. Would you want to take MM or Rue under your team's collective wing immediately? Some time (give a rough estimate) in the future? Never? Why is that your preferred method? If not never, which of them would you want and why would you want them?

Click on Fawful for my ASB squad summary. Other links coming soon.
Old 04-29-2017, 09:44 AM   #18
Marion Ette
Blades and Butterflies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snorby View Post
I've got a question...

Let's say you get your preferred mod team. Would you want to take MM or Rue under your team's collective wing immediately? Some time (give a rough estimate) in the future? Never? Why is that your preferred method? If not never, which of them would you want and why would you want them?
I anticipate being in communication with MM and Rue regardless of the outcome of the election, so - my sense is that if I received the position with two of my three chosen members, I would be encouraging MM and Rue to provide their input to our discussions and in the community, and essentially working with them over the next few weeks as the development process kicks into full gear. It may very well be that they decide to take on responsibilities other than modship to assist with the community (SO, ZA, some combination of both), but if they both decide after a time that modship is still their chosen path, I will likely prep either one or both to take on the role as needs arise. There is a very real possibility that I will need to step down in two years time, and if that is the case, they will be ready to step in and pick up the torch, so to speak. But there may be other opportunities, too - for example, if we did somehow decide to expand FB to an additional forum (not necessarily BMG or Serebii), we may need an additional moderator to help with expansion and incorporation of both forums, or if UPN FB expands to such an extent that three moderators aren't enough to handle everything, these are opportunities, too. They may also be able to assist with moderating seasonal events, contests, etc even if they are not "official" moderators, so... I can see a lot of ways we can involve them even before a slot opens or a need for a fourth mod is determined.

In some ways, I feel this invitation should be extended not only to MM and Rue, but essentially all four candidates who do not receive the position. Even if official moderating duties are not bestowed, there are opportunities for contest and event moderation, for taking on roles of responsibility, and for taking on modship down the road. The community has placed its trust in these candidates, and I think we owe it to them to give them as many opportunities to shape the community for the better as possible.
Old 04-29-2017, 09:54 AM   #19
Emi

Quote:
I would probably ask the question at a later date, once FB has stabilized and they have decided for themselves what path they want to go on. If they would rather be an SO or a ZA, that's completely fine. If they feel that they want to be a moderator, I would be glad to invite them under our collective wing. I don't want to force it upon them.

I'm also going to agree with Marion on a couple of points as well: there may be a need for a fourth mod in the future even before FB has calmed down, or FB grows more than we expect it too. I also agree that all the mod nominees should have this opportunity, and not just MM or Rue.
Old 04-29-2017, 11:09 AM   #20
Ex-Admiral Insane
Marsh Badge

Quote:
I've got a question...

I want to stress first though that nothing's set in stone, and my opinion may change over time with new developments.

I wouldn't say never. Both had really good reasons for being nominated and would make great additions to a moderating team, but they're almost out of the running now because of a few key aspects they're missing (see: Nomination Thread for discussion). The promise was that they would be taken up later but I still think it would help to have at least one of them act as a silent partner of sorts; not a real moderator but someone who does stay in contact to learn the ropes.
Whether they're taken under the wing now or later after FB has calmed down is dependent on them though. I believe it is necessary that they become somewhat involved just for the sake of experience, as well as the fact that the community's approval of them isn't something we can outright ignore. But if they decide to wait first or, as Marion stated, take up a different role, then I can't force them to join now.
(Parroting this;) I have to agree with Marion's sentiment that with an uncertain future of how FB expands it may become necessary to take up more than the three mods we're discussing now and it doesn't necessarily mean the only choices should be MM or Rue.
If I had to choose like you asked me between the two of them I would choose MM. I've explained it in the nominations thread already that I think the two of them provide similar benefits to a moderating team with MM having the upper hand in this.

Fizzy Bubbles Team:
Party:
Traitors:
Lost Souls:
Old 04-29-2017, 01:12 PM   #21
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Admiral Insane View Post
Both had really good reasons for being nominated and would make great additions to a moderating team, but they're almost out of the running now because of a few key aspects they're missing (see: Nomination Thread for discussion).
Says who? The nominees have mostly been the ones talking amongst themselves about one another. You guys are the ones planting seeds like, "So-and-so isn't qualified" or "So-and-so wouldn't be as good of a choice as so-and-so-else." Unless a quorum has been held off site, and I know one hasn't been held on site, I don't think anyone can possibly know whether someone is or is not out of the running until the votes are in.

One thing I would like to address is the recurring criticism that some nominees lack leadership experience. I dislike this criticism as it's a self-fulfilling prophecy. How's a nominee to gain any leadership experience if you won't allow him to lead in the first place -- on the basis of lack of leadership experience!? "Can't get money without a job. Can't get a job without a degree. Can't get a degree without money!" It's like one of those old TV commercials. If the only way to get leadership experience is to already have leadership experience, then you've written yourself a paradox. At some point, you have to be willing to take a gamble on new blood who have never led before.

Another thing I'd like to address is all of this "dream team trio" talk. While it's well and good to fantasize about who your dream team trio of moderators would be, that isn't how the election is programmed to go down -- is it? People aren't being asked to vote for trios joined at the hip -- they're being asked to vote for individual candidates. You might have reasoned out in the nominee discussion thread that a particular trio would work beautifully or terribly together, but -- correct me if I'm wrong -- you have no authority to ensure that the votes turn out that way, correct? Voters on Election Day will be voting for the individual candidates they think best suit the position. Meaning the trio that forms will be the three individuals who got the most independent votes -- and not necessarily the co-packaged "trio" that people thought would work best together. Easy enough example to make this clearer: if 40% of the forum voted ABC, and another 40% of the forum voted CDE, and the final 20% of the forum voted BDF*, you might wind up with a trio of BCD, and not either of ABC or CDE. Even if you've concluded in the Nominee Discussion thread, "Oh man, BCD would be terrible. We have to avoid BCD at all costs," it doesn't matter if B, C, and D are the three who end up with the most votes. Correct? Incorrect?

* In the example above, the vote percentages end up as: A 40%, B 60%, C 80%, D 60%, E 40%, F 20%. Thus, BCD is the trio that wins even though absolutely no one voted for that exact trio.
Old 04-29-2017, 01:17 PM   #22
Altocharizard55
The Scientist

Actually, you're flat out wrong Talon. The point is, they discuss, choose three, and we vote from there.

Voting on the individual candidates, I feel, is missing the point entirely. Additionally, bar my yes vote to Marion, literally all of my votes are conditional on the 3-person group proposed (if we were voting individually).
Old 04-29-2017, 01:42 PM   #23
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Actually, you're flat out wrong Talon. The point is, they discuss, choose three, and we vote from there.
That wasn't clear to me, but thanks for the correction.

Quote:
Voting on the individual candidates, I feel, is missing the point entirely. Additionally, bar my yes vote to Marion, literally all of my votes are conditional on the 3-person group proposed (if we were voting individually).
Why? Why is it "missing the point entirely"? Are we voting on a council? Or are we voting on the individuals we think best qualify?

Let me ask this then -- is this how it's going to go?

A. They give us three names. We choose one name. They then repeat back to us the same two old names from before, but introduce a new third name. This process continues until we've selected three people.

B. They give us three names. We vote one single time, those three get over 50% of the vote, and that's GG -- say hello to your new council of mods.

A I would be more comfortable with. B is hilariously undemocratic, as it basically says this:
  • 85% of the community could have wanted MM to be a mod, and he got nominated
  • 5% of the community could have wanted X to be a mod, but he likewise got nominated. A nomination's all it takes.
  • 5% again for Y, and 5% again for Z. So in this manner, we get X, Y, and Z nominated despite only 5% of FBers wanting to nominate them.
  • X, Y, and Z engineer the mod discussions such that they wind up as a team. More importantly, they ensure that MM doesn't wind up on the ballot.
  • They put it to a vote, X, Y, Z.
  • UPN is too chill to not give X, Y, and Z a simple majority vote. They will win.
  • Sayonara, MM. Even though everyone and their mother wanted you to mod.
Now I'm not saying that this is what has taken place. I'm just saying, this method allows for this to take place. It's hugely undemocratic. It flies in the face of the will of the people.

I've been following along from home, but now all of a sudden "MM is out of the running, it's been decided" I'm reading and I'm all "What the ...? " How? Who? When? Why?

Speaking bluntly -- the only reason MM should not be a mod is if he would be unhappy being one. That's it. He otherwise hugely deserves it, for a host of reasons. Not the least of which is --

His commitment to this community, come what may. Half of the nominees are people who quit FB for one reason or another. MM stuck with it forever. He didn't give up on the game or the community. For all this talk of "So-and-so might vanish tomorrow, so I dunno ... ", MM is like the least likely person to up and vanish on the community.

Does he have leadership experience? No.

Is he a big putter-forth of ideas? Not to my recollection, no. I would say the nominee-discussed assessment of MM as someone who opines on others' ideas but has few original ones of his own is, based on the record, probably a fair one.

But he doesn't have to be the idea putter-forward. He doesn't have to come to the table with prior leadership experience. He simply has to weigh in on community discussions and on council discussions.

I get the pragmatic argument of "We're voting for a leader here, not for a mascot." I get that, believe me, I do. But I just think it's plain flatly wrong to rule out MM as a mod candidate. This is the FB equivalent of passing over for promotion the guy at work who everyone loves, has been with the company for 20 years, etc, just because "he isn't management material." Again, it may make pragmatic sense in the workplace, but I don't like it there and I don't have to like it here either.
Old 04-29-2017, 01:44 PM   #24
Altocharizard55
The Scientist

B. (As far as I know)
Old 04-29-2017, 01:51 PM   #25
Snorby
Snackin'

Quote:
Phase 3: Once it has been narrowed down to these three, the forum will then give their results to the community to vote on. Each mod will be voted on individually, and as such must have a yes majority to be considered elected. If they do not have majority vote, then the process will start again until three mods are approved by the community.
According to Jeri's post, I believe it's Option C: We're given three names, the FB community votes Yes or No on each of the three, if anyone is voted down another person is nominated to replace them on the team.

Click on Fawful for my ASB squad summary. Other links coming soon.
Closed Thread

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > Independent Forums > Fizzy Bubbles > FB Time Out > Hall of Records