UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Debate

Old 02-11-2015, 08:34 PM   #1
Mercutio
Banned

Volcarona Pokémon's End

Two simple questions:

1) What will the National Pokédex number of the last ever Pokémon be?

2) What should the National Pokédex number of the last ever Pokémon be?

Essentially I want to know how many Pokémon you think there will be before Gamefreak finally decides to pull the plug, and whether you think it will be too late or too early. Many would say that Pokémon has years of life in it and is continuously re-inventing itself, but has it jumped the shark yet?
Mercutio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 08:41 PM   #2
Slash
Silver LO

Send a message via Yahoo to Slash Send a message via Skype™ to Slash
Pokemon is all about change, about evolution. Sure, a lot of the older fanbase will bitch and moan, but they're been crying "ruined forever" for one thing or another since Hoenn, maybe since Jhoto. And yet they continue to buy. I think it still has a lot of life in it.

So I don't know where it will end. I'm not sure it should.

Small post but I might expand later
KAIRNE I WILL RIP OFF YOUR SCROTUM AND FEED IT TO YOU THROUGH A FUCKING SWIRLY STRAW.

Slash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 08:43 PM   #3
precita
Boulder Badge

Judging by the fact that Mario and Zelda began in the 80's and are still going on today nearly 30 years later, I don't think Pokemon will ever end. Like Mario, Zelda, Donkey Kong, etc. Nintendo will support it forever.

Will there eventually be a point where there's too many Pokemon? Yeah, we'll hit 1,000 in the Pokdex within the next gen or two, and I think it'll continue to on beyond that.

People have been trying to predict Pokemon's death since like 2000...here we are 15 years later. It'll be here 15 more years in the future in 2030 too.
precita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 08:50 PM   #4
Fallen
Boulder Badge

Send a message via Skype™ to Fallen
I do think that there have been some bad ideas for Pokemon, and I'm sure everyone does. But one of the beauties of Pokemon is that everything has a niche. While some of the designs are generally disliked, there are plenty of people who like even these guys! Garbador, here's looking at you, kid.

I don't think Pokemon is going to, or should, end anywhere in the near or possibly distant future.
Fallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 08:50 PM   #5
RealMrGame10
CAN'T BELIEVE KH3 IS HERE

To be honest, Pokemon has become one of those mainstay powerhouse franchises that will probably be around until video games/Nintendo cease to be a thing. At this point, since we haven't seen any of the other major franchises (excluding Mega Man cause that doesn't count) fail, we simply don't have enough information to see what the end of such a series would look like. Additionally, despite complaints about quality and such of Pokemon, the amount of younger people AND older people who continue to show devoted interest in the series does not seem to be on too steep of a decline, so I would imagine that the number of Pokemon would well exceed 1000 before showing signs of slowing down.

WHEN YOU WALK AWAY

D- Ref on PASBL
(PASBL squad!)
Let's go WILD
I will battle for cheap

lol who knows
RealMrGame10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 09:00 PM   #6
Kuvario
Mysterious Knight

1) National Pokédex number 9,000.

2) National Pokédex number 999.

I think it's getting reasonably close to jumping the shark, after all they did make that whole twist at the end of the Delta Episode. It feels like they're trying too hard to make it interesting with the whole alternative timelines, universes, and the Draconids, etc. Although it could be because I'm just burnt out of Pokemon after ORAS and I'm rambling on.

As for if it'll stay or not, it will. If Mario, a simplistic platformer (not an insult to Mario, but it is that, in a way) can stay for almost 30 years, Pokemon will likely stay. Although I can imagine it'll lose relevance ever so slightly, not saying it will, but it is possible.
Kuvario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 09:05 PM   #7
Talon87
時の彼方へ

A1. No way for me to know but I will guess that it'll be 1,000 or greater. Once we pass 1,000 (千), the next natural "round even number" for it in Japanese would be 10,000 (万), so I guess they could go that far. But that would be pretty damn ridiculous. No, I think they will stop somewhere between 1,000 and 1,510, inclusive.

A2. I guess I'd say that we already passed my last stop before 2,000 or thereabouts and so it's 2,000 now. 500 or so would've probably been my last "STOP HERE! @_@" point. 2,000 is the next in line for no really good reason other than:
  • I worry we'll hit 1,000 before doing all the things I want to see done
    • blue jay
    • snowy owl
    • woodpecker
    • water beetle
    Not because we don't have time but because Game Freak will just forget to do it.
  • I worry that more than 2,000 will not be manageably memorizable, but that 2,000 is feasible.
    • It's one order of magnitude higher than bones in your body.
    • It's roughly the same number of kanji the Japansse Ministry of Education says you need to know how to read to be fluently literate.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 09:24 PM   #8
Toyo
hail

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealMrGame10 View Post
At this point, since we haven't seen any of the other major franchises (excluding Mega Man cause that doesn't count) fail, we simply don't have enough information to see what the end of such a series would look like.
Spoiler: show

soon

Joking aside, 1000-2000 sounds like a good number of Pokemon to me and I can't imagine Gamefreak making much more than that without repeating. Not to mention that the games don't really need new Pokemon to do things within the series.

Once the PokeMMO is released in the year 2235, we won't really need new pokemon. =)

nintendo plz
Toyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 09:26 PM   #9
precita
Boulder Badge

I remember people used to think 500 pokemon would be too much and it would stop there, and its well passed that now. Also if count Mega Evolutions (which we probably should, despite not being traditional new pokemon in the Pokedex) we're already well close to 900 pokemon as is.

I wonder how many times this topic has been created since like the year 2000, and I mean on the internet in general. People have been speculating the end of Pokemon since like 2000.
Old 02-12-2015, 06:24 AM   #10
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

Send a message via Skype™ to Concept
Agreed. New main series games (with new pokemon and regions) is a license for gamefreak to print money and their popularity shows no more sign of waning now than it did 15 years ago. They could make excellent games without the need for either new regions or mon (see: BW2) but from their point of view why would they - BW2 sales were comparable to third versions, not a main series game. If new gens like XY makes them more money than gen-internal sequels like BW2 then that's what they focus on making.

Making new pokemon will continue to make them money so they'll continue to do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyoyo3131 View Post
Joking aside, 1000-2000 sounds like a good number of Pokemon to me and I can't imagine Gamefreak making much more than that without repeating.
There have been repeated pokemon designs since gen III, and mega's are an excuse to make a much higher proportion of "new" mon just repeats/slight redesigns of existing ones. I suspect gen VI size gens with mega's making up the numbers will be the norm at least for the forseeable future.
Concept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 07:04 AM   #11
Heather
Naga's Voice

Yeah Pokemon won't go away anytime soon but it's going to grow so much that the size is going to become a huge issue for comp. it already is a problem, but it's somewhat manageable now, but once there's over 1000 Pokemon, there's just going to be too many to keep a viable meta, especially if movepools make them one trick ponies as they've been doing since gen 5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTheFishGuy View Post
Quoth the Honchkrow (nevermore!).
Fizzy Member Post: Catherine Park
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 09:14 AM   #12
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

I wouldn't be surprised if in the not so distant future we see more restrictions on what you can use in VGC, in the hopes it permeates to the meta at large. To use a card game analogy Pokemon is currently like YuGiOh - some stuff is banned for being OP, but everything else is legal no matter how old. I could see it switching to a Magic style format (in several Magic formats only the latest blocks - regional dexes, in Pokemon terms - are allowed). Rather than being able to use all ~720 you'd only be allowed the ~450 in the Kalos dex, for example. Other regional dexes have been 200-300 mon (the enhanced versions anyway for Hoenn and Unova).
Old 02-12-2015, 12:00 PM   #13
Talon87
時の彼方へ

We've seen this in two seasons. The first Gen 5 season was UnovaDex only and the first Gen 6 season was KalosDex only. There was much criticism for each, as most people want to be allowed to play with their favorites and have full access to the wealth of tactics the game has to offer. But there was much less criticism for the Kalos one than for the pioneering Unova one, both before and during the format. People, especially competitive players, realized or came to realize that the regional dex formats provided for a fun shake-up, that the NationalDex format was not without its complaints. I don't know about most, but I'd say that many VGCers were openly hoping for a HoennDex instead of a NationalDex for VGC 2015. The NationalDex was still well received, but I think people were interested to try something with a new flavor again.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 10:32 PM   #14
precita
Boulder Badge

Aren't there like almost 30 legendaries now? I've honestly lost count somewhere around Gen IV-V.

Hard to believe we went from the initial 5 legends (Mew, Mewtwo and the birds) to what we have now. Looking back Moltres and Articuno look so lackluster and primitive to the insane legends we get today that can control time and space.
Old 02-13-2015, 04:37 AM   #15
Pink Harzard
Boulder Badge

Well, I will do a Legendary count
Gen 1: Articuno, Zapdos, Moltres, Mewtwo, Mew (5)
Gen 2: Raikou, Entei, Suicune, Lugia, Ho-oh, Celebi (6)
Gen 3: Regirock, Regice, Registeel, Latias, Latios, Kyogre, Groudon, Rayquaza, Jirachi, Deoxys (10)
Gen 4: Uxie, Mesprit, Azelf, Dialga, Palkia, Heatran, Regigigas, Giratina, Cresselia, Phione, Manaphy, Darkrai, Shaymin, Arceus (14)
Gen 5: Victini, Cobalion, Terrakion, Virizion, Tornadus, Thundorus, Reshiram, Zekrom, Landorus, Kyurem, Keldeo, Meloetta, Genesect (13)
Gen 6: Xerneas, Yveltal, Zygarde, Diancie, Hoopa, Volcanion (6)

Total= 54

That is a lot of Legends if you ask me

Thanks to Chapter of Charizard from Serebiiforums for the Button

Scythedactyl and Chrismasuicune made by Machamp-X and Kryptos. Thanks for these ^^

Friend code info

Randomness:
Quote:
You can't gang-rape a Regice.

No genitals.
--------------------------------------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by swampertforever View Post
And this is the bit where I'm confused at PHs gender
I'm a tomboyish girl ;)
Quote:
When I was at school, I used my phone to play Snake.

Which I still do today!

Nokia 3310 master race
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingothestone View Post
>Calling me Kingo
It's Kots, damnit. Kots. As in the Dutch word for vomit. As in an abbreviation for (K)ing(o)(t)he(s)tone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneezey12 View Post
Oh, hey kingo, how's life?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercutio View Post
There is a user called Pink Harzard. Enjoy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akanjăo View Post
It's true, her username on SPPF is harzard as well. I never noticed that? Lord. But I wonder... Why Harzard?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelphon View Post
Just to troll the masses (I don't actually know)
Geehee

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotomotorz View Post
Harzad, you lied to us x(
Lies:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercutio View Post
I've realised that I've become one of those Facebook farmers I mock so often. When I woke up several hours ago I immediately checked my emails, checked job sites and watered my berries. Last night, I did the same and anagedto time it perfectly and fly to the place just as my persims were sprouting, so I got to harvest the berry crop as it came and replant.

Damn it, Pokémon.
-------------------------------------------------
Some dickish talk:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kairne View Post
didn't they remove Blaziken's crotchtuft with the 3D models?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Harzard View Post
I didn't realise Blaziken even had that. It is there, but a bit small.
The first crotchtuft that caught my eyes was that of Reshiram. I mean, that one is big.
Quote:
You should know better than to say suggestive things like this in front of me.

Someone's a size queen
Quote:
Reshiram
Quote:
Well, I mean Blaziken is literally a cock
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machamp-X View Post
HAIL THE ALMIGHTY CROTCHTUFT
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkLucarioADV View Post
Kakuna tho.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Harzard View Post
Don't forget Metapod
Quote:
Looks like we're about to complete the Pokédix
Quote:
I had a floating blue Metapod. Good times

Oh, and insert something here about Harden and String Shot
Quote:
Run children, it is no longer safe for you here.

---------------------------------------------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by A random Nuzlocke-comic-artist I found on the net
I just realised something...

Pokemon is the only world where Evolution and Creationism can co-exist! Huh.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The same guy as above
But yes good ol' Charles Darwin... he's got nothing to smile about when it comes to Pokemon...
Fer all ye PASBL info

Poem with a smile

Smiling is infectious
you catch it like a flu
when someone smiled at me today
I started smiling too

I passed around the corner
and noticed with a grin
when someone smiled back at me
I'd passed it on to him

I thought about my smile
and realised its worth
a single smile, just like mine
could travel around the earth

So if you feel a smile begin
don't leave in undetected
lets start an epidemic now
and get the world infected
Pink Harzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 08:12 PM   #16
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

Yeah "legendary" kinda lost all meaning around gen III or IV. VI's legend list looks reasonably until you remember the dex was half sized.

One thing that occurs to me with how many mon we have is that post III or IV it became impossible to reasonably have the whole dex in one game. 450 (Kalos) was stupid big and still only made about two thirds of the dex. There are about 100 pokemon you cannot catch at all in gen V and even with the excessively large Kalos dex there are a number of regular mon you can't catch until the postgame in gen VI. The numbers are getting seriously unwieldy. There's a limit to how many pokemon you can feasibly fit into one game, a limit to how many games they can make a gen and (as hardware improves) a limit to how much inter-gen connectivity you can do - how many more pokemon can they make before we start seeing mon that are just outright unobtainable even through inter-gen trading?

Last edited by Concept; 02-13-2015 at 08:26 PM.
Old 02-14-2015, 01:51 AM   #17
Quilavaflare
Cascade Badge

Send a message via Skype™ to Quilavaflare
I don't know what to think, honestly. I can't even imagine Pokémon ever ending, and yet at the same time it's just as scary to think that the Pokedex could number in the thousands some day. That's not even a plausible number. Even the most devoted fans would have trouble recognizing them all. I sometimes forget a Pokémon's name when I see it even though there are only 700 something now. If Freak wants to go on making new characters, and still be realistic, then I find it very likely that in the future there will be setups more akin to the way Black and White worked; only Pokémon from that region can actually be in the region. Except even more strict, likely. Or, at least, hopefully by the time we hit 1500 or so hard/software is advanced enough that we can whip out in-game dexes mid-battle. Otherwise it would just become silly, and rather impossible for anyone to actually fulfill the dream of "catching 'em all".

Friend Code/Username list
3DS: 0748-3092-2840
Y Trainer Name: Roy
[Friend Safari: Paras, Vivillon, Beautifly]
Pokemon Showdown: Quilavaflare
Nintendo Network: Snowboos

Quilavaflare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 03:07 AM   #18
precita
Boulder Badge

You also can't forget remake after remake. People thought they wouldn't remake Gold/Silver or Ruby/Sapphire either (especially back in 2004 when FR/LG was thought to be a one-time thing) and yet they did.

I fully expect DP to be remade in the next couple of years too. We're just going to keep cycling through endless remakes too because the kids that grow up with a particular gen will be adults craving remakes.

Hard to believe so many people started with Ruby/Sapphire as their first games now as opposed to Red/Blue, but then I realize 2003 is 12 years ago and realize how much time has passed.
Old 02-14-2015, 05:13 PM   #19
deoxys
Fog Badge

Really though, where the fuck is our Dolphin Pokemon? And while we're at it, how about a Gorilla, more owls, Flamingo, Emu, Red Panda, Tiger (not Raikou), Capybara, Pegasus, Narwhal, Manatee...??

There are a lot of animals that still haven't seen the light of day as Pokemon.

I reckon we will start to see less and less Pokemon introduced per gen slowly but surely until it taps out around 1,500 - 2,000. Mega Pokemon aside this gen released the lowest amount thus far in a gen and I imagine they are slowly working toward centralizing the games around the experience rather than the amount of new Pokemon. Once they get to over the 1,000 mark they will be able to pump out games and regions that are essentially just grab bag mixtures of past gens thrown together, which is sort of what Kalos already did aside from the 80 or so new Pokemon. I really believe that is going to be the direction they have to head in and so the challenge will become "How can we keep Pokemon 'fresh' each time without introducing a new plethora or creatures?", and we sort of saw that with XY being the first big 3D Pokemon game + all of the online features + Mega Evolutions.

That's my take on it. I doubt they will ever stop making at the very least three new starters for every region unless they start mixing that up as well and doing shit like Chikorita, Chimchar, and Froakie. That aside it's gonna be less about adding new Pokemon over time because it would not be healthy for the series to have more Pokemon than fans can memorize, and instead will become more about new experiences, and that is going to be a tough challenge.
deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 05:15 PM   #20
Mercutio
Banned

Yeah I've gone back to playing about with my Brit!imaginarygame and have shoehorned in a dolphon Pokémon because fuck you Gamefreak we do not need two varieties of fucking oyster.
Mercutio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 11:46 PM   #21
precita
Boulder Badge

Why don't they just slow down the time between new gens? Its not like we have to have a new generation every 3 years.

The span from R/S to DP was 4 years, same from DP to BW. Its only now the gap went back down to 3 years.
Old 02-16-2015, 05:13 AM   #22
Schadenfreude
Volcano Badge

Send a message via Skype™ to Schadenfreude
One of these days, we will get a kangaroo Pokemon that actually resembles a kangaroo or a wallaby. God knows what Kangaskhan is meant to be. Australia is already filled with animals which are bizarre enough to pass as Pokemon; it's only a matter of time before GameFreak adapts Australia. Inb4 all the spider Pokemon.
Schadenfreude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 05:24 AM   #23
PikaGod
Marsh Badge

I would argue that Breloom pretty obviously looks like a kangaroo.
Old 02-16-2015, 11:47 AM   #24
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

Man I dunno about anyone else but I, for one, am looking forwards to when we have 3,000 pokemon, have them all memorized, yet still only have maaaaaybe 100 species of real animals memorized.

It's gonna be awesome

(Picking favorites is going to be even harder though)

I surprisingly really like 'cept's idea of the competitive scene being only the latest gen or so, with casual/traditional play having all Pokemon to choose from. Would also bring about some fairly interesting metas, and since unlike card games, Pokemon is about using free pieces of data, it doesn't really hurt the players any either! As long as that Traditional format is still there so I can Umbreon/Weezing core all day.
People should watch what they enjoy regardless of what others think, even if it's a terribad guilty pleasure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
Though, I also dislike the concept of lamenting the current day while wishing to re-experience the past. At least, my modern attitude is to try and make each new day magical even if it's not, since exclusively reminiscing about the past is too pathetic.
Kindrindra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 09:22 PM   #25
rotomotorz
Think ye can take me?

idk about you but I want to see a Clock Pokemon, Treadmill Rotom, and a couple more household objects as Pokemon
{======|_|""T""|_|""r""|_|""a""|_|""i""|_|""n""|
/o--000'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'
Squad Summary

rotomotorz is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Debate