UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Fanart & Fanfiction

Old 09-25-2011, 11:46 PM   #1
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
Magikarp Help me artists

I've got an image that I designed based off of a battle standard in Sengoku Rance, the eight-pronged shuriken of the Iga Village.

If you look at the head-band, it's got a lot of .jpg artifacts that makes it ugly. I had a high resolution .jpg made, but BVS has its own compression mode and adds artifacts to whatever picture is put up there. It's compressed by the website to make it smaller, so pages load faster. But some people have managed to make images so they survive the compression process, though I don't know how they do it.

To anyone here skilled with 'shop - could you take the original I made and edit it into a .jpg that will survive the compression process without getting artifacts? I would bow so low I would kiss your toes, even if you have Athlete's Foot.

Here's the high resolution .png version: http://i54.tinypic.com/f9jepz.png
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 03:11 PM   #2
Hanatori
Skippy.

Jumpluff

Does this work? It's apparently smaller than the compressed image up there. oO
Old 09-28-2011, 01:35 PM   #3
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

.jpg are smaller than .png, so the .png I posted should be the largest of any pre-compressed images.

I used your .jpg, but the product still has artifacts (see the original link, the new banner replaced my old one).

BVS has this annoying compression software, and I don't know how to make images that survive it.

The person who did Heparin's avatar used a technique I don't know. All I can do is post the before/after pictures.

Before (looks best until it gets compressed)
After (survives compression)
Current (survived compression)
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 09-28-2011, 01:55 PM   #4
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I'll see what I can do, though I doubt I'll be able to be of any help. All I'm going to be able to try is to open it up in GIMP (open source PhotoShop) and save it under various parameters (e.g. Smallest Size 85% quality, Smallest Size 100% quality, Best Quality 85% quality, Best Quality 100% quality, etc). There won't be anything special about the image itself, though, and so I doubt it will survive whatever compression process it is that you're talking about.

The reason I'm really posting is to reply to this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
.jpg are smaller than .png, so the .png I posted should be the largest of any pre-compressed images.
Not necessarily so. PNGs are smaller than JPGs when (1) the number of total colors in the picture are few and (2) the size of the color fields relative to the size of the canvas are large.

What I mean by this is, a PNG of a solid red block on a solid white background (2 colors, 2 fields) will be smaller than the corresponding JPG. I can't show you this via uploaded example right now, but you can test it out for yourself if you like by using MSPaint to do what I just described. (Solid red rectangle atop solid white background.) Here, the difference isn't very much -- in my own desktop experiment just now, my PNG came out to 14.1 KB and my JPG came out to 14.9 KB, so only a marginal difference of 0.8 KB -- but the point still stands, and sometimes the difference can be more significant (e.g. a 16 KB PNG versus a 40 KB JPG). Increase the number of colors by just a few -- I added a blue block, an orange block, and a green block to the picture, no overlapping, so five unique color fields in total -- and already the PNG begins to become larger than the JPG. (23.7 KB for the JPG versus 24.7 KB for the PNG, so a 1.0 KB difference in the direction opposite to where we'd been before.)

The effect can be quite dramatic for large canvases. Make your canvas 4000 x 4000 pixels. Make the background solid red and using a white paintbrush make a single, connected mark. (Any pattern you like so long as it's all connected.) Save it as a PNG and as a JPG. For me, the PNG comes out to be 327 KB while the JPG comes out to be 460 KB. Not only is this 133 KB smaller (or nearly 25% the size of the JPG smaller), but I actually expected the PNG to be smaller and am wondering if this Windows 7 paint program is not saving the red color field as a true mono-flat field. (May try again at home via WinXP MSPaint.) Regardless, the point is that PNGs are generally larger in filesize than JPGs but not always. That's all I wanted to say.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 01:45 PM   #5
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Doppel, I am so sorry for forgetting to do this. Here are four different versions which I saved using GIMP: (click on the section headers below to access each picture)

Option 1: 85%, Smallest File
This is GIMP's default when I ask it to convert this from PNG to JPG. I do not expect it to be what you seek.

Option 2: 100%, Smallest File
This is the prettiest GIMP can make it while prioritizing the goal of a small file size. I also do not expect this to be what you want.

Option 3: 85%, Best Quality
This is a non-sensical combination of two of GIMP's functions but I figured "why the heck not." I do not expect it to be what you want.

Option 4: 100%, Best Quality
This is the one I think you want. The bad news is, it's larger than the original PNG. But I've told you before that this can happen when working with (1) particularly small resolutions and (2) particularly simple color fields. Both were true of the parent file, so don't be too bummed out that we went up a few kilobytes in size. Anyway, the good news is, this is the one that maximizes image clarity (at the expense of file size) and should be what you wanted.

If it's not? Then I guess I can't help you after all. ^^;

Note: I intend to take these images down after you confirm that you've gotten them. So ... if they are what you want, save 'em, Doppel. They won't be up forever for you to hotlink to or something.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 12:26 AM   #6
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Thanks, I got them.

I must assert though that the issue isn't size per-se...animecubed will chop off kb from the image no matter how small it is, but it's not just a single % size, so I can't say "it always chops off 10% of the kb size".

The issue isn't really how much size is chopped off, as head-band images aren't equal. It's preventing the formation of artifacts that deface the image.

I used your best quality image, and pre-compression, here's what I see on the preview page:

The fellow who worked on my avatar there - Jugai - did something to the artwork. I'm not sure what he did, exactly, but it happened so that when my image went through the masher, it didn't accumulate a lot of artifacts.

Original: http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/8850/heparin7.jpg
Pre-Compression Jugai: http://5358.iz.piccy.info.nyud.net:8.../heparin7s.jpg
Post-Compression Jugai: http://www.animecubed.com/billy/user...ars/100563.jpg

Also, some of my own comparison work, before Jugai did anything: http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/3672/hepatic.png

1. 200x250 .png.
2. 200x250 .jpg.
3. 200x250 .jpg, original compression
4. 200x250 .jpg, #2 uploaded to animecubed
5. 400x460 .jpg, resized/uploaded to animecubed

As you can see, animecubed butchers the picture quality SO BADLY, you can literally see the haemoglobin erupting out of my hairpin's membrane.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Fanart & Fanfiction